Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• dsjeeptidsjeepti Member Posts: 61
    I tried repeatedly to "force" coins into those grooves and the result was a few angled ones that were very difficult to remove. I figured at that point that the grooves were for fingers to get CD's or whatever, out of the bin. When I searched in the manual and there was no mention of a coin holder, I was stunned and stumped.

As for an ash tray, I wish I had one of those too. Not that I smoke, but I like it for gum wrappers, the occasional unfinished lolly pop (kids), or YES emergency coins! The only problem is my Jeep did not come with one, part of a smokers package I believe. I have the obligatory dummy plug in place of a lighter/power plug and an open tray in place of the ash tray (too open and large for coins). One of the cost cuts for 2003?

I may just "challenge" my dealer to figure this one out when I bring the car in for it's first oil change. I'll be sure to bring a roll of quarters :)
    Take care, DS
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    You dealer can get the "smokers package" for you, it's a whopping $20. The ashtray piece will fit in the "open tray" and you can do as you like with the cig lighter.
    I will take a look at that option, but I'm still not satisfied with the coin dilemma. If those grooves are for coins as mentioned in other posts, then a proper solution should be offered by the dealer.
    BTW, I like the idea of a lighter anyway. There were many occasions I have used one to help light my wood stove in my barn upstate. They are not just for smokers.
    Thanks, DS
    What type of coin holder are you looking for? I've had a few vehicles with those spring-loaded coin-holders and I always throw the change right into the ashtray. Takes too long to load up the holders IMHO.

I've had a couple cars with nice fold-out crushed-velvet lined holders (I assume they were intended to hold coins) and that was cool. Haven't seen that on any newer vehicles lately. They were always in inconvenient locations for the most part and I couldn't see inside to find the right coins anyway.

I'd assume we get rid of everything besides quarters anyway. Not the right forum for that rant....
    Crushed-velvet lined holder, now that would be cool. Can't say I've seen any either. I like the spring-loaded variety. In my BMW, it's built into the center console, near the auto shifter. Never a problem getting coins out (I do only use the quarters in case you were wondering:)
    My '89 Bronco has a little cut out on drivers side below the dash. I assumed it was meant for coins. Come to think of it, I believe it's velvet-lined too!
    I took another look today at the Jeep's center bin and I can't see how anyone can make a coin fit there. But it IS the most obvious place to put the holder. Redesign?
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    I've got an '02 Limited, and I have no problem with the coin holders in the console. The coins fit in, but they slope down towards the back of the Jeep. It's too much trouble to put the coins in unless I'm stuck in traffic, so I normally just throw coins into the (c)ashtray and then sort them later when I have the time.
    The grooves in the console are not quite round. It looks to me like they were circles that where pressed in, leaving a kind of flat side in the back of the groove (like looking at your right thumb, from the tip). As far as I know, US coins are round. I've heard some people here say their holders are OK if not inconvenient. This leads me to believe mine may be defective. Next time at the dealer I will also check some of he show room models to see how they work.

Thanks for everyone's input, DS
  • boston135boston135 Member Posts: 3
    I took out a 2002 JGC out for a test drive with 17,000 miles after a few minutes I could hear a ticking noise coming from the drivers side. I liked the Jeep but was concerned with the ticking noise. I put a $1000 down contigent on finding out what the noise is. I called prior to picking up the Jeep and was told that it was a common noise with the Jeep and it was the cylinoud(sp?) that the ticking was coming from and that there was nothing wrong with the car. I took it out for a test drive again and it did not do it at first but appeared to make the noise when slowing down or coming to a stop. The dealership said they is foam they could wrap around it to minimize the noise. Basically, they will not refund my deposit since I agreed to purchase the car and there is nothing mechanically wrong with it. The dealership said this was more common in cold weather...I am test driving it in cold New England. Has anyone heard of this before?? I do a lot of driving and I don't want to have any problems

