Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    jager32jager32 Member Posts: 15
    I agree on the 4WD , having the All Mode 4WD only on the LE is a turn off. However, to be fair you can only get the similar system on the V8 4Runners. The V6 4Runners have the part time system also.

The Dec Motortrend compares the PF with others in the field. Overall it did well, I was jazed with the 0-60 time, 7.3, much better than I expected. However, it couldn't quite keep up on the very tuff Off road hill that was part of the test. They tested an SE, so I bet if they had the LE with the All Mode 4WD it would have made it up the hill.

I was hoping the Dec Car and Driver would have a comparo but no luck, maybe in Jan.
  • Options
    xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    However, it couldn't quite keep up on the very tuff Off road hill that was part of the test. They tested an SE, so I bet if they had the LE with the All Mode 4WD it would have made it up the hill.

Actually, the all-mode probably wouldn't have helped. The best hill-climbing performance is realized in 4LO, which is functionally identical to the all-mode's 4LO (except for a difference in the gear ratio). My guess is that the poorer performance was due to highway-biased tires, insufficient clearance, or limited axle articulation (due to the independent suspension).
  • Options
    Actually there were a couple of strange things about the Motor Trend Test.

First, they tested an SE with the Off Road tires that come on the PF SE Off Road model. However I looked very closely at the Pics and there was no "Off Road" badge on the front door of the PF. Any official picture I've seen of an SE OR Model has the badge on both front doors.

Second They tested the Infiniti QX56 (Nissan Armada) which has the All Mode and Traction control and it made it up the hill. MT said the Traction control made the difference, but I'm not so sure because the PF has that 4 Wheel limited slip which is like traction control.

The fact is the new Jeep Grand Cherokee and the 4Runner with its Torsen setup and locking differentials are better off roaders, but I think the PF is a better package overall and cheaper to boot.
  • Options
    origamiorigami Member Posts: 8
    I test drove the PF LE 4X2 today. They only had that one to test drive. They also had an SE that just arrived 2 hours before I got there.

The ride was very nice and stable, although I didn't get to drive it on the highway. It was more stable than the 4Runner I test drove a while ago. Maybe because PF has an independent rear suspension.

The A/C worked very well (dual automatic), although the controls were digital and hard to see the air flow arrows on the LCD.

Plenty of power, on tap. I punched it and that thing took off. The transmission was very smooth and you could hardly feel it was changing gears.

The third row seat was very cramped for my size (6'). In my opinion, only small children can use it (less than 7 years of age).

One thing that caught my attention was a constant squeaking noise from the left rear door behind me. I couldn't figure out where it came from.

Over all, I really liked the truck. I think I would buy it over the 4Runner. Too bad I'm not in the market to buy a new vehicle. They also had 7 or 8 new '04 models they hadn't sold. This is in Sunnyvale, CA, Flore Nissan on El Camino.
  • Options
    2fastdre2fastdre Member Posts: 59
    There are crazy cars at SEMA show, here is one of them:
    http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia/events/800px/04_sema009.jpg

Yikes!

2FastDre.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    However, to be fair you can only get the similar system on the V8 4Runners. The V6 4Runners have the part time system also.

Not true. On V6 4-Runners there is a full-time 4WD mode. It's not "permenent" full-time 4WD as per the V8, but "selectable" full-time 4WD, meaning the driver has to select that mode. There is also a part-time 4WD mode too.

Bob
  • Options
    vik66vik66 Member Posts: 10
    so, who can tell which one perform better off road: 4Runner or PF05 ? did anybody take it off-road, SE Off Road , how it is?
    I am thinking to buy a new vehicle next year, I like 4Runner, but PF really impressed me as well.
    Thank you
    Viktor
  • Options
    vik66vik66 Member Posts: 10
    but 05 Xterra going to be much better... i think...
  • Options
    "Not true. On V6 4-Runners there is a full-time 4WD mode."

