Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• nisspathynisspathy Member Posts: 5
    I have been thinking to use premium, (1 fill premium so far as I bought the truck recently). 2001 SE with 50,100 miles. Read somewhere in the mannual to use premium not sure if I need to, dealer said to use 87 grade regularly and once in a while premium!!
  • omegapomegap Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking to purchase a service manual for my 2001 SE pathy. Anyone got any suggestions of which publisher prints the best one?
  • blawsonblawson Member Posts: 19
    For my other cars, I have used Haynes manuals. I think they do have a manual for the 2001 Pathfinder. Most auto parts stores in the Maryland area carry them. I believe you can also order one directly from their website (www.haynes.com).

Unfortunately, the last time I checked the Haynes website, there wasn't a manual available for my 2002 SE. I checked with Haynes and at the time there was no plan to produce one for the 2002. I'd be curious to see what service manuals are available for 2002 and newer models.

In addition, dealers used to provide a service manual you can order, but the last time I checked with Nissan, it was VERY expensive. I haven't checked recently though.
  • rabi504rabi504 Member Posts: 15
    hi everybody,I have been a proud woner of a PF SE for last 1 year.I am very happy with the purchase.
    I want to know what grade gas you guys are useing,I have been putting in suprime,since it recomanded suprime,please let me know
                                     thanks
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    If your Pathfinder has a 3.3L V6 engine, it needs only 87 octane. If it has a 3.5L V6 engine, it prefers 89 or 91 octane, but will run at reduced fuel economy and performance on 87.

If you don't know what size engine you've got, check the owner's manual. Another way to tell is that if you've got a 3.3L, the tailpipe exits the rear right corner at a 45-degree angle, whereas the 3.5L engine exits the rear right side, nearly straight out under the bumper.
    As other members have commented, part-time systems lock the front and rear axles together, and are therefore not recommended for use except off the pavement (even when it's just wet from rain). Only full-time 4WD (or "All-Wheel-Drive") systems can be operated on any type of terrain without any problems. Shift-on-the-fly part-time systems are used on all Pathfinders except 2001+ LE models and all Infiniti QX4's.
  • langodlangod Member Posts: 33
    'Course the 3.5L also says "V6 3500" right on the engine..... (grin)
    Thanks to all who responded to my question. I have 3.5 l engine,and I have bought it new 2003. Here what manual says,It will run on regular,but it recomands to use premium for better performance. Now I don't know what they ment by better performance. have also read in this column some where that a lot of people have problem with o2 sensor. what I am afried of, that reglur may mass with o2 sensor or other stuff!!!That is why I have been useing premum even in time when gas price is very high.I also want to appologyge to every body for posting same question twice by accident.
    Nissan sells service manual,in cd version only and costs 176.00.you can call nissan customer service to get the number to order service manual
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    my recommendation is to stick to nissan specs and use premium gas. I recently fed my '02 maxima with same 3.5 liter engine 87 octane gas and i really felt a difference in engine response and acceleration. The engine seemed to work a lot harder and even pinged a few times. I realize this engine will adjust and retard the timing to run on low octane gas but in my opinion, it is just not worth the risk.
  • cretecrete Member Posts: 105
    I have a 2001 QX4 and it is making the same whining noise when I first start the engine...have you been able to get a solution to the problem as I'm going to the dealer soon.
  • roger619roger619 Member Posts: 4
    Hello, fellow Pathfinder owners. Two weeks ago I bought an '04 PF SE and immediately started using it on my daily 86-mile round-trip commute, respecting the break-in rules of varying speeds, gentle acceleration, keeping RPMs below 4000, etc. However, I noticed last night when the engine was cold that the coolant level in the overflow tank was barely at the MIN level, although I haven't had any problems, smelled anything unusual, or noticed any leaks. The outside temp. has been around 80 during the daytime; maybe after the vehicle's been driven the excess coolant just takes longer to seep into the overflow tank? Advice appreciated.
  • pathalogicalpathalogical Member Posts: 34
    If you purchased a used vehicle, it doesn't matter what kind of gas you use because you don't know what the previous owner put in it, or even if they serviced the vehicle according manufacturers service recommendations. They could have put in the cheapest, lowest grade fuel from a gas station with "one location to serve you" because they knew they were going to get rid of their new car in 2 or 3 years time, knowing that some one is going to buy a 2 or 3 year old used car. I bought my Pathfinder brand new and have had it just over one year. I have been using regular grade gas since day one from a well known gas station with many locations to serve me. The owners manual says "Premium fuel is recommended for maximum performance" it even says so when you open your filler door. People seem to think that 'recommended' means 'necessary'. If you're going to use premium, then use it all the time, don't be picky...one day premium, next time mid-grade...and if you use premium, don't even think about complaining and being a cry baby about the price of gas. You choose to put in expensive gas, nobody forces you to put it in. Gas prices and MPG was NOT a cosideration when I bought this suv, which allows me to persue my favourite hobby, that I like to call : Driving around, wasting gas !!!
  • zzr12zzr12 Member Posts: 18
    I have made an interesting observation using mid and premium grade fuel on my 04 Pathfinder. On mid grade I averaged 18.8 Mpg and was able to reach 145kmh on a steep long uphill stretch of road that I travel. The following week I filled with premium and averaged 17.8 Mpg and reached 139kmh up the same hill with similiar load and weather conditions. Based on my unscientific research I will be using mid grade and possibily trying regular.
  • lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    Let us know how you do with regular gas. I would think it would be the worst of the three grades.
  • drbigzdrbigz Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2001 LE 4x2 automatic tran. I can't seem to find any documentation that says that I have Limited-Slip Diff. How do I find out or does that come standard on an 2001? What kind of fluid do I need to replace what it currrently has?

