Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• smibradsmibrad Member Posts: 34
    Here is an interesting article on regular fuel vs. premium.

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/gas3_20030403.htm
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    I wonder what is the scale of the degredation for power and fuel consumption. 2% 5% 10% ??? Does it really offset the savings of regular vs premium.

Where I live there is a gas station that prices Premium at the price of mid-grade every Thursday. I now fill on Thursday no matter what is left in the tank. I think that in that case 3 cents CAN a liter (or about 14-15 cents US a gallon) is reasonnable.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Hey the article basically says if your engine is designed for it, use it. The PF engine is designed for it. I think the point the author is trying to make is more about people "putting some premium in every so often" thinking they are getting some benefit. He/she doesn't at any point say use regular because you can.
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    2001 PF SE AWD 45,000 miles ... Message just lit up on instrument panel last week. Checked engine oil level and topped up. Light will not go off. Has anyone else experienced this irritation?
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    I don't believe that instrument panel light has anything to do with your engine oil; check your manual and it should explain what a steady vs. flashing light means.

[My saga continues with this light on my new vehicle . . . apparently it is NOT the gas cap afterall. Full report pending.]
  • looking25looking25 Member Posts: 19
    The manual talks about your gas cap may have not been tighted and to drive around a few times. However, we took our 2001 to the dealer and they replaced a C0 Sensor and reset the light. Hasn't come on since. wonder if it's due to all the snow we got in PA this year.. skeptical that it won't happen again...
  • tailwindtailwind Member Posts: 5
    It happened to me twice, first time, the dealer replace an O2 sensor, then a week later, the light pop up again, then the dealer replace the O2 sensor again, and it hasn't been on since then. (maybe they just took out my bulb...)
    I'm beyond the 3 year 36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. If it's the sensor, am I out of luck or would it be covered under the 5 year engine warranty? Or should I ignore and hope it goes out on its own?
  • nismoguynismoguy Member Posts: 7
    Take it from me they are the same truck. It should come down to which is the best value for you. I'd take the Path less traveled....
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Hehehe...that's a good one.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    We had a "mystery" rattle from the rear on our '01 SE that ended up being the muffler contacting the hitch when bumped.
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    The popping noise is not when bumped, but it only pops when driving on normal/bad road so it's kinda weird.
     Nissan recommends to change oil at every 3750miles, but why do I have to change every 3000 miles. Is there any specific reason. Dealer says its better for engine reliabity but I think it's just a way of making fast money for them. What would you people recommend whether to change at 3750 miles or 3000 miles.
  • bd70bd70 Member Posts: 30
    I don't know exactly how it sounds, but twice in the past with other vehicles I have owned I experienced a similar popping noise. Turned out to be defective shocks, both times. Took several trips to the dealer for the second vehicle to convince them that I was right when I told them that from a past experience I was guessing that it was a shock. I guess that it was because the vehicle was still under warranty and they didn't want to absorb the cost of a replacement shock. Anyway, I only heard the noise on rough or washboard pavement. If you are experiencing the same problem, I would have them check the rear suspension. BTW, never had this problem on my Pathy, but then again, it is only 2700 miles young...
    To make it easier, If I tap the back bumper on the right side or the hitch I can hear the same popping noise. Either there must be something loose or wrong with suspension as you mentioned.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    2003 Pathfinder LE 2WD on Saturday...I am impressed, decent acceleration, nice interior, did not have time to check heating, A/C, radio/CD, and a number of other items...have some usual questions, maybe been asked before, maybe not, please bear with me....I DID notice there is no adjustable lumbar support, so I wonder how the seats are (and my lower back is) after a trip over one hour...the sticker price was about $32K, but I have seen ads where they are advertising Infiniti QX4 for $29,500...can anyone give me their comparisons, if they have taken the time, between the 2003 Pathfinder LE and 2003 4Runner, also the PF LE and the QX4...I realize QX4 is Nissan's luxury version, but what options/goodies do you actually get for your extra $$$, and if QX4 is being advertised for $3K less than the sticker on the LE, should I even consider an LE over the QX4???

Lastly, and unrelated, one of my auto mags just showed a 2005 Pathfinder-type with a 5.6L 300 HP engine...that would be some vehicle, eh???

Thanks for the help on the comparison above...sometimes I get confused with the details, especially when the vehicles are not side by side, as they never are except in an auto show...
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    is a manual one on the right side of driver's seat, a little higher than the center armrest. I drove 4 plus hours one time from Bay area to Reno with no uncomforatable feel. Usually I don't adjust the seating position to get more comfortable on a long trip.
  • goose1207goose1207 Member Posts: 113
    See my message # 1661 in the Infiniti QX4 board. It outlines most of the major differences between the PF and QX4.

