Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• preuningpreuning Member Posts: 6
    Looking to trade in '96 Ford Windstar on 2WD Patherfinder LE or 4-Runner SR5 with upgrade wheels and Sunroof.

Major Needs:
    1) Carrying capacity for family trips
    2) Ease of maintenance and economy
    3) Future ability to tow small runabout - 19 foot or smaller

Any recommendations - I'm favoring the 4-runner because of Toyota quality but rollover of the truck-based SUV is concern.
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    I'm not sure if any of the consumer orgs. or magazines have commented, but I think the Pathfinder is the best buy right now in the SUV market. I realized this AFTER I bought it - bought it because I fell in love with the engine. I traded my 90 4Runner for the Pathfinder (2001). Build quality, from what I've seen so far, is equivalent (I do all my own maint. and frequently have torn into both vehicles to add aftermarket stuff). The current 4Runner is 3 to 4 thousand more (in Canada).

The rollover debate, I think, is nonsense, perpetrated by legal fears. I've had SUVs (and Landcruisers, if they are SUVs) for 30 years now, and I travel faster on curvy roads than almost anyone else (I say this because I've only been passed one or two times each 10 hour driving day on those types of roads). I have never "lost control", squeeled tires, or ever lifted a wheel. Yup, the vehicle will roll if certain conditions are met - so will the lowest car - the conditions are just less extreme for an SUV. Always wear your seatbelt, and make sure you properly tie down cargo (so if you do roll it will not bash you in the head!). We should always be doing that anyway, in any vehicle.
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    Preuning
    I have always been a proud owner of Toyotas (Previa, Corolla, Pickup and Corona), Hondas (always have an Accord) and Nissans (Altima, Quest)

Now 2001 PF LE and biggest consideration was the power (plus the wife likes the design and she had to pick the color too the beige but I personally like the bronze gray)

HP PF 240 @6,000 (Runner 183 @ 4,800)
    Torque PF 265 @3,200 (Runner 217 @3,600)

Quality personally I do not see any quality problems on the Nissans as opposed to the general impression that the Hondas and Toyotas are better in quality

Towing based on the HP I will give the edge to the PF right now
    (I would like to think that the Runner is now due for an upgrade in engine considering that the cheaper Highlander has a higher horsepower)

Design model is a personal decision. I like both but my feeling is that both the Runner and the PF will have a big change for the year 2003 that may come out middle or fall of 2002

Roll over (check nhtsa web site. It is your choice to believe these tests or not)
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Pathfinder 4 x 4 and Lexus RX300
    Front driver 4 stars Front passenger 5 stars
    Side driver 5 stars Side passenger 5 stars
    Rollover resistance 3 stars

Runner 4x4
    Front driver 4 stars Front passenger 4 stars
    Side driver 5 stars Side passenger 5 stars
    Roll over resistance 3 stars

Strange but the PF 4X2 was given only 2 stars for rollover resistance. The highest rating that I saw for all the SUVs tested was a 3 star maybe because their height compared to cars that some are given 5 stars. Whatever you will decide enjoy!
    Les
    I purchased the mask for my 01 PF LE from our local dealer here in the bay area

You need a little stretching the first time you install, but the Nissan brand has a perfect fit on the vehicle

It can be little pricey over other places, but since I won a $50 accessory certificate when I attended the service orientation, I ended up paying cheap for the bra. I just use it though for long trips and not let it stay for a long period of time as it may leave marks
    preuning
    typo but the runner is showing only 2 stars for the rollover resistance. I will suggest that you visit the website to check. sorry for the mistake
  • loboyloboy Member Posts: 75
    Preuning,
    I think both are fine vehicles. As for quality, they are equal, IMHO. Didn't the PF won JD Powers' Initial Quality Award? I decided on the PF for the value. Also, I find the ride on the PF to be more accomodating. If you do more traveling than off-roading, than a PF would be better suited.

