Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    Helper air springs would do what you're looking for. Do a search for Air Lift on this board (I guess you can do a search with the new setup). xplorx4 has them and likes them very much. He can definitely answer questions for you.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    This seems to be a chronic problem with the rear suspension on the Pathfinder, which has a very nice ride when mostly empty. However, add some cargo, passengers, or tow a trailer, and the back end drops a couple of inches.

To remedy this, I installed some aftermarket 'air springs' that can be inflated/deflated according to load. I also replaced the stock shocks with manually adjustable ones that keep the rear from excessively bobbing over freeway expansion joints when towing.

Visit my web site and look for the links to "Air Lift Springs" and "Rancho shocks". Good luck
  • smibradsmibrad Member Posts: 34
    Thanks for the advice xplorx4. I checked out your web site and it has a lot of usefull information. I really didn't want to go to the trouble of installing air springs, but I guess it is something I need to look into.
  • stillers2stillers2 Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone seen or heard anything regarding the 2003 pathfinder??? Is it being changed???
    thanx
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    An alternative to installing air springs would be to replace the rear springs with new springs with a higher spring rate so they won't compress as much when loaded, but they would cause a more pickup-truck-like ride whenever you drive solo- probably not a desirable solution...
  • austin_paustin_p Member Posts: 27
    Ok, so my saga continues.

I am trying to get my 2002 PF titled in Oregon. Oregon says I need a letter that has the vehicle description, VIN and the fact that an MSO/MCO was never issued. Nissan Canada tells me flat out no way, they won't write it. Oregon tells me they won't issue the title until I get the letter. I called Nissan US and they told me it is indeed Nissan Canada the is to write the Letter. The rep from Nissan US called Nissan Canada and they STILL won't write it.

I don't know what else to do. Oregon refuses to issue Title without it.

TIA

Bryan
  • yordanyordan Member Posts: 4
    Do someone knows if its possible to addapt an AUTO DIMMING REAR VIEW MIRROR. I found severals websites that sells the item. But im not sure, maybe someone like me wonder why Nissan Corp. never thought of this. ANY SUGGESTIONS..
    THANKS
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    I know of others who have registered their Canadian Pathfinders in Oregon before. You should have received an "NVIS" from the dealer you bought from. This is Canada's equivalent to the US "MCO". There is no reason this should not be accepted in Oregon. Talk with your dealer if you don't have it.

Another maybe easier way is for the BC dealer to register the vehicle under your name as a non-resident. Then you have a title to transfer to Oregon. I did this when I bought my Pathfinder in Ontario. Costs nothing.

Here is the Oregon web site for info on registering. There is a specific section on vehicles coming from Canada.

http://www.odot.state.or.us/dmv/Vehicles/title_list.htm#Out_of_Country_Vehicles

-Jon

Thanks Jon!

Steve
    Host
  • extagraphicextagraphic Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a new SE with popular package and sunroof package. test drove one and its nice. I drove a trailblazer which is slightly bigger but not as peppy as PF nor as nice looking. Pricing seems to be an issue is the rebate program still continuing ? someone mentioned in a post they paid for this vehicle 25,500 w/ tax that's pretty impressive. I would love to know how he did that. Also does the PF need higher octane or will it run or regular unleaded ? What kind of highway millage might I expect or flat roads.. (New Orleans here) I suspect city millage will be 12 to 15.
  • wildcorgiswildcorgis Member Posts: 84
    25,500 Wow!!. I paid close to that before tax and without a sunroof.

I only have about 5K on my 02 PF SE and I've been experimenting with regular and premium and really haven't notice much difference in mileage.
    I routinely get 17-18 (50/50 city/hwy) and about 20/21 all hwy. The only caveat is I definitely notice a power deficit with regular gas.
    I like the Trailblazer and regret not taking a closer look at it. You get ,as well as with the PF, alot for your money. The deciding factor was the quality of the materials, nicely designed inside and out, sorry Chevy---not as sleazy salespeople and most important reliability,reliability and reliability. Only "important" things I would change on my PF if I could would be premium to regular gas with same HP and just a litle larger back seat.

