Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• smibradsmibrad Member Posts: 34
    I have 10, 000 miles now on my 01 EL. I switched to Am soil synthetic at 7,000 miles. I'm a believer in the product. Been using it in my vehicles for over 10 years.
  • nismofreaknismofreak Member Posts: 120
    Since there are other boards out there, why doesn't everyone else use them? I mean, we can pack up from here and head to the egroups board. Isn't this Edmunds list just for new buyers? Would our discussions be more focused if it were else where other than this board?

Just a thought...
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I had this spongy brake problem and my dealership bled the brakes. At least, that's what they told me that they did. Anyway, the brakes are much, much better afterwards. Just like meca2 mentioned, it is a good idea to bleed the brakes.

I guess we could all pack up and go to the 'Other' PF Forums. But, would the forums be as friendly and civilized as this Pathfinder forum? This is what I like about this forum -- members are eager to share info without making other members feel less of a person. Everyone's eager to help everyone. Most other forums that I've seen are juvenile in nature, where hostility is the norm. Most members here are mentally mature and I feel comfortable expressing myself.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Agreed Crikey. One thing I would like to see here at Edmunds is more PF boards that focus on certain areas like performance upgrades, aftermarket accessories, audio/video systems, problems, etc. It makes it easier to get a question answered or a discussion started when there aren't 20 unrelated posts made within an hour of your post. However, it requires enough "traffic" at those other sites to make them work and that is very uncertain. If people have thoughts on a good "topic" related to PFs that would compliment this board, chime up. If there appears to be enough interest, let's try and get it started.
  • xsexse Member Posts: 66
    hi everyone,
    i am looking to get a '01 4x4 SE w/ leather,sunroof,tow pkg. i have several questions:

1. i was quoted $29,400 including dest. charge (no tax, lic.) - is this a good price?

2. is the colored body side moulding option worth getting?

3. does navigation automatically come as a sunroof pkg? i dont want the navigation as its a $1776 option.
  • highuphighup Member Posts: 31
    "I installed a couple amps, a tube type sub, and after-market speakers to my 01' SE and it worked out great. They were able to mount the amps in the rear under-storage area which gets them completely out of the way...still looks like factory, but sounds MUCH better. "

I'm also getting my gear together to add more bottom impact to the Bose System in a 01 EL. Everything will be left stock except for the addition of an amp and a 12" sub/box. I intend on tapping off the pre-amp signal wires in the rear amp and also will get the amp-on signal from the wire leading into the amp from the headunit. My question to socata or anyone else that knows...is there sufficient current to turn on this additional (infinity) amp and an external crossover without risk of burning out the output stage of the headunit or should I use a relay?
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    XSE: 1)invoice for your options is $29,675 so $275 over inv sound good (I assume the $500 rebate is already applied). 2) molding seems good for $73 inv. It might not matter, cause I understand 90% of PF stock comes with this opt 3) No, nav is not part of sunroof option

HTH
  • highuphighup Member Posts: 31
    I have approximately 800 miles on my 01 LE and I intend to change my oil every 3k miles with a mineral Mobil 1 5-30w. At 15k, I will switch to Mobil 1 5-30w synthetic. I come from the old school that says things got to break in first and that's my reason for the change to synthetic at 15k. The 5-30w is based on nissan's recommendation in the owner's manual. After the switch to synthetic, the drain interval will be at 5k. I have no doubt that the interval can be extended even more, but 5k is a good round number and easy to remember.
    XSE: 1)invoice for your options is $29,675 so $275 over inv sound good (I assume the $500 rebate is already applied). 2) molding seems good for $73 inv. It might not matter, cause I understand 90% of PF stock comes with this opt 3) No, nav is not part of sunroof option

HTH
  • savage4savage4 Member Posts: 11
    Can someone explain to me why mileage drops in cold weather. I have noticed this on other vehicles in the past but nothing as significant as the PF. My mileage has dropped from 18 to 15 MPG in the last two months. If this keeps up I may have to quit my job, sell my house and move to a warmer climate so I can drive the PF more :-)

14,000 miles since May 2000 and not a single problem to date.
  • lspanglerlspangler Member Posts: 102
    The cold affects milege in a number of ways:

Cold air has much more oxygen in it than warm air does, your o2 sensor sees this and richens the fuel mixture so at any given RPM, you are burning more fuel.

When using the defrost setting on your HVAC control on a vehicle eqipped with A/C, the A/C compressor is switched on to help remove moisture from the air so you are actually driving around with the A/C on in the winter at times. If you don't believe it try this test. When your PF has been running a while, set your temperature to cold and the vent to the floor, let it run this way for a bit and notice the temp of the air, now leave it on clod and switch to DEF, the air will get much colder because of the A/C. This obviously only works when it's warm out though.

