Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• jbrotherjbrother Member Posts: 31
    I am considering buying a 95 pathfinder from a used car lot. They are asking 5900. It is a 4x4 se with auto. mileage is 165,000. Can anyone give me some suggestions on what to look for potential mechanical problems with this vehicle, considering age and mileage. Do these vehicles usually last a lot past this high mileage? What about the price? The salesman says that it is leaking a bit of oil and needs a new oil pan gasket, and also needs a couple new front end parts. Any advice??? Thank you very much!
  • colinj1colinj1 Member Posts: 13
  • geoffdgtigeoffdgti Member Posts: 83
    I've just kicked off shopping for a replacement SUV. I'm not quite sure if the Pathfinder meets my requirements or if I'm overlooking any brands. I'd like some opinions to save me from huge American hulks before I kill again...

I currently drive a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD variant of the Ford Exploder. It goes off extended warranty in 12 months and there's no way I'd own it if I have to pay the constant stream of repair bills myself. I've also owned a 2 door 1992 Mazda Navajo variant of the Exploder and an '87 S-10 Blazer. I buy cars new and usually drive them until they need to get crushed into cubes. The Mountaineer is so unreliable that I commute in a VW GTI. A replacement SUV would likely only see about 15,000 miles per year.

I have 5,000 pounds plus-or-minus of boat, fuel, and trailer to tow. Twin-axle braked trailer. I don't see hills when towing the boat but it often goes on 100+ mile trips.

I see floorboard-deep mud in the spring but I haven't taken an SUV off-road in years. The Mountaineer has floorboards, a long wheelbase, and no low range. Who am I kiddin'?

I'm 6'3" and have headroom and legroom issues in many cars. A telescoping and tilting steering wheel is an important feature.

In the winter, I ski every weekend. I understand how to drive a heavy SUV in the snow. (Go down hills and corners like Grandma, use the transmission for speed control, and never touch the brakes.) I tend to keep half the split bench down so I can carry skis inside the truck. I require 6 feet on the diagonal for the skis.

I drive 2 miles in skiboots from my parking spot to the ski resort. I have a size 12 foot.

I'm a chronic speeder. The truck has to have reasonable manners at 80 mph.

I'm thinking a Pathfinder LE would probably work for me if it can really tow 5,000 pounds. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?
  • normp1normp1 Member Posts: 25
    I live in the interior in a small city named Merritt. I assume that you have or are looking for a pathfinder yourself ? I plan on having a thorough look and a test drive tomorrow in Kamloops.
    I'll let you know my impressions. If you have one let me know all the pros and cons Thanks
  • batchelor22batchelor22 Member Posts: 10
    I live next to you in Kamloops and own a 2001 LE. I love the vehicle and have had no problems whatsoever but last summer I towed a 3800 lb trailer to Sheridan Lake in the central Cariboo and must say that the Pathfinder struggles with the weight up some of the steep grades that we live within. You must use air springs and have good trailer brakes for stopping but that won't get you up the grades any faster. Overall I love my vehicle and would recommend it to anyone. A
    question for anyone, what is the definitive concerning AWD vs. 2WD? I usually leave in AWD through the winter months and 2WD in the spring and summer. Is there really extra wear on the vehicle due to leaving it in AWD? I was lead to believe that the system is unintrusive and does not come into play or cause any wear unless needed. Please let me know, sorry for the long post.
  • ralsidewinderralsidewinder Member Posts: 9
    I just picked up my 02 SE 4x4 this past week. A couple of my concerns were similar to yours, but I found they were nothing to worry about.
    After several test drives, I pretty much settled on the PF. The ride was smoother than any other and the handling superior.
    I had read that the room for taller folks was something to be desired, especially with the sunroof. I'm 6'1 and my roommate is 6'4, and neither have difficulty with the headroom issue or the steering wheel. Plenty to spare.
    Behavior at 80 mph is respectful. That's the average speed in these parts on the beltline. Recently the winds have been way up and the truck hasn't been fazed.
    Skis should do fine. The rack above is always another place to think about. The SE rack is pretty tough. I'm not familiar with the LE rack, although its rating is 100 lbs.
    Good luck on your search. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you decide on a PF.

-andy
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    I have the inside scoop on the 2003 Pathfinder. It will be shown at the NY Auto Show next month, under the name Morano.
    Hey Folks..

Got the 02 SE. Nissan decided to change the rack on this one to something more akin to the XTerra style rather than the one that's found on the LE (and all models prior, regardless of trim). Does anyone know of a rack manufacturer (i.e. Thule, Yakima) who makes adapters for their gear that fit this setup? I have a touring kayak that would be no problem throwing up there, but the bike is a different story.

