Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    I just saw an artists rendering in the latest issue of Automobile magazine. It looks pretty good and is supposed to directly compete with the Ford and Chevy. I don't have the magazine with me here, but it does have some styling cues from the Murano, but more edgy and crisp.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • pitrottpitrott Member Posts: 37
    Well as for the sunroof, i went to open it up all way and it just went click! but it would do the pop up. so i took it in and they said that it was the seal (It looked warped) that was bad... so they went to replace the glass and seal, at first they wanted to rip the whole headliner out (yikes) then they brought in some one with skills and he got the sunroof in like brand new!. Now for the o2 sensor... One day my Check Engine light came on..so after checking the Gas cap i call the dealer and he said it was the gas cap and wait a few day and the light should re-set... Well i'm no sap so i took it in and low and behold it was a 400.00 Rear O2 sensor (2 of them in the P-finder ) So only thing still pending is my ghosts in my windows growning when half way down! As for the gas mpg's well the K@N helps and the engine is breaking in. No stearing wheel shimmy here. all well in P-Finder land!
    R/
    Pit
  • marks1970marks1970 Member Posts: 25
    smithmd,

Thanks for your response. When they successfully rebalanced your tires, did they put the weights on the outside of the rim, or is everything on the inside?

ggombos,

Who recoated your wheels and do you know how much something like that costs?

Thanks for all your helpf!
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    I understand that wheel balancing weights placed on the inside of the rim (or attached with adhesive) will keep the visible wheel surface from being scratched, but why else would you want weights only on the inside if proper balancing can only be achieved by using both inside weights and adhesive weights placed as close to the outside edge as possible?

Discount Tire recommends using weights on both sides of the wheel, but there seem to be differing opinions about this here. What's the best solution?
  • ggombosggombos Member Posts: 18
    Marks1970 - The guy who recoated the wheel was a local guy in Gaithersburg,MD called Wheel Doctor, not a chain. In fact he said he doesn't advertise since most of his business from local car dealers, tire shops, etc. As far as the price I believe it would have been $125 but NTB (shop that messed it up doing a flat tire patch) paid for it.

I too would like to know others experience with inside wheels weights and will post my own when that time rolls around.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This would be a good question to crosspost over in the Tires, tires, tires discussion. Allow me :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Just brought it in today...Besides the regular checklist, the brakes had been "pulsating" a bit at low speed stops (i.e., up to a stoplight). They resurfaced them (under warranty, of course) and the pulsating is gone. That has been the only problem I've had with this vehicle ('01 LE).

That was the good news...the bad news was the $300 bill ;-(. I guess we're a bit over the national average here on LI, NY.
  • mazadimazadi Member Posts: 26
    I just had my 01 LE shipped across country, and they took the cross bars of the luggage racks off(the ones that come on the car).

Does anyone know how to get these bars back on? I'm apparently not smart enough to figure it out on my own. I can't figure out how to get them back into the tracks.

Thanks in advance.
  • yrideyride Member Posts: 21
    There are two tricks to getting at the factory roof rack.
    1) Remove rear endcaps on the tracks in the roof. Use Torx (star shaped) driver to remove the single screw in each endcap
    2) Raise rear liftgate. This premits you to slide the cap backwards out of the track.

Use this access to slide the roof rack retainers in the roof track.
  • yrideyride Member Posts: 21
    I have a persistent squeak coming from the rear brakes on my '01 SE. It started a few months ago just on the first braking cycle (cold brakes). Now it occurs when the brakes are cold and occasionally when they are hot.

Any suggestion on how to fix this one?
  • jmsmithbc1jmsmithbc1 Member Posts: 9
    Need help...I've got an 01' PF SE with 50K and need to replace the rear window support arms. My local dealer wants $116 EACH! Sounds rediculous, but my local auto parts stores have no listings for Strong Arms that will fit. Has anyone replaced theres? If so, where did you get them and what was the cost? Am I wrong, or is the dealers price outrageous?
  • stockstimingstockstiming Member Posts: 27
    I launched my boat at Lake Elsinore and there were no problems with the compressor as to its mounted location.
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    If they need replacement, it should be no-charge ... warranty.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    In preparation for a trailer with electric brakes, I need to install a brake controller. I need to run a wire into the drivers compartment from under the floor. Do anyone know the location of a grommet or simple entry into the brake pedal area?

Has anyone installed a brake controller, as I need to locate the wire which runs from the brake light switch to the brake lamps (only powered when brakes applied)?