Thanks for your help
    Check out previous posts both on this board and the problems board. It's likely a normal sound in the engine area.
    If not comfortable, have it checked at an independant mechanic. Any reputable dealer should let you do this. Also if it is something more serious, get the dealer to agree on warentee coverage.
    Good luck, DS
  • bmb1373bmb1373 Member Posts: 8
    I have a '02 JGC with 10k miles on it and I notice the same ticking noise from under the hood on the drivers side. I only hear it when the vehicle is running in the garage. On the road, I hear nothing. I've yet to even try and bring it in. I'm like your dealer and thought it was the cold.
     And don't you just hate it whe you hit "enter" instead of "tab" key. I hope they remove my blank message reply.
  • jimlyon1jimlyon1 Member Posts: 7
    I have the ticking also. I understand it comes from the fuel tank canister purge valve solenoid
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can delete your own messages at any time with the "Delete" button next to your message title.

In your case, you could also have hit the "Edit" button and filled in the blanks. But the Edit button only works for 30 minutes after you make a post.

Hope this helps!

Steve, Host
    My coin holders are "squashed" too. Give this a try--with the coin holders empty (which you probably already have), hold the coin straight up and down (like this: | ) and drop it into the slot at the widest part. When it hits bottom, it will NOT be flat. The edge of the quarter at the front of the coin holder will be higher than the edge at the back of the coin holder. Or, when viewed from the side--if you could--the coin would look like this: \
    I will try this tomorrow AM. Thanks for the advice:)
  • derf1716derf1716 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 used JGC with 24500 miles on it. Engine and body look in great shape. The only thing i notice is that the engine sounds louder then i thought it would when i accelerate. Does this sound normal?
  • boston135boston135 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all your help. I also had confirmed with a couple of other dealerships that this was common. I picked up the car but the whole experience was a bad one. Halfway signing the paperwork they realized it was not a certified used Jeep. This was the second time I drove up to get the car(2 hours away). Dealership said the price I paid did not include the certification. I paid $20,900 for the E package with a moon roof and 17K miles. Dealership willing to split cost of certfication ...I pay $600.00.. and to make things worse when I start the Jeep it appears to not to want to turn over but does start. Anyone have any suggestions? Five star dealership..I don't think so.
    I am not easy with any dealership that tries to "play" around, especially knowing you drove 2 hours to get there. If your deal was written with the understanding it WAS certified, then they either certify it free of charge or there is no deal. As for your $1000 down, if it was a check or credit card (only down I recommend), then you would have had additional recourse to get your money back, if you chose to walk. Don't let them bully you. You shouldn't have to pay anything additional. You probably also got an end of the month deal that would make a lot of people at the dealership unhappy if didn't go through. That gives you an even bigger edge to negotiate:)
    Good Luck and stand strong, DS
    I finally tried your advice in dropping coins in the holder the way you explained and IT WORKS! I don't think you can load too many due to the sharp angle, but it IS better than nothing. Thank you again for the directions. You are going to make many a parking meter happy :)
    You are quite welcome. I usually end up dumping any change into the (c)ashtray, and then sorting it into the coin holders it at long lights or in traffic jams. Too bad they made that an option on the '03s.

Good luck avoiding those ravenous meter checkers!
  • mdjeepmanmdjeepman Member Posts: 21
    I find the coin holder in the center console of my 99 JGC to be a bit cumbersome to load and unload, but still do-able. I usually keep quarters in there, but nothing else. Also, you can't fill it up as high as you think you might be able to, because when you hit a bump in the road they will spill out and drop to the bottom of the console. I usually keep my change in the open tray in front of the gear shift, and just store a few quarters in the holder.
    My 2003 JGC Laredo with I6 just rolled over 2,000 miles. The engine seems to run smoother (except of course at idle), but oddly my gas mileage has gotten worse. I am now avg. between 10 and 11 mpg in 3/4 city, 1/4 highway. Anyone having similar mileage issues. With gas @ 1.79 reg. and 1.95 premium, I'm not about to go the higher road. Just wondering if this is weather related, age related typical of this engine or possibly a problem.
  • mjb1000mjb1000 Member Posts: 10
    Hi DS

As far as the mileage I am getting 18.5 avg. Don't know why your's is that low. But you did have severe weather up there for a long time.
    As far as the other...like I said before the engine is smooth when the JGC is moving but when I come to a stop and I am Drive I feel a vibration through the steering wheel and seat (annoying) Dealer says it is a design flaw..I will see another dealer. If I put the JGC in neutral the vibration disappears...Can the Drive train have this much vibe.

