Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    Not too bad considering Video system (1600 for DVD option). My 2001 Silver LE without Nav or Video was 19,250 with 26K miles. I bought it in Feb 2003, a year ago. Besides the age of the car you got a decent price IMO. Everything in excellent condition I hope. Best mid size SUV for 2001 year models.
  • Options
    meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    Does anyone know why the new Nissans owners manual doesn't recommend synthetic oil?
  • Options
    trextrex Member Posts: 1
    Just got a 2004 Path LE Platinum but could not find one with the satellite radio pre-installed. Am thinking about an aftermarket X-M system. Anybody know if the Bose head unit has an aux input (RCA adaptor)or does it all have to be routed through the antenna? Also, where is the best place for the satellite antenna. Thanks.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check in the XM & Sirius Satellite Radio discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    we still dont know the release date, but pricing is on nissanusa.com under future vehicles. it looks like it might have gone up only a couple hundred dollars.
  • Options
    Standard/Optional Features.....with higher price of course.

Mechanical

250-plus HP 4.0L DOHC V6
     270-plus lb-ft. torque
     5-speed Electronically Controlled Automatic Transmission
     Continuous Valve timing control system
     21.1 gallon fuel tank
     4 wheel disc brakes with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
     Active Brake Limited Slip (ABLS)
     Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)
     Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD) & Brake Assist (BA)
     available 2wd or 4wd system
     front & rear independent double wishbone suspension with
     stabilizer bar
     engine speed sensitive power -assisted rack & pinion steering
     265/65 R17 tires
     Full-size spare tire ( 16" aluminum alloy wheel)

Exterior

Fully boxed, high strength steel frame
     mesh grille with chrome surround
     body colored bumpers and fender flares
     body colored front and rear door handles
     Roof rail crossbars
     Side running boards
     Fog lamps
     Heated outside mirrors
     Auto headlamps
     Power Sunroof
     black rear privacy glass
     receiver hitch member
     4 pin trailer harness plug

Comfort and Convenience

Bose audio system with 8-speakers and subwoofer (satellite ready)
     6 disc in-dash CD player with MP3 capability
     Steering wheel audio switches
     accessory power delay (30 seconds)
     cruise control with steering wheel mounted controls
     dual front and rear 20-oz. cup holders
     flip out liftgate glass w/ glass hatch release
     front, rear & center console box 12v DC outlets
     digital clock integrated in audio display system
     front variable intermittent windshield wipers w/ washer
     leather steering wheel
     tilt steering wheel
     liftgate window intermittent wiper
     Leather seats and door inserts
     Heated front seats
     dual zone auto a/c
     rear a/c with controller
     power windows (DR/AS with one-touch auto down) and power locks
     dual power remote-controlled outside mirrors
     Driver memory package (seat, mirrors, pedals)
     rear center console vent
     rear window defroster w/ timer
     Fuel Filler Door (push to open) (unlocks w/central locking system)
     adjustable pedals
     auto day/night rearview mirror
     digital compass
     outside temperature gauge
     dr/as sunvisor w/ extenders and illuminated vanity mirrors
     leather shift knob
     silver painted center cluster
     wood trim (center console and window switch finishers)
     Rear reading lamp
     Cargo net
     First aid kit
     remote keyless entry
     driver & passenger sunvisor with vanity mirror
     2nd row hidden underseat storage compartment
     2nd row fold-down center armrest
     storage compartment underneath cargo floor
     8-way power driver seat
     Power passenger seat (4-way)

Safety and Security

Nissan Advanced Airbag System (AABS) for driver and front passenger
     side-impact air bags
     side curtain airbags with rollover sensor
     3 point front seat belts with pretensioners and load limiters
     ALR / ELR seat belt system for rear outboard positions
     adjustable front, 2nd and 3rd row head restraints
     zone body with front and rear crumple zones
     side-door guard beams
     energy absorbing steering column
     Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH)
     child seat anchor - 3 tether points
     child-safety rear door locks
     tire pressure monitoring system (with warning lamp in mter cluster)
     immobilizer theft deterrent system
  • Options
    not a higher price by much...only $400 for the top LE. navigation is now available.
  • Options
    If you are right then I think Nissan did a great job with the 2005. Just hope they solved the cramped rear seating issue. Also hope the 250HP/270Torque numbers are a lot better for the .5 liter larger engine when finalized.
  • Options
    New model is close in price but with a few options can rise quickly...

from the site above:

Their "build it" website is not thorough enough on price yet I think. Just see below.

