Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• mrluckyabmrluckyab Member Posts: 1
    I have always heard a delay in shifting to reverse is the first sign of a transmission problem. I would insist the dealer give the attention it deserves.
  • andy1961andy1961 Member Posts: 32
    Should I replace plugs at 60,000 miles?

Is it a reasonable DIY project?
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    Wanted to post observations after test-driving a 2005 Pathfinder SE; I am shopping for a replacement for a 2000 Expedition. I have some stiff requirements- good tow rating, 3rd row seat that folds flat, comfortable drivers seat for long hauls. I really wanted to like this vehicle as it's priced right and has great features. Here's what I found:
    - Power from the V6, excellent, but somewhat noisy under hard acceleration. Not as nice as a V8.
    - Build quality: OK, but had 1 rattle and the backing on the second row seat was installed very sloppy. The cloth seats are very bland-looking.
    - Handling: very good & tight, nice on the highway. Ride: OK but gets very unsettled over rough pavement.
    - Seating: This is what killed this vehicle for me- the drivers seat was only fair in terms of support, shape, and comfort, and the lumbar adjustment was lousy. The second row seat is way too tight for a mid-size SUV, no doubt as a result of trying to squeeze in a third row seat. The third row seat is useless except for small (and I mean small- my 10 year old daughter barely fits back there) children.
    Nissan had some great ideas on this new design, but should have stretched it a bit more to make it a "tweener" like the Durango. Yes, you can upgrade to the Armada for another 10K, but thats out of budget for a lot of buyers. We are now resolved to either another Expy or a Durango, both with questionable reliability. (the Explorer/Mountaineer have an absurd fold-down seat system that leaves a huge gap in the middle and does not fold flat). Sorry for the long post but I get passionate when I shop new vehicles and like to share info! :shades:
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    I seconds your opinion of the Explorer's seat folding craziness...but isn't that all fixed in a few months once the 2006's are out? Then these are supposed to be pretty trick setups for the second and third rows as far as folding is concerned.
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    carguy- thanks for jogging my memory on the Explorer seating; I'm going to look into it. I actually prefer the size of the Explorer, my wife especially does. Plenty capable for towing with the V8, too.
  • ece441ece441 Member Posts: 2
    I have a similar problem with my 2005 LE. I have a intermittent ratle noise coming from the dashboard. Dealer can't find it. Where is the A-pillar? Does stuffing Kleenex work?
  • 01le01le Member Posts: 18
    The problem is that the driver seat doesn't always slide back and forth upon my entry/exiting, like it's supposed to. I always leave the auto feature on, but at least a couple times a week the seat will not automatically slide or it slides about a half inch then stops. My Pathy is long out of warranty so I am wondering if any one else has had this problem, and what was the fix.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Mine did it from new. Solution is to leave it off. It's just another junk "feature" you don't need!
  • lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    That is a common problem with Pathies Auto Seat Position systems that are left on constantly. The seat sliding motors are starting to wear out and you may need to replace them.
  • 01le01le Member Posts: 18
    Thank you for your feed back on the power seat issue I am having.
    Have any of you been running regular unleaded gasoline in your VQ35 engines? I have and I do just fine when most of my driving is around town/city. However I can personally feel a difference in performance (accelerating/passing/hills) when I am driving on the open roads and highways. So when I know I am going on a road trip I use only premium unleaded fuel so I can enjoy the full power of the VQ. My mechanic said that running regular unleaded is ok due to the high tech knock sensors the VQ has.
  • tranny2tranny2 Member Posts: 1
    my 93 pathfinder has aproblem with the transmission slipping and yes it has been flushed any ideas?
  • lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    I agree with you all around. 87 Octane will not hurt the VQ35 engine. However, I actually use 89 octane regularly. But on long trips or towing, I use 93 Octane.
  • interceptor07interceptor07 Member Posts: 19
    I was looking at an 05 SE Off-Road that has the SE Premium package. My question is: Does the Bose stereo come XM ready? If so, is this something that can be done/activated by the dealer, if you want the XM? I know that Nissan offers either XM or Sirius as options, but the Nissan web site says that it will be available late in the year. I would like the XM option, but I don't want an aftermarket add on. I prefer the option integrated into the factory unit.
    Thanks in advance for any info.
  • mavis68mavis68 Member Posts: 3
    I broke the driver's side door handle off my '00 PF (don't ask -- long story that doesn't reflect well on me). I researched the part which was available to order thru dealers for $100 or via an internet salvage operation for $35. I selected the more reasonable option. I just received the handle and it appears (now that I see what's on the other side of the door) I have to take apart the entire door to replace the piece. Is there anyone who might have experience with this who could offer an easier/alternate solution? Thanks in advance - Jill
  • mavis68mavis68 Member Posts: 3
    I bought the cargo Area Protector item # 999M1-XN004 from www.nissan-auto-parts-dealer.com (look under accessories) for $83.20 + $10 shipping in 2002. IT covers the sides over the wheel wells as well as the entire back of the passenger seats. I have 3 mid-large dogs who travel in the rear cargo area on the liner and, for the most part, it's held up really well. The only problem I've had is that it's designed so Velcro tabs hold the sides of the liner up to the cargo rings below the windows. One of my dogs has a habit of leaning against this and then laying down. So, one of the tabs has torn. Also, very easy to clean. Ultimately, I would highly recommend it. Great value for the cost.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey, I just saw this on the nissannews web site. Thought you might be interested if you have a 2005...

