Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• mahipalcmahipalc Member Posts: 20
    Another set back guys! As I said, I was to go to the dealer last evening(45 miles away) to get the vehicle. I asked him to fax me the purchase order before going there so as to not expect any last minute surprises. What do I find....the vehicle has 2100 miles on it. I got very upset and called the guy, he says it was a mistake and told me that it is a demo vehicle. No wonder I got such a deal. Now I don't know what to do, they dont have another vehicle in that color with those options. He asked me if I would be interested in the car if they reduce the price by a couple of hundred dol1ars more. I didnt say anything to him as I was not expecting this and was not prepared to answer.

Help me out guys, what should I do here??
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    What you were offered on the QX4 sounds like a good deal but I have heard of even better over on the QX4 board. It sounds like the differential between QX4 and PF is very little now. I promise, you won't be disappointed in ther Infiniti service dept. They are the best in the industry in my opinion about the same as Lexus. You would not regret it.
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    If it is not already there (not sure), can Edmunds add a footnote or fine print with a statement to the effect of Post # 6754? I know I have seen others bragging about getting TMV and something thinking that was the low price they should be after and commended on getting, when often in situations it is several thousand dollars lower. I doubt this will be done (I can already guess why), but just one for the INBOX. [As for KBB, I reccomend using NADA when they buy and sell cars.] THX.

P.S. As for the bait and switch to the demo, I would refuse to do any further business with the stealer. Try a mass Internet E-mail to all your local dealers with the option codes and tell them you want a line by line listing of all your costs to the penny and you will come in and buy. That is what I did in CAT region. Most Internet departments respond with general "come on ins" and only give you a single # (as to which you're left guessing what it represents and wonder whether they will do better), but there will probably be one like mine (VOB Nissan in Bethesda, MD) where the Internet guy gave a complete breakdown, with T/T/T, option codes, and a final non-negiotable price. As a result, they were rewarded with me going in, test driving, and buying same for the nice $31K price at the time. I even tried haggling over a free tow hitch, but no-go; this price was final, kind of like carmax. Turns out, other dealerships really couldn't even do any better on the same color and equipped vehicle. The process was far more enjoyable then traipsing around dealerships (with the games you're experiencing) and it's too bad more dealers don't do same (although they are starting to . . . )
    mjohnr99

You are absolutely right. I have no intention of going back to that dealer now. I too live in the DC metro area and the dealer we are talking about is Darcars Nissan in MD. No matter how much research one does I guess there is always a chance of getting ripped off by these car dealers.

Thanks for the info about VOB Nissan!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Wouldn't it be great if you could determine what others are paying before you visit a dealer? We think so. That's why we've created Edmunds.com's True Market Value (TMV) pricing, our proprietary system that takes into account all market variables and gives you the bottom line price. Updated monthly, it's a guide that tells you what buyers are currently paying for new vehicles — or what dealers and consumers are paying and getting for used vehicles — before you begin your negotiations."

link

I'll add my own footnote: The data people think that TMV is the bottom line.

Depending on supply and demand, sometimes TMV is the absolute best deal around (think hot new models), and sometimes dealers will just laugh at TMV (not in the current market though!).

But someone, somewhere, is always going to get a better deal than you. Arm yourself with the info, and you can be that person. Heh, I should go into motivational speaking :-)

Steve, Host
  • rabi504rabi504 Member Posts: 15
    I have bought PF no may 30th,so far have no complaine.I have allwayes liked honda,and my first new car civic gave me so much trobule that at dealership they know me by first name basis. Any how I want to know how long you guys think I would be able to keep my PF without any major problem? I want to know how reliable are they?
    Does 03 pathfinder LE come in two different silver colors. Is there a differnce between sheer silver and chrome silver or are they two different names of the same color?
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    According to Consumer Reports, their reliability is excellent. I do have some monir complains about my 02 QX4. Their not reliability related but design related.

Little further, I think more Nissans/Infinitis are very reliable. I still have 94 Altima and the only "major" replacement is its distributor. 96 Maxima has absolutely zero repair but it's gone to junk yard after it was rear ended a year ago.
  • airman72airman72 Member Posts: 19
    I read in another PF forum and it appears that some folks have had difficulties locating and removing the drain plugs, which makes me a little hesitant to DIY. So, did anyone find it fairly easy to do it on a '02 SE? If it is a lot of trouble, I probably have to go to the dealer... Thanks.
  • wildcorgiswildcorgis Member Posts: 84
    Haven’t posted for a while. So thought I’d just give an update of my 02 2WD PF.
    I’ve had it close to 15 months with a little under15K miles on it and as expected have had zero problems with it. Just changed the oil every 5K. Mileage has improved a little but still get 14mpg with all city driving and 21 all hwy. I average about 16-18.
    Don’t have any major complaints or minor ones come to think about it. I go camping with my little boy once a month through the Y. and do get to take it on a lot of dirt and rocky roads. Holds plenty of stuff inside including our bikes.