Yeh, what I meant was the All Mode 4WD system on the PF LE is similar to the 4Wd system in the V8 4Runners. It varies torque to each axle as conditions dictate. The regular 4WD system in the PF-XE,SE and V6 4Runners can be set to full time but the torque is set (40/60 for 4Runner) for each axle and doesn't vary if wheel slippage occurs.
  • Options
    pghpa2pghpa2 Member Posts: 4
    Bought the SE with Conv Package, floormats, spashgaurds,molding,air filter - MSRP $30,200 - invoice $27,683 - traded in my '02 CRV EX with only 17,000 miles - paid $12,000 difference - works out to be invoice for the new PF and Kelly Blue Book Trade in of $15,800 for the CRV - Dealer tried to add $695 "Dealer Maint" - I refused to even consider that - financed through local bank at 3.9% for 60 months - love the car, especially the power, Granite color was best in my opinion - rides & handles nice -
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    The Armada had and still has a lot of quality problems, some big, some small. A ton of rattles, consoles falling off the ceiling, brakes and steering screwed up, etc. The PF is built off a modified version of the same platform, but what have you guys thought of the quality--particularly those who already bought one? Cheap, junky parts? Rattling/creaking body or interior?

Or, tight, smooth, solid and really nice?
  • Options
    dweiserdweiser Member Posts: 288
    Am I correct in thinking the PF and Armada are built in different states and the PF "factory" hasn't had the quality problems the Armada factory has?
  • Options
    The regular 4WD system in the PF-XE,SE and V6 4Runners can be set to full time but the torque is set (40/60 for 4Runner) for each axle and doesn't vary if wheel slippage occurs.

Are you sure about that? My understanding is the V6 4-Runner (and V8 Sequoia) can be set to either full-time or part-time 4WD, whereas the Pathfinder SE & SE Off Road can only be set to part-time 4WD.

The Pathfinder LE has an on-demand (All-Mode) 4WD, which is much like the Explorer's Control Trac, which is RWD until the front tires start slipping, in which they then engage. The V8 4-Runner (and Land Cruiser) have permenent 4WD, in that there is no 2WD mode whatsoever.

Bob
  • Options
    Yes, The 4WD PF XE, SE & SE Off Road can be set to Full time 4WD. They have 3 settings 2WD, 4HI & 4LO. That is basically the same as the V6 4Runners. However , 4HI doesn't vary torque to the axles like the All Mode does on the LE. The LE has 4 settings 2WD, 4HI, 4LO, & Auto. I'm not sure if the Permanent system on the V8 4Runners varies torque like the All Mode or not. But the 4Runner does have a Torsen Limited-Slip Center Differential on all Models that can send as much as 71% of Torque to the rear or 53% to the front. That's one feature that the PF Doesn't have.

Basically the All mode 4WD should be better in slippery conditions like Rain, Ice and snow because it can send more grip to the wheels that are slipping. However, I'd like to see a test in a magazine or something to validate that premise. I also can find the real meat of how the All Mode works, Nissan just has a short overview of the system nothing really specific.
  • Options
    davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    Bob, I believe you are right. But I think you meant to say that it's RWD until the REAR tires start slipping.
  • Options
    atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Not to muddy the waters, but a system with 2wd, 4 Hi and 4 Lo is still a part time system. If the center differential is locked (does not vary the power) it should not be driven on dry pavement. You need an AWD or Auto mode to drive on pavement.
  • Options
    I stand corrected. The 4Hi in the PF XE, SE & SE Off Road is not for Dry Pavement and is therefore Part Time. I didn't realize the Torsen Center Dif on the 4Runners makes their "Part Time" system essentially a "Full Time" System. I found a blurb on it.

"Toyota’s Multi-Mode 4WD system is standard on all four-wheel drive models. The Multi-Mode 4WD feature is actually an open center differential with locking capability that provides a full-time 4WD system with the ability to select 2WD mode. The all-wheel multi-mode 4WD system may be used in normal driving conditions on all types of roads from dry, hard surface roads, such as pavement, to wet or snow-covered roads. Driving with the Multi-Mode's 4WDl drive system engaged provides the driver with a more sure-footed feel because power is applied evenly to all four wheels which improves traction."

I also found 2 very informative posts #7371 and #7373 that address the PF 4WD in more detail. Below is a quote from that discussion.

