Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• onboost91onboost91 Member Posts: 86
    I'm excited to be picking up a 2002 LE today. I cross-shopped it with the 2002 Ford Explorer (I get big discounts since I work for a Ford & GM supplier) and the Toyota Highlander. To me the Explorer seemed kind of cheap and it was a bit taller and bigger than I wanted and reliability is always in question. The Highlander is nice obviously but my wife greatly disliked some of the color characteristics of the interior. She is an artist and thus cringed at the tan seats, brown wood trim and black door panels. Why they dont offer a black interior is beyond me. Toyota isnt offering any incentives on it right now since its such a good seller. I've also heard that the AWD in the Highlander and RX300 is really barely AWD and may not offer the all weather confidence I was looking for.

We fell in love with the Pathfinder as soon as we sat in it. The LE had the classiest and most rich looking interior of the bunch. The Pathfinder was also "sized" comfortably. I didnt feel like I was driving a boat. My only complaint based on the test drive is that the power seats are very high and that coupled with a steering wheel that doesnt tilt very high and seats that dont back far enough far makes for tight leg clearance with the steering wheel. The clearance was actually better in the non-power seat Pathfinders. I'm 6'1 and had no problems with head room, however (even with the sunroof).

The Bayshore Blue LE we are getting includes:
    Leather Package
    Limited Slip
    Body Moulding
    Micro Filter
    Tow Package
    MSRP $34999.

We are purchasing it for $30,353 before Tax. This price includes a $1k dealer rebate and 3.9% financing for 60 months.
  • canonstvcanonstv Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Southern California, Lakewood to be exact, I would like to know if anyone has purchased a 2003 nissan pathfinder 2wd/4dr suv in the area that has paid the "edmunds TMV." Thank you in advance.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    We use home-made CD's in ours as well.
    Try lowering your burn speed.
    Gritz
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    I've spoken to a company that is willing to make aftermarket accessories for the current-gen Pathfinders (aka "R50" body style). The company specializes in products designed for the off-road enthusiast, so stuff like "clear tail lights" and "seat covers" doesn't count.

I'm curious to find out what kinds of things are more greatly desired among Pathfinder owners here.

Some things I've thought of are:
    * a better solution to the "bottoming out" problem
    * stronger front skid plate
    * other undercarriage skid plates (t-case, gas tank)
    * adjustable struts (includes the ability to adjust spring rate, damping, and also has camber adjustments)
    * 2" to 4" lift kits (to allow fitment of larger wheels/tires)
    * 2" lowering kit
    * rocker-panel protection (aka "rock sliders")

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    Sorry I'm a little late on the reply.

I run 255/70r16s on my '99.5 XE with slight rubbing. But, the XE has a little less offset than the SE and LE, so you shouldn't have any trouble at all with the 255/70's on your truck. As bgritz said, you could probably even go to the 265/70 if you wanted to.
  • mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    thanks. its been rainy here all day and will continue to be until saturday (like the rest of the east coast).

so far today/tonight it has felt resonably stable on the road and highway in the rain. we haven't been getting much rain here lately however a few times it did feel kind of unstable.

i think i am going to stick with the stock tire size, although i might go with a little bit higher profile (255/70/16) depending on availablity.

i'm not sure how the tires i have will do in the winter, I can't even find the tires listed on toyo's website.

the ones i have now are toyo radial tranpath's. not listed at all on their site, i have very little info to go by. i probably will give them a call tommorow to find some info, but i have a feeling $600 or so for a nice set of Cross Terrian's might be a worthy investment.
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    It would be great if I could lower my pathy, and put wider tires...can u help me for this. Do u know any place where they do for late model pathfinder, By the way I am in los angeles.
  • lancearmstronglancearmstrong Member Posts: 38
    Matt, believe it or not, those tires got pretty good all around marks from Consumer Reports for light truck/SUV tires. You should continue to run them and see how they do.

PF13, the roof rack removal is a cinch, but you need a set of torx screwdrivers for removal. Just start with the end caps and remove the screws in them, then you can take off the tracks. Keep in mind that there will be screw holes exposed on the roof.

I'm curious, however, why you would want to remove it? If you do remove it and want to sell it, let me know.
  • hutch85hutch85 Member Posts: 8
    Hey Xplorx4, that's good news about a potential aftermarket manufacturer - I'll cross my fingers :)

I think you covered all my interests in terms of accessories.

Regards,
    Mike
    Lancearmstrong, I am removing because I don't like the roof rack in Pathfinder. By the way I just removed the crossbars not the whole thing. If you want to buy those cross bar I will be happy to sell it. Now the pathfinder looks wider and smaller and I like the way it looks now.
  • isguyisguy Member Posts: 13
    What did you need to just remove the crossbars?
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Will it reduce wind noise a little?
  • jilla568jilla568 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Pathfinder LE and love it! With the 3.9% financing I am considering buying a new 2002 LE.