Ride well
    Mike
    Nice hearing from you again:)
    I still am amazed at your mpg's. I spoke to a friend recently who has a '00 w the 8 cyl. and he gets around 13 - 15 in the city, which is why I was a bit concerned.
    BTW, my honey is now driving the Jeep and prefers it to the BMW! Of course she doesn't drive on the highway much (or alone). The kids love making fun of her when she drives, mainly because it's rare. To be fare, I am overly cautious w anyone driving a new vehicle. I think it's also her size 4'11'', 90 lbs. She sits nice and high in the Jeep and thinks it rides just fine. I'm looking forward to those long upstate trips where we can eventually switch off and maybe I can enjoy the views too, for a change :)
    Take care, DS
  • mjb1000mjb1000 Member Posts: 10
    Ds

With a lighter foot the gas mileage may be better. DS we are put on earth to make our wives happy. Case closed. My wife prefers to be low. Her S70 is just too low for me. I like seeing over the cars in front. My explorer was a bit higher than the JGC but the styling is better on the Jeep and its a toy for sand 4x4ing. My boys think I am crazy too.

No additional problems to report after 6200 miles. I'll keep you posted.
  • jbriesejbriese Member Posts: 4
    Need a little advice from group, looking a the JGC, and can't decide on the engine, they both feel good on power, the v8 did feel just a bit more powerful. I will using this for weekend camping with a popup camper. But the gas milage of 1 mile per gallon concern's me with todays gas prices. But I was also thinking the 6 cylinder may have to work harder during pulling time's and get worse. Whats your take?
  • ronc5ronc5 Member Posts: 7
    Hi All,
    Have an 01 with the 4.7 engine. Noticed after changing the oil and filter myself (6 qts) that the dip stick reads about a quart overfull (after engine has been run.) Is this a common thing, or is my stick wrong? I have 10,000 miles on it and have never looked at the dip stick. Just change oil and filter every 3000 miles.
    I would get the V8. It seems real-world mileage is really not that different and the V8 will pull the pop-up easier. The I6 is adequate but that's about it. It also tends to idle rougher, be a bit louder, etc.

My inlaws have had two V8 Grand Cherokees which I drive regularly and they get about the same mpg as my Cherokee (smaller) with the same I6 that comes in the Grand. I've pulled about 3,000# with both my I6 Cherokee and their V8 Grand and the Grand with V8 is much better.
    I would have to agree w sebring in that the V8 would be the wiser choice. I have the I6 and while it is OK, there are times I wish I had the 8. I'm not pulling a trailer but I do travel on mountain roads every so often and the extra power would be appreciated. Also, the V8 does idol much more smoothly and the mileage difference is minimal. I think you'll ultimately be happier w the the 8.
    Take Care, DS
  • janzjanz Member Posts: 129
    and will never do it again. But a pop-up would probably be a much different experience as it has a lower profile.

It was our experience that our full height trailer, swayed way too much for comfort when we caught the draft from a passing semi on the freeway. Our JGC always has had some side-to-side sway in the ride. This was grossly exaggerated when towing our trailer. The V8 certainly has enough power and our JGC also has transmission cooler. Per our towing experience, I'd say always get just a little more engine than you think you'll need. You'll never regret having the extra power.