Regards,
    -andy
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    The rack system for the PF is designed and built
    by Yakima.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    I live in the Cariboo and purchased my 2001 XE Pathfinder in Kamloops at River City Nissan. My rig will be one year old in a few days. I purchased from Mr. Davidson, and feel that I got a good deal. Cool 3 Canadians in the same general area!

Woody (Rick B)
  • david3637david3637 Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased a 2002 LE, Chrome Silver, leather package, microfilter, body side moldings and mats. Very happy with the truck overall, except for the lousy gas mileage. I have noticed some people on the board using the term AWD. I am assuming they mean the AUTO mode and not true all wheel drive. To my understanding AUTO mode functions in 2WD until slip is detected, then it varies torque to the front and rear wheels, but the power is only routed to two wheels, one in front and one in the rear. Is this right or is it really AWD in Auto mode? I got the Weatheflectors from MacNeilI noticed the set for the rear windows has a peel off adhesive backing strip, but the instructions don't mention anything about how to install them useing this adhesive. Can anyone help with this?
    Will slot in UNDER the Path/Xterra and compete with the CR-V and Rav4......
  • cj724cj724 Member Posts: 13
    The new Murano. I don't think that this is the new 2003 Pathfinder. Checkout link

http://www.nissandriven.com/vehicles/FutureVehicleDetails/1,9437,22792,00.html

• dailykdailyk Member Posts: 3
    In Cleveland, Ohio there is a Nissan subsidized lease offer for the SE, details are:

($325 per mo/39 mo - $1975 at Signing - includes 1st payment .15 per mi over 12,000 mi(Req's Popular Pkg)

My questions:
    1)Edmunds incentive listing shows the cap cost as $25,898, and an acqusition fee of $450. Would this fee be added to the cap cost and to my $325 payment?
    2) I'd like to add the sunroof pkg, invoice is $953 for this option. Can you give me an idea of how much this might add on per month? I've gotten fuzzy answers from dealers.
    3) Do the Nissan leases usually cover gap insurance or does that vary?
    4) When it's National deal like this, is there any hope of negotiating a lesser down payment?
    5) Is this such a great deal that I should just take it and run? Deal expires 3/4.

Thanks much!
    K
  • pf01pf01 Member Posts: 35
    Last month, when I had my Pathfinder served in a Nissan dealer, the service manager mentioned that the Pathfinder would not be replaced next year, instead, Nissan would get an Altima-based SUV. I am not sure if this is true, because Infiniti will definitely produce the FX45, which is based on Altima(according to Nissannews.com), and it is supposed to be unique to Infiniti. Nissan's new factory in Mississippi(?) will be ready early next year, and by that time many things are possible, including a full-size replacement of the Pathfinder.
  • speedgalspeedgal Member Posts: 7
    Hey Folks,

I have a '92 Pathfinder SE. It's a great car - over 250K miles and going strong. I'm a big fan of the PF. But...

I'm having an issue with the dealer where I purchased the car. At the time I bought, I paid about $300 for additional rustproofing treatment. This treatment came with a lifetime warrantee against body rust-through, supposedly good for as long as I own the car. However, now that I have a rusted-through spot on the rocker panel, the dealer is refusing to honor the warrantee.

The dealer claims that the warrantee is not valid because they haven't inspected the car every 12 months, as required by the fine print in the warrantee. But, the fine print also states that the dealer must notify me by mail whenever this inspection was due. I never received any such notification. It's not as if I would've blown off the inspection had I been notified - I work about 3 miles from the dealership.

I feel this is fraud, and am planning on taking legal action. I've spoken with the sales manager at another Nissan dealer, and he thinks I've got a good case. I'd like to know if anybody else has experienced something similar with Nissan, and how they resolved it. Thanks.
    Thanks for the posts. I test drove a chilkoot edition pathfinder at Riverside Nissan in Kamloops today with a buddy. Very impressed overall with the vehcile as well as the salesman who was very helpful and low key. To answer you question in regards to the 2wd vs allmode, I asked the salesman myself if you could leave it in this mode all the time in the winter. He responded yes however in allmode (4wd) the vehicle starts in 4 wheel drive at all times then shifts back to 2wd if it isn't slippery. Hence your gas mileage will suffer a bit. I also have heard that the brakes are not great while towing. I have a 17ft. ski boat that weighs about 3000 lbs including the trailer. It doesn't have trailer brakes as it is just under the magical weight requiring them. It's a single axle fourwinns trailer and has a very light tongue weight. I'm hoping to get away with towing the boat with the Pathfinder without having to do any major additions. I have an R.V. which I usually tow with for camping so the Pathfinder would only be used to tow up to Shuswap several times in the summer. Give me your thoughts ? Also a question. I asked about the need for premium fuel and the salesman stated that it is recommended for optimum performance but that you won't damage the vehicle by using regular.
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    When AWD is selected an oil pump is activated in the transfer case. Only when the rear axle speed sensors detect rear wheel slipage torque is applied to the front axle.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    Hi:

You will feel that you have tamed the Coquihalla Hwy with that 240 hp engine. I have a Boler trailer, which weights about 1300 pounds loaded. My automatic version is rated to tow 5000 lbs., and my trailer does not have brakes. I have rarely noticed the trailers presence, and leave the air conditioner on, and cruise control in many instances. My 2001 is much more responsive than my 95 Pathfinder. I have never towed anything heavier than my Boler, but feel the torque and horsepower could handle a lot more than I have given it.

I use premium gas, (91 octane), as that is recommended by the manufacturer. A salesman told me they always use mid-grade, but that is 89 octane. I heard that Kamloops has the cheapest gas prices in Canada at this moment. You will find many threads on fuel recommendations for the 01-02 Pathfinder by using the search function.

Best of luck, you will find the Chilkoot a well-optioned package.

Woody
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    Looks like a crossover type vehicle (aka Matrix). Definitely not the new Pathfinder.
  • ppnffppnff Member Posts: 65
    The system on the QX4/Pathfinder is not a true all-wheel drive system. It really is a part-time four wheel drive system that is normally in rear wheel drive and switches to send power to the front wheel when slip is detected. A true all wheel drive system will generally split the power between the front and back, like the Audi Quattro system which splits it 50/50 front/rear.
    Remember, the Pathfinder is a unibody design! And it would be rather DUMB to have 3 $20-30k SUV in your lineup, yes? Not that Nissan hasn't made some REALLY bonehead moves......but this HAS to either replace the Pathfinder, or give Nissan a player against the CRV/Rav4. This WOULD be a smart move by Nissan, so they probably won't do it. I say it is a 'Finder replacement, since they use the words ROOMY and REFINED when referring to it.
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    My experience is as follows:

Auto mode - I only use when there is a possibility of tire slippage - my mileage will suffer a bit (10 to 20%) and there will be some extra wear and tear when in Auto mode. There will also be disconcerting surges and thumps when I stop and put it in "park" or turn off the engine (as the system disengages).

Towing a heavy trailer (greater than 1500 lbs) - I disable the fourth gear with the button on the side of the shifter. With a manual transmission, I would not use fifth gear on hilly terrain. I let the engine rev. - it's quite happy even at 4000 RPM.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    toyotas1-

It may be true that the Pathfinder has a unibody design, but remember it also has a solid rear axle, part-time 4x4 with a low range transfer case, and can tow 5000 lbs. FYI- the Jeep Grand Cherokee is ALSO unibody, but they introduced the Liberty... and it seems to be selling...

It would NOT be rather dumb for Nissan to have 3 SUVs in their lineup. Take a look at Toyota's lineup:
    1) Rav4
    2) 4Runner
    3) Highlander
    4) Land Cruiser

In fact, Nissan would be dumb to replace the Pathfinder with a mini-ute! Instead it makes sense to add a smaller SUV to their lineup. For many buyers, the Xterra is still too large and more vehicle than they need. In my opinion, the Xterra fits a niche market, and cannot compare to the Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4, or any of the other 4-wheel independent suspension FWD-based SUVs. Nissan needs something to satisfy those buyers. If Nissan DOES replace the Pathfinder, it should be with something like the Patrol, which is currently only available overseas.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    You've inhertited toyotas1's capitalization. VERY annoying.
  • brian60brian60 Member Posts: 76
    Is there still going to be an XTRail mini-ute, or is that what the Murano is? By my count, that means that Nissan is going to have at least four SUVs in their lineup within the next 1-1.5 years (smallest to largest):

1. Murano (XTrail?)
    2. XTerra
    3. Pathfinder (TrailBlazer size - next redesign)
    4. Full-sized model

Cool.
  • serpico1serpico1 Member Posts: 30
    ok people, i want to join you in owning a PF..looking at PF LE AWD from montreal dealer..quoted 41,900..great price..which is like 27,800 us$..not bad at all..

but here is where i need help..the dealer offered to deliver my PF to NYC (to a custom house for an extra $ 850 or so, i pay no PST or GSt tax..the 2.5 at the border is a wash..all i pay is my state tax of 8% in New york..