When I first started looking for a SUV in 99, I had settled on a 4Runner myself and almost bought one in 2000, until the 2001 PF came out in April. I really liked the new larger engine. The 4Runner is due for a change soon, maybe next year and a larger engine? Who knows, that may level the playing field. Of course, the responses you get depends on which forum you are asking the question. Good luck.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    I think your criteria are too general. Nearly all mid-size and larger SUVs meet your major requirements. You might need to be more specific in your comparisons. But here are some of my comments about the Pathfinder (I don't have that much first-hand experience with the 4Runner)

1) Carrying capacity for family trips
    Probably the same for both vehicles: 5 occupants. The Pathfinder will comfortably fit
    2 adults, 2 medium-sized kids, baby seat, or 2 adults, and 2 teenagers. Squeezing 3 persons the size of an average teenager into the rear seat will make some butts fall asleep.

2) Ease of maintenance and economy
    This depends on how close you live to a Toyota or Nissan dealership. It's no more difficult to drive a Pathfinder to the dealer than a 4Runner. If you intend to do your own oil changes, spark plugs, air filters, fuel filters, etc then I believe they are similar.

Fuel economy is comparable between the two.

3) Future ability to tow small runabout - 19 foot or smaller

Pathfinder has a larger (240hp) motor. This is a distinct advantage.

You should narrow your criteria more; make the choice depending on a wider variety of factors, like how does it drive, how does it feel (interior fit and finish), how do you like the interior layout and features (cupholders, controls, storage, etc.)
  • tonverangatonveranga Member Posts: 29
    considering trading my 01 LE for a 02 with a Navigation. Does anybody know of any sites that has a picture of the 02 model? how much is the price difference?
    Looking like we will go with the Pathfinder over 4-runner (2WD SE with auto and sunroof).

One question: Does the PF really need premium? I run midgrade in my '98 I30 with no problems and I think the PF has a similar engine, just 3.5L vs. 3.0L for the I30.
  • pogitopogito Member Posts: 10
    In response to Preuning:
    We recently had our one week summer vacation to Hamilton, Ohio in our '01 SE Pathy. (we are from Fairfax, VA). Filled my tank with Texaco Premium unleaded, we decided to go through I 68 which is up and down mountainous route and set the cruise control at 73 mph, no problem. Then half way into I 68 in W Virginia, we stopped by to eat lunch, the tank displayed a little more than half full. I decided to fill it again this time with Citgo Power Plus unleaded. I assumed this will not hurt because more than half full 93 octane + 8 gallons of power plus 89 should maintain 91 octane which the owner manual says is recommended to the Pathy. On the I 68 again still up and down, the Pathy began to display hesitation, surging at times on cruise control at about 70 mph.
    My wife and I thought it is the poor quality of gas from Citgo.
    I suggest for optimum performance, stick with premium and named brand gasoline.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    When the manufacturer recommends or suggests whats best for your vehicle, I say go with what's recommended. If your attempt is to save some pennies, buy a CRV or RAV4. The PF and all true SUV's with a 6 or an 8 cyl engine... drink fuel like a thirsty camel. These are not Eco Vehicles. Nissan is not purposely trying to make you pay more at the pump...they are suggesting your vehicle runs best with premium fuel. Now if you choose to operate your PF on regular, I'm certain your truck will run fine. But your gas milage will suffer even more, running it on a lower octane...so go figure!
    Passenger room and seating comfort for wife and two kids wins out over fun truck for Dad.

We went with an SE 2WD silver with gray cloth interior - liked cloth in SE much more than cloth in LE.

Wife is happily loading up CDs in the changer and playing with sunroof - both were missing in her minivan.

As to the deal - You always feel like you've left money on the table. Bottom line - go for the best price possible then ask for the 0.9% financing.

