Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Mine says 7500 (01 SE)
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    You're both right... the manual has two schedules. Schedule 2 has an interval of 7500 miles. Schedule 1 is to be used if your driving habits frequently include one or more of the following driving conditions:

Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles.

Repeated short trips of less than 10 miles with outside temperatures remaining below freezing.

Operating in hot weather in stop-and-go rush hour traffic.

Extensive idling and/or low speed driving for long distances, such as police, taxi, or door-to-door delivery use.

Driving in dusty conditions.

Driving on rough, muddy, or salt spread roads.

Towing a trailer, using a camper, or a car-top carrier.

So, basically nearly every driver qualifies for schedule 1. I use schedule 1 & my oil is usually pretty funky at 3,750 miles. But, to each his own I guess...
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think the only way to determine the quality of your oil at 3,700 miles is with an analysis. (Can you tell I'm in the 7,500 mile camp? <g>)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    with schedule 1 since i do lot of short trips. I don't really drive that much. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    True, I could tell MORE about the quality of my oil with an oil analysis. But, it doesn't take an expert to tell me that my oil started as a clear golden color & at 3,750 miles it is now black as night.
  • Options
    Oil is supposed to get dark. That means it's doing its job. Doesn't necessarily mean that it's useful life is gone, especially since oil tends to get dark in the first few 100 miles.

Did I mention that oil wars tend to be religious ones? :-). It's rather like Coke/Pepsi Mac/Windows Ford/Chevy.

Check out Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2; lots of good strong opinions in there too!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    cstowecstowe Member Posts: 101
    Wow, they take oil very seriously on that board...what a bunch of freaks.
  • Options
    suvowner1suvowner1 Member Posts: 33
    Anyone know any buzz on the next generation pathfinder, midsize, not the armada ????
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    been so amusing is that reality is the exact opposite of what most drivers feel is intuitive... light vs. HD driving is the best example...most drivers seem to think that running 70 mph up and down the freeway, all day long, is HD usage on an engine, while city stop-and-go is ofetn thought of as light duty because the car is "barely used at all"...yet the reality is that the city running, as most of know, is the REAL HD wear on the engine, but that belief probably explains why so many shops recommend 3000 miles as a rule of thumb...besides, find me 100 drivers, I would suppose well over 90 of them use their car in HD mode, city stop and go, so the reco of 3000 is not just so shops make $$$, it probably fits the needs of 80-90% of drivers...you do remember the old Fram ad, "pay me now, or pay me later"...best auto ad in years...in truth, no one can go wrong at 3000 to 4000 miles between changes...that is for dino oil...ask the guys who use synthetic, they have a different outlook...I use real oil, and will switch over to synthetic when real runs out...edmunds has a topic on synthetic vs real for those who want to brush up on the topic...the synthetic folks have a lot of data to support their position, well worth listening...I am an older guy who believes that the real stuff works for me, but their opinions are worth listening to...however, I do not have a link, but a Host might...
  • Options
  • Options
    sswagnersswagner Member Posts: 3
    According to Automotive News last week and their asian manufacturer preview, Nissan is redesigning the Pathfinder for the 06' model year, it should be available in early 05'. Both it and the redesigned Xterra for 05' will be on a modified Titan frame. There are rumors that the PF will have a third row of seats, but everything is very hush.
  • Options
    Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    So let's see...For the price of one oil change, $10.00 parts if you do it yourself...That's too much per year to really insure your $30,000 investment...Don't drink 3 Starbucks Lattes during the year...Even!............
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Yes, Jack, it is too much...:):):):):):):)
  • Options
    xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    The cost of changing the oil every 3000 miles is not that much considering the purchase price of the vehicle, but I don't like the effort and mess of changing the oil. My truck has a sturdy aftermarket skid plate that is a pain to remove and replace for oil filter changes, so increasing the interval lengthens the time between fussing beneath the truck. I've bumped my intervals up to 5000 miles.

By the way, what oil filter brand(s) and part number(s) do you use?

Here's what I've used on my 3.3L V6 for the past 60,000 miles:
    Purolator PureOne #PL14620
  • Options
    spinbearspinbear Member Posts: 9
    Washed my 3-month-old chrome silver PF last weekend, and noticed what looks like small specks of road tar or something dark in places that doesn't want to come off with regular automotive soap. It's unfortunately driven every day through a stretch of road that is constantly under construction/repair. Any suggestions for something to dissolve that stuff without dissolving the clearcoat? Thanks.
  • Options
    phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Try WD-40. Most folks have a can around and it is a safe first bet. Let it soak for a few minutes first, then wash off with dishwashing soap. Of course you need to rewax after that.

