Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• lancearmstronglancearmstrong Member Posts: 38
    I have averaged 17 to 19 MPG on my '02 SE with automatic tranny, which currently has just over 3000 mi. I have run 89, 91, and 93 octane and have never heard pinging with any octane rating. I drive at less than 1000' above sea level. I guess I might get it down around 15 MPG with 100% city driving.
  • vbscottvbscott Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any transmisson problems with their Pathfinder? I just had the auto transmission on my 2001 PF replaced. I was driving on the highway and noticed that my transmission kept downshifting to maintain speed on a flat road. I was 30 miles from anywhere and it was very late, and so I kept going. It got progressively worse, until it would no longer shift past second. The PF is pretty loud doing 40 MPH in second! I took it to the dealer the next morning, and they said the transmission was gone. The tech said I had done all the maintenence, and that it wasn't anything I did. I have 47000 miles on it, so the powertrain warranty was still in effect, and they replaced the entire transmission under warranty. Just got it back Saturday, feels fine, actually better than before. After this happened I checked around for any hint of transmission problems with the PF, and I couldn't find anything. The consumer reports reliability survey had the 2001 PF transmission as "much better than average". Anybody else ever hear of anything like this, or am I just unlucky?
  • markipkimarkipki Member Posts: 3
    Just got a 2002 LE and wanted to see what you folks use for a website to get all the little things...thanks!
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Start here: Automotive Customizers: your #1 source for Nissan Aftermarket Parts

They are still in the process of updating their online catalog, so if you can't find something, try giving them a call.

• baddestbob1baddestbob1 Member Posts: 96
    What/where is this (I can't find the propellor either!)? Do it ur self or professional lube. Thanks
  • plasmid1plasmid1 Member Posts: 11
    has anyone here installed the skid plate on transfer case for 2001+ pathys??? i have a 02 LE and would like to add one. i would really appreciate it if someone can answer the question for me.
    It's another name for driveshaft.

The greasable shaft is the one that connects the front differential housing to the transfer case. It's located under the driver's side of the vehicle. There should be a Zerk grease nipple (for grease guns) on the driveshaft, about 1 foot from the transfer case.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    XPLORX4 is right. The propeller shaft greasing is very easy, one fitting. It's much easier if the vehicle is jacked up so you can rotate the drive shaft by hand to better access the fitting. If you can't jack the vehicle up & it's in a bad spot you can always pull forward a little to rotate the fitting around. Don't be surprised if it doesn't take any grease. I have 25,000 miles or so on my 2001 & it's never taken any grease, although I've tried at every interval the manual recommends. You're supposed to use Molybdium-Disulfide grease (spelling?) on this fitting, or Moly as most auto places will call it. I use Mobil's moly.
  • thewildmanthewildman Member Posts: 13
    TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM (TCS) (if so equipped)
    On slippery surfaces such as wet asphalt roads, vehicle wheels may spin when the vehicle is accelerated. This wheel spin reduces acceleration, or causes the vehicle to swerve, thus decreasing vehicle stability. When the vehicle drive wheels begin to spin, the traction control system (TCS) controls the engine torque using an electronic control system, and it also controls automatic control shifting if necessary (for automatic transmission models). This reduces spinning of the drive wheels, and result in improved vehicle acceleration performance. It also improves the vehicle stability by swerving motion.

VEHICLE DYNAMICS CONTROL (VDC) SYSTEM (if so equipped)
    When driving on slippery surfaces or suddenly avoiding obstacles on roads, the vehicle might swerve or slip. With the vehicle dynamics control (VDC) system, sensors detect these movements and control the braking and engine output to help improve vehicle stability while driving. The VDC system uses a Brake Limited Slip Differential (LSD) system to improve vehicle traction. The brake LSD system works when one of the driving wheels is spinning on a slippery surface. The brake LSD system brakes the spinning wheel to distribute the driving power to the other driving wheel. If the vehicle is operated with the vehicle dynamics control system turned off, all VDC and TCS functions will be turned off. The brake LSD system and ABS will still operate with the VDC system off. If the brake LSD system or the ABS is activated, the slip indicator light will blink and you may hear a clunk noise and/or feel a pulsation in the brake pedal. This is normal. While the VDC system is operating, you may feel a pulsation in the brake pedal and hear a noise or vibration from under the hood. This is normal and indicates that the VDC system is working properly.
    has anyone here installed the skid plate on transfer case for 2001+ pathys??? i have a 02 LE and would like to add one. i would really appreciate it if someone can answer the question for me.
    There's only one t-case skid plate that I'm aware of, and it's only meant to fit the lever-selectable t-case, not the all-mode version.

