Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• rcigloorcigloo Member Posts: 5
    OK li_sailor,
    I think that I will only exercise the 4WD in the correct conditions. Thanks for the advice!
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    Actually, once I knew they caved to the mass boycott and decided to do the appearance package (imagine having to now pay even more to avoid having an ugly plastic vehicle), I haven't looked back. I agree, it is much improved; still, I like the headlight package, squared stance, etc. of the 3rd Gen better - we will never see that look again . . . until the H2 causes the boxy backlash I predict. :) For me, I am still ecstatic by "making do" with the Pathfinder. :> It is every thing I honestly needed (I never intended to truly climb boulders like intmed99) for my camping, hiking, snowboarding, furniture hauling, dog carting, snowblower borrowing, and Moomba boat towing activities. [As an aside: the HUSKY liners rule in all such situations!]

Even without the plastic, unless it was perfect, the opportunity costs of that 4th Gen were way too high, by about $5 grand. I love knowing I got the loaded vehicle I needed for basically $30K! Believe it or not, even in this crappy stock market, that $5K saved has already eeked out an 8% return since October. Don't forget all these "glass half full" things. I know you leased, but if you were putting the difference you saved each month into this cheap market, you would be ahead in the big 5-7 year picture IMHO.

You know, there's a lot of hype about Nissan no-longer being the imitator of Toyota/Honda, and instead being perhaps a new trend-setting leader with many of its new cutting edge vehicles that they are developing, including the new '04 Pathfinder. I have been watching NSANY (i.e., Nissan Motor Corp.) and may pick up more shares if we get down to the right number - I think Nissan is poised to pick up market share going forward. I don't think it was a fluke we "defected" over here . . . among other things, Toyota has some real marketing problems with its vehicles. The debacle with its flagship vehicle, the 4Runner, may be a sign of things to come. At a minimum, the Nissan_SHIFT campaign is closer to the mark than those pathetic, babbling Alzheimer Everest commercials. [But the H2 campaign definitely sets the mark!] Toyota has a lock for now on the baby boomers who discovered its infamous "reliability," but I think Nissan is poised to make some real inroads with the generations after (Gen X, etc.).

So, maybe take comfort in the fact that you may have bought into a rising star???? Just my gambit. We shall see.

P.S. To date, I have still only seen ONE 4th Gen on the streets around DC (with the ugly cladding). Unbelievable.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Trend setting and cutting edge is one thing, but a lot of good will was lost in '99 among Nissan van drivers due to lousy safety engineering. The scores crept back up, but sales really didn't.

Crash test scores have their own set of problems, and maybe van drivers pay more attention to the scores than SUV/sedan drivers in general, but -- any predictions on how the new line up (across the board) is going to do?

Steve, Host
    I wish I had a crystal ball, but I don’t – so I stick to a Peter Lynch approach asking myself why after 2 years of research and wait I myself ended up with a Pathfinder, my first Nissan. I remember about all these guys going for that X-Terra so they could have a truck frame at certain price levels without the looks of something like that RAV4. No copy there. Then, it seemed like I had all these other guys going for that darn Maxima, while I was the loyal Honda dude. What was going on? I watch now as my late 30-something friends gobble up these new Infinity coupes, getting more bang for the buck (IMHO) then my bud bragging about his new BMW 3 series (but the latter has no wife and kids to feed). There’s the Z now back, supposed to be very cool, but I know little about it. Basically, I see Nissan coming out with all these new products, like in the big pickup class and the mini-SUV Murano. The new ’04 Pathfinder too. It seems like they are stepping out from their past. An ad campaign almost as cool as Mitsubishi's (maybe not?), but certainly makes Toyota’s stuff seem like the boring stand-by droll without the new intangible mystique needed for the next generation. 20+ year old friends of my brother say Toyota is what their parents drove! :> I like Toyota stuff a lot, but add this all up (just my personal feeling) and I have to think that Nissan ends up with more market share as a result. I have yet to crunch the charts, but hey, if NSANY hits 13 a share tomorrow, why not gamble 2-3 grand that the next 5 years sees their sales climbing and maybe make some money in the process? Here’s an article about Japanese buying I just pulled up: http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/030303/0339000434_1.html.

