Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• nissanlovernissanlover Member Posts: 48
    Hi,
    I have 2001PF which I purchased in Aug, 2001. I only had it for one years, and I noticed something, perhaps, paint is peeling off from the roof rack. I don't think it's really paints, but some kind of plastic film for protective purposes. Do you think I should call service and get it replaced? Is my roof rack defective? Also, I found there is little rust in side of trunk door. Seem like it's from deep scratch. I know, if I don't do anything, rust will eventually spread to big. What step should I take to prevent this? Sand and use touch up paint? What kind of Sand paper is good enough? Thanks in advance
  • gary129gary129 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder with a V-6 and automatic transmission. In combined city/highway driving it only gets 13 mpg! Is this typical? The local Nissan dealership said it was.
    No, I do not have a heavy foot and it runs fine.
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

Gary
  • tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    Well, I was going to, until I came across this information per a most serious past recall on the Nissan:

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 00V410000
    YEAR 2000-2001 Nissan Infinity QX4
    "Defect: Certain passenger vehicles may have an ignition lock assembly with improperly seated key cylinder cap connector pins. Vibration can cause the connecting pins to loosen and/or fall out, allowing the key cylinder cap to disengage from the key cylinder. If this occurs, the steering wheel lock rod can move and lock the steering wheel."

Gasp!! This is far more serious than ALL of the Jeep recalls put together! Talk about not only being stranded, but the crash risk is indeed a scary matter. Yes indeed, those QX4's are incredibly reliable! There is also another recall where the rear hatchback door can break off and cause serious injury to anyone underneath it!! This is on 31,000 2001 models. And this is a vehicle you want to recommend to people over Jeeps? I'd rather have a little gear noise than problems like the above!!!!

My only goal is to balance the playing field fairly. My only claims have been that the reliability of the Jeep brand vehicles has improved from "well below average" in 1999 to "well above average" in 2002. That's all. Plain and simple.

I think it's important to give honest and accurate advice on these message boards, as they are an important source of information that influences a lot of buyers. It's fine to post your opinion and experience, good or bad, about a particular model of vehicle that you own. That helps everyone as long as the facts are true.

BigOrange30 has repeatedly written posts slamming the Jeep Grand Cherokee, for a long period of time now, in different topic areas. His statements at times have been inaccurate and unfair, and based only on the experience of a short ownership period of one Jeep. Because he had problems with that one Jeep, he continually brings this up, month after month, trolling on different newsgroups. Other readers have complained about him as well.

What if I took the above Nissan recall information and went on different newsgroups telling everyone to never buy a QX4 because of that and other problems? Would that be fair to the readers and potential buyers? Of course not. But that is what BigOrange is doing, trashing the Jeep due to one bad experience. That doesn't make ALL Jeeps bad, just like the recall above doesn't make all QX4's bad.

If you want to compare reliability, then really how much better are the Nissans than the Jeeps? If I were to make a chart of all the problems each vehicle had from 1999 to date, both sides would have plenty of listings, and both sides would have less and less as you progressed to current model years. Sure, the Jeep was worse in 1999. But not any more. The playing field is much more level now, contrary to what BigOrange wants people to think.

For new car buyers, buying a Jeep GC or Nissan PF will be NO different as far as the risk of potential problems goes. Either one could be in the shop for a number of reasons. Either one could also not have problems for years 'n years. But the Jeep Grand Cherokee outsells the Pathfinder by a very wide margin, almost 4 to 1 (2002 YTD). That pretty much sums it all up as to which vehicle is the runaway winner between these two models. The overwhelming majority pick the Grand Cherokee. And I could name a hundred reasons why, but I won't go into that. The majority has already spoken.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    or even a comparison of Jeep to the Pathfinder board. That makes you appear to be the troller here tloke. Please stop lying about my record of discussions as I have said the same things in other places that I have here. If there have been unfair and inaccurate statements, please show them with links instead of just throwing out an accusation like that. Let them decide for themselves. While I did find the NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 00V410000 you were talking about, you wanted to talk about 2002's and how improved the Jeeps are. And as far as the majority speaking, you're right. Everyone else here except you that has said anything about it has backed up what I have said that the 2002 Pathfinder is much more reliable then the 2002 JGC.
    You don't have to look at the JGC board to see how many owners are complaining about them. They even had to create a JGC problems board to handle all of the complaints. I don't see a Pathfinder problem board on this site. There are just not enough complaints to warrant it.
  • jflashjflash Member Posts: 45
    I guess that shaking hands is out of the question but I, for one, would appreciate your burying this thread so that I can read some Pathfinder posts without having to sort through the nastiness.
    jack <><
  • smibradsmibrad Member Posts: 34
    Hey guys, let it rest! We really don't care about every little TSB that comes out. If you want to continue your childish behaviors, then we would appreciate you taking it off this forum and you can email each other directly.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...and I quote ...

