Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    >> what do you do for non-scheduled maintenance (within the warranty period) <<

In to the dealer it goes! If something is broke, they get to fix it. I'm cheap. Unless it's something so easy to fix that I can do it myself for less pain than messing with the service.
  • pathy57pathy57 Member Posts: 25
    All your comments are appreciated and you all have some good points. I agree the package deals are a pain in the behind. I have owned several vehicles and for the most part have always steered away from the package deals. I do believe the "Pay me now or pay me Later" motto and have always had regular service performed or done some of it myself. Everything today is operated as a profit center and rightfully so, but there is an awful lot of stress put on service departments to sell, sell, sell. I remember back in Indiana on the Indiana Toll Road some of the service areas had driveway salesmen cutting fan belts when checking the oil on vehicles or selling items to customers that they did not need. Mostly nickel dime stuff, but today the marketplace is alot greedier.

One thing for sure, for some of you newcommers to this forum, the Pathfinder Folks tell it like it is and get along at the same time. Thanks for all your thoughts and input, enough now for the 30,000 service. I'm 10-7.
  • jints2282jints2282 Member Posts: 33
    I used to change my own oil, but no more. It's not worth my time and effort to go under and remove this shield under the engine, secured by 12 bolts, to save $20. Then having to dispose the oil? Unless I can get to the oil filter without having to remove this shield? Watched a mechanic trying to remove shield, and took him 10 minutes, and couldn't get all 12 botls off. He later said that some heads were stripped, and wouldn't come off. Anyway, dealer also performed free 14 point inspection, and recommend the following:
    1) Front brakes, new pads, resurface $265
    2) Replace all 3 belts $125.
    3) Flush coolant $65.
    4) Change main radiator return hose $65.

I gracefully declined their offer. But the older fella next to me ok'ed their $950 offer to do some major schedule maintenance.

I have a 98 SE, and have no complaints, except maybe for low MPG at 16-17. Maybe it's time to get my PF serviced, and perhaps in return with a little better MPG.
  • the_gladiatorthe_gladiator Member Posts: 58
    Not for me. My wife bought her 95 Altima new with lifetime oil change. I always did my own oil changes. I enjoyed not having do that on one of our vehicles, until they forgot to replace the filler cap! She waited 45 minutes in an office w/o customers while they had a pizza feed. This was a scheduled appt she made wks ago. She drove maybe qtr mile before the smoke appeared. That's not acceptable for paid service. I like Nissan vehicles, but they will only service them when I'm left w/o a better alternative. Bought 01 PF last June. I'll do my own oil changes from now.