On the fuel issue - salesman said you can run midgrade in the PF but you won't get all 240 horses - whatever that means. Since the Costco near us sells 93-octane premium for the same price at 89-midgrade, the PF should dine in style...and often :-(
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    I get 19.3 mpg with premium fuel and have been getting 19.7 to 21.3 with regular fuel and the 2001 Service Manual says to use at least 87 octane. I say use whatever works the best for your needs. If you are going to run the engine at 240 hp at 6000 rpm you might want to use premium!
    Yes your PF can and will run on at least 87 octane...regular. Over the long term with continuous use of regular fuel can shorten the life of the engine...something to do with the computer chip constantly having to adjust to the lower octane...retardation of the spark etc...etc. Skip2 posted an excellent artical written by experts in this field many posts back regarding this debate...auto's using a lower octane when it's manufacturers recommend premium fuel. If you've spent 30 grand or more why cheat your self for a few bucks? This I don't understand. It's like going to a a fine dining restaurant and not wanting to pay their prices...why go to a expensive restaurtant in the first place...eating at McDonalds does the trick for a while...but in the long run eating that junk will do a number on the arteries and then you die.
    The Nissan service manual for the 2001 PF does state the min octane is 87. Fuel is blended (regular and premium) with heptane and isobutane which are very volatile to establish the octane. The reason I get better fuel mileage and the engine runs smother with regular is the stations I use have a very high turn-over rate on there fuel and get the freshest fuel. You in turn put flat soda-pop at champagne prices in your PF. Generaly no one knows what octane they are realy getting.
    I use to run my PF on flat soda pop and was dissapionted in the measley 19-20 mpg. But now that I've switched to premium Champagne, I'm getting a remarkable 30-32 mpg.
  • engle3engle3 Member Posts: 12
    As bimmer4me mentioned, skips2 post #2672 on May 23 was very informative. Since I tend to keep my autos through many sets of tires, I'm following skips2 advice.

My perfect Pathfinder is getting 20 mpg on the highway.
  • captainroncaptainron Member Posts: 58
    Hi all,

I just thought I'd share this with a typically sympathetic crowd... I went to the local Discount Tire store to get the set of Pirelli Scorpion AT (255/70R16) tires put on my 2001 LE last Thursday. I waited in the waiting room...(you can't do anything else there...it's what the room is for). After about an hour, I got the truck back, drove it to the office and noticed the rear-quarted had been scraped...Like the low-speed paint exchange type of scrape. It covered about 10 inches along the rear bumper fascia that wraps around the passenger side. It also took out the rear mud flap on that side and some paint along the lower edge of the fender flair. Pretty gruesome to look at really.

I tried to figure out if it definitely happened at the tire shop, but I couldn't pin it on them for sure. I had meetings to go to and by the time I could get back to the shop, I'm sure the object/car that was hit or hit me would have been gone. Lacking this "smoking gun," I decided to just grumble about it and move on.

I drove my Prelude to work on Friday and when I got home at around 1:00am, there was a note on my Pathfinder windshield!!! Can you believe it??? "Hey, bumped your car, Bob, 555-1234." I was thrilled. I called him on Saturday and he said, "Yeah, sorry about that...was there much damage to your front bumper?" FRONT??? I pulled over and sure enough, I was hit on the front quarter as well! I've had the Pathfinder off-road 6 times now and I get body damage sitting in a parking lot? TWICE in 24 hours! Well, I just thought I'd share...

For those of you interested in the $$$ details, the breakdown is as follows:

Front bumper fascia: $216
    Painting in body color: $274
    Fender flair (already in body color) $300
    Mud Flap (already in body color) $110
    "Enjoying the Ride"?: Priceless

I was able to polish out the rear fascia and it came out perfect.

Captain Ron...
  • nutsnuts Member Posts: 9
    FYI

I've been having problems with my fuel gauge on my new 2001 PF on long trips it gets 'stuck' at a little over a 1/2 a tank. First time I noticed it was on a long drive 150+ miles then the next tank I had no problem (a lot of smaller trips none more than 30 miles at a time) then second time it happened was coming home from the long trip. I'm pretty sure it's the mechanical device in the tank because it came back down after a few days of city driving (i only added 4 gallons of gas to try to keep it below the 1/2 mark so I could show the dealer but I had to wait a week to bring it in and it dropped to what I think is the right level). They will be switching the fuel level indicator in the tank, anyone have a similar problem?

If you think your gas mileage is too good to be true, it is.
  • liebesiliebesi Member Posts: 33
    Am I missing something or is there no good place to put loose change in the 01 Pathfinder?? Right now I keep it in the ashtray but thats not real easy..

Just bought a cargo mat for the rear from mats.com, I will let everyone know how it is once I get it in the next day or two.

