Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• billwfriendbillwfriend Member Posts: 44
    Thanks "Milous"! Exactly what I was looking for.
    Anybody have experience/knowledge about a "buzzing" associated with hard acceleration in 1st gear only with auto/tranny 4.0 V6 (2000)? It's kind of a meaty, higher pitched buzzing. But it's not apparent under normal acceleration, or in any other gear. The tranny shifts smooth as silk, so should I be concerned? Thanks!
  • tuttietuttie Member Posts: 4
    i have a 96 jeep grand cherokee limited and i changed the battery to the remote, does anyone know how to reset it, also i bought a new one and would like to program that one also...please help
  • milousmilous Member Posts: 39
    Stevem17, your Limited did not come with the factory CD changer??? It was standard on all Limited's with the Infinity package...the in-dash CD slot works with the factory changer for a total capacity of 11 discs. An aftermarket different brand changer would be difficult or impossible to get to work with the factory head unit as it is wired into the vehicle PCI bus.
  • mdjeepmanmdjeepman Member Posts: 21
    I am surprised no one else has posted anything about this yet. More than one million jeep models are being recalled because of a potential engine fire hazard according to news reports from DC. They are recalling 2000-2002 Wranglers, 2000-2001 Cherokees, and 1999-2001 Grand Cherokees with 4.0 liter engines. They said debris accumulation in the engine compartments of these vehicles could potentially cause a fire. Chrylser determined that an engine design modification could lead to a change in airflow and cause debris accumulation in the engine. They will attach a shield in the engine area of each vehicle to prevent this from occuring. The recall effects 182,044 Wranglers, 293,968 Cherokees, and 639,310 Grand Cherokees. I haven't received anything from DC yet about it. I have a 99 JGC 4.0 liter. Has anyone seen anything yet?

Here's more:

http://money.cnn.com/2002/04/16/pf/autos/jeep/
  • mmetwebmmetweb Member Posts: 1
    My JGCL has been on order for 8 wks now. I was wondering if the Infinity sound system that i'll be getting will play CDR media. I have the cd only version. Waiting and waiting...
    mdjeepman,

I saw the recall too! I advised my dealer about it, right before I signed my life away for a 2000 fully loaded JGC Laredo. The dealer said we'll be getting notices directly from Jeep next month. Then we can get the little plastic shields installed. Fortunately, no reported incidents of engine fires. Keeping fingers crossed! Today is day (2) of ownership and I'm still in shock of how nice this vehicle is! I've owned (9) other vehicles since '94 and this blowes away GM, Ford, and Hyundai products. Total luxury from 10-way power leather seats to power moonroof, steering wheel radio controls, and a fun mini-computer with the overhead consule. My wife wants to move out of our house and into the Jeep! And I don't want to stop driving. Enough power from the inline 4.0, and the tranny is smooth as silk. Glad my Jeep was previously owned by a little old lady, literally.
  • paramedic99paramedic99 Member Posts: 64
    I saw the release on the fire issue but pretty much dismissed it as a risk. Just paranoia in the post Firestone era as I see it. air flow COULD cause debris to accumulate that COULD cause a fire ...too remote if you ask me.

I have been to many vehicle fires and dont recall a Jeep in a long while. How many pintos are still on the road ? How many pick ups with side mounted fuel tanks ?
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    Why should you be surprised that no one had posted that recall here? Everyone assumes that people know about it because it happens all the time to Chrysler and to some degree to Ford and GM too. I just bought an Infiniti QX4 that expect far fewer problems from. Yeah, yeah, I know its not American made but it is better quality and I have gotten tired of buying American made just because its American made and having it last half as long as the Hondas Toyotas or Nissans w/o problems.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The dealers don't know much about the recall yet:

Dealers Prepare for Jeep Recall

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    "Everyone assumes that people know about it because it happens all the time to Chrysler and to some degree to Ford and GM too..."

mdjeepman, what do you mean "all the time" to Chrysler and "to some degree Ford and GM"??? Gimme a break, have you ever counted up the recalls by Ford in the past couple years? Ford dwarfs Jeep recalls in the same period!!

