Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• akv25akv25 Member Posts: 42
    Hi Guys!I have a 2002 Laredo 4WD V8. I have already had the front rotors replaced once.

#1 I was wondering if someone could tell me if I could replace the standard 16x7 wheels (225/75R16) with 17x7.5 wheels(235/65R17s)? Will this void my warranty in any way and will it make any difference at all in the braking performance?

#2 What do you guys think of snow tires? I read an article that said they increase traction by 30%. I live in an area where there is a lot of snow and bad conditions for the road.

Thanks
    From Iron Mountain,MI
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    I got a set of front tow hooks for my '02 JGC Limited for Christmas. The installation instructions look pretty straightforward, but installing the tow hooks includes removing the grill & bumper cover. Has anyone done this? If so, are there any tips/tricks you'd like to share?

Thanks!
    Dave
  • deejay16deejay16 Member Posts: 9
    Well, I went ahead and leased a new 2003 JGC Laredo, and am turning in my 2000 JGC Laredo early.
    I really wasn't sure I was going to do this until I managed to get this from the dealer:

2003 JGC Laredo with Alarm, CD/Cassette and cargo cover.
    39 month lease, 39,000 miles.
    No money down, $260/month, plus they are giving me $900 cash to buy out my old lease.

Do you all think that this is a good deal??
    Please let me know, thanks.
  • iamwhoamiamwhoam Member Posts: 23
    I too am looking at trading in my 2000JGC for a 2003, but buying. Since I have a five year loan and drive a bunch of miles (I drive it silly), my loan is only $700 less than my Blue Book.

They are offering my $600 off invoice on a Limited HO/V8 (Invoice $35200) loaded with everything but pedals and auto wipers, along with paying my sales tax, all for $590 a month (60mnth loan). Seems like a pretty sweat deal. Is there alot of money back for dealers on 03 jeeps? It seems like a pretty good deal to me. Afraid I'll get really upside down on my loan.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Laredo, they did not have an '03 Limited to drive...the vehicle was nice, I am assuming the Limited would be nicer, but I must try another dealer...when I mentioned this at my local garage, 2 mechanics told me to avoid JGC, as the transmission was junk, they see them all the time...they recommended Toyota or Nissan, saying they rarely need major repairs...when I mentioned this to my brother in Florida, he told me that a local competitor (not Jeep) drives his prospects past the local Jeep dealer, whose service center faces the street, and all you can see up on the lifts are new JGCs needing tranny or some other major repair...the vehicle is nice, but it sure has some reputation, even though my universe was small...should one gamble on this, or move on???
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    There is no doubt the there have been tranny problems on the Grand Cherokees. The problem is determining exactly how bad they are. You have to keep one thing in mind, and that is the number or problems/complaints you see are directly related to some extent by the vast number of grand cherokees that are on the street. For 2002, it looks like they are going to sell about 220,000 units. The Toyota 4-runner is going to sell about 70,000 and the Pathfinder 55,000. Considering that there are three to four times as many sold just this year, obviously there can be three to four times as many problems as the Toyota and Nissan and they would be equally reliable. I don't know if that's the case but it's obviously a factor. There is quite possibly 1.5-2 million Grand Cherokees on the highway so it's reasonable to assume you're going to see some in the service bays and garages getting work done.

The Explorer sells in even larger numbers and I see plenty of comments on how those are junk too. If either of these were worthless, you'd see them stacked up on the highways and the dealerships/garages would literally be overflowing.

I've never personally met a grand cherokee owner that has replaced a tranny. Heard from quite a few here on the net, but of the ten or so folks I know personally, they've had very good luck with them. I only know of one person who had problems with an explorer. One of the ladys I know just recently traded her '97 Explorer that had 220K miles on it. The tranny was starting to slip, but otherwise she had no problems. And that was even after the vehicle was nearly totalled at an early mileage.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    While I have never had a tranmission replaced, I have had to have seals replaced. All it takes is some vigilance on your part as the owner. Be aware of puddles in the garage or driveway. If it leaks take care of it. I do this will ALL my cars, not just my Jeep, including my Honda. It is a lot of times the people who have small issues but never deal with them until they become huge ones.

I figure if I am spending $X on a car, it is in MY best interest to make sure things run the way they are supposed to run. If I don't have an issue taken care of when it is just beginning, then I deserve the headaches I get. I can blame the maker for a bad seal, but I can't blame them for a bad transmission if I fail to get it addressed.