Curious as to your thoughts about the US, but this board may not be the right time or place. Sorry for the digression you all!
    Toyota is what their parents drove! is about the worst thing I've ever seen anyone say about Toyota around here :-)

I was really getting at your "cutting edge" comment and what percentage of that effort was focused on safety for the NA market. The other market is a mess ;-)

Steve, Host
    . . . little 10-baggers are lurking somewhere in that "mess." I just have to find them, that's all . . . ;>
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    M99,

I didn't mean to open a can of worms when I made my comments about the new appearance package available on the 4Runner.

The intent was not to reconsider all the tought and decision making process we've been through(i.e. choosing, Nissan, savings, investment possibilities, etc). At that moment we have made the best decision with the information we had.

All I wanted to say is that I was quite surprised at how fast they came out with an appearance package and that it would have addressed most (but not all) of my concerns with the new look.

But I'm not sure I would have overcame some other oddities like the squarish look of the fenders (over the wheel), the headlights, ackward dash, busy rear-end, etc. And also I don't know if I would have liked buying into a first model-year. I'm sure they will fix lots of little quirks on the '04.

I got to see at least 25 03 4Runners of all model types and color. I'm getting used a bit to the new shape. Its like new hair styles or new clothes, they look odd at first but we all get used to it after a while.

A quick analysis showed me that a 03 SR5 Runner with appearance package would cost just about the same as a 03 Pathfinder LE. Obviously the Runner has less equipment: leather seats, power seats, 17 inches wheels..... but that's about it.

So please do not take those 4Runner-Pathfinder discussion to seriously. I am not reconsidering my decision... but I'm bound to monitor the evolution of the 4Runner closely as I like the 4Runner familly of trucks and also compare it from time-to time with my Pathfinder.

Take it like this: Toyota is preparing my next SUV.... and unless they screw up big time again, I'm bound to drive another 4Runner in this life ;-) (I guess other people that have owned or own a 4Runner can relate to what I mean here).

World
    Same sort of problems that you get with with E-mail; no oops necessary, I know what you're saying, but just wanted to take the ball and run for awhile. Totally my own digression given that I was looking at NSANY shares at the time . . . which dropped into the 13s earlier today. Hmmmmmmmm. . .
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    And just to take the discussion a bit farther, the Murano is not a "small" SUV. It's almost the same size as the Pathfinder (a little wider and almost the same length - and weight!). I'm just not sure I want to call it a SUV.

I'm hoping for a small Nissan with the 3.5 VQ motor and 6 speed! Say around 3200 lbs weight. Now that would be a performer! Not to imply my Pathfinder is not a performer - I, like everyone else, always want more.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    The new 4Runner is a bit of slow seller according to most people. Unfortunate. I do wish that Toyota stuck to it's old design, instead of trying to do battle with Ford Explorer & the likes.

As for the trend setting, remember that Toyota (& Lexus) have never been known to be "trend setter". Instead, they are quite dull by comparison to most other manufacturers. However, what sets Toyota apart are it's well-documented reliability and quality. Take a look at the Camry. I think it is a best-seller among all cars (i think). There are many faster and better handling cars in it's class. However, buyers KNOW Camry! My ex-girlfriend ONLY knew Camrys...she loved how quiet it is and how smooth it is. Interior is roomy with high-quality materials. Safety is great. She does not care that it is one of the slowest nor that it is very bland in styling.

Take the 3rd gen 4Runner. It is cramped inside. It is slow (very slow when compared to '01 Pathfinder). It costs a lot! It is hard to get in and out due to it's height. YET, it was the best selling import-SUV. How many 4Runner owners know about off-roading?? VERY FEW! How many soccer moms realize it's off-roading potential?? None! The 4Runner had the looks. It has a tremendous resale value. It was built extremely well with excellent interior materials. It was simply made to last for years. Those things are what Toyota is known for! Those are the things that brought customers into the showrooms. Yeah, it never came close to the Ford Explorers, but it sure made Toyota a lot of money.

