Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• pfwunpfwun Member Posts: 9
    Hi All,

I currently have a 2001PF-LE and live in the MD area. I called NISSAN WEST and they gave me a quote of $65 for oil/filter and tire rotation and that it would take 1-1.5 hours. Is that a rip off or what? Has anyone had their car serviced at Nissan West in baltimore MD? Any pros/cons to this place?

Any thoughts on service depts of Tischer, VOB, and Herb Gordan Nissan Dealerships in MD???

Would anybody be able to give me their experience on a 7500 scheduled maintenance? Thanks for your help/advice.

pfwun
  • tonverangatonveranga Member Posts: 29
    Which fog light bulb produces a yellow color (like the one on QX4) and how can I change the factory bulb?
    Has anyone noticed a black plastic thing under the gas pedal? Is this supposed to limit you top speed?
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Gladiator or I can give you the dealers name by email. Write one of us. I hate to "advertize" here on an open forum.
    -Jon
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    Enjoy your new toy...I love my 2001 PF LE. I had a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee...what a pile of junk. The PF is so much better in all areas, than the Jeep! Reliability comes to mind first...than fit and finish, the list goes on.
  • lesg2lesg2 Member Posts: 9
    I am carefully considering an 01 PF. Drove one today and really liked it, excellent power. I have a 2700 lb boat. Does anyone have experience towing a similar load? What speed can you maintain on the highway? I have trailer brakes so I'm not worred about stopping.

Thanks
    PFWannaBe
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Well, funny you should ask...I have a 2001 PF LE and my GF has a '97 Subaru Legacy Outback (wagon). We have a weekend house in the Catskills that is at the top of a hill at about 2600 ft. Snow is a major issue for us as the road is not always plowed and we get a lot of snow.

The subaru, with AWD, is really great in snow and its nice that you never have to worry about switching between snow and dry pavement. As good as the Outback is, the PF is even better. Besides having the AWD, if I choose, I can switch to 4WD if the snow is really deep or we're on the steep. I suppose the cutoff where the PF's advantage shows is probably around 8-10" on an uphill...not sure, of course, since I've never done a side by side. But I've driven both in snow quite a bit. I've actually thought of trying that when we have both vehicles up there (obviously, we normally take only one :-)).

Hope this helps.

Tom
    If you're only interested in highway use info, I can't help...haven't towed there. I do tow a 4000# boat/trailer and the PF handles it fine.

Tom
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    lesg2,

With my '01 LE 4x4, I frequently tow a 3400 lb. boat on a 900 lb. trailer. You definitely know that you are pulling 4300 lbs. behind you, but the 3.5L PF engine seems to handle it just as well as my former Grand Cherokee with the 5.2L V8.

The trailer has surge brakes, so braking is not much of an issue, although you need to allow for longer braking distances as in any towing situation. I have a twin axle trailer, and this seems to make for less sway when towing at highway speeds, although it is more difficult to make turns when backing up.

Since the V6 does not make as much low end torque as the much larger displacement V8 did, the engine seems to be happiest if you hold it in a lower gear keeping the RPM in the 2500-3000 range. If you let the trans do the shifting itself, you will often find your RPM down around 2000, and I can sense that the engine is "lugging" a bit. An added benefit of a lower gear is that the higher torque at the higher engine speed and less shifting will keep your transmission running cooler, and any trans shop will tell you that heat is the biggest enemy of a transmission. I don't have an aftermarket trans cooler.

I occasionally tow on some steep hills, and have noticed that the engine coolant gauge does not seem to rise at all even on a hot day. Hopefully this is a good sign! This is different than my experience with the Jeep where I would often see the temp gauge increase 20 or 30 degrees.

Regarding highway towing, I have seen many recommendations (especially in Trailer Boats magazine) not to use overdrive when towing. At 65 or 70 MPH the PF seems to be fine in overdrive so long as you as you are on a relatively flat stretch of road or a downgrade. At that highway speed the engine speed is sufficient even in overdrive. At a speed of 50-55 MPH, you will likely want to hold it out of overdrive, however. The most important thing to avoid is having the trans shifting frequently in and out of overdrive because the shifting produces heat.