I am still being told by most people to use only reg unleaded that it is a waste of money to put premium in the Pathfinder?? Dealer says Reg but everyone online says Premium...I went halfway for the third fill up and used mid-grade...any more suggestions...
  • nissanlovernissanlover Member Posts: 48
    I am thinking about buying new PF LE in this week. I want to get SE because it's a lot cheaper but my parents want power seat and leather. Full option with SE and LE doesn't make difference but LE you get automatic 4x4, and woodtrim as well. What is the fair price of LE with leather, Limited Slip Differential? Does LSD really worth to get it? I am from NJ area if price might difference by region.
    Does anybody know anything about these Dealer Incentive thing? How much is it anyway? Is there any rebate/incentive I should know before I go to dealer? I researched hard for PF(for a month), and $30000 for LE with full option(except Navigation) seems pretty fair. Cardirect.com selling for $31010. I know a dealer advertised automatic SE for $25499(MSRP 314--). If I can get similar discount in LE, I should get it around 30k, right?
    Does anybody know their score guide line for special APR? 0.9% for 36Mo look very attractive yet I want to make sure if I can get it. Do they score by Beacon FICO? I wrote a letter to Finance Nissan DEPT, but they told me to contact local dealer.
    There is a small change holder to the left below the outside mirror control. It is the door to the fuse box. Keep track off all the fuel you use and the mileage. Try running regular for several tanks and premium several tanks. I got the best mileage and the engine ran smother with regular fuel from stations that have a high turn-over
    rate. 90% or more of the cars use regular fuel and the premium fuel sets in the stations tanks and the fuel looses its octane. Also there is nothing in the engine control system that detects what octane fuel is in the tank. There is a piezoelectric knock sensor if it detects detonation will retard the spark some.
    Please read your owner's manual thoroughly. It will indicate such features as the coin holder as well as what fuel Nissan recommends for you Pathfinder.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    captainron,

Sorry to hear about the dings. Thanks for the pics, they are great! I was impressed about the amount of articulation you got fom the stock suspension.

How do the tires fit? does it feel any taller? Any rubbing?

I called Rancho this a.m. to see if they had any small (1.5"-2") lifts for the '00 or '01 Pathy, but they don't. :-(

A question about your mudflaps, do you drag them often when going through some of the deeper pits? If so, have they sustained any damage or wanted to tear off? The reason I ask is that they seem a little stiff & I'd almost rather take out a few screws and pull them off temporarily if needed rather than ripping them off accidentally. Thoughts?

One more thing, have you seen any aftermkt skid plates?

Thanks in advance
    Brian

p.s the Zino Pics are incredible. Who's bimmer in the background? style 30 wheels, can't be sure?
  • captainroncaptainron Member Posts: 58
    Brian,

No problem on the pics...If anyone else wants a few shots of a burnt cherry Pathfinder both off-road (dusty) and on-road (Zaino!), just let me know. I was pretty surprised by the articulation as well...I was very *stuck* in that one photo because I had both corner wheels off the ground! I'm thinking about rigging up a quick disconnect for the anti-sway bars to allow for more movement.

The tires fit just fine, but I haven't had them tucked up under the wheel wells in some extreme spot yet. I'll let you know. They are a bit taller...actually, I rolled one over next to my friend's Durango (31x10.5x15) and the Pirelli's are a slight bit taller. Understanding of course that there was no weight on my tires at the time and his tires have 20,000 miles of wear. They raise the truck up (at the axles) by about .75" and therefore should give me slightly more ground clearance. They do have a "hum" on the freeway, but it's not at an uncomfortable level. Also, they are stiffer in the sidewalls, so the Pathfinder is more responsive when doing the tight turns.

The only way I know to lift the new Pathfinders is to replace the factory springs with taller or higher rate springs like xplorx4 (Dean)did. The rear axle...being a live axle...isn't tough at all...the front independant suspension is a little trickier and you need to understand the dynamics of what's happening before going too radical.

I didn't think I draged the mudflaps 'cause frankly...they're way back there...But when I removed my crunched one, I noticed the bottom of it was scraped up pretty good. They are stiff for sure...there's a plate of aluminum that runs through most of it to keep it's shape. You could remove it before going off road...it would take a stubby phillips head screwdriver to remove the 5 or 6 screws holding it on. At $110 each...not a bad idea.

I haven't seen aftermarket skid plates...I'm not to the point where I'm getting in that deep... : )

The BMW in the background is my friend's. We Zaino'd both the same day and it, being a black car, looked amazing. I took a shot into the hood and if it weren't for the BMW emblem, it'd be hard to tell it from a straight shot of the sky.

Anyway...sorry for the long-winded post...