While we want to maintain an inviting environment for all members, disruptive conduct, such as off-topic comments in a topic-oriented discussion, is not allowed.

The topic here is Nissan Pathfinder. It is not tloke and it is not bigorange and it is not the Jeep Grand Cherokee!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories

• kmrqkmrq Member Posts: 50
    Please argue your relability via e-mail, not on our Comment Area.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Um, big-o, the pathfinder problems board is right here

The Pathfinders do have problems, they just don't seem to be that frequent.

By the way, did anyone happen to find interest in gonemoab.com? Or is that concept (4-wheeling a Nissan in Moab) too extreme for most of the folks here?

I apologize for that mistatement.
  • cretecrete Member Posts: 105
    Since I'm a QX4 owner I posted this on that board in June, but I'm hoping some of you Path owners might be able to give me some more feedback on this issue. Since June the noise has become more frequent and annoying.

My new 2002 QX4 has had a clicking noise in the dash since i got. I took it to the dealer three times now and each time they have lessened the noise but this third time they have narrowed the noise as coming from the heater core. It seems the heater hoses running through the firewall to the heater core under the dash are moving up/down when the engine has force upon it. The hose connections are hitting the heater core so they've tried tightening the connections but the noise still exists. My dealer says the heater core element needs to be replaced, however to do this they need to remove the entire dashboard. I'm very concerned about having the entire dash removed over a clicking noise which does bother me a little every time the engine accelerates or while going over some bumpy roads.

But to have the whole dash removed at this time would leave me wondering if I'm asking for more trouble. The dealer says they will be very careful reinstalling the dash and since it is still under warranty if anything goes wrong it can be checked out. Or I can wait just until my warranty is up and have the dash removed at that time and just live with the noise until then.

Folks, I'd appreciate your input on whether to live with the noise for now or take a chance on removing the dash. Has anyone else ever had their dash removed and replaced without further problems.
  • brisoupbrisoup Member Posts: 56
    Having the dealer take apart your dash is kind of a gamble.The outcome of the noise being permanately fixed and your dash being re-installed properly depends on one thing: The technician working on your truck.You can ease your concerns by doing some investagating.See how long your dealer has been in business.The longer he's been in business the more experience they have in difficult repairs.This may sound extreme but ask the shop manager the qualifications of the technican working on your truck,If he's ever taken apart a dashbord before.If I was you I would have this taken care of sooner than later in case there are complacations from either the dash beign taken apart or from the heater core parts rubbing together. You'll have plenty of time for any follow-up repairs while you are still under warrenty. BTW- On my 2002 Pathfinder LE I was having a annoying wind noise in the area of the passenger side of my dashboard at speeds over 45MPH. I figured I would try to find the noise on my own to see if it was a simple screw or bracket loose that I could tighten myself so I wouldn't have to take it back to the dealer. I couldn't find anything loose around the dashboard. I then went outside the truck and checked the door seals. They were fine too. I then checked the passenger side front mud flap and realized it was very loose where the guard connects to the wheel well. I tightened it up and the noise dissapered! Once the noise was gone I started enjoying my truck alot more. Good luck!! Let us know how things turn out.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey, coming up on 23,500 miles & I couldn't be more satisfied w/ the reliability of my 2001 PF. But, I've had a few problems I just wanted to send out & see if anyone else has found solutions:
    1) Had new rotors put on at 15,000 or so for warping. Feels like it's time for new ones again. Anybody put any aftermarket (Brombo, etc.) rotors on & had good luck? Also, if they've replaced your rotors did they also replace the pads?
    2) Anybody had a squeaking noise as the steering wheel is turned? This is definitely inside the vehicle, not outside.
    3) Had excessive tire wear on the outside of my front tires around 15,000 miles so I paid (unfortunately because I waited past the 12,000 mile adjustment warranty) for an alignment & they told me it was toe out & this should take care of it. Well, here I am at 23,000 the front tire wear is just as bad or worse. I've rotated my tires myself per the schedule.