Pathfinder LE: Rugged Luxury
    Starting under: $37,200
    Capability and creature comfort in equal measure. Adds real wood trim, a leather-appointed interior, dual zone A/C, and a host of refinements.
  • Options
    go where you should go. i guess i have to post the link all the way there. oops, i cant. when you get there, click "proceed directly to the build your future pathfinder site" then click the drop menu to "LE" and enter your zip code. after that, click on "design your future pathfinder"

its really not that hard.
  • Options
    2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE Platinum Edition

Total Designed MSRP† $31,910.00

Model: LE Platinum Edition

Exterior: Chrome Silver

Interior: Black Leather

Standard Features

• 240-hp 3.5-liter V6 engine
     • Automatic Temperature Control (ATC)
     • Bose® audio system with AM/FM/in-dash 6-CD
     View all standard features

Drivetrain

4x2

Packages and Options
     None Selected

Accessories
     None Selected

Base MSRP $31,350.00

Total Packages, Options, & Accessories $0.00

Destination & Handling $560.00

Total Designed MSRP† $31,910.00

2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Total Price† $33,560.00

Model: LE
     Exterior: Silver Lightning
     Interior: Graphite Leather

Standard Features

• Bose audio system with 8-speakers and subwoofer (satellite ready)
      • dual zone auto air conditioning
      • Leather seats with wood trimmed console

View all standard features

Drivetrain

4x2

Packages and Options
     None Selected

Accessories
     None Selected

Base Price $33,000.00

Total Packages, Options, & Accessories $0.00

Destination & Handling $560.00

Total Price† $33,560.00
  • Options
    a LOADED LE in 2004 with everything except satellite radio and dvd system is $36140.

a LOADED 2005 LE with everything except navi, dvd, and satellite radio is $36970.

i apologize, it went up $830...not $400.

the problem is that the 2005 has VDC standard where it is an option on the 2004. same goes for the tow hitch.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    physically significantly larger?

While the rear seat and cargo space may go up nicely (which pleases all the poseurs who acquire SUV's to drive them around suburbia), those of us who seek serious trails often find that smaller is better.

Besides which, lighter usually equals somewhat better fuel economy (as if that were possible with this engine).

Is the goal to drive (sorry) the serious off-roader to the Xterra?

Either way, they missed me by a year. I got my PF while it was still intermediate, before it started wanting to be an Excursion.

I think it was also the last year the Pathfinder was built in Japan
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    deebardacdeebardac Member Posts: 23
    The Cross Terrain tires installed on my 2001 LE at 31,000 miles have been replaced with Michelin LTX MS after 26,000 miles of use. The center area of each tire was worn down to the wear bars while the outer and inner edges still had about 5/32nds left. It looked like a classic case of over inflation but at 26 PSI this was not the case. I had contacted Michelin, and while they agreed that I was doing everything right, rotating every 4000 miles etc., they really had no advice to offer as to what the uneven wear might be caused by. A generous adjustment was given by Michelin but the problem was not resolved. Perhaps it was just a case of the wrong tire for the vehicle. Has anyone experienced this type of wear? The OE Dunlop Grandtreks wore exactly the opposite which prompted me to start out the Cross Terrains at 30 PSI but quickly return to 26 PSI when the uneven wear began to show.
    I will let you know what happens to the LTX. ( Started @ 28 PSI)
  • Options
    yes, it is getting bigger. should be about the size of a honda pilot or ford explorer. not huge, but useful. it is still on the traditional truck-based body-on-frame platform, but will also have an extra inch of ground clearance.

the problem nissan ran into was that the pathfinder lost its place in the lineup. the murano is a 5-passenger SUV with updated technology and nicer features (and is still built in japan). the xterra is more utilitarian, and does the off-road stuff better than almost every other SUV (under $40k).

so where, oh where do we put the pathie now? there is only one obvious answer. mid-sized, and with 3 rows of seats. at present, the only vehicles that nissan has that will hold 7 people are the armada and the quest. the armada is ok for folks who have $40k-$45k to spend. but for those who dont? the quest. what? you dont want a minivan? ok. have fun with your pilot or explorer, sir...bye.

