Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• brisoupbrisoup Member Posts: 56
    Hi,
    I have a 2002 LE. I was thinking about installing a K&N airfilter mainly to improve fuel milage (I'm satisfied with the trucks overall acceleration). Has anyone installed a K&N filter on the 2001+ Pathfinder?Has there been any noticeable increase in fuel milege? Any input would be helpful. BTW- I've been getting 13.5 MPG city & 17.8 MPG HWY.
  • pfwunpfwun Member Posts: 9
    Hi everyone,
    Almost didn't make it to work the last 3 mornings. I have a problem starting my car. Put key in ignition. Turn, and the engine does nothing but after 5 secs it fights to start. After 7 secs it eventually kicks in and starts. After I drive it to work I test it out again and it starts up nice and smooth. As if I just bought it off the lot. Forgot to mention that the dashboard, dome, radio, and headlights are in working order before I actually turn the ignition on.
    Problem only occurs when the car sits for a long period of time. Only two things come to mind. The battery and the starter. I found the warranty limitations on the battery but I was curious if the starter is covered? I called many dealerships in the md area to set up an appointment and they are booked till next week. Just want to ask you all for advice before the dealerships pull one on me. Is the starter covered under warranty? Anything I can do in the meantime before I see the mechanic? Thank You all for your help.

chris

2001 pathfinder LE
    34,000 miles
    1 year and 6 months
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    I installed one last month in my QX4. Here is what I posted on the K&N Filter thread and the responses I got.

bigorange30 "K&N Air Filters, bolt-on power?" Jul 25, 2002 10:26am
  • pdown77pdown77 Member Posts: 6
    I am considering buying 1999 4wd PF LE, price 18,999.00 I feel a vibration coming from the steering wheel. I have been reading the comments at this site and was wondering if this is an isolated problem or more owners have had the same problem? I don't know if I could live with the content shimmy. I would like to feel the problem could be fix and done with.
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    It is a frequent problem that can be fixed with proper balancing. In three years, I never experienced with my 2000 SE ...
  • cubster1cubster1 Member Posts: 11
    I need some help from the old school crowd. Is the 01-03 motor really worth the hype? My wife and I are looking at buying a Pathy but can't afford the newer models. We like the 96-99.5 body style fine but everyone I talk to says they're way underpowered. I only tow a trailer for furniture and the Home Depot runs on the weekends, so is it worth the extra money? Thanks for the help.
  • brisoupbrisoup Member Posts: 56
    After reading the post on the K&N airfilter I've decided to leave the original filter on. The very minimal increase in fuel milage does not justify buying a $45.00 airfilter. When it comes time to replace the airfilter I will buy a high quality over the counter airfilter. Thanks for your advice..
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    That's a choice you should make. No one can tell you how satisfied you would be driving the 3.3L compared to the 3.5L. The 3.3L tows just fine. I've used it to tow a u-haul trailer for moving and for towing my boat just fine. Sure, it's not a rocket, but it does the job.

My advice to you would be to test drive a new one, then test drive an old one and make your evaluation based on your personal experience. It's your money after all.
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    I'm with xplorx4 on this one. I tow a 4,500 lb boat with my 3.3L with no problems. I just have to take my time, lock out overdrive, and keep the motor under 3500 RPMs (that's more for comfort sake than anything else). I'm running about 65 mph at that speed.

I will say this, though. If you can't afford the newer model, then don't drive the newer model. Why torture yourself like that? If you can find a 3.3L that you'll be happy with, get it.

Personally, I plan to drive my 99.5 into the ground. I've got 52,000 trouble free miles, so I've got a long way to go.
  • jflashjflash Member Posts: 45
    If you can't afford the late-model 3.5, then the question is moot. Assuming that you are actually trying to decide, then by all means you should drive both and compare for yourself. I have owned each. Though my 3.3 was rock-solid and a fine engine, I felt that the truck was just grunt-slow. Of course, I'm an old hot-rodder from way back and just am not satisfied with a vehicle that can't get to 60 mph in under 10 seconds. I absolutely love my 2002 SE 3.5. It has great acceleration and towing power and is simply in another league from the 3.3.
  • mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    I went out to get something at the store just now, and putting my
    Pathfinder into reverse to pull out of the driveway....

Foot on brake.. Parking Break released, depress button pull into reverse.