-Paul
  • billwfriendbillwfriend Member Posts: 44
    I've got a 2000 JGC Laredo 4X4 with the basic Selectrac...I'm wondering...even though the manual states it's OK to run in '4WD High' 100% of the time, is it really? I'm wondering if any of you have ever done this? Does it adversly affect MPG or the transfer cases? I'm only wondering cause my front hubs tend to stay locked when I switch from '4WD High' back to '2WD'. I think it's having to go through '4WD Part-time' along the way that's doing it. Thanks!
    billwfriend:

Selec Trac has a tendency to do that. The manual states that you need to give the gas pedal 2 pushes for the gear to fully engage/disengage. I would do that going from Full Time to Part Time and then again from Part Time to 2WD. Even after doing this, it will take a little time to fully disengage. If you happen to be thinking of taking a turn immediately after shifting from Part Time to 2WD, make sure that you do not take any tight turns. This will do a lot of damage to the transfer cases/driveline. And I personally think that you should use Full Time ONLy when needed.
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    My Dad is probably going to buy a new Laredo. With a $2500 rebate plus a $500 veteran incentive he is going to get a really good price when all is said and done.

The question I have is, what is the power, cost and mileage differences between the I6 and V8? Also, how has reliability been the last couple years? Some past model years appear to have been a nightmare. Thanks.
  • okstateokstate Member Posts: 2
    I am just looking for a little advice from all you Jeep experts out there. I am currently leasing a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the lease ends Jan 28, 2003. The buy out price at the end of it is $18,700. My question, is this a pretty fair price for this vehicle or should I turn it in and shop around for something else. This is what I have:
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD (Silver), V8, power everything, cloth seats, 10-disc CD Changer, tow pkg and 33,000 miles.

I have had a few problems with it but nothing major. The only real annoying issue is the pull to the right. If I let my hands off the steering wheel for one sec, I will be in the other lane or on the sidewalk. And no one, including the dealer can fix it. I appreciate any help.

Thank you,
    JK
  • mjb1000mjb1000 Member Posts: 10
    Jeep has 3600 miles on it. I am experiencing vibration when the JGC is in "Drive" and I am stopped at a light. I can feel it thru the seat and steering wheel. Dealer says this is common for this Jeep. Dealer SAYS It has something to do with the fuel mixture the JGC is constantly adjusting. When I put the car in "neutral" the vibration is so very slight.
    Any ideas.

Thanks for the help

MB
  • jdtgoldjdtgold Member Posts: 7
    I own a '99 Grand Cherokee. The only persistent problem is that it keeps eating brake rotors on a consistent basis. I just let the dealer talk me into a fix that involved a "spring caliper system" (whatever that means) and new pads and rotors. Total cost - about $600.00 (it was painful just typing that number). Has anyone else heard of this or had success with this?
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    Check the recent posts on this site. Jeep issued a Technical Service Bulletin covering the brakes. If I were you, I'd ask the service department if you are covered by it.
    Find the TSB yourself and bring it with you.
    I called Chrysler and they told me that my extended warranty states that brake rotors are not covered under the service contract, so it looks like the $600 is coming out of my pocket. I just want to stop replacing rotors every 7,000 - 10,000 miles.
  • officerozofficeroz Member Posts: 25
    My wife used to drive a 95 GC, 5.2 V8,4WD loaded with leather and Up Country pkg. In 65,000 miles of ownership, it went back to the dealer one time for minor repair. First set of brakes came at 52,000 miles and gas mileage was consistant 14city, 18/19 highway. However, after moving to the country, she decided she wanted a car since work was 35miles one way. That was 4 years ago. Now, she wants to get back into an SUV, this time a 2wheel drive, to get better mileage. She really likes the Liberty, but the better deals seem to be on the GC, especially the 6cyl 2wd. She doesn't particularly want the leather this time since our two schnauzers seem to do a number on them, but likes the amenities found on the Liberty Limited much better than the GC Laredo. This seems to be a knowledgable group, so thought I would get your input...
    Thanks.
    officeroz.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I would point out to them that the TSB seems to point to DEFECTIVE rotors/brake system. They should cover under that. If not, you can get a set of after market rotors at your favorite AZ, PB or other discount parts place for about $100. I did that on our 2000 JGC at about 16,000 miles and at 45,000 miles no more issues.

FWIW, the TSB covers replacement of rotors, calipers and pads if I remember correctly.

FRONT BRAKE PULSATION DURING LIGHT TO MODERATE BRAKE APPLICATION
    Date: 5/13/02

Bulletin # 0500302 (supercedes 0500501 Dated Sep 14, 2001)

Model Year(s): 1999-2002 (models built May 11, 2002 and prior)

Description: Brake roughness or pedal pulsation when the brakes are applied. The customer may experience a vibration of the steering wheel, floor, seat, instrument panel, or a minor pedal pulsation (brake roughness) under light to moderate pedal application. The condition may be caused by excessive thickness variation of the brake rotor surface.