My boat and trailer has a tonque weight of about 250 lbs. Compared to most SUV's, the PF has a relatively soft suspension, and I find the tonque weight significantly lowers the rear of the vehicle. I have purchased an Air Lift kit, but have not yet installed it. Anyone have any experience or recommendations for installing an Airlift kit on a PF?
    Thanks for the responses as it is encouraging. I have been tempted to purchase a domestic (Expedition) but after reading the horror stories, I'm looking for the best Japanese alternative. The Sequoia is too $$!!

I currently tow with a tacoma V6 which does fine but gets 65mph on the highway out of OD. In OD it lugs the engine too much. I believe a trans cooler is typically recommended for any towing condition. The salesman told me the SE has a beefier suspension than the XE or LE. I have not found this documented anywhere. Is it true or is he just a salesman?

Thanks again
    LesG
  • kmrqkmrq Member Posts: 50
    Can anyone help me which color wires do what....
    I need info on wires... under dash-board of driver-side. Like alarm wires.... HELP ME OUT PLEASE>........e-mail me with the listing... mr.q@onebox.com
    This has come up before. As far as everyone here knows, the suspension for all trim levels of the 2001 PF are identical.
  • the_gladiatorthe_gladiator Member Posts: 58
    I contacted Bill Fielkowitch from Richmond Nissan. Bill's # is 604-273-1661.

The purchase agreement lists the sales price of $36,700 in Canadian funds. There was no breakdown for the other charges. This price included the freight, sunroof wind deflector ($150), air conditioner charge, everything. Then he applied the GST of 7%. I'll get the gst back.

Brad
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    Did you not have to pay 8% PST?
  • the_gladiatorthe_gladiator Member Posts: 58
    No on the PST. I just have to show 2 pieces of ID showing that I'm an american citizen. I will have to pay Washington state sales tax once I register the vehicle in state though.
  • joseph35joseph35 Member Posts: 6
    Any news about the 02 Pathfinder? Heard that a redesign will probably in the works especially sizewise to distance it from the Xterra.
    Steve/Drew

I've noticed that the "what I've been saying" section of the member profile has been outdated lately. Instead of showing your last 4 posts (as it has been since it started, I believe) it now points to very old posts (maybe your first ones?)

Is this going to be fixed?

thanks,
    Tom
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    03 is going to be redesigned. might have 3rd row seats.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks for the note--hadn't noticed myself (and it's supposed to be the last 5 messages too). I know that there are problems selecting your car model in the drop down menu in the profile at present; maybe it's related. I'll pass it along.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    Just a note that us British Columbian's need to pay 7% GST (federal tax), as well as 10% PST (deemed a 'luxury tax' for all vehicles sold in BC for greater than $34,000). It adds a significant amount to the price of the vehicle! Just an observation.
  • jmad325jmad325 Member Posts: 17
    Hi, I posted a few weeks ago about my impending purchase. I am still in the process of deciding, however, while looking on the Nissan website, I noticed a change in the Navigation System/ VCP offerings. I am interested in a car with Navigation System but not Videocassette Player and initially this combination was available. The Nissan website now offers either videocassette or DVD player. The DVD unit is obviously more expensive. I did notice when using the "Build Your Own" feature that if the navigation system is selected, then the DVD player is rendered Not Available while the Videocassette Player is marked as Required. I question why Nissan is forcing the Videocassette player on Nav. System buyers who may instead want the DVD for rear passengers or no movie system at all. Does this have to do with the player for the Navigation System CD? Initially I did not want the Video Player for rear passengers but the DVD availability intrigues me. At the very least one should be able to get the Nav. System alone as was allowed just a few months ago. I just wanted to get your thoughts before taking this up with one of the dealers (who often seem to not have enough information about these matters). Thanks

Josh
  • pyrenuspyrenus Member Posts: 19
    Hello. I just test drove a 2001 PF LE today. I just thought I would voice my opinion.