I wait a second, I feel it 'engage' into reverse by a loud noise and a THUMP
    by the car...

I don't think that's normal, eh?

It has 2600 miles on it.....
  • lancearmstronglancearmstrong Member Posts: 38
    Pdown77-

I wouldn't buy it unless and until the seller fixes it. The seller may have tried to fix it and couldn't, that's why it's for sale now. Who tries to sell a vehicle that's shaking like a leaf without trying to remedy the problem?

Based upon the commentaries I've read, some folks have an easy time ridding themselves of the shimmy, others try everything to no avail. Why run the risk of a chronic vibration in your new (to you) Pathfinder?
  • wildcorgiswildcorgis Member Posts: 84
    I sometimes have that happen too. Very intermittently. Maybe when the engine is idling real fast , the transmission then engages and it makes kind of a lurch? Doesn't happen enough to bother me but I make sure my foot is firmly on the brake when I shift.

Happy Pathfinding!!!

Steve
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    I have a PDF copy of the Nissan service bulletin pertaining to the shimmy. If you want a copy, e-mail me at smithmdsmith@yahoo.com and I'll be happy to reply with a copy.

My shimmy appeared on my '99.5 4x4 with about 18k miles. Nissan service went through the TSB and finally fixed my shimmy with the fancy balance machine mentioned in the bulletin.

The shimmy returned when I bought new tires at about 25k miles and was easily remedied with the same balance machine.

At 52k, the shimmy has not returned. I'm sure that when I replace these tires in 10 or 15k, I'll have to have them balanced on that same machine.
  • tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    QUOTE - "The Pathfinder will probably never be in the shop. Extended warranties are more useful and much less reliable vehicles like the Jeep Grand Cherokee..." - BigOrange30

BO30, HOW can you possibly make such a ridiculous and unfounded claim that "The Pathfinder will probably never be in the shop"?? (and that Jeeps "will"). You obviously have not read through any the posts in this forum to see that the Pathfinder does indeed have plenty of problems. If you need me to make a list of them I'd be glad to do that. Your own vehicle has already been in the shop, what, twice now? And you also know about the long list of TSB's for prior model Pathfinders. So since YOU bought the 2002 PF, NOW all of a sudden they will be 100.00% reliable?

*IF* Nissan HAD the confidence in their products, they would offer a FREE extended warranty, just like Jeep does for their new models (7 Years/100K!!). But Nissan KNOWS that their Pathfinders WILL be in the repair shop in the future, hence the $1000+ charge for the extended warranty.

While the PF is a reasonably reliable vehicle and no doubt many will not see a shop for some years to come, on the other side there will be plenty that will indeed be in the shop in the future, that you can count on.
    Basic warranties are mainly for something that may be well designed but may not have been put together properly in the factory that made the part or the factory that assembled the car. The problems will likely happen once and be fixed permanently one time. An extended warranty, on the other hand, is for protecting you against poor designs that repeatedly fail. A person often sells this vehicle before the warranty runs out because they know there will be signicant problems later.

While no vehicle is problem free, the Pathfinder or QX4 will not be in the shop for $1000 worth of repairs during its first 100,000 miles that would justify the extended warranty. What do other people think?

Yes, my QX4 has been back once to replace the door welts. They were probably put on wrong at the factory. That was a very minor problem, IMO. It does not involve any moving or critical part.
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    I have noticed that several Nissan Dealerships have already received the '03 models, but there are no pictures available. Are they hiding these vehicles? Does any one know where I can see a picture of the '03 with possibly the new colors?
  • jecklesjeckles Member Posts: 87
    Most extended warranties for appliances and cars alike are intended to make money for dealers not protect owners from financial disaster.

There are some vehicles that need them, but most don't. Check out consumer reports....not this board for the truth about extended warranties and long term reliability...
    I purchased an extended warranty for my truck. What a waste of money. Naturally, I failed to read the fine print on the back of the warranty form when I bought it; I just "trusted" the dealer.

Lo and behold, when I attempted to take advantage of the warranty when the struts on my truck started leaking at 50,000 miles, I was told that the warranty doesn't cover that. It only covers the struts if they "snapped in half". HA! What a crock!

A couple of months ago, my "check engine" light came on. Turns out the "EVAP canister" was bad. Covered? NOPE. It's a "wear item", just like brakes, spark plugs, and oil filters, I guess.