I don't know for sure about the mileage, but it can't be that different. I just think you might not be all that happy with the performance of the I6. I know someone who got rid of their '97 with an I6 because they felt it didn't have enough power to pull their BOAT.
  • jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    Please don't forget...have your salesperson Job Rate the Jeep for you (even with the 4.7). Important factors such as payload creep into the picture then. Any good salesperson at a Jeep dealership should be able to help...all the necessary tools are provided by DC in the yearly product manuals. Be careful.
  • jbriesejbriese Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the input, I did go with the v8, traded in a Durango , this is smaller in size but so far it is great, already up to 17 mpg average(wo-ho), have not seen that number that high within the last 3 years with the D. I will see how it goes.

thanks again.
    on your Jeep decision. I think you'll be happy with the GC, especially with the V8. I would love to hear your experiences with the Jeep as compared to the Durango. I considered the D at one point, but was put off by its styling and value overall.
    Good luck, DS
  • savage7savage7 Member Posts: 10
    My 99 JGC left turn signal quit working, then it would work intermittently. I was fiddling around with the emergency blinker while the left turn signal was in the "on" position and when I s-l-o-w-l-y pushed the emergency blinkers on and then to the off position, the left blinker would start blinking. It won't do it now, and the blinker does not work either, however the right blinker works fine. I got a junked turn signal assembly and installed it, but that did not help either. Any suggestions?
  • jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    there is a large "fuse" that controls blinker operation. check that. in my Durango it is in a panel hidden by the driver's door.
  • suvinlasuvinla Member Posts: 24
    I'm close to being sold on a Grand Cherokee.

What do you recommend, as to year, options, place of purchase, etc.?

- I'm looking for a '96-'98 automatic.

- Will most likely get from a private owner, but would consider buying from a Jeep dealer if there are major benefits (though the cost will be more).

- Prefer a decked-out model with a really nice interior. Love black/black, leather, tinted. Woodgrain would be nice but not mandatory of course.

- V8 and at least optional 4-wheel-drive. (Don't intend to go offroad really, nor tow... but would like to know I could, or could cope with a snowstorm.)

- Don't want a ridiculous lift, but if there's an option that gives the ZJ a higher ride while still looking normal, would definitely consider it - especially if it was something one would reasonably be able to find in a used vehicle already.

Specific questions:

- Did the body or interior style change much in these three years?

- What about repair issues - any year better than another on that count?

- What mileage level would you go for? (Besides 'as low as possible.') Is there a certain place where repairs generally start being a bigger deal? By the way, how much mileage are you all getting as to the ZJ's realistic life if cared for?

- Favorite style packages?

- Any favored buying places in Southern California?

Thanks!
  • mustangman3mustangman3 Member Posts: 10
    My brother has an 1997 JGC Larado. It has 50,000 miles on it. When he turns on the heater over the last few weeks, there is a strong stagnet odor through all heat settings (defrost, vent, and floor. His A/C needs a charge, so he does not know if the odor is present with the A/C on. Any suggestions? He would perfer not to take it to the dealer if there is a simple fix. Not using the heat is not an option.

Thanks.
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    Did you check the front and tailight bulbs?
  • maw555maw555 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the process of buying a 2000GC Laredo with 88,000km on it. I will be using it for a daily rural commute (150KM return daily). With 2 5yr olds a big dog and a mother in law who live nearby and doesn't drive I really liked the size and features. Any input on what I could expect on repairs over the next 12-24 months and gas mileage would be very much appreciated. I live in Ontario and as such have winter conditions to deal with.
    Thanks Mike
    Yup, checked the bulbs, fuses, flasher, wiggled the wire connections, etc. gjlackin brought up a good point ... I'll look and see if my Jeep has the same "fuse" that controls blinker operation and I'll omn it out next. Just wondering if this is a recurring problem with the 99 JGC's or what.

On the other post by mustangman3 regarding the odor, my guess is his drain is plugged thus leaving stagnant water inside the heater box or wherever water condensates from the A/C or defroster. Look and see how much water drips under the car when you have the A/C on. If you don't see much dripping action, look at the drain for a clog.
    Mike -- see messages 1632,33,34 for some insight into gas mileage. Is yours a v-8 or 6-cylinder? My 6 gets 15 to 20 MPG around town.

Ask for a service history and/or Car Fax Report on the vehicle, also, is it a one owner, two, three, rental, etc. Some of the Jeep issues I've read about include brake rotors warping, 4x4 transmissions not shifting smoothly, and under powered electric windows.