The same goes for Lexus. Why is the ES300 or RX300 the best seller in it's class?? Both are relatively slow and styling is "questionable". For the same reasons above, they are best sellers.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I think my 00 RX300 FWD is quicker than my 02 QX4 4WD. Data also show so. BTW I could feel some vibration when I accelerate QX4 relatively hard, at some rpm, maybe around 3500 rpm. Not so at higher or lower rpm. RX never has any vibration no matter what condition.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey, I'm trying to find out what tire pressure Nissan recommended on the 2002 & 2003 PF. This is found on the door sill sticker or on the glove box sticker. I have a 2001 PF with 255/65R16 & 26psi cold is the recommended.
    On 2003s, it's 30 PSI. Tire pressure sensors go off if pressure ever drops to 25 PSI.

On Nissan/Toyota deal, I admit I didn't do very well (sorry), but intended to stay away from a direct inquiry of which is "better" and simply wonder aloud on that stuff that (sometimes) drives an increase in market share (even if they are less reliable somehow, or less safe for some reason, etc.). It's known as buzz, image, etc. - those intangibles that cause people to (sometimes) flock to movies and buy vehicles . . . and maybe cause a company's stock to increase as it steps out of the pack in our conscience, or perhaps our childrens. Yes, that 3rd Gen had the sweet looks; no one cared that they would never really off-road in it. Same for the 4th Gen, but the opposite, it just didn't have the looks perhaps (despite the Toyota solid reliability, which I of course appreciate as well); for some reason, never got that buzz; the whole Everest thing (unfortunately) never went anywhere. I too think I will end up with that 2010 Monochrome Black Runner; but you know, if this Pathfinder goes as it has so far for the next 7 years, I may just reward Nissan with one of its new version Pathfinders coming out. :/ It all just makes me wonder what 25 year old "kids" will be buying in their big buck 30's and 40's, that's all. Although I don't know which vehicle is "better" per se, I think all of this just leads me to the feeling that I should maybe be buying shares of Nissan at this point versus Toyota. Who the heck knows. Maybe I should check with a stock guru in NY first . . . NOT. :>
    Hey MJOHNR99, what size tires do you have... 16 or 17 inches?
    oops, didn't focus on your tire specs; looks like you have 16". I think anyone with a 2003 SE edition would also have 16". On the LE editions (which I have), they come standard with 17" and 30 PSI is recommended.
  • jmw4jmw4 Member Posts: 67
    I saw this post and had to ask the question. For an SUV, why is it the criteria of one SUV being "quicker" than another SUV very important? I can see if the subject was sports cars or performance sedans but SUV's? I think it more relative that an SUV have more hauling utility, transports more people, tows more weight, provides a more comfortable ride, or even is more reliable, would be more important to this category of vehicle. If one wants a race car, I would think a corvette or a mustang cobra would be more appropriate.
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    if one wants to race but sometime needs to haul and needs 4X4 abilities what does he do ?

Buy a fast SUV....

Unless he can afford both the mustang and SUV.

(sorry for the questionnable late friday night humor.... (or attempt))
    I didn't say a quicker SUV is important. I happened to see in post #6454 towards the end "...RX300...relatively slow..." then my own comparison between my two SUVs came into my mind, and that's all.
    Hey, anyone with a 2002 or 2003 with 16" tires... what PSI is recommended on the door sill placard?
  • mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    For my 2002 (16" Wheels) it states 30psi.
  • cbellamy2cbellamy2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 SE Pathfinder, and I'm getting a funny sound when I drive my vehicle at a low speed. I only hear it when the Tachometer is between 1 & 2. It sound like someone has silver coin(money) in a thin pan. I've taken the SUV in but as luck would have it, it wouldn't make the sound. In my subdivision I hear it every day when I'm approaching my home. I was also told to burn only premium gas which I'm doing. Is anyone hearing this noise & were you told to burn only premium gas?