Nissan Implements Product Improvement for 2005 Nissan Pathfinder [June 10, 05]

GARDENA, Calif. (June 10, 2005) – During recent NCAP dynamic maneuvering tests by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder experienced a “tip-up” under certain test conditions. As this result was unexpected, Nissan proactively approached NHTSA to better understand the Pathfinder’s performance in this test. Nissan determined the root cause and implemented a product improvement by reprogramming the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) system installed on all Pathfinder models at the factory. Subsequent tests by NHTSA confirmed there was no “tip-up” after the VDC was updated. In addition, to avoid any concerns by current Pathfinder owners and to promote customer satisfaction, Nissan dealers will reprogram the VDC on their vehicle free of charge. Nissan will begin sending letters notifying 2005 Pathfinder owners of this offer at the end of June 2005.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Whether they do it out of fear or civic responsibility, it would be nice if all car companies were proactive like this...kinda makes you want a Pathfinder...
  • mike5867mike5867 Member Posts: 1
    I just spent over $500. at a dealership to have my alarm system repaired, and today i have the same problem only worse. The truck will not start, before i had it repaired, when this happened I would lock it, let it sit a few minutes unlock it and she would start, some times having to do this several times. Now it will not start at all, i've let it sit over night, I disconnected the battery still no good. The dealer told me they can not remove the alarm system (that is what i requested when i brought it in last week) because the main computer will detect this and shut the truck down, does this sound right, there has to be something they can do. :mad:
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    On my 2001 PF the low pressure AC refrigerant hose that runs from the compressor to the cooling unit is leaking where it attaches to the metal piping. Does anyone know what type of clamp (for lack of a better term) this uses? I can't figure out how to tighten it or what to replace. Thanks...
  • maiyamaiya Member Posts: 5
    Hi all ,
    I am pretty new to this forum. I am planning to buy 01 pathfinder, which is having 90K miles on it. Interior looks pretty clean and leather seats. Its an SE model. So my question is, is it a good deal to buy 01 pathfinder with 90K miles on it ? If yes what is the price range I can bargain for. [I checked in Edmunds.com TMV, its about $9K]. Its a private party. what all the problems I may hit down the line ?, I brought a 96 Accord in 2001 with 90K miles on it, it still runs like a champ, I almost put 150K miles on it.
    Can I expect the same thing from Nissan pathfinder ?

Thanks in advance
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You may want to check prices in Real-World Trade-In Values too.