Like I said, these are minor things to deal w/ compared w/ other vehicles... more nuisances. Let me know if you have any comments. Thanks...
  • dogworkdogwork Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Pathfinder and can't seem to locate the in-cabin filter...the owner's manual just says to have the dealer service it, but that seems a little to expensive for the work it involves. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
  • w62w62 Member Posts: 27
    Thanks very much for the support of this great group. With the information on the price of 02 PF I got from messages from this group, I picked up an 02 pF with 62 miles on it.
    Price: 31056 after $1,000 rebate and 0.9% financing of 36 moths
    02 PF LE with leather package+sunroof deflector+strips around the vechicle(forgot the term)+front privacy glass(is it standard feature or not?)
    I spent several hours negotiating with the dealer.
    I was exhausted at the end of the talk. I tried my best. I live in the Seattle area. I seem to see postings complaining about how difficult to talk with dealers in the Seattle area. It is true in my experience. I may have gotten a better deal if I'd prepared more.
    Tkanks again for everybody's help.
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
  • lancearmstronglancearmstrong Member Posts: 38
    I thought potential buyers might be interested in my latest gas mileage for 2 tanks of gas with about 1300 to 2000 miles on the odometer (still breaking it in) on my '02 SE 4WD. I averaged about 19.3 MPG with about 80% highway driving. Highway speeds were generally between 65 and 78 mph., with me purposely varying speeds somewhat to insure a proper break in (Nissan recommends this for 1st 500 miles, but I did it longer, just to be safe.) Air conditioning was running constantly. About half of the miles were with 2 passengers and about 150 lbs of cargo. I was not "babying" the PF either. I have noticed a slight gain in horsepower as the engine is breaking in.

I expect to get around 20 MPG highway after it gets more fully broken in, particularly when I don't run the A/C constantly
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    I bought a lifetime alignment on my Pathfinder at a Firestone dealer for about $150. I have my truck aligned, tires rotated, and oil changed every 3 or 4 thousand miles. I only pay for the oil change ($22...less with a coupon!).

My original equipment Dueler H/T's only lasted about 27,000. I currently have about 25,000 on my Dueler A/T's and expect to get at least another 15,000 out of them with the above maintenance.

By the way, the lifetime alignment is for the life of the truck, not the tires. I'm sure other tire dealers offer a similar deal.
  • mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    I've seen people say that the Pathfinder has a 'carlike' ride. Is this true or not?
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Well, maybe not as carlike as a Highlander or Pilot since both have independent rear suspensions, which I feel provide a more carlike ride. But yes, it is more carlike than other SUVs since it's on a unibody frame.
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    I've see some of these SUV's and Vans with independent suspensions all loaded up with the rear wheels at what seems like 10-15 degree angles - that can't be good for tire ... ???
    but I like it that way. If you want one that looks and rides like a car, an RX300 or Highlander are good ones.
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    Compare my '99.5 4x4 Pathy to my in-laws' '02 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it has a smoother ride. Compare it to my parents' '98 Expedition or friend's '99 Explorer and it has a better ride. Compare it to my wife's '98 Honda Accord and it rides like a truck with a solid rear axle.
  • katherinevkatherinev Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone come a cross braking problems on the above model. At low speed the ABS comes on and the brake pedal pulsates. The car does not stop.
    Brakes are spongy. Nissan refuses to bleed brakes. Vehicle was involved in car accident. My hubby thought I was lying until he got a phone call from an insurance company to say that they had a customer that had the same problem with her car and Nissan fobbed it off and told the assessor he was kidding himself just like they did to me. This other vehicle is also a 2001 Pathfinder. Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know anything about it.
  • dlo1027dlo1027 Member Posts: 1
    I don't see how an air filter can increase gas mileage at all. More air flow may give you a little bit of hp but with more air also goes more gas at a ratio of about 14 to 1. Maybe slightly less vacuum at the intake might affect something.
  • mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    Sometimes when opening the front driver's door on my 02 PF it takes a lot of force to open. Does anyone else have this, and if so what do I do?