If it is still being stubborn, there are a number of road tar removers available at your local auto supply store...I've never had to resort to one yet.
  • Options
    Another product that works well for this is called "goo gone". It's available in many hardware, grocery and department stores (like Target and Wal-Mart).
  • Options
    wjporteowjporteo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 PF with heated seats. I've had heated seats in the past that put out enough BTU's to really help with lower back pain (I would use them even in the summer time), but the heat from the PF's is not even noticible in the low position and just a little warm in the high. The dealer has checked them and claims they're ok, but I think all they did was to see if they came on. Any comments?
  • Options
    mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    I don't have heated seats, so I won't be of any help, but maybe you should go back and ask to test out the heated seats of another Pathfinder on the lot? I'm sure they could let you do that.
  • Options
    I have heated seats on my 2001 PF LE & while I've never had heated seats before, I would say mine are the same as yours. I can't feel it in the low position & can barely feel it on high.
  • Options
    smibradsmibrad Member Posts: 34
    I have to agree with you, the heated seats are weak. On a cold day it takes 10 minutes before I feel any heat. Even then I feel only a little. When I had my 2001 PF in for service I complained about the heated seats and had them checked. I figured they were broken or something. According to the service manager they did a test to measure the output (can't remember exactly what they measured) but he said they were within specifications and were working normally.
  • Options
    pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Wow, you guys must have insulated underwear! ;-) My 2001 will get uncomfortably warm in the high setting, even when it's -40 outside. What I think is really missing is a heated steering wheel. My rear end can take care of itself, but driving with mitts on is difficult, and without them my hands freeze with outside temps. in the -20 to -40 range!
  • Options
    I think the temperature differences are all in the butt of the beholder. <grin>

Where is it currently cold enough to need the heated seats?
  • Options
    brisoupbrisoup Member Posts: 56
    I have a 2002 Pathfinder and my seats are just warm on the high setting.The lowest the temp has been with the truck sitting outside for several hours is about 15 degrees F. After driving for about 30 min I would turn the setting to low because my tush starts getting too warm.I've never had heated seats before so I assume this is normal. BTW: Who actually needs heated seats right now?
  • Options
    sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    i live in western pa where coal trucks leave all of my 3 cars {suv} with black streaks and spots of tar like substance on paint. after washing and drying, i use wet towel and wd-40 and black spots come off easily.
  • Options
    phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I'll second the vote for heated steering wheels. When it dips below freezing, that feature is awesome...

On the high setting, the seats are perfect for me, but too hot for my wife who usually turns it down or off. Like xplorx4 sez, it's really in the butt of the beholder. It would be nice if they heated up quicker, but I don't think they are intended to provide "theraputic" levels of heat.
  • Options
    spinbearspinbear Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the advice everyone, the WD-40 did the trick.
  • Options
    jmw4jmw4 Member Posts: 67
    I would also agree that the heated seats are weak even in high mode. On my Acura RL, the high mode is very hot, while 2002 Pathfinder is at best a tad above warm.
  • Options
    onboost91onboost91 Member Posts: 86
    My wife and I have a 2002 LE and our heated seats work great. We generally start on High mode and then turn them down before they become uncomfortable. Once we turn them on, we can start feeling the warmth almost immediately. I agree though its probably not enough to give any sort of Thermal massage benefit or anything but its fine for just trying to keep toasty.
  • Options
    foolsbrainfoolsbrain Member Posts: 7
    Can any 2003 PF owner confirms that the AC in the 2003 model is not as good as the earlier year? I believe that the AC system was changed and as a results, the AC air temp. has increased from 40 F to like 55F.
  • Options
    terrahawkterrahawk Member Posts: 10
    Took my '96 Pathfinder with 84,000 miles on it in for a 30,000 mile service today (dealer)
    . Tonight it is idleing rough and the check engine light is on. I'll have to call the dealer in the morning. I don't even know if its safe to drive back there (about 14 miles). I don't see any liquid under it so its not like anything is draining out and it looks like the spark plugs are all in. I don't see anything obvously wrong.

I do remember a little bit of a rough idleing (kind of a soft thumping I guess) when I left the dealer but I wasn't sure what it was. Also the brake peadle is pretty soft (the brake pads/drums were fine, but they flushed the brake fluid).