Steve, Host
  • trunk1trunk1 Member Posts: 1
    My instrument panel/running lights have quit working. These are the lights that light up the dash such as the speedometer, radio, A/C, power window buttons. Everything "works", it's just that the illumination lights do not. They all quit working at once. I've checked the fuses & they seem to be fine. What else could it be?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    I don't mean this to sound insulting (I've done this myself), but you might want to verify that the brightness control on the instrument lighting isn't turned all the way down.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • weather1manweather1man Member Posts: 1
    :( In my good consience know one buy or keep a pathfinder before 1996 because in an onfounate event in a rollover the roof is likely to crush in and kill you. I read this in another forum.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    How much the roof crushes in sorta depends on the severity of the rollover, wouldn't you think? I don't think it's wise to make sweeping generalizations based on reading one rollover report. Got any pics of that particular rollover?
  • jrimmerjrimmer Member Posts: 2
    Just a minor correction. What is wearing is actually a potentiometer. The motor should continue on. On several japanese vehicles Aisin supplies the seat mechanisms and it's a common problem, not just pathfinders.
  • airman72airman72 Member Posts: 19
    A local dealership sell the in-cabin microfilter for $42, not so bad considering the shipping cost if I would order through some online store. But I was wondering if I need two for the installation or the box comes with 2. The installtion instruction posted on courtesyparts.com shows there are two filters side by side on PF. Thanks.
    Yes, two. They split the thing into two filters, because if it was one large one you wouldn't be able to get it in. The dealer should be selling a package with two filters in it. At least that's what I bought the last time.
  • pathfindermikepathfindermike Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone send part of their service manual that tells how to change the coolant in a 2001 Pathfinder. I am having problems finding the two engine drain plugs and I am about to go on a trip. Thanks much for any help.
  • motorbuffmotorbuff Member Posts: 4
    Have a 2001 Pathy LE with 50K Absolutely not one return to dealer for warranty service.. Great car. Will buy again in spite of fuel costs today. My wife wanted a Forester..excellent vehicle, but the Pathy is just an awesome car...creature comforts, strength, and incredible reliability. The 3.5 motor is an engineering acheivement IMHO and Ward's World agrees. With 90K, the car has had road miles...commuter stuff. Just assure its gotten its oil changes. If the owner used the newer synthetics...its still new. The Nissan Pathfinder Off Road Association considers these engines to be "fully broken in" at about 120,000 miles. With 50K, I have only topped off and never added a quart...I change oil and filter once a year using the newer oils. We also have a 1992 Pathy (156000mi) a 1996 Pathy (92000mi) and of course the 2001 at just approaching 50K. These have been trouble free cars...less trouble than out 1990 Civic and 1990 Accord...comaparable to our 1986 Toyota Camry (yeah..we really got one and its a daily driver).

Nissan does stuff to their VSQ 3.5 engine that is way advanced: coatings, forgings, over-designed strength. I consider their motors to be of BMW quality engineering and I am a motor buff. The gas mileage is less than the best but the vehicle, without reservation, will please. Unbreakable automatic. If the price is decent and the condition good (I'll bet its close to excellent), consider buying.
    Oh, one other thing, the "monoframe" is incredibly rigid and strong. They started with that frame in 1996 and there have been no issues whatsoever. Very rigid...makes for a great handling SUV that will surprise you in an accident avoidance manuever. BTW, I am not a "Nissan" freak. I buy what is the best.
  • motorbuffmotorbuff Member Posts: 4
    Save your money. When was the last time you "changed" the water in your baseboard hot water system in your home? No home? Sorry. But the point is, once the water has turned "brackish" and the oxygen used up in combining with iron in the boiler and copper in the pipes, the rust stops and homes wind up with the same water in their systems WITHOUT ANTIFREEZE for 25 years and more or until a pipe breaks.
    Long Haul truckers do not "change" their coolant out. They keep the coolant at 50-67% and add a can of "anti-rust" every other year. I worked for Allied Van Lines and I know that there are trucks on the road for more than a decade still running the original coolant. Once again, once the oxygen has been eliminated, why would you want to restore it with fresh water? Its one of the biggest hoaxes ever put on the motoring public. I bought a 1990 Honda Accord. Topped off with pure antifreeze when needed due to a hose change or clamp leak. It came with 50/50 mix and I never changed it. Added anti-rust every other year (Prestone). Traded car in with 90,000 miles in 2001 for a Nissan Pathfinder. The Pathy, at 5 years and 50K, still has the original coolant and water, but with a can of anti-rust.
    Save your money. Buy a can of anti-rust. Don't listen to the idiots at the car parts store...ignore the mechanics who have a vested interest in service and did not have chemistry at trade school. Stay with the factory fill, top off with pure anti-freeze, add a can of anti-rust every other year.
    Want proof? Aren't the companies selling 50/50 mix at nearly full price (which is 50% water and 50% antifreeze) as if they are "doing you a favor". You cannot trust what they say, or the government that allows it!
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Motorbuff, what's your explanation for the fact that most, if not all, car and light truck manufacturers maintenance schedules call for the coolant to be replaced periodically? They don't have a vested interest, and I assume they would use the need for less maintenance as a marketing tool, such as they currently do by stretching the required oil change intervals.
  • pathfindermikepathfindermike Member Posts: 4
    I'm going to have to disagree with motorbuff and agree with shark. Oh well it's already finished. Are you alright motorbuff? Why would I want to put fresh fluids in my car? I don't know! Once the coolant breaks down you lose lubrication of the water pump. Why not spend 15-20 bucks for some preventive maintenance? Especially something only changed every couple years.
    I don't really want to argue with motorbuff, but the fact of the matter is glycol is necessary, and does break down, becoming quite acidic. So it has to be replaced at specified intervals - every 2 years for ethylene glycol and every 5 years for propylene glycol. The additives in antifreeze do some important things as well, such as slowing corrosion (very important in engines with a mix of steel and aluminum such as -all- currently used engines in the industry.