Also, I will be changing my transmission and transfer case oil. Do both of these use the same automatic trasnmission oil?

Thanks in advance.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    the PF on what's called here in AZ the "back way to Crown King" yesterday. We made it, with only a few bumps. This "road" is well known here as about the most difficult one a stock SUV can ever hope to do.

Ours did it, not without a few raised eyebrows and other body part dislocations by various people in the party, but it well and truly did it.

It was an excellent opportunity to bond with the "new" vehicle. I'm very pleased to have bought something truly capable of gnarly off-road travel. Can't wait to try other trails. Most of the book difficulty ratings don't go any higher than this one for stockers.

Stay tuned.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    and jeeps, land rovers, and xterras are the only ones ive heard of that do it without difficulty. glad you got through it!
  • pcrowlespcrowles Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know of any?
    An LSD is indicated with an orange sticker that says "Use LSD Oil Only". Look for the sticker which is applied to the top of the back cover of the differential (the bulging center portion on the rear axle). If you don't have the LSD, the sticker won't be there.
    Keith,

How did you come to live in KY and have knowledge of a trail in AZ? Are you expatriated to the Bluegrass country from the Southwest, or do you spend winters out here?

Just curious.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    i grew up in detroit, went into the army, and was stationed here at ft. knox. after my parents divorced, my mother moved to tucson (she had cancer) for health reasons. i go there 2 weeks every nov/dec.

ive never been on the trail, but i know of it.
  • danpf1danpf1 Member Posts: 89
    I just changed all the fluids in my 2001 AWD 4x4 LE this week. I used synthetics instead of oil. Yes you will find a yellow sticker on the rear differential case stating to use LSD oil only, if you have one. The manual says to use automatic trans fluid in the transfer case if you have AWD and a automatic. I used royal purple automatic fluid in the transmission and royal purple synchromax fluid in the transfer case. I used royal purple 75w/90 Max gear oil in the front and rear differentials, this oil is formulated for LSD differentials. I used royal purple 5w/30 sync oil in the engine. I took about two hours to do everything. If you don't want to use synthetics, you can get your fluids from your local nissan dealer. I prefer the synthetics over oil. I have been using synthetics in my motor home for seven years now and they really make a difference in performance and cooling. You also gain the benefit of extended oil changes.
  • sjd16bsjd16b Member Posts: 1
    I'm all set to buy a 2004 Pathfinder SE (Popular Package and Sunroof) for $28,500. This is the FINAL cost and includes taxes, fees, etc.