Happy Pathfinding!!

Steve
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    Good Morning everybody! I'm new here to the Pathfinder board, but have been posting on edmunds for about a year now. I wanted to say a few things about the Pathfinder. If I had to buy an SUV, I would buy a Pathfinder. They're very well styled, reliable, available with a manual transmission, ride great, handle well (for a truck), are bulls in the snow, they're well put together and the 3.5L VQ engine is marvelous.

I have a friend who bought a 1996 Pathfinder brand new and in 2 years put 90,000 miles on it without a single problem. In 1998 he traded in his 1996 for a 1998 Pathfinder. He had that one for a year and a half and put 60,000 miles on it with no problems. He didn't need a truck anymore and ended up buying a 2000 Maxima SE.

The year my Dad had to turn in the lease of his 1998 Eddie Bauer Explorer, the Pathfinder/QX4 was introduced with the VQ engine and he didn't even look at another truck. He ended up leasing a 2001 QX4. Since November 2000, he's put on 40,000 miles and hasn't had a single problem.

Now comes my question. I have another friend's Dad (who I reccommended the Pathfinder to) test drove a 2002 LE fully loaded (well, not fully; it doesn't have the navigation system). He drove the Pathfinder and he and his wife love it. It is a dealer demo with 5,000 miles on the clock. It stickers for $36,601. The invoice is $33,055 (according to edmunds). They're first offer was to sell the car (remember, it has 5000 miles on it) for $30,750. Do you all think he can do better then this. Thanks in advance for your help!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• shek3shek3 Member Posts: 72
    I bought a new 2001 LE for $31,600-$1500 rebate in early September(before 9/11)final cost was $30,100 with a hitch. I dont know if the prices when up drastically but I dont think $30,750 for a LE with 5000 miles on it is such a great deal. What are they selling a brand new one for?? Mike
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    I don't know to tell you the truth. I have an odd feeling the the dealership is going to try and play games by saying that "a new one will be X amount more, that's why this one with 5000 miles that has never been titled is such a great deal."

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• joef4570joef4570 Member Posts: 29
    Just brought my 01 LE in for 15,000 mile service. $349.00 plus tax! (NYC) Most expensive wiper blades and air filter I ever bought! I guess this makes up for the $20. oil change "specials" I've been getting from the dealer for the past year and a half. But, 15,000 miles and no problems so far and now at least I'm getting 21 MPG on the highway.
  • merlotpathysemerlotpathyse Member Posts: 3
    I've had my new 2002 Pathy SE for about a month. Almost bought the Honda Pilot EX, but it would have been over $10K more COMPARABLY equipped and without the rebate and 0.9% for 36 mos. Nissan offered last month. Plus the Pilot just did not impress me that much... nice but a bit too minivan-ish and judging by the Pilot owner sites, there are alot of problems. My Pathy was delivered with, and to this day has developed, ZERO defects or problems. Nada. Nuthin'! Not one flaw. I have gone over it inch by inch and cannot find anything. It is built in Oppama Japan, so maybe that has something to do with it (that was a consideration between the Pathy and Pilot for me).
    Getting to price: I always get a kick out of people who brag about how little they paid, and the rest of us are to feel like we got duped. I wonder. Here in the Orlando area, I bought a 2002 Pathy SE with the G05 pop. pkg.(auto a/c), the tow package and wiring, micro, mats, wheel locks, side moldings, and Nissan bug deflector for $25K which included $1000 rebate... I paid tax, tag and dealer fee and the total came to $27035 out the door. I put down half and financed the rest for 36 mos. at 0.9% thru NMAC. I consider that a triumph when compared to the Pilot @ $32K plus tax and dlr fees PLUS ADM and financing at a much higher rate. Not even close...and the Honda is missing all kinds of things like step rails, Roof rack, CD6, splash guards, foglites, tow pkg coolers, etc).
    Nissan is not currently running the rebate and low APR, so wait until they do. They are now running a low lease rate, though.
    Needless to say I am one happy camper! Add this to my Maxima, and my garage is packed with 2 terrific vehicles!
  • cj724cj724 Member Posts: 13
    Here is the latest on the 2003 pathfinder:

Pathfinder
    All 2003 Pathfinders will be available for optional satellite radio, with a choice of XM or Sirius services. The LE model receives standard leather-appointed interior, while SE models feature restyled wheels. Both models also feature a new 4-spoke steering wheel and electronic rear hatch window release. A new Vehicle Dynamic Control Package offers Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Traction Control System and tire pressure monitoring system. Four new exterior colors are also offered for the 2003 model year.