Brad
  • ggombosggombos Member Posts: 18
    I've got one for you. I had my Nissan dealer do an oil change/tire rotation. I usually do my own oil changes but since I had them doing the rotate I figured why not. About a month later I discovered a large oil spot underneath the parking space. Since it's common parking area I didn't initially worry too much. Took a look underneath and sure enough oil traces galore. Checked the dipstick, didn't have a trace on it. When I reached the oil filter I had to tighten it back on a good 3/4 turn with my hands. It was obvious this had been the cause. Took 3.5 quarts to bring it back. Then I remember my wife's been driving it all week so how long has it been like this?
    I doubt I could ever prove it was the dealer's fault since it had been around 2000 miles.
    Needless to say I'll be doing my own oil changes from now on thank you. I'm really scared about a 30K or other service I can't do.
    Love the vehicle (01 LE) but Nissan dealership service scares me.
  • bonanza41bonanza41 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,,I am new to this forum and after reading it for about 20 minutes I realized this is the place to be..Lots of knowledge and kinsmanship/ On to my problem, I have a 94 path with 110,000 miles. This is my second one and as the first, it has been exceptional. Anyway when my auto lock hubs are engaged I get a sound out of the front that sounds like dirt in the brakes..Kind of a mechanical metal to metal..I changed both half shafts and still have the same prob..Appears it is either my hubs of differential..Has anyone had this type of prob and if so what was the verdict. I can change the hubs myself but I'm not to hot on the idea of repairing pinon bearings..All comments would be appreciated. Thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome to the Town Hall! We have a great group of knowledgeable people who post here regularly and I'm certain they'll be more than happy to help you out!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • rayg3rayg3 Member Posts: 7
    I bought it in Aug of 2001. I took it to a Nissan dealer about a month later to complain about the noise. A service adviser rode with me and verified the clunk noise. He said the noise is a result of "slack" in the two piece drive shaft. Nissan has been advised of the problem and had no fix. I read the Tech Service Bulletin part of Edmunds and see a Tech Service Bulletin #NTB99074
    NHTSA #SB61237 for Feb 2000. Has any one had any luck getting this fixed?
  • pathy2001pathy2001 Member Posts: 1
    I was driving my 2001 LE last week in somewhat slushy and spotty ice road in AUTO 4WD mode. Vehicle has 2400 miles - no problems at all to date. After about 3 miles the yellow 4WD lamp turned on (not blinking). I had driven the previous day for 25 miles in Auto mode (under 50mph) and no problems...also driven occasionally before in AUTO mode with no problems. I stopped to read manual and it said to switch to 2WD and inform dealer. My dealer said that the yellow 4WD warning indicator may have turned on due to excessive slippage or possibly a vehicle sensor and to see if it reoccurs. In fact, the owner's manual says that the lamp can turn on (not blink) if there is a great difference in wheel speed (apparently if one wheel has a very large speed difference from others). I put the vehicle back in AUTO 4WD later for a few miles - no warning light. Next day drove some miles in Auto 4WD and no warning lamp.
    Has anyone had this happen?
    I'm assuming one wheel may have been slipping but not sure.
    I always maintain a speed below 50-55 mph in Auto 4WD per Nissan advice at toll free assistance number (took me a lot of calls to get a max suggested speed advice in AUTO-4WD from Nissan).
  • peaches5peaches5 Member Posts: 91
    I just had mine done on my 2000 LE 4WD and paid $151 for it. I have a mechanic that only works on japanese cars, has been in business for 25+ years and I trust - A LOT :) He's over an hour drive for me, but worth it - especially when I see how much the dealer is charging - yikes!
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    I looked through the service manual about the light illuminating steady. It would be a great investment if we could purchase a Nissan Consult II and trade it with each other! The service manual menchened about "sharp corner braking" could cause the light to come on? Just turn the AWD off and turn it back on. Should always here the "beep" when turned off
    and on. Cheers....................................
  • chuckiekchuckiek Member Posts: 3
    Hey hey! :) I'm the happy new owner of a 2002 PF SE 4x4. Got it for $99 over invoice..... and I couldn't be happier with it.

400 miles thus far and still grinning everytime I see it. This is my first car out of college with my new job and I have to say that I'm happier than I have ever been with a vehicle. I've driven 2 Explorer Sports and numerous other vehicles prior to this and the PF has by far the best ride and comfort I've ever experienced.

Can't wait for more adventures in my PF!!!!

Happy Pathfinderin'
    C
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    I just checked with the dealer and their price is $300. I read over the list of items replaced and checked and that seems accurate for the service. I could do a few things myself and save say $100 bucks but I starting to have less time for those activities.
    We're considering selling the Pathy to save for building a house. It is just now getting broke in good.
    Later,
    Dano
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    Can anyone help me with torque lbs. for the '01 16" aluminum rims? Thanks in advance

gritz
    Shop manual makes no mention of specific wheels, but does give the spec as 87- 108 ft-lbs.
    -Jon
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    I knew yourself or Dean could help

Brian
  • ac6000cwac6000cw Member Posts: 18
    I have an '01 SE which is coming up on 30,000 miles. After reading the prices the dealer is getting I am going to do this myself.

In the service manual it specifies to "Use only LSD gear oil API FL-5 and SAE 80W-90 approved for Nissan LSD). Can anyone tell me a brand name of this stuff I can buy at an auto parts store or should I go to a dealer to buy it. The footnote says to get a list of approved oil from a dealer. I was hoping someone on the board has a list.

Thanks
  • duperduper Member Posts: 127
    I used Mobil 1 Gear oil. I think Mobil 1 is good for LSD also, but you can add the additive if you like ( I got them at PepBoys). Just remember to open the fill-nut before you drain. It's a PITA; I had to use an extension pipe and my legs to get it moving.