Am I getting ripped off or not?

Would love some of your viewpoints.

Thanks
  • viking03viking03 Member Posts: 21
    I think that's a little high, unless you're including taxes and registration fees. I bought my black 2003 SE 4WD with popular package, microfilter, side moldings, floormats, for $25450 (this included $250 documentation fee and temporary registration). At the time there was a total of $2500 in rebates available. Don't know about that now.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the sunroof package was around $1000 extra....?
    Ok, I just noticed you included taxes/fee etc. Sounds like a decent price to me - probably better deal than I got assuming approx $2000 in sales tax. I'll go drink my much needed caffeine now.
    to me if sdj16b is discussing a 2WD or 4WD. That he didn't mention it tends to make me believe it's 2WD. Clearly, the price goes up if it's not.
  • pathalogicalpathalogical Member Posts: 34
    I've been using regular gas since day one, and I have averaged 20.12 MPG, or in our Canadian version, that's 14.20 L/100km. I don't think I'll try going 145 km/hr. You said you might try regular, has there been any change in your MPG ?
  • bob_2001pathlebob_2001pathle Member Posts: 5
    My Pathy has 45000 and is a 2001. So far I have not had any problems. But last week I disconnected the negative cable to change the Micro in cabin filter (per their instructions).
    I reconnected the negative cable and a few days later I tried to open the sunroof without any luck. Has anyone experienced this problem? Can it be a fuse? If so does anyone know which fuse box to open? Under the hood or in the vehicle?

Any response would be greatly appreciated...
  • zzr12zzr12 Member Posts: 18
    I just filled the tank with regular yesterday. I will keep you informed on the results. Everyone should give mid grade and regular a try and see if there is any difference in performance. That is unless you don't mind spending money on premium.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I've run 89 and 87 on occasion w/o problems. I've noticed on 87 that I can hear slight pinging on initial throttle (on hot days) until the knock sensor makes adjustments especially if I'm towing. When I tow my boat I try to use premium, I need all the extra ponies I can get. Since I don't drive the PF but 80-100 miles a week, I stopped calculating my mileage. I'll be interested if their is any differences with the fuel grades.
    My 2001 LE experienced the same kind of short. I replaced the microfilter per the Nissan instructions and after the job the CD Changer ERR2 on me. Luckily it was still under the 36K warranty and got the dealer to replace the whole radio unit. I followed the instructions and removed the negative cable. However, when I reinstalled the negative cable I noticed it sparked about three times. The sparks were from the neg. cable to neg. battery post contacts. Quite normal I thought but, now I think that contributed to the CD changer short.

I thought my electrical short was an isolated incident but apparently you experienced the same thing but with your sunroof instead. I hope your CD changer still works. You might want to check all of your fuses.

Next time I change the InCabin filters I will NOT disconnect the battery. I am hessitant to disconnect it even for electronic/electrical parts servcies....Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Actually that might be normal. Due to the increase in temps, I assume in your area it is getting hotter, the coolant now flows more freely than it did in winter time. When engine is cold, check the radiator cap for coolant level. Fill to rim if necessary. Check over a period of weeks and especially if it gets hotter outside. You are good to go if the cold level in the radiator is stable and full. The overflow tank is not a good indicator of high or low coolant levels. Just have the min. is fine.

