Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• amark2amark2 Member Posts: 10
    Can anyone help me out here? I want a ball park figure of what to pay on a lease in the New York area on an Se with everything but leather. How bout an Le? No money down just first payment and MV fees. Anyone got info?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You might try Car_man Host over in the Finance/Warranty/Insurance Board.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • sdawson713sdawson713 Member Posts: 34
    Loaded SE's go for about 370-375 a month plus tax on typical leases. The most popular lease right now is 39 months, 12,000 miles, 1000 at inception for mv fees, first payment, etc.

Hope that helps.
    Sid
  • marks1970marks1970 Member Posts: 25
    My Pathfinder has a couple pen marks on the inside door panels (on the vinyl/plastic) that I cannot seem to remove. I've tried using Goo-gone, some other cleaning stuff that got ink out of carpeting, and I went as nuts as trying to use nail polish remover with no luck!

Any suggestions?
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    As silly as this may sound, try hairspray. Any old kind will do. I used my wifes (really) Paul Mitchell on pen marks and it removed them.

If that doesn't work try a product from Carbona called "Stain Devels 3 - Ink and Crayon". It's a little yellow bottle with a white cap. My wife tells me it has worked when hair spray hasn't. But, be careful with this stuff it will fade some materials.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • omega11omega11 Member Posts: 36
    Hello,
    My 01 SE pathy is making a clicking sound when the fan is on. It is most noticable when it is set to the lowest setting. I would like to get it fixed as it is really really annoying, but am afriad that the work done will upset the fit of the interior components and result in rattles. Can anyone with a shop manual tell me if this fear is warrented?
  • dbenjamin1dbenjamin1 Member Posts: 12
    Hi Pit,
    As I followed the stereotypical male rule of not reading the nav sys manual, I'm not sure if I'll be able to help- but fire away and I'll see what I can do.
    On a side note- took the LE in the other week for the 8K service and it was the first one the dealer had seen with the nav system. Kinda funny to see the service and sales guys crowding around it :)
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    I went to my dealer about this last year and they told me to basically leave them alone that "they all do that". Well guess what? I found last week that there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on this. Number NTB99-017b. Nissan has a noise insulating cover to muffle the noise. Call them and tell them to fix it. Use the exact words you just did - clicking on low speed. My cover is on order.
    -Jon
    And if you have manual seats (not power like on the LE) and you feel a slight side-to-side movement when rounding corners there is a TSB for that also. Number NTB01-070a. Basically they add another spring washer to take up any slack. My dealer said I was nuts on this one too when I mentioned it before. It's just too bad that *I* have to be the one to find the information for them on how to fix things.

The Pathfinder is a fabulous vehicle with great reliability, but it's disappointing to see in Consumer Reports this month that as a whole Nissan dealer service ranks second from last of all brands sold in the US. Would have been dead last in Canada since Mitsubishi was at the bottom and they don't have Mitsus there yet.

-Jon
  • pitrottpitrott Member Posts: 37
    ?'s as follows
    I have read the hole book on the navi and i can't seem to fig out the following and either can nissan,
    1. In 2d mode what are the black dot marks on some street's or roads?
    2. What are the differant colors for land(dark grey on one side of the road for land the other side is white for land? even yellow for land..

hope ya can help me.... tks
    For the rest of the gang ... has any one had problems with the sunroof on the le? mine need's replaced ... never used it! yikes!!!!
    Thanks All
    PIT!
  • kkfitzkkfitz Member Posts: 4
    I have an '02 LE I purchased in Canada last month (thanks Jon Lofquist), and need to add a hitch for pulling a motorcycle trailer. I like the idea of the Nissan hitch with the little step pad but I'd like some user input from the trenches.

I'm not very tall (5 foot 4), and thought that the step pad might be helpful in reaching the roof rack area, but sometimes great theories don't quite work as well in practice. Do those of you with the Nissan hitch ever utilize the step area? Is it actually useful, or is it more of an annoyance than its worth?

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have learned so much from this arena!
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I ditched the the Nissan hitch since the dealer wanted $450. I had a class III Hidden hitch installed for around $200 w/ wiring. Regardless, any hitch you have installed will extend well beyond the bumper due to the spare tire directly beneath the bumper. I've stood on mine for access and it does come in handy even though it doesn't have a pad to step on.

If you go with an after market hitch, make sure it is designed for an '01 or later model. The exhaust is routed differently than the earlier models. I had an initial problem of the exhaust rattling against the hitch frame.
  • troccotrocco Member Posts: 19
    Anybody knows any of the changes for 2003?
    I heard Nissan was going to redesign the pathfinder.