"As other members have commented, part-time systems lock the front and rear axles together, and are therefore not recommended for use except off the pavement (even when it's just wet from rain). Only full-time 4WD (or "All-Wheel-Drive") systems can be operated on any type of terrain without any problems. Shift-on-the-fly part-time systems are used on all Pathfinders except 2001+ LE models and all Infiniti QX4's"

I also found a link on Auto world that gives a good explanation of the All Mode 4WD
    http://www.autoworld.com/news/Infiniti/QX4_All-Wheel.htm
  • Options
    mpapimpapi Member Posts: 3
    I'm currently in the market for a new suv. I'm torn between the 05 4runner and the 05 pathfinder. I've test driven both and am leaning more towards the pathfinder because it has more options for the money and seems to handle nicer. (More pickup, smooth ride, etc.) The only thing I am worried about is the reliability since it is a redesigned model and production was moved from Japan to the US. Anyone have any experience with both toyota and nissan or may have purchased one over the other for whatever reason?

Thanks
  • Options
    davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    Can I ask you to be more specific on the 4Runner vs. PF? You say more pickup. Are you comparing V6 versions or did you drive the V8 4Runner?
  • Options
    mpapimpapi Member Posts: 3
    Both were 6cyl. SR5 4runner vs. SE Pathfinder. I know the pathy has more hp and I believe more torque. Just wondering about overall build quality since everyone I've talked to says toyota is the best. I don't think nissan is far behind but want some opinions first before making a purchase.

Thanks
  • Options
    jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    My limited experience tells me that overall Toyota is better than Nissan especially in terms of attention in details, quietness. Lexus is better than Infiniti in terms of the same. Reliability wise they are about the same. I had two new Nissans, one new Infiniti, one new Lexus and they never had any fsilure whatsoever...
  • Options
    prospective2prospective2 Member Posts: 25
    I find this amazing -- Nissan has come out with a brand new fully redesigned mid-size SUV that cannot vary torque between the front and rear wheels when set in 4WD mode unless you buy the leather trim?! What were they thinking? Variable torque is a pretty basic SUV feature nowadays (let alone having the option of leaving it in 4WD in dry pavement conditions). Guess I won't be getting the Pathfinder.

That's crzy

be set in an has to be manually shifted in cannot be set in an does not have an all the time , when set can only be shi
  • Options
    stove1stove1 Member Posts: 53
    I just don't see what difference it makes in what little off road any of us do. You put too much torque on one wheel it actualy might damage something.
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Keep in mind 4wd isn't just for off roading. There is a reason the 911 Turbo is AWD & it's not to go off-road. 4wd makes a tremendous difference in day-to-day driving, even on dry roads. Also, I don't think you would have to worry about damaging something by putting too much torque on one wheel just because you have a variable torque set-up.
  • Options
    prospective2prospective2 Member Posts: 25
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but I thought when you have an AWD or 4WD vehicle that has a center differential that allows for the torque to be varied between the front and the rear, and the vehicle detects wheel slippage and moves power to the non-slipping wheels. So, for example, when you start from a stop sign in the rain and the front wheels start to spin, the system shifts power to the rear wheels and you have improved traction. Some such systems also ordinarily also operate in 2WD except when the need for 4WD/AWD is detected. This is a significant advantage of modern 4WD/AWD systems when driving in the rain or snow (or in relatively dry winter conditions with the occasional ice patch) that is entirely unrelated to getting stuck in the mud while off roading and flipping on the 4WD to get unstuck. I'm surprised that Nissan would come out with a brand new SUV in 2004 that is being marketed to families (3rd row seat) but has a primitive 4WD system. I guess its just a way of making people buy the high profit top trim line, but I personally don't like leather seats.
  • Options
    pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    There are many designs for this, some I don't understand at this time. If a centre diff. is used it will impart a fixed torque percentage front/rear (set by the mechanism in the diff. centre). The multiclutch plate used in the previous model Pathfinder (my 2001 LE for example), will impart a variable torque to the front wheels. The effect here is a bit different than a centre diff. though - because once fully engaged it in effect locks the front and rear together, whereas a centre diff. keeps the front/rear "decoupled" - when one end is in the air it spins freely with reduced torque available and the other still gets only a percentage of the torque. The clutch system would lock them together so they would both spin at the same rate but if the rear is in the air the front will get full torque (less that required to spin the rear). This will be made more complex with limited slip rear and front diffs.