As for the need for an extended warranty, I'd probably never buy another one. Nearly all warranty-covered repairs are going to occur within the basic (3/36; 5/60) coverage anyway.

And I'd have to say that beyond the standard warranties, the likelihood of a $1000 repair occuring will be very small. And even if you could make a warranty claim on a repair that might normally cost $300, you'd need THREE such claims just to recover the cost of the warranty itself.

So if you DO get a warranty, make sure you read the entire document and FULLY UNDERSTAND the limitations before you commit.

Bottom line, I'd have to agree with jeckles and bigorange30.

NOTE: I can only offer experience with my Nissan; I'm not so certain that I would not need an extended warranty on a domestic vehicle. My truck will probably reach 100,000 miles next month, and I have yet to spend $1000 on unplanned maintenance that would be covered under any warranty (beyond the 3/36;5/60).
    I will certainly agree that for the most part extended warranties are a total rip-off. First of all, when you buy one of the extended warranties they don't even kick in until after the manufacturer's warranty ends - that could be 3-4 years or longer. And when you add the total to the total amount financed you are in many cases paying interest on the warranty cost as well. What many buyers don't realize is that for a lot of these extended warranties, IF you want one, you do NOT have to purchase it at the time you purchase your vehicle. Most dealers want you to think that, but in the past I have asked point-blank if I could pay for it "later" and the answer is usually "yes", as long as you by it before the factory warranty runs out.

And as xplorx4 noted, study the limitations if you feel you have to have an extended warranty. And even then you may run into hassles if the problem lies in a "gray" area. Plus, some warranties are transferable if you sell the vehicle while others are not.

And remember that dealers can be very negotiable on these since they are mostly pure profit. Usually the last person you see in the purchase process (in the "Finance/paperwork" office) is heavily commissioned and will twist your arm very hard to try and sell you one of these (along with undercoating and fabric guard "protection").
    with tloke1's reversal. First he chews me out for recommending that someone not buy an extended warranty and now he is against them. What gives here?
    I think tloke1 was commenting on your statement that basically said something like 'Nissans won't be in the shop [for warranty repairs] and Jeeps will be; therefore Nissans don't need extended warranties and Jeeps do."

If you compare the 5/60 powertrain warranty on the PF with the 7/100 on the JGC, you could make either of two conclusions:
    1) Jeeps don't need an extended warranty because they're covered by the basic warranty, which is the same term as Nissan's extended. Seems like a pretty good deal, since the Nissan ext. warranty costs $1000.
    2) Jeeps need the extended warranty because they're more likely to break down between 5/60 and 7/100 than the Pathfinder, which, if hasn't broken down before 60K, won't break down within 100K. So Nissan need not include it for free, and dealers are free to "sell" ext. warranties and make pure profit.

Blah. Whatever. This is nonsense anyway....
    QUOTE from BigOrange30: "First he chews me out for recommending that someone not buy an extended warranty"

Say what?? Please explain, WHERE did I say this? Where did I "chew you out for not recommending an extended warranty"?

QUOTE from BigOrange30: "and now he is against them. What gives here?"

??? What reversal??? I have NEVER been FOR extended warranties. You must be confusing my posts with someone else's.
    I tend to disagree with the statements made here that IF a Pathfinder has no major problems up until 60k then they will be problem-free until 100k or beyond. Hogwash. Just look at the long, long list of TSB's on PF's from a few years back. Hardly a "perfectly reliable vehicle".

For anyone out there buying a new SUV and looking at either a 2002 or newer Jeep, or a 2002 or newer Pathfinder (and other vehicles too), your chances are just the same that one or the other will or will not have problems.
    I will still contend that a Nissan is more reliable between 60K and 100K than a Jeep, Ford, Dodge, or GM is. It is my belief that if there's an issue with the Nissan powertrain (assuming proper maintenance), it will surface within the powertrain warranty, and not likely soon after the 5/60 expires. I'm not so certain that domestic vehicles can make the same claims. Note I did not say "problem-free", nor did I claim the Pathfinder is "perfectly reliable". My point relates to items that would be covered under an extended warranty; I would say that the Pathfinder is more "relatively reliable" than a domestic vehicle. This is not a blanket statement, however. It's a generalization, but I still think the probability of failures that would benefit from an extended warranty is lower with a Nissan, not "just the same" as you contend.

tloke1- Please point us to some TSB's that are directly connected to issues that occur to high-mileage (60K+) Pathfinders, not NEW ones, which would still be covered by the 3/36 bumper-to-bumper.