Enhancements to the 2003 Pathfinder include:
    · All Pathfinders come satellite radio ready
    · Standard leather-appointed seats and improved center console/C-stack appearance on LE model
    · Standard side-impact and side curtain supplemental air bags standard on LE
    · Standard LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tether for Children) system
    · Restyled four-spoke steering wheel, standard electronic rear hatch window release
    · Titanium color interior accents on SE models
    · Available Vehicle Dynamic Control Package with Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Traction Control System and tire pressure monitoring system
    · New 16-inch 6-spoke aluminum-alloy wheel design standard on SE model
    · Four new exterior colors - Crystal Blue, Burnt Copper, Sunlit Sand, Polished Pewter

The above information was found at:

http://www.nissannews.com/
  • merlotpathysemerlotpathyse Member Posts: 3
    If there was one item on my new Pathy SE I would have wanted, it would be a remote release for the rear door glass. Despite what other manufacturers say to make excuses for not including it in their SUVs, I love the opening rear window and use it ALL the time. I would not have waited for the 2003 model just for the electric release, but now I'm wondering if I will be able to retrofit the mechanism to my 2002 so it will open electrically. It took 7 years to get this item included... what took so long? Otherwise, the changes on the 2002 SE at least seem nice, as long as the price stays consistent.
  • erichochmanerichochman Member Posts: 16
    hello again pathy fans..i am still looking to buy in Canada..but i thought Nisan north america changed the policy and when i called Canada dealers 3-4 months ago, they said the same thing..has this changed? i have seen talk about buying Canada?? is the warranty honored? can you register the car in the usa? does anyone have a 100% accurate answer they can share..much appreciated and regards,

eric
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    A quick summary of what I know..... On March 4th all Canadian Infiniti dealers received a registered letter saying not to sell any more vehicles under any circumstances to US customers. Nissan dealers were told the same thing by company reps, but as far as I know they have not received a formal letter. But basically you will find it very hard to get any Nissan/Infiniti dealer in Canada to sell you a vehicle at this time for fear of fines or other retaliation. There are no manufactures left that allow dealers to do new-vehicle cross-border sales as far as I know.

At the same time Nissan started a new policy of not honoring the warranty in the US. Previously you just called them and transferred it to the US. Now if you want warranty service you go back to Canada.

The importing and registering process has not changed at all. Nissan has always provided the complicance letter to make crossing the border a breeze and I've not heard that this has changed. Registering is usually a simple process at your DMV (unless you run into a clueless clerk like the Oregon note above).

So what's the bottom line? If you can find a dealer willing to sell a vehicle to you (like 60 of us did before the change) then you will still save a few thousand dollars. But you will no longer get a US warranty.

If you can't get a dealer to sell to you, there are many other ways by using brokers and registered importers, but it's a little more work and you save less because they all want some profit.

-Jon
  • mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    Nissan's new product onslaught continues in the 2003 model year with the introduction of the all-new 350Z sports car and Murano crossover sport utility. The Z® arrives in August 2002, while the Murano is scheduled to arrive at 1,100 Nissan dealers nationwide in November 2002.

"Nissan is starting an unprecedented progression of new products in the United States, including a pulse-quickening 350Z two-seat sports car and the Murano, a crossover blending great performance with great versatility," said Jed Connelly, senior vice president, sales and marketing, Nissan North America, Inc. "We have more on-deck which we know will appeal to a growing number of car and truck shoppers."