There are advantages and disadvanges to both systems. The clutch system will wear out faster (though it appears this doesn't happen during the expected life of the vehicle). Compared to a torsen centre diff. - if a clutch plate centre diff. is used it will probably wear about the same as a centre multiplate clutch. The system in the previous models is essentially a multiplate clutch similar to what you find in a motorcycle or automatic transmission, hydraulicly actuated. A clutch centre diff. uses a clutch pack to transfer torque between the two output shafts. A torsen diff. uses mechanical pressure to transfer the torque.

Both AWD systems drop your fuel economy. My vehicle looses about 10% when in "auto" mode (clutch system active). It's nice to be able to turn it off - something you can't do with a centre diff. unless they provide a "centre diff. lock" function or allow you to shift out of AWD. The vehicles I've seen with centre diff. lock only use it for extreme traction, whereas on my Pathfinder I turn off the centre clutch system for non-traction limited situations (driving on dry pavement for example). This is a plus for the clutch system.
  • Options
    calucykcalucyk Member Posts: 35
    I agree with jiamin; if build quality is a major concern, go with Toyota. I own a Maxima and I can say Nissan has their share of problems. Furthermore, Nissan customer service is terrible (probably not that important during procurement, but it will be when you have a problem). I have two friends that have Nissan products and they each have had problems also. A close friend of mine has a 4Runner which has been to the shop for regular maintenance and that's it.
  • Options
    Over the years I've owned virtually all types of 4WD/AWD: 3 part-time units ('84 Trooper, '87 F-150 & '91 Explorer); 1 on-demand full-time unit ('98 Explorer with Control Trac—which is similar in operation to the '05 Pathfinder LE's All-Mode unit); and 2 full-time AWD Subarus.

My preference is for the Subaru's "proactive" (always driving all wheels, all the time) AWD, to that of the "reactive" on-demand system on my '98 Explorer and Pathfinder LE. I just wished Subaru offered the dual-range transfer case found in other markets, here.

Speaking of Subarus: They are about to launch the B9X, which will be the largest vehicle they have yet offered. It will have seating for 5-7 passengers, and designed to go against the MDX and BMW X5. Being a Subaru it will have full-time AWD with stability control on all models. As to whether it will offer a dual-range tranny—don't know yet. Here's a preliminary teaser link:

http://www.subdriven.com/news/publish/Subaru_News/article_280.sht- - - - ml

The car will be introduced at the Detroit car show, and will be on sale next summer. It will also be the first Subaru to introduce their new corporate "face" to the American public.

Bob
  • Options
    sivisivi Member Posts: 20
    there iis a fuse on trailer cable . it is not mentioned in manuel
  • Options
    lsf9635lsf9635 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a granite SE with cloth interior, comfort package, sunroof and dvd system. I also had a remote start installed from the dealer. Remote start is a wonderful feature for the winter but motor really races when first activated.

Does anyone else have problems with the seating controls on the drivers side. Do you find they get in the way when getting in and out of the vehicle? I am tall and my legs always hit the controls on driver side of the seat and I have to continue to adjust the seat when I get in and out. Placement of controls should have been lower.

Also, in the comfort package description it read 'Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors'. Are your mirrors illuminated and if so could you describe? It's not a big deal but sometimes it's the little things that count.

I love the vehicle, I am a previous PF owner,and a nissan lover but it seems the older models had a little more thought to them. For instance The front passenger seat does not have a storage pocket on the back? The driver side does, but not the passenger? Why is that?

The back window doesn't release from the inside anymore like the older models did and the lift gate doesn't release automatically from the outside. Not sure if the auto release feature was ever a part of Nissan but it would have been a nice feature. Most SUV's have it now.

Also, did anyone get the dvd package? The dvd is in an awkward spot, it's between the driver and front passenger seat. When you open the console the lid flips up and the passengers in the back can't load a dvd. (unless they have extremely long arms that can reach over the lid and down into the dvd compartment) they can only control the dvd player with the remote. If no one is in the passenger seat that means the driver has to unload and reload the dvd player when ever it needs to be changed. Bad placement. If the dvd player is located between the driver and passenger seat at least place it in a position that is accessible to the back seat, or maybe if the lid flipped toward the front of the car instead of the back the passengers in the back could reach it easier. I can't tell you about the quality of the picture because mine has not worked from the time I picked it up, and I've had the car for a month. Still waiting for parts that are "on back order".