Trocco
  • wildcorgiswildcorgis Member Posts: 84
    Well I’ve had my Pathfinder for a week and absolutely love it. I check this board all the time but there are not as many posts as the others. The boards I came from I do admit have new models and there are always lots of people giving first impressions and asking questions. The Pathfinder has been around for quite awhile so I guess it’s pretty well established… but come on!, I want to read more posts about them!!!

I’m very impressed with Nissan and their products. I think of the big 3 (Toyota, Honda and Nissan) Nissans are the best! Honda makes incredibly reliable cars but is for people who like well built practical cars but would rather not spend a fortune on one. They sacrifice some solidity for lightweight that will bias toward fuel economy and good handling. Toyota on the other hand is the exact opposite. Their cars are also well built and comfort and quiet is sacrificed for some fuel economy and performance. Generally not a lot of frills but all the materials used are of the highest quality. Nissan cars especially the PF are built as solid as a rock and the quality of materials are also top notch. My PF has great amenities for the price and is an overall terrific value for the money. Almost every model they make is tops in the looks department too. Let me know what you think? If you disagree let me know too. You won’t hurt my feelings!!

I have tons of questions but I’ll try to mete them out slowly as not to inundate everybody. So far (1 week, two tanks) my mileage is 16.5 mpg. Not bad. Hoped for better but was expecting worse. I have no major complaints and the only change I would suggest is having the remote pop the rear window… really stretching, huh? I have the popular pkg. and the auto climate is a little confusing to say the least. To heat the cars use the ECON button? I’m half-Japanese and still couldn’t figure that one out. On the manual setting how can I get outside air to come in that’s neither cooled nor heated?

Got lots more stuff to say but will hold back to rest your ears.

Happy Pathfinding!,

Steve
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    wildcorgis: You can use the heat in ether auto or econ. The only difference is in econ the a/c compressor does not engage. Saves on fuel?
    If you want just outside air check the outside air button (separate button next to the defog button)and turn the temp down to 65 deg and use the manual button to direct the air where you want it. The air might come out of the vents automatically anyway. Steve
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Since you are half Japanese, I guess it is OK that you said the big 3 were Honda, Nissan, and Toyota.
  • the_gladiatorthe_gladiator Member Posts: 58
    I ordered a bug deflector from nissanpartsusa.com.

The found the deflector had a crack about 12 inches long. Called the parts dept. They're supposed to accept return items no questions asked as long as you have the invoice.

That turns out not to be true. They insisted that it was the shippers fault and that they would not accept a return. The shipper would be responsible. The carton looked unblemished. I think it was from their parts dept. I found "Bob" to be unpleasant.

The shipper is taking responsibility even though I think the fault was elsewhere. I'm neither promoting nor discouraging anyone to do business with them. Just want to provide the facts and allow you to decide.
  • jecklesjeckles Member Posts: 87
    The 01 PF seems to have some sort of air bag or large foam bumper inside the rear axle coil springs. When you installed your air lift, did you remove thise bumpers or put your air lift outside the coil springs?

Was it a difficult job? Any advice or lessons learned?

Thanks
    Jon
  • mbeachammbeacham Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone--

I have a problem I hope someone can help me with. I have a '98 Pathfinder Chilkoot (incidentally, I too purchased it in Canada, although I live in North Carolina - great deal, but a bit of a hassle). Over the last month, the compass/therm display began to work intermittently, sometimes coming on when the car started, and then turning off in the middle of driving. This happened for about two weeks, but now it has shut off completely. I'm sure the dealership can fix it, but I'm also sure they will charge me an arm and leg to do it. I've tried to find anything in a repair manual, but no such luck. If anyobdy knows if there is a bulb that needs to be changed, or a battery, or something that I might be able to tackle myself (I'm a female, so take that into account), please let me know - you can email me at bertha@nc.rr.com

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
    Mel
  • tbourgoynetbourgoyne Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I am looking at buying a used (2001) model pathfinder. Its for the wife and she wants a 2 wheel drive LE with leather and Sunroof.
    What know problems do I need to look for?

Thanks!
    Tray
  • tbourgoynetbourgoyne Member Posts: 2
    I've checked several sights including Edmunds. What I'm finding is that they are low compared to what I see the PF's actually selling for.
    I am looking at a 2001 LE 4x2 loaded with 14,800 miles and they want $25,000.
    Is that a good price? What are ya'll paying?