When I decelerate it does shake a little but it might be because of the road surface, as I can’t duplicate it all the time. Hopefully it’s not warped rotors! Love the light colored interior but I’ll never get it again. A 5 yr old and 2 dogs make it so I’m constantly wiping the seats to keep them clean. Thanks goodness I Scotchgaurded them when I first got it.

I’m very please with my purchase, still might have been better off with a station wagon but the only one I considered was the L.L. Bean Outback and it was way too expensive then, close to 30K and I don’t really need 4WD. I do like the looks of the 05 Legacy wagon. Oh!, and on a side note while driving back from the desert in San Diego I saw a red Nissan Xtrail with Mexican plates on it. Looked very nice and sized right. Wonder if you can buy one in Mexico and bring it over?

Happy Pathfinding!!!!

Steve
    You want to handle this one, Jon?

:-)

Steve, Host
  • mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    Who wants to take bets on how ugly this thing will look? I sure hope it doesn't, but if you follow the trend.....

http://www.nissannews.com/?http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/news/products/relmatt2003062583640.shtml

I wish it would be built in Japan.
  • bd70bd70 Member Posts: 30
    Anyone know of a good source for ordering the OE Duelers, other than the dealer? I know that they are not a favorite among anyone here, but I had a little run in with a road hazard and need to replace just one. The other four are still in good shape, 3 with about 5k on them and the spare which had no mileage on it. Which leads me to ask, is the spare already balanced and suitable for regular replacement use? It is the same size tire and rim. Just wondering. I still need to have a spare though. If I had more miles on them, I'd replace them all with something else. Not an economically feasible option right now.
  • wildcorgiswildcorgis Member Posts: 84
    try www.tirerack.com
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    A few months back, poseidon asked about the replacement for the Pathfinder - not the Titan based Armada. Here's the scoop from TCC:

Nissan Pathfinder Moving to Tennessee
    As Nissan moves to the final phase of its North American product renaissance, the Pathfinder SUV is moving to the company’s Smyrna, Tenn., assembly plant, where it seems likely it will share a common architecture with the next Xterra and Frontier trucks. Nissan says the new Pathfinder — not to be confused with the Titan-based, full-size Pathfinder Armada SUV built in Mississippi — will enter production in Smyrna in the fall of 2004. The company will add 800 new jobs at the sprawling factory and its Decherd, Tenn., engine plant to accommodate the new vehicle."
    Another story:

Smyrna plant to get $250M expansion, Pathfinder SUV (Clarion-Ledger)

Steve, Host
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    Just a economical thought...Call up your local tire dealers and see if they have a used tire...Then put the good spare on and use the used one as your spare...
  • twelsh140twelsh140 Member Posts: 7
    I have been the proud owner of 4 Pathfinders. My newest is a 2003 LE. But the performance of the air conditioner has been very poor. The dealer did check it out but said many customers are very unhappy with the AC performace. On a hot day after 30 miles of driving the temperature output at the ducts is 53 degrees outside temp is 90. Thus I was wondering how many 2003 owners were having the same trouble. My 96,98,2000,2001 all perfomed with no trouble and output air at duck was 40 degrees. My dealer has been fantastic through out the years thus i tend to think Nissan is having trouble. I wonder what part or parts they changed between the 2001 and 2003 model years
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    I have been hearing annoying ticking noise which seemed to be coming either from transmission or somewhere else just can't figure it out. I can hear tick tick sound at any speed, I checked everything but no luck. I was wondering if any of pathfinder owners have had the same kind of ticking sound. It would be great help. Any hints guys.

Twelsh 40, I think the a/c performance problem is not with the 2003 only but also 2002. I have 2002 LE and a/c seems to be very weak compare to other cars. In hot sunny day the a/c does not seem to be cold at all, but I did find a solution. I tinted all windows which helped a/c work better than before.
  • twelsh140twelsh140 Member Posts: 7
    In my home state of New Jersey we can not tint the drivers, or passenger door glass. I have a sun shade for the windshield, and i leave all 4 windowns open a little bit. I have also tried taking the transmission out of overdrive. This makes the compressor turn at a higher speed with no real improvement. I will contact Nissan factory and see what they can do. The dealer says they have a very complicated chart that shows the performance difference between Freon and R-134 but I have had 3 other pathfinders all having the R-134. So the factory, or the bean counters changed something. I will not be buying another pathfinder until they ( nissan ) fixes it.
  • 1994pathfinder1994pathfinder Member Posts: 2
    I am getting about 14 miles to the gallon on my 1995 Pathfinder XE 2 wheel drive. I drive 80% in the city. It is supposed to get around 15. My tires are inflated to about 36 PSI. I know that is a little hight. Could that be contributing to the poor mileage? Is this unusual Does anyone know how I can improve my gas mileage?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Just finished washing my 2001 LE. Noticed the front bumper skin will move up and down about 1/8" if I grab it and pull/push. Anyone else's do that or should I be checking fasteners?

