Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• drbigzdrbigz Member Posts: 21
    There's been a long discussion on this and Ii'm trying to figure out what is it. Is this when your Path's back tires will lose grip and skid if you accelerate while making a turn after a full stop? This happens to my car a lot and I have to be extra careful when making turns after a cimplete stop like at a stop light.
  • onboost91onboost91 Member Posts: 86
    Whoa! Sounds like you are just being a little too heavy on the gas! Ease that throttle down don't mash it to the floor!

The bottoming out is something different. When you load up the cargo and rear passenger area and then go over bumps the suspension will bottom out with a thunk and provide a very harsh ride. The soft suspension is apparently the culprit. There is a service bulletin out there that you can take advantage of to get this fixed for free by the dealer.
  • andy1961andy1961 Member Posts: 32
    I've had only limited seat time since the fix, but the modification does seem to make a difference. Speed bumps taken aggressively don't seem to cause the same unpleasant "bottoming" sensation.

The real test will be bringing home the snow blower in a couple of weeks.

AW

As a side note, Tirerack is having special promotion on BFGoodrich Open Trail T/A in the 245-70-16 size for $54 black wall, or $64 white outline lettered. I ordered a set from Lee at ext. 238 and she was very helpful. No connection with the company, just a satisfied customer.
  • j3lemonsj3lemons Member Posts: 2
    SUV has 104K in good condition, last Nissan was 89 Maxima went over 200K, seller asking 5K, don't know much about this vehicle, know Nissan's are strong performers, any one have experience with 1994 Pathfinder?? Any significant problems with the '94??

Thanks.

JL
  • sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    toothbrush and amorall will take it off, and leaves trim looking like new.
  • kaczor1kaczor1 Member Posts: 14
    Can someone please give me the TSB numbers for the bottoming out issue and the tempreture gauge? I would like to have it before approaching my dealer.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    You can also go to www.nhtsa.gov and find the TSBs there. That is, unless, those TSB numbers are not accurate. I just printed the ones from there and will show it to my dealer on my next visit (sorry, I don't have them in front of me right now - left them in the PF so that I won't forget).
  • bulgokeebulgokee Member Posts: 36
    To andy1961 & others who have gotten their 2002 Pathfinders fixed, did the dealership know about the TSB beforehand?

Here's why I ask: I went to the dealership for an oil change today, and played dumb about the rear suspension TSB. I told them I heard of a possible problem and asked them to do research. WHen I returned to pick up my car, I was informed that there are NO service bulletins for the 2002 Pathfinder. I got so pissed that I asked them to check the nhsta.com website and get back to me.

Now on another issue: Has any 2002 Pathfinder owners noticed a decrease in fuel economy during cold weather? Here on the east coast, the past three weeks have gotten downright chilly (Day temps around 50 F). During the summertime I averaged 16 mpg and now it's about 14 mpg in the cold. I know there's a TSB on this but the idiots at the dealership seem to know nothing!!
  • mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    what year is your pathfinder, and what brand/model tires do you have on them?
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    Why not just print out the TSB's and just take them to the dealer? Sure, they should know that the TSB's exist and what they are but what purpose does it prove to show that they are not up to speed. Now if your doing research and trying to compare dealers or manufacturers for how knowlegeable they are, then thats one thing. Don't you really just want to get your Pathfinder fixed. If you are doing research, share the results with us when you have surveyed all of the dealers.
  • smibradsmibrad Member Posts: 34
    I had the fix installed for bottoming out on my 2001 Le this week. When I called the dealer to schedule the appointment they didn't know about the fix. But they looked it up and called me back in 15 minutes and scheduled the appointment with no problems. I was at the dealers for about 30 minutes to have the fix installed. I watched what the mechanic did. He removed a bumper from around the spring area and replaced it with a new yellow bumper. It looked a little larger than the old one. I have not noticed any difference in ride and the height of the back of the PF is the same. I have not had the PF loaded down with gear yet to see if I notice a difference. I keep you posted.
    My dealer was able to access the TSBs once I told him about their existence, apparently they have an online system keyed off your VIN. Would they have found them without my mentioning them is uncertain, though it's not unreasonable to expect that level of diagnostic research.

