Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• phalanxphalanx Member Posts: 5
    :blush:
  • jcashjcash Member Posts: 6
    yea i would go to www.ebay.com
    or do a search on google.com because if your doing the work yourself youll be saving about $700 in labor
    I have, not a reply from any of them as of yet,guess I'll have to use a block of wood for a wedge. :surprise:
  • tjfilitjfili Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering the purchase of an '01 PF LE with 108k miles on the odometer. The sale price is $10,450. The KBB value places it b/w $11-14,500k based on condition.

Does anyone on the board have a high mileage 2001 PF? Any issues to ask the dealer about to see if they've been noted?

With that many miles on it should I steer clear?

Thanks in advance.
    tj
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    108k miles is not an issue at all if the car has been maintained by the book, but how can you really know if that has been done? Based on a lot of experience, I would not trust ANYTHING a car dealer tells me. My truck has 103K. Probably the most prevelant issue with this truck from what I've seen here is the intake valve timing sensors. They seem to last 40-70K miles each (there are two, one for each engine bank), and they cost roughly $250 to replace (parts and labor). The replacements seem to last about the same length of time, too. Also there was a TSB regarding an upgrade to the engine software which Nissan would do on vehicles still under emissions warranty (80K miles I beleive). Without the upgrade, the computer tends to turn on the Check Engine Light prematurely. Because my truck had 90k miles, the dealer charged me $300 to upgrade the software. What a ripoff, if the software from the factory was deficient when the truck was new, Nissan should pay for it irrespective of mileage. Once again, good luck asking the dealer to prove that this upgrade was done...how do you really know?
  • tjfilitjfili Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the insight Shark...I'm happy to hear that a PF with that amount of mileage on it is not a money pit on wheels. BUT, like you said, w/o those upgrades and if there was a lapse in maintenance it could be. Is there a checklist anywhere that you (or anyone else) knows of for a high mileage PF to see if all systems are working as they should? I guess Nissan service techs have one but what about for the rest of us...
    I don't think it would be much different than the checks you would make for any other used vehicle. If you have a mechanic that you trust, how about paying him for 2-3 hours labor to through the car and check all the systems (engine mechanical, trans, front and rear axles, suspension, brakes, stored computer codes, exhaust, emissions, cooling, electrical, etc.). He might find relatively minor issues that you might use to negotiate the price down, and the net cost of the mechanic might be zero or less. How about asking the dealer for the checklist they use when they are certifying a late model used vehicle?
    This pathfinder is taking me to the Drain , i have it less than 5 months now i just changed the brake master cyclinder pump, Previous to that was the fuel pump . Calipers Rotors, Brake Pads, Fuel Pump, Water Pump , Timming Belt. POwer Window switch , What else can go wrong with this car!!!! I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR SUPER LIFT SUSPENSION!!!!
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    What goes? Well, O2 sensors (there are four), the above mentioned cam timing sensors (there are two, you can see them on the front of the heads), and ignition coils (6), though not too many have complained about them on Pathfinders - Maximas are another matter. The 2001 was the first year for the VQ engine in the Pathfinder, though it was used for a few years earlier in the Infinity. So "first year problems" didn't really materialize.

So far that's about all the "common problems". If you are a little handy, I suspect you could change the O2 sensors if they go, and even the cam timing sensors - I haven't looked really closely at them, but there are only two bolts holding them into the head. Unless there is some wild clip inside they should be just unbolt and replace.

As far as telling what is wrong, that is another matter entirely. You need an OBDII reader or the Nissan system. Nobody can afford the Nissan system (even if they would sell it to consumers - which they don't). I tried an OBDII reader and it worked fine. It costs around $200. Without one you will have to rely on the dealer to troubleshoot the vehicle. Most charge around $50 to plug into the system and read the trouble code. Only after the "check engine light" comes on, of course. I'm told in the US "Autozone" will check it free for you.

Make sure the auto. trans. has been flushed and new auto trans. oil put in. The transfer case (if 4WD) and both diffs. should have an oil change. Make sure the coolant has been replaced - look inside the cooling system at an aluminum surface if you can for corrosion. It's an all aluminum engine and the coolant should be replaced every two years. Ditto for the brake fluid - I mean replaced, not just "topped up". Look for leaks on the power steering rack - it's an expensive replacement-only if it's leaking. I'd insist they change the spark plugs before I bought it - they can seize into the head if not removed every 40,000 mi or so - and they last a long time so they may not have been removed! If they seize it can be expensive to get them replaced.