Also, letting your car warm up before driving it affects the mileage quite a bit. my old Chevy full size would drop from 17 mpg to 12 mpg in the winter. I'm currently getting about 14.5 - 15.5 mpg with my new SE manual. I am hoping some warm weather will improve this.
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    nismofreak: I went back to the home page in this sight and I found that
    this is a "Consumer Comments" area. Are you a "consumer" before or after
    purchase?? This is also a " Nissan Pathfinder Main Comment Area."
    We are doing fine! Steve
  • aspenwhiteaspenwhite Member Posts: 39
    Oil filter for a 01'LE, any suggestions? (Nissan's, AC Delco, Motorcraft)

Txs for your input.
    aspen white: I used perolator L14612 for the 3.5 engine.
    The filter is infront of the engine. You have to remove the splash
    sheld. Several small screws 10mm wrench and 1 plastic fastener
    in the middle. There is a small scupper under the filter to keep
    oil off the suspention. I called Perolator to get this number the
    catalogs by the filters in the store did not have the 2001 PF yet.
    Cheers.....
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    I get different numbers for your vehicle than li_sailor

Invoice List
    2001 SE 4x4 base 26683 29349
    Destination 520 520
    J03 Sunroof Pkg 953 1099
    4AT Auto trans 909 1000
    X03 Leather Pkg 1734 1999
    P92 Tow Hitch III 305 389
    SUBTOTAL 31104 34356

And you have a quote for $29,400? Wow, that's way under my figures here. Are you sure of the options like leather? Is it really 4x4? Not that I would be suspicious of what a salesman would say... :-)

-Jon
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    In the past 6 months numerous people on this forum have mentioned that the outside temperature indicator on their '01 PF consistently reads 6 to 8 degrees too high. I asked my dealer to fix the problem and was told that "they are all the same way".

While I do like my truck very much, and admit this is a minor problem, there is no excuse for not being able to get it repaired.

I'm willing to compile a list of owners with the same problem and send it to Nissan. Hopefully a long list will get their attention, and they will offer the dealers a fix. I would be happy to Email each participant a copy of the letter I send.

If you would like to be included, please send the following data to pmo755@hotmail.com:

VIN number, model year, name, address and phone number of vehicle owner, Email address, and any remarks about the problem.
  • jamjar1jamjar1 Member Posts: 1
    Shortly after I took delivery of the vehicle my 2001 pathfinder le developed a shimmy at 45/55 and 60/75 mph and a strong pull to the right or left. two dealers have tried to remedy this situation by going through a flowchart attached to tsb 98-102 ( or rather the 1999/2001 upgraded version )the but to no avail. they adjusted the steering rack sliding force, replaced one of the original dunlop TG35 tires and finally replaced all the dunlop tires with michellin tires. all to no avail. the vehicle continues to have shimmy and pull. I contacted Nissan and invited a them to have their rep inspect the vehicle and work out some solution to this problem. no response other then from the dealer. I wrote a letter to nissan in accordance with the rules of the florida lemon law which requires their response within 10 days. Again no response. The matter is now subject to arbitration under the bbb-autoline program which as part of the procedures under the florida lemon law. I am deeply disappointed that my vehicle could not be repaired but more so disappointed with the lack of response from nissan.
    in talking to the dealers it seemed many more pathfinder owners suffered from this problem but did not persue this matter under the lemon law.
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    I went diggin' in the archives for my original post with the info from the NTB. The post isn't there. I found one of my posts referencing my post with the NTB info, but not the actual post. It was in Area VII. Here is the referencing post. I'll have to dig out the NTB at home and post that info again. Bear with me on the info because I'm not exactly sure what I did with the NTB. By the way, I've been shimmy free for over 4,000 miles, now.

#536 of 884 Pathfound: Shimmy fix by smithmd Oct 03, 2000 (04:52 am)
    I recently had my shimmy fixed. A lot of people have discussed this throughout this forum. If you search for shimmy in this Area and the previous Area, you will find all you could ever want to read about the shimmy. If you just want to see how I got mine fixed, though, just look at posts 400, 434, and 435 in this Area. You will find most of my experiences in the first two and some info from the NTB (TSB) in the third.

Good luck ridding yourself of the shimmy!
  • aspenwhiteaspenwhite Member Posts: 39
    meca2,
    Thanks for the info!
    Cheers
    AW
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Check out the Subaru area in the Owner's Club message board. Is that what you all have in mind? If it is and there's enough interest, you could request a Nissan Pathfinder Owner's club area to be created.