I would not expect the dealer service to automatically perform any TSBs unless you report the specific problem stated on the TSB.

I'm getting the updated temp sensor display installed on Monday.

AW
    I could find a specific TSB on this issue.

My mileage is also down, but I attribute it to cold weather start ups and oxygenated gasoline.

AW
  • drbigzdrbigz Member Posts: 21
    2001 LE
    Bridgestone Dueler H/T 255/65/16
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    Hi Y'all:

2001 SE AWD owner here. Generally happy with the truck. Are the TSB's applicable in Canada? The temperature is always reading too warm. I haven't experienced bottoming out but should probably have it fixed before the 3 year warranty is up.
  • bulgokeebulgokee Member Posts: 36
    bigorange30,

Not really playing "the game." The purpose of my question was to gauge how knowledgeable the service rep at the dealer is. How many times have you taken your car to the dealership for routine service and then gotten a phone call later in the day with the line: "... during the service, the mechanic found the following ... " If the service reps are fairly knowledgeable, I feel that I can "trust" them more when I get that call. The other purpose of the question was that a lot of the service reps are new. I have purchased several vehicles at this dealership, and since I've purchased my 2002 pathfinder, they've had way too many changes in their service department.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    ...besides that BIGORANGE30, it's not as simple as just printing out the TSBs. You have to order them for $30-$40. I have a problem doing that when you know for a fact the dealership has them & just doesn't know about it. I took mine in for the bottoming out TSB & the temp display TSB, in addition to a steering wheel that squeaks when you turn it. When I picked it up they told me they had to order the new spring bumper for the bottoming out & that the tech checked the temp display with Consult II (Nissan's diagnostic reader) & that there were no problems with it. When I got home I called Nissan corporate & asked for a copy of the temp TSB. He said he couldn't send a copy but read the entire thing for me over the phone. As someone mentioned earlier on here, it calls for a new temp module to be replaced in the overhead console (same part # as the previous but later manufacture date) if the temp reads 5-10 degrees too high, not something that Consult II would show a "problem with." I too was surprised it didn't call for the movement of the sending unit away from the radiator, but oh well. I still think that's where the problem is. Anyway, I explained this to them when I brought it back in for the bottoming out TSB & they ordered the new temp module. Haven't had 4 people in my PF yet so I'm not sure if the bottoming out is better. They replace two parts on the steering wheel & it still squeaks, which bugs me because they acted like it was fixed. Has anyone had this problem & found an answer?
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    I had the same problem with the steering thing. I had rattling noises coming from the steering. Well went to dealer, they said that they have to change the whole steering column but they weren't sure this could solve problem..So I didn't do anything with it..but after six months there's no more squeaks..it just went by it self as it got older..by the way I have also never experienced driving my pathy with more than two people, so i really don't know about bottom out. Should I go and change my shocks? One thing I can remember is when there is a bump the rear makes a bit of thuug kinda sound that's it....
    You don't have to pay for it. Just print out the title with the TSB # from alldata and take it to them. They can take it from there. Unless you have lots of dealer choices and are trying to play them against each other, why get so upset that they are not completely up to date on all the TSB's. Just assume they're not and inform your dealer yourself. I agree that they should know, but the reality is that most don't for some time after a TSB comes out.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    BIGORANGE30, I agree you can print out the title & description of the TSB for free from several web sites. However, you can't get the full TSB without paying. My problem with the dealers is that they just simply don't care, not that they don't know every TSB as soon as they get it. After I told them about the temperature TSB, including giving them the printed title & description you speak of, I went to pick my PF up only to find "nothing wrong with it." I had to call Nissan corporate & find out exactly what the TSB said because the service writer didn't have it right in front of him. He probably would have had to walk 10 feet to get it. When I asked to speak to the tech the service writer told me he was gone & he actually said, "These guys are on commission per car & they're out of here as soon as they're done." Maybe that's part of the problem. They're in such a hurry to get to the next car.
  • jsmithmedjsmithmed Member Posts: 5
    I've got an 01' PF'er SE w/60K on it. I too have the dreaded inaccurate temp. issue and a very occasional bottoming out experience. Since I am out of warranty, would the TSB's still cover my PF?