Captain Ron. . .
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    You'll find that there is nearly no significant off-road aftermarket support for the Pathfinders (96 and up). A 2" lift for the Pathfinder IS available, but not from major suspension lift companies like Rancho.

In August 1999 I contacted an independent spring manufacturer and had 2" lift coil springs custom-made for my 97 PF for less than $500 installed. Since then, the springs have been made available at Automotive Customizers, and numerous Pathfinder owners have lifted their rides. You can contact them if you're interested in any modifications for your Pathfinder. Their BBS is also a good resource. By the way, you can squeak a little more articulation out of the rear suspension with slightly longer shocks.

My 97 Pathfinder mods

• chenzhuochenzhuo Member Posts: 1
    New graduate, just decided to loan a PF LE/2WD/fully equipped (w/o Nev/ent).

Prices from Edmunds:

Invoice 29253
    MSRP 32313
    TMV 28752

one of the local dealers (in San Dingo) quotes 29895, with 3.9% APR/60mo.

Is this a fair price while time's approaching August?
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    You can do better than that in Orange County or LA, maybe even closer to home.
  • wags6wags6 Member Posts: 4
    I've had my Sherwoood Green SE since May 29th, and I have 5,100 miles on it. Absolutely flawless driving to date. Some updates and responses to posts I've read:

Re: 5 spd. manual -I've owned 7 manual transmission trucks - going back to an '89 Ford F-150 5 spd. V-8, also 4Runners, Tacomas, etc. I live in Northern New England and do lots of mountain, sand dune, and deep snow driving. I wouldn't ever drive an auto. The control you get from 4 wheel drive mated to the 5 spd. is phenomenal... you are pretty much at one with the truck. On dry road, the vehicle feels far more agile and athletic going through the gears vs. an auto. It's downright fun to drive and sounds pretty good too.

Re: Bug Guard
    I bought the Nissan guard designed for the '01 Path. Didn't like the idea of sticking adhesive-backed foam to my hood forever, so instead I adhered the foam to the six supports on the guard itself. No muss, no fuss, and no fading or scratching to worry about. I take it off every week when I wash the truck. Foam is still holding up just fine. Overall.. it's worth the investment - saves lots of bug scrubbing and road debris scratches. It looks great too - - smoked, so it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb like some after market jobbies.

Re: Dents and Scratches
    I'm actually amazed that I've been able to go this long without some idiot adorning my truck with its first dent. I had some beach chairs tied to the roof rack a couple weeks ago, and proceeded to inflict some damage myself. As I was removing one of the chairs, I dropped it. It left a dime-sized dimple in the roof just forward of the rear wind deflector. It's essentially hidden... you cannot see it standing next to the truck, but I know it's there and it's killing me. I may seek out the dent removal boys at some point in the future.

Re: Interior Design
    Yes, the opening under the radio is completely and utterly useless - won't even hold change.
    I also hate trying to eject a CD when I'm in 3rd or 5th gear - need to be a contortionist. I'd like to see ex tenders on the visors, a map pocket on the back of the driver's seat, a remote rear window release, leather availability with the 5 speed, a grab handle for the driver's side pillar, and a bigger console. Don't get me wrong, despite my "wish list", the truck is still an overall awesome ownership experience - - the mega-positives crush any negatives that arise.

Re: Trailer Hitch
    Had Nissan install OEM hitch as part of the purchase deal. I love the step feature. Tows my 19 ft. cuddy beautifully. No sway, no lag, ..."like a rock" as they say.

Re: Overall
    The truck is awesome. I commute 120 miles RT per day. 80 mph @ 3,100 rpm all the way. 20.7 mpg consistently!!! I love the look, the feel, the performance, and the durability. Everybody who rides in this vehicle has the same initial comments: "It feels so solid", and "it's really sharp looking - who makes it again?".
    I highly recommend this truck over all others within $5-10K - nothing comes close... believe me -I looked at EVERYTHING out there. Would love to see Nissan stretch the '02 or '03 about 4 or 5 inches, but I hope they stay with the 5 spd. as an option.