pathfinder sales took a dump when the murano arrived. beleive me...we can hardly give them away. this move to "a little more pathfinder" is the best move by nissan next to the titan launch.
  • Options
    the added info, Keith. Appreciate it. I'm still pleased to have one from the last year of a very successful run of the original version.
  • Options
    people still ask for one "before they screw them up" (their words), but for the most part, the murano has spanked the pathfinder out of existence. to give you an idea, we keep over 20 muranos, and only about 5 pathies at any given time.
  • Options
    kesone95kesone95 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,

Just leased a 2004 pathfinder/pop package/sunroof package for 355/month $1360. down. How bad did I get robbed? or did I?
  • Options
    uopjeepuopjeep Member Posts: 2
    a friend of mine has a 2003 pathfinder. she was having problems with the vehicle overheating. the dealership claims to have replaced two thermostats to correct the situation. do pathfinders have a dual thermostat system?
  • Options
    omegapomegap Member Posts: 7
    Hello, It has been a long long time since i've been on this board! shouts to woodyr1 and pathstar.

Does anyone know if calipers are considered items that will be replaced under the 60000km warrenty.

I took my 2001 SE PF for a brake inspection at midas and was told that both of the front calibers are sticking/ceasing. Furthermore it is causing uneven wear on my pads and warping the rotors.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    warranty is powertrain only. engine, xmission, drive axles. calipers are not part of it unless you extended the b-2-b warranty to 60k.
  • Options
    coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    I am looking for a used PF 1996 to 1998 model year and wondering how to access the Edmunds archive to get more information on the reliability and performance of this model. This current list only goes back to 2001. Is there a way to get back to the past :)
  • Options
    Try this link for general info:

Used Car Pricing: Nissan Vehicles Select a Year

Then click on a model and then you can get ratings from JD Power, specs, etc.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This is the oldest discussion I could find: Nissan Pathfinder Main Comment Area

It contains 676 message with the last one posted in August of '99.

Nissan Pathfinder problems is actually older but only has 19 postings.

Good luck!

tidester, host
  • Options
    The second link for main comment area was exactly what i was looking for. Was this forum reachable from the main townhall forums, or did you have an insider's link to it ? It would be nice if the archived forums were still available to the users.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    The easiest way to get there is with a keyword search on the left sidebar. But if you go to SUVs there's a link at the top of the discussion titles for Archived discussions. Pages and pages of them (~800!)

(And Tides does have a special shortcut he created all his lonesome <g>).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    omegapomegap Member Posts: 7
    My pathy has < 60000 kilometers(~37,282miles), that is why i am trying to see if i can get the dealer to fix my caliper problem under warranty.
  • Options
    dude, you have to specify those things...lol. i thought you meant miles.
  • Options
    katetxkatetx Member Posts: 5
    Hi as you can see by my profile I have a 2001 Pathfinder LE (2 wheel drive). I am wanting to sell it. It has around 36000 miles. One owner,no wrecks. It has leather interior, sunroof, 6 CD player,exterior "bib" to protect front (just to give you an idea of what it has) I went to CarMax to sell it and they offered me $17,000. I know that they probobly will turn around and sell it for around 20-21K perhaps. My question is would it be worth the hassle to try and advertise it for around 19K to see if I could make an extra 2K? Or should I just take the CarMax deal. I am wondering if the used car market is weak like it was back in 2001 when I bought my car.
    Thanks for reading this.
  • Options
    CarMax makes it easy, but you almost always get more money if you sell your used car yourself. Especially if you price it near the TMV Private Party number. It can be a hassle though.

Check our Tips page for 10 Steps to Selling Your Car and other hints.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    That seems to be a pretty good trade-in price. I would definitely consider taking this deal. Like the host, I also am a believer in selling the cars without the dealer involvement, but in this case, the the money you are getting from Carmax is more than fair .. in my opinion and confirmed on this site' used car pricing section.
  • Options
    scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    Post your description over in the "Real-World Trade-In Values" board and Terry will let you know what it's worth on a trade-in and for private party sale. Be sure to include color, options, condition, and location in your post.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You can find it here: Real-World Trade-In Values

tidester, host
  • Options
    katetxkatetx Member Posts: 5
    Thank you all for responding. I have really thought about it and quite frankly after the research I am just going to sell to CarMax. I really do not think it would be worth the headache of having to sort out serious buyers from the ones that just want to haggle etc...
    I really thank you for taking the time to respond. By the way for those who have been pondering about purchasing a Pathfinder I would like to say that owning ours was hassle free of any mechanical issues. It was a good practical car to own. I would definitely recommend to anyone to seriously look at the Pathfinder. If not the Pathfinder look at the Toyota 4 Runner.
    Again thanks for responding.
  • Options
    nisspathynisspathy Member Posts: 5
    Hi I am new to this forum but did some research and did not find anything to answer my question.