Thanks much!
    They would apply, but you'll probably have to pay for them.

AW
    Well, I guess that's another reason to buy Infiniti instead of Nissan. I never get that kind of response when I take my QX4 in to the Infiniti dealer. $2000 is just not that much extra to pay for the benefits you get.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I just mentioned the existance of the Temp and Suspension TSB's to my dealer, and they ordered the parts and scheduled an appointment for me...and I didn't even have to pay the extra $2000 for it!
  • smibradsmibrad Member Posts: 34
    I have 40,000 on my Pathfinder and I didn't have to pay for the TSB's either.
    You're right...just talked to the dealer and he indicated w/o an extended warranty, the costs would be my responsibility.
    Well, I called 3 dealerships about the 2 TSBs -- rear suspension bottoming out and the temp gauge. 2 of the 3 have to check FIRST to see if the problem exhibits in my PF. Gee, it seems every owner in this forum have the same symptoms and they have to check it first. What a great waste of time. It's either the dealerships have no clue about these issues or they're playing dumb. But I don't understand why they would play dumb and not just fix it since they do not get paid by Nissan warranty if they do not fix anything -- that's what the service advisor said to me. So, why not just fix it?

I left a message for the 3rd dealer, let's see what they have to say.
  • nomariannomarian Member Posts: 19
    I have called my local Nissan dealership in the Houston area and have an appointment setup for the Temp Guage and bottoming out of my 2001 PF SE. He told me to bring them in and we can get it resolved. I will keep you posted.
    I went to my dealership today and spoke with the service manager.

I have an appointment for next Wednesday for the TSB regarding bottoming out. The service manager didn't seem too aware of it, however I had brought the printout's from the NHTSA website and he kept them.

Also I am going to go on a test-drive to compare my Pathfinder with another one (different issue).
  • albertlalbertl Member Posts: 3
    Who's your dealer in Calgary?

I'm looking to take my car to another dealer, sounds like yours is pretty good.

Thanks
  • omega11omega11 Member Posts: 36
    I'm now at 35k and have noticed that when i come down hills(~80k) and apply the brakes, that there is a vibration from the steering wheel. Is this normal or does this indicate that there is something wrong with my alignment/tires?

Also, do US TSBs apply to Canada? Anyone know if Canadian nissan dealers have access to TSBs?

thanks!
  • sailor16sailor16 Member Posts: 34
    Rusty or warped rotors are the culprit most of the time for what you describe.35,000 kms is early for brakes but it's not impossible
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I go to Stadium Nissan.
  • kzc2kzc2 Member Posts: 14
    Does anybody know how to adjust headlight on 2000 LE? Manual doesn't help at all.
  • pondfull5pondfull5 Member Posts: 53
    Hi: For those of you who have had the above done, please post both the invoice from the Dealer and that of the TSB.

Thanks, full5.
  • danpf1danpf1 Member Posts: 89
    I contacted Nissan Of America consumer affairs Dept. today concerning the TSB'S related to bottoming out and the outside temp. problem.

The person I spoke to was very friendly and acknowlege that there is a problem with both.

She ask me witch dealership I was contacting to have the problems fixed. Then she contacted the dealership for me and arranged to have the items fixed. A few minutes later the service Dept. contacted me to set up an appt. for the repairs.

I have to say I am very satified with the way Nissan handeled my problems. I hope that the rest of you who are having the same problems, will get the same satifaction that I have.
    I think I will do what you did -- I don't want to have to prove that my vehicle requires repairs, it's a waste of time. I just want to bring the PF in and have it fixed. Thanks for the time-saving tip, appreciate it.
    It might be real helpful if someone could post the 800 number for Nissan Consumers Affairs Dept.