Infinity? Didn't Consumer Reports just rate them terrible for comfort, especially with a few passengers aboard? And they also stated "unimpressive handling". To me they look similar to the new GM SUV's. I'll take a Jeep any day!
  • milousmilous Member Posts: 39
    I stand corrected, evidentally there are some aftermarket changers that will hook up to the factory head unit on the JGC. Autotoys.com carries some adaptor cables and may have more info on which units are compatible. Alpine made a 6-disc changer that may still be available.
    I didn't see the statements you say Consumer Reports made about comfort and handling but those are both excellent in my opinion. I have owned this thing for 3 months and it is the best vehicle I have ever owned.
    I got the info from the April 2002 Annual Auto issue, page 49 where the main car listings are. They said that handling was "secure but not impressive", that "ride quality quickly deteriorates with passengers aboard", and that "cargo space and load capacity limit its usefullness". They praised the fit, finish and reliabilty but also implied that it was pretty much an overpriced version of the Nissan Pathfinder.

It sounds like a pretty decent vehicle but I have never driven one so I cannot comment on the ride or comfort level. But I have driven a ton of other different SUV brands, owned a few different ones, and so far by a long way the Jeep GC has been my favorite. Fit and finish are beyond perfect, and so far not a single problem after over a year of driving. I don't keep my cars more than 2-4 years, that "new car smell" gets me every time I get near a showroom. But next time I'll check out the QX4 and take one for a spin.
    You keep a car for 2-4 years. You may not see the significant problems that Chrysler WILL have, although most I have known have shown up very early. I plan to keep the QX4 for 10-12 years and put about 250,000 mile on it. I would never trust a Chrysler product with my wife and kids in it out on the road at 200,000+ miles.
  • zeke707zeke707 Member Posts: 74
    We bought our JGC new in 1993. Now after 109k, still driving and liking it. Plan to keep it a few more years.
    Ford - you have got to be kidding ! Firestone tires. Play a little game with yourself. As you drive the interstates take notice of the broken down vehicles. My bet is at least 2 to 1 they are Fords.

The all have recall issues just scan the other news groups. Its part of QI as I see it.

I won't bad mouth Toyota or any of the other foreign makers. If you choose to buy American or not thats fine - not my battle. I will say this however, there are always sacrfices when you move from one manufacturer to another. Could be leg room, head room, off road, repair cost, parts cost, styling. Always something.

Interestingly enough we contrast these foreign car manufacturers against the behemoths of Detroit. Size matters ? Why wouldnt these huge manufacturers have more recalls then other small operations ?????? (And yes I realize how large Toyota is)
  • gotothelightgotothelight Member Posts: 31
    Tloke1, I see you have quoted the consumer reports issue that says the Infiniti QX4 ride quality suffers when fully loaded. Doesn't that same issue list the Infinti QX4 as the best vehicle in regard to repair? Best vehicle I think in this case means of all vehicle, cars, SUVs and trucks. Also, that same issue of consumer reports states that buying a JGC would be ill advised given that it placed dead last in frequency of repairs as compiled from owners. I think they called the JGC a reliability risk. So, since you'll take a jeep any day, I sure bigorange30, (who bought a QX4) will be spending a lot less time at dealer for repair. BTW, hows that recent recall thing going with Jeep. Did that affect your JGC, or was it just everyone else??
    The same issue you quote calls the QX4 the most reliable vehicle on the road, period. The information it quoted about the Cherokee is exactly the reputation of Chrysler I have come to know. This is the reason I would not invest in this brand. I have had so many friends who have had tremendous difficulties with Chryslers. It is too many to be a coincidence and others like CR have validated that perception.
  • rb123rb123 Member Posts: 51
    I have to ask why do you keep posting here? I'm sure the people over at the infiniti forum would like to hear how much you love your QX4. Have you ever even owned a JGC? I think the JGC is a leader in the SUV marketplace with it's excellent offroad ability very well designed interior powerful V-8 engine and I could go on and on but most people that own JGC's already know these things. I think if you take a look at the sales figures you will see that a lot of people would agree with this considering it is the second best selling SUV on the market. I think it is great you like your QX4 but you are just in the wrong forum.
    gotothelight, in my post above per the QX4 I stated "They praised the fit, finish and reliabilty".

As far as Jeep "frequency of repair" you must not have looked in the back at those charts or you would have seen outstanding results across the board for Jeep Grand Cherokee in the past couple years. The 2001 models are well above average from top to bottom. For some reason, in the text descriptions, CR keeps quoting from their 1999 reliability reports, of which that was a bad year for the new Jeep. But for 2000, 2001 and now 2002 reliabilty is right up their on top, well ahead of a lot of the competition.