I can pay off my loan for $20,812
    The dealer trade-in value is $22,000
    My current monthly payment is $595
    I think it was 6.9% and started 12/01 so I've paid 21 months = $12,495

I can buy a new 2002 (not 2003) for $31,637 with $1000 customer allowance
    If I borrow $30,000 at 3.9% for 60 months the monthly payment is $551

Should I do this??? Does it make sense? Any advice?!

Thanks!
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    ... but it seems that the only difference between the 2001 and the 2002 are the 17" rims and maybe some not really important stuff. To me, it was not worth getting the 2002. Now, the 2003 looks to be quite different especially now that it offers Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control, which aids in a potential rollover situation (not that we PF owners gun that 3.5L VQ engine and encounter an evasive manuever situation, but hey, just in case we did).

However, if you're looking at lowering your monthly payments, you have to take into account how much equity are you really losing/gaining -- what was your downpayment and how much is the difference between that and the difference between what the dealer is offering for a trade-in and what you owe. If you're making more money than your downpayment, it might be OK. But, don't forget the interest you've already paid and what you're going to pay when you purchase a new 2002 PF LE.
  • airman72airman72 Member Posts: 19
    Compared to Highlander, PF is really making a lot more wind noises. Is there anything we can do to reduce the noise? I doubt that removing the roof rack or crossbar would help.

Also as I noticed, the transmission shift is not smooth at low speed. I always feel like the truck being kicked from behind when I stop-and-go.

Just owned a '02 PF for a month, feel happy about it otherwise.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    I have a Canadian Pathfinder XE, and removed the factory rack shortly after I purchased the vehicle. I removed the end caps at the tailgate end, slid the Nissan rack off. I then slid in the 'feet' for the Yakima locking railriders, fastened them at the appropriate location, then re-installed the end caps. I have a kayak, ski and bike attachments for my Yakima rack, and normally have no rack installed, but can readily install it in about 3 minutes, with the appropriate attachment. Works well, more substantial than the factory rack and no wind noise when rack not on vehicle.

Rick
    After removing cross bars I found out that the wind noise has been less compare to before. Today, I met this guy with new infinti, when he saw my 2002 pathy without cross bars, he loved it the way it looked. So, guess what he removed his cross bars and threww inside his cargo and went driving home...
    I removed my 02 QX4's crossbar and also found wind noise is less. Will try hiway drive and compare. I almost never use crossbars so no need to always have them on.
  • sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    had crossbars removed on 02 le as part of purchase. i read about windnoise about 2000 discusssions back. went to fla and back about 2000 mi. and did not have any windnoise. last 2 4runners i had, i ordered without roofrack. parked mine beside friends exactly same color,and mine looked much sleeker and not so topheavy. just my opinon. also easier to wash and polish.
  • csantamariacsantamaria Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone. I just bought a used 94 Path, 81Kmiles. My sister was driving it up from NJ to VT for me. Long story short = after stopping for gas, the anti-theft system activated when she opened the driver's door. We don't know how to deactivate the alarm, or how to disable it. Now it is stranded in NY. Any suggestions would be truly appreciated. Thanks.
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    Don't know but unwrap th owners manual and look for a Nissan phone number ...
    At highway speed I found the wind noise is caused more by A pillar and mirror, so with or without crossbars does not make any significant difference.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I have an 01 LE w/ 19k. About a week ago I started noticing a humming sound that begins at about 35mph that seems to be comming from the front end. I had the same sound come from a car I had a few years ago that ended up being a wheel bearing. The sound seems to change a little when going left to right. I wonder if I have a bearing going bad. Seems awful soon to have a bearing go bad. I guess #$^% happens. I scheduled an appointment at the dealer next Fri. so we will see what happens.
  • lanceg1lanceg1 Member Posts: 3
    After being a Chevrolet direhard for years, I traded in my 96 Tahoe for a 2002 Pathfinder. Got tired of knowing the service manager on a first name basis. My Dad and Grandfather may roll over in their graves and the state of Texas may call me a trader, but for once I feel like I'm driving a reliable quality vehicle. I love this SUV!

Sorry GM: I defended you on this forum for years, but you let me down!

Former GM Direhard- Lance
    What's wrong with 2002 Pathfinder Le? Six 'month ago I changed my 2002 pathfinder Se with pathfinder LE, but SE mever had any rattling or dash noises. My 2002 LE seems to have lot of rattling and clicking especially from the dash, steering wheel, cargo area and driver side seat belt. It's really annoying when I hear this noises. Does anyone have this problem. Other than that I love this vechile.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...and the state of Texas may call me a trader...