Thanks!
    I believe it is 1-800-nissan-1

I may be wrong though.
  • sailor16sailor16 Member Posts: 34
    Having owned an '03 Pathfinder Chilkoot for just over a week now I can say I'm still pleased with my decision. My '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee is beginning to fade like a bad memory. Don't get me wrong,I liked a lot about the JGC,just not how often it was in the shop!
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    Its an XE with about 72,000 miles. The dealer is asking $12,500 using KBB as a guide. I was planning on offering about $9,500, does this sound like a fair offer (provided it runs well).

The body an interior seem to be in good shape except for a fender flair that has come loose and the the rear bumperis kind of "bowed" (up in the middle towards the bottom of the liftgate).

Anything in particular I should look out for on a used one? Thanks in advance for your input.
  • quaymonquaymon Member Posts: 2
    I'm ready for new tires and am looking for something a little bigger and better for offroad driving. Suggestions?
  • nissanlovernissanlover Member Posts: 48
    Hi, Did anybody receive the letter from your dealer where you purchased Pathfinder? It said, there are great incentives in Pre-Owned Buy Back Program, but not much in detail unless I make appointment with them. They were talking about shortage of Pre-Owned Pathfinder, and I guess this is another scam dealer might want to boost sale on new vehicle. Anyway, just want to share with you guys..
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    Another way to get people into the dealership. I thought there was supposed to be a "glut" of used cars out there. ;) And with the incentives heaped on new Pathfinders in recent years, I have further doubts.
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    Probably a scam. My dealer has at least 10 used Pathfinder 96-2000 on the lot, and they are not moving very fast......
  • yoeddyyoeddy Member Posts: 46
    Hi Folks,

I have a crack running along the bottom of my winshield, along the whole length of it. I was wondering if you can get it replaced with one that has the antenna. And if you can, is it easy to hook the antenna back up. Just thought I'd see if anyone else has had to deal with this already.

Thx
  • 99pathfinderse99pathfinderse Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I am wondering if I could "junkyard upgrade" to the digital compass/temp rearview mirror and to heated seats in my 1999 SE Pathfinder.

Is the wiring already in place to the rear view mirror? Is there already circuitry in place for the heated seats, needing only a button and possibly heating elements?

Any help would be great!

m
  • ac6000cwac6000cw Member Posts: 18
    I have had the windshield replaced on my 2001 SE. It is an aftermarket windshield but it does have the antenna wire in it. It also has a dark band at the top that the OEM windshield did not have. Any reasonably competent glass shop should be able to get the new windshield with the antenna wire. I don't know how difficult it was for them to hook it up. In fact, I don't know for sure that it is hooked up but I didn't notice any difference in radio reception after the replacement.
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    The size depends on what year and model your truck is. I have a '99.5 XE 4x4 with 255/70r16 and get a little inconsequential rubbing. I know of people with '99.5 - '01 SE and LE models that have gone with 265/70r16 and only get a little rubbing. The XE has less wheel offset than the SE and LE.

As far as tires are concerned, everybody has a favorite or two. I've used the Bridgestone Dueler A/T for a while on this truck as well as on others and have been very happy with them, but I don't live where it snows. A lot of people love the BFG A/T tires, but my personal opinion is that they're overpriced...but I've never owned a set, so I don't have a whole lot of experience with them. They sure are good looking, though.
  • stevationstevation Member Posts: 15
    I've been thinking about getting my first SUV for a while now, and I decided to wait and see if some killer deals were offered on 2002 Pathfinders as the year comes to a close. I think I got a killer deal -- I got the 2002 SE 4WD Automatic with "popular package" and sunroof package for $26,676, plus tax and license. It was about $4,500 below MSRP and about $2,000 below Edmunds TMV. It feels great to drive! I can't wait for a big snowstorm to see how 4WD conquers the roads!

I saw some posts about bottoming out, outside temperature problems, and a shimmy. Are these all problems affecting the 2002s? Do I need to have experienced the problem (i.e., the bottoming out) to get it fixed or can I proactively request the fix to ensure I've got the best parts and I won't have the problem?