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Your list/inv numbers are right but XSE did not spec auto trans. If he meant to, he should go to the LE and get AWD for $300 more...that's the way I got there.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Bullseye!
    yes, its a 4x4 SE with auto trans, leather,sunroof,hitch 3 towing for $29,400. but i know that pathfinders have been underpriced. maybe dealers are getting big rebates or something, i dont know.

i thought the LE was the 'luxury' version with mesh-looking wheels and the SE was the sporty off-road version. I wanted to get in under $30,000 so thats why i didnt look at the LE... also, not crazy about electronic 4wd...opinions?
  • yj87yj87 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

Does the new v6 engine in the pathfinder require premium fuel ? Anybody running it on regular gas ?

yj87
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Most 4WD systems use a viscous coupling mechanism. A special fluid that changes density characteristics due to heat/friction.

The activation controls may be electronic, but the drive train is not.
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    >> lofquist/re: Price on 4x4 SE by xse <<
    >> Your list/inv numbers are right but XSE did not spec auto trans. If he meant to, he should go to the LE and get AWD for $300 more...that's the way I got there. <<

But you can't get leather seats without the auto transmission. I know - it doesn't make sense but Nissan just has it set up that way.

And sorry the numbers got so out of line on the #521 post of mine. I guess that Edmunds no longer handles tabs in posts. The first number on each line is invoice; the second is list.

But as those of us who went to Canada to buy know, you could go up to Vancouver or Toronto and bring that vehicle home for about $27,700. And it would include the AWD and limited slip too. That's more than $3000 under US dealer invoice.

-Jon
  • nismofreaknismofreak Member Posts: 120
    Okay... I have only been on this site for as long as I have owned my Pathy (3 months, has it been that long!). How would we go about locating two Edmunds hosts? Do we need to find people to use the board? I am sure that we could find enough topics to do around like: Break In Proceedures, Maintenance routines/short cuts, Off Roading Practises, etc.

But my thought is: for such a "normal" vehicle, will there be enough interest to sustain it? And how many people here really do want it?

thoughts?
    ok-I forgot that auto is std w/leather...so that's a great price (barring canada). That's $1600 below my price similarly equipped. Yes, the LE is 'luxury' but if you've got leather you've got most of the luxury already, no? The diff is fake wood on the dash (ugh!), same color mirror/bumpers, 6 spoke wheels instead of 5 spoke, auto temp control, auto on/off headlights and memory seat (anything else, folks?) and of course, the AWD (another subject altogether, but I think it's worth $300 easy). I think you get rear a/c ducts also if it's 4x4. For me, it was "do I want this more attractive SE or the AWD" and I'm leaning to the AWD.

YJ87 - yes, you need 91 octane premium
  • colopath2colopath2 Member Posts: 2
    yj87,
    I use 85 octane (over 6000 feet altitude)and it runs great! Check your owner's manual. It specifies AKI (octane) ratings for different conditions.
    "FRIDAY FREEWAY"
    Car Chat
    Date: Every Friday
    Time: 5-6pmPT/8-9pmET

About This Chat
    This chat is an open chat with hosts and members with similar interests to meet, chat, play trivia and talk cars (or whatever you
    want to talk about!) This is YOUR chat...come join in!

Click here!
    http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/chat/freewaychat110300.html

We look forward to seeing you! I know that I'll be there :-)

Drew
    Host
    Well, it happened. A couple of weeks ago, I dropped my keys in the parking lot without realizing it. No big deal, right? Just go pick 'em up. The only problem is that it snowed about 8 or 9 inches that day and the plows had run in the parking lot at least 3 or 4 times before I realized that I had lost my keys. I guess I'll find 'em in April. Anyway, I need a replacement. The Nissan dealer says that I have to be physically at the dealer for him to cut the key and then it will take about 30 minutes to an hour for them to program the key to the truck. $57 for the key and $30 to program the truck/key. Is this reasonable? Is there a way to just buy the key and program the key myself? My wife doesn't like the remote, anyway, so I'm not going to replace that.

Thanks in Advance
    Here is everything about the shimmy. I found my old post. I'd actually saved it in a text file on my PC just-in-case. I'm still shimmy free. Now the other old post:

I just got the Nissan Service Bulletin I had
    mentioned. It's 11 pages and includes and lot of
    stuff, so I won't attempt to reproduce it on this
    page. I will say that on the flow chart, the first
    question is, "Is this vehicle equipped with Nissan
    OEM wheels and tires?" If the answer is no, such
    as if you have already replaced the tires, the flow
    chart states, "This Technical Service Bulletin and
    Nissan Warranty Coverage do not address vibration
    that can be caused by after market products or
    modifications." Even though you've replaced your
    tires already, you might ask your tech to print you
    off a copy of this NTB.

