Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• lancearmstronglancearmstrong Member Posts: 38
    Are you sure you weren't test driving an Xterra?! Your description of the ride is so unlike the PF. My '02 is fairly firm but smooooooth. You should ask to drive a different PF to see if the one you tested was messed up.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I'm not sure if you were speaking of me when you were talking about "PF owners slagging each other" but just so everyone knows, especially COUIMET, I was just having a little fun with him. The mere fact that two PF owners have different opinions doesn't mean they're "slagging each other." My reason for using recirc so much is economy. I think of it like a house. Can you imagine if your air conditioner constantly pulled hot air from the outside in rather than re-use cool air already in the house? Others will say prolonged use can cause stale air & window fogging & this can happen. When it does, I turn recirc off. All I'm saying is I do it my way for good reasons & he does it his way for good reasons.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    smokey,

Just FYI, using the recirc function offers virtually no fuel economy advantage. Your "good reason" is based on some incorrect assumptions. Your comparison with home-based AC units assumes that there is a comparable power savings associated with the automotive AC unit.

While I'm not suggesting you alter your use of the recirc button, I thought you might like to know that the AC compressor (which can rob your engine of power) runs whenever the AC is turned on - independently of the position of the "recirc/fresh" button.

Unlike a home AC unit, whose operation is controlled by a thermostat (and air is always recirculated from within the home), temperature control in an automobile is controlled by mixing hot air from the heater core with cool air that passes through the AC evaporator fins, not by activating/deactivating the compressor. Recirc, however, is very useful for maximizing the efficiency of the heater/AC because it can intake air that is more similar in temperature to the desired temp.

So, you may think you're saving gas, but in reality there is negligible difference.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    There are hardly any problems to worry about in the Pathfinder so we discuss little things like the recirculate functionality of the AC. I'm really glad that the Pathfinder is trouble-free.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    Yeah, I think that the ticker-noisy-thingy on the turn signal could be a little quieter...and maybe they could set the blinker-thingy-maa-job-e so it blinks a bit slower. Ha!!! ;-)

Dean-
    Thanks, I was looking under the "Parts and Accesories" section and the frame on right had that message.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    You're right..."slagging" was really too hard a term...maybe I was just trying to prevent it getting nasty. I guess it's just so rare to see dissagreements pop up :-)
    Hey XPLORX4, I have to disagree that you say the AC compressor runs the entire time AC is selected. If you listen you can hear it cycling on & off to cool the air. Besides, this wasn't my idea, I read it somewhere... I think Consumer Reports. Their theory was that because the AC is a drag to the engine (especially in a small 4 banger like the Accent) using recir resulted in better fuel economy.
    I guess I should have qualified my previous statement. I believe your understanding is correct for smaller engines. For example, my wife's 93 Honda Accord cycles the AC compressor, but my 97 Pathfinder does not. Maybe your Pathfinder's AC system is different than mine though.

I recently replaced the stock belt-driven fan with an electric fan. The electric fan has a circuit that taps into the AC compressor activation lead, so that when the AC is on, the fan turns on with it.

Since installing the fan, I've noticed that it never shuts off (cycles on/off) when the AC is on. Perhaps it has something to do with ambient air temperature... I'll have to experiment when the weather is cooler (< 60F)

At any rate, the difference in fuel economy on the Pathfinder (esp. the 3.5L) would be negligible for recirc vs fresh, even if the compressor does cycle on/off. You're more likely to see a bigger improvement by reducing your freeway cruising speed by 5 mph.
  • mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    When I am coasting, yet gaining speed slowly (on a slight hill) when it switches from 1st to 2nd the change in gear is harsh.

Sometimes (about 1/2 the time) when I release the gas pedal (gradually) to brake, the car stutters when I release the gas pedal.

Lastly, sometimes when I am in Park, then go to reverse it is harsh on the driveline.

All 3 of these are on my 02 SE. Anyone have any suggestions for these things?
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    that it is trouble free. Some (like tloke1) have been trying to mislead people saying that it is not.
  • drbigzdrbigz Member Posts: 21
    My car has been pulling towards the left ever since I've bought it. I've had it aligned three times already (dealer did it before I bought it, and brake check did it twice) but it still doesn't align. Could something else be wrong? Should I get the dealer to replace my tires and rotors? And also my car shakes when I'm turning and braking at the same time. What should I do?
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    The jittery test drive may be due to tire pressures still at their transportation setting of 45 psi. Nissan recommends 26 but I prefer 32 ...
    Hey DRBIGZ, not to insult your intelligence but are you sure your vehicle isn't pulling to the left because of the crown of the road (for drainage)? A friend of mine used to be a dealership mechanic & he said they had a lot of people complaining of alignment problems but that's all it was. Just a thought...
    1st to 2nd - First gear is geared pretty low, while 2nd gear is geared somewhat high, so, depending on the throttle position, the shift could be considered less than "silky smooth". Transmission shifting on the Pathfinder is not undetectable. Plus, unless your foot is completely off the gas pedal, you're not coasting. Shifting between 1st and 2nd occurs at very low speeds if the vehicle is acclerating without driver intervention. Since you're feeling the shift I must assume you're applying throttle.