I did stop and get gas tonight. It was my next trip out that it seemed to be running rougher (like it is missing) and the check engine light came on. We went back and checked the gas pump I used and it was correct, unleaded (not diesel or something!). So unless, the gas station has water in their gas, then I assume the dealer screwed up.

I know I can't expect much help on this tonight, but its nice to post my frustration after forking out almost $1,000 between the tuneup and the muffler. I'll post what was wrong when I find out.

Peter
  • Options
    laundryguylaundryguy Member Posts: 89
    I had a 1995 Ford Windstar than ran rough suddenly. The car would drive. Could smell heavy fuel smell outside car - but no visible drips. Turned out the fuel injector jammed in wide open throttle position in one cylinder and filled entire exhaust system with gas in just a few miles of driving. This is a very dangerous condition - risk of nasty explosion. Will damage hundreds of dollars of oxygen sensors too. My mechanic did fix it - but he lost money on the $100 repair. Seems that the failure was in the injector board telling it to stay on. I would have it towed in or driven in very cold - 14 miles is too far and risks fire if this is the failure mode...

Steve in Central Wisconsin (1997 XE Pathfinder owner)
  • Options
    laundryguylaundryguy Member Posts: 89
    Typo - was a $1000 repair.

Had to replace my exhaust system from the rear of the catalytic converter to the back - was $560 of parts and labor - ooch. My front struts went recently for a truck that is driven on the highway most of the time - anybody else need new struts after just 75,000 miles? Thought the truck would have the super suspension to avoid those types of failures at that stage. Boy - what a nice ride after I replaced them - but the $860 bill was tough to swallow.

Only other complaint on the truck has been the cheap non-stainless 10mm screws that hold the brush guard on under the engine. I have just (4) left - the rest rotted out through the years. The guys that used to change my oil would break them and leave them in the holes - hardly anything left to hold the brush guard on with.

steve
  • Options
    terrahawkterrahawk Member Posts: 10
    Took it back to the dealer this morning and they fixed a couple things.

1) During the tune up the vehicle was run with the #6 spark plug wire disconnected and they forgot to erase the code this caused the computer to think it was still disconnected.

2) Bled the brakes. Brake system had a small amount of air in it.

Things seem back to normal now. Peter
  • Options
    twelsh140twelsh140 Member Posts: 7
    Thank-Thank finally someone else has entered data on the very poor performance of the AC system in the 2003 Pathfinder. Yes you are correct they did redesign the AC system used in the Pathfinder for 2003. An only the Pathfinder 2003. They have managed to make the system use less than one pound of refrigerant. Yes .91 pound to be exact.
    Yes Nissan is very aware of the problem and maybe some day they will cure the system. But for now people like us have to suffer.
    I have contacted Nissan direct and filed a complaint with them. Yes The local dealer has also filed a complaint with the factory. I have received two letters for feedback from Nissan thinking the problem has been solved. But my most recent letter has gone unanswered.
    Yes when hot out 90 degrees system will put out 55 and when its hot humid and above 90 well good luck. Local dealer measured a temperature at the back seat of 78 with the truck running at 65 miles per hour for 20 minutes. Local dealer has communicated that a large number of their customers are not happy. Local dealer has also confirmed a very large number of people in the US have filed direct with Nissan with no solution to date.
    My friends car was in an accident that required major front end repairs. When completed his AC is perfect only to find out Nissan supplied a 91
    Pathfinder system to replace his 93 system.
    I have also contacted Consumer reports and they are going to look into it.
    My suggestion would be to make sure you file a complaint with Nissan direct You can get info from your owners manual. I would also make sure the local dealer files a complaint on your behalf. and i WOULD SUGGEST YOU CONTACT Consumer Reports. Maybe If they get enough complaints they will publish it . But once again let me remind you they are only using this system in the 2003 Pathfinders. No other Nissan products have this system in fact they all have the bigger system even the Murano SUV has the larger system.
    Please let me know how you make out.
  • Options
    world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    Gee, I think I'll be the first one posting a winter tire question this year !!!

Since I picked up my Pathfinder in late October last year I decided to try to go through winter with the 4-season tires.

But I won't ty that again this year.

So, what is the best winter tire brand/model for the Pathfinder. I would like a winter tire with a good grip but I would still like the tires to be as quiet as possible.

Suggestions?

