Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• u8everythingu8everything Member Posts: 13
    When are these new units supposed to hit the showrooms? Thanks.
  • er2ver2v Member Posts: 12
    I know this is a frequent problem. I need any leads, links to past discussions, websites, solutions for repairing or replacing the OEM cd changer in my 01 Pathfinder. I get only a constant gear grinding noise for thirty seconds after start up. No cds eject, none play, and the error2 message shows up. If you have replaced yours (the path I'll likely follow), I would love to know which model deck or changer you've used and your satisfaction with it. Thanks!
  • mbpickensmbpickens Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 1/2 Pathfinder and just recently our cigarette lighter has stopped working. We use it with our Panasonic DVD player for the kids, so obviously this is an important problem to resolve (!). I checked the fuse for the lighter and it appears fine and we have not completed any work on the car, such as removing the radio or anything like that. I really don't want to take the car in to be fixed if its a small repair. I just don't want to spend $150 on this, but I might have to. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Also, to note, the extra power source on the middle console in front of the rear seat also doesn't work, and quite honestly I don't think it has ever worked. That fuse is okay as well. Thanks for any help or ideas you guys can provide!
  • mrmag001mrmag001 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 pathfinder and it won't turn over. I get NO spark and have installed a new rotor AND distributor cap but still does not start. I get 12V out from the coil to the cap....can anyone help me with this ASAP!!!!
    Thanks
  • narking35narking35 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. I have an infiniti g35 and the 6 disc cd player will not eject cd's it gives me a error code " cd err fo " could you tell me if i can remove discs from this code stand point or do i have to pay the 460 dollars to have them removed?
  • polsensnrpolsensnr Member Posts: 1
    My cigarette light does not have power. Could it be a fuse and does anyone know where the fuse is located? Inside the car by the steering wheel or under the hood?
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    This info will be in your owners manual.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    For the benefit of those buying a used Pathy that didn't come with an owner's manual, perhaps you could summarize what it says?
    Anyone driven one yet, or better yet bought one? What are your thoughts? Is the engine rather noisy, like the Armada?
    I'd be happy to, but my PF is an '01 and the fuse chart is likely different.
  • yankee52yankee52 Member Posts: 1
    DRL's work on drivers side only. Headlights work both High and Low on both Left and Right. Is there a rely that controls (lowers Voltage) and if there is where is it located. BTW this is a Canadain vehicle.... :(
  • dimeadipdimeadip Member Posts: 1
    My girlfriend's 2000 PF just recently began having an intermittent problem with the fan switch. When you turn on the fan, nothing happens. The AC compressor won't even come on (so at least it won't freeze up!) Eventually, if she turns it on and off and on and off enough, it will suddenly come on. She's not having any other problems. Any ideas would be very helpful?

Also, is it difficult to remove the center panels to get in to the switch itself with a meter?

Thanks
  • larrymelarryme Member Posts: 4
    I have a 95 pathfinder in great shape. 95,000 original miles. However, when overdrive is engaged the tranny seems like it can't make up its mind what gear it wants to be in. it will do this at lower speeds in town also, but once you disengage the overdrive. it works fine. Obviously, you cannot run the vehicle at high speeds without the OD. P :confuse: lease help!! No one can figure it out!!
    Larry, is it possible it's not the transmission shifting, but a problem with the torque converter repeatedly locking and unlocking?
    some one else had mentioned that also. i am not a mechanic. if that is the case, how would they check for that and what kind of $ are we talking about?