Pathfindermike, lubrication of the water pump is a common misconception. If you look at a waterpump, you will see it uses two -sealed- bearings. If the glycol coolant gets in there (and it eventually does), it destroys the bearings, not lubricates them. They are "permanently" lubricated when they are made, with grease. The coolant -may- be claimed to keep the bearing seals cool, but that's about it.

Antifreeze coolant does two basic things:

1. It stabilizes the coolant at very high and very low temperatures. It raises the boiling point making operation in very high temps. safer. It lowers the freezing point, making operation in very cold climates possible. As a bonus, once you have at least around 40% glycol, even if it freezes it only turns into a gel, which is unlikely to crack the metal housings because it will still "flow" if it expands (the reason "blocks" are cracked is either the entire coolant charge is frozen and expands, or the coolant freezes in a local area, this ice prevents the continuing ice buildup from expanding into the liquid, thereby building up force against the container - the "block").

2. Perhaps the most important thing is corrosion protection, and it's not anywhere near as simple as motorbuff thinks. First, the glycol reduces corrosion (when "fresh"), and there are additives in the glycol that absorb acids that naturally form in a cooling system. These additives are slowly "used up". Once they are gone, even just glycol will not prevent the corrosion - I've seen an aluminum radiator pierced by corrosion in a year due to poor corrosion protection (10% glycol used).

I have a few friends here in Edmonton who are "production engineers" and make glycol. They tell me that ethylene glycol breaks down even in the plastic containers it is shipped in. Buy it fresh, use it immediatly, discard/recycle after two years! These days proper disposal is important, due to the increased number of cars in the environment.
  • 05pathfinderse05pathfinderse Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I have a 2005 SE & have had a number of rattles and squeaks to report. The first two were a rattle from the dash (drivers side)...diagnosed as an a/c line in contact with the firewall. This was fixed. The next was a creaking sound coming from the drivers side window...diagnosed as a problem with the window regulator/insulation in contact with window. This was fixed as well. A week after I got it back a new rattle developed in the passenger side and a loud squeaking noise from somewhere in the undercarriage or suspension...happens on any bumps...even louder when the tank is less than 1/2 full. I am wating for my appointment date the have these last two problems fixed. Will report what they find.
  • fortune gurufortune guru Member Posts: 3
    I am currently looking for a new suv with 4wd and have narrowed down my choices to the pathfinder and 4runner V8. I understand that on all pathfinder models, there is "all mode" 4wd which I assume means you can use 4wd on dry pavement. However, on the SE-Offroad, there is no center differential which means you can't use 4wd (4H) on dry pavement. Am I correct on this? Can you or can't you use 4wd on dry pavement? I occasionally need 4wd for seasonal activites such as driving on the beach, camping, and driving up mountains for snowboarding. I am interested in the SE-Offroad because it is the only model with uphill and downhill assist as well as Rancho Shocks.
    There are two different systems in use.

The first is "all mode" and only the LE gets this automatic 4WD system - in this system rear wheel drive is used unless slip is detected. Then a multiplate clutch engages the front wheels. This system can be switched to 2WD (only rear wheels engaged), 4WD (locked 4wd - slippery or loose surface only), and 4WD low range. The "all mode" system is built into the automatic transmission, so no manual trans. option with "all mode".

The other system is a standard 4WD system with a two speed transfer case. Recommended use of 4WD is on slippery or loose surface roads only.

I have lived with the second type of system and it works just fine. I used 4WD on pavement often (switching in and out depending on whether it was slippery or not). When you turn sharply you will encounter "binding" unless the wheels can slip. If used on good traction surfaces mechanical wear will increase greatly. Breakage of parts is unlikely except in LO range in extrodinary circumstances (such as jumping the vehicle off the ground).

