Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I went through two sets of Pirelli Scorpion ATs on another vehicle & loved them because of their traction on any surface. However, they do not last as long as Michelins & can ride rough the first 5 minutes or so after the vehicle has been sitting for a while because they get flat spots on the bottom. I too am looking at the Michelins you mentioned...
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    I replaced my wife's duelers at 13k because of how sloppy they were. Put on the LTXs. She has done nothing but rave about how great they are compared to the OEs. She is not they type who would ordinarily have an opinion on the subject, so for her to notice is a great thing. Sold the OEs for $200 so the hit wasn't too bad. Lowest price in my area was at Costco of all places. Beat all others - small shops, Sears and the big discounters. They also occasionally have Michelin promos that will save you $60 on the set.
  • c182skylanec182skylane Member Posts: 64
    Does anybody else out there think that the stock PF horn is weak? Has anybody out there changed their horn for something better/louder? Even my Accord is louder...
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    I bought a set of "truck horns" from a parts place. These are the vibrating disc type like the horn in the Pathfinder, just larger and much louder. Horns are usually used in pairs - the two horns clash, getting attention better. There is lots of room behind the grill to mount them. Use the stock horn wire through a relay to power them directly from the battery (through an inline fuse close to the battery). They draw a significant amount of current and generate lots of electrical noise, and this method isolates those problems. You can then put a switch in the stock horn wire, such that in one position the stock horn operates ("excuse me") and in the other position the truck horns operate ("get the @#$%*& out of the way").

Before I did this I tried an air horn. The compressor died after just a few months (only used the horn 3 or 4 times demonstrating it to friends).
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    Very interested in this as when I have had to unfortunately lay into the stock horn, twice now, these other vehicles don't seem to "get it" (i.e., hear it) until it is "too late" (i.e., they are already on top of me). I have been checking out options on a horn upgrade for a couple months now and, like you, 1) feel that there is plenty of room in front of the PF's radiator and 2) that electric horns would be easier and more reliable than air horns (although they are louder, I don't need them that LOUD). This would be a pretty simple install compared to the audio systems I've put in before. However, I have not come up with a sure-fire brand yet. Basically, I see the Hella horns and the FIAMM horns out there as the main contenders, the latter being easily found at your local auto parts store as the wonderfully named: Freeway Blasters. What did you use and do you know their dB rating? I understand you put a switch in to alternate, and also have read a lot of websites where people simply replaced the two electric horns (Hi and Low) with two new Hi and Low horns, but I am thinking of a third configuration of just adding the two new electric horns on the same switch for a total of 4 horns. I think this may offer some benefits: it saves the hassle of having to pull out the old horns (one of which is behind the battery) [I could just install two new ones in front of the radiator] and it would achieve a louder overall volume [perhaps overkill, not sure]. Your thoughts? Beyond the obvious state law and inspection issues, I think there are some real electrical considerations though: with all 4 horns on the same switch circuit it would draw more current and there may be an amp rating issue for the circuit as well as a fuse issue. Did you ever try/consider this? In any event, knowing myself, I will probably wait until the warranty expires before I do this as well as a planned upgrade to the audio in the bass department (maybe a Bazooka amp/sub-woofer mounted to the C-Pillar? . . . but can't find anyone who has done this stuff on a PF).
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Just got my 01 LE back from the dealer. Beginning around 20K miles the check engine light would come and go. As with all Pathfinders of this vintage the outside temp. was always high. Just bought a bigger boat so I mentioned the rear suspension TSB to the service writer as well. Everything seems to be the way it should be execept for the suspension TSB. Apparently Nissan only sent one bumper stop so they had to order the other one. Hopefully in a few weeks that will be corrected as well.
    I suspect the stock horn circuit can't handle extra or aftermarket horns. Have a look at the stock horn - it's tiny. That's why I used a relay off the battery. I reasoned the stock cct. could handle the relay activation current. As for make, the horns I got aren't big name ones, just standard "truck horns". They looked much better made than the brand name ones.
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    Malachie, have you decided what tire you will get? I am thinking of the same Michelins LTX or the Cross Terrain. It will be helpful to know what makes you decide on one over the other. Thank you.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Most of the group on this site are not big fans of the Bridgestone Dueler tires that have been factory installed on most late model Pathfinders, but I have no complaints about mine. I have 48K mostly highway miles on my '01, and it looks like I can easily get another 10k miles or more. While the Duelers are definitely not the most aggressive tires for off-roading, they seem to be a good highway tire - smooth and quiet. I run my tires at the Nissan recommended 26 PSI even when I'm towing my boat, and I've rotated them every 15K miles. I don't do any serious off roading, but the Duelers have been fine in up to 30" of snow, although with almost 50k miles on them they have noticeably less snow traction than when they had more tread depth. If anyone is interested, Costco currently is running a special on them (size P255/65R16). Their regular price is $99.99 including mounting, balancing, and new valve stems, and they will deduct $9.00 per tire if you have them mounted elsewhere. In additon, through this Sunday (2/2), they have a in-store coupon good for $60 off four Bridgestone tires. This brings the non-mounted per tire price down to $76 per tire. Tirerack.com's price is $85 plus freight, and the tire dealers in my area are quoting in the $120 range. This was such a great price that I bought a set and threw them in my basement. I plan to replace them this fall. I would not have had Costco mount and balance them anyway. I have the "dreaded" Pathfinder highway speed steering wheel shimmy so often discussed on this site in the past, so I'll have them balanced by a local garage that has one of the Hunter 9700 balancing machines.
  • jeg72jeg72 Member Posts: 18
    For anyone who has the slow window problem that seems to get worse in cold weather I think that the dealer has finally found a fix.