Thanks,
    Tray
  • malachiemalachie Member Posts: 6
    I bought my used PF in July 2001 ... unfortunately it does not have the same specs as the one you are looking at. In case it helps any, I bought a 2001 SE, 4x4 with 19k miles for $21.9k (in Massachusetts). It essentially has no options but I was happy with the 6CD and Bose system, power locks/windows but would have enjoyed the leather and moonroof (next one!).

My PF (Knocking on wood) has been OUTSTANDING! I drove it home in the snowstorm the night the Pats beat Oakland (well after the game) from Boston to basically two exits north of the Foxboro where I live and it held the road perfect (no comment on the Pats victory- I'm a transplanted New Yorker). I would say the only issue I have had with it would be every morning when I pull onto the main road and accelerate it seems to want to wind out first gear... then it never happens the rest of the trip (and of course cannot be repeated at the service shop).

Anyway, best of luck in your search!
    Matt
    alwaysford-- whoops! I guess I meant top 3 Japanese automakers.

the_gladiator -- I was looking to buy one also and am considering nissanpartsusa maybe it's worth paying a litle extra and buying it from the dealer. Any reason you didn't get one from weathertech.com?

tbourgoyne--paid 25,800 for a 02 SE 4x2 with pop.pkg,trailer hitch, body mould.,filter. I know it's a little different than the one you're looking at; no leather, sunroof and other convenience items. My price was fair but not great.

Happy Pathfinding!,

Steve
    I am looking to acquire a cargo holder to put on the roof of my PF (with a new little one there is so much more to bring!!). I am having a hard time deciding what to go with so I was hoping some of you all might have some advice for me. I have a 2001 PF (see a couple of posts up).

It seems there are three options:
    * Safari basket
    * Cargo holder - soft
    * Cargo holder - hard

I was originally looking for the hard cargo holder just for being water proof and potentially being able to lock it. On the other hand the safari basket is inexpensive and seems more flexible with regard to what you could put up there. Then the soft cargo holder seems like you could also be somewhat flexible. I am also having a hard time finding a hard cargo holder (checked out nissan-assecories.com and jcwhitney without a lot of luck).

Anyway, if anyone has thoughts as to what might be the best way to go I would appreciate it.
    Thanks!!
    Matt
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    I like the idea of the hard cargo holders but considering how often I need one, the soft one is great. It's a whole lot cheaper. It doesn't take a whole lot of room in my garage when I don't need it. Since it's always in the trunk, I always have it when I need it; and I don't always know I'm going to need it ...

P.S. Mine is the Samsonite.
  • the_gladiatorthe_gladiator Member Posts: 58
    Steve,

Never heard of weathertech.com. I'll check 'em out. Thanks.

Matt,

I too, was looking at cargo baskets. Changed my mind when I thought about the wind resistence. My shorter stature would make it difficult to load and unload it.

Anyway, I am getting a 12 ft fishing boat. I found that I can get luggage carriers and bike carriers that are mounted on the trailer hitch. That's what I plan to do.

Brad
  • yrideyride Member Posts: 21
    Has anyone successfully attached a Yakima ski rack to the CAN factory rack ('01 SE)? I tried using Yakima Mighty Mounts but they are not big enough to fit around the cross bar and into the attachment.
    Yes, you can use both the Yakima and Thule mounts on the Canadian rack.
    For Yakima use 17V or 18H instead of 10V or 23H.
    For Thule use C35 instead of C27.

I have all of the above and they fit fine. Both Thule and Yakima know the right numbers if you call them, but they don't have it on the web site. The Canadian cross rails are slightly wider than the US rails. Makes for slightly better stability and less noise (maybe better security too since it has tamper-resistant bolts).

-Jon
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    There is a rubber bumper inside the coils. They are secured by a bolt,very easy to remove. The air springs work very well but the hardware is five&dime store quality.(below K-mart)The instruction said it took a couple of hours to install them. Expect to take a good part of a day. Just rout the hoses away from the exhaust.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Meca2 is right. That's a bumpstop. Visit this link which loosely shows the installation on my Pathfinder.
  • kkfitzkkfitz Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the feedback on the hitch, dieselone. I'll be sure to watch out for the after '01 style. I thought it seemed odd that a Nissan salesman talked about adding an aftermarket type hitch instead of the Nissan hitch when I was looking at a hitchless Pathfinder on his lot.