Other 2003 highlights include a new Maxima SE Titanium Edition Package, the addition of the Frontier Open Sky model with a power-operated retractable top, 10 additional horsepower for Frontier and Xterra V6 models, and available satellite radio for all Pathfinder models.

Pathfinder
    All 2003 Pathfinders will be available for optional satellite radio, with a choice of XM or Sirius services. The LE model receives standard leather-appointed interior, while SE models feature restyled wheels. Both models also feature a new 4-spoke steering wheel and electronic rear hatch window release. A new Vehicle Dynamic Control Package offers Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Traction Control System and tire pressure monitoring system. Four new exterior colors are also offered for the 2003 model year.

Enhancements to the 2003 Pathfinder include:
    · All Pathfinders come satellite radio ready
    · Standard leather-appointed seats and improved center console/C-stack appearance on LE model
    · Standard side-impact and side curtain supplemental air bags standard on LE
    · Standard LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tether for Children) system
    · Restyled four-spoke steering wheel, standard electronic rear hatch window release
    · Titanium color interior accents on SE models
    · Available Vehicle Dynamic Control Package with Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Traction Control System and tire pressure monitoring system
    · New 16-inch 6-spoke aluminum-alloy wheel design standard on SE model
    · Four new exterior colors - Crystal Blue, Burnt Copper, Sunlit Sand, Polished Pewter

2003 and Beyond

· Nissan will also introduce an all-new, full-size sport utility vehicle in fall 2003

Does anyone have any more info on this new full-size SUV from Nissan?? I WANT ONE!
  • haironghairong Member Posts: 153
    AFAIK, this will be a V8-powered truck based SUV. The V8 is a variation of the 4.5L Q45 engine. Funny thing is Nissan developed a pickup and a SUV on the same platform (like everybody else) at the same time, but unlike everybody else, they want to introduce the SUV to the market first. Maybe they also think the SUV boom is coming to an end, and they want to get a foot hold before the party is over. There were some art sketches on the web a year or two ago, the SUV looked pretty marcho.
  • erichochmanerichochman Member Posts: 16
    but thanks again for your info!
    It sounds like Nissan (Renault) is turning around their financial problems faster than predicted too. That should help encourage new model launches and other innovations, like this eye opener.

Steve
    Host
  • pondfull5pondfull5 Member Posts: 53
    Nice to hear from you.

I guess, we are the Lucky few who took advantage of the Canadian deal back then.

full5.
  • georgedegeorgede Member Posts: 40
    Greetings:

My 2002 Pathfinder LE just passed 2000 miles without any problems. So far I am loving every bit of this truck. I have been following this post for awhile, and it looks like the consensus is for High Test gas. So far, I have been averaging 17 miles per gallon on REGULAR gas (mixed driving) without any loss of power or performance. It seems that most people here are using high test, and getting the same exact mileage. The book says 87 but recommends 93. Not sure what that means?? I can understand if I use the truck for towing, then I would also use high test, but under normal driving,(in Florida with flat roads) it seems a waste of money to use High test. Can anyone tell me what better performance means?? (better gas mileage??) If the engine would knock or I noticed loss in power, I will be the first one to switch, but so far I can't see spending the extra money. Any comments??
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    so I use premium. I am not going to risk invalidating the warranty.
  • georgedegeorgede Member Posts: 40
    bigorange30... My manual says 87 but recommends higher. Anyway, I don't think the warranty can be invalidated on use of regular gas..
    "Use unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number 96).

If unleaded premium gasoline is not available, unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI (Research Octane number 91) can be used.

However, for maximum performance, the use of unleaded premium gasoline is recommended."