Thanks

Woody
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    I've never had one of these and I don't know how much current is required, but if all you need is power when brakes are applied, how about wiring it in the brake light (tail light) assembly?
  • ced1ced1 Member Posts: 8
    I too had both rear engine O2 sensors go bad on my 01 LE just last month, at 16k miles. I never saw what the bill would have been since it was covered. Yikes! to $400 if it happens again out of warranty.
  • fwankfwank Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 2001 LE since May '00 and have had a great experience until falling prey to the dreaded Err 2 CD Changer message last week. I can't play or retrieve any of the 3 factory cd's or 3 CDR's in the changer. I know several folks have had same problem (sanandton, mbunting - post 1064,5) and were able to get warranty to cover replacement. My dealership is pushing back and is trying to stick me with replacement cost. Any suggestions or arguments I can use? I've seen NA Consumer Affairs mentioned - can you provide contact info? I would rather avoid going to that extreme if possible. Thanks!!
  • normp1normp1 Member Posts: 25
    To phil47 or others. I inquired into purchasing Nissan rubber door / protection strips but was told by my dealer that official Nissan body molding door strips(or whatever there are called) would cost over $1000. I re checked this with the dealer and the parts manager said that that was the correct cost from Nissan . Hard to believe. She suggested purchasing non Nissan strips for a fraction of the cost. ( $ 100 - 175 ). Has anyone purchased Nissan OEM strips and how much did you pay ? Thanks to all that respond . (p.s. she did not confuse these with the fender flares)
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Your dealer is ripping you off...or doesn't have a clue. The moldings are an official Nissan option only south of the border, so many Cdn dealers are clueless.

They can be purchased as a set of 4 from many online Nissan parts dealers. I got mine here:

https://www.nissanpartsusa.com/secure/catalogue.htm

for $32 USD (that's around $50 CDN...not $1000!). Check under "Other Pathfinder accesories" and you will find them. Unfortunately, I think this outfit no longer ships to Canada, so you'll have to find another source. I suspect a search for Nissan parts on the web will yield a few good possibilities. Good luck.

• neil73neil73 Member Posts: 7
    Fwank,
    I'm not sure what the dealership is trying to pull. This repair should be covered under your bumper to bumper warranty. My CD changer also jammed several months ago. When I took the truck to dealer they thoroughly diagnosed the problem and said, "Yeah, it sure is jammed alright." From there they ordered a new unit and replaced the broken unit when the new one arrived. No charge to me. Additionally, they washed and vacuumed my truck. The service dept manager said "sorry for the inconvienence" and gave me a customer satisfaction survey to fill out. A week later, I got a call from Nissan HQ asking me how my how well the service went. BTW, Clarion mailed the CDs 5 weeks later.

Inform the service manager that you will call Nissan HQ, that should light a fire under them.

Neil
    Neil73, I think fwank's problem is that he had CD-Rs in the changer, and the manual specifically warns against using them as they could jam the changer and void the warranty. Some dealers have backed down and allowed a warranty repair even with CD-Rs, and some have not. It's a bit of a crap shoot...
    I ordered genuine body side mouldings for my 2001 Pathfinder about a year ago from:

<http://www.nissanparts.cc/>

I believe they are based in Tacoma, Washington, and did send to Canada. They did cost a few dollars, with the $ exchange, duty, brokerage fees, but look great, colour matching my truck
  • jeffirving42jeffirving42 Member Posts: 3
    I want to buy an '02 SE 5-speed for my wife. She's worn out our old '87 FJ60 Land Cruiser. The local DC-area dealers don't want to work with us on locating a truck. So two questions:

1) What about the CarMax special order service?

2) What are the biggest Nissan dealerships along the East Coast and close by Midwest? Can I likely do a good internet deal through them? And dropship the truck to a place locally?

TIA, all.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I've heard (have not personally tried them) that they will search the vehicle for you and do all the necessary arrangements to have it sent to you. It might be worth looking into.
  • dlundgrendlundgren Member Posts: 17
    If anyone's looking for a laugh, take a walk over to the Honda Pilot discussion. Those people are getting charged $900 for step rails, $795 for Scotchguard, all kinds of excesses for something that you can't see out the roof and have to click the odometer button twice to see the temperature.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I know you know the way to the Pathfinder vs. Pilot comparision discussion. :-)
    Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    There is a black plate with two studs going through it on the drivers side firewall. It comes off when you remove the nuts, revealing a hole into the passenger cabin by the pedals. I drilled a hole in the plate and used a strain relief grommet to pass a cable into the cabin.
  • ced1ced1 Member Posts: 8
    Give Tri-State Nissan in Winchester, VA a call at 1-888-496-6867. That is where I ended up after the local Wash DC dealers wouldn't work with me. They found what I wanted in Hagerstown MD and brought it back for me. Good Luck.
    Thanks for the information on routing a wire into the passenger compartment!
  • pitrottpitrott Member Posts: 37
    Well yes that is a chunk of change! but my dealer has the lifetime parts thing going so yippi, they way it going i will never have to pay for a new part! hehehe
    pit
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    Sorry for the late reply; I've been out of town and away from my computer for a few days.