wildcorgis - I LOVE my Pathfinder. Love, love, love, love, love. Why is it that I can say that about my vehicle but not in my relationships? (Apologies to Domino Pizza's current ad campaign)
    Couimet- quick question. Where did you get your samsonite cargo carrier? (I hope online as Canada might be a bit far for me!). The one I was looking at is on www.nissan-accessories.com and it appears to have an interior frame which would negate the space advantage (which by the way automatically became my #1 pro for the soft carrier when you mentioned it!). I must be looking in the wrong place (I did try samsonite.com). Thanks for the advice!
    Matt
    Kkfitz—they ‘re hard not to love!! Commercial that epitomizes my feelings towards my PF is the VW ad where the man drags his wife out to see the windows roll down with a turn of the key. Had me rolling. My wife’s attitude was the same as the wife in the commercial.

Here in wonderful San Diego where our local legislators cannot get answers to why we pay more gas than most parts of the country, gas at the local Shell station which is pretty indicative of prices around the county was $1.57 for regular and $1.88 for premium. Our neighbors to the north, Los Angeles pay about 20 cents less than we do. Price you pay to live in paradise!! ; )

Happy Pathfinding!!

Steve
    When I got mine last year there was one Samsonite model: 13 cu. ft. polyester fabric.

They now have two more models: a 15 cu. ft. 20 gauge tarpaulin type for additional waterproofness and a 24 cu. ft.polyester fabric model.

I got mine at BryanGlobalServices.com (http://www.bryanglobalservices.com/luggagecarrier.html). They were excellent to deal with.
  • baddestbob1baddestbob1 Member Posts: 96
    Hard for me to understand why you would want a hard to reach or secure rooftop carrier unless you have to haul skis, canoes, etc. A hitch carrier holds 500 pounds (Class 3), is out of the way, out of the wind, securable with chain and lock. You can step between carrier and vehicle to access rear compartment and can get into your "stuff" easily. Costs about $75 and will last a lifetime.
  • callie4callie4 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at purchasing a PF LE 4WD 2002 demo - 2070 miles, leather, dvd, nav sys, 6cd pretty much everything for $37,000 out the door at 3.9% for 60 months. Please advise.
    I looked at the web site where I bought my car. Mossy Nissan in San Diego posts one price and usually doesn't budge on it. Their prices are usually good but not great. They were a few hundred dollar more than what I found on carsdirect.com.

I found a PF similiar to yours and with CA tax at 7.75% and $250 for license it was $38K.

http://nissan.mossy.com/new/veh.asp?UntId=0K21289

So you're saving about $1,000 over new. I thought new cars devalued quickly when driven off the lot? But the financing sounds real good. Hard to find a used car loan that low for 60 mo.

Happy Pathfinding,

Steve

What's the asking price before tax, licensing, interest, and doc fees?
  • shek3shek3 Member Posts: 72
    I paid $30,000 for my 2001 LE(no navigation system). Is the navigation system work $7,000 or there a bunch of other things in there. My LE has everything but navigation and entertainment. Mike
  • dbenjamin1dbenjamin1 Member Posts: 12
    Seems a bit high to me. I purchased a 01 LE with Nav,ent pkgs and the dealer had 2. He tried to sell the mngrs demo with 3K miles, but I managed to get the one on the floor with 10 miles. Price before tax was 32,200, with the same financing.If i recall, sticker was close to 38. Granted this was end of model yr, and the dealer had approx 10 PF on the lot and he had to move them...I'd think you should be able to get at 35K all included.
    And depending where you are, I saw an 01 LE with 11K with all the above goodies for sale(private) in MA for $30K.
  • omega11omega11 Member Posts: 36
    Thanks Jon! Do you have the part number of the fan cover?

Regards.
  • cretecrete Member Posts: 105
    Hi, I'm a new PF owner and have been reading your boards here for some time now. I have a lot of things to ask and say, but will leave them for another post. Just wanted to post and ask if my deal is really that good. I got a 2002 LE 4WD PF brand new with only 60 miles on it for 30K. I've been pricing the PF on the nissan website with the features I wanted; LE, 4WD, Limited Slip, Cabin Filter, BSM, Sunroof Deflector and the MSRP price totaled out at 34,603.00. I then stopped at Stanford Nissan after I saw their ad for a PF at $4000.00 below MSRP. I found it was the exact PF I built on the web, right down to the options and colors. Their MSRP was the same at 34,603 and they said this month had been slow and they needed to bring customers in. I've test driven PF's about 4 times up to now at different dealers and once I got in this one I knew it was the one for me. So I picked it up a few days ago at 30,603 (with Ca tax, tags it totaled out at 33514.00). In the few days I've had this vehicle it has fulfilled all my expectations I wanted in a SUV. I will say that I have test driven up to 15 or so different SUV's over the past year and narrowed it down to the PF or Acura MDX. But with the MDX not around for 6-8 months and coming in at 44,000.00. I felt this PF was the one for me, I hope to have many miles of driving enjoyment.