They replaced the Window/Glass Run Rubber (part # 803313W411) and noted that the ones I had were deformed and defective. They were essentially piching the window as it came up and I suspect during colder weather the rubber became more rigid thus making the problem worse.

Good luck to everyone who has this problem! Mine was free because it was under warranty so I can;t give you a cost.
  • jeg72jeg72 Member Posts: 18
    Getting ready to replace the OEM Duelers on my '01. I have ~36K miles. I am leaning toward a set of Toyo Open Country A/T's. Anyone have these that can let me know what the ride is like? Also, any advice whether I should stick to the original tire size or go with something a little larger?

I do highway/city driving mostly and tow/launch a boat some during the summer.

Thanks!
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    I have 10,000 miles rightnow in my 2002 Le, but recently for while I have been noticing vbration in gas pedal. Is this normal? Other than that it's perfect.
  • jsmithmedjsmithmed Member Posts: 5
    I replaced the stock B'Stones with Toyo Open Country A/T's about 37K ago and would highly recommend them. The ride and traction is excellent and they are wearing well. My guess is they will be go for about another 20K. Bought them off etires.com and I believe they were about $85 per w/shipping.

One other note...I rotate them every oil change (5K) Bottom line...can't go wrong with Michelin LTX's or Toyo Open Country A/T's.
    I have an '01 PF with 48K miles and a limited slip rear differential (LSD), but I noticed the LSD doesn't seem to be working anymore. I was in 2 wheel drive the other day and noticed that one of the rear wheels would spin freely in the snow even though the truck was not moving. I changed my rear diff fluid about 10K miles ago and used Mobil 1 synthetic. Is something wrong with the LSD?
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I have a 2001 LE (AWD). I also was in a situation last fall where one tire was on ice and the other on dry pavement. I was in 2wd and the one rear tire kept slipping and no torque was transferred to the other tire. I had to switch to AWD to get away. I haven't thought about it since, but isn't that what an LSD is for??
    I beleive you need to add a "friction modifier" to ensure the plate type LSD will work. Check your owners manual. You can still add it now, and I doubt that there was any damage caused. You will need to remove some oil before you add the modifier.