thanks for the response!!
    You need to find an honest trans shop no matter what the issue is. Unfortunately some trans shops will try to sell you a re-build when it's not needed. Take them for a ride to demonstrate the issue. You might want to get more than one diagnosis given that the truck is driveable, but it's also possible that even an honest shop may not be able to give you a price without spedning some $ on labor to dig into it. If the converter is the problem, I think (I'm really not sure) that the trans won't need to be disassembled to repair the converter (although the trans will definitely need to be removed to get to the converter). If the trans needs to be disassembled, given the age/mileage of the truck they will likely suggest a complete trans rebuild (which may be prudent while they have it apart). No matter what the problem is, it sounds like you do need to have it fixed and that more damage will eventually occur if you don't. I have no idea what it might cost, but it sounds unlikely that it will be an inexpensive repair, sorry.
    thanks so much. ihave been fighting with this for over a year now, and you are thefirst to shed some light as to what it may be. we do have a pretty good trans shop where i live. my next move is an appointment with him.

thanks so much.
    There is some chance it could be an easy repair, such as an electrical/computer issue if the converter is electronically controlled, but if it is a converter issue it's more likely mechanical. It could also be a problem with the throttle linkage causing the trans to kickdown a gear, but that's not likely. Please let me know what happens, I'm curious.
    absolutley!

i will defenatley keep you posted once we find out. again, thanks so much

:)
  • dugoutdugout Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my 2001 Pathfinder. I went to Nissan and bought a blower motor resistor (aka Fan control Amplifier) for about $45. You need a screwdriver and about 20 minutes from start to finish. My resistor was below the glove box underneath the dash (not behind it as some posts have mentioned - but it may vary from vehicle to vehicle). Its a plug about 2 inches wide by 1/3 inch thick with 2 scews on either side with wires running into the back. Do some google searching for "fan control amplifier" and you'll see diagrams on location and what to look for. Hope this helps.
    Larry, just curious, what did the trans shop have to say about your truck?
  • jd77777jd77777 Member Posts: 3
    I am considering the purchase of the 2008 Pathfinder but have read numerous posts related to hard transmission shifting at around 40 mph. Some owners expressed concerns with the transmission torque converter , in stating their dealer's had no know fixes.

Does anyone have more information on this issue ?

Thanks
  • saknjmomsaknjmom Member Posts: 26
    The drop resulted in the way manufacturers determine horsepower. I asked about this with my uncle at nissan corporate.
    I don't believe that's correct. There has been no changes to the way SAE certifies and measures horsepower ratings for many years. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the class action lawsuit against one of the manufacturers regarding horsepower ratings, and if perhaps certain manufacturers on certain engines have gone to more conservative ratings due to avoid potential litigation. Also, are we sure that something wasn't actually changed on the engine, such as minor changes to the camshaft or engine chip, possibly for reliability purposes or so that the engine creates more low end torque? Was there a simultaneous change in the torque rating, too?
  • ifyaknowatimeaifyaknowatimea Member Posts: 1
    I was just wondering if anyone knew of any manufacturers that may good chipsets and engine tuning upgrades for pathfinders. I have a 2001 SE
    I stand corrected, thanks.
  • triton88triton88 Member Posts: 4
    Hello. I haven't posted in a while but I'm glad to see this site is still up.

I have a little problem. When my Pathfinder is running or is shut off, I can really smell gas. There are no leaks. In fact I had one repaired because Nissan stopped
    manufacturing the one line I needed. The smell is on the driver's side of the vehicle. It's like the odor from fuel comsumption is being pushed out somewhere and sometimes into the cabin.

Thanks for your help guys.

Tony (Tnich94@yahoo.com)
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I have a 2001 Pathfinder & the recommended cold pressure is 26 psi. I seem to remember in 2002 they raised the recommended pressure... this was around the time of the whole Firestone/Ford Explorer blowouts. Anyway, I'm trying to find the Nissan recommended cold tire pressure found on the placard for 2002-2005 Pathfinders. This should be an easy one. Anyone?
  • adolfolamelaadolfolamela Member Posts: 5
    hi,