Jeff
    crete- sounds like you got a decent deal to me... especially if you enjoy it!

As for the thirty-seven thousand dollar question, it was unclear whether that was the dealer's asking price, or if that was the final cost of everything... purchase price, tax, licensing, doc fees, interest payments over 60 months, etc.

$37K is wayyyyy to much for even a loaded Pathfinder, let alone a used loaded Pathfinder. But add in tax, interest, etc., it could be reasonable.... At any rate, you should be negotiating with the dealer on purchase price, not the "out the door" price. But then again, if the 3.9% deal means you have to pay a few hundred dollars more on the purchase price, it could be better than getting a used car loan @ 6.9% or higher...
    One can get a soft roof top carriers that when not in use take no space to store. In fact, mine is in the "trunk" all the time so that it's where I am whenever I need it.

One can get a hard roof top carrier and leave it on the roof permanently or store it somewhere when not needed. Hopefully it's available where/when you need it.

One can get a hitch box and leave it on the hitch permanently or store it somewhere when not needed. Leaving it on the hitch permanently looks really impractical to me - parking among other things ... Hopefully it's available where/when you need it.

Personally, I like the soft roof top carrier which, in addition to out-of-the-way-in-the-trunk compactness also leaves the hitch for my 3-bike carrier.

There is more than one type of carrier to allow for our individual needs. For my needs, I made the right choice, except that maybe I'd like to get my hands on the new 24 cu ft Samsonite ...
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    That sounds high to me. I just bought a brand new Infiniti QX4 loaded with everything including dvd but no navigation system taxes, docs and all for $36,600. I have now put 2000 miles on it myself in the last 7 weeks. Shouldn't the Pathfinder be less than the QX4. The nav is not worth that much. I would not touch that deal if I were you. With 2000 miles, I would offer him about $30 K.
  • mdmudpupmdmudpup Member Posts: 1
    Bought a superblack se 4wd w/options: s94, l92, f95 & go5. $26200 plus tags & taxes, frieght was included in the selling price. Paid $210 over CR wholesale price ($25990). $1200 under invoice ($27400). Took the $1k cash back, used my credit union 4.9% financing. bought from a maryland dealer. best experience i ever had buying a vehicle. it helps to have another dealer with the same optioned pathfinder on the lot. just ordered a class 3 hitch and wiring form hitch-web.com $201 including shipping. dealer wants $399 invoice.
  • cretecrete Member Posts: 105
    I've got an '02 PF 4WD LE with the in dash 6-CD player/changer, bose radio/cassette unit. I'm confused about which antenna is being used. I have a fixed mast manual antenna as described in the manual. But the manual says that with this radio unit I have two FM diversity antennas printed on the front windshield. All I can find on the windshield is a one thin line going from top to bottom in the center of the glass. Is this the FM antenna? But what is the fixed mast antenna on the fender used for, AM? Also the manual says there is a power antenna, is this an option I could install for everything? I hate the thought of having to remove/replace the manual one each time I go through an auto carwash. Does anyone have a power antenna, if so where did you buy it?

Jeff
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    The FM radio uses both antennaes...depending on optimum signal direction.

I don't believe any US PFs ('01 or '02...I have an '01) have the power antenna...maybe Canadian ones do.
  • batchelor22batchelor22 Member Posts: 10
    Can anyone recommend a convertible car seat that fits well in a 2001 Pathy? Any suggestions as to what you use and works well for you or what you would recommend would be greatly appreciated. I am in Canada so the Britax models are unavailable here. Thanks!
  • normp1normp1 Member Posts: 25
    Can anyone tell me if a hidden hitch or other make is easily installed on the new pathfinder or is the installation best left to a installer ? I know that for instance on a Highlander it is pre drilled or ready to accept bolts and can be installed by the owner easily within a half hour. As well does the pathfinder have a wiring harness or attachment that can just be plugged in ? Last question do I need to purchase an aftermarket trans cooler or does it come equipped with one ?
    Many thanks !