Also, compare the number of recalls that Nissan has had to do for the Pathfinder, Xterra, and Frontier compared to the recalls that GM has had to do for much of their vehicles over the past 6 years. I don't know the stats for sure, but I see lots of headlines about "GM recalls [hundreds of thousands of] vehicles..." but not too many about Nissan, Honda, or Toyota.

By the way, tloke1, do you by any chance own a Jeep, not a Nissan?
    If that list is true, it has no correlation to the # of problems the Pathfinder/QX4 has. I don't see many owners on here at all that have any significant problems whatsoever. The JGC problems board is full of people though reporting on 1-3 problems/day. I have too many friends that have problems with them also to think that its not true.

I'll take #2 under xplorx4's possible conclusions.

Anyone here think that the Pathfinder is loaded with problems like tloke seems to think?

Yes, xplorx4, tloke does own a JGC.
    I tend to disagree with the statements made here that IF a Pathfinder has no major problems up until 60k then they will be problem-free until 100k or beyond. Hogwash. Just look at the long, long list of TSB's on PF's from a few years back. Hardly a "perfectly reliable vehicle".

For anyone out there buying a new SUV and looking at either a 2002 or newer Jeep, or a 2002 or newer Pathfinder (and other vehicles too), your chances are just the same that one or the other will or will not have problems.
    This warranty and reliability stuff is rediculous!

Please check consumer reports or some other reliable source of information. This board is more anecdotatal than a compilation of Facts!!

Here are some facts:

TSBs are not an inication of reliability

Jeeps do have a reliability problem

The Jeep 7/100 powertrain warranty covers internally lubricated parts and complete failure is required before warranty kicks in... It is not an extended warranty by any stretch!!

Extended warranties are designed to make huge profit for dealers. So odds are your average repair costs will be less than extended warranty price (otherwise dealer loses money!). The odds are definitely in your favor, otherwise price would be higher or dealer wouldn't offer extended warranty. I've almost bought extended warranty many times, but usually come to my senses...

Rumors:
    I have relatives that have gotten lots of miles out of their Jeep product (w/o warranty)

I have friends that would never purchase another chryler product because of transmission problems.

I have other friends that have "worn out" several transmissions and differentials in very few miles.

I am not aware of very many Nissan transmission failures.

Most PF problems on this board are not reliability issues. They are nit-picky in most cases... hence very hard to fix (vibration, noise, shifting, etc. - myself included) Very few problems actually render the car imobile. The exhaust manifold issue is the exception (for older PF). The same cannot be said for Jeep products, which is why I did not purchase one. I love the styling and comfort of the JGC, but alas cannot tolerate the poor reliability.

All that said, car (or truck) buying is quite personal and emotional. Buy what you like, but make an informed choice. Understand the maintenance and reliability issues of each model (they are often quite different). There is nothing wrong with buying something that needs lots of work, if you are prepared to do the work (like a Jag)

That is all I will say on the subject.
  • lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    My "Check Engine" light is on after not tightening my gas cap. I tried disconnecting the battery overnight but it is still on. Any hints on how to get it to clear?
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    Just keep on drivin'. If it was only the cap, it'll reset itself I believe.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    not to kick a dead horse, but we had a Cherokee, keyword here is had. I grew up around Jeeps and everyone else in my family has one currently.

They were great when new, but as the old odometer ticked away, it became more costly and unenjoyable to drive. That being said, I believe the 4.0 inline six they produce is bombproof, it's just the vehicles and tranny's they drop it onto are sub par when compared to some other vehicle manufacturers.

Whether it be wind-noise, rattles, handling, fit and finish, comfort, or any other number of issues, Our Pathy SPANKS our former, (and every other Jeep I have ever seen) in nearly every category.