If not, you might have an internal leak that can be detected by a compression test(head gasket, etc). Done any repair shop or dealer. Milky oil is an indicator of gasket leak. Sounds like you are still under warranty. Take it to the dealer to check out. Takes time but it covers your bases when they have service records of concerns/visits.

Good luck and let us know.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I changed my 02 QX4 in-cabin micro filter without disconnecting battery. I don't think it is necessary, as there is no electrical parts or wires in my way, not even nearby as I could still remember, when I performed the change.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    ...just make sure the sunroof isn't tilted open slightly. I've tried to open mine before & it wouldn't slide back, only to find it was tilted up slightly.
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    This could help a lot of folks...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It depends :-). Our member agreement asks you not to promote, link to or encourage others to visit auto sites that provide message boards, forums or chats.

A description here would be great too, since links have been known to die. Thanks!

Steve, Host
    Here is a link to the HTML instructions from a Nissan Dealer here in Dallas:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/instruct/inst_B7200-00003_01.html

It is the same as the printed instructions I got with the part.
    That's the link I mentioned this morning. It's one of the best.
  • bmtbmt Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2001 Pathfinder new. It's more than 3 years old now but still under 36k miles. Will my vehicle still under warranty??? Thanks in Advance!.
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    nope
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    bmt, it is out of warranty because the warranty was 3 years or 36K miles, WHICHEVER CAME FIRST.
    I'm not sure if Pathfinder's moonroof is the same as QX4. I tried my 02 QX4 and found no matter it's tilt open slightly or all the way, it can be slid open, but not the other way around: when slid open no matter how much, it can't be tilt open.
    I am deciding on how difficult it is for a non-mechanic to install a tow hitch (the easy part) and the wiring to the brake lights (the harder part it seems from previous posts). Anybody out there install a NON-Nissan tow hitch, eg Hidden hitch or Drawtite. I am looking at hidden hitch b/c more positive things have been said regarding compatiblity with frame/muffler. However, I am a little wary of messing with ANY electrical components other than screwing light bulbs, and want to make sure it is EASY for the average guy.

Please answer - how involved is installing the wiring? Any specifics on how to do it the right way?

Thank you for any help.
  • smitbradsmitbrad Member Posts: 8
    I installed a Hidden Hitch on my Pathfinder. It was very easy. All you need is a good socket wrench. The wiring did not take much effort either. The hardest part was removing the plastic liners in the back to get to the tail lights.
    2001 LE, 4x2 Auto trans.

Today I changed my rear LSD fluid. I got out 5 quartz but I was only able to get 3 back in before the fluid started spilling out from the fill plug. Is this right?
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    That's weird JIAMIN... either the PF & QX4 sunroofs are different, or it's a year thing, which might make more sense. Mine is a 2001 & yours is a 2002. But anyway, if mine is tilted up it can't be slid open & if it's slid open it can't be tilted up.
    Drbigz, are you sure you didn't take out 5 pints, rather than quarts? It only holds 4 7/8 pints. Just curious, what brand lube did you put in?
    I remember the container that I drained it out of. It only had liters and quarts measurements. It looked like it was about 5 quarts.

I bought it from the dealership. They gave me pennzoil gear lube that meets the recommended specs but I saw it this weekend at Wal Mart also for $3.17 a quart.
    drbigz, soemthing seems amiss. I can't think of a way there could have been 5 quarts of lube in there...anyone else have any ideas? I'm curious, exactly what Pennzoil product did the dealer give you? Does it have the LSD additive already mixed in? The reason I ask was that I found it a bit difficult to find the correct lube already pre-mixed with the additive. The first time I changed my lube I used Mobil 1 (synthetic, because I tow a heavy boat)and the limited slip stopped working. I later found out that even though the Mobil 1 bottle says "limited slip compatable", you still need to add the LSD additive. Apparently "limited slip compatable" merely means that the lube won't damage the limited slip unit. I'm now using a synthetic product by Red Line with good results, and it has the LSD additive already mixed in.