As for your QX4, I'd be willing to add up repair/maintenace bills between what you will spend in the next few years and what I will spend. The QX4 may be "more reliable" but the dealer will bend you over good on those $1,000 5k "tune-ups". And yes, read some of the message boards on the QX4 and you'll see that owners have problems like everyone else.

Finally, I'd rather have a vehicle that is much more comfortable, better designed, and a lot more fun to drive. The QX4 Minivan does not fit that requirement, and in some reviews owners have really complained about the uncomfortable seats. I have to ask you, gotothelight, is that something you want to deal with for 10 or 12 years???? Looks like you might be using some of the "savings" from your repair account for a chiropractor!
    My manual says that no tune-up is neccessary until 105,000 miles.
    I will gladly take your challenge to compare receipts and if you can do it honestly, I will promise to also. You can email if you like to set it up.
    rb123 asked bigorange30 why he keeps posting here. Simple, tloke1 keeps posting incorrect information about other SUVs. tloke1, the QX4 is not a mini van. Oh, wait a minute, you must know that and ment it to be disrespectful. Typical of you. Why am I here. I don't even own a QX4 or a JGC. Agine, simple, I read these posts and others here at Edmunds to gather information on SUVs for my reading pleasure. Wouldn't it be nice to use these pages to post real information on each others experience with their SUV. But you see with tloke1 here constantly bashing other SUVs and and posting false (yes false) information, some of us feel compelled to set the record straight. Bigorange30, don't bother comparing you repair receipts with tlok1, you just know he wont use all of them. BTW, tlok1, you didn't answer my question of whether your JGC is part of the recall. Or is that information also in the back of consumer reports that I didn't see?
    bigorange really seems concerned with the JGC. I don't understand why you would be so concerned with the JGC reliability if you don't own one and are not going to buy one. I think bigorange is sorry he did not get a JGC instead of the QX4 and now is trying to justify it. By the way the recall only applies to 4.0 models and is just installing a shield to be on the safe side. A recall is not always a bad thing it is better than letting a potential problem go. Most vehicles have a recall at one time or another.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    People keep buying grand cherokees, regardless of what's said here or even bad experiences they've had with them. Look at how many people here admit problems with their JGC's and then buy another one. My in-laws bought a '99 limited over an RX300. They were leaning toward the RX300 until the dealer gave them some prices for the recommended services. In hindsight, the maintenance, tires, and minor repairs haven't added up to anywhere near what the Lexus dealer wanted just for routine service. But hey, they give you a free ES300 to drive and a hand wash!

3 1/2 years, 80Kmiles, and a few minor problems later they go shopping for a new SUV. Test drove Landcruiser, QX4, and JGC Overland. Anyone want to guess what's in the driveway? Someone that likes the useful/practical characteristics of the Jeep isn't going to be easily swayed into something else.

I wouldn't put the QX4 in the mini-van category like I do most other SUV's. It's basically a Pathfinder which is a fairly capable SUV. Needs some more in the engine department, but not a bad vehicle particularly if you have very few plans for doing anything more than pavement pounding.
    "tloke1, you didn't answer my question of whether your JGC is part of the recall. Or is that information also in the back of consumer reports that I didn't see?"

Hey golight, NO - my Jeep has never seen the inside of a repair shop. Never. And since I have a V8 it is not part of the preventative "recall". rb123 really stated things very well, you need to read his post again (# 1024).

And WHAT info I have posted is incorrect? The part about calling the Q4 a "minivan"? I guess it looks more the the new Trailblazer, nothing innovative at all about the styling. But, that's just my opinion.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    "The dealers don't know much about the recall yet:"

LOL...What Chrysler dealer knows ANYTHING about TSB's and recalls? This is NOT surprising!

fastdriver
    Well, my service manager did me a favor yesterday, so I take it all back :-). Those guys are great!

Steve
    Host
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    steve_ HOST-

LOL... Glad to hear that there's ONE good one around. Then again, maybe he knows what your part-time job is and wants you to put in a good word for "5-STAR" DC dealers?

fastdriver

PS Even when the WHOLE world knows about a recall OR a TSB, the dealers STILL play dumb! I think you know that as well as I do, especially if you host Chrysler boards.
    Nope, the van's in my wife's name and I didn't wear my Edmunds T-Shirt nor my Edmunds ballcap there (I have a "My Smart Buy" Edmunds license plate holder, but it's not installed either).