With nearly 50k on it, I have had exactly 0 problems with the Nissan, Not one, not even a rattle. By 50k the Jeep was annoying as hell, not to mention the costs associated with it after 130k (master computer, 2 injectors, 2 fuel pumps, Auto tranny etc...)

thanks Jeep, you gave me the impetus to buy a better made car, and it's been worth every mile!
    Jeckles, your post is filled with so many inaccuracies and unfounded claims I won't even begin to waste my time to address them. I guess you are an expert since you read one or two issues of Consumer Reports. TSB's most certainly can provide an insight into the reliabilty of a given vehicle. They do not give the whole story of course, but TSB's, since you do not understand what they are, address, in part, what are known as "problems" in vehicles.

I'll say it again, for those of you PF owners who think the reliability is so great on your vehicles - go to AllData.com and look over the list of TSB's for the PF. Go back a few years, say 1998, and look there and at the years after. You'll find so many problems they are hard to count. And in some cases the PF problems exceed Jeeps for given years. So don't come on here and brag about how "reliable" the PF's are - they have their share of problems JUST LIKE every other manufacturer. And PF owners WILL be visiting the repair shops many times in the future, JUST LIKE everyone else.
  • kmrqkmrq Member Posts: 50
    Who cares what expert or data says. If you feel reliable in car that you drive then keep it and be proud of it. Don't go around and tease other car owners because they don't own same cars as you. Come on guys... we're not kids. And if you are looking for a new car or a used car and need advice if the car that you're looking for has good reliability than go look at the data to get some idea of how the car is. Also, if you wanna ask the owners of the car you are interested, then ask them what problems they had. Don't go around asking if Jeep or Nissan has better reliability cars.
    tloke is using his standard of a vehicle that breaks down alot and thinks that every vehicle probably does that. The 2000 JGC (the latest model available) shows 55 TSB's on his Alldata site. 24 of them were engine or mechanical related, 8 were safety and 10 were convenience or comfort items.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/04/000418EQ.html

On the other hand the 2001 QX4/Pathfinder had a total of 31/36 TSB's.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/76/01760111.html

Only 5 of them were engine or mechanical related (1/5 of the JGC), 1 was safety and 2 were comfort or convenience. All of the remaining were procedural improvements, new diagnostic tools or software updates to save the Nissan service shop time or money. This disproves tloke's point about TSBs being related to vehicle problems. Nissan is in pursuit of excellent where Chrysler is in pursuit of keeping their vehicles on the road.

tloke: when are you going to provide us with real data that proves the Pathfinder is unreliable and the JGC isn't. Those of us who drive the Pathfinder/QX4 know its just not true.

• phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    When I was looking into PF vs JGC 2 years ago, I used the Consumer Report and Lemon Aid guides to better understand what I was getting into. Both indicated that the PF was not only historically considerably more reliable, but had a higher predicted reliability. When I read through the TSBs, I also found what bigorange30 mentions...very few of them relate to major powertrain or electrical/mechanical issues. Most of them are related to new or updated diagnostic info.

As it turns out, my 2 years of ownership of this 2001 LE have been free of any major issues (as was my previous year with my 1999.5 PF LE).
    BigOrange, you need to compare fairly here. You picked the 2001 Nissan (with a much lower amount of TSBs than 2000), yet compared it to the 2000 GC. And no, the 2000 GC is NOT "the latest model available" - there are indeed listings for 2001 and 2002.

You need to go back and select the 2000 Nissan and break out the 85 TSB's listed, instead of the 36 listed for 2001.

I have never claimed that the Pathfinder is "unreliable" as you state, I am ONLY claiming that the Jeep reliability has IMPROVED the past couple of years to bring it above most other SUV manufacturers, AND that Nissan, like ALL other brands, has their share of problems too. Plus, the Nissans have a lot of irritating problems that the Jeeps do not have like fit and finish, rattles, wind noise and the like.

BigOrange is claiming that Nissan's will NEVER see the repair shop, and that ALL Jeeps will. I am simply stating the truth, that Nissans have their share of problems and some WILL be in the shops. I have owned a Jeep for over two years now without a single problem whatsoever. Fit and finish are perfect, no rattles, squeaks, leaks, nothing whatsoever.

BigOrange is unfairly informing potential buyers that if they buy a new Jeep they will all have problems. I am just trying to defend that inaccurate claim as it is just not true. 2001 and 2002 Jeeps have been remarkably reliable. Let's quite using 1999 data, we ALL know that Jeep had major problems that year.