Also, the rear doors are a [non-permissible content removed] to close, you have to 'slam' it to get it to propery close.
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    Does anyone know where the best place to go to purchase this and other items such as the back light gaurds, side molding, etc.??
  • weathercasterweathercaster Member Posts: 2
    I just spent six weeks in researching my purchase of an 02 Pathfinder. I found the discussion here to be very interesting, helpful and entertaining. Although my final purchase was made very carefully, I came to the final determination that there is not a perfect vehicle out there. If there was, the whole world would own it. Subsequently and subjectively, we all have our preferences and likes and dislikes related to finding transportation that meets our own individual needs. Isn't it wonderful that we have a choice and that there are so many choices?

Without going on and on about the many reasons I had for finally purchasing a Path, let me say that it is my belief through all of my research that this vehicle will not only meet my personal needs, but it will last a long time and will require less maintenance than most other SUV's in its category.

I leased a 97 Pathfinder XE for three years. Before this particular pathfinder was leased, I had done a lot of research which lead me to the truck in the first place. It was for other reasons I ended up for two years in a Ford Expedition on a short term lease (but a long story). Anyway, this go around, I found myself back again to a Pathfinder, not for a lease this time, but for a purchase. I think that says a lot in itself. I've owned a Toyota SR5 (pre Tacoma) pickup, a Ford Tempo, two Dodge Caravans (for the family), but my personal preference is the Pathfinder. My experience before, and my expectations now, are all very positive as related to the Pathfinder.

I just thought I would throw in my two bits. There are some of folks who are having a few problems with their Pathfinders and there are a multitude of Pathfinder owners who quietly "enjoy the ride" and never complain or even comment. They just quietly turn over the miles (almost always well over 100k and often over 200k).

Thanks very much to those of you who have posted interesting, informative and thought provoking comments here. They have been very helpful for me. I'll keep reading what you have to say and I'll comment where appropriate. In the mean time, I'm going to make my "Path" a fun one…to all of those places I need to go.

And, I'll keep going and going and going.
  • dcavicdcavic Member Posts: 9
    Just purchased side window reflectors from Nissan on the internet. Thought they would install in the window channels but discovered upon arrival that they are glued on with tape. Anyone have experience with these type reflectors?. Will they damage the paint if removed in the future? Are they really secure?
  • lancearmstronglancearmstrong Member Posts: 38
    Assuming that you're talking about the window ventshades that deflect wind from the edges of the windows...yes, they are very secure, assuming they're properly installed. I have them on my Tacoma and they'll break before they'll come off. I don't know if they would damage the paint, but you probably won't take them off. If you do, the glue will most likely come off cleanly with mineral spirits.
  • jefepro2jefepro2 Member Posts: 16
    I am curious as to why the Pathfinder was rated for a 5000 tow limit. Here is why...
    The Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 has (which I am sure your aware)
    Horsepower @ RPM
    240 @ 6000
    Torque @ RPM
    265 @ 3200
    Towing Capacity (max) 5000 lbs.
    Curb Weight (Automatic Transmission) 4304
    The GMC Envoy 4x4
    Horsepower @ RPM
    275 @ 5800
    Torque @ RPM
    275 @ 3800
    Towing Capacity (max) 6200 lbs.
    Curb Weight (Automatic Transmission)4616 lbs.

So, does 10 pounds of Torque plus 35 horsepower = 1200 more pounds of max towing capacity??

Also, do you think a Pathfinder would be able to tow a 3200 lb. boat with a 1300 lb. double axle trailer using disc brakes fairly well, or am I pushing it? I am leaning to the Pathfinder, however, I am planning on trailering this boat alot (which is why I am getting an SUV in the first place)

Thanks

Jeff
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Although the new PF has more HP and Torque (new powertrain in general), it is essentially the same chassis and suspension. I believe it is these items that are limiting the towing capability of the PF...but dang...the new engine can sure haul that 5000 lbs easy!
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Dodge Viper
    450hp
    490ft-lb
    3442 curb weight

Must be able to tow 15,000
  • isguyisguy Member Posts: 13
    I am one of those Finder owners that "quietly enjoys the ride" I have an 02 LE and it has been perfect since day one! I have 21,000 new miles on it - almost entirely highway, but I have towed my boat 3 or 4 times. Boat and trailer weigh 4800 lbs combined. Never had a problem.
  • tencentparttencentpart Member Posts: 3
    Nissan's V6 has been the only engine in the world to make the "Ward's Top Ten" engine list all 7 years it's been picking the top world engines....
    http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_wards_ten_best/index.htm

Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.
    3.5L DOHC V-6
    Engine type: 3.5L 60° DOHC V-6
    Displacement (cc): 3,498
    Block/head material: aluminum/aluminum
    Bore × stroke: 95.5 mm × 81.4 mm
    Horsepower (SAE net): 240 @ 5,800 rpm
    Torque: 246 lb.-ft. (334 Nm) @ 4,400 rpm
    Specific output: 69 hp/L
    Compression ratio: 9.5:1
    Application tested: Altima 3.5SE

The bad news: We have to say &#147;so long&#148; to Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.'s spectacular 3L &#147;VQ&#148; DOHC V-6, retiring from Best Engines competition after seven consecutive wins only because, (paradoxically to us,) Nissan is discontinuing in most world markets the 3L variant of the ground-breaking modular VQ engine family.

The good news: the larger 3.5L VQ we now get to replace the 3L simply is more of a good thing. Chocolate fudge smothering chocolate ice cream, if you will.

The outgoing 3L VQ checked out producing a maximum of 227 hp. The new 3.5L V-6, as tested in the 2002 Altima, makes 240 hp. In the Maxima, the engine's tuned for 260 horses, and next year we'll see it develop even more juice when it shows up for duty in the reincarnated Nissan 350Z sports coupe.

Sharp readers will know that we first tested the 3.5L VQ V-6 last year in its inaugural application, the Pathfinder SUV. To save time, we'll summate by saying that the aging Pathfinder was not the ideal showcase for the engine.

That's changed, of course, proving our assertion that a Best Engines award often comes down to an auto maker's acuteness in matching the right engine with the right vehicle (and, sometimes, the right transmission, too). In the new Altima chassis, the 3.5L VQ is downright invigorating: there's momentous thrust in every gear, right through to the redline &#151; thanks, Nissan, for the available 5-speed manual, by the way &#151; and this engine feels stronger that its 240-hp rating. For the new engine, though, it's at least partially explained by the healthy 246 lb.-ft. (334 Nm) that comes from the extra half-liter.

The 3.5L VQ V-6 is a rare treat: delightfully flexible, but backed up by the muscle of bona fide torque. And it's not all attributable simply to extra displacement. The 3.5L VQ V-6 offers some serious upgrades: an excellent infinitely variable valve timing system, a first to the VQ family and, Nissan's engineers claim, the world's first variable valve timing to use electromagnetic control of camshaft phasing.

Finally, we're impressed and relieved that the VQ family's competitor-crushing NVH and refinement haven't been compromised. A new &#147;silent&#148; camshaft chain drive and strategic block stiffening pitch in to ensure levels of refinement that continue to be the envy of engine designers worldwide. After building the world's best V-6 engine for the last seven years, Nissan engineers haven't relaxed &#151; their new 3.5L VQ V-6 again rewrites the definition for &#147;world-class.&#148;
    ...is determined by other factors besides engine power. Factors such as transmission load, chassis weight, and braking capacity are also taken into account.

The higher rating of the Envoy vs the Pathfinder could be a combination of all these factors.

Nonetheless, the Pathfinder can 'officially' tow 5000 lbs, but be prepared for the rear end to sag somewhat under this condition, especially with a heavy tongue weight.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let's refrain from quoting substantial excerpts of copyrighted material. It gives our lawyers heartburn and I am sure it doesn't make the copyright holder particularly happy either.

Thanks.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • dcavicdcavic Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the info, and I meant deflectors not reflectors. I got to stay away from early morning posts.
  • texamau1texamau1 Member Posts: 42
    Just got my 02 PF se last week ($200 below invoice & 0.9% for 36 months)! I was very pleased with the ride. This is my first SUV with a manual 4 wheel drives transfer case, my question is what's the fastest speed that I can go in 4H? the manual said the max speed is 50mph, (and you can shift between 2H & 4H on the fly.) Has anyone ever go faster than 50mph in 4H? The reason I asked is that I wanted to have 4 wheels traction in the rain, it seem like 50mph is a bit slow on a 65mph road. My brother have a 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee, it had a fulltime 4H and it can cruise @ 75mph with no problem.
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    I'm currently looking for a 1999.5 SE 4x4. Dealers seem to be in the $17,000 - $18,000 range. I'm looking for some info from those of you that have leased or traded in your 1999.5's. What was the residual price from your lease or how much have you been offered for trade-in? Thanks for your help...
    Do not use 4H while driving on pavement in the rain.
    Wet pavement is not slippery enough to prevent drivetrain binding while the transfer case is locked. 4H should only be used off pavement or in snow, and it's unlikely you'll be driving much faster than 50mph on dirt, so that's the main reason why Nissan says "50 mph" even though mechanically it will operate above that.