Stuttering at 1/2 throttle - is the engine actually stuttering or does it feel more like engine braking is taking effect?

Park to Reverse - Does it give you whiplash? If not, it's normal.

It sounds like most of the things you're describing can be partially contributed to low engine/transmission temps. The transmission sometimes doesn't shift "smoothly" until it's fully warmed up. Add to that the fact that the engine revs higher when cold, and you'll get a more defined shift between P and R. In most cases, the transmission takes much longer to warm up than the engine does.

You still getting a good workout from your steering wheel when braking? ;)
    On my way home from work everyday, part of the commute takes me through an area where I have about 5 stop signs, all one block away from each other. Most of this part of the commute is down hill, and after accelerating a little bit to get up to speed (15-20mph) I release the gas pedal fully as I am about 1/2 way to the next stop sign and I do not need any more speed. Around this time after I release the gas pedal I can feel it shift, I think from 1st and 2nd. I'm not sure the best way to describe it, but I would say it almost seems like a clunk when it shifts. Much harder than say when I am accelerating in normal traffic.

The stuttering that I mentioned is about 1/2 - 1/3 of the time after I release the gas pedal fully. Not when I am applying throttle.

Park to reverse, no whiplash, but still rather harsh. The engine is warmed up I know, but the transmission probably is not. However, even after driving for 20 minutes sometimes when I go to shift into reverse or something else it does clunk and is rather loud.

For engine temp, I go by the gauge. In the morning it is always down at the lowest reading, but I take it very easy until it warms up. If I am out running errands, the engine and transmission should both be warm after a stop of only 15 min or so. Still does it sometimes.

What it boils down to is there is significant friction when changing from park->reverse->drive, but besides that it also seems harsh on the rest of the driveline. And low speed gear switching (when no throttle is being applied) also is rather harsh.

The steering is fine now, thanks :-)
    My comment about an Xterra was just to indicate that your description of the 03 Pathfinder ride sounds uncharacteristic of the "usual" Pathfinder ride. I'm quite sure you knew what you were driving.

The PF just rides so much better than Xterra, 4Runner, etc., which have a body-on-frame trucklike suspension. I suppose if you're used to driving a Lexus sedan or something, the PF might seem rough. Otherwise, something was amiss, such as tire pressure.
    I am contemplating replacing my 16" OEM wheels with the 15" Xterra wheels. I have checked the specs on the OEM 255/65/16 PF tires and the 265/70/15 Xterra tires and found them to be very close to the same overall diameter and approximately 1/2 inch wider at the widest part of the tire.

Does anybody know whether there might be rubbing, rim offset, or other problems with this type of swap?
    The Pathfinder is a smooth riding "truck". But it is a truck. Your assessment of the ride may be relative to what you normally drive - what is that?
    Why?
    As I pointed out, one's assessment of the PF ride depends upon what you're comparing the ride to. If you drive a Lexus sedan, then the PF seems rough. If you drive a "truck," then the PF is relatively smooth. If you compare the PF to most other mid-size sport utes, including 4Runners and Xterras, it's smooth.

15 inch rims have several advantages, including better off-road ride and wheel protection, more tire options, less expensive tire options, and better looks (a matter of opinion, I know).
    I'm looking to replace my stock Toyo's on my 02 SE with new tires.

I'm concerned about rubbing with 255/70 16's?

The stock tires are 255/65 16's, but I am looking at the Cross Terrian's by Michilen and I can't seem to find them in that size.
    Matt, TireRack.com has them in 255/65/16, but they're on back order. Also, Michelin makes the 4X4 XPC, LTX M/S, and the 4X4 Alpins in 255/65/16.
  • brisoupbrisoup Member Posts: 56
    The clunk you are hearing is probably coming from you rear differential. My 2002 LE also occasionally makes a very slight clunking sound from the rear differential during stop sign to stop sign driving. It does it alot less now then it was new (I now have 4500 miles on it).I've come to the assumption this is a normal trait of this vehicle. I had a 1988 cougar that did this but was ALOT worse. As far as the lurching when you put your truck in reverse- My truck also lurches slightly when I put it into reverse. Again this is also a trait of these trucks.If the truck is anything above the normal idle the lurching will become far worse.(such as starting the truck and then imediatly throwing it in reverse or putting it in reverse during a cold idle. I let my truck warm up 2-3 minutes before putting it in gear. Overall I'm very happy with my truck and I'm Known to nit-pick any new vehicle I purchase.I hope over-time you become more adapted to your truck and you become more happy with it.
    Has anyone ever used a rinse agent in their "rinse cycle" when washing their car? Something like used in dishwashers to prevent spots. Is there a similar product for car washes?
    Mattman,