I don't see this as an endorsement of regular at all. I do think the manufacturer may not honor the warranty if they find alot of soot and buildup in the engine thought to be attributed to low octane fuel and they could verify that premium was available in my area. Don't you think they will find any reason they can not to pay for a $10,000 engine? Are you really going to spend $30,000 on a vehicle and then quibble over a few pennies in gas cost? Now, after the warranty is up, I may consider making a change. However, they put it in there for a reason. They don't just make those things up. What is that reason?
  • brisoupbrisoup Member Posts: 56
    I have a 2002 LE and I have used both Regular and premium fuel.Fuel milage does stay the same either way at 15 MPG.But the engine seems to run smoother and has a little more pep when I run premium in it.So that's what I put in it from now on.If I didn't buy it and only leased it I would problably put regular in it. The engines in the 2001+ Pathfinder is considered a high performance engine, just like a Mercedes or BMW. And both of these makes also suggest premium fuel. Just my two cents. BTW- 17 MPG is very good fuel milage for a Pathfinder in mixed driving.
  • laddy99laddy99 Member Posts: 3
    I'm the proud owner of a new Pathfinder and have a question. When I turn the vehicle off sometimes it jumps just a bit after the ignition is disengaged. Most of the time it is very smooth but once in a while it does this. Is this normal for an auto transmission? Thanks.
    I am told that it is normal and is the coupling disengaging.
    My Pathfinder will also lurch slightly when it it shut off.But only when It is in 4x4 auto or 4x4 high.To decrease wear to the 4x4 system I leave it in 2 wheel drive when the roads are dry.
    Hi again. I have a 2002 Pathfinder LE.I love the truck except for when I drive with the windows down I can hear the front brakes chirping when coming to a stop.I know it problably not a big deal but is there a fix for this or is this the way the brakes are?I'm not going to make a special trip to the dealer for this but I may bring it up at it's first service. Any imput would be appreciated. Thanx
  • johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    I'm trying to sell my QX4. I've put classified ads in both major newspapers in my area (Twin Cities, MN), an ad on cars.com, and an ad on CarSoup.com. Does anyone have some other ideas for me? I just purchased a house, so I can no longer afford the vehicle.
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    My husband and I are anxiously awaiting to purchase a 2003 LE 2WD, when they arrive at the dealership, that is. He currently drives a '93 XE V6 Path that he purchased new. He has loved it from day one. It still runs great, and the AC still works! But after 9 years, he is ready for an updated version. I myself, drive a 2000 Maxima SE - love it! My 3rd Maxima, by the way. I wanted to tell you that we gave the Toyota 4Runner SR5 and the SR5 Sport Edition chance after chance to win us over from the Pathfinder. NO WAY!! For only $200!!! (two hundred!!) more than the 4Runner Sport Edition, the Pathfinder LE won hands down! As soon as we sat down in the LE, we knew it was the one. The 4Runner had NO leather, basic ac, no digital, a basic stereo, a sloppy ride and handling, I felt I could flip if I turned too sharp, a very tight back seat, no moon roof, just an all around basic truck with very handsome looks, and only 183 hp. The Path LE had EVERYTHING. A comfy, stable ride, power (240 hp) luxurious leather, and digital temps for inside and out. 6 CD changer, although, I can only listen to 1 at a time, a bit larger back seat, moon roof, quality, and looks. We were extremely amazed at the difference in the 2 vehicles. Needless to say our research has really paid off. The 4Runner had one thing to offer...good looks. The Path had the best of all worlds, Looks, Quality & Quantity. We can hardly wait until the 2003's arrive. Anyone know when???
  • baddestbob2baddestbob2 Member Posts: 1
    TA while back I took my 01 SE in for tire rotation at a company owned Firestone Store. Later, while washing I noticed scratch marks on all of the plastic wheel hub covers. Obviously mech had failed to remove them when removing lug nuts.. Manager reluctantly concurred and after trying to locate replacements used agreed to pay for new ones, about $140 for the set. Was not a greenhorn mechanic either, an old timer who apparently just didn't give a you know what. Moral; inspect uour vehicle after any service, valet parking, etc.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    Hmmmm, do you live in Denver? Ha. Two years ago right after I bought our '01 SE, I took it for free tire rotation (firestone shop as well) on its "crapstone deulers" They did the same exact thing. I also got on their cases till they bought me new ones. Now I just spend 30 seconds, and yank them off before it goes in for any kind of tire service at all. The peace of mind is worth the little hassle.
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    for a really good answer, go here: Octane

In short, the higher the octane, the higher the pressure has to be before the gas spontaneously ignites. The PF has a "high compression" engine, and using low-octane gas could cause the fuel/air mixture to ignite before the spark plug fires. This causes loss of power and/or economy.