And as I stated, go look at all of the TSB's for Nissan PF's for 1998, 1999, 2000 and you will see TONS of problems!!! YES, PF's are reliable for the most part, but they DO have their share of problems and they are NOT PERFECT as BigOrange would like everyone to believe.
    Therefore you can't use the 2000's as representative of what the vehicle has today.

OK, I do now see the 2001 and 2002 JGCs. Again I see that if you compare the 2002 JGC to the 2002 PF/QX4, I see that the JGC has 8 Safety/Engine/Mechanical TSBs and the PF has ZERO. 8 is huge for a 2002 model.

I NEVER said the PF was perfect. I believe I quoted that the 2001 has 5 problem TSBs. It is just in a different league than the bush league that the JGC plays in.
    BigOrange30, I predict in a couple of years you will get tired of your QX4 and trade it in on one of the new 2004 or 2005 Grand Cherokees. Don't get me wrong, I think the QX4 is a decent vehicle, I just think the GC offers a lot more in terms of style & looks, comfort, speed, drivability, innovative options and so on. Ya gotta give Jeep credit though for the recent dramatic improvements. Now that they have fixed most of the reliability problems, I predict the GC will be among the top rated SUV vehicles within the next couple of years. As for some other U.S. brands, I think Ford and GM are heading downhill very fast. Especially Ford, it's one problem after another after another...

The bottom line here is that you are happy with your problem-free QX4, and I am happy with my problem-free GC. What more could we ask for?
    that I will get a JGC. The 8 TSBs for the 2002 will be 24 in 2 years. Its a simple concept, as parts get older, they break more. I see no improvements in the JGC quality. Good grief, a person that buys a brand new JGC today has to turn around and take it back with 0 miles on it and get 8 things fixed if they don't want to get stranded on the road somewhere. Why is that acceptable?

BTW: Why are you attacking me when xplorx4 and jeckles are agreeing with what I said? Its beginning to look personal.
    994 Recall - Instrument Cluster Reprogramming - I don't know what that is but they call it a SAFETY RECALL, that's enough for me.

14-001-02 Fuel Cap - Difficult to Remove - You're out somewhere with the gas tank on empty and you can't get the cap off. You're stranded and your wife has to come and get you.

23-015-02 Outside Rearview Mirror - Glass Replacement - It may not strand you but I sure wouldn't drive it very far without a rearview mirror. Some people do but I would not.

19-008-01 Steering Wheel - Popping/Ticking sound - You're certainly stranded if you suddenly can't control the steering, it might even cause a wreck.

14-006-01 Fuel Tank - Premature Fueling Nozzle Shut Off - You can't drive without fuel

08-017-01 Safety Systems - Vehicle modifications/repair - Who know what that is but it sounds serious enough.

25-001-02 EVAP System - MIL ON/DTC P0442/P0455/P0456 Set - I am not sure what that is. Can you explain that one?

21-006-01 A/T - Fluid Usage - If the fluid level is not checked frequently and is allowed to run dry, you will get stranded.

And the QX4 TSB you refer to 02-011 is a diagnostic tool for the service shop. Now you're not being fair including that one. That leaves the QX4 with ZERO.

Do you even read the sources you quote?
    Hi guys, I thought this discussion was originally about extended warranties... specifically the Nissan extended warranty. Clearly the discussion has followed a rabbit trail long enough, don't you think?

Ahhh! Doesn't that feel better?

bigO- you have a PF. You like it. Cool! We're happy for you.
    tloke- you have a JGC. You like it. Cool! We're happy for you, too!
    Good thing there are lots of different vehicles to choose from. It sure would suck if it were like the old days- "You can have any color of Model-T that you want, as long as it's black"

;)

Now that we've covered TSB's, JGC's, and PF's, what's next on the agenda?
    BigOrange30, I hope you never work on your own vehicle (or anyone else's) as you seem to not be able to even comprehend simple TSB's...

994 Recall - Instrument Cluster Reprogramming - I don't know what that is but they call it a SAFETY RECALL, that's enough for me.

A SIMPLE PROGRAMMING ADJUSTMENT, NOTHING THAT WOULD STRAND YOU.

14-001-02 Fuel Cap - Difficult to Remove - You're out somewhere with the gas tank on empty and you can't get the cap off. You're stranded and your wife has to come and get you.