This stuff is not needed on a "Torsen" limited slip diff., only the plate type. I'm pretty sure we have the plate type.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    From past experiences with LSDs (not LSD!!) the friction modifier is to prevent the plates from binding not to help them engage. The binding is normally associated with slow turns as in parking lots, etc. Lack of modifier will / could cause a grabbing and jerking feeling. Adding the modifier is a good idea anyway, but it won't help it engage.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    I am not sure what type of LSD the Pathfinder has (clutch vs. gear based). However, most LSD will NOT work IF one wheel is in the air or is totally slipping...thus, lockers are better for this type of situation. LSD is good when there is "some" slippage.

If you run into a problem where LSD is not engaging, try LIGHTLY applying the brakes (one foot on gas and one foot on brake pedal) OR pull a little on the E-brake. This will help engage the LSD.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Thanks for the info...that's an important distinction. I'll try that next time.
    Thanks, Intmed99. I'm familiar with the trick of lightly applying the brakes, and unfortunately in my case it didn't work. I have the factory service manual and it says nothing about diagnosing this type of problem. I'm wondering if the problem is the Mobil 1 gear lube, but it did say on the bottle that it is suitable for limited slip diffs.
  • DastoDasto Member Posts: 14
    Is it better to get the 4WD or 2WD for towing < 3500 lbs?
    Unless you need the extra traction of 4WD (such as if you are towing off road or pulling a boat trailer up a slippery boat ramp), I can't see why it would make much difference. I have an '01 PF 4WD, and the engine and transmission seem to handle my boat and trailer (about 4200 lbs.) with relative ease, although I needed to install an airlift kit because because the 200 lb tongue weight of my trailer dropped the back end of the truck so much. Nissan rates both the 2WD and 4WD PF's at 5000 lbs. (assuming an automatic transmission). Other manufacturers (such as Ford with the Explorer and Expedition)lower the towing capacities for 4WD versus 2WD by 200-300 lbs. to offset the extra weight of the 4WD models.
  • w62w62 Member Posts: 27
    Having driven a 02 PF for 6k, I found the engine make much more NOISE when climbing hills than going on the straight roads. This is compared to my 01 Accord and 93Taurus. Besides the noise, seems it takes a lot of work to climb.Is this normal since PF is a heavy vehicle? But the PF engine is powerful 240HP.I hope i am wrong. Other than this noise, everything works fine.I noticed the other SUVs passing by don't make that much noise.

Your comments and info are greatly appreaited
  • ngiovanningiovanni Member Posts: 2
    I can't seem to find any info in the Infiniti literature that the Qx4 comes with VDC, is this correct? That would seem kind of strange that the more expensive Qx4 would not have this option.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    I will look it up in my manual.
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    w62,

Is it cold in your area (freezing mark or below ?)

I took delivery of my 03 Pathfinder in late October. At that time the truck would easily climb the steep hill that leads to my neighbourhood. I was amazed. But since the cold temperatures have settled in I have to use the kick-down to climb the same hill.

Maybe the winter gas along with the cold temperature impact the performance of our truck.

I ma not experiencing any "noise" but I'm only at 3000 miles.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Yup, QX4 has only a LIMITED-SLIP DIFFERENTIAL as an option. The Pathfinder does NOT have this option...instead, it has VDC and traction control system.

I think VDC = vehicle dynamic control.

VDC was added to '03 model Pathfinder and Xterra.
    Hi Worldtraveler,
    I am in Seattle metro. This winter is really mild.I bought my 02 PF last August. I have had this noise since the begining.seems not related to the cold.Compared to your 03 PF, i never have that easy climbing (and the hills are not steep in my case), i just feel something is not right with my 02PF. I really want to know how the other PFs climb hills. Hope to get more replies so that i know where to go.Thanks for your info!
  • brisoupbrisoup Member Posts: 56
    I have a 2002 Pathfinder with the Bose premium audio system.I understand the 2003's offer satellite radio.Can anyone that has that option tell me how the system is set up?Does the satellite radio go directly through the main radio? Is this a dealer installed option?How much does installation or the option cost?I would really rather have the dealer install this instead of some inexperienced discount electronics store employee. Any info would be appreciated. Thanx
    Path13,

To some extent I agree with W62. I too feel that my Pathfinder had more punch the first few weeks I had the truck. For now I think the cold is the culprit, I think higher-end engine tend to perform less in cold weather.