The web site does a much better job of explaining it, but beware, it can be addictive! :)

-Dave

• smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey BRISOUP... just reading your post. You mentioned you leave it in 2wd on dry roads to decrease wear on the 4wd system. You're really taking away a great attribute of this vehicle by doing this. The 4wd system will not be damaged or incur any wear when Auto-4wd is selected because it's still 2wd until the rear wheels slip. And I doubt you'll have time to shift into 4wd if you get into a bad situation. There's a reason the Porsche 911 Turbo & many other performance cars are AWD & it's not for wet roads. Just my 2 cents...
  • battmanbattman Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a new 02 PF SE. My only experience is driving a rental PF 02 SE over the road for a few days. Liked the total package but have heard neg comments about back seat comfort/room and rear suspension sag w/ loaded back end. Also considering new Explorers. Any comments on comparison of two. Would anybody have waited for new 03 instead?

Has anybody purchased a new 02 PF SE within the last few months in SW OH or NKY? Considering adding the Pop and Sunroof packages.
    Smokey, I think you are missing my point on why I leave my 4 wheel drive system in 2WD on dry roads.When you are in 4wd auto and you turn the truck off you can feel the truck lurch slightly forward.This tells me something in the 4WD system is engaging.Other post on this discussion has reported the same lurching when in 4 auto.When the roads are wet or become wet, Example: when it first starts to rain or snow,I then put it in 4 auto.I do not drive my truck like a sports car so I should have ample time to engage the 4WD system when the roads turn poor due to weather conditions.
  • bigchillinbigchillin Member Posts: 4
    I just checked the U.S nissan website (www.nissandriven.com) and saw that you can recline the FRONT seats all the way back. By doing this you can sit in the back seat and recline in a lounge chair fashion. I have 2002 model but I don't think it is possible. Is this something only available on later year 2002 models or is it just on U.S models. My 2002 LE was purchased in Canada.
    The front seats do go to 180 deg. flat. They are automatic. I don't know if that has something to do with it or not but I was impressed with how far they went down.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    Ours in our '01 SE do as well. You have to pull the headrests out, then slide them all the way fwd.

It made a vicious/stormy wet night 12hrs back into the UT backcountry halfway enjoyable. ;-)
    gritz
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Can anyone tell me what is a fair price to pay for a 7/100k mile warranty?

TIA
    $954 if you bought the 4X4 and it was brand new when you bought the extended warranty. This came from:

http://www.warrantygold.com/index.asp

would you want to buy an extended warranty. The Pathfinder will probably never be in the shop. Extended warranties are more useful and much less reliable vehicles like the Jeep Grand Cherokee or many other Chrysler products.
  • jflashjflash Member Posts: 45
    As I review the board archives, I was struck by the large number of posts regarding the recommended fuel octane rating for the late-model 3.5 Pathfinder. Though the manual states that this engine runs best on fuel of 91 octane, my dealer assured me that mid-grade would be fine. I see that many Pathfinder owners use the 89-octane fuel in order to save money and report that, despite some performance loss, their vehicles seem to run okay. After pondering the situation, I did some simple math. Please note that the assumptions used are my own and that yours may differ. In my area, 93 octane fuel sells for only $.04/gallon more than midgrade, but AAA says that the Texas average is $.08, so I’ll use that number. For the first 22,000 miles of its life, my SE 4X2 has averaged 17.2 mpg. I buy new and never keep a vehicle longer than the powertrain warranty, so I’ll keep this little jewel a little over 5 years, or 60,000 miles. Do the math, and you’ll see that the total cost for using fuel on which the engine was designed to run most efficiently is $279. Please note that I am assuming identical mileage on each grade, even though on a 4-tank test I observed that 93-octane fuel delivered slightly better economy (0.2 mpg) and noticeable better performance than did the mid-grade. Since I paid around $30k for the vehicle in the first place, $279 seems like a pittance to pay to enjoy optimal performance.