I remember some folks talking about having their
    wheels chromed. The next question in the flow
    chart is, "Are the Nissan OEM wheels aftermarket
    chrome plated?" If the answer to this question is
    yes, you get the same response as the guy that has
    already replaced his tires.

Nissan Service Bulletin

Classification: ST99-001
    Reference: NTB00-061
    Date: July 18, 2000

1999.5-2001 Pathfinder steering and/or body
    vibration

Applied Vehicles: 1999.5-2001 Pathfinder (R50)

Service Information
    If a 1999.5-2001 Pathfinder exhibits steering
    and/or body vibration while driven (without
    braking) at speeds between 60 and 70 MPH, the
    cause(s) may be:
    - Road input (road surface imperfections)
    - Out-of-balance front or rear tires/wheels
    - Insufficient steering rack sliding force
    adjustment
    - Tire flat spotting
    - Excessive tire Radial Force Variations (RFV)

The last part (RFV) is where they look to index or
    match balance your tires and if that still doesn't
    work, they replace your tires.

Hope this helps.
    thanks for the info. thanks for reminding me about the fake wood- thats why i wont buy the LE. having to see that every day is too much!

i use the 4wd for off-road which is why i am hesitant with the electronic switch, but im guessing the electronic awd system is better for street use.

well, if i get one i guess ill be in here more often! thanks again
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Thanks loads for your work on digging up the shimmy info. I've already printed it out and will present it to my dealer next week. Have a good day!
    I have been running regular fuel in mine since new with out any
    problems. Does your area put alcohol in the fuel? The engine has
    a knock sencer and auto spark adjust. I would keep using the
    same fuel or you might drive the computer krazzy. I have read some
    place that even changing to a foam air cleaner takes about 2 weeks
    for the computer to adjust. Who knows about a K&N,might not ever
    get used to that!!
    Cheers......
  • duperduper Member Posts: 127
    For those that have '99 model Pathfinder, here's the TSB for the shimmy

Vehicle: 1999 NISSAN TRUCK PATHFINDER
    Bulletin Number: NTB98102
    Bulletin Date: 02/99

Component: SUSPENSION

Summary: VEHICLE EXHIBITING STEERING SHIMMY WHILE DRIVEN AT SPEEDS BETWEEN 60 AND 70 MPH (W/O BRAKING),DUE TO OUT-OF-BALANCE FRONT OR REAR TIRES / WHEELS AND / OR INSUFFICIENT STEERING RACK SLIDING FORCE ADJUSTMENT. *TT

Please Note: Over 6000 TSB’s are issued annually by automobile manufacturers. Most TSBs are only applicable to a small number of cars within each model type.
    Smithmd: The key on these SUV have a chip in the key. If you don't
    go to the dealer and have on made with there machine you cannot start
    the engine. I don't know about the lock thats only in the drivers door.
    Good Luck.
  • pat01pat01 Member Posts: 23
    Did you know that the computer chip and module driving your compass and temperature gauge is the same module that controls all your dashboard gauges and (here is the key one) the odometer. As I am learning, it is no small feat to replace this part. Based on my experience, I do not think Nissan would be easily able to replace this part since it can't easily be switched or traded (odometer laws make this part vehicle-specific).

Mine has been malfunctioning since I bought my LE November 18. Today is Day #43 in the shop waiting for this part. Lemon law papers filed.

You may also want to report the defect (temperature gauge off) yourself to the NHTSA directly via their web site. If enough people complain to NHTSA, it may investigate.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Hi Pat,
    Thanks for the response. I was thinking that the problem was the outside temperature sensor which is located by the front grille. Fortunately I have not had trouble with the compass, gauages or odometer. Ugh! Your story about computer problems is all too familiar...sounds like the Grand Cherokee I used to have!

I'm surprised, but I have not received any Emails from owners that want to be included on the complaint list. Perhaps the problem is not as widespread as I thought.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    I admit I don't like the extra 10 degrees added to my outside T gauge in the summer. I also admit I'm too lazy to do all of the numbers getting to add to your file. I would think a simple reposition of the temp sensor would suffice. I would be glad to add my c/o to your list if I could just give my name. I'm sure every Pathfinder has this problem as it is a design flaw.
  • gottriagottria Member Posts: 13
    With reguards to the leather seats, make sure they are the Nissan leather seats. The Nissan Leather seats also have the Side Air Bag protection. Fremont Nissan had a couple of SE with leather and they were not the same seats as
    you would get in the LE.
    Also with reguards to the wood trim on the dash, I wasn't to happy with it either but then after seeing a LE, yes a LE, with no wood trim, the dash is to black. Everything was black and it didn't look right in my eyes.