Sorry for the long post, but can't say enough bout this buggy.
    Good luck to all fellow owners. Would love similar updates from y'all.
  • mattbrown15mattbrown15 Member Posts: 7
    I live in CT and am taking delivery on our new loaded PF LE (minus nav & entertainment system) tomorrow. Can't wait. Without asking, the dealer gave us $500 below invoice (factory to dealer incentive of $500 right now). We also got the 3.9% financing. Dealer said that they actually get $150 from Nissan financing to set up the loan. Hope it helps anyone with what others are getting price wise.
    I just got my SE and dealer gladly offered up the 0.9% financing for 36 months after getting very close to invoice on the price. Doesn't cost the dealer anything.

Dealer did say your credit needs to be strong.
  • erhein2erhein2 Member Posts: 11
    wags6: Tell me about the dings just killing you. My 2001 bronzed grey PF SE is 2 months old. Two weeks ago we bought a 2001 Sentra. After we've had the Sentra less than a week, my 17 year old daughter is maneuvering the Sentra out of the garage next to the PF which is to her right. She's angling to the left while in reverse, watching the left rear of the Sentra. Meanwhile, the right front of the Sentra, specifically the right side mirror, is contacting the rear quarter panel of the PF, leaving a crease and paint on the PF just behind the gas filler door. The bumper of the Sentra is also leaving a couple of scratches on the wheel well of the PF. Cost to repair: $451.00. Not major damage, but it's killing me knowing it's there and it HAS to be fixed even though it comes out of my pocket ($500 deductible). One of the hazards of having a teenage driver even though she's normally real careful. Just inexperience.
  • usarmytttusarmyttt Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2001 LE and just put on a bug guard, really like the look too...couple ?'s.......you arent' having any problem with foam scratching the paint? I had thought about doing the same thing with the padding but then decided to put on by the directions...but it is killing me knowing the longer that adhesive is on the paint the harder it will be to get off eventually. Did yours come with enough padding to cover all the brackets? When you take it off weekly to wash your Pathfinder do you remove the rubber seal on the lower inside of the hood? How do you get it off? When I installed mine I used a pair of pliers and ended up cracking one of them.....feed back would be greatly appreciated!
  • erhein2erhein2 Member Posts: 11
    I also bought the Nissan deflector. Unfortunately, while installing it, it slid off the hood of my vehicle and hit end first on the floor and snapped like a twig. I e-mailed Nissan asking for a replacement for free, or for a nominal cost and never heard back from them. I bought a replacement by Macneil and installed it last weekend. I like it very much. Rather than use the tape, I used the screws and drilled four tiny holes under the hood. Very secure installation.
  • rdorardora Member Posts: 4
    What are 4WD LE's with leather leasing for these days? Has anybody gotten a 36 mo. 12,000 mi/yr. with no down payment lease below $400/mo.? Thanks!
  • pondfull5pondfull5 Member Posts: 53
    Wags6:
    Yes for some one like me who has had this 5 speeder for the past four months and only 6000km on it,I could not agree with you better. For this Pf 5 Speeder Is Just Fun To Drive!!!.
    So please keep up with your posting.
    full5.
    Is there such thing as Nissan Loyalty Rebate? What is it anyway? I saw Infiniti dealer had put advertisement that Infiniti Loyalty Rebate: $1000.
    Does it mean I had to purchase Infiniti from that dealer? Or I just have to own Infiniti cars regardless where I purchased previously..
    Thank you
  • hattrick16hattrick16 Member Posts: 16
    I have almost 1000 miles on my '01 PF SE and I am read to do the first oil change before my trip to NYC. I have the correct filter from Nissan, but what oil should I use? I am planning on going with the 5W-30. Thanks for your help.
  • baddestbob1baddestbob1 Member Posts: 96
    Bought my SE, auto, cloth for net of $24,671 including US Customs, before current rebate. My protest against duty on Canada taxes was rejected by Port Director but I have bucked that decision through my congressman and is now under review by kept. of Treasury in D.C. If you have paid this you have 90 days from entry to file a protect with POE. If I get a favorable ruling you may get a refund. Took about 5 weeks to get GST refund, paid in US$, another 10 days to get Ontario, paid in CAN$.
    Didn't bother changing odometer to miles it's easy to figure and speedo shows both.
    I installed a HH Cl 3 tube hitch with a plastic hitch cover that gives a slick look, can be painted. Bought Mart mats to go over Nissan mats that came with truck. Close color match and cheap protection. Used Meguiar's Show Car glaze, Yellow Wax # 26. Endurance Tire Gel and Mother's Back to Black on trim. Figure vehicle sat in elements for XX days so protect ASAP.
    Don't understand why roof doesn't have fore and aft rails, if you put anything on it scratches are bound to happen. And why no tint in front windows, at least a little at the top of windshield?
    If I drive 15K per year at 15MPG= 1000 gallons of gas. Cost difference 87/91=$ .20 or $200 a year, yeah, I can do that.
    hattrick16,
    I replaced mine with 10W-30. I believe 5W-30 is okay too. What's the part number on your new oil filter? I'm asking because there has been some debate about which is the correct filter, 65F00 or 31U00 (same as 9E000). I have the 31U00, which is a 1/3 larger than the 65F00.
    Thanks
  • goblue96goblue96 Member Posts: 33
    Yes there is a Nissan loyalty program, and it works at any dealer regardless of where you purchased. We turned our Altima lease in to purchase our PF. Nissan basically waived all fees for both cars, plus gave us a rebate. It's actually one of the many reasons we ended up going with the PF.
    Good Luck.
  • hattrick16hattrick16 Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