I think Nissan should have given more thought to the little things.

One the positive side, it's a Nissan. I love nissan products. Purchased several used Nissans for my kids as first cars and they are great cars.

As a previous Pathfinder owner I waited for the New 05 models to be released before purchasing a new suv. The 05 PF has excellent acceleration, is comfortable to drive and handles well.
  • Options
    robertbarkerrobertbarker Member Posts: 5
    My 01 Pathfinder LE CD changer displays ERR2. The first time, it was under warranty and the dealer replaced it with a refirbushed changer.
    I'm looking at my options. I found a place online that will repair it (get the stuck CD's out) for $200
    http://www.johnson-electronic.com/pages/1/index.htm Do you know of anywhere cheaper??
    The dealer referred me to a local radio place that does their stereo work but they said they would send it off and it costs $400. I noticed a few on ebay but am suspicious that they are fakes and may not last too long. My friends tell me just to replace it with an after-market stereo, but I'm pretty sure I would loose all the steering wheel controls (volume, change station, etc) any suggestions other than putting in a pocket and doing without.
  • Options
    viking03viking03 Member Posts: 21
    Hello,

I am returning to the dealer to have my Bose (Clarion?) 6 disc in-dash CD/cassette changer repaired - it skips and won't play CDs in the morning when cold, or after sitting at night for several hours. After about 20 to 30 minutes it works fine (unsure why this happens - any clues?). I am concerned that the dealer will want to switch out the new stereo (my PF is still under 30 k miles and under warranty) and replace it with a "refurbished" unit. I have read stories on people continuing to get replacement stereos that don't work.

Do I have any recourse in demanding a new stereo as a replacement, vs a refurbished? I don't want someone else's 3 yr old stereo (that may or may not work), if I can keep my 1 yr old cruddy stereo just as well and have it repaired by a good shop. I also am concerned about the lack of TLC of the dealer mechanic while they disassemble my dash - don't want rattles in addition to this dissatisfaction. Has anyone tried a CD cleaner disc in their car stereo (with the tiny brushes?) I imagine these might not work due to the tight confines in the magazine. I don't want to make a bad problem worse.

Has anybody had any experiences with these refurbished units? Am I right to be a little uptight about this? I just wonder what "refurbishing" actually entails and if will be in "like-new" condition or if they just clean off the CD lens and call it good.

Does anyone know the model # of the Clarion (Bose) 6 disc in-dash CD/cassette?

Thanks for any help with these questions.
  • Options
    pathalogicalpathalogical Member Posts: 34
    Just curious, do most of these errors occur because people leave CD's in the changer all the time...day and night, never taking them out ? I always take my CD's out when I'm done driving around (usually just one disc). Heck, I might even go back to old school style and put my favourite tunes on a cassette. It might not sound as good, but did anyone ever get a "cassette error" message ?

Viking03; I don't think you should try those brush cd cleaners, that's a very tight opening, you might be asking for trouble if you try, which would give the dealer something to blame you for along with an even higher price to repair. Refurbished might mean the same as remanufactured, like alternators, starters and water pumps. Reliable replacement parts but lower prices for us vehicle owners to pay.
  • Options
    viking03viking03 Member Posts: 21
    No, I usually cycle the CDs on a weekly basis. They are all brand new commercial or high quality CD-R discs (ie no scratches or dust). It doesn't matter what type is playing - they all skip the same. This is not normal, as I've never had a similar problem with any other player, nor does anyone else I personally know. Just a bum player I think.

I agree - I would love to get away from CDs. Rather than tape I think MP3, Itunes AAC, etc is what format would be best. Better than CD convenience with none of the downfalls, and better sound quality than tape. I wish I could easily replace this changer with something along those lines. I wonder if the new 05's have MP3 capability.
  • Options
    foureyes3foureyes3 Member Posts: 165
    yes the 05 does have an mp3. I think it holds like 4.2 gigabytes. I think it will get to the point where we won't even have cd players in vehicles just mp3 players. The public in general still don't know how to use mp3 players.
  • Options
    fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    Anyone out there towing with an '05 Pathfinder? Wondering how it performs; I'm looking to replace a 2000 Expedition this Spring. I tow an 18' boat, 3200# loaded, well within the '05's capacity power-wise but curious about how the suspension handles towing. Also, any input on gas mileage for the '05 would be great.
  • Options
    foureyes3foureyes3 Member Posts: 165
    The gas mileage is 16mpg in the city and 23mpg on the highway. I think that is pretty decent for the engine size. You could probably put a higher grade air filter in the pathfinder and get better gas mileage.
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    fitguy,