This is a shot of the t-case with skid plate attached, taken from the passenger side.

Why do you wish to install the skid plate?

I just wanted to add more protection on transfer case, but since i have the all-mode 4WD, i guess i can't bug the skid plate in the picture you showed. thanks anyway.
  • pt4x4pt4x4 Member Posts: 2
    I just got my 02 LE and love it. Thanks to all the posts from the last year. My only question is this: when I turn the ignition off, the pathy lurches forward a bit (an inch or so). I have driven previous cars where the car shifts when you put the car in park or take your foot off the petal, but never when you turn off the ignition. My question is whether this is normal and what causes the car to move when the ignition is turned off? The dealer told me that on Pathfinders, this is normal. Any help is appreciated.
  • lb03lb03 Member Posts: 1
    PT4X4,
    I had the same question for this forum a few months ago. I was told it was normal when in "Auto" or 4WD. In 2WD this doesn't happen. It has something to do with the engagement of 4X4. Glad you like your ride. I'm extremely happy with mine.
  • dlundgrendlundgren Member Posts: 17
    Even coming from Honda Accords in the past, I have to say I'm not dissatisfied with the mileage on my 2002 SE. I've had it four months now and put on almost 10,000 miles already. It has been from here in the Hudson Valley NY to North Carolina and back with two kayaks on the roof, cruise locked at 75mph, and gotten about 17.5mpg on that trip. It's been to Lake Placid many times with the kayaks on top and gotten similar results. I've gotten a bit over 19mpg on some other trips with no boats on it.

For the way these things perform and everything they give you, I think that's pretty good. I do run high test gas in it all the time, for what that's worth.

Dave
  • wjqiwjqi Member Posts: 8
    We have a 2002 Pathfinder LE, I have read about the backend bottom out or sag problems for some time now. We have carried 4 normal size people in our Pathfinder a lot of times. Would someone please explain to me what it feels like when the backend bottoms out? I would appreciate your help.
    It feels like you drove over a curb at 30mph! It's usually a pretty bone-jarring THUNK! that comes from the rear of the vehicle. Passengers who are sitting back there will probably complain, wondering if you're still on the road or not.

You can't miss it if it happens to you.

PS. The term "normal" is kind of a vague way to describe people, since everyone's perception of "normal" is different. The weight of "Normal" x 4 can vary by quite a bit! (i.e. a "normal" healthy man might weigh 180 lbs, and a "normal" healthy woman might weigh 140 lbs. for a total difference of 160 lbs- about the equivalent of an extra passenger).
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I think my 02 QX4 is nearly identical to Pathfinder so I post this here. One time I flipped down rear seats and carried 200 bricks plus three bags of mixed mortar, maybe 60 pound each. Two people were in the front, I was the driver and the other passenger. Before we drove home we found the that heavy weight made the rear side much lower. But looking into the rear wheel well, I thought it was marginally OK to drive slowly home. I made sure nothing was touching when driving. The overall feel was just a little heavy, no other noticeable feels maybe we were all in the front and there was no bump, just typical cith drive of 2 miles. I weighed the brick and it's roughly 4 pound. So we overloaded the QX4 by quite a lot, 2 people (about 260 pound) + 3x60 pound + 200x4 pound. I think it's rated 950 pound max. Will never do that again.
  • chinnychinny Member Posts: 1
    We came across a 1999.5 Pathfinder 4WD SE with 41,500 miles, 5 speed manual . . . There is one major dent that is rusting near the running boards and some minor rust spots (almost pin - size). The owner must have installed a towing mechanism (seems to be rusting underneath as well)...not factory installed.