Actually he approved the out-of-warranty repair and didn't dispute cause over the phone, otherwise I wouldn't have driven across town.

I have had success asking "Is there a TSB out on this" and haven't been lied to yet.

Dealers Rule! ;-)

Steve
    Host
    Tloke1,
    Great new about your JGC not ever being in the shop. You may want to go and read through the JGC problem board though to see what the future holds for you. Rotors?
    Denial? What denial? I never said my Jeep would NEVER be in the shop, I said that so far after more than a year it has not YET been in the shop. Your Infiniti WILL also be in the shop, trust me.

Meanwhile, here's some more info for you to soak up while you ride around in your QX with a sore back:

"Apparently horrendous gas mileage for the QX4 though"

"You gotta be nutz to buy the infiniti. Resale is dreadful"

"I found the QX4 to have a noticeable lack of headroom in the front. I found this to be rather strange since I'm not a particularly tall guy (5' 10"), but I was constantly aware of my head/hair brushing up against the roof during my test drive today"

"On the Infiniti, the CD changer gets relocated to the cargo area and you have no way to change CDs in the front at all (not even a single disc). That alone caused me to opt *out* of the Nav system on the QX4." (A true example of MORONIC engineering!!!- tloke1)

"The MDX significantly outperformed the QX4 in the IIHS crash test"

Vs Lexus: "If you wan't a more reliable vehicle, one with better resale value and superb service, get the RX300"

"Rear legroom is a problem with the QX4"

"Seat adjustment a little hard to get to on the QX4"

...and too many other things to list, outta time...
    Some of those are one man's opinion's, some are just not based on facts, some made up and some are just down right lies. Come on tloke, you can make up better stuff than that. Resale is a little hard to evaluate unless you know the original purchase price and you sell it. However, checking comparable equipped 2001 used vs. 2002 new, the QX4 has a 87.4% retention of value ($33789 vs. $29539) where the JGC has a 84% retention of value ($31117 vs. $26147) as quoted by Edmunds TMV's. The CD changer is totally contained in the dash. What's all this about it being in the cargo area? Who cares if a something $5000 more expensive outperforms it in any way. If you can't afford another $5000 or don't want another $100/month payment, why does it matter. CR rated the QX4 as the "most reliable vehicle on the road". What better rating can you get? You would rather drive a vehicle that can get engine sludge? Legroom and seat adjustments have been great for me and all my passengers. I haven't heard any complaints yet.

So, if we're gonna do REAL comparisons (which I am sure you don't REALLY want to do) let's base it on unbiased facts and compare the JGC to the QX4 not other vehicles.
    Some comments were made up? Lies? Not by me. Don't jump to conclusions and false accusations. Every single one of the quotes above (in message 1032) was taken, word-for-word, from the Edmunds forums.

Engine sludge? You must be thinking of Toyota. It seems that you regret getting the QX4 and wish you would have bought the Jeep instead. That's ok, you'll soon tire of the boring drive the QX4 provides and will want to step up to a real SUV, and we all know that "there's only one".
    "First I want to thank all of you who post on Edmunds. This forum helped me get my '99 Grand Cherokee turned in under lemon law because of all the postings from people with the same ten issues I kept having. This forum also help me decide on a 4Runner because of the lack of customer compliants in the forum! However I must add the Grand Cherokee with V8 and QuadraDrive was a much better off road and on road vehicle than the 4Runner, sorry to say. The dealer liked all the money the service dept made off the auto as well!"

This is just an example of what I hear all the time.
    I was talking about Toyota because you compared the QX4 to the RX300 which is made by Toyota and is included on the list of engines that sludge.
    Can we get back to Jeeps now?

thanks.

Steve
    Host
    Where is tloke1? I tried to take him up on his offer to compare repair shop receipts but haven't gotten a response.

This was posted by mthomas3 on the QX4 board today.

"I know jefferson1964 was just trying to stir up debate, but I have a real life account of a friend, Bill, who owns a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive limited slip for all 4 wheels. He went 4-wheeling with us last month in the Arizona desert and got stuck twice. I got to pull him out once with my QX4, and an old beater chevy pulled him out a second time. The highly touted limited slip for all wheels is worthless at best.