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    it doesn't move forward or backwards. I've turned off the engine and restarted, but still in same position...all the way back. Will take to dealer in next week for a fix. This has happened before, but after restarting the engine and driving, the seat would adjust to the memory set.
  • pathtxpathtx Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Pathfinder LE. Since new I have experienced a slight vibration that starts at around 20 mph goes away and re appears most notably at around 38-40 mph. After 40 mph it is still noticeable but just slightly. The dealer has replaced the rear drive shaft assembly but did not correct the problem. They cannot figure it out. I don't believe that it is related to the shimmy discussions I have read. Has anyone out there had the same problem and if so found a solution?
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    My seat just locked up yesterday too on my '02 QX4. It only had 20K miles on it. What year is yours and what mileage do you have on it? Has anyone else seen this? I actually left a voice mail for my service tech today so he should call me first thing in the morning.
    I have a 2001 PF LE, 11k on the odometer. First thing tommorrow, it's going to the dealer and hopefully they can resolve this electrical issue. With my luck, upon arrival, the service advisor will try it and all of a sudden, it's back to working normally.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    The sound you describe (coins in a metal pan) is one I've seen resolved before as gravel trapped in the heat shielding of the exhaust system. This is fairly common, and maybe the harmonic vibration of the exhaust system between 1000 and 2000 is enough to get them rattling. Try tapping on a few places. Just a guess.
  • smibradsmibrad Member Posts: 34
    I have a 2001 LE and had the same problem with my driver side power seat. It would not go forward or backward. I had 37,000 miles. The dealer replaced the power seat motor. My dealer was nice and fixed it under warrenty even though I was over 36,000. Since then I no longer use the seat memory option. I don't want to risk having to replace the seat motor again. The motor cost around $200 if I remember correctly.
    Doesn't the seat always retract all the way back automatically when you shut off the engine regardless if you use memory or not? I guess, I don't understand that if you use the memory keyed in, how that would effect the wear and on the motor since I rarely change the seating position when driving.
    Both using memory and using manual seat setting will wear out the motor. If the extra-convenience of retracting seat is not important, just press that "cancel" switch on the dash.
    thanks! I didn't know that if you press the cancel switch, that this would disable the seat from automatically moving all the way back when shutting off the engine, than again back to the postion when starting the engine.
  • smibradsmibrad Member Posts: 34
    jiamin is right. I have the "cancel" switch on the dash turned off so the seat doesn't go all the way back when I turn off the motor. My normal driving position has the seat almost all the way back so I really don't need it to go back an extra 1-2inches when I turn off the motor.
    My Infiniti dealer says that he has had a few of these. The fix for it is a more powerful motor and steel gears. I am not sure what kind of gears the old one had but he said NOBODY has had trouble with the new ones.
    As I remember, if you select the cancel toggle switch on dash, it not only cancels the auto-seat-slideback feature as you turn ignition off, but it then cancels your ability to use the 1 and 2 seat-memory buttons, right? I agree the slide-back feature is just extra wear, but I do use the memory 1 button almost every day after the garage attendants re-adjust everything. It took me awhile to get the seat exactly right.

I guess I could leave it in cancel and simply undo the cancel and press the memory 1 button on those occasions that someone has fooled with my seat! :)
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    I guess I could leave it in cancel and simply undo the cancel and press the memory 1 button on those occasions that someone has fooled with my seat! :)

That's exactly what I do. I hate the idea of that seat going back and forth every time I get in and out...I ain't that fat! (yet). My daughter is the only other semi-regular driver and she has button #2...except when she changes it, I keep in in cancel. Now if I could only train her to put it back in cancel after she sets it back to #1...one out of two ain't bad :-)
    Although "auto back" is not so important, I always leave it in AUTO. I don't worry too much about its wear, comparing (not an apple-to-apple) it to engine pistons running at much higher speed every single day for much longer time. If the seat motor fails during warranty, fix it for free and then set it to CANCEL after seat adjusted; if after warranty, then I'm out of luck...
  • joe233joe233 Member Posts: 43
    I just had 30k mile service performed, and noticed that now when in auto-mode(on wet streets) I'm getting some vibration during slow turns almost as if it were in 4hi. This wasn't happening before I took it in for service.

30k mi is transfer case flush & repack wheel bearing, not sure how that could have affected it. Any ideas?
  • tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    Hello BigOrange30... been awhile since we corresponded per discussing reliability issues. Thought I'd check in and see how well your QX4 is holding up. But, by the look of things you are starting to have quite a few problems with your QX4, maybe time to trade it in and go for the Grand Cherokee afterall!
    Its not even in the same league. The new Consumer Reports has come out and again rated the JGC very low even up through the 2001 model. Its still among the least relaible SUVs available. The Pathfinder/QX4 again gets excellent ratings this year.