Is $17,000 a good deal, considering the rust spots? We would be purchasing from a Nissan dealer.
  • normp1normp1 Member Posts: 25
    I purchased my 02 pathfinder in early May of last year. I've done my own oil and filter changes, checked visible fluid levels, belts ,air filters and hoses etc..As I have only had the vehicle in 4x4 mode once for a short period of time and have less than 8000 km on it so I'm wondering what if anything needs to be serviced ? The manual suggests every six months but am I just wasting money if everything seems fine ? Also any advice on winter tires and rims (live in snow country) would be appreciated ( I've checked out tirerack.com already ). I've heard that the stock Bridgestones are terrible on ice and snow ? So I would like to get winter steel rims and tires. Thanks for all your opinions
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Anyone got any Patrol info? Please see:

wishnhigh1 "Nissan Patrol" Sep 15, 2002 1:34pm

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • walter12walter12 Member Posts: 30
    We also have a problem with pinging on 91 octane gasoline under gentle acceleration that you posted Sept 8, 2002. Our PF is two weeks old. Have you gone back to the dealer? Does your PF still ping and what has the dealer done to help? Any advice you could offer us would be appreciated? We have not talked with the dealer as yet, but will do so soon. Thanks in advance for your response.
  • savanzasavanza Member Posts: 3
    My 99.5 has an a/c fan noise. Subtle, but there constantly. Is this normal? Thanks.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I've also noticed that my 2001 LE has a subtle fan noise which seems to be coming from the center vents. Not extremely annoying, but I'm getting my dealer to check it out next time I'm in.
    Anyone ever have a problem with a bad odor coming from the vents? My 2001 PF does. I've heard of this before & that it's algae or something growing in the ventilation system. Anyone know a fix for this? Thanks...
  • srocsroc Member Posts: 15
    Hi

I am still researching SUVs on the web (have not reached the stage of visiting the dealer yet) Does Pathfinder have a cramped rear seat? - have heard a number of views on this. The measuremnt is 31.8" of rear seat leg room. Most other SUVS of this kind provide 34" or more. Is there something in the design that makes the 31.8 livable with?
    is not the "best in class", but the fact that you can recline the rear seats really makes a difference to the comfort level. I find your feet are still a bit high for my liking, but the headroom is fine once the recline is adjusted. I have driven in the back seat for 3 hours and been quite comfortable (I'm 6'1").
  • smibradsmibrad Member Posts: 34
    My 2001 LE also has a smell from the vents when I first start out in the mornings. A co-worker has a 2001 LE and her PF also has the same smell. I replaced the microfilters but that did not help. A fix to this musty smell would be nice!
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    Skid plate-
    Dean, I just went to your site to pick up that part #, but it's "under construction". Could you post it again if possible? I'm gonna throw one on before our UT trip in a month.

Stinky Vent-
    I has made a HUGE difference in our '01 SE if we run a bit of "clean" outside air through the system before powering it down. When I pull into our neighborhood, If re-circ. is on, I'll turn off the re-circ. button and let it pull dry air from the exterior for the 5 mins or so it takes me to get to the house. Granted the relative humidity here in Denver is usually 10-15% max. I think it also makes a bit a difference on how much you use the re-circ. vs. the fresh AC air-fresh air being drier coming into the system.

just some thoughts,
    good luck,
    gritz
  • jeffirving42jeffirving42 Member Posts: 3
    Should I buy an Extended Warranty for my '02 SE 5-spd or not? The Pathfinder replaced an '87 Land Cruiser that was about as basic as they come. A friend sez all the newfangled computer stuff is very expensive to fix. He sez I should buy the Extended Warranty regardless of the Pathfinder's top Reliability rating. I'm still gonna need it.