2WD traction in the rain is sufficient, provided you don't try to drive like a Formula1 racer. ;)

Only full-time 4wheel drive systems (like the one on the LE model) are designed to function well in all weather and terrain conditions (except for extreme weather, like floods, hurricanes, mudslides, etc. of course).
  • poswaldposwald Member Posts: 38
    I assume you have surge brakes on the trailer. If so on one or 2 axles? Did you do anything to beef up the rear suspension (air bags etc)? Also did you put in an "additional" transmission cooler and/or switch to synthetics in tranny. I'm sure pulling is no problem...but how about stopping? Please more info!! I am thinking of towing the same as you (3200 lb boat + dual axle trailer with some gas and gear approx 4500 lbs total) but have been very worried about being able to do so. I have an 01 240 hp auto PF LE 4x4 with a class III hitch. I would only have to tow about 10-20 miles on mostly flat highways or major roads. I have been advised by several others not to go above 85% of the 5000 lb rating mostly because of ability to stop, rear end sag and extra load on tranny. It sounds like from your experiences I should be able to do this...right?
  • dupersc1dupersc1 Member Posts: 11
    For those that are afraid carrying heavy load or towing can sag the rear, you can give these a try.

More info can be found at http://www.4x4parts.com

• li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Hey, folks...looking for a source for replacing my left rear seat shoulder/lap belt. My dog chewed almost completely through it. I've looked around a bit and found nothing. Any ideas other than getting it directly from my Nissan dealer?

thanks
    2001 PF LE
  • isguyisguy Member Posts: 13
    My boat weighs 2900 lbs, and I tow it with a single axle trailer with surge brakes. When on the highway I towed at @ 65 with O/D engaged, on back roads I turned off O/D. To be honest with you, I can't remember if the trailer weighs 900 lbs or 1800 lbs (it's one or the other). Looking at your values, it probably only weighs 900 lbs, which would put the total at 3800.

In any case, I have done nothing to beef up the rear end, nor have I done anything to cool the tranny. The tongue weight must not be too bad, because I notice very little sag.

Braking has not been a problem since the surge brakes have worked well.

My typical tow lasts @ 2 1/2 hours, with @ 80% highway.

Good luck!
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    If texamau needs 4wd at 75 mph he better invest in some of those z rated snow tires.
  • texamau1texamau1 Member Posts: 42
    Thanks xplorx4, for the info ... on 4H !!
  • w62w62 Member Posts: 27
    Hi all,
    I drove my new 02 PF for about 900 feet with parking brake on a few days ago. I was in a hurry and forgot to release it. Could you let me know how much damage it may have done on the brake and other systems of my PF? I seem to feel the brake is not as sensitive as before. I am just not sure.
    After driving for 700 miles, I noticed that the engine of my PF tends to make a sort of rumbling noise when accelerating. This engine sound is particularly louder when climbing hills. The engine sounds like it’s working hard when this happens. I feel the gas pedal gets tighter too when this happens. It makes the little rumbling noise when I first start driving, but after a while it gets quiet. Is it normal for a PF to do that during breaking period? Do SUVs just run like this not as sedans.

Any information and comments are greatly appreciated
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    poswald,

You'll be fine for short trips. I'm sure your boat trailer has surge brakes (atleast I hope so). I work for a marina and have towed up to 23' boats with my 01 LE to and from different boat shows. The 3.5 6 really has decent pulling power and the transmission never seems stressed even while towing around 5,000lbs. Generally boats have low tongue weights compared to most other trailers. Usually no more than 5-8% of total weight. What really keeps the pathfinder from towing heavier weight is the relatively short wheel base. It becomes very noticable when towing loads near the tow rating. If sway becomes a problem you can always add anti-sway devices.

Good luck
    I had been told that I should run in 4H on wet pavement because you just need to run the 4X4 parts occasionally to keep them lubricated. The old saying "if you don't use it, you will lose it" was told to me. Its not a question of needing it as I don't. I just want to keep it in working order. Where can I get the authoritative answer on this?