His Jeep GC is now 8 months old now, and has been to the shop for warranty service an amazing 9 times. The vehicle has failed to start at work twice, and had to be taken to the dealer on a flatbed truck. Bill is still waiting for a couple of items to be fixed. My QX4 is 7 months old, and has needed no trips for warranty service, and everything works perfect.

Bill is now planning to trade his Jeep GC in for a QX4 or a PF. If jefferson1964 is listening and interested in a nice 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited, I can set him up with this pristine example."
    I just had to comment on your last post. First of all who would take a QX4 offroad and secondly I don't believe for a second that a QX4 would be pulling a JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE out from being stuck. But I do find it funny that you really think that a QX4 or any of those other fake SUV's could compete with a JGC offroad. I'm not saying it didn't happen I'm just saying I don't believe it. I do know that if the JGC was stuck that QX4 did not cross that same area with no problem.
    and it's fair to say anyone can get anything stuck. I had a buddy with a Silverado with 6" lift and 40" super-swampers. I regularly would run an obstacle with my bone-stock Tacoma and then pull him through. The difference was I picked a line and powered through as needed. His technique was a bit more red: full throttle!!!

Everyone knows someone with a JGC that's had problems, but nobody knows anyone with a Q with any problems. Which is reasonable since Jeeps sells 16X more. 3X as many if you include the Pathfinder. I personally know 6 people with JGC's. None with Nissans. I'm pretty open-minded and not overly brand-loyal. I buy what I like. I just don't like the Pathfinder as much as a JGC regardless of reliability. Apparently the majority doesn't care either.

If every JGC was as unreliable as the ones posted here, you would be forever stuck in traffic as the streets would be overflowing with stranded motorists. Our local dealership is a Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Chrysler combo and all the service is combined in one building. I've yet to see the building full of JGC's as one would expect if all 2.4M of them required repairs once a month. None of the six people I know that have JGCs have had more than one or two problems, one with well over 100K. I have the maintenance records for my in-laws '99 because it's owned through our company, I'll list everything below, amounts rounded:

Purchased July '99, '99 Limited 4.7L, quadra-drive, moonroof, infiniti CD with changer. Paid $33,200 including tax/title.

5,400 miles: lube, oil, filter (LOF) $22

11,600: LOF, brakes replaced & rotors turned because they were squealing $22

17,200: LOF, $22

21,300: LOF, complained of clunk when coming to a stop, ordered new drive-shaft: $22

24,600: LOF, replaced drive-shaft, replaced rear cargo-cover, replaced air-filter: $39

30,400: LOF, changed tranny, diff, transfer case fluids, $134

36,200: LOF, $22

41,400: LOF, $22

48,600: LOF, $45 (Jiffy lube, what a rip)

49,100: New tires, $550

52,400: LOF, front pads and rotors replaced, $187

58,100: LOF, air filter, $37

64,300: LOF, clunking when turning sharp, checked ordered axle, $45

66,900: LOF, replaced front axle, $310

72,400: LOF, $24

Bought a new one a few weeks ago and an employee is buying this one for $15,600 which was what the dealer offered on trade plus the tax difference for not trading on the new one. Based on the many other vehicles we have in the company fleet, none of this is excessive or out of the ordinary. Many cars have lost more than 60% over that amount of use. Of course we don't normally sell them for what a dealer offers on trade either but will for an employee.
    New brakes and rotors at 11 K, replaced drive shaft at 24 K, new front axle at 67 K? Dang that's alot of repairs that shouldn't have to be made on a well built vehicle. I don't hear about much of that from other makes. Does that qualify for a buyback under the state lemon law? If not, I would drop that one like a hot potato now that its out of warranty.
    Usually, they only apply to the first 12K miles you own a vehicle. Most state laws go like this: 3 repair attempts within 12K miles or 30 days out of service during that time period. Some go a bit more, but that's the general rules. The only issue during that period was brakes that squealed as you came to a stop. The dealer decided replacing the pads was the best approach, and they always turn the rotors when they replace pads. Seems pretty reasonable to me. Driveshaft was silly in my book. My buddies 4runner did the same thing for the 100K miles he had it, didn't hurt a thing.

I've personally put several hundred thousand miles on Toyota Camrys (anyone want to argue the reliablity of those?) and according to bigorange my '97 Camry would have been a lemon because it had a couple problems. Anyone that thinks you can drive a vehicle and never have a single problem is living in a dream world. I've never seen one and I've owned quite a few Toyotas that were far superior to anything else I've owned, but still not absolutely flawless.