Thanks
  • Options
    anybody seen the new ad where they show the old pathfinder and then later the armada.
  • Options
    World Traveler - What tires did you go through the winter with and what didn't you like about them?
  • Options
    world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    Alwaysford

Ooops, what I meant is this: I went through the first winter with the stock 4-season tires my truck was delivered with, they were new (full thread). They were OK for a winter (althought they did not provide great grip on ice and snow).

But this winter I want to put "real" winter tires on my truck. I have the 17" 2003 LE mags 245/65/17. I plan to put the winter tires on those mags as I do not like replacing the mags for winter (I like the looks of my mags and winter's to long here in Canada to endure cheap winter replacement rims).

So I'm looking for winter tires that will provide a nice balance between grip and noise level.

Toyo? Bridgestone? Michelin?

World
  • Options
    I was wondering what tires it came with since there are lots of people who have been disatisfied with the Duelers. If it was disatisfaction with the Duelers more so than disatisfaction with all season tires, you might want to give some of the better all season tires a run. I have Michelin LTX's on three SUVs and love them. Much better than the Duelers (Pathfinder) which were like grease in the rain and snow, and also much better than the Goodyear RS/As that came off of my Expedition & Bronco.
  • Options
    jszeijszei Member Posts: 6
    The 2003 Pathfinder SE has 2 roof racks. The first are the rails as found on the LE. The second are the larger rails that run over the first. Then there are the crossbars, easy enough to remove. There is also the fairing or wind deflector. Can anyone tell me how to remove the second rack? I would like to leave the rails that are also found on the LE. The reason is that I have a Yakima bike rack with locking "rail riders" that will fit into the first set of rails. I do not want to have to buy the "mighty mounts" for the SE's tube rack, only to then have 3 sets of racks installed. Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    I'm not certain, but you may be able to remove the roof rack (not the tracks) by removing the endcaps (either the front or the rear) from the tracks, then sliding off the "second" rack through the ends of the tracks.
  • Options
    ssbfssbf Member Posts: 15
    Hi. I have some scratches on the front bumper of my 01 Pathfinder LE. Color of the bumper is the same as the truck ie. sierre silver. Will touch up paint work or do I have to send it in to the shop? Told that the bumper is rubber and need to be brought in so that it could be totally redone .
  • Options
    If the scratches aren't too large you can use touch up paint on the bumper. By "too large" I mean that if those same scratches were on the body sheet metal, would you still consider using touch up paint or would you think about spray painting it.

The bumper is made of plastic, and is definitely paintable. Body shops usually don't repair/refinish/repaint a damaged existing plastic bumper - they replace them - because the plastic is often scratched/gouged too deeply and can't be repaired well enough to make the customer happy in the end.
  • Options
    jszeijszei Member Posts: 6
    I found out how. You pop off the top of the rack's ends (up). Inside there are screws (torx) to remove the wind fairing & the rack itself. You will need the 4 caps that are found on the LE to cover the gaps.
  • Options
    notunesnotunes Member Posts: 3
    My '03 Pathfinder cd player, working normally yesterday, began reading 'Check Disc' this morning, refusing to play. The changer scanned for each disc, repeating the same message each time. I am using commercially recorded cds and did not remove them from the changer overnight. The stereo appears to be fully functional otherwise. If this sounds familiar, I'd like to know if there is a solution that does not require a trip to the dealership.
  • Options
    jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    The only thing I could think of doing is to run with a CD laser lens cleaner. It's got a little brush on it. I tried it on my 00 RX300 that does not run my CD-R. After cleaning it still does not accept CD-R. I assume RX300's CD player does not accept CD-R in the first place. My 02 QX4 plays CD-R no problem so far.
  • Options
    I have 245/65/17 and thinking of going for 265/60/17 or 255/65/17, but would like to know if any owners have gone for wider tires.
  • Options
    notunesnotunes Member Posts: 3
    Jiamin - Thanks for the suggestion. Gave it a shot, but unfortunately it didn't work. I'm beginning to think that the problem may be more mechanical. Normally, the cd spins while it is being read/loaded in the changer. In all cases now, it does not seem to be doing that. Looks like a trip to the dealer:(
  • Options
    airman72airman72 Member Posts: 19
    The wind deflector on my '02 SE roof top warped, leaving a big gap between the roof line and the air dam. On some nice days, the warp may go away. Is it a normal wear and tear after a year, or I need to contact the dealership for a replacement? Thanks.