The weights have always been put on the outside of the wheel on my truck.

The finish on the wheels has definitely been damaged, but I'm not very worried about it. For me, this is a truck that I use for camping, off-roading, towing, hauling, fishing, hunting, mountainbiking, working cattle, and just about anything else you might use a vehicle for. Heck, my Pathfinder has even done a pretty good imitation of a boat in a desert rainstorm.

I won't win any glossy paint or shiny wheel awards, but my oil is changed and my tires are rotated every 3,000 miles.
    I finally bit the bullet and bought a "summer" package for my 2001 PF LE. I ended up getting a set of 18"x8" Anterra alloys (type 301) with 255/55/ZR18 Pirelli P-Zero Scorpion tires. WOW! Not only do they look INCREDIBLE, but the wheel/tire package does amazing things to the handling of this SUV. I was sure that I may have to consider other suspension tweaks (sway bars, springs, bushings, shocks, etc.) to really improve the handling, but I'm so happy with the improvement now, I'm going to leave it as is. Obviously I'm hanging on to my OE 16" alloy wheels with Bridgestone Duelers for the winter as I'm quite happy with them for that purpose.

Just thought I'd let folks know that this upgrade can be very rewarding if you want improved looks and performance.
    Please post pictures of your ride with the 18" rims :)
    are here:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/phil99_5

I have also posted pics of the chrome tip (same as the Platinum Edition QX4) and some shots of the clear nose mask (to show that it is very difficult to spot yet protects very well).

These Antera wheels are awesome. You'll notice the air stem is actually hidden under the center cap for a cleaner look. There is also no rim to attach weights to on the outside, so you can just barely make out the weights stuck onto the inner surface of the wheel dish (these wheels are extremely well balanced, no shimmy whatsoever). Finally, if you look at the tire photos at full size, you can just make out that the Pirelli P-Zero has a great recessed rim around the bead to protect the wheel rim from curb damage, etc. Very slick.

• pondfull5pondfull5 Member Posts: 53
    phil47:
    Excellent combo upgrade. Fantastic Pictures too. Did you buy five wheels? Where will I find them in the U.S.A? Enjoy them.

full5.
    They really go well with the Pathfinder. Enjoy!
    The total diameter is within 0.1 inches of stock, so I'm using the stock spare. Anterra wheels are Italian, but they are available in the US (I believe the distributor is in California). Look online. They are a bit pricey (around $750 USD per corner for the wheel/tire combo), but it is absolutely BRUTAL trying to find a classy 18" wheel for the Pathfinder (especially if you don't want chrome). The 6-bolt pattern and offset left VERY few choices that looked good and also stayed inside the fenders, so I ended up shelling out more bucks than anticipated. Oh well, I'm happy with the results...
    Hi Phil:

Wheels look classy. I have being trying to find some rims for my XE for winter driving conditions here in BC. I was sold some Toyota Tundra rims, but they had an extra inch of offset, and the XE does not have flares. I suppose I could mount some Anterra on my Winter Duelers and use them in the winter, but perhaps the salt and gravel would be harsh!

Nissan steel rims are about $250 each, but nowhere near as classy as the Anterra's!

Excellent work

Woody in sunny, hot B.C. (no snow on the horizon)
  • bkfulbrightbkfulbright Member Posts: 15
    Hi Phil,

Awesome wheels! I like the stock rims on the 2001 LE but the rims you bought look great. I'm curious where you got the chrome tip for your exhaust? I would like to get one myself.

Brad
    It's a Nissan part, so it can be ordered right from your dealer. The only problem was that the tightening machine screws they provided were too long. I went to my local hardware store and bought the same diameter and thread pitch machine screws but shorter (in stainless steel) and they fit great.

I also really like the stock LE wheels which is why I kept them for my winter tire package. If they were 18" I would have only changed the rubber. However, the plus-2 sizing really does improve performance (on road) in a big way.
    Hi Phil:
    thanks for the first info.
    On the wheels size, are they 18"x 8" or 18"x 8.5"?

Do they come with their own Lugs?

Could you have use 275/60/18 instead of the 255/55/18?

On the Pirelli Tires, what's the actual marking on the Tires? Are they 255/55/ZR18 or 255/55/R18REINF? And is it V or H rated?