First of all, I have been driving a 94 Stage III Nissan 300ZX NA for the past two years. Just so you know where I am coming from.

The interior was very nice. The seat was much higher up than in my car, and I had it in the lowest position. I am a big guy, 6'4" 250 LBS, and I really didn't have any problems with legroom or head room. But I am used to driving small type cars. I noticed that I had about 2-3 inches of room between my head and the sun roof. Plenty of room for me, as long as I don't take any big bumps.

All of the PF's on the lot I went to had window stickers that said "LE 4WD". But, inside it had a switch for "2H, AUTO, 4H, 4L", so I'm assuming that this is for AWD.

The ride was very comfortable. I didn't think it had a truck like ride at all. Much smoother than my 300ZX.

The power didn't "wow" me. I never felt like I was waiting for it to get going, but it doesn't have zoom like my Z. But, if I just wanted something fast, I'd keep my car.

I thought that the back seats looked plenty big enough, even with my drivers seat all the way back.

I didn't notice any shimmy on the highway. It had a very very slight vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds, but nothing I would worry about.

Well, I think I've decided on the PF. I'll probably look to purchase in the fall, as my 300ZX is too good of a summer car to get rid of now :)

PYRENUS
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey, TONVERANGA. I switched my fog light bulbs to Philips AllWeather & have been very happy with them. It's interesting because looking directly at the lights it doesn't really have that cheap yellow look. It has kind of a multicolor rainbow look to it that's hard to explain. However, the light that shines on the ground in front is yellow. I also switched the headlight bulbs to Philips BlueVision. They give a very intense pure white light if anyone is interested. As far as the black thing under the gas pedal you spoke of - I haven't really paid attention to mine but most vehicles have a switch under the gas pedal that is activated when you floor it. This lets the vehicle know you're really getting on it & to downshift for more power. I'm inside so I can't see my PF right now, but that's what it sounds like. Later...
    SMOKEY75
    How bright is the yellow light? I don't want the yellow fog light color just for style, I want it also to be functional. How bright is it and can you see the road with it on? How easy is it to change?
    Did you take a look at the bottom of the gas pedal yet? I don't think it is a switch. It's elevated about 2 inches from the floor at the bottom of the gas pedal.
    I was able to verify what hi_sailor said in post #2913 above. The parts counter guy at my local dealer is pretty friendly, and looked up the parts numbers for me. The parts numbers (front and rear) are the same for all '01 PF 4X4's, and don't even reference the trim level. I did not trouble him to look up the 4X2's...obviously many of those parts will be different. Even more interesting is that the springs are identical for an XE which is 147 lbs lighter than an SE. The only related differences are the different wheels for each trim model and the different tire size on the XE. Given that the SE and LE wheels are the same size and width as each other, and that the weight of the wheels should be similar, one would expect both models to handle and ride the same (the LE 4X4 does weigh 21 lbs. more than the SE 4X4, but this is not significant). I did take a thorough test drive in both an SE and LE, pushed them quite hard and could not detect a difference...I never drove an XE.
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    Today's vehicles aren't speed-limited by anything under the gas pedal. They are limited by the engine management computer. If you get your truck over the preset speed (108 mph?), the throttle will cut out...even if you have the "pedal to the medal," it'll act as if you've just lifted your foot off of the gas. If you keep your foot planted while all of this is taking place, the engine will roar to life again once your speed has dropped below the preset speed.

The plastic thing under the pedal that you're asking about is probably just there for positioning the pedal.
    The only suspension difference I found is the XE 2wd does not have "Rear load-sensing proportioning valve" ( reference: http://www.nissandriven.com/vehicles/ModelSpecifications/0,9439,461||,00.html), whatever that is. Sounds like load leveling?

If anyone has additional towing experiences, I would like to hear them.