Or maybe it is just that I have become "used" to the power....
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Brisoup, you may want to look around the XM & Sirius Satellite Radio discussion too - some people have had good luck with the Circuit City type stores, believe it or not.

Steve, Host
    Path 13,
    I'll try to keep O/D off for climbing.See how it works.Do people leave O/D off when climbing hills?
    Thanks
    I don't turn O/D off unless I'm pulling my boat and climbing a hill.

I think that a 240HP truck should be able to climb a hill like the one I have here without turning O/D off.
  • johnxyzjohnxyz Member Posts: 94
    I'm interested in purchasing a '03 QX4 but have been put off by the chronic vibration problems sited by the Pathfinder owners in their recent discussions. Any information or advice would be appreciated.

Also, any idea what month this year when manufacture of US QX4 and Pathfinder models will cease? How much longer will US dealers receive these vehicles? Thanks, John
    Just a little speculation here. Note that the Pathfinder has VDC and the QX4 doesn't. From this and the introduction of the new Infinity "super SUV" I suspect it (AWD wagon, as in car) will replace the QX4. This would "broaden the market" for the Pathfinder. I hear the Pathfinder is going to get larger (like the 4Runner). This is supposed to happen in the next two years. Nissan is also supposed to introduce a competitor to the CRV and RAV4 next year ("small" SUV). I hope it has the 3.5 V6!!

All this being said, I wouldn't wait, if the current vehicle meets your needs well.
  • pondfull5pondfull5 Member Posts: 53
    Help, I need to change it from km to mph.
    Thanks to all.
    full5.