My current vehicle (2001 LE) has the first type of system (now called "all mode"). It works well also. I do keep it in 2WD unless I'm on slippery surfaces, as it lowers fuel economy when engaged. When I first got my vehicle it was uncanny how I could spin up the rear tires on wet pavement but when set to "auto" mode ("all mode") I couldn't spin them up. That's the best part of this vehicle - the power the engine has!

Neither system has a centre differential. The 4Runner has a torsen centre diff. (this type doesn't clunk when locking or unlocking). My recommendation is if you are primarilly interested in off-road use, get the 4Runner. If most of your use is on the road, the Pathfinder is "nicest".
  • jerryandjerryand Member Posts: 8
    Just purchased a 2005 Pathfinder LE. Anyone using 87 octane instead of 93. I`ve been using both right now, don`t see any difference.

jerry
  • brewboy74brewboy74 Member Posts: 2
    I was told by a dealer that the prices have gone up on 05 Pathfinders. This has to be BS right????? They don't raise prices from the factory mid year? I also was quoted a different destination charge than the one listed here. Should I run?

Thanks
    Brian
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you are in the market to buy one, you can check out the True Market Prices here as well as recent deals reported over in Nissan Pathfinder: Prices Paid & Buying Experience. That should give you a good idea of what a good deal is.

And then, instead of spending hours haggling with the dealer, you can focus on your out the door price. That way you won't have to worry what the various fees are or what the current MSRP is. If the dealer won't meet your price, leave your contact number and walk out.

Of course, some people enjoy spending hours at the dealer haggling over each line item on the invoice.

Prices can go up mid-year; maybe someone here knows for sure. It doesn't make a lot of sense for a SUV price to go up when oil has almost hit $65 a barrel.

Steve, Host
  • tony22rtony22r Member Posts: 45
    [jerryand]
    We just got an '05 Pathfinder SE 4x2. I put 87, my wife puts 91! We should just split the difference and pump mid-grade huh?
    Either way it doesn't matter. Nissan puts Knock Sensors in all their engines; retards timing when it detects any knocking, resulting in the Non-optimum performance as the manual describes. In fact some tuners Remove this knock sensor since it may be overly sensitive to I/H/E mods that increase NVH, then they must compensate by running higher octane all the time.

[steve_ HOST]
    Prices can go up mid-year; maybe someone here knows for sure. It doesn't make a lot of sense for a SUV price to go up when oil has almost hit $65 a barrel.

Yeah and with all the incentives, rebates, and "employee discounts" offered by just about all dealers these days, it should be a Buyers' market out there.
    On our Pathfinder purchase, the dealership's First counter was $100 over Invoice! So we took it!
    After tax/license/registration, it came out to about MSRP out-the-door.
  • le02pathfinderle02pathfinder Member Posts: 2
    i just bought a 02 pathfinder and was just curious if anyone could tell me if the buttons on the steering wheel where the cruise control button and radio buttons are should light up , the reason i am asking is bc i just wanna make sure so i bring it back to dealer for them to fix

also the heated seat buttons dont light up only wen u push them then the orange light will appear saying that its on

the buttons on the door to set the seating settings 1 and 2 also dont light up, im sorry for asking stupid question but to me they all look like they should light up but they dont , so if anyone could respond i would appreciate it , thank you
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    I don't have an '02, I have a '97. However, I'm gonna guess that none of those switches have lights inside them. I know the steering wheel cruise control and the heated seat switches on mine aren't lit.

If you examine the switches closely, you should be able to tell if the diagram on the switch is designed to be lit by checking to see if the diagram is printed on the switch with white paint, or if the switch plastic changes color from black to frosted clear (such as some of the A/C and radio buttons).

If the switch uses white paint, then it's not designed to light up.
  • 05pathfinderse05pathfinderse Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2005 pathfinder SE and was wondering if anyone else out there has problems with rattles and squeaks in their vehicles. It seems like every time I get one fixed, a new one pops up. The worst part is that the most severe noises are intermittent and conveniently disappear for the tech at the service dept. (who have been very nice about trying to locate and fix these rattles). I currently have a very annoying rattle coming from the passenger side A-pillar, gets louder when the truck is slowing down or braking. The service dept diagnosed the problem as a loose trim panel behind the glovebox. This was tightened and the dash seams were insulated, but the rattle persists. The second problem I have is a loud creaking or squeaking noise that appears after about 15-20 minutes of driving. Any small imperfections in the road cause an intermittent squeaking which sounds as if it coming from the undercarriage or the engine compartment. Driving for 2 hours at a time with this squeak is absolute torture. This is the sound that does not appear for the techs as the test drive probably isn't long enough for the sound to appear. They did lube all of the suspension points in an attempt to fix the squeak, but it was still there the next day to annoy and embarass me through two states. If anyone has had similar problems, I would really appreciate it if you could tell me what to look for. Thanks!
  • interceptor07interceptor07 Member Posts: 19
    I purchased an SE Off Road back in June. It currently has 2500 miles and so far is great. I looked at the Toyota 4-Runner, but the Pathfinder was more appealing to me.