Thanks

LesG

• xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    I installed an airlift kit on my Pathfinder for the same reasons as you. If you would like my comments on the installation, please check the following link:

http://dean.thayer.net/off-road/upgrades/airlift/airlift.htm

Hi Les,
    This sort of valve is found on numerous cars and trucks today. It's been around for a while...my '77 VW Rabbit had one. Based on the position of the rear suspension, it senses the amount of load on the rear axle. The heavier the load it senses, the the harder the rear brakes are applied versus the front brakes. It's designed to help prevent the rear brakes from locking in a light load situation (such as an empty pickup truck), and also utilize the rear brakes to a higher degree if the rear of the vehicle is loaded, creating more correctly proportioned braking front versus rear. In a towing situation, assuming a significant tongue load (and a proportionally lighter load on the front axle), I assume it would tend to keep the front brakes from locking by causing the rear brakes to do more of the work.
    Thanks xplorx4,

The instructions and photos on your website are impressive, and they will definitely assist me in doing the installation! What year PF did you install the Airlift kit on? (I'm wondering if my '01 will be any different). Thanks for taking the time to help fellow PFer's!
  • goblue96goblue96 Member Posts: 33
    Sorry so late getting back to a few of you, I've been on my honeymoon in Hawaii. To Neil73, the interior bike rack instructions are post #2636. Also to kmrg, I read that you want to put a video screen in the front dash of your PF. My only word of caution is that any professional installer will connect it to the transmission lever (or parking brake) to insure that you cannot operate it while the vehicle is moving. They have to by law. My brother in Law's BMW M-5 purchased in Germany picked up TV stations on the NAV system! When he shipped it over to the US, they disconnected it. Good luck
    I removed the plastic cover under the engine to see how difficult removal of the engine oil filter is. Page MA-19 of the Service Manual (the electronic version that comes on a CD) shows what appears to be a "cap" like tool that fits over the end of the filter, and it appears that you turn the cap with a wrench to remove the filter. According to the illustration, the tool is KV10115801 (J38956). I assume this must be purchased through a Nissan dealer. Has anyone purchased one, and what was the cost? Will the tool also fit aftermarket filters, such as Fram, etc? Does anyone know of any "generic" filter removers that will fit? I'm assuming that buying the tool shown in the illustration from a dealer is much more expensive. Thanks.
    xplorx4,

Should I be concerned about this? When I'm towing, the tonque weight of the trailer compresses the rear suspension, causing the brake proportioning valve to increase the proportion of the braking done by the rear brakes. But the Aiflift kit will "decompress" the rear suspension. Will this "fool" the brake proportioning valve into thinking that there is less load on the rear axle then there really is, causing the wrong propotioning between the front and rear brakes? Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?
  • kmrqkmrq Member Posts: 50
    I'm getting a indash 7"lcd plus indash DVD/VCD/CD player. It has build in tv/fm/am/ tuner with a diversity antenna. So I don't think professional installar can't disconnect it. Also I'm going to install Clarion's AUTOPC for navigation. I believe its legal.
  • poswaldposwald Member Posts: 38
    shark715: You can find the oil filter wrench at just about any auto parts store. I got mine at Pep Boys. I can't remember the cost but pretty cheap. Best thing to do is to get a replacement filter from Nissan (so you know it is the right size) and take it with you. I think it is either the smallest or second smallest one they sell.
  • goblue96goblue96 Member Posts: 33
    The Clarion AUTOPC is definatly legal. That sounds like a cool setup, post your results if you would. Thanks
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    The airlift kit is installed on a 97 Pathfinder. The only difference (from an installation standpoint) between 97 and 01 is the location of the shocks. Other than that, everything else is the same.

As for the load sensing valve, that's a good point that I hadn't considered before. After the kit is installed, I guess you could experiment with the way it handles... tow with the airsprings at minimum PSI (so the rear end sags) and tow with them inflated (so that the rear end doesn't sag [as much]) and compare the ride.
    My feeling is that since your trailer has its own brakes, it won't be a major issue for towing your boat.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    If fuel economy is a major concern the Outback has it all over the Pathfinder. I think the PF is better in severe conditions such as off road.
    Absolutely agreed. Get about 28 mpg (hwy) in our Outback vs 19 in the PF.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    TONVERANGA