Ps: I used 4 quartz for the rear (haven't done the front yet).

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Jon, you may be interested in this press release about the European Commission's proposed rule changes to stop car makers from banning cross-border sales.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Thanks for the heads-up Steve. This is certainly good news and hopefully will have an impact on the Canada-US sales. We Nissan buyers are spoiled in that Nissan does not generally prohibit cross-border sales. But I get lots of notes from people looking for other brands from Canada that are out of luck.

Also this press release does a great job of describing why vehicles are so much less in Canada. Go on up and get em! It's still pretty typical to buy a Pathfinder for $4000 under the dealer cost here in the US.

-Jon
  • superdave42superdave42 Member Posts: 2
    After about 1 1/2 years my pathfinder began making a "boing" noise like a garbage can lid popping back in shape within seconds after turning engine off, winter or summer. Dealer said it is the heat shield (under engine) flexing, and not a problem. Is it, or isn't it? Anybody else experienced this?
    superdave42
  • mdq_ntvmdq_ntv Member Posts: 11
    I also used MOBIL-1 75w-90 Synthetic gear oil in front and rear diff. (no need to add the additive)I had to take my 01-LE to the dealer to have the fill and drain plug removed. Hope it helps.-CM
  • bkahn1bkahn1 Member Posts: 7
    I am considering purchasing a Pathfinder as a tow vehicle for a 3500 lb. boat & trailer. has anyone had any experience (positive or negative) towing with a pathfinder?
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    The Pathfinder makes a great part-time tow vehicle. I probably wouldn't recommend buying it just because it can tow, though. It's got a lot of great features that make the vehicle a great product aside from this. The new engine makes ample horsepower and torque for towing, and the truck handles more like a car than a 4300-lb SUV.

If you already own a primary means of transportation and will use the Pathfinder only for towing, it might not be the best choice... a quad-cab pickup is probably better for that.

The only thing that seems to be a common problem is the softness of the rear suspension when carrying heavy loads. A 3500-lb trailer/boat will have a tongue weight between 250 and 350 pounds, so the rear will sag a bit, and even more if you carry passengers (which I'm sure is quite likely).

This can easily be remedied by installing a set of Airlift Air Springs. Read about it on their ,a href="http://www.airliftcompany.com">website.

• inman01inman01 Member Posts: 9
    Any new info on the new Pathy body style due out in a year or so?

Bill
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I tow with my 01 LE quite a bit. I find it to be a great tow vehicle as long as you don't overload it. I just got back from Florida and towed a 12' uhaul box trailer with tandem axles. The trip was about 1200 miles and the path towed great. I normaly tow my boat which weighs about 3200lbs with about 180lbs on the tonque. I hardly know it's behind me and handling is good as well. The heaviest boat I've towed is a 23' Larson bowrider that tipped the scales around 4000lbs. The path handled that well, but I wasn't loaded with anything else and compared to my boat I definitely new it was behind me. I wouldn't recommend towing that kind of load cross country with a family and luggage. A 3500lb boat&trailer is a piece of cake for the pathfinder, anything bigger you probably would be better served by a larger vehicle.
  • sidosgoodsidosgood Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering purchasing a 2002 Pathfinder SE and read that it recommends the use Premium fuel? Is this true, and if you use the 87 octane, what is the risk? Lower gas milage/performance horsepower?
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I've been noticing my 2001 Pathfinder LE is constantly making this electrical buzzing noise after I've driven it and parked it in the garage with the engine off. I called the local Nissan service department and was told "this is normal...it's the electric fuel pump making this noise". My question to you owners is, have any of you been experiencing this noise? My 99 Accord makes a simular noise, but only when the temperature is hot and driven for awhile. My PF make this buzzing noise near the gas tank hours after it's been driven. This noise use to only occur once in a great while, but it's now a every day occurance.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    see my response in the Problems section. Maybe that's it...
  • windfalls99windfalls99 Member Posts: 20
    I have owned my 2001 LE for about 9 months now. For the last couple of months since driving on salty roads, I have noticed the outside of the tail pipe is rusting quite badly. The Nissan dealer says this is normal. I am not sure about that! Has anyone else had this problem?
  • kmrqkmrq Member Posts: 50
    I think its normal that your tail-pipe is getting rusty. My friend's 98 maxima's tail-pipe came off from rust, he just put stainless steel cover on it, but still cracking inside. After a while just replace the whole resonator with a new universal exhaust that fits into the same spot, like Borla's universal exhaust that looks exactly like our resonator but it has straight out pipe.
  • pbk77pbk77 Member Posts: 23
    Anyone from the Chicagoland area recommend a good place (dealer or mechanic) to get service done from my 2001 Pathfinder? I'd greatly appreciate any help!
  • bcooper5bcooper5 Member Posts: 1
    I was very interested in buying a new Pathfinder and was very intrigued hearing how some people are going into Canada to save around $4,000!