Do you actually read the nightmares on the JGC board? They are certainly not little things like the seat motor not working.
  • jr45jr45 Member Posts: 45
    Re the JGC, I almost bought one in '99 and again 2 years ago, but always hesitated because of reliability concerns. I'm shopping again this year and probably will lease a Pathfinder, but all those ads in the paper screaming discounts and rebates on the JGC are hard to ignore. For some reason, the Chrysler/Dodge dealerships in my area seem to buy more add space in the paper than the other makers combined. The JCG is an attractive vehicle, no doubt about it, but every major magazine and web site that reviews autos mentions the reliability issues.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Hey folks...had a problem the other day. Just looking to see if anyone has any advice or comments.

The wiring had a short...the little black box (sorry about the technical term, but I have no idea what that part is) in the line started smoking and so I cut the wires, stopping the condition.

I believe this is a putnam hitch, it has the round tubes..not the factory installed hitch, but the dealer installed it. It has no identifying marking anywhere that I can see.

I'm assuming a few things: 1) the wiring kit is independant of the putnam hitch, and is a standard item and 2) the fault was likely in the trailer wiring kit itself, so that replacing that will remedy the problem.

I plan to buy a replacement trailer wiring kit like this one. The part that fried is the light blue rectangular thingy in the upper right corner.

I assume that the connections are under some panels accessible from the interior rear, but I haven't looked yet. I also assume the instructions that come with the kit will be straighforward.

I have the ESM manual, but it seems to have no information on trailer wiring connections.

It's a 2001 LE.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    I installed the Reese model 74218C wiring harness to my 01 Pathfinder shortly after I bought it. There is no splicing of wires, or soldering or wire cutting. You need to remove the sill plate and partially remove the two interior panels which are at the rear of the vehicle proximate to the tail lights. You plug the Reese product where indicated, and there is no danger of shorts or sparks. Worked fine and flawless.

You can either leave the 4 prong plug inside the unit and run under rear hatch when needed, or remove the hatch in the floor of the cargo area, then remove the screws holding the storage area in place and feed the plug through to the spare tire area. I removed a rubber grommet, ran plug through, then siliconed the grommet where the cut was made. The Reese plug has a plastic flap which protected the plug from the elements.
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    in the morning was warming the car, and i noticed that the temperature gauge is clicking up and down in qucik motion. This had never happened before, is there something wrong with it or is it normal.
    My 02 QX4 never has that. BTW when fullu warmed up, the needle stablizes at about one fine division below the middle point, and I think it's normal. My three Nissan cars all point that way.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    that's abnormal. It should not move quickly, like a pendulum on a grandfather clock. It should move slowly upwards until it stabilizes near the midpoint.

Have it checked out. You could have either a bad temperature sending unit, a short, or a bad gauge. It would be very unfortunate to overheat and perhaps not know it.
  • yipikyayipikya Member Posts: 5
    I just had a factory bug screen installed on my '02 LE and now notice a very noticeable hissing at speed. Is this to be expected? Has anyone else discovered the same thing? Guess I can live with it, but it would seem that Nissan would have taken this into consideration when designing their shield. Thanks for any info.
  • airman72airman72 Member Posts: 19
    I noticed that too occasionally on my 02' PF SE. It quickly swings up and down a bit moments after start. I wouldn't be worried as long as the needle stays at normal position when the engine is warm.
  • dgobedgobe Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have one for sale? I saw them at http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/ , but they were $210 for the CD version and $275 for printed.
    Try eBay. I think there's a publisher that someone may recall the name of that has factory (not Haynes type) manuals.

No buying and selling here on Town Hall though, please.

Steve, Host
  • dgobedgobe Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Steve. I tried eBay and it looks like they only have manuals for earlier models.

I apologize for the solicitation. If it is OK for someone to post the name of the publisher you referred to, please do so.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Anybody found a performance brake rotor for >MY2001 Pathfinders?