I bought a 2001 Pathfinder SE (auto) last week with 50,000 miles. I am very pleased with it's car like feel so far. When I engage 4x4 under normal conditions (no snow or mud) the car makes a lot of noise especially while turning in slow speeds. The dealer says it is normal for 4x4 since the wheels are spinning at different speeds for traction when it is not needed so it will be rough and noisy. is this true?

Thanks.
  • Options
    alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    It's true, and you shouldn't be in 4wd on dry surfaces - the noise you hear is the drive shafts binding up because the wheels cannot slip like they need to (or as they would on slippery surfaces)
  • Options
    Thank you very much for the reply, I feel much better now. I had a 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo for 2 years and did not recollect this 4x4 noise on dry surface so was worried a little bit!
  • Options
    Just in case you missed what alwaysfords2 recommended .. DO NOT drive in 4LO on dry surface. You will bind your drive shaft ( big $$). If you wish to test your 4 wheel drive, take your rig off-road where you will really see it shine.
  • Options
    Did not know that! I would have tried the 4LO just to confirm that it works too now I definitely won't on a dry surface. Thanks a lot for the advice.
  • Options
    xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Another tip- don't use 4WD (Hi or Lo) even on wet pavement. The same drivetrain binding can result. Surprisingly, even wet pavement is a high-traction surface, compared to dirt, sand, or snow.

Finally, when engaging 4LO, be sure to move the lever from 4H to 4L smoothly, quickly, and without pause. Pull back on lever from 2H to 4H. Push downward while pulling back on the lever all the way to engage 4L. Do not stop in N. Any hesitation or pause will cause a disconcerting grinding sound, in which case you'll simply need to shut off the engine to complete the shift, then restart the engine.
  • Options
    Will follow!
    Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    ok now it is my turn for a question : why not engage 4Hi on wet pavement ? Wouldn;t that defeat the whole purpose of owning a four wheel drive if you can't use it during rains etc ? I understand that 4Lo is primarily for extra extra traction esp in deep mud/snow but didn't know about 4Hi restriction as well. could you comment ?
    thx
  • Options
    pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    The problem is caused by separation of the wheels, believe it or not. When you put the vehicle into 4WD you lock the wheels together via the transfer case, drive shafts and differentials. If there is any differential rotation (hows that for a term!), binding will result.

What I mean is if a wheel rotates faster or slower than the others. Because the mechanics of the vehicle have them locked together, when one tries to turn more or less than the others torque will build up in the drivetrain. It usually just causes eccessive wear when it happens but, if the drivetrain is carrying high torque loads (high powers) it can actually break parts! e.g. high speed on a paved highway, or in 4LO, sharp turn on rock with climbing. It can also cause you to loose control because it doesn't want to turn. Try it in a parking lot at low speed (crawling). Lock in 4Hi and try a sharp turn. You will see the vehicle doesn't want to turn! The drivetrain is binding up.

Turning means the outside wheels have to turn more than the inside ones. The fronts turn more than the rear. If you don't have the tire air pressures the same, the tire diameter can be different, so they turn at different rates. If you have different size tires on (not recommended!!) they will turn at different rates - even the same size from different manufacturers, or different models of tire from the same manufacturer.

4WD can be very picky! What it's intended for is "offroad" use. Loose surface roads, such as gravel, sand, or dirt as well as ice and snow allow the wheels to slip to prevent the binding torques from rising very high. You will still notice poorer handling, if you're sensitive enough. If you use it enough, you learn to use power to make it turn easier.

Wet pavement is actually not very slippery, unless it's covered with grease/oil.

Proper shifting as per most vehicle manuf.: -

From 2WD to 4WD Hi range - slow to under 50 MPH and with the throttle off (coasting) gently pull the lever into 4WD. Let it go at it's own speed, don't force it.