I have a few questions:

Are there any US charges when you come back across the border?

Do you have to declair your vehicle?

Are the Canadian dealerships taking
    US funds?

This sounds too good to be true.....but if it isn't, I'm getting on a plane and driving one back!

I live in southern California and the cheapest I've seen a 2002 SE with the moonroof package is $25,500.

Opps, one more question:

Is registering the vehicle a problem?

TIA
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might find this post helpful.

tidester

Host

SUVs

bcooper,
    When you come back into the US you stop at customs and will pay a 2.5% duty on the new Pathfinder. There are a couple forms to fill out, but they don't even take 5 minutes each. A guy who got his Path in Vancouver a couple weeks ago said the stop at customs was 10 minutes total.

Typically what I see people paying in Canada for Paths is about $3500 - $4000 under US dealer invoice (including the duty at the border). It depends on the model. We've found a great manger at a dealer in Vancouver that everyone on the west coast seems to buy from. And note that in Canada you get the All-Mode 4WD on SE's with auto trans. You can't get that in the US. If you can do without the sunroof and fog lights they have a Chilkoot Special Edition which is special priced even for the Canadians!

Typically the dealers want a check in Canadian funds, but that's easy to change. I see it's time for me to post another summary here like the one in the QX4 forun our host tidester points too.

Drop me a line and I'll send you off all the info you'd need. Over sixty of us have done this last time I counted. Like I've said before I'm having fun showing others how to save this way.

-Jon
    jonlofquist@aol.com
  • pfinder995pfinder995 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell the difference between a pathfinder with limited slip and one without in regular driving situations... is it worth the extra money? thanks
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/pb02-17-01/index.html

A Light off-road event in Southern New Jersey! Come enjoy the trails!

-mike

• drmperaltadrmperalta Member Posts: 58
    LSD's pros and cons.

Pros.
    better forward traction and less tendency to get stuck. Advantage is only aprreciable between 0-5 MPH.

Cons.
    More tendency to fishtail (spinning both wheels has no lateral traction whatsoever). More frequent diff oil change interval. Can go against steering input on dry surface.

At speed, open differential is much safer because of less tendency to fishtail and loss control.
  • pfinder995pfinder995 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I am looking at 2002 pfinder and that was one of my concerns..but it sounds like since I'm getting a 4x4 I don't need the limited slip.
  • yichingyiching Member Posts: 6
    The last snowstorm we had here convinced me to buy a 4WD vehicle. The Pathfinder is at the top of my list with the Highlander a close second. We live at the top of a pretty steep hill. Any one have comments about the Pathfinder's snow traction, especially going up hills? Are the original equipment tires good enough or do they need to be changed? Reading the threads seem to suggest that LSD would be helpful.
  • pt4x4pt4x4 Member Posts: 2
    lofquist, you previously mentioned that the Canadian Pathfinders are identical or better equipped than the U.S. counterpart. I was on Nissan's Canadian web page and it displayed a picture of the LE pathfinder shown with the "U.S. roof rack" What is the Canadian roof rack on the LE? It implies that the Canadian roof rack on the LE is probably the SE roofrack. Thanks for any insight.
    pt4x4,
    The roofrack on the Canadian LE and the US LE are just about the same. The cross rails on the Canadian one are slightly wider (front to back - maybe 1/2"). You almost have to have them side-by-side to see the difference. Also the side mounts are smooth without the big knob and they have a locking feature using a tamper-proof hex bit. All in all, you'd barely notice the difference, but they feel more strudy and don't seem to make as much wind noise.