2003 4Runner is still v. cramped inside. If cargo capacity is a concern, I would stay away from it. It has about as much space as a JGC in the cargo area w/ rear seats folded --which is hardly any. Also, you will be paying a price premium since it's a Toyota. They're overpriced in this area.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    thanks to both of you...when I asked the sales rep about adjustable lumbar, he said that it did not have one...I did feel down on the left side, never occurred to me to check the right side...might help if the sales rep knew the product a little better, since he told me he had worked for Nissan for 14 years...maybe grist for "inconsiderate salespeople"???...
  • scottnhoustonscottnhouston Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 LE and have had no problems until now, albiet a very minor problem. I notice a squeaking/creaking noise underneath the drivers seat while occupied. Has anyone else run across this particular noise? I am taking it to the dealership this week and when I told the service mgr. the issue he said he had not heard of this problem before. So if anyone has encountered this in the past I sure would appreciate your responding to this post as to how the seat noise was fixed?

Thanks.
  • schleppschlepp Member Posts: 7
    Hi Marsha7,
    I've had my '03-PF-LE for 4mths and 10,000milies later I really like it. Check out message #6527 for my comments. I drove it on a cross country road trip and it was really comfortable. In fact I bearly let my cousin drive because I was having fun, especially in the lake effect snow of North Western NY. I do wish the lumbar support offered better support though. Overall the trip was great.

As far as price I paid $31,1050 with satellite radio, tow hitch, clear bra, and micro filter @ 2.9% finance rate.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions just ask...
  • lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    On my 2001 LE Pathy I have a squeak due to increased tension in the seat belt buckle when I drive with it on. Took me a while to isolate the source. Seems to be the clasp and buckle squeaking and when more pressure is placed on the buckle from the seat belt. Dunno if it is the same thing you are experiencing. Please le me know. When I give some slack to the belt the noise goes away. Thought about spraying WD40 in the buckle. Anyone have any suggestions?

Anyone delt with the slight rattle noise behind the center AC vents in the dash? Is there a TSB on it?

Going to take Pathy to dealer for rear suspension bottoming out under load and Outside temperate Display inaccuracy TSBs this week.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Well, it turns out there is a gasket for a coolant outlet near the back of the engine that is leaking. It is so awkward to get at, they have to DROP THE TRANNY to access it. Man, I hate the thought of them taking down a factory installed tranny to fix a leaking engine gasket, but at least it's under warranty...
    I believe there is a TSB for this. Check out the NHTSA website.
    Today I did 15000 mileage service, and later taking delivery of my pathfinder I found the vechile to be to stiff and rough. Soon, I checked the tire pressure, it had 36 psi in front and 38 psi in rear. I am pretty sure it ain't what Nissan reccomends, but why can't a dealer follow a simple procedure.
    My cruise control doesn't work at all, only the On light indicates and when I try to set at cruise speed, it's just no use. Can anyone help me with this.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    have you checked your fuses?
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    If it were a fuse, why would the on light work?
    Could be a different circuit. I doubt it, but I also doubt it's a fuse anyway. Thing is, it's so easy to check, why not eliminate it as a possibility? It's the only thing that's ever gone wrong with my PF in two+ years (oh no, I'm doomed now ;-) )
  • mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    I used to own a 2001 PF LE - and I had the Nissan Rear Window Wind Deflector added on by my dealer (for free) when I purchased it back in December of 2000. It really made a difference (IMO) on keeping the dirt - grime - etc. off the back of my PF.

I now own a 2003 PF LE and want to add the deflector myself (new dealer wouldn't add this on for me - but they did add a front bugshield though)...

Has anyone installed the Nissan rear window deflector on their LE? Are there any aftermarket versions of a rear window deflector out there>? How hard are these to install?

I suppose I could pay for labor to have it installed by the dealer - but I'm not sure how much they want to charge me...and if it's not too complicated I'm okay doing it myself...

Thanks for any info!
    I had gotten a rear window deflector for my 2001 at irontoad.com. Here's a link to the
    2003 version
    I am going to dealer on tuesday and hopefully everything gonna be fine.
    oh, you asked how hard it was. Assuming the installation is the same, it's not hard. You replace the hinges with new ones that extend up to support the deflector. The only trick is keeping the glass up while you switch...doing one at a time takes care of that. Pretty simple, really.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Nissan has unveiled the Pathfinder Armada. Go to http://www.nissanusa.com/ to see it. Looks pretty cool...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The 2004 Nissan Armada discussion. More links in there.