The Philips AllWeather bulbs are very functional. Didn't really want them for style either... actually one of the things I like is that the fog lights themselves look white (not too tacky). It illuminates the road as well as the factory bulb, just in a different light. Their advantage is in rain, snow, fog, dust, etc. White light is reflected back at the driver by these conditions while yellow does not. Very easy to change & the manual shows how to do this with pictures on 8-31. Basically you pry the black plastic next to the fog light off with a screw driver (might want to cover the tip with cloth so you don't scratch anything). This will reveal the two philips screws holding the fog light lense on. Remove these to get to the bulb. The bulb is held in by a small metal ring & has a lead wire from it that plugs in a socket. Just reverse the process to install the new one. You may want to wear latex gloves because the oils on your skin can damage the bulbs.

Just looked under the gas pedal. If you feel on the back side of the gas pedal itself the entire thing is a switch. With the vehicle off & in a quiet area press on the back of the pedal with your hand & you'll hear a click. When you press the pedal all the way down the back of the pedal (the switch) presses against the black plastic thing. This tells the engine management computer to downshift to give MORE power, not to slow you down. SMITHMD was right about the speed limiting though. Later...
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    The proportioning valve is installed on 2wd and the load sensing valve is on 4wd. This issue has been brought up several times in this PF club. When there is a load on the rear axle the valve adds secondary pressure from the master cylinder to the rear brakes. I wired my valve in the open position just to get more pressure to the rear brakes. The brakes don't seem to be effective enough to be
    concerned about locking up. The ABS will prevent that any way.
    The 2001/2 PF requires 91 octane. I can't find 91 so I use 93.
    which all-weather bulb exactly should I get for the fog lights? what part number and where can i buy these? are you referring to the vehicle manual for the install process?

thanks for the reply!
  • palmarespalmares Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me what is the appropriate tire pressure for the Pathfinder? I just bought mine a few days ago, and the tire pressure reading measured at 40 PSI. However, the owner's manual recommends 26 PSI. What's the story here?
  • nutsnuts Member Posts: 9
    Hey everyone!
    I see a lot of talk mentioning authorized service manuals (on CD rom) and I'm wondering if anyone would be able to give me more info on where and what they paid for it. Jon had written me that he had spent $210 for it but didn't mention if that was purchased from the dealer or not.

(By the way, I need to send out my appreciation and thanks to Jon for helping me work out a Canada deal and for answering all of my questions and concerns.)
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    The story is what the owners manual recommend (Nissan)...end of story. However, if you're really interested in the tire pressure issue and you have alot of time on your hands, I suggest you go back to the many earlier posts that disscus this tire issue in depth with many different views on the subject...some what a TIRED SUBJECT...
  • kegmankegman Member Posts: 1
    Is this normal for '01 4X4 SE Pathy??? When driving with the windows down and the air recirculation flow selector on off, hot air comes out of the vents, whether it's cool or hot outside. I assume that this is air coming from the hot engine area.

Does anyone kow if this affects the air temperature of the AC when the recirculation selector is on off. It seems my AC takes a long time to cool off the vehicle and the air is not really that cold. I'm taking it in for my 1K check-up and just wanted to know.
    http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/

$210 is what they charge.

• smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    If it is 60 degrees or warmer outside, you'll more than likely get warm air coming through the vents even if the temp knob is turned all the way to cold. It is more noticable with the windows down because it is easier for the air to move through the ventilation system. You could just turn on the recirc and keep air from moving through the vents.

Your truck will cool down more quickly with the A/C if you will roll down your windows for just a minute or so right when you start the engine and start moving. That'll let the hot air (relative to the outside temp) out of the vehicle and allow the A/C to get some air moving through the system. Then roll up the windows and turn on the recirc for a little while.

Being from Central Texas, I might almost consider myself an expert on this subject!
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    Another "expert" tip is open the rear hatch and a door and allow the hot air to escape the back. Since it is a larger area than just the windows it works pretty quickly and allows the a/c to catch up faster. I knew as soon as the weather turned hot this topic will be around until winter!

Dano