Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    So you get 20L/100 too. This tells me I do not have any mechanical problem... unles we both have one. ;-)

By the way 20L/100 is no where near 20MPG, 20L/100 is more like 11.76MPG (US) or 14.12 MPG (imperial).
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    Thanks for listing the price on Mobil 1 at Superstore. I will be in Kamloops next week, where there is both a Wal-Mart and a Superstore. Do you use the Nissan oil filters?
    Probably will do the Duffy Lake Road this year, as the turnoff to it from Hwy 97 is about 180 km from my home.

Woody
  • cj724cj724 Member Posts: 13
    I keep hearing that Pathy owners are getting 11 - 12 mpg city. I must be lucky because I am averaging 14 mpg city and 19.5 mpg highway. My calculations are an average of a dozen or so readings. I have ranged from 13 to 14.8 city and 18 to 20.5 highway. My 02 LE Pathy with 10000 miles on it has been flawless so far. I drove in the snow once in 4hi and it felt pretty solid on the road. I do wish the mileage was better but when you consider that this is a 4000 pound truck with a powerful 240 hp engine, I can't complain.
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    I use the Nissan ones, which I get from the dealer. Hey guys, any better after-market ones? The Nissan ones seem very well made, but they are rather expensive.
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    Here's a pretty interesting study done on oil filters...

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
  • riskaker11riskaker11 Member Posts: 39
    Does anyone have any insight on when the 04 Pathfinder will be released. Our local paper had an article today with a concept picture mentioning a v8 as well. Hopefully a 3rd row seat will be available.
  • mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    riskaker11

the 04 PF (Armada) is due to be released this Fall. Indeed, it will have a V-8 engine and I believe it will seat up to 8 passengers as well.

www.nissannews.com has a little more info on it - but not much...

Myself, well I can't wait to see it - but I'm wondering about the cost...it will probably come in around $40K (just guessing here though, it may be more even) and I really dig my 2001 PF LE still to this day.

I know I'll want a bigger SUV here in a couple years probably, just not sure if I'm ready for one this Fall.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Being a Canadian transplant in FL, I find this to be great news. I think that with the establishment of NAFTA a while back, the US and Canada should be able to freely trade, i.e. buy and sell goods, without penalties. In this case, refusal of warranty on a Canada-bought vehicle in the U.S. seems to be clear penalties of such free trade. I hope the manufacturers and dealership organizations get penalized for this. Or at least, such non-coverage of warranty be lifted. Better yet, have all US vehicle prices adjusted to Canadian levels.
  • bob_pathbob_path Member Posts: 14
    I purchased a 2001 PATHFINDER LE in March 2001. I currently have 30,000 miles. By this August I am going to have 36000 miles thereby exhausting my warranty before March 2004. I was wondering if it is worth purchasing the extended warranty through Nissan before I reach 36000 mile. Nissan has not performed any of my regular maintenance so I do not know if they will hassle me if I brought the vehicle back to the dealer with an extended warranty. Has anyone purchased an extended warranty and if so what has been your experience and is it worth spending the 800-900 dollars for the extended warranty?
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    Why do you think you need a warranty? Do you think the pathy will have problems? What evidence do you have that says there is a good chance of it?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm not a fan either, but some people like the peace of mind they can get with one. I'd call the local Nissan dealer and ask for the F&I person, and get a quote. Non-Nissan warranties are another option too.

We have some articles that may be of interest:

Extended Warranties: Extending The Joys Of Ownership

Understanding Extended Warranties

Steve, Host
    is that extended warranties are for vehicles that would cost you alot in maintenance otherwise. The Pathfinder is not one of those. The only make I would consider one on is a Chrysler product. GM and Ford are not far behind but I have owned all Ford and GM products up until my latest purchase of a QX4. I did not buy an extended warranty on either GM or Ford products and did not suffer many repairs.

Dealers try to sell them to you because they make alot of money on them. I like my dad's response when they try to sell him one. He says "Why? Is it gonna need it? Is the quality of your cars that poor?" The salesman really backs off, stutters and stumbles at that point.
  • awainerawainer Member Posts: 1
    Hello Gentlemen:

First timer here, so take it easy on me. I am in the market for an 01 Pathfinder. I seem to notice that the auto seat goes back further than the manual seat, and I really like as much leg room as possible. Do you guys confer on this? I can't seem to find an SE or XE with an auto seat, is this uncommon? If I want an auto trans and don't care about leather, is there any reason for me to get an SE over an XE? Appreciate any and all help from this esteemed bunch.
  • omega11omega11 Member Posts: 36
    I've been filling my pathy with 94 octane gas, but with the price of gas being what it is i'm thinking of filling with 92 octane gas.

Are there any reasons to use 94 over 92 in the truck?