And finally, Phil, your Taste in These upgrade are impeccable.

Thanks V. Much.
    full5.
    Thanks for the compliment. Now on to the info.

The tires are 255/55/R18 109 V. I said ZR18 before as if they were Z rated but that was wrong. They are V rated.

The wheels are 18x8.5 with a positive 20mm offset and a 6x139.7 lug pattern. Any wider tire or less offset would bring the edge of the tire very close (or beyond) the edge of the fender. Don't go there.

275/60/18 would be a larger diameter than stock and so would throw out your speedo. It would also require a greater positive offset to prevent sticking out which runs the risk of interference with the front struts. I would also guess you would start running into rubbing problems on hard cornering in the front wheel wells. Definitely test this combo before buying...

The Anterra wheels come with their own lugs (at that price, they better!). The nice thing about them is they were custom milled to fit my PF, so the hub bore was also custom milled and is perfectly hub-centric. This leads to better balance. Incidentally, the Anterra distributor had the 2001 PF listed as a zero mm offset....this is WRONG. We assumed that 20mm was right (based on the stock wheel config, etc.) and so took a chance. We were right...

Hope this helps.
  • drbigzdrbigz Member Posts: 21
    Has anyone installed a weathertech hood deflector on their car? I have a 2001 LE. I tried to install it and it doesn't fit at all. They said it would not require any drilling but the holes under the hood are not lining up. Can anyone help me?
    Thank you v. much for the priceless info.

The Operation Manager for CEC Wheels, the Sole Distributor of Ant era Wheels in USA, in the North East area, Mr Christopher Johnson, replied my email and said the MSRP price for the silver is $499.00 and $799.00 for the chrome respectively for the type 301. And they have a wheel/tire special going at this time.

I have seek his help. Hopefully I should hear from him next week. But if your dealer can help me locate good dealer in New York City or NJ area will be much appreciated. The Manhattan dealer I contacted was Cluless and the Great Neck, LI, dealer wants $3000.00 plus 8.5% tax for the set.

The only promising dealer is in Charlotte NC, his name is Jay, and that is gmpperformance.com and his price is $2400.00 complete including shipping. But it will take one month or more to get it.

Again my V Much thanks to you for taking your time to explain this things to me and others who might read it.

My greetings to all of you. And A VERY HAPPY FATHERS DAY TO ALL OF YOU.

full5.
    Thanks Phil. But What was your price in Canadian $. If possible I can have them ship to Ottawa. My Big Brother's Place. In case you are not aware, I bought my 2001 SE 5spd in Ottawa.

You can email me on the price.
    Again many thanks to you.

full5.
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    Great wheels! You must love the Pathy to sink that kinda loot for the wheels into her!

That exhaust tip: Did you have to cut back the stock tailpipe so that the new tip doesn't stick out so much? I believe a previous post indicated the tip is a bolt-on ... any vandals stealing tips in your town?
    full5: check your email

ballfire8888: you're right, I love that truck. I'd rather sink money into it than buy something else right now. As for the chrome tip, it is a bolt-on. You don't have to cut the stock tip as this one fits over it like a glove. It even has a rolled end so that the stock tip snugs right into the recess,,,looks very good. I haven't heard too much about people stealing them...especially since it would only fit a PF or a QX4. Regardless, if they want it that bad they can have it...
  • marilyn12marilyn12 Member Posts: 2
    I'm a new Pathfinder owner and new to the message board...so don't know if this problem is common to anyone else. Problem: Most of the time the cruise control is fine...but periodically, the light begins to flash and the c.c. can not be activated. The motor has to be stopped and restarted for the c.c. to work again. Please advise if you have have had this problem or any suggestions. My dealer has not heard of the problem, and has no solution unless I can drive it in with the blinking light, which I have not been able to do. Thanks!
  • bkfulbrightbkfulbright Member Posts: 15
    I called both of the local Nissan dealerships in my area and neither one had any chrome exhaust tip listed as an accessory that they could order for me. Would you happen to have the packing slip or invoice from when you ordered yours and give me the part # the dealership used for you. I checked some local auto part companies in my area for aftermarket tips but they did not have anything that would fit. Thanks in advance.
    I don't have the packing slip, but I have the receipt and it lists a "finisher" part # 99998-259909. I don't know if that part # only makes sense in Canada or my local dealer, but that's what it sez. If this doesn't do the trick, try your local Infiniti dealer and ask for the chrome finisher on the Platinum Edition QX4 (which was where I got the idea). It didn't cost that much more to pick it up from Infiniti vs Nissan (go figure).

Phil.