Details: This bulletin involves the replacement of both front brake rotors and caliper assemblies.

Parts required:
    52098672 Rotor
    05093174AA Caliper kit (2 calipers, pads and retaining bolts)
    Funny, Toyota had the same problems with early Sequoias. So what did they do? Every vehicle that exibits the problem gets upgraded rotors and calipers with no charge to the customer if still under warranty.
  • iamwhoamiamwhoam Member Posts: 23
    Engines- I had a V8 2000 JGC and now have a 2003 Limited V8 HO and I rented a I6 once for work- For the extra $800 bucks I would definately go with the V8. Much better power, probably better resale- and the mileage is not that different. I actually get over the spec'd numbers that Jeep reports for the V8. How you drive it probably will effect it more than which engine. IMHO

Brakes- When my warranty ran out on my last Jeep and I had to replace the brakes I went with Ray Bestus rotors and pads- why keep putting on rotors you know will warp. I didn't keep the Jeep long enough after changing them to see if they lasted longer.

Seals- What kills seals? How does it affect the transmission?
  • bluesun99bluesun99 Member Posts: 16
    Have you been paying attention to this board lately? Look at the dates between messages and look at the GC year's involved. See any thing on 2001's or '02's? Very, very few. Nothing like on '99's and '00's. Either people are abandoning the board or Jeep's getting even better. Me thinks it's the later. The problems seem to of almost disappeared. Just turned 10000 on my V8 Limited Quadradrive and haven't even had a loose screw. Go Jeep!
  • tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    Gkatz1, you stated, per the Toyota Sequoias:
    "Every vehicle that exhibits the problem gets upgraded rotors and calipers with no charge to the customer if still under warranty".

So what exactly did Toyota do that was out of the ordinary??? "IF" still under warranty you say they will fix the brakes... I would hope so.
  • dlcleavdlcleav Member Posts: 40
    I couldn't agree more. I have just turned 25,000 miles on my '02 Overland which has perfomed flawlessly during this time. I've done nothing to the Jeep except routine oil change and tire rotation. No squeaks, no rattles...just Jeepin!! This Jeep is AWESOME!!
    Brakes are not always covered under warranty as some posters here have found out. In the case of Toyota, they completely replace the rotor and capliper with a larger design to end the problem and not simply replace faulty parts with faulty parts.
  • leo948leo948 Member Posts: 38
    mopar is now making available the intake manifold and camshafts plus other parts to upgrade 'normal' 4.7L v8's. one website i found stated that it would be a straight swap and no new chips were needed. they claimed a 30hp boost over stock. their total for just the intake and cams was $300-400. doing some more research i found that the durango guys have been doing this already with the coporate 4.7L's with good results.

just FYI
  • dlcleavdlcleav Member Posts: 40
    This is likely a dumb question but...Has anyone attempted to install dual exhaust on a JGC? I remember years ago that splitting the intake manifold and running dual exhaust would reduce back pressure and allow for better performance and gas mileage. I know the vehicles today are regulated by computer but was still wondering if there were any benefits from dual exhaust. Would a chip enhancement be necessary? Or, is this a bad idea? Thanks. Dave
  • pjreporterpjreporter Member Posts: 32
    Hi,

I write a weekly auto feature for a major business daily and would like to hear the experiences of JGC drivers. If you own such a vehicle, please email me at LANETEF@YAHOO.COM. Deadline is Feb.5. Thank you
  • dsjeeptidsjeepti Member Posts: 61
    I just got my 2003 Lerado 4.0 Jan. 6, and now have 1000 miles on it. I also noticed the rough idol and vibration. My dealer in Brooklyn, NY said it would smooth out as it "broke in" but my understanding is that this engine is just inherintly rough. I have even noticed that at idol, the otherwise tight "screwed together" feel has led to some rattles and harmonic vibrations in various trim pieces. My other car is a 1997 BMW 318ti w 115,000 miles on it. After getting the Jeep, I was amazed how tight it rode. Now with 1,000 miles, there is definetly some loosening up (I know it's an SUV).
    Also, when warming up, there is a loud ticking noise that goes away after about 10 min. This seems to be due to an emmissions control device. I guess you have to live with this in the 4.0 I6.
    Happy motoring, DS
    What would be the normal oil consumption for a '99 Grand Cherokee with 51,000 miles. The oil level always seemed to stay at the "full" level between oil changes. However, checked today...2,700 miles since last oil change...and I needed to add a quart. Is that normal?
    Is it possible it was short-changed on the last oil change? Usually stuff like this doesn't just pop up, not at this rate. Although 1 quart isn't that bad in many cases but for something to just start losing a quart, somethings fishy. If it's not laying under your truck, I'd start by adding a quart and checking closely for awhile. I've seen dealers/lube places screw-up worse things than this.
    DS Thanks for your response. The JGC does ride well except for that annoying idle in "DRIVE" but you are right it is an SUV. I just hope it doesn't get any worse. I've got about 4800 miles on it and everything is still tight. The ticking sound is there and your explanation was their explanation. You would think it would be covered in some way to protect and silence it.