Thanks!
  • rcigloorcigloo Member Posts: 5
    I have a 01 PF SE with 45k miles. I was using 4WD Hi mode yesterday, and I noticed that my power steering is "fighting" with me when I turn corners. I had the 30k maintenance done, but I opted not to have the 4wd maintenance done. Has anyone else experienced this with 4WD? Does anyone have any suggestions for correcting the problem?
    you've used 4WD. I think what your describing is what I have seen from the beginning on my QX4. This is my first 4WD but I was very surprised at what I felt. Backing out of my driveway was also difficult. I have been told that this is normal.
    This is my first day using the chat room. I saw that 'mchin' posted a message about a low hum when using the climate control. I am getting the same problem with my 01 PF SE. It is only noticeable when the fan blower is set to the lowest position, and it started about 2 months ago (at around 38k miles). Were there any responses to 'mchin's' message?
    This isn't the first time that I have used it, but with the recent snowfall in MD, I have been using it more frequently in the past month than I ever have in 24 months that I have owned it.
    The only time I have experience this difficulty before is when I have shifted to 4WD when the transmission was in reverse BEFORE I shifted it to 4WD mode. But, then again, I have a manual shift, maybe the QX4 has an auto mode, or something a little different.
    Are you talking about automatic transmission? The QX4 does have A/T and it has an auto 4WD mode just like the Pathfinder. I was talking about in 4WD HI mode though. When it is in auto, the 4WD will only kick in if the traction slips.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Forgive me if this is a silly question, but when you had the difficulty, were you on "all-snow" ground? Or was it partially (or all) dry?
    The only "premium" commonly available here in Edmonton is 92. Been using it for over 2 years now with no pinging or problems (other than the "high sulpher content" took out two O2 sensors - but lots of people are having that problem).

When you put any vehicle in "locked" 4WD (no centre diff.) you will have difficulty turning, as the front and rear travel different distances. This will not occur in "Auto" mode, as the centre "diff." (clutch plate type) will take up the differences. Apply extra throttle to skid one tire to enable sharp turning when in "locked" mode. This required skidding is why operation in this mode is not recommended on pavement - it can cause much greater axle loading (torque) on one "half shaft" only, and can even cause it to break (though that is unlikely - more likely just increases wear). This is especially true at higher speeds, where you are using much more power to overcome wind resistance. This is why the manufacturers recommend you not use 4WD above 50 MPH/80 kmPH. This will also increase tire wear, and decrease mileage.
    Right, that's what I meant...I was just asking first in case he knew that and there really was a mechanical problem. I agree, though, it sounds like the classic 4WD on non-slippery ground thing.
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Sure, I'm still around - just not the big poster I was before Nissan decided to cut us off from buying in Canada last March. This is really good news and we'll have to see what comes of it. Just hoping that it won't be tied up in the courts so long that the US$/CAD$ exchange advantage goes away.

I'm still amazed that a year later I still get mail asking me how to get a Pathfinder from Canada. For now we can't, but over 70 people did it before.

Oh, and I do have my first Path problem after 2.5 years - the infamous cold weather "slow driver window". I called the local dealer and gave them the window rubber number mentioned - $109. Ouch! Too bad I'm way over on miles for warranty work. Any other ideas out there?

Jon
    I'd try silicone grease on the rubber. Not spray, the dielectric grease. It's clear, does not get thicker with lower temperature, and is good for rubber (stops it from oxydizing). You can usually find it at electronics parts suppliers. I've also seen it at Gregg Distributors here in Edmonton (truck and light manufacturing parts supply house).
    Not sure what you'll have to do to apply it, though. Hopefully just remove the door panel.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    If I remember correctly, you had a service manual. If so, you could try the "fix" the dealer used on my 2001 LE for the exact same problem. They "adjusted the power window regulator". Essentially they realigned it so it runs more vertical in the track. Worked beautifully. Even though it was past 1 yr warranty period for "adjustments", they did it under warranty.
  • mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    What maintenance should I be doing to my 2002 Pathfinder? I am at 9,000 miles, I have changed the oil at 3,000 and 7,000 so far. I have rotated the tires once at 5,000 miles. My state inspection is going to expire in April, when I bring it in then should I get one of the "services" done? That would be about the point in which I would need an oil change anyway.

Also I have noticed in the past week or so a vibration in my steering wheel that occurs at all speeds. If I let my hand off the wheel at highway speeds it does not wonder around any more than the usual pull to the right. I don't think its the "shimmy" because it happens at all speeds.

What can I do to keep my alignment in spec? I had it done at 5,000 miles (under warranty) but it was out within a few weeks. I didn't have time to take it back to the dealership when that happened. Just normal driving, also it seems any kind of defect whether rut, or man hole can mess with the alignment.

Lastly, my steering becomes heavy after using the brakes sometimes. I don't brake hard, or ride the brakes, and I coast as much to use the brakes as little as possible. Hopefully I don't have warped rotors again.