has anyone done this before..should i be weary? what if an XE version shows up? what is the truck has dings in it when it arrives...should i go pick it up in montreal..only 6 hr drive? or should i be pampered and have it delivered? what would you do?

any insights please...would be great..

eric
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Heh, I'd pamper myself and enjoy Montreal and its restaurants for a few days on my savings :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    serpico1,
    Of the now 70 people who've gone to Canada to buy I know of only one who had it shipped and that was from Montreal also. From the note he sent me it ended up being less than perfect. It took three weeks to arrive and then he still had to go sixty miles to pick it up. Also the paperwork had problems and some "extra" broker charges showed up. But of course your situation might be different.

My opinion (did you ask for it?).... Take a cheapo flight up to Toronto and you will have your new Path in one day. Lots of people from NYC have done this. If you want the name of the manager at the dealer we all have used, just drop me an email. I also have lots of info.

Why not Montreal? Because Quebec won't refund the provincial sales taxes like Ontario will. Toronto is not that much further and it's all interstate too.

-Jon
  • lycurguslycurgus Member Posts: 4
    I want to replace the facory fog light bulbs on my 01' Pathfinder with Xenon bulbs. Can anyone tell me a good brand and model number to buy? I am not even sure if the electrical system could handle the Xenon bulbs.
    what a merry go around..can someone give me straight specific answers about buying a pathy in toronto..jon can you email me please..i have emailed you twice to no avail, maybe my email did not make it to you..but anyway if someone else can shed some light, that would be great as well..

here is where i am right now..

i have spoken to 2 dealers in toronto and one said an americ acannot buy and bring back to states..you have to have a canadian address..he also said " dont you think i would be in buffalo every weekend selling thse pathys at 4 thousand less if i could..so i am very CONFUSED..can this be done? is it shady? is it 100% legal?

i am looking for straight talk please...

kind regards and thanks in advance for any help!!

eric

erichochman@hotmail.com
  • ppnffppnff Member Posts: 65
    I was just reading on the Infiniti G35 message board here and noticed a slew of messages regarding a letter from Infiniti that went to all the Canadian Infiniti dealers and basically, the jest of the letter is that the Canadian Infiniti dealers can not sell to an American. A similar letter may have gone to the Nissan dealers in Canada.
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    I would like to tell everyone that my tranny is finally fixed, but after all the trouble I've gone through the parts were back ordered. Still waiting :-(
  • the_gladiatorthe_gladiator Member Posts: 58
    I'm from Seattle. I went to Vancouver to pickup my PF. Love it, saved some money and had some fun in B.C. Jon, has helped out many here including myself. He gets no personal gain, he just wants to help. He might be on a trip or you have a bad email address. He has great info.

Americans can buy in Canada and many others have. I have exchanged info with others from WA and CA that have too. Find another dealer in Toronto. Jon will have some names for you.

You will need to secure financing on your own. Canadian dealers cannot finance residents from US. Dont tell your bank your getting a vehicle from Canada. Just tell 'em you need a cashier's check. Exchange it into CAN funds thru Currency broker.

Jon can provide latest procedures of dealing with customs from both sides. Beforehand, talk to your state license dealer about their rqmts.

Most important -- have some fun.
  • lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    What is the expected life of the Duelers? I look forward to replacing them but I will wait until they are shot.
    Eric,
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The last two days have been jam with work and home issues. I spent my "spare" time trying to help a couple people who had planned on getting Infinitis THIS WEEK. I think this is the first time in the last 18 months that I haven't given 48 hr response (even when I was in Istanbul).

Nissan has not stopped US purchasers like Infiniti did this week. All is still a go for now. You should have no problem with getting a Pathfinder. Full info is in your inbox.

-Jon
    nt
    I realize that most people don't like to post exact prices that they paid but I,m interested in purchasing an SE 2002, and I'm a Canadian who lives close to Vancouver. Could anyone let me know where you found the best deal in Vancouver and the approximate price you had to pay in Canadian funds. Much appreciated!
  • ccneierccneier Member Posts: 1
    I am 6'4' and weigh 240..will the Pathfinder have enough space for me??? any advice will help!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...people who had planned on getting Infinitis THIS WEEK

INFINITIS?? That sounds like a disease!