Ask the current owner how many times it's been in the shop and for what? Has it been dependable or in the shop often. What needs work now or what does not work now? These straight forward questions can sometimes reveal great insights to the cars dependability, history and how well the previous owner took care of the car. Also, if you can, drive the car for a weekend and "get to know" the car. Good luck!
  • rainmaggrainmagg Member Posts: 1
    I am wondering if anyone here has installed a 3rd row seat in their Jeep.
    Please let me know.

Thanks
    Gina
    raini23@hotmail.com
  • janzjanz Member Posts: 129
    With all due respect, You've got to be kidding! There would be NO legroom and very uncomfortable unless it were children sitting there and in that case, safety would be my even bigger concern.

WARPED ROTORs--In my experience after just having my rotors replaced for the 2nd time. The local dealership described to me that brake rotor warping problem has been traced to faulty calipers. (This is consistent with TSB info I'd read here.) I just had the calipers, rotors and brake pads replaced on my '99 with 34K for a $50 co-pay backed by DC. Seems the calipers were not retracting far enough and dragging on the rotors causing them to heat up and warp. Until the faulty calipers are replaced, the rotors will continue to warp. I haven't driven enough yet to see if this has truly fixed the problem, but I am confident. I have had NO other mechanical problems with my V8 with Quadra Drive.
  • jaffyjaffy Member Posts: 1
    Your brother may want to call the dealership. I have a '96 JGC and recall that there was a problem with the air conditioner a few years ago. I took it in to the dealer and I think this was a recall item that they fixed for free. I would call first to see what they say.
  • supershootersupershooter Member Posts: 2
    hello,
      I purchased a 1995 jgc laredo two weeks ago and it is in great condition. I found a repo paper in the glove box and called the former owner. He said the vehicle would just cut off while driving. I hadn't had this problem untill last night. I was driving along at 30-40 mph and it just quit for about 15 seconds. Then it just started again. The tach went down when it quit and no idiot lights came on during the time frame.
      I'm no mechanic, and am just trying to figure out what it could be. It has the I6 engine and 2wd. Could it be electrical, or fuel pump? Any help would be appreciated. It has only done this once so far, but has me worried..
     Thanks,
    Ken
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I had a similar problem in a Pontiac I used to own. Had to have the computer controller for the car replaced. After that - never a problem. If I knew now what I knew then I could have swapped out the piece in 5 minutes. You may want to check out a car repair manual for your Jeep and see where it is located. You may be able to do something like that down the road. But have your dealer check the computer fault codes.

I had this happen in Dallas on 635 at about 8:30. It's not fun losing power steering, brakes, and engine power at highway speeds on LBJ.

-Paul
  • gator38gator38 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 02' JGC that may have a problem with the emergency brake. I have driven off on several occasions with the break fully pulled up. It seems that there was no resistance to stop me from driving compared to other vehicles that I own. My wife took it by the dealer and they told her that this was normal. Should the emergency brake stop you from driving off if it's accuated? Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    The parking brake won't typically keep a vehicle from driving away. It's simply to hold the vehicle from rolling off. You can usually feel them dragging, but they aren't designed to overpower the engine. That's why they aren't called emergency brakes anymore.

Many vehicles today have a completely seperate set of wafer thin brake pads on the rear rotors used to hold the vehicle. Completely mechanical system. Has advantages/disadvantages.
  • 98jettavr698jettavr6 Member Posts: 47
    Gator: I've had the same problem, so much so that I do not use the emergency brake anymore. The last time I realized I had it up, I was doing 80 mph on the freeway. I'm used to having some type of indicator light on the instrument cluster to remind me it is up.
  • jgc1994jgc1994 Member Posts: 2
    I have a JGC Laredo 94. It's got a 90k miles. I recently changed the spark plugs etc. But I can't see where I adjust the timing. Is that all electronic?

Second question: how easy is it to replace the serpentine belt? Looks easy, but it may have a hidden gotcha.

Thanks.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Just bought this with 21,000 miles. Very pleased with it except for the axle whine. Seems some time ago I read about this on one of the boards. What is the "fix" for this? Is there a TSB? Still in warranty HELP!