What do y'all think? TIA.
    Personally I'd not buy Extended Warranty if the new car is Japaness big three, Toyota, Honda and Nissan. So far I bought four new cars with no Extended Warranty: 94 Altima, 96 Maxima, 00 RX300 and 02 QX4. None of them had ANY failure, not even a loose screw, although some are too new to claim they won't fail.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    The extended warranty is a waste of money for the Pathfinder. I bought a QX4 without it. If I felt that it was going to need a $1000 worth repairs after the manufacturers warranty runs out and before the extended one would, I wouldn't buy the car at all. So much for "Made in America". The phrase just doesn't denote high quality in the automobile industry anymore.
    Still remember when I signed contract for 94 Alitma, the finance manager strongly recommended Extended Warranty, saying if after 7 years or so the timing belt is going out it'll be covered (later found it is a chain, not a belt! A perfect liar). I said NO. He was very unhappy with me.
    My rule of thumb is that if they push to sell something then I won't buy because I know they are going to make a profit out of me.
    Thanks everybody for the help, I'll try running the fresh air before I shut down. I do use recirculate most of the time. I'll let you know if it works...
  • bensomibensomi Member Posts: 10
    From the "SUVs for Tall People" messages- thought this would be interesting for those of you reading this message board as well...

Well, over labor day weekend, I drove a Trooper, Escape, & Explorer. We also drove a Pathfinder as well for my wife's review - I had already driven one.

First off, I'm about 6'4" tall. When I drove the Trooper, I couldn't see the traffic light when we were stopped! My eyes were at the same level as the top of the windshield! Plus, the seat didn't go back enough. Didn't like it. By the way, also sat in an Axiom - worse leg room than the Toyota Corolla we traded in.

The Escape was a little tight for leg/knees, but had plenty of headroom. Not bad. Not 0% financing however. Couldn't justify paying for a new one when I could pick up a used SUV with not too much mileage for a lot less.

The Explorer was awesome in a lot of ways. Fit-wise, it was the best. Seriously. We drove a 2002 or 2003 I think. Lots of bells and whistles. I wasn't up to paying new car price however, so I started researching older models, and found that the optional 3rd row of seats wasn't offered until 2002 I believe. Anyhoo, we nearly started looking hard for a used one anyway.

Then I found 2 2001 Nissan Pathfinders with less than 20,000 miles for around $21,000. We drove about 5 hours on a Friday night (as you might remember, my wife is (was) pregnant and was actually due on that date!). She was feeling fine... so it was okay. We ended up purchasing one for $21,200 with 16,000 miles, putting down @ $7,000 (including trade in here) and financing $14,000 @ 4.75% interest.

Whadda deal!

Reasons for buying:
    Good headroom - no probs there. Leg room was just right at it's maxed out seat position. Wheel was very comfortable to reach to. Amenities were fine - we bought an SE w/ Bose CD player & power everything. No sunroof, and cloth seats - but I like the seats.. not your normal cheap-looking cloth seats. Additionally, after doing the research, we found that the 2001 version had a bigger 230HP engine - and has great pickup. Finally, the deciding factor over the Explorer was probably the reliability - as Consumer Reports lists it as one of the only recommended used SUVs out there.

- Mike & Jenn
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    FYI,
    2001+ all have a minimum of 240HP. 240hp in all the models with an auto tranny, and 250hp in the SE mated to the 5spd. ;-)

You will love it! We all do!
    Gritz
  • bensomibensomi Member Posts: 10
    you're right - 240hp!!! It was 215hp before I think.
    it was around 170 hp before...a significant difference, although still a good engine with lots of torque.
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    Recirc is fine when you're trying to warm or cool the vehicle quickly but I personnaly wouldn't want to drive for long distances this way - without fresh air make-up ...
    Actually COUIMET, I use Recirculate just the opposite. I leave it on all the time because this uses the same air rather that having to bring in new air & cool it over & over again. This helps w/ fuel economy because your air conditioner doesn't have to work as hard (although very little I'm sure). On long trips I occasionally turn the Recirculate off & let some fresh air in before turning it back on for a while. Just my 2 cents, both ways are right...
    OK as long as nobody ate chilli for lunch!! I find that with more than one person in the truck, the air starts getting stale pretty fast on recirc...and in the winter the windows won't defog...
    My point exactly Phil47 ...