I need to know if my 2002 SE model Pathfinder is strong enough to haul and get a 19 to 21 foot boat out of the water using the ramp, because I want to put a trailer hitch to my PF but don't know if it has the power to get the job done or will it stay burning tires on the ramp while I have the boat on the water ready to come out. If someone knows please help me. Thanks
    I have an '01 PF and a similar size boat. Assuming you have an automatic trans, you definitely have ample power. But you also mentioned a concern about traction. That will depend on how slippery and steep the ramp is. If you have 4WD, you can likely handle just about any conditions. If your truck is only 2WD, it will depend on how slippery and steep the ramp is, as well as the condition and tread pattern of your rear tires. You might have a problem if the ramp is extremely slippery. I have 4WD and typical all season tires, and I've never had to use 4WD when retreiving my boat at all. What sort of shape is your ramp in?
  • adolfolamelaadolfolamela Member Posts: 5
    the ramps were I live in are usually slippery since I have to get the SUV's tires to touch water in order to get the boat, some of them are steep but it should be normal. I guess that if yours could without 4wd, mine should be able to handle it. thanks for the help.
  • pathfinder4pathfinder4 Member Posts: 2
    hi, i just bought a '97 nissan pathfinder. i love it, the only problem is the swing arm with the spare tire will not unlatch. the guy i bought it from said it would cost $200 at dealership to fix, but he had forgotten exactly what they had said was wrong with it. anybody here have any ideas? has anyone dealt with this before and fixed it themselves?
    thanks
  • adrianrothadrianroth Member Posts: 1
    The owners manual for my 1999 Pathfinder SE specifies that I must use high test gasoline (at least 91 octane). Therefore, I have two questions.

1. Is there a way to retune the engine so that I can use regular gasoline? (Or does someone make a computer replacement that does this?)

2. Does anyone have information about replacing my gasoline engine with a diesel? (Or is this too difficult/expensive?)

Thanks
    Your engine can safely operate on regular grade fuel without hurting it because your engine knock sensor will cause your engine computer to retard the engine timing. However, your fuel usage per mile will increase, and it pretty much offsets the savings in the fuel price per gallon, besides not allowing the engine to develop its full power potential. Several of us active on this thread tried it years ago and each saw similar results. The cost of replacing your engine with a diesel would be far more than you would ever save on the cost of fuel.
  • stmssstmss Member Posts: 206
    I am looking at an new 08 Pathfinder (V8). Two things concern me.

The first is that I have seen some reviews that there is transmission problems at 40 mph or so. Most refer to the the V6. Does anyone know if this problem is resolved or limited to V6 model? I did not notice it on my test drive.

Second item is handling over potholes. I noticed in the test drive the truck gets out of sorts when the front wheel hits pothole or any other bump in the road. Shakes quite a bit. Is this normal for this model?

Thanks for your help.
  • pathalogicalpathalogical Member Posts: 34
    I notice that my dash clock is always 2 minutes ahead, no matter how many times I adjust the clock. It's an 03 PF, any one else happen to notice their clocks ? No big deal though...at least I won't be late !!!

In Quebec, snow tires are now mandatory. Just wondering about the PFs in Quebec 1) Have you used snow tires before the new law and 2) If you bought snow tires for the first time because of the new law, what did you purchase ? I'm wondering just in case Ontario starts getting the same idea !

Thanks
  • Ray808Ray808 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any information on where I can find lift kits or 2 inch coil springs for my 2000 nissan pathfinder....? HARD TO FIND!
  • hutchscouthutchscout Member Posts: 2
    I drive a 98 SE with 265,000 miles. Just trying to keep the thing going till I get back to work. I hit a bad pothole the other day and the ABS light came on. I took it to my local shop, but the mechanic says I have to take it to Nissan- he can't fix it.

He says I will still have braking, just not ABS braking. Assuming I won't be driving on ice and snow, can I get by without ABS, or will my 'normal' braking be affected? I don't want to drive unsafe, but I don't want to drop $900 now if I can get by.