Does Texas have something against commerce?? ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    lanceg1, our new convert, might have meant traitor. Welcome to Pathfinder ownership, lanceg1! I think that you'll miss those visits to the service bays with this vehicle.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    you traded a 2002 SE for an 2002 LE...why? It's practically the same vehicle! Hello... ; )
    maybe he didn't like the roof rack, or maybe he wanted a little rotary switch instead of a lever for the 4wd?

seems kind of foolish to me too, but hey, its only money
  • foghorn48foghorn48 Member Posts: 65
    Been away from this forum for awhile, so forgive me if this has been addressed. Anyone have any info on the next generation Pathfinder, like whne we might see it or major changes? Seems like with the competition stepping up that Nissan might need to answer the challenges of new models from Toyota, Honda, GM, Ford and Jeep etc.... Thanks in advance for any and all info.
  • cj724cj724 Member Posts: 13
    I heard that Nissan will have a new full size SUV (2004 model) due out in the fall of 2003. I'm not sure if it will be called a Pathfinder or if it will have a new name.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    try this link. There seems to be quite a bit of discussion/people who have modded the Pathy in the ways you are looking at. look in the 96+ section

http://www2.4x4parts.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi

Can anybody tell me the advantages and disadvantages about Lowering the vechile. I am thinking of lowering my pathfinder around 2 inches.
    Advantages - lower center of gravity, better stability, better cornering, better handling, easier to enter/exit vehicle, and depending on the eyes of the beholder, "better looking"

Disadvantages- waste of the 4WD option (if equipped), worse ground clearance, possibly a stiffer ride (ever watched a lowered Integra or Civic drive over freeway expansion joints?), criticism from the other camp who think that lowered SUV owners should be shot... image

Just PLEASE don't put a coffee-can tailpipe on your truck...image

I don't have 4wd that's why I wanted to lower 2 inches.
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    Advantages - also, better fuel economy (usually).

You do have to be very careful that you don't mess up the suspension. It can get downright dangerous if you don't know exactly what you're doing. The fact that we only have one joint from the steering rack assy. to each wheel with no compensation arm would make me nervous about messing with the suspension geometry.
    compensation arm? What's that?

Another thing you'll have to use with a suspension modification is camber adjustment bolts
    to bring the alignment back into spec.

Here's a pic:

• nyguynyguy Member Posts: 6
    I need some advise regarding purchasing 4x2 or 4x4. The Pathfinder 4x2 is rear wheel drive, since I live in New York; my concern is that it wouldn't do well in the snow. Does anyone have any experience with the 4x2 regarding this issue?
    I have a 4X2 and I think that I've slipped a couple of times on slick roads (during a rainy day in FL). It could also be due to the tires, I have the Bridgestones. However, with All-Mode AWD, the front wheels will likely compensate for the slip. The 2003 models now have VDC and TCS which is a great addition.
  • brisoupbrisoup Member Posts: 56
    If I was you I would definetly get a 4X4 due to the fact you live in a area that gets a decent amount of snow. Since the 4x2 Pathy is rear wheel drive you stand the risk of getting stuck in deep snow.I personally would not get a SUV without 4WD because we sometimes get a fair amount of snow (I live in the Philly area.)
  • robin96robin96 Member Posts: 1
    When I step on the accelerator from a stop, their is a lag before the pedal engages. It acts as if their is a dead spot or binding in the linkage. Any ideas? Otherwise, I love my 97 4X4 Pathy.
    Maybe throttle cable is too loose? If yes then it's easy to tighten.
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    Other than making the Leather Package standard and eliminating the Limited-Slip Dif. option in favor of the new Dynamic Control Package, are there any other major non-entertainment differences between the two years? Any exterior design or interior design changes? If not, looks like I could save $4,000 going with the '02.

Also, what are the rebates and incentives in the Central Atlantic region on '02 Pathfinders? Toyota is giving 1,000 customer cash and $500 dealer cash on top of selling the 4Runner at sticker invoice. Edmund's has no listing for Nissan. Does anyone know what, if any, rebates/special financing they have in this area and whether they are selling the '02s at invoice as well? Be curious what someone paid for a loaded 4WD LE with Leather and Lim. Slip around here . . . THX!!!
    Other than roof racks and boards, is the only major difference between the loaded '03 SE and LE the fact that the latter has 17" wheels and the former is restricted to 16" wheels?
    I noticed the biggest interior design difference is the dash area. 03 has the same design as QX4, which is much nicer looking. Also the rear handles on the door frame has changed their location a little.
    New 4 spoke steering wheel. Jiamin is right the interior looks exactly same as QX4 infact the wood trims are also layed out the same way in Le model.
    Does any body know if we can install dynamic control package in 2002 pathfinder.
    With dynamic control package, floor mats, in-cabin microfilter, body side moldings, and tow hitch class III for total price of $31,400! (with only T/T/T to pay on top of that). Should I buy??? - only a few hundreds more than the '02s it seems . . .
    that seems like a pretty good deal to me for a 4x4. thats about 2-3 k off sticker.
    - why would the '03s be as cheap as the '02s??? They are 1,400 under invoice plus 400 for marketing - no other processing fees or dealer ad-ons. Is this what you guys are finding out there? I have been a 3-year follower/participant at the 4Runner board, bit I am converting (some call it sellin out) real quick . . . anyone out there buy an '03 recently?? Based on what you faced, should I jump on this or hold off and shop around? They are offering 3.9% over 5 years.