Overall I like the truck very much. Its quick, stylish, lots of room and it gets me around in the snow. Hopefully they won't kill the mid-size Pathfinder after MY2003 or next year, that would be a loss.
  • jr45jr45 Member Posts: 45
    Hi all,

I'm coming off a lease on a '00 Altima in May and have pretty much decided on leasing a '03 Pathfinder. Does anybody have any info on any Nissan lease incentives that will be in effect around May 1? Nissan has sent me materials saying I am pre-qualified for another lease, and that the deposit will be waived, etc., but nothing so far offers any customer loyalty cash or incentives, etc. I will probably be leasing 15k/36 mons, unless I can buy a couple thousand more miles at a discount up front. Also, anyone have the current depreciation percentage and money factors for Nissan on the Pathy handy?

My goal is to line up my ducks and try to get a capitalized cost at reasonably close to invoice as possible. I hate the usual car buying experience, with the gamesmanship and pressure tactics that sometimes go on. So I've decided to try to do the deal by fax machine and telephone to minimize contact with sales staff. I really don't want to sit in a dealership again for 3 hours while paperwork is being done. Also, my nature is to get chatty and want to get chummy with people. Unfortunately, in the past being the buddy of the dealership hasn't gotten me a better deal.:) Any tips from buyers on keeping negotiations impersonal are greatly appreciated.
    Lease Questions - Ask Here is a good place to ask about money factors if no one here has their fingertips on that info.

Steve, Host
    BigOrange,
    No... I wasn't referring to A/T. I have A/T, but since I have an SE, the 4WD has a manual shifter beside the gear selector. I was in 4WD Hi mode, when I had the problem.
    I was on wet, non icy pavement when I had the steering problem, and I was traveling 5 mph into a parking space in a parking lot. I only needed for the first 5 minutes it when I was pulling out of a snowy parking spot on the street, then I decided to leave it in the 4WD mode, because the owners manual suggested using the 4WD occasionally to keep it operational.
    IMO, your 4WD was acting normally. I never use 4WD on anything but snow/ice. Unless the wet pavement is quite slippery, it will not be enough to allow the different speeds of the wheels in a turn to be "unloaded" by slipping, especially at slow speeds...and you will then experience binding. This is not only noticable as a difficulty in turning (resistance) but it can also damage the transmission.

If you want to "exercise" the 4WD beyond annual use in snow conditions, use it in a straight line for a short distance. Preferably, do it on gravel, or better yet, on mud. Of course, if you're on mud, you can turn all you want...you could pretend you're off roading ;-)
    Not intending to muddy up the PF board with this, but here's a copy of that lawsuit filed regarding higher vehicle prices in US compared to Canada: Class action complaint for violations of the Sherman Antitrust Act
    I couldn't get that link to work the other day and it's still broken on my box. I guess I'll just wait for my $2.00 coupon after the lawyers get their 9 gazillion in fees :-)

Steve, Host
  • yipikyayipikya Member Posts: 5
    Just curious if anyone can fill me in on the differences between the 5.1 and 5.2 Nav CD software changes? If nothing too great then I'm going to pick up some used 5.1 revs for a few other areas. Any input is appreciated.
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Thanks crikey, that lawsuit is fascinating reading (link works ok for me). It details out all the things we "heard" the manufacturers were starting to do to prevent car sales in Canada to US customers. I called a dealer just to chat and he said it's amazing the things the manufacturer is now doing to track every vehicle to ensure it's not ending up in the US. Time will tell what happens with the lawsuit.

Thanks pathstar and phil47 for the slow window fix ideas. Yes, I do have the shop manual. It doesn't have a fabulous picure of the window mechanism, but I will sure try these things. Door panel should not be too hard to remove to scope things out.

Jon
  • rustywheelsrustywheels Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering buying a 1996 PF SE 4x4, 5 speed with 145,000 miles for $5,500. Any mechanical or CORROSION problems that I need to be aware of?

It's my sister's vehicle. I'm in Virginia, she is in New York. I called a local dealer and he said mechanically, not a problem. But, it's a "Northern Car". My sister says that the Pathfinder has no visible rust. I'm wondering if there is a trend of corrosion with this vehicle?

Thanks in advance for any comments on this.

Regards,

Russ
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Check the exhaust system for corrosion/deterioration. This means exhaust pipes, muffler, heat shields, hangers, etc.

Check the upper engine compartment for obvious signs of corrosion. Some nuts and/or bolts may have significant corrosion which could make them harder to remove when/if service is required.

Has the timing belt been changed? (105,000 miles is the change interval)

Have the fluids been regularly changed (i.e. transfer case, differential, transmission)

Have the front bearings ever been repacked?