Anyway that's the details on what you call a lemon JGC. I calculate $1503.00 in maintenance and repairs during 70K miles counting tires. You perform book maintenance on your Q and get back to us with your number. Don't forget to include tires! Also to make it truly fair, make sure you stick a horse trailer behind it a few times (just pull it empty since the Q isn't spec'd to handle the weight), and at least once a week drive a 4 mile stretch of fire-road a Lexus RX300 wouldn't make it out with 3" of snow (they tried).
  • ronc5ronc5 Member Posts: 7
    Can we please get back to JGC's. Who cares what they compare or don't compare to.
    Good idea - consider this the 3rd warning.

steve_ Apr 27, 2002 9:31am

Steve
    Host
    Ordered some after market tow hooks for the front end. Noticed that the cut outs are there etc. Anyone here install these themselves ? If so did you have to remove anything ? Looks a little tight down there to get an air tool on the nut to crank this down ??? Before I get started I thought I would get some feedback.
    Thanks
  • bluesun99bluesun99 Member Posts: 16
    I have a '02 GC V8, Quadradrive, with a tremendous thirst for gas. It only has 2900mi. and is a gas hog. My over all average is 11 mpg. (checked the old way with pencil and paper). The overhead console pretty well agrees, showing 11.5 mpg overall. Is this the best I can expect from this vehicle? My '97 6 cly. Larado, Selectrac, averaged 18 overall. I drive with a light foot and am doing everything I can to conserve. Has anyone undertaken any modifications to improve their mileage? Any suggestions regarding what could be wrong or what I can do to improve mileage.
  • leo948leo948 Member Posts: 38
    two ideas came to mind when i read your post: aerodynamics and tire pressure. if you use a rooftop carrier (ex. Sears' S-cargo,etc) then your mileage will suffer tremendously, and you should check your tire pressures as well. low pressures will effect your mileage and increase tire temps which could result in a blowout. my '01 jgcl w/v8 and 2wd averages around 17.1 mpg in mixed driving. i've seen my mpg drop to 16.0 with a heavy right foot.

i hope this helps..
  • rinkinkinrinkinkin Member Posts: 35
    My 2000 GCL with V8 Q-Trac consistantly delivers 14.5 m/g ( all city driving) and about 10% less in cold weather. These fig. are compiled over the last 2 years on every tank of gas I filled-up. Figures from mixed driving conditions were discarded. Hope this will giver some idea to folks out there. NOTE: fig. is based on IMP. Gallon which is (?) bigger than U.S. gallon.
  • ohana25ohana25 Member Posts: 2
    This is my first posting here, but I'm sure it won't be my last based on the discussion. I have a 1993 JGC Limited. It's my second Jeep. The first one was a Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 1987 that was hit broadside and rolled. My wife and I were wearing seat belts, and we came out relatively unhurt considering the violence of the roll at 60 MPH. The other car ran a stop sign, and hit us right on the rear wheel. I bought the JGC because we were so impressed by the protection we were afforded, and we had also had good luck with our maintenance.

The 1993 model has been "the best vehicle I have ever owned"! The only problems have either been self induced or minor in nature. I don't have my record just in front of me, but I know I had a coil go out at about 90,000 miles, and replaced the rotors when I did the brakes at about 100,000 miles. We had a door seal fail at about 50,000 miles. The one nagging problem has been the rough idle on the 4.0 L inline 6. That has been going on since we hit about 75,000 miles, and the dealer doesn't have clue on how to make it better.
    So, that is my story and I'm sticking to it! This "car" has taken me all over the west coast. It tows my boat every year to and from the lake as well as one trip per year to the Seattle area (about 200 miles) and has taken the boat over the Siskyou mountains twice. Empty, I get 20+ MPG, and towing about 10 MPG.

I intend to buy a 2002 with the 4.7 L to get a little more power without giving up too much in the MPG department.

PS: What's with the guy who wrote the last article for Edmunds where he complains about the ride? If I wanted a car, I would buy one. I like the fact that I have the choice to buy a vehicle that will put the Utility in SUV. It tows, it hauls, it commutes. I can't imagine towing my 5000 lbs. of boat and trailer with an Exploder (pun intended). And a Lexus? I don't think so!