The plastic finishing trim (bumper skins, wheel well mouldings, etc.) sure mark up a lot. Mine are turning into an almost matt finish from small rock chips.

One more warning for those with wheel well mouldings - clean with water under force directed toward you as you stand beside the wheel. Those fender extensions fill with sand and muck (salt filled I'm sure).

Mine is now 3 years old - 33,000 km.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    My local Costco was able to special order Duelers; it took 2 days for them to arrive. But they were $30 per tire less expensive than anywhere I could find, including tirerack.com.
  • cm3246cm3246 Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone tell me if there is a good website to go to for ordering a wind deflector for 03 Pathfinder? I really didnt want to go to my local car store or to the dealership unless I absolutely have to. Also does anyone see the need to get a wind deflector for the sunroof?
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    cm3246- I'm can't remember if Edmunds allows posting links to specific vendors, so try this link for starters.
  • jett456jett456 Member Posts: 50
    Will my old Nissan luggage container fit on the 2002 Pathfinder. I have used it on the 2000 and the 98 model. This Pathfinder has a different luggage rack than the previous models. Does anybody know?
    Links to vendors is ok. Links to salespeople is frowned upon.

It's hard to beat a google search for aftermarket suppliers though.

Steve, Host
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    With regard to Pathstars comments, I do believe that the rubber on the bumper is quite soft and easier marred. On my trip home with the vehicle (delivery was March), the front of the vehicle was peppered with sand and gravel from a few passing vehicles [had it been broken in, they would have not got passed me :)]. I have applied touch up paint, but the marks are apparent. I purchased the front nose mask to prevent further occurrences, and note that the grille/headlight area has some 'flexibility', as I can force the mask attachments in place by slight movement to the grille area. I have almost 48,000 km on the vehicle, and am ready to install new Nissan long life coolant, now only to find the block drains?
    I got mine from NissanParts.cc

It was $73 and change, $12 for 2 day air shipping to me. Great prices! $7.50 for ground shipping.

If you are on the east coast I suggest you take the 2 day like I did, because they are in Washington State.

It was very easy to put on the defector.

The only problem was that my 10mm socket was not deep enough so I had to buy a deeper one.
    Woodyr1, the left side one is on the front of the engine - look about 1/2 way down and you'll see a "hole". It's in there. Beware, as if you remove it it's real hard to get it back (I had to use a tiny magnet inside a socket to feed it back in there). The right side one is behind the motor mount or under the exhaust I think (I never found it - did the coolant change without draining that side). I just rinsed it several times. You can remove two coolant related things on the top of the engine - there is a plug near the front on a metal line and you can pull the rubber cap at the rear of the engine (as per the manual, as I recall). If you force water into the rad. the pipe with the rubber plug will squirt water on you. Quite funny, I thought (it started out squirting coolant, even though I had drained and rinsed it fairly well). Remove the undertray and the rad. drain plug as well as the cap. I used standard green etheline glycol coolant (Canadian Tire brand) mixed 60% coolant, 40% distilled water. It has worked fine (when I posted this last year one reply from the US said I would almost never need this low temp. protection - nice to live in a "warm winter" climate - and, it only takes once to damage the engine. I figured it would give me better corrosion protection.