The Pathfinder looks better both inside and out. The fit and finish is excellent and the Pathfinder offers more standard features. The steering is tight and has a sporty feel to it. I have the SE premium package which has the dual zone climate control. The Bose stereo with MP3 6-disc CD and XM radio is awesome. The ride is trucky, but comfortable. It's what you'd expect with the off road package. Toyota doesn't offer XM or Sirius radio, nor does it have rear H/AC vents in the roof like the larger SUVs.

Previous vehicle was a 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe Z-71. :)
  • grizzleegrizzlee Member Posts: 4
    I took delivery of my new 2005 LE (DVD & Navi) tonight.

To replace my Pathfinder 2003 LE I was torn between the 4Runner and the Pathfinder. The 4Runner might have an edge on the Pathfinder (or so says most reviews) but the Pathfinder represents a terrific value. The price was good and I got a terrific package for the price.

My 2003 Pathy was great, not a problem in almost 3 years! regular maintenance that's it !! The lease was over and the buy-back value was way too high...

I agree that the ride is trucky but it IS a truck !!! I want it beefy, powerful (to tow my 3000lbs boat) so I have no trouble accepting this kind of ride. I am happy that Nissan came back to the frame setup

One question: The navigation system contains many errors (like wrong route number, stupid directions errors). Is there a way that the navigation system be updated by inserting an updated navi data CD in the reader ??
  • jim98010305jim98010305 Member Posts: 1
    Brian,
    I just purchased the 05 LE 4X4 and yes, the price went up mid-year $250 + the destination charge went up $40. I paid it for a car that was 4 days old. I could have saved money by buying a car sitting on the lot for 60 days, but chose not to for the latter production run vehicle.

Regards,
    Jim
  • sigb52sigb52 Member Posts: 1
    I also have an 05 pathy with noise(rattle) from front passenger area. The techs have found the noise using a special microphone system. It was located in the area where the firewall and two other panels come together. They want to drill out the welds and take it apart. Not letting them because I don't feel that welds done in the factory should have to be redone! I am not comfortable with the structure of the car being opened up like that. If nissan wanted the part to come apart it would be bolted not welded together. I am in the process of seeing if there is an alternative fix otherwise nissan is buying the car back. I think they my have a manufacturing issue. It could be a piece of metal, a bolt, or a bad weld. But, its frustrating the car is two weeks old. I could understand a component or part or something loose, but something in a part of the vehicle that has been welded together and sealed in my mind should not be opened back up. who's to say that the new welds will be as strong as the manufactured ones or that the structure will perform as intended or engineered from the factory. I am not risking my family or friends. Although on a plus side my dealership has perfomed great service wise. they have been keeping updated, honest and up front, and put me in a rental as soon as they could. keep you posted, your car could have the same defect. I know the nissan engineers are involved with this one.
  • mikeyg1mikeyg1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    It does not sound like a belt screeching more like a saw cutting metal sound but it only happens when the car is shifting at around 45 and I am accelerating. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • mermmd2mermmd2 Member Posts: 2
    went to the dealer for the 4th time and complained again about the problem with the instrument panel lights specially the turn lights witch when activated blinks then stops blinking then blinks again. also from time to time , different indicator lights in the instrument panel lights up .Aside from this , the car loses power (somewhat hesitates)when changing gears then after losing power it somewhat surges forward as if it was pushed from behind. The dealer told me they cannot duplicate the problem (these things did not happen while it was in the dealership)so nothing was done. They just did the recall for the reprograming of the vdc.
    i even ask another dealership about this and they told me that they will not be able to fix it until they can duplicate the problem also.

I also have noise(squeaking) from dashboard passenger area which appears intermittently and just on certain road conditions but more on cemented raods than on asphalt roads

has anyone had these problems with there 2005 path.
    really need help.