Mine (2001 LE) and most others have been very reliable so far (I've only got 75,000 km - about 45,000 mi. on mine). I just got back from a long trip on 4 lane highway and 2 lane mountain backroads, and I keep being amazed at how well this vehicle works! With gas prices rising at nose-bleed rates I'm also happy - best tank this trip 11 l/100km and worst 13.5 l/100km - amazing for a two metric tonne vehicle!
  • lou_999lou_999 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 01 SE with 161,000km (100,000mi). So far it has been pretty good. The only problems I have experienced have been fairly minor (1 cam sensor, 1 ignition coil) and the ever present 02 sensor check engine light. I have ignored O2 thing for the past 20,000km and the vehicle seems to run okay. THe dealer wants $400 bucks to fix so one of these days I will get around to doing it myself. The only other annoyances are the drivers side step rail rusted thru -Nissan wouldn't cover this under body corrosion warranty because they consider the factory supplied rails to be accessories :( . THe cd player has just jammed (ER2) so I will have to fix that soon. Overall I can't complain since by girlfriends 03 Liberty has had more problems and it only has 45,000km.
    Ok i thought i fixed everything . I not liking this pathfinder Let me add the List again! i have it less than 5 months now i just changed the brake master cyclinder pump, Previous to that was the fuel pump . Calipers Rotors, Brake Pads, Fuel Pump, Water Pump , Timming Belt. POwer Window switch , What else can go wrong with this car!!!! """""THE RADIATOR HAS 10 PIN HOLES THAT LEAK '''' SO I WENT OUT TO AUTOZONE AND BOUGHT A NEW ONE.

I HAVE A QUESTION I HAD MY WATER PUMP CHANGED THE MECHANIC SAID ITS CONNECTED TO THE TIMMING BELT! SO HE HAD TO DO THE TIMMING OVER. NOW THE ENGINE SHAKES AND IDLES VERY WEIRD NOT TO ADD THAT HE SAID I DROVE THE CAR TO LONG WITH A LEAK COMMING OUT THE WATER PUMPED SO I BURNED ONE OF THE CYLINDER PISTONS . SO MY 1995 NISSAN PATHFINDER SE IS NO LONGER A V6 ITS A V5 5 CYLINDERS WORKING IS THIS POSSIBLE?
  • millarmillar Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know whether two infant car seats and one child car seat will all fit on the second row of seats?

If not, has anyone had two infant car seats in the second row with the child car seat in the third row? If so, is the second row able to be tilted forward without having to disconnect the infant seat/tether?

Many thanks.
  • rwrsrrwrsr Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know why there is no privacy shade for hiding packages in the rear of the '06 PF? Is there a place to buy an aftermarket shade? Thanks.
  • nissan17nissan17 Member Posts: 1
    The dealer told me it was because of the third row seats. When the 3rd row is up there is only a small section behind. It doesn't make sense to me either because I usually always have the 3rd row flat for storage area. I also noticed that are fixtures in the rear that look like they are for attaching a sliding shade like the old pathfinder which doesn't make sense. I searched for aftermarket and oem ones for 05-06 pathfinders but couldn't find anything. I really miss that option.
    Thanks Nissan17. I guess we will just have to throw a blanket over the items in the back and hope for the best.
  • levy76levy76 Member Posts: 8
    Hey. Have you recieved any responses to this? I am having the same problem(s).
    This was more than a year ago...I don't recall receiving any responses on this forum. It was my intention to write Nissan a letter demanding a refund, but I have to admit I never got around to doing so. On the other hand, there is no reason I can't write the letter now. I'd love to find someone for whom Nissan agreed to pay for this upgrade after the emissions warranty expired...obviously it would make my case stronger. What is your situation? Has your dealer already reprogrammed your computer?
  • brown3brown3 Member Posts: 26
    Just bought an '06 Pathfinder LE 4x4, and upon reading the manual I found out it has an "event data recorder" which records how the vehicle has been driven - something that could potentially be subpoenaed by law enforcement.

I'm a good driver - no tickets or at-fault collisions in over 30 years - but I really don't like the idea of a "Big Brother" type black box keeping constant tabs on me.

Any ideas on where the box is located or how to go about disconnecting it?
  • brown3brown3 Member Posts: 26
    I have an '06 LE 4x4, and I know what you mean - I used it quite a bit on my '93 Explorer.

If you look inside the vehicle on either side just behind the 2nd row seats, you'll see a couple of plastic plugs just below window level covering niches that look like they're in EXACTLY the place the privacy shade ought to be anchored. Combined with the notch on the right and and serpentine groove on the left you see just inside the rear hatch, I'd say they originally planned to include a retractable privacy shade, but some Nissan bean-counter deleted it to save a few bucks. :(

The guy at the dealer's parts counter searched his database for me . . . he said it was called a "tonneau cover" but it apparently didn't exist.

I'm going to see if I can adapt an ordinary retractable spring-loaded window shade . . . if I can find a suitable shade in an acceptable color, fabricating the rest doesn't look too hard.