Have fun!
    Finally, I got my 03 Silver Pathfinder LE with black interior yesterday. The options that it has are XM Satellite radio, floor mats and in-cabin micro filter. MSRP was $34,995 and the purchase price $29,694. Out the door cost was $30,995(with tax, title and tags). Price includes the $1500 Nissan rebate and I also qualified for 4.25% interest rate for 60 months(It was a 0.9% apr or $1500 rebate).
    I have been shopping around for quite a while and it was a big dilemma whether to go for QX4 or the Pathfinder. The best deal I got on a QX4 was $2300 more than PF. After the decision is made, I feel really happy now.
    Can't wait to take the car for a long drive!!
  • sonardudesonardude Member Posts: 12
    I posted this on problems & solutions, but maybe more will see it here. The changer won't load any CDs and I get the Err2 code. The dealer says that it needs to be sent to Clarion and will cost about $350 since I have 38K miles on it, although it is only 2 1/2 yrs old. Any experience or suggestions on this would be appreciated.
    For $350 you can get a pretty nice aftermarket unit installed. I have seen several complaints on the 2001 units. Mine is still working, but like you, I only use it on long trips (2-3 times a year). I just put a new unit in my RX-7. It was an Alpine that also does MP3 files (put all my CDs on 8 discs). Yes, it wouldn't be a stock part (yea). I'm not too impressed with the Bose hardware, though their engineering seems sound. It seems they get the electronics from the low bidder ;-).
  • nikiblue1nikiblue1 Member Posts: 44
    I have about 33500 miles on my 2001 Pathfinder, 5spd. Overall I love the vehicle. So far I had the following minor problems with PF:
    1. CD changer would not eject cd's (It would not play them as well)--dealer replaced the whole stereo. I have seen numerous cd systems with 10-12 disc cd changers for a lot less then $350.
    2. AC does not blow cold air. The dealer auth. mechanic stated there may be a leak in the system. Overall I think the AC system itself is very weak compared to American cars. I'll have to drive 150 miles to the closest dealer to get that fixed.
    3. The driver seat move slightly during turns. I had it fixed once already, but it still moves a little.
    4. Outside temp. gauge does not read correct temp---dealer stated it reads fine during their test
    5. Still getting the vibrations of the steering wheel while applying brakes at 60 to 70 mph. The rotors may be warped due to a lot of mountain driving.
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    You want to handle this one, Jon?

You won't have even the faintest chance of getting any vehicle in from Mexico and get it registered. None will meet any of the US emissions or safety criteria.

Canadian vehicles do meet all regulations, but Nissan (like most other manufacturers) now won't allow the dealers to sell new to US customers.

-Jon
  • goose1207goose1207 Member Posts: 113
    We have a 2001 that was purchased new in Dec. 2000. It has almost 40k miles on it now.

The CD changer works fine. It is the original changer and I have never had any problems with it. In the past, I've heard people say that it wouldn't play burned cd's/CD-Rs/CD-RWs. It plays them fine on mine.

The A/C is ice cold. We have had oppressive humidity levels here in Boston for the past week and the A/C performed flawlessly. The A/C and overall the ATC system works great and is very accurate --more so than on my BMW 7-series.

The front bumper and wheel well moldings are fine. No unusual marks or blemishes. The only thing I have noticed is that the body side moldings are slightly discolored.

Also, the front passenger side door is hard to close (recent problem). I had the stealer lube the hinge at my last visit but that didn't fix it. I have to take a look at it because I think the weatherstripping could be loose or somehow getting in the way of closing the door.

I have no doubt that my PF will last 200k miles and then some. I just hope that I can keep it that long --I'm tempted to get the new Titan Crew Cab when it's available.
  • spinbearspinbear Member Posts: 9
    Wow, dude, relax a little, it's just some scratches, nobody died, you didn't total it. Not the best decision, but full of hatred for yourself? That's a bit extreme. Especially since it can be fixed. Depending on how deeply it's scratched, it might be able to be compounded out by a competent detailer. If you went all the way through all the clearcoat down to the paint, it may need repainting, no idea what that costs. Hope it just needs compounding. Good luck.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Chances are that you'll be able to use some polishing compound, like Meguiar's Scratch-X, to remove the scuffing of the clearcoat. I doubt you actually damaged the paint.

Never use a Scotchbrite scrubber on your paint, especially not the scrubby side.
    I guess that means that all those VWs and GMs made in Mexico for the US/Canadian market aren't sold for domestic consumption at all.

Steve, Host
    I was on I-95 and and had to brake semi-hard (probably 3/8 of brake travel). My rear locked up and I almost lost control the rear end of the car.

Ever since, the pedal has been firm, as soon as I touch it feels like I am pressed much more than I am, but I can still press it further, just its hard.

It slows down by itself now - not that much, but enough that it feels that the rear drum(s) are sticking or something.

The steering is also heavy at all times since this.