Pss: I am in the NYC area.
    what kind of Gas you're putting. I have only notice powerloss when I use low grade fuel; other than that no problem.By the way, the Pathfinder will remain same size but with new look and power, I got this information from Nissan designers who usually comes to a japanese bar where my gf works. I also saw the new ad for the truck. It's really kool wait till it's shown on tv. I will try to get more information.
  • markipkimarkipki Member Posts: 3
    I just brought my '02 Pathy LE in for the 7500mi. check and when I got it back the rims were scarred by the lug-gun they used when they rotated the wheels. Has anyone else had this problem or did I recieve a bad job and perhaps am entitled to something in return. My biggest gripe is that the truck was virtually brand new when I brought it in and now I have to keep eyeballing these nasty scars on my wheels...on all four! I'm not one for complaining but when someone brings in their brand new 350Z do they have to leave with blemished rims? I'm a fanatic about my vehicles and now I can't bear to look at my rims.I haven't gone back yet but I wanted to check with some owners before I stampeded into the dealership...thanks guys!
  • gumdocgumdoc Member Posts: 7
    Brisoup, about four months ago I bought an '03 Pathfinder, all of which are advertised as being "satellite ready", but Nissan doesn't seem to know what to do to actually make it receive satellite broadcasts. I was told by my dealer that the transmitter would be modified, but Nissan hasn't provided the part or any other guidance to my dealer. I don't want to go to an after-market FM modulator, but that may end up being my only option. I'm told by after-market dealers that you don't get full digital clarity from this arrangement because the sound clarity of your satellite reception will be about that of your FM radio. I would not have bought the car had I known this, and I am very disappointed with Nissan about this. I would recommend that anyone considering buying a Nissan - and who wants satellite radio - buy it with the satellite radio already installed. I would appreciate input from anyone else who had this problem and how you got the problem resolved.
  • brisoupbrisoup Member Posts: 56
    Gumdoc,It seems a little odd that your dealer doesn't know anything about your satellite radio.It's a factory option for god sakes.Did you try going to another dealer?Call the Nissan customer hotline?It is a option you paid for and there isn't any reason why the dealer can't get it working.The after market ins taller is right about getting FM like sound quality. If you do not buy a satellite head unit,they will install a tuner somewhere on your dash and run the connection to your factory unit.You then have to tune your factory radio to 87.9 or something like that and tune the satellite stations through your tuner on the dash.I still havn't decided if I'm going to go through with it or not.
  • pf03bobpf03bob Member Posts: 3
    Check the sticker that came on your PF. My PF was equipped with the XM radio option. This option should be on your sticker for about $400.This is OPTIONAL equipment. Not every PF is equipped with this option. The XM radio comes with 2 months of service but you must contact XM or Sirius first to get your service started. When you hit the radio button you will see the AM/FM/XM SATELLITE displayed. I also received a XM radio brochure with the paperwork for my PF. The service cost about $10 a month after the inital contract is up.
    I had the same problem but mine was only on one wheel. The dealer didn't take any responsible for it so I just told them this is why people don't buy Nissan. I went to local wheel repairment shop, cost me $75 to fix it.
  • sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    i bought cheap italian air horns for 90 4runner, had dealer put same horns on 96 4runner, and same horns are on my 02 pathfinder. still working. always got dealer to install after making deal. i usually give the tech $10 tip and he really did nice job. always use a relay.
  • walter12walter12 Member Posts: 30
    Can someone tell me which way the oil drain plug washer is supposed to face when changing oil? Is the side with the ridge facing towards the oil pan or towards the drain plug head? Thanks for any help.
  • p9ccg1p9ccg1 Member Posts: 8
    I've had my 03 Pathy LE for 5 months and 5000 miles now. In 90% city driving with occasional stop and go traffic I am getting between 14 and 15 mpg using 93 octane. One question I have for the board is what type of motor oil is best for the truck. On my first oil change I went with Mobil 1 Synthetic ($8 quart from the dealer was painful....they suggested I could buy the oil somewhere else for much less and provide it myself next time) I want to maintain this vehicle as well as possible and am willing to spend the extra $$ to keep it in top shape for a long time. I was under the impression that synthetic oil was far superior, but one of the mechanics suggested that synthetic leaves a residue that builds up over time, and that standard motor oil may be better. Does anyone otut there have some good reliable info on this subject? Thanks for any help.
    I buy the Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart (though I've seen it even cheaper at Superstore, but that's a Canadian store, which will not help you). The residue claim is a first for me. They claim to have run it in a Corvette for over 100,000 mi. from new, with no problems (but they were trying to sell it, so take that with a grain of salt). The Nissan dealer mechanics told a friend of mine on several occations that he shouldn't be using it in his Sentra Spec. V. This was after they recommended he use it! Each time they told him not to, they had a different reason. Personally, I love the way the engine runs with it in, and I think all the warnings are typical "old wives tales". Maybe they are afraid they will not be able to sell a new car to us as soon as otherwise possible?

The one warning I have heard is related to the seals in the engine. Some older vehicles seal material will not absorb synthetic oil, and the engine will leak oil because the seals shrink. The other thing is that if you use synthetic oil for a long time, and then change back to regular oil, the seals in the engine (we're talking of newer engines now) will then leak. Personally, I find this hard to beleive as well.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    You might want to check out the synthetic oil discussion board. I use Mobil1 and supply it to the dealer at $17.88/5 qt jug from Wal-Mart. That is $3.58/qt. I also use the Mobil1 synthetic media filter. I provide them both to the dealer and he does the change for $16.80 in labor on my QX4. I increased my mpg by 1.5 for a savings of $72/7000 mile change which pays for the increase in oil cost. I also tested the oil on my first drain of the synthetic which you can see on the sythetic board. I was told that I really needed to wait until after 20K miles and do it again to verify my interval.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Synthetic motor oil

and for equal time for the dead dino crowd:

Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2

Steve, Host
    In order to change wider tire do I have to change the wheels too.Right now the size is 245/65 17...and i want to change it in 265/40 17. Can anyone help me with this...