From 4WD Hi to 2WD - same thing. If you are on pavement or "hard surface" it may not want to go - just put pressure on the lever and turn the wheel slightly one way then the other (to take out the binding).

From 4WD Hi to Lo - Stop the vehicle, hold the clutch in, and gently push on the lever. Be advised, most low range 4WD cases give about 2X gear ratios, so the engine will rev. very high in first gear. You will also have better luck shifting gears (once in 4WD Lo) slowly. The syncros can have a lot of work to do spinning up those gears twice as much as in Hi.

From 4WD Lo to Hi - Same as going into low range. Stop the vehicle, and take your time shifting. You may have to release any binding the same as above.

If you have "manual locking hubs", you should lock them before shifting into 4WD and unlock them after shifting out of 4WD. You should also lock them for a day at least every few months, even if you are not using 4WD. Most drive train parts lubricate better when rotated.

If you have an "auto" 4WD system (Pathfinder LE and some SEs) the above applies if you switch to 4WD, though the shifting gently part is automatic. In "auto" mode you don't have to worry about most of it.

The "auto" 4WD system is my choice for wet pavement and partial snow conditions. Too bad it's only available as part of an automatic transmission.
  • Options
    has to do with whether your vehicle has an inter-axle differential or not. If it does (as with full-time AWD vehicles) you can forget about when the 4WD is on. I think the LE's have a center differential, but I'm not sure (I have an SE).

However, if either the front or rear axles lose traction with a center differential, all the power will go to the spinning axle/wheel, unless it's possible to lock it or it's limited slip. Many of the high-dollar AWD vehicles (Audi, et al) use the traction control system to apply braking to the spinning wheel to send power to the wheels with traction.

At lower speeds (in the ice or snow) or off-road, vehicles without a center (or inter-axle) differential do just fine. But on dry roads and/or at high speeds, where the wheels can't slip a little bit on corners, any vehicle without a center differential needs to be using 2WD. Besides the added strain & wear on the drive line, the unexpected/unpredictable wheel slippage really affects handling.

The tradeoff for the simplicity and lower cost (which I prefer) is that one has to have the presence of mind to use 4WD (especially low range) only when needed. Both axles are always fed power without regard to whether one has lost traction which, combined with LSD on the axle differentials, makes for a serious off-road machine (as opposed to a suburban utility vehicle).
  • Options
    pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    No, Pathfinders don't have one. In "auto" mode, to attain "full time 4WD" the transmission senses rear wheel slip, and applies hydraulic pressure to a multiplate clutch, which applies drive power to the front driveshaft. Once slip is stopped, that hydraulic pressure is reduced, and no drive is applied to the front driveshaft.

The new Toyota 4Runner has a torsen centre diff. - the best kind.

Which system is best? A good question, but best for what? It seems to me for on-road use (the most common use for SUVs) the system we have in the Pathfinder is most suitable. For off-road use full lock (no diff action) seems to be best.

For serious off-road 4 wheeling a short wheelbase vehicle is much prefered - such as a Jeep CJ7, a (out of production) Toyota Landcruiser FJ40, or a Suzuki. Long wheelbase 4WD vehicles such as SUVs and pickups work best on slippery roads, as they don't try to swap ends too quickly, but they are a real handful in severe 4 wheeling. Their length then works against them (high centering, difficult to guide through rocks, etc.). The extra weight doesn't help either.
  • Options
    any one care to comment which 4 wheel drive has been used in the pathfinders ? i was under the impression all pathfinders up until 2002 were using part time four wheel drive with a manual lever shifter to go from 2wd to 4hi and then 4lo but then someone mentioned a different system in the LE and SE models threw me off a little.
  • Options
    uses a shift-on-the-fly system, including an auto setting.
  • Options
    rabi504rabi504 Member Posts: 15
    Hello,I just want to know what kind of gas you guys are useing in PF.
    I have bought mine last may,and very happy with the truck.I have been useing premium,but wandering do I really need it.Please let me know.Mine is 2wD,SE. tHANKS.
  • Options
    Your best bet is to check your owner's manual. without knowing what year your truck is (bought new or used), it is hard for us to tell. My '02 Maxima with the same motor as the newer pathfinders runs on premium but your pathfinder could be different. Just befriend your owner's manual and you'll do fine.