Before I changed it I checked what the original filter was: 65F01. I sent my husband to get the filter, but he came back with the 65F00. They look identical. Boy it was tough getting the first one off. Not too much room to work under there. I e-mailed the dealer last week and they said I should be using the 65F00. He said that the 9E000 was for the 2000 PF. I still can't believe that the PF has such a little filter. My last GMC Jimmy's filter was twice the size. The dealer also said I should use Kendall Oil, but I had no luck finding it and I'm going on a trip this weekend. I used Penzoil. Hope I made a good choice! I bought the cap type filter wrench at Autozone...guess their machining is a little off. I tested it in the store, but when I tried to use it, the thing just slipped and I bashed my hand on that bar thing. I had to put some adhesive felt in the cap wrench, then it worked fine. Nothing is ever simple!
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    Canadian Pathfinders should have plastic fore-aft on the roof, secured with double-sided tape on the roof boses-long (or whatever the correct term is for them). Unless Nissan are cheaping out! I got my LE last year and it had the stuff (solid black plastic - polyethylene I think - cuts with a knife easily). You may also notice the roof rack rails are stronger on the Canadian Pathfinder (perhaps because we Canadians always carry canoes? ;-)

I also have some tint in the top of the windshield, but no tint in the front side windows - this is Canadian law, as I understand it. No obscuring tint from driver forward.

Hattrick16, Penzoil is fine. I've been using 10W30 Penzoil for the last two changes (and due real soon now again).

Those changes requiring tire rotation are a real work-out. Torquing the nuts to ~95 ft-lbs is a lot of work! At least the wheels are a lot lighter than the ones on my 90 4Runner. Greasing is a laugh - one fitting!
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey PATHSTAR, where is the grease fitting you speak of? Is this to lubricate the propellor shaft? I don't have the service manual yet, so I wasn't sure where this is. Thanks...
    I'm with you on the size of the filter. The story I got from the parts guy at the dealer has to do about the oil pressure. But I'm not so sure. When I went to buy the filters, there was a buy 3 get 1 free deal on the 65F00, so I'm thinking they're trying to get rid of the overstocked filters. What's interesting is that the 2001 QX4 are using the 9E000 (supposedly for the 2000 PF). Either way, I'm waiting for Nissan HQ to tell me what to use in case of any warranty issues. I'll post if I have further info.
  • ac6000cwac6000cw Member Posts: 18
    The oil filter question has been pretty well covered in the FAQ.

http://members.home.net/hrumjahn/Pathfinder_FAQ.htm

I know the topic has been discussed (alot) several months ago and I hate to beat a dead horse to death, but I just wanted to check if there is any new info. I've read the FAQ (again) and the posts in the Care & Maintenance section in the Nissan Owner's forum. It doesn't sound like there is any consensus as to which is the correct filter. Even the dealers can't agree which is the correct one. So I'm going to the source and get it in writing.
    I have a copy from the Nissan dealer parts catalog and the correct filter is the 15208-65F00 filter. Amsoil filter is about the same size and Purolator has a new filter for all 2001 Nissans. Use of the smaller filters might due to the new environmental cost to recycle filters.