I can't really comment on the '05 since I haven't towed with or driven one (but i will anyway). I tow my 21' boat which weighs around 4500lbs with my 01 PF LE and it tows fine. The rear suspension is a bit on the weak side considering my boat has over 350lbs of tonque weight. It's not a problem for day trips, but when we go for extended weekends with 2 small kids + gear, the rear suspension sags significantly with the weight. I've towed our current boat with the PF to florida from ohio, Ohio to Kansas City, and Kansas City to Wichita, KS where we live now (not including our normal boating trips), w/o any probems . Here in Kansas 95 to 100 degree days are about the norm and the temp gauge has never budged and the trans is holding up fine. I figure last year I towed over 10,000 miles. Towing MPG is around 12-13mpg

When I purchased my '01 we had an 18' boat that weighed about what your boat weighs and I had absolutely no problems what so ever. It's amazing what an extra 1200lbs and 150lbs of tonque weight makes.

With your boat the new Pathfinder with its extra 1000lbs of tow capacity, longer wheel base, and more hp/torque shouldn't break a sweat. Your tongue weight is probably anywhere from 160-250lbs, which shouldn't be a problem.

I will be replacing my 01 this spring, but I haven't decided on what. I am 95% sure I'll go full size. I've test drove the Armada, but I'm not impressed with the build quality, my current PF felt much tighter, loved the powertrain, but I don't think I'll buy one. I'll probably just go with a used Suburban, since they are a dime a dozen around here. I can't believe I'm considering a Chevy, but we'll see.
  • Options
    nikiblue1nikiblue1 Member Posts: 44
    I have a 2001 nissan pathfinder 48K miles. About a year ago had an accident where they had to replace basically the whole left driver side suspension.

I'm now having problem with squeaking while turning on low speed with 4wd engaged.

I took it to two mechanics:

First one wanted to replace just the strut mount and second wanted to replace the cv axle, lower ball joint, and front wheel bearing.

I don't quite understand the mechanical portion of this problem. The nissan dealer stated (if I understood it correctly) that the pathfinder does not have a ball joint--has a strut instead.

Any suggestions/comments/solutions? any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Options
    idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Hi guys, I'm looking at a couple of pathfinders. The first one is a '99.5 LE, with 79k miles on it. It's fully loaded with leather, heated seats, bose sound, moonroof, etc. The price the dealer has on it is $14,950. The second is an '02 SE 5 speed, not as loaded up but still quite nice, 35k miles, for $17,900.

My questions are, do these sound like good prices? What are known problems to look for when trying one out? What major services have to be done to them? I have a '99 Explorer that I can't wait to get rid of, and it needed a transmission fluid change at 30k, ect. I have heard about the timing belt having to be changed, a water pump having to be put on, stuff like that.

I have a friend who has an '88 Pathfinder with, as he calls it, "over a quarter million miles," or in laymens terms about 260k. He also has a '96 Pathfinder with about 105k on it. He swears by Nissan and will not own anything other than a Nissan or Toyota, and possibly a Honda.

I'm also looking at 4Runners as well. They're a little more expensive, and most of the ones I've seen have higher mileage than the Pathfinders. I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions. Thanks!

idntnvu
  • Options
    scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    I have a 1999.5 LE loaded up just as you describe that I bought in September, 2002. It had 68,000 miles on it, and I paid $15,300. I now have close to 93,000 miles, and other than wear items (tires and brakes) and regular maintenance, it has been flawless. With proper upkeep, it should easily make it to 250,000 miles. They're pretty darn bulletproof.

Make sure the major services were done at 30k and 60k. It shouldn't need a timing belt and water pump until 105k.

I'd like to have the 240HP 3.5L V-6 in mine, but there is no way that I'd want the manual tranny. If I was buying today, I'd be looking for a 2001 or newer LE. When I was shopping, I also looked for 4-Runner's, but they were significantly more money for similar years and miles.