READ IT AGAIN, DOES IT SAY "CANNOT REMOVE" OR "DIFFICULT TO REMOVE"? NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE HAVING THIS PROBLEM.

23-015-02 Outside Rearview Mirror - Glass Replacement - It may not strand you but I sure wouldn't drive it very far without a rearview mirror. Some people do but I would not.

OH, C'MON, ARE YOU THAT INEPT TO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS? THIS BULLETIN EXPLAINS HOW TO REPLACE THE GLASS IF IT IS EVER BROKEN!! IT USED TO BE ONE WOULD HAVE TO PURCHASE THE ENTIRE MIRROR ASSEMBLY IF THE GLASS WAS BROKEN, NOW IT IS REDESIGNED SO THAT ONE CAN SIMPLY REPLACE THE GLASS. BET NISSAN DOESN'T OFFER THIS. EVER PRICED ONE OF THEIR MIRRORS?

19-008-01 Steering Wheel - Popping/Ticking sound - You're certainly stranded if you suddenly can't control the steering, it might even cause a wreck.

A MINOR "CLICK" WHEN TURNING IS ALL, A PIECE OF THE TRIM COVER IN THE WAY, A SIMPLE FIX. CERTAINLY NOTHING THAT WOULD CAUSE ONE NOT TO BE ABLE TO STEER IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM, HARDLY EVEN NOTICEABLE FOR THE FEW OWNERS WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS. OBVIOUSLY IF THAT WAS THE CASE THE VEHICLES IN QUESTION WOULD BE PULLED OFF THE ROAD IMMEDIATELY.

14-006-01 Fuel Tank - Premature Fueling Nozzle Shut Off - You can't drive without fuel

AGAIN, READ IT FOR WHAT IT IS. IN SOME CASES THE FUEL NOZEL MIGHT CLICK OFF, LIKE ON MANY CARS OR AT STATIONS WITH FUSSY PUMPS. YOU SIMPLY LET GO OF THE TRIGGER AND SQUEEZE IT AGAIN. AND THIS USUALLY HAPPENS WHEN THE TANK IS NEAR FULL. AGAIN, NO STRANDING HERE.

08-017-01 Safety Systems - Vehicle modifications/repair - Who know what that is but it sounds serious enough.

IF YOU SAY SO, THEN IT MUST BE. THERE YOU GO MAKING ASSUMPTIONS AGAIN! THIS ISN'T A "RECALL" BY THE WAY. NOTHING THAT WOULD STRAND YOU.

25-001-02 EVAP System - MIL ON/DTC P0442/P0455/P0456 Set - I am not sure what that is. Can you explain that one?

THIS DENOTES A SMALL LEAK IN THE EVAPORATIVE EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM, VAPORS IS ALL, NO BIG DEAL, AND ONCE AGAIN NOTHING TO STRAND YOU. AND IN SOME CASES THE WARNING IS IN ERROR AND NO PROBLEM IS FOUND. SIMPLE REPROM FIX. NOT VERY COMMON AT ALL.

21-006-01 A/T - Fluid Usage - If the fluid level is not checked frequently and is allowed to run dry, you will get stranded.

I HAD TO LAUGH WHEN I SAW THAT YOU LISTED THIS AS A "STRANDED" ISSUE!!!AS I ALREADY EXPLAINED, THIS
    COVERS THE NEW AND IMPOVED FLUID - CHRYSLER IS ALWAYS LOOKING FOR THE LATEST IN TECHNOLOGY TO IMPROVE THEIR ALREADY GREAT VEHICLES. THE NEW AND IMPROVED FLUID OFFERS THESE IMPROVEMENTS (WHILE NISSAN IS NO DOUBT USING ANTIQUATED FORMULAS).

Better anti-wear properties
    Improved rust/corrosion prevention
    Controls oxidation
    Eliminates deposits
    Controls friction
    Retains anti-foaming properties
    Superior properties for low temperature operation

NOW, BIG0RANGE, PLEASE TELL ME HOW I WILL BE GETTING STRANDED IN MY JEEP PER THE ABOVE TSB? ROTFLMAO!!!!

JEEP: "0"
    NISSAN: "1"
    "tloke- you have a JGC. You like it. Cool! We're happy for you, too!"