Check the condition of the rear suspension lower control arm bushings by driving the truck slowly, shifting into Neutral, and pulling the e-brake to stop. If the truck rocks back and forth noticeably after it has stopped, the bushings should be replaced. Worn bushings will cause unpredictably poor handling and could possibly result in an accident.

Here's the TSB on the bushings: (you must copy the link and paste into a new window).

http://www.geocities.com/callagkf/docs/SuspensionTSB.doc
  • rustywheelsrustywheels Member Posts: 2
    Hi xplorx4,

Thanks for the advice in your message #6432. I'll be asking the above questions.

Regards,

Russ
  • highuphighup Member Posts: 31
    01 LE 26K miles. It was all good till the morning drive to work today in beautiful downtown Dublin CA. At the busiest intersection with the longest red light in the world, my pathfinder started to stall. The "service engine soon" light came on and I could feel the rpms start to flutter downward and the tach concurred. Holy guacamole I thought, there's a line of cars and trucks behind me and no way can I push this beast to the side. I goosed the gas to bounce the rpms up a bit and finally got the green light. It started to buck into the intersection so I feathered it a bit and managed to make it through. I may have set a personal best for the longest held breath. The dealer just happened to be around the next corner and we limped in, barely. Ok, I'll cut to the chase. Problem was with the MAFS (Mass Air Flow Sensor). Apparently it broke and the part is on the way. The stalling started several months ago with about a 2-3 second duration each time. By the time I caught on to what was happening, it healed itself. The engine never died. I didn't think much of it then, but parts being parts, they sometimes fail. I post this to share my experience and hopefully save someone from passing out at an intersection.
  • wcl22wcl22 Member Posts: 2
    I just took my car to the Nissan dealer cause I was experiencing problems with the car accelerating. The engine sounds rough (not sure how else to describe) when accelerating. The Nissan dealer recommended servicing the fuel injection/throttle body and air-intake for $250. Is this too much? They also serviced my car for the 30K maintenance and replaced the fuel filter, but that did not solve the problem. I am not sure if this is related, but several times if I'm waiting at a light for too long, the car feels like it's about to stall, but then corrects itself. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their 2001 Pathfinder LE? Thanks in advance!
  • saransssaranss Member Posts: 1
    I need help guys. The gas pedal of my 2000 PF is hard to press down after the car came to a complete stop or sometime after I let go of the gas pedal to coast. I hope it's not a big problem to take care of. What do I need to do, loosen/tighten the accel. cable??? Thanks.
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    $250 for that service is outrageous. Call around to find a local shop that will do a complete fuel induction service with BG products. They are the class of the field, and the service should cost about half as much. Most dealers will simply put a $25 can of BG44K fuel system cleaner in your gas tank and be done with it.

Link to BG:
    http://www.bgprod.com/
  • uvdavaruvdavar Member Posts: 11
    Could some one please let me know of the post that documented how to purchase a Nissan in canada and bring it to the United States.

Could some one also let me know if this can be done with the new Murano.
    Try a "Search Discussion" for "Canada." You'll find lots of posts about this issue. The search box is at the top and bottom of the messages.

Steve, Host
    You might want to check this post in the Edmund's Mazda RX8 message board.

Right now, Canadian dealers will not sell a Canadian vehicle to a US resident due to manufacturer's new policies. Sorry...
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    I've been following this Message Board on and off since buying an '01 PF about 2 1/2 years ago, and I recall from time to time people mentioning problems with their 6 disc CD changers, especially when using CD-R's. My new computer has a CD burner, and after all the comments I've seen here, I'm a bit apprehensive about using the CD-R's in my truck. I've been using the CD-R labeling kit made by Avery that they sell at Staples and Office Max, and given the extra thickness the label adds to each CD-R I'm even more concerned that the CD-R's might cause my changer to jam. So far I've never experienced a problem with my CD changer, and I don't want to cause a problem now since my truck is out of warranty. Has anyone been using CD-R's regularly with no problems? How about CD-R's with labels? My owners manual mentions on page 4-25 that CD-R's may not function properly in my changer, but it doesn't caution they will jam the changer. Thanks for your help in advance.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    on my 02 QX4 can play CD-R and CD-RW with no problem. I never stick labels on but write something with markers.

My 00 RX300 can only play CD-R but not CD-RW which causes "ERR1" message.
  • deebardacdeebardac Member Posts: 23
    For success use CD-R that have Digital Audio in the logo. They are more money but they work.
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    Hello M99,

Have you been on the Toyota.com web site lately. They show a SR5 with the appearance package that includes color-keyed bumpers and over-fenders, black running boards, black roof-rack and fog lights.

The trucks looks really nice. That is exactly what I would have wanted going back in October.

While I'm happy with my Pathfinder I have to admit that this new appearance package on a SR5 would have had me reconsider my purchase decision.

Imagine in black !!!!