Sorry, Jon! I couldn't resist!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • kmrqkmrq Member Posts: 50
    To: ccneier, best advice is go to your local nissan dealership and try the Pathfinder yourself. Sure someone who fits your physical measure tells you "yea there's enough room", but that's just their opinions. If you are looking to purchase a car, then take your time and go see if how you like it.
    To: Lycurgus, I guess you are asking if you can put a fake "HID XENON" bulb into for fog light? answer is "YES" but it will dim your lights. It will be worse than your factory bulbs. E-mail me if you want more information on lighting on Pathy. Since I upgraded to the real HID for my low beam headlight. I'm assuming you have 00-02 Pathfinder right? here's my e-mail add : mr.q@onebox.com
  • brian60brian60 Member Posts: 76
    lspangler1,

I got a little over 30k with my stock Duelers before they went through the wear markers on the outside edge (typical PF tire wear). Replaced them with Michelin Cross-Terrain SUVs which offer a better ride, greater dry/wet/snow traction, and supposedly greater longevity. They were $$$, but I feel that it is worth it (considering that the tires are the only part of the vehicle actually touching the road). Happy tire hunting when your time comes ...
    Amazing what missing just one little apostrophe can do for a word! And I don't even have the vaccine for it!

normp1 - write me and I'll give you the name of a manager at a Vancouver dealer that ALL the US people have been using. No one has told me his price has been beaten yet. I don't like to publish names and look like advertising.

-Jon
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    I'm only 6', and there is about an inch above my head. You'd get one to two inches extra headroom if you didn't get the sunroof. You can also recline the seat for more. Legroom is no problem. Much roomier than my 4Runner was.
    Hi ccneier.. My roomie has your dimensions, and he fits well with headroom to spare. And my SE has a sunroof. You should drive it anyhow.

Have fun!
  • wildcorgiswildcorgis Member Posts: 84
    Just got a 02 Bronzegray SE 2WD with pop. pkg. If you look at my messages on these boards, I was looking for a lot of cars and this one was wasn't really on my list. In fact, I wrote one message saying I liked the Highlander over PF.

The deciding factor was they took my lease car off my hands with 4 mo. to go. I got it at Mossy San Diego and their prices are pretty fixed and they are similar to carsdirect.com pricing. It was also one of the easiest car transactions I've ever made.

The car is absolutely awesome and I think my wife likes it a little too. She really had her heart set on a Highlander. The things I prefer on the PF over the HL are the ride is more firm but not bouncy (better than my ex-99 Accord), quiet ride, more stuff for your money, reliability (key point) just as good as Toyota and Honda, good looking, extremely well made, nice stereo.

The only kind of bad thing is the gas mileage but my commute to work is about 8 mile round trip and half the time I carpool in my wife's car. I probably put less than 12K a year. So I'm happy to splurge a little and get the awesome 240 HP engine--boy is it smooth!!

Anyway I don't want to blab on forever. I want to keep my next car for quite awhile so I did put a lot of thought in this and I know I made a great choice.

Well I hope to be on the board a lot to give my impressions and experiences and I will definitely be asking tons of questions. For example:

1.gas mileage?

2.how does it run on reg. gas?

3.I got 2WD 'cause in San Diego we get very little rain. In fact this season we got less than 2 inches. So with RWD is the handling tricky in the rain?

Steve
  • pitrottpitrott Member Posts: 37
    Wild,
    First Congrats on your New P-Finder... aren't they SweeeeeeeT !,
    Now as for some of your ?'s

1. Gas Mileage... well 12-18 mpg's
    2. Reg Gas... Runs fine ..But.. I am sure over the long haul it will effect your VQ engine... not worth saving Cent's on the gal...go premium!
    3. RWD well the P-Finder is a heavy SUV so it should not be a problem.
    4. ENJOY IT!

5. For the rest of the gang here, Does any one have the nav sys? i have a few ?'s for ya!

PIT
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    Tires-I got 32.5k out of ours before they were done.

Size-I'm also 6', and I fit fine in our SE w/sunroof. I will have problems though if big hair for guys becomes the rage again! ; )

Gas-use prem! It gets 2-3 mpg better than reg. (which makes up the cost savings), will give you more power, and since you dropped 30+k on a vehicle. what's $4/week?

gritz
  • jints2282jints2282 Member Posts: 33
    49 months and 49K miles later, I am still driving my factory installed tires. I rotate them religiously, and always checked pressure. I think I can squeeze another 5-10K miles until next winter. Did get a price for Generals/ Continentals for $400, which included lifetime free rotation.
  • austin_paustin_p Member Posts: 27
    Does anyone know if Nissan is in the process of following suit with Infinity and stopping the cross border purchass?

Also, has anyone heard anything else on that Canadian orginazation that is trying to get both Governments involved to open up the other auto manufacturers to allow cross border purchases?

Bryan