Ride well. MB
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    When I was at the LA Auto show they indicated that the 2004 was being released in January 2003. It was to have some mild visual changes. Has anyone heard anything about this as I have seen no ads for the early release?
    I think the reason for no cover is the fact it was designed after the engine was developed and would add $ to do it the right way. I am curious if the new 3.7 (slated for the JGC) has the same tapping noise.
    BTW, have you experienced any rough sounds when going in reverse if not fully warmed up? I started to get that today. Also, what's your mpg like. I've averaged 12 in the city and 18 on the highway. I hope this get's better.
    Thanks, DS
    Actually the mileage isn't bad. between city and highway...I haven't been below 18. My "city" might be different than your. Being in Virginia my "city" doesn't have a lot of traffic. No knocking noise in reverse.
    Have you taken it out 4-wheelin yet. I've taken it on sand only on the beaches here and am having a ball. My kids think I am in my second childhood. I'll keep you posted on any problems.
    You know DS the only thing that bothers me is the dealership reps. They make everything sound like it should be normal. As if this is the first car we ever bought.
    Ride Well

MJB
    I would be very happy with 18 mpg. I do believe my city driving is a lot different than yours. Here in NYC, your lucky to go 2 or 3 city streets w/o stopping. Many drivers here do not use there turn signal which I feel accounts for a lot of short stopping, poor mileage, and worn pads and rotors.
    I haven't gone 4-wheelin yet (not many areas in the city to do so), but it sounds fun. I have some property in upstate NY where I plan to have some fun of my own. I still haven't gotten used to having a jeep that can do the things I would never have dreamed of in a BMW.
    As for Jeep dealers, I've luckily had minimal contact so I can't comment yet. But my experience with dealers in general, they all treat people that way, which is sad considering how important post purchase support is.
    BTW, do you have any concerns w sand getting in places it shouldn't or scratching the paint. I have memories of my dad with a pre-AMC Wagoneer going through the dunes in RI beaches (FUN) but regretting it (somewhat) due to the rust holes that eventually devowered that vehicle.
    Take care, DS
  • jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    Yes, they are out. We have had them in our showroom for about 2 weeks now. Minor grill change, round fog lamps, some additional exterior trim on Overland (not seen yet), and a very nice factory GPS system in the dash. All we have gotten so far are Ltd's.
    DS I know exactly what you mean. I grew up in Brooklyn NY. Lived in New York, Long Island etc.
    Definitely not a high mileage area for SUV's

As far as sand no visible damage. Don't go very fast. In fact the speed limit where I go is only 20MPH strictly enforced.
    But up by you the snowfalls and other weather situations are right up your alley for 4WD. Down here our snow turns to ice on the roads very quickly.

Post support is extremely important. I don't care I push their buttons for the right answers even if I know some of them don't have the right answers. The last guy who sat in the car didn't feel the vibration. One good thing though the engine is very smooth. When you open the hood you can attest to this fact.

Good talking with you. Keep in touch
    Ride well

MJB
    Knowledge really is important when going to a mechanic. That's why I visit sites like this to learn as much as I can both before and after the purchase. You would be amazed at the garbage dealers will tell you, many times you believe it. You are right to push their buttons and don't take their word if you know something is not right. After all you live with the vehicle, they ride it for just a few minutes.
    Happy Motoring, DS
    DS I do the same thing. There are many knowledgeable people out there experiencing similar & dissimilar problems with JGC's. It keeps me aware and puts me on guard. I usually try to check this board once or twice a week. This is not paranoia but I like to keep things new and running. I am happy to report that no new problems have surfaced on this 2003 JGC. This may or may not be my last Jeep. It depends on the post support.