Besides going to the dealer, which I will, does anyone have any suggestions or theories as to what is wrong?
  • deebardacdeebardac Member Posts: 23
    With reference to Post 6502. After a further 4300 miles on the Cross Terrains tread left shows 7/32nds outside and
    6/32nds on the inside. Seems 28lbs was a good pressure but I am going down to 26lbs to see if the wear evens out. The left rear tire showed slightly more wear, possibly due to the weight of the driver plus the fuel tank all on one side. Total miles on tires sofar 14000 miles.
  • pathy32000pathy32000 Member Posts: 4
    Hi. I was hoping someone might be able to give me the real numbers for 3 parts for my '98 Pathfinder SE. Out of 3 dealers, I've gotten several different numbers and no one can seem to agree. They are insisting that their numbers are right but too bad I won't know until I special order the parts - then they aren't returnable. ANYWAY, If anyone has access to the part #s for 1.Vacuum Cut Bypass Valve, 2.Vacuum Cut Valve, 3.EVAP Purge Control Valve(this is the duty cycle type) THANKS!!
  • bkfulbrightbkfulbright Member Posts: 15
    Just curious if anyone out there has replaced their in-cabin microfilter. I have a 2001 LE with almost 19,000 miles. The service manual says it should be replaced at 15,000 but my wife's Honda Accord didn't need to be replaced until 30,000. The local dealership wants $34 for the filter not counting the installation. I think I could do it myself, but would appreciate the input. I called Advance auto to see if they had an aftermarket filter, but they told me that the Nissan place was the only place I could get one. Bummer!
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    I have 26K on my QX4 and did not let them change it at 15K. How dirty is it really at 30K? Did you look at the Honda filter after it came out at 30K? I will ask for the filter when I get it changed and I believe my service department to be honest but I don't know for sure if they will give me MY filter.
  • smibradsmibrad Member Posts: 34
    I have a 2001 PF with 49,500 miles. I changed my microfilter at 30,000 miles. Most of my driving is on paved roads, yet the filters where very dirty! (Yes, filters. There are two. One sits on top of the other.) I replaced the filters myself. They come with instructions and it only take 20 minutes to replace. All you need is a screw driver. The instructions say to disconnect some wires, but there is plenty of extra length that I just left them connected. In my opinion, it is now worth paying the dealer to have it done. It is easy to do it yourself.
  • db2gurudb2guru Member Posts: 2
    No it wasn't fuel injection problems..

After visiting the dealer 4 times with this issue, I finally drove with a mechanic and recreated the problem after 15 minutes of driving.

Just to recap: When merging onto the highway, under heavy acceleration (30 to 65mph), the pathfinder loses power, and refuses to accelerate. Just last Monday I was stuck for 2 minutes going 30mph (Engine runs rough) on I-90, while cars were zipping by..

Well the mechanic said that the problem was the "Main Air Flow Sensor", but was surprised that the *Check Engine* light did not illuminate.

He had not seen this problem on PF's, but had seen this numerous times on the 01 MAXIMA. (which makes sense, since they're the same
    Engine) Why didn't they think of this before? (I don't know..)

Thank god I found it to, as I have 35600 miles on it, and was worried that they ask for money once out of warranty.

Other than this issue.. I've been very happy with my PF.. Not so happy with the dealer..
  • pumpdudepumpdude Member Posts: 4
    I concur with smibrad about the filter.

All you need is a screwdriver and 15-20 minutes.

Mine did not come with one so I had to use a razor knife to make the slot as my dealer said he had no way of "retrofitting" for the filter.

There are several on-line stores where you can buy the filter(2).
  • bkfulbrightbkfulbright Member Posts: 15
    Thanks everyone for the replies about the in-cabin filter. I think I will try to hold out until 30k miles for replacement since I can't tell I'm having any problems with airflow. I will do the work myself since it doesn't sound like it will be too complicated.
    Changing it is not complicated if you are comfortable removing dash pieces. You have to remove the glovebox (it is easy, but you do have to be brave). The instructions that came with the filter in 2001 were wrong. I hope they have corrected them (they neglected to mention one screw that had to be removed - and it was easier if you removed the logo plaque above the glovebox). If you look way back you will find my instructions in a post. Yes, I too had to cut the slot in the fan box for the filter.
  • phatnastycatphatnastycat Member Posts: 73
    Hello. I just recently purchased a 2001 Pathfinder LE from Carmax. I just realized the standard cargo cover is missing from my car and when I called a local dealer to order one, I about fell over when I heard the price they wanted for a new one. Does anyone know where I can get one for a reasonable price? I am also going to call Carmax and see if they can locate the original or replace it.
    Also, I a month from the basic warranty expiring and I am considering getting one of Nissan's extended warranties. I would appreciate a recommendation for a plan to consider. I have a local dealer willing to sell me the gold preferred for 5yr/100K miles for under $1K. Is this a good plan or would you recommend looking elsewhere?
    Thanks. I really like my Pathfinder and think it was the best bet for a used SUV in this class size.
    -PNC