You should copy that post over in the Real World Trade-In Values board, with as much information as possible. When Terry wakes up from his New Year's Eve festivities, he will give you a good indication of what you should be paying.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. As far as I know, the 30 and 60k mile services were done on the '99.5. Since the '02 has 35k on it, and it was Certified, I'd say the 30k mile service was done. What has to be done to it at 60k?
  • Options
    coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    If I was in the market to get an SUV in that price range, the only one on my list would be the 2001-2002 SE 4X4 5 Speed. I have heard from many sources it performs great and handles well unlike other SUVs in the class. The auto tranny one is good too but I am a sucker for performance and the manual tranny can't be beat.

However, the price on both seem a little high. Have you checked the blue book value ?
  • Options
    I had a 5 speed before the automatic explorer, which I liked, but, I also like being able to talk on the phone and not have to reach down and change gears, haha. However, I love a 5 speed too. I checked the value on the '99.5 on both KBB and Edmunds, but KBB is always high. The price they're asking is right on with Edmunds, but significantly less than KBB. If I could find someone with a black book, they could look up what the black book value is on it. I looked up the '02, but I'm not exactly sure what all it has on it yet. I called the saleman today and told him to transfer it over to his lot so I could look at it tomorrow. I'll let ya know what I find.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Real-World Trade-In Values

What is the "Kelley Blue Book" Price?

This discussion focuses mostly on new prices but it may be worth browsing:

Nissan Pathfinder: Prices Paid & Buying Experience

Steve, Host
  • Options
    pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    The newer models have a metal timing belt that doesn't need to be changed. 2001 and up. My 2001 LE is automatic. I wanted the manual trans. but I also wanted leather, so I had to go auto. If I was doing it again, I think I'd get the manual with the cloth seats. They are more durable. I just had to have one vehicle with leather to see what it was like. I also liked the "running boards" the LE has over the "door sill protector tubes" the SE and XE have. They protect the side body better than the tubes (from stuff thrown up by the tires).

As for service items, there aren't any major things to do. Eventually the valve lash will have to be done, but I suspect the engine will be worn out by then. Make sure you change the diff. and trans. fluid when you choose one. The older engine has a cast iron block (aluminum heads), the newer engine (3.5 L)is all aluminum. It's why I bought the vehicle. A wonderful engine that has won many design awards.
  • Options
    ackertackert Member Posts: 1
    I replaced my 2000 Expedition with a 2005 Pathfinder LE a few months ago. I tow a 16 foot trailer loaded with two large ATVs and some firewood, fuel, coolers, etc.. The Pathfinder has plenty of power to pull, and handles fine overall. My trailer has 4 wheels and trailer brakes and without them, I wouldn't feel too confident stopping with a large load...the Pathfinder is much smaller than I'm used to, and I'm having trouble adusting to the smaller size overall (including the interior space)...you feel the trailer much more, and while the ride is nicer than the truck-like Expedition, I don't have the same confidence level driving it, with or without the trailer.....I've had to slow down a lot in order to feel safe.

Couple of other complaints if I could nit pick for a second... The high beams leave a lot to be desired.... And the navigation system should be operable by the passenger while you are moving..having to pull off the road and put it in park is a terrible PIA. Also needs more cupholders and a seat pocket on the driver's side seatback.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    that the traditional timing chain is now known as a "metal timing belt," and thought of as some kind of innovation.

Times change. Is it progress?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I can only speak for my 2001 PF but I believe all after this are the same. It has a timing CHAIN that does have to be replaced. I don't have the manual with me but I believe it is replaced at around 100,000 miles, as opposed to 60,000 when most timing BELTS are supposed to be changed.
  • Options
    mahadave27mahadave27 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 SE that also (recently) developed the ERR2 problem with the CD changer. It just skips continually till the changer shuts down. The radio works fine. I have overall been pleased with this SUV. I have gotten 16-17 MPH consistently, and it has aged probably better than any other vehicle I have owned. It looks about the same as when I bought it. The cloth interior has held up well also. No squeaks or rattles. But I wonder if there are enough of us to raise a stink regarding the commonality of this problem and getting some redress. I bought the "Gold" level extended warranty and this item is not covered according to the dealer. I was also quoted a $400 repair cost, but I am happy I saw your post re the alternative source and a much lower repair cost. Thanks.