Sears had the Cross Terrains in 255/65/16 advertised in Sunday's paper too. I think they were $158/tire.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    Last winter, in an effort to find separate rims for dedicated winter tires, I had located a number of 15" 'take-off' rims at a Nissan dealership. I asked to dealer to fit one to a 2001 Pathfinder, which they did, only to report a problem with the disc brake caliper. You may want to have another dealer verify.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    We are running 265/70R16's on our '01 SE w/ VERY minimal rubbing when in reverse @ full steering wheel lock each direction. You should be ok. The only part that rubs is a tiny little flap of plastic way on the inside of the wheel wells.
    gritz
  • airman72airman72 Member Posts: 19
    I have a '02 SE 4x4 V6 PF, and I wanted to do the oil change myself. But I had difficulty locating the oil filter. From the position graph in the owner's manual, it seems to be covered by the underbody cover. So do I have to take the cover out to change the oil filter? Or am I missing something?
  • junowjunow Member Posts: 4
    Nissan just stoped making Terrano(Pathfinder) in Japan recently. Terrano is currenlty under clearance. How about the US?
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    Where did you get this information from?
    Nissan just stoped making Terrano(Pathfinder) in Japan recently. Terrano is currenlty under clearance. How about the US?
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Yes, if the '02 is like the '01, you have to remove the plastic shield. There're about 10-12 small bolts. After that, it's a cinch.
    Terrano is completely different vechile it's not a Pathfinder.
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    pathfinder13: If you look in Nissan Matrix you will find that Terrano IS the same. Terrano is the Japanese market name for the Pathfinder.
  • kaczor1kaczor1 Member Posts: 14
    Yesterday, while driving, I began to hear a strange noise coming from the back end of the Pathfinder. It almost sounded like something was hitting somewhere under the rear. At first sounded like it was coming from the drivers side fender well, then sounded like it was coming from the middle of the rear end. Anyone have any ideas? It was thinking perhaps a universal joint? If so, would it be covered under warranty? The only other thing I could think of was may bearings going bad? Any help would be appreciated. I checked the spare tire to make sure it was all secure, and all tires also look good.
  • yoeddyyoeddy Member Posts: 46
    I'm looking to replace the stock foglight bulbs on my '01 QX4. I'm looking at PIAA's Extreme White and Super Plasma H3 bulbs. Anyone have any comments on the two types of bulbs?

Thanks
    Tony
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    Welcome to the most fun hour in car repair...Crawl under the front of car...Lay on your back and remove '10' screws on 'fiberglas skid plate'...and there it is, right in front...I'm assuming you will be putting your car up on a ramp...Go with one of the larger oil filters by Fram...Having done 5 of them on my '01 QX4, no big deal...
    http://www.nissan.co.jp/TERRANO/R50/0109/

if you read japanese, it says they no longer make terrano/regulus.

• meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    I wish Nissan would import the X-Trail!
    Does anyone know how to remove the roofrack in 2002 Pathfinder LE. I am wondering does can it be removed easily and before removing it do i have to know anything that is important.
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    Here's what AltaVista Babelfish gave when I submitted the text underneath the Terrano pictures

"Production of the tera- no * tera- no leg lath ended. Because becomes only stock sale, as for details please inquire at the nearby dealership"

I think the Pathfinder is either on the way out or ready for a major redesign. I wonder why they stop production so early in the model-year. Could we get a new model as a 2003.5 like they did in 1995.

I'm shopping for a Pahtfinder (amongst other cars) and the Nissan dealers are very easy to bring the prices down and the financing is very low. This must be a sign.

World
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    ...we might see the new Pathfinder at the 2003 Detroit Auto Show come January??? The 2001 Pathfinder was introduced there when they stuffed the 3.5L VQ engine.
  • lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    I want to put synthetic oil in my transmission but I'm not sure what kind of oil it takes. Does anybody know if the manual trans takes gear oil or transmission oil? If it takes gear oil, what weight is recommended?
  • 9erslant9erslant Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy an early 90's Pathfinder (90-93) with mileage between 100-150k and am looking for advice about what to watch out for. What kinds of problems start showing up and what type of maintenance and repair should have been performed by the sellers? Thanks!
    Hey LSPANGLER1, check your manual & it should tell you what fluid. But, what year PF do you have? If you don't have the manual I can look it up.
  • mike1975smike1975s Member Posts: 1
    I had a 1999 LE and the lease was up and just leased a 2002 LE, its really great, one question thought. The CD player seems to have problems playing CDs that I create on my CD Burner. Sometimes it plays it, sometimes it doesnt , sometimes it skips. Normal CDs are fine. I was told maybe the quality of the CD may have something to do with it. Anyone have this problem?
  • pf01pf01 Member Posts: 35
    A full size Nissan SUV will be produced along with the Infiniti full size SUV. They will share the body-on-frame platform and a possible 5 liter V8. Both will be built in the brand new $1 billion Nissan factory in Mississippi.
    I hope Automobile(July, p.22) is right.
  • path63path63 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone recently purchased a 2002 or 2003SE Pathfinder with the popular package in the NY/NJ area? If so what was your best lease or purchase price?
  • brisoupbrisoup Member Posts: 56
    Mike1975, I also play burned cd's in my 2002 LE
    with no problems. But I use only high quality cd's like Maxell or Sony. I also do not put any type of stickers on the cd.
  • kjwinckjwinc Member Posts: 1
    found a new 2003 pathfinder LE, sticker price $34,600. an iowa dealer has priced it at $31,800. any input on whether that's a good/competitive price? thanks for your advice.