Thanks.
    Depending on exactly what the problem is, your mechanic may be correct, but how is that you are assuming the repair will cost $900? Even if it does cost $900, is it worth the risk of an accident and possible injury? Also think of the risk of being sued for negligience if you hurt someone and they find out your ABS system was not working and you ignored it? There's a lot more than $900 at risk.
  • pathalogicalpathalogical Member Posts: 34
    Can you really sue someone because they didn't get their ABS system fixed ? Is ABS required by law ? What if the owner can't afford to repair the problem ? There are many cars out there without ABS, should they be sued ? There are new cars that have ABS as an option, if a new car buyer chooses not to have the ABS, should they be sued for not selecting that option ? ABS does not prevent car accidents. People that have 100 % perfectly working ABS still get into car accidents. Most accidents are caused by driver inattention/distraction, failing to adjust to poor weather, not maintaining proper following distance etc....
    You can sue someone for just about anything...the issue is what are your chances of prevailing in your law suit. Let's say you skid into someone, they get hurt very badly, the police investigating the accident note that your ABS is not working and note it on the accident report, and the attorney for the person you hit notices it and is able to convice a jury that if you had repaired your ABS for a few hundred dollars your truck would have not skidded as bad and there would have been no acccident that caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills and permanently ruined someone's life. With those or similar facts a good attorney could certainly gain the sympathy of a jury. Ask any attorney to explain the risk to you. ABS can and does prevent accidents every day. Do you think you would be held any less responsible if you tried to argue that you could not afford the repair?
  • fxttonyfxttony Member Posts: 1
    hi, my friend has a problem, a check engine light came on, the shop diagnosed the rubber part in the thermostat deformed and it stuck open.
    since the rad cap seal was deformed also (from trans fluid leaking into the coolant)
    i was curious how many other parts are affected by the fluid?
    (i told her to replace the radiator, cap, water pump and heater hoses too).
    she will have to go back to the dealer for a trans flush, pepboys doesn't do a sealed tranny.
  • doctordandoctordan Member Posts: 1
    my 2005 nissan pathfinders low tire light will come on only when it is driven in the rain any suggestions?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Revisions for 2010 include:

Moonroof standard on Pathfinder LE V6

Navigation system standard on Pathfinder LE V8

New LE V8 Value Package added, featuring DVD player, 7-inch color monitor for rear passengers and moonroof

New SE Premium Journey Package, featuring 17-inch machined aluminum-alloy wheels, RearView Monitor, roof rack crossbars, 10-speaker Bose® audio system, XM® Satellite Radio (XM® subscription required, sold separately), Bluetooth® and Intelligent Key

One new exterior color – Dark Slate

Simplified exterior and interior color combinations
  • terrikayeterrikaye Member Posts: 9
    My 1994 pathfinder started backfiring the other day. It only happens when letting off the gas and letting the car coast. I have done a search on the entire pathfinder forum for "backfiring" and it only brings up one post!! Is this such an unusual thing for a pathfinder to do? Or is the answer so obvious that I'm the only one that had to ask? :cry: What would be my starting point for searching for the problem?
  • lizzie51lizzie51 Member Posts: 1
    how many miles are too high in a used Pathfinder and what problems to expect? What if the car doesn't have complete service records? How much can I negoiate the price down based on that?
  • spiker3spiker3 Member Posts: 3
    My pathfinder has 93k miles is 2wd,automatic,v6. Lately I've noticed a squeak at very slow speeds such as when pulling into my garage or backing out.Put jack stands under the rear and turned the wheels to see if it was brake related , its not . The squeak is only there when the drive shaft turns. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a tsb on this problem? any info greatly appreciated.
  • tonypaktonypak Member Posts: 1
    Daytime running lights not working, high beam only on one side, low beams are fine.

I have the same problem for a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder. If you figured out the problem then can you please share how this was fixed.
    Thanks
    Tony
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    A 2010 Armada SE or a 2010 Pathfinder LE w/ Nav. They are similar in price. I am not towing anything but just want a truck to replace my Altima. I had a Sequoia prior to the Altima and want to get a SUV now. Any thoughts??