With Recirc on, oxygen is only being replenished through leaks. And, Carbon Monoxide and Dioxide and odours go up ...
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I put my recirc on when I'm driving behind (or relatively close to) beaters that spew those god-awful black and/or blue smoke. Here in Florida, there seems to be an abundance of those vehicles here as there is no state inspection and one can pretty much register any vehicle as long as it runs.

And with our Florida hot summers, recirculate really cools the engine down fast. Actually, I find that if I let fresh air in, the cabin becomes warmer. Without any rear vents, my kids perspire quickly. Recirc fixes that for me.
    Hey COUIMENT, you have Carbon Monoxide in your car? Thought that's what the exhaust system does. Didn't know recirculate would let CO in. Might want to get that checked out, kinda dangerous. I've also never heard of anyone dying in a vehicle with recirculate on from a lack of oxygen. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the Oxygen concentration is still the normal 20.9% :-P
    It's pretty rare to find PF owners slagging each other...we're better known for getting along!

Most owner's manuals state that recirc is good to quickly heat up or cool down a vehicle (or avoid someone's poor exhaust emissions) but to avoid extended driving like that (I'm not sure about the PF manual, buy my 2001 Honda Odyssey manual sez somthing to that effect). Of course some fresh air is entering the vehicle even under recirc, but not nearly as much as when it is off. With 3 or 4 adults in the vehicle, I'm willing to bet the % O2 will drop.

Incidentally, I just found some billet grilles for 2000-2003 PFs at grille-tech.com. They look pretty good. Anybody use this outfit (or installed these grilles?). I'd like to get something installed before Winter when the gravel starts flying again (my rad looks like a war zone).
  • davids14davids14 Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I just test drove a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Se. We have a few questions that we would like to ask those who own a similar Pathfinder.

The ride seemed pretty bumpy, is that normal for Pathfinders? Every bump, joint, man-hole cover seemed as though it could be felt. Also when pulling up at traffic lights the bumpy asphalt (from heat during the summer) seemed to be felt easily and it would kind of rock back and fourth over it.

The steering also seemed to be affected a little bit by bumps and man holes. It would lose its track a little bit.

Overall we liked it, but we just would like to know if this is how all Pathfinders are.

Thanks for your time
    I suppose it depends on what you're sed to driving but one thing to check is tire pressures. I had a similar issue with my 2000 SE delivered with 45 psi! Resetting to 32 psi solved my problem ...
  • davids14davids14 Member Posts: 4
    I did check that. I mentioned that to the salesman and we brought it over to the service bay and we did check out the PSI. It showed it at 30psi (on each tire) as the door sticker said.
    Go ahead, leave it on Recirc ...
    Huh? It works for me...

http://dean.thayer.net/off-road/upgrades/tcaseskid/

Regarding recirc mode vs fresh air mode, I seriously doubt that hazardous gas levels are going to be an issue with continuous use of recirculate mode. The Pathfinder is hardly air-tight! What if you don't turn on the vents at all? I mean, come on, do you really think you're gonna suffocate because you're not sucking fresh air from the outside?

I nearly always run with the vents set to "fresh" air because, well, fresh air is nicer.... right? :) It helps keep from making the air feel 'stuffy' and keeps humidity down. It's also quieter to use than recirc mode and it really helps when you've got some passengers with strong BO. ;) j/k...

Anyway, on really hot days or when I have drive in very dusty conditions (such as off-road), I run with "recirc" full-time. On especially hot days, its actually better to run the AC in recirc mode because the interior air temp will be lower than the exterior air temp. Same goes for really cold days- your heater does a better job heating warmed-up interior air than outside air.

I've never felt dizzy, short-of-breath, etc. due to lack of oxygen or excess of CO or CO2 when using recirc for extended periods of time. Moreover, I notice that the air tends to feel "sticky" after a while, mostly due to buildup of humidity. But it sure beats having dust blow all throughout the cabin!

Just my .02 guys.