I wish the 3rd row seat was optional . . . I just keep it folded and use the back for cargo, same as nissan17 . . .
    what year is this,se? 3.3 or 3.5?
    damn was this a lease vehicle?
  • rennwerkesrennwerkes Member Posts: 1
    Folks, just bought my "new" 1991 Pathfinder. The shocks need replacement and I'm probably going with KYB gas-a-just shocks. Does anyone think it's worth spending the extra $$$'s for Bilstein?
    Also, from the look of it, replacing the shocks seems to be a rather simple jack car up, unbolt and bolt on affair. Am I wrong?
    Thanks!!! :)
  • toolman911toolman911 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Pathfinder with 71k miles. Recently developed an exhaust noise that sounds to be coming for the passenger side exhaust manifold.
    I haven't been able to verify the location yet.
    I used to do my own car repairs, usually exhaust and brake type stuff. Been away from it for a while. Should I attempt this repair and what are the pitfalls.

Thanks. :)
    If you're lucky, it's just the downpipe leaking at the flange. If it's a cracked manifold you -may- have to release the motor mounts and deflect the engine to the other side to get enough room to replace it. xplorer4 can probably comment further.
    It's tight in there.

The previous engines (3.0 and 3.3 L) had some problems with manifolds cracking. I haven't heard anyone complaining about the VQ 3.5 L engine manifolds.

I hope it's just the downpipe. I don't want to be replacing my exhaust manifolds!
  • swaireswaire Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone purchased an extended warranty on a new 06 pathfinder? If so, could you please share what you paid and the details (deductible, millage, etc..). I recently purchased an 06 SE with comfort package and have not decided on the extended warranty. I'd like to have some negotiation power when I call the dealership next week.
    Thanks!
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Before attempting to fix it yourself, check with the dealer to see if the manifolds are covered under an unadvertised extended warranty. On the 3.3L engines, manifolds were covered up to 100,000 miles.

Get a quote from the dealer to see how much it will cost, then consider whether it's worth your time. Personally, I would pay to have it done, and I'm a decent backyard mechanic. There are just some things I'd rather let someone else do.

If you do choose to do it yourself, it's fortunate that the driver's side manifold is OK. It's a lot harder to replace.
  • toolman911toolman911 Member Posts: 3
    My 02 Pathfinder has 72000 mi. on it with the original belts.
    I've noticed small random cracks on the inside (ribbed) surface of the belts and I'm assuming that it is time to change these belts.
    I'd like to do this myself and I'm wondering how complicated a job it is. I consider myself mechanically inclined and have done some moderate car repairs in the past. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    Does anyone know if there is a retrofit kit for a 2001 Pathfinder to add LATCH points? The middle seatbelt really doesn't hold our car seat securely enough. I'd rather retrofit before I try one of thos "sardine can" winders that take up all the slop in the belt.
  • edgecombedgecomb Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I'd like to purchase a pathfinder where one or more of the seats in the second and third row fold flat, I know they make them for the 2006 but I'd like to get something used, anyone know?
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Only 05+ have 3rd row seats. In 96-04, there's no third row, but the 2nd row seats fold nearly flat.

Why do you need fold-flat seats?
  • davidcwdavidcw Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone seen the new desert stone color in person? I've seen it on several websites and in print but I'm curious how it looks in real life. Is it more like gold or copper or...?

I've been holding out for a red brawn or majestic blue Pathy with desert interior and navi but that combo has proven very hard to find in Washington State. The new color may be a worthwhile option.

Love to hear your opinions on it... thanks.
  • glg20glg20 Member Posts: 2
    Hi

I just bought a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot.

I was wondering if the Anti-theft security system that comes with the car has an immobilizer?

If so,what kind?

Does anyone know if this immobilizer (if it exists) is enough to convince my auto insurance company (in Alberta Canada) to reduce my auto insurance cost?

Thanks
    Does the key have a little rectangular plug on the handle and replacement keys cost $100 or so and must be programmed into the car? Does it have the flashing red LED on the dash? If so on both questions, it's probably the immobilizer system.

As for the insurance, I suppose it depends on the company, but I haven't seen any that give discounts for this. They have already factored that into the "book price" for insurance. Asking for further discounts really only applies if you add an aftermarket system, and even then they would probably laugh you out of the office.
  • glg20glg20 Member Posts: 2
    No to the first part of the question.

There is a red flashing bulb on the bottom left side of the dashboard, next to the steering wheel. Underneeth the bulb it it says "security".