Also don't forget you you can get a limited slip diff with the LE vs the SE. Why I don't know, I also wanted the Limited slip very bad is the SE but my dealer could not locate one in the US. Anybody have SE with a limited slip?
    I have this question, too. Why would AWD benefit from LSD? I thought AWD was, in effect, LSD between all 4 wheels. In order for LSD to do something, wouldn't AWD have to suffer from the 'lift up the right rear wheel and it spins while you go nowhere' problem? Anyone know the answer?
  • thekozman1thekozman1 Member Posts: 10
    I have a SE w/ LSD and leather seats. The leather seats are factory w/ the side airbags. The production date on it is October 00.
    hi sailor: drew the host explained about AWD in post #384. If the right wheel was
    lifted the left would still provide traction on the rear axle,the front is not LSD.
    In AWD the transfer case transfers tork from the axle that is slipping and dirrects
    to the axle with more traction this works very well on packed snow and ice.
    Cheers...
    Steven's post above pretty much sums it up. All wheel drive is precisely what the name suggests. All wheels are powered - you get four drive wheels. An open differential, by design, sends power to the wheel with least resistance. So, if one wheel is up in the air or on a slippery surface, all of the power gets sent to that wheel instead of the opposite wheel with traction. You end up spinning one wheel and going no where. Limited slip differentials apply friction to the spinning wheel to slow it down to transfer power to the opposite wheel. However, it too is only "limited" and eventually will get stuck.

The ultimate is a locking differential since both wheels are physically locked together and have to spin at the same rate. But such a device requires driver training since it could have dire effects if left locked while you're trying to make a turn. Basically the vehicle won't turn and you'll end up going straight and hitting something, or even worse, falling off the side of an embankment.

Other manufacturers, starting with Mercedes-Benz in their M-class, have started using four wheel traction control to intermittently brake the spinning wheel. This provides artificial resistance and fools the open differential into thinking that both wheels are spinning at about the same rate. So in effect, the 4ETS is sort of like a pseudo locking differential and the vehicle may be able to move even if only one wheel out of the four has traction. The main advantages are much less complexity and a significant reduction of unsprung weight (virtually no mechnical parts). The disadvantages are that some power is lost since the brakes turn the energy to heat, and on continously loose surfaces (like deep sand), the system may keep cutting in causing your vehicle to lose momentum. Locking differentials still give you 100% of the power.

Hope this explains things!

Drew
    Host
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Thanks for the tip on the owners club. I think that's exactly what I had in mind.

As an insider, how have the club discussions been affecting traffic on the main topics (ie. do they tend to replace the main topic)? Any suggestions on a few topics to start it up that would attract interest (I'm thinking Performance Mods, Options and Accessories, and Problems)? What is the commitment to be a host? Thanks.
    You can expect a lot of the traffic (especially from the regulars) to be moved to the Owner's club area, but the previous topic, meaning this one, will probably still be moving on a daily basis. For example, even the Subaru Legacy sedan and wagon topics, as well as the Subaru Forester SUV topics are still being used. Most Townhall newbies will most likely find this topic first, and the regulars will then redirect them to the club topics after a while.

As I understand, two members will have to volunteer to be leaders of the club area. For example, juice and Mike are the Subaru Crew chiefs of the Subaru topics, and Mike (paisan) and someone else are the Isuzu spokespersons (that's how they like to call it ) for the Isuzu Trooper topic. If you are interesting (which I think many of you are), I suggest that you, Phil, contact the host of the Owner's club area, Karen, for more details and let the others here know what is involved. That way Karen won't get blasted with multiple e-mails asking the same thing.

Best of luck!

Drew
    Host
  • mdq_ntvmdq_ntv Member Posts: 11
    I have a couple of questions...

Does the rear wind deflector serves any purpose or it's just for looks? and, is everybody happy w/the 01'colors?

Thanks in advance.
  • goose1207goose1207 Member Posts: 113
    MDQ_NTV:
    The rear wind deflector keeps dirt and dust from accumulating on the back hatch and rear window. It is supposed to make a difference in keeping the back clean.

I love my silver color.
  • simba6simba6 Member Posts: 3
    I need to know the best price for 2001 SE 4WD 5 speed manual, with a sunroof and bose system, i can't go to Canada, but definitely can drive down from anywhere in Colorado where I live...any good dealers around.I was offered 29,000 + taxes for the same at Col Springs, but I am still wanting for a fair price and deal.

cheers'
    a PF fan!