Steve, Host
  • gumdocgumdoc Member Posts: 7
    Brisoup, thanks for your comments; it's been awhile since I checked the message board and just now read your response. I am getting a complete stonewall from Nissan about when my satellite tuner will be installed. I have called the dealer twice, went up to the dealership (about fifty miles away) once, e-mailed Nissan's customer relations office twice (no response), wrote to them and got an unsigned form letter apologizing for my dissatisfaction with the dealer but completely ignoring the basic issue of when the tuner would be installed, called them and was told by a customer service rep not to worry, that he would get right on it and that I would not have to deal with anyone but him. That was about a month ago and no contact from him yet. I finally e-mailed Bose and got an almost immediate response that they would pursue it. That was just last week, so I am holding my breath. The car is great, the customer service - at least on this issue - is pretty poor. I suspect that they
    may not have the part (made by Clarion, I have been told), but since they are not providing any response, I don't know for sure. I encourage anyone thinking about getting a satellite radio in a new Nissan to get the port-installed radio and not risk the dealer-installed option, as I did.
  • itchingitching Member Posts: 12
    Bought a 2003 QX4 2 weeks ago after not getting no where with nissan dealers, couldn't understand WHY they both cost the same.Went to 4 dealerships and 2 where even higher $ 2000.00 higher. Oh yea what a joke in difference in dealerships. check out my board 1659 on the QX4. Good luck and buy wise.
  • mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    li_sailor

Thanks for the link....I may indeed order that one from irontoad.com

Also got a 15% off any Nissan accessories coupon from my dealer today...and I may just get the Nissan one from my dealer using the coupon.... it comes out to be about the same cost.

Still undecided on if I'll do the install myself or not - seems easy enough though...just gotta find the time!
  • v8seqv8seq Member Posts: 1
    I have a Nissan luggage carrier that fits the roof rack of a Pathfinder or Quest. It is in excellent condition. It folds flat for storage, and when open it has vinyl sides, supported by an aluminum frame. The carrier attaches to the roof rack using the "tie-down" screws, it will not work with any rack except certain Pathfinders and Quests. I suspect it will fit vehicles in the 93-98 date range. I no longer have the Quest, and would be happy to give this to anyone for the cost of shipping, which I guess would be about $25-$40. Contact me if you are interested.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please, no buying, selling or trading on Town Hall, including "giving" stuff away for the freight cost. Thanks....

Steve, Host
    2001 PF SE AWD

Well, it's been perhaps 2 weeks now and above meesage still constantly lit (not flashing). I have filled tank several times and was sure to tighten the gas cap securely each time.

Is it time to take her in? Unfortunately, I'm over my 3 year/36000 miles bumper-to-bumper warranty. :(
  • noise01noise01 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same thing with my PF. The Gas Cap was OK. Had to go to the dealer. The Intake Timing Sensor was replaced. At 64K Kms, I had to pay.

Service guy thought he was being helpful telling me that the repair might have been covered by warranty if the problem had occurred <60K Kms....
  • brisoupbrisoup Member Posts: 56
    I'm not sure if a oxygen sensor is covered by this but Certain emission parts are covered past the normal 3/36 warrenty.That info should be in the owners manual.
    What kind of woodtrim is used in pathfinder. I am trying a get a wood piece for a passenger side vent, but not sure what type of wood is it. Has anybody added if so please let me know if it matches with the factory install trim. It looks odd not having on one side of vent and having on the other side. Why did they do like that? It's just a single piece. Is there any reason for that.
  • mchinmchin Member Posts: 22
    I noticed on the side panel of the door that the tire pressure for a 01 LE is 26 PSI. Isn't this kind of low? I was wondering what would be an accurate PSI? I try to keep mine at 30 PSI. Thanks.
  • nyrfannnyrfann Member Posts: 2
    I just recently bought a 2003 PF, I go a deal I could not pass up. Upon pulling the PF out of the dealer I realized it did not have the Overhead Temp/Compass LCD. Now I know this is not a big deal I just happened to like it. Does anybody know if I can change the plain one to the Overhead Temp/Compass LCD? If so does anybody know the part #?
  • lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    Unfortunately, the wood trim you are referring to is actually a wood-tone plastic. I was wondering the same thing about the passenger vent missing the wood-tone trim. I asked my dealer to install it on my passenger vent and they said they would look for an exact match but, I have not heard from them again. It is not that important to me (not worth the hassle) so I did not bring it back up.
    I keep mine at 26psi all the time and have had no problems. Since that is what Nissan recommends, that is what I go with. I figure, why second guess the manufacturer?
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I think it's been talked about somewhere here. 16" recommended is 26 psi and 17" (optional size) is 30 psi.
  • mchinmchin Member Posts: 22
    Thanks. I was just double checking.
    wood tone plactic trim, but I guess we can't get the exact piece. Thanks anyways.