I know that if I remote start the vehicle and then try to drive without the key in the keyhole/not turned the key, the car will shut down.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    I have a 2006 PF with heated leather seats. The switches to activate them have what appears to be two LED lights on them. The "light" at the top for the "high" setting is large and the one at the bottom for the "low" setting is smaller. I recently noticed that only the bottom light come on regardless of whether "high" or "low" is pushed. One Nissan dealer told me that both lights should light up and they set me up to come in for service. I then went to another Nissan dealer where I was told only the bottom light lights up regardless of whether high or low is pushed. Who is correct? Thanks.
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Nissan Pathfinder
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • jxamjxam Member Posts: 2
    My 99 pathfinder -160,000 miles-developed oil pressure problems (warning light, tappet noise) after sitting in a shop for a few days. The oil pan and oil pump intake screen were cleaned but the low pressure light came back on, mechanic cleaned the oil pan again and tested but seems pressure is still low so he wants to clean it again, says that more gunk is coming down and clogging the intake.
    Is the oil pump shot? Will I need to rebuild engine?
    :sick:
  • jxamjxam Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody know were to find a free online service manual for 99 Pathfinders?
    I'm in South America, it's not even available here, no online version from Nissan either. :confuse:
  • ethan33ethan33 Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 nissan pathfinder is having a little bit of trouble starting up, when i turn the ignition to start the vehicle it takes about 4-6 turns (sometimes more)for the vehicle to actually turn over... from there i have no problems anywhere. I dont know if it's the starter or what... but does anyone have any wise bit of info or solution for me?
  • 42short42short Member Posts: 1
    :cry: I lease a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE with 270 horsepower. I'm now seeing from the Nissan website that the 2007 Pathfinder has 266 horsepower. So my question is why the drop in horsepower. All the other carmakers are raising the bar when it comes to horsepower. Very soon Hyundai vehicles will have more horsepower in their vehicles. And please dont tell me that it was done to help with gas mileage issues. Toyota does not seem to have a problem with developing vehicles that have good gas mileage and high horsepower. What the hell is Nissan doing?
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I believe the new standards went into effect for measuring horsepower. The new standards more accurately reflect the horsepower being produced at the wheel so that may be why their number dropped for 2007.
  • silverghostsilverghost Member Posts: 154
    Are you saying you have to turn the key in the ignition 4-6 times before the engine begins to crank? If so, yes it could be an internal starter problem. It might also be a loose/coroded battery lead, a bad ignition switch, or a bad wiring connection between the switch and the starter. Regardless, it shouldn't be too difficult for a mechanic to track down. I'm not one, so that's easy for me to say :shades:
  • silverghostsilverghost Member Posts: 154
    Yep! Toyota revised their HP ratings for the 2006 model year. 236 V6 and 260 V8, compared to 245 and 270 in 2005. Based on that, Toyota was fudging just a wee bit more than Nissan. ;)
  • path2duxpath2dux Member Posts: 2
    Hello, sorry if this has been asked before. I have an '01 pathfinder se and would like to install a new rear view mirror with the compass and temperature. A dealer told me that it could be done, any suggestions and has someone done this before ? Thanks very much.
    The compass and temp display have nothing to do with the mirror. They are on a ceiling console. The mirror just snaps on that console. You'd need a new headliner to do this, unless your headliner has the console - it's part of the headliner. You'd also have to run the wires and install the temp sensor in front of the rad. I think you'd have better luck with an aftermarket temp display and compass. A LOT less expensive and much easier to install.
  • path2duxpath2dux Member Posts: 2
    OK, I'll check on that, thanks for the help. The dealer mentioned that it is an auto dimming mirror and my pathfinder should already be wired for it. I can check out the aftermarket suggestions as well to see what that will take. Thanks again for the time on answering me.
    I think your dealer is confusing the newer model parts with the 2001 parts. I have a 2001 LE (which was fully equipped with all options), and it doesn't have an autodimming mirror as far as I know. There are no wires to the mirror.
  • dmhinzdmhinz Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone;

I have a 2005 LE 4x4 and I live in the middle of "no where" Alaska. Evertyhing that comes in here comes in by air. That included my beloved Pathfinder. I have taken very good care of the truck but, I became lazy when the temp dropped to -30 and an unhealthy amount of corrosion built up on the (+) terminal. So much corrosion that the battery could no longer fire the starter.
    I solved that problem and now clean the posts all the time (even when it gets really cold. Sadly, something has now happened and my truck seems to be stuck in 4th gear.

The "O/D Off" light will not turn off. Pressing the O/D button changes the gear display between "D" and "4" but, the "O/D Off" light persists. Their is no torque at all, even in 4L w/ 1st gear.

A local here has a nice OD2 scanner and my poor Pathfinder is reporting code P0744D "Torque converter Clutch Circuit Intermittent".

I called my "local" Nissan dealer in Anchorage and he suggested I fly the truck in...for $3K.

I would be very greatful if anyone had some suggestions that might help me fix the problem. I'm not afraid to get dirty but, I'm not an auto mechanic. Thanks folks!
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Not meaning to be disrespectful, but had you EVER considered moving???...:):):):):)