Whew!! And thanks, I wasn't sure if everyone felt the same way. And my offer still stands to buy BigOrange30 a beer, as soon as he turns 21 that is, we gotta do that!
    Well this has gotten pretty far away from the extended warranty stuff...

As far as reliability goes, I consider the 2001 and beyond to be somewhat of a wild card.

The SUV market is in a lot of flux right now and many models have changed dramatically.

I like the JGC a lot and sincerely hope that Mercedes can help Chrysler with their reliability issues. I owned a MB that required lots of work, but it sure was reliable!!

I also like the Trailblazer and hope that as the model matures they improve their fit and finish. Plus I want to see how the long-term issues with the driveshaft through the oil pan pan-out (pardon the pun).

I owned an exploder once too, and am intrigued by their new design. But again I want to give the new model a few years before I pass judgment.

What sold me on the PF was the past performance record AND the new 240hp engine. Of course now everyone is coming out with fancy 6-bangers that have hp/torque comparable to v-8s...

So again I lament... what to buy next time and how long will I keep my PF. I'm already getting the itch to trade my 2001 PF, which is just silliness!

Financially I should keep it for a very long time. But car buying and ownership are very emotional. Hence the bottom line:
    If you like your vehicle COOL! We're happy for you!
    that TSBs are not an indication of how reliable the vehicle is. You can't have it both ways. Either TSBs are or are not an indicator. The fact is that you have safety/engine/mechanical TSBs to explain and the Pathfinder does not.

I stand by my original statement that you cannot justify $1000 for the extended warranty on the Pathfinder because it won't be in the shop that much and the Jeep needs to cover out to the miles that it does on its original manufacturer's warranty just to compete with Toyota/Honda/Nissan

You certainly haven't come close to refuting that here. Where are all those Pathfinder TSBs you were talking about anyway? Why are there so many on the Jeep if it so much improved?

Everyone sees your arguments for the sieve that they are. A potential Pathfinder buyer can see right through that if he reads through your arguments provided that he can follow the twists, turns and reversals.

End of Discussion!
    Aw, come on, big-o, you've got to know that tloke1 is gonna want to get in the last word after that! image

Or maybe, just maybe, he'll let it rest....

I just believe in common sense and speaking the plain truth. That doesn't seem to be a language that tloke understands.

I know he likes his vehicle and I am glad. I don't see why it is so important to him that I or anyone else likes it.
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    Some experienced the light going away after a few starts (mostly because of the fuel cap not being tighten well).

I had my light on, five days after it is still on. I always tighten my fuel cap well (as far as I remember) so I decided just to let the dealer check under warranty.

Diagnosis: They have to replace the oxygen sensor that they find defective. In the meantime, the light is off but I think it can serve a purpose of its own detecting some stuff in the engine if working properly.

I would recommend that you bring it to the dealer and suggest that they check the oxygen sensor if it is working properly.

PF-LE01
    Regarding the check engine light, be sure you don't ignore it. There are dozens of reasons why the light will glow. Fuel cap and O2 sensors seem to be the most common, but there are lots of others.

I made the mistake of ignoring the light for too long, and the results could have been disastrous. Actually, I had it checked within a couple of weeks of it lighting up, but the diagnosis was some kind of "EVAP purge system failure" and they wanted another couple of hours of labor cost (above the initial "read the computer code" $100 fee) to figure out WHERE the EVAP system was broken, wait for parts to be shipped (if needed), then spend another couple of hours fixing the problem (if they could find it!).

Spare time is hard to come by for me, so I opted to ignore it for several months... until fuel vapor started spraying out the gas cap when it got really hot out over the summer.

I had it checked out right away, and fortunately the shop was able to pinpoint the problem within minutes (because of the new info- fuel vapor shooting out filler neck).

As it turns out, the EVAP canister and purge control valve ($200 in parts) had failed (and had been deteriorating since the light first came on). The contents of the EVAP canister (carbon granules) had been sucked through the entire length of the vacuum lines from the rear of the truck all the way to a valve at the intake manifold. I can only imagine the damage that might have occurred if the granules had entered the intake!!!

Sorry this was so long, but the moral of the story is: Do not ignore the Service Engine Soon light for too long.
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    This is one of the reasons why I continue to read and once in a while participate in the discussion forums.

I find lots of help and suggestions from actual experiences from owners. Dealers find it useful when you suggest to them what can be wrong.