Ride well
    MJB
  • bitjokeybitjokey Member Posts: 5
    I guess they are out. I just saw an add on 405 (in SoCal) says this morning, some dealer has '04 JGCs.
    I finally got to test the 4 wheel drive capabilities of my JGC. With over 18" of snow (drifts over 24") on the ground and many streets in Brooklyn not plowed, I found myself in a position to test my skills and the vehicle. My mom's furnace went out and she had no hot water or heat (a frozen pipe was to blame). I packed up a shovel and 2 space heaters and off I went. I found that Part time 4 wheel drive worked the best. Full time seemed to cause more slipping. Is there an indicator light for Full Time with Selec Trac? Part Time lit up, but not full time. I only got stuck once when I tried to get into her unplowed driveway with about 2 feet of snow (The law of physics DO apply). I noticed that only the right 2 wheels spin when grip is lost (surprising in a Jeep). A happy ending to a long day was that I got moms heat back up and "saved the day" thanks to the Jeep. It's also fun driving in the white stuff.
    Safe Driving, DS
    Shouldn't get a light on full-time. Part-time will work better when the roads are slippery. Full-time is good when the roads are slippery/dry (slushy type stuff).

You will only get two tires to spin (one front-one rear) with the selec-trac system. There was also an option for a limited slip in the rear, which would get both rears and one front to spin.

IMHO, the Selec-trac with a rear limited slip is the best system. This type of system is quite common on many vehicles.
    DS: Good to hear that you finally used your 4WD. The light is only on in part time drive as sebring 95 says. Went to San Die go last week and could have used my Jeep there as it rained 4 days in a row..about 2-3 inches in all I think. Wrote Chrysler about my problem they said they were sorry and I should see another dealer. Strange but I will for my 6000 mile oil change. Other than that little vibe in drive all is still ok with JGC.

Ride well
    MJB
    sebring95 and MJB for the info. Sounds like I should have gotten the limited slip in the rear. Can this be added?

MJB, what problem did you write Chrysler about? Did I miss something or is my mind frozen from all the snow (it did finally stop today).

I noticed today that my window washer doesn't seem to spray (never tried it until this afternoon). The window was clear and free of ice.
    Also noticed in full time 4x4, vehicle definetly pulls to right, strange.

Still having fun in the snow,
    DS
    DS I have a constant vibration through the steering wheel and seat when the Jeep is in the Drive position and I am at a stop sign or a light.
    Dealer told me it was the "drive train mechanism"
    Also he said it was an added benefit to have a vibration in the Jeep. A joke I did not want to hear. But like I said before no other problems at 5000 miles

MJB
    You can pretty much add anything you want to jeeps, the modifications are about endless. I wouldn't go that far though considering all the more snow you get. What you have will work fine 95% of the time, and you'll be able to manage the rest of the time. The limited-slip helps but it's still not going to help you defy physics too much.
    MJB I remember now your problem with vibrations in drive and when stopped. I experience that too, not as much through the seat. I guess I am used to it now and only notice it after driving the BMW. I'm at 1400 miles now and the engine is a little smoother. For them to say it's a good thing would drive me to write a letter too!! I will likely take up the washer issue and possible alignment correction when I go in for my first Free oil change (dealer comp) at 3,000 miles.

Sebring, considering I'm leasing this Jeep (1st Jeep and 1st time leasing), I'll take your advice and make do with what came with the vehicle. I also have an 89 Bronco 5.8L, manual hubs that I keep at my barn in upstate NY. I use it as a work truck and it handles well for its size in the dry, but in mud and snow, it does spin those 2 right tires. It just surprised me that the modern, refined, almost car like ride of the Jeep exhibited the same trait. If I go Jeep again, I'm thinking 8 cyl. with Quad Drive for smooth, vibration free 4x4ing (if my budget allows of course). The next 37 months should help confirm these thoughts.

Thanks again, DS
    I have a silly question to through out here. Does anyone know if a 2003 JGC Lerado has a place to hold coins? All of my previous vehicles had a coin holder of some sort and I find it odd that there appears to be none. Flipping through the owners manual was no help. When I first got the vehicle, I had noticed some spaces in the center console bin, but soon discovered the cut outs don't hold coins, but appear to be finger(?) grooves.
    If there isn't a standard holder, is there a Jeep access. available. I'm not a fan of after market "stick-ons". I frequent parking meters where I live and it's getting frustrating to dig for change.
    Looking for change, DS
    Look carefully in the three groves in the center console bin - they hold 5, 10 and 25 cent coins. I couldn't figure it our myself - my friend enlightened me. I have a '02 V8 and it has the same tapping noise that you guys were talking about. It is infrequent but when it happens it is really loud.

For those interested in limites slip, my dealer tells me it is $1030 plus installation and will void my warranty. I live in the UP of Michigan and it snows quite a lot here. The car handles well in Full Time and better in Part Time, but factory installed limited slips would have helped.
  • janzjanz Member Posts: 129
    I have what look like coin holders in the console of my 1999 Laredo, but they're useless.