The Canadian SE has the same roofrack as the LE (like it was for 2001), not the "unusual" Xterra-like rack the 2002 US model has.

-Jon
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    I live in a snowbelt of British Columbia, complete with many hills and valleys. I have LSD as standard on my 2001 Pathfinder, and found that the Bridgestone Dueler HT's were not adequate for this past winter. I purchased 4 Winter Dueler's by Bridgestone and am very impressed with traction and stopping ability.

Regarding the roofrack, I have removed the factory unit and installed clips on the rails to fit my Yakima equipment, which I find much more sturdy than the plastic roof rack units which Nissan Canada supplies. I have the Yakima fairing, which seems to cut down on the wind effect.
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    Our wonderful govt. is protecting us - the Canadian roofrack is allegedly stronger than the US one. As Iofquist says, it uses "security" allen bolts (pin in centre) to secure the rails - and they give us the tool as well. I don't have the documents here at work, but I think it's rated at 80 lbs vs 50 lbs for the US one.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    It also has the handy "moose carrier" attachment, not available in the US
  • peaches5peaches5 Member Posts: 91
    Moose carrier - LOL :)

I use my 4WD almost daily because I live at the bottom of a gravel hill. I could probably NOT use and it get out with a lot of slippage, but my theory is: it's there, why not use it? The other day the ground was wet. I was on cement with some gravel on it, had it in 4WDH (I have a shift on the fly, not AWD) and it was having trouble getting traction, smoke was coming from somewhere and there was a acrid smell. I'm HOPING it was just my tire rubber. I'm taking it to the dealer next week because I have 34K on it and I want a good looking over before the warranty expires. Any comments from the gang on if I could have done something bad to the car that they need to check?
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    I will be helping some relatives move at the end of this month, and they need to tow their truck. They have an 88 4x4 5-speed Pathfinder. Is there anything special that needs to be done to safely tow this behind a moving van?

I've checked various web sites about towing with a tow dolly, and their information seems to conflict. The sites claim that transmission damage (usually to automatics) can occur if rear-wheel-drive vehicles are towed improperly. Some say that the driveshaft has to be disconnected, some say it's OK if you just shift the 4x4 t-case into "N".

I thought that the drivelines are fully disconnected from the engine/tranny if the t-case is in 'N'. How can transmission or t-case damage result under these cirumstances?

Also, they're on a tight budget so I don't think they can afford the full car carrier, and they'd prefer not to have to climb under the truck to disconnect the driveshaft.

Does anyone have any recommendations on this? Thanks!
  • daviesodavieso Member Posts: 2
    Since I didn't have another valentine to spend it with I spent tonight hardwiring my Valentine One radar detector. It was so simple I wish I'd done it months ago.
    Here's the deal. Wire the detector to the roof console where the compass/thermometer is located. Removing the roof console could not be easier. Open the sunglasses case, remove the single phillips head screw and that is it. There are four clips, one in each corner - pull at each straight down. I used a flat head screw driver with some duct tape on it to avoid scratching anything to pry it down, but it comes off pretty easily.
    Once inside there 3 wiring harneses. The furthest one back is flat, has 8 pins and goes to the compass. Disconnect it and peel back some of the tape. On the car side of the connector pin 7 is green with silver and a red stripe. This is your POWER. Pin 2 wire is black. This is your GROUND. Splice into these. Pop everything back together and drink a beer. 20 minute job max.

OD.

PS. Lofquist, can't believe you're still at it!
    I did basically the same thing. But I spliced into the wires for the lights. So, unless the detector has been turned off, it stays on for 8 minutes after I get out of the truck. It also comes on as soon as the door is opened if the truck has been parked for longer than 8 minutes.
    The '01 manual says not to tow with the transfer case in neutral. On the other hand I had a Ford Ranger pickup that the owner's manual said just the opposite, it was OK to tow with the rear wheels on the ground with the transfer case in neutral. The tow dolly people are probably just covering their butts against law suits.

They could tow with the trucks rear wheels on the tow dolly as long as its not in 4WD.