Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    Wow, didn't your grammar school teachers teach you about generalizations. Maybe you should post your comments in the 'Any Questions for a Car Dealer?' discussion. I think you'd find lots of us who don't fit into your 'dishonesty' scenario.
  • volvossuckvolvossuck Member Posts: 11
    Just a few thoughts

1. TO tidester:

Um...if I'm talking to myself, how come tidester knows what I'm saying?

2. To jglackin:

My Grammer school teacher did teach me about generalizations: ie: "a proposition asserting something to be true either of all members of a certain class or of an indefinite part of that class"

The general population of the United States of America consistently ranks the occupation of "Auto Salesman" as the job that is held in the lowest esteem of all jobs in the USA! AND that "Auto Salesman" occupation is the most distrusted in the USA!

I do think that allows me to make a "generalization" about "auto salesman".

That is not to say that there are not some fine, honest, upstanding "auto salesman". If you fit into that catagory, you should be proud of yourself and my remarks were not aimed specifically at you. However I have never, ever met an "auto salesman" in your catagory!

Merry christmas.
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    I wonder if your dealer gave you incorrect info. The Liberty has to be smaller than the GC. Just looking at them side by side shows the size difference.

I think the reason the GC doesn't have a greater advantage in cargo capacity is due to the very high load floor in the back. I'm guessing they did this to move the spare tire up to increase departure angle. Personally I would have liked to see them split the difference.

I could understand having problems fitting in the GC at 6'4". I can just get my seat back far enough on my '98 and I'm only 6'0". I know this is a different vehicle than the '05 GC but I'm guessing they're reasonably comparable. I have never had an issue with headroom on my '98 and have never been in the back seat so that's a non-issue for me in regards to rear seat legroom. I have been in an '04 Liberty and it just "feels" significantly smaller (mostly in width) than the GCs do.

So why would I pay $10 more for a GC? A couple of reasons. I believe the GC is better for off roading (I also live in CO and do quite a bit). I want the power for towing at high altitude and (forgive me) the Liberty is just too much of a "chick car" to me. I really don't mean to offend anyone with the last comment but the Liberty falls into the "cute ute" category where the GC is more of a true off road SUV.

The X5 is a very nice truck. My wife just bought a 325xi so we obviously appreciate BMWs. It's just way too expensive and doesn't have as much power as the GC. I believe the GC is a better value. Even if I could afford an X5, I still think I'd go with the GC for the additional power and off roading prowess.

The X5 (base 3.0) climbs above $50,000 very quickly without as many features as the GC and if you opt for the bigger engines, you're looking at $70k (yikes!). I just can't afford that. I could get a pretty much loaded GC for $36-37. That's a pretty big difference.

Enjoy your Liberty. It's still a nice truck; just not what I need. It's pretty easy for potential consumers to sit in both the Liberty and a GC back to back and decide for themselves which works best for them. It would be a boring world if everyone liked the same vehicle........
    I just saw my first '05 on the road yesterday (what can I say, I live in a small town).

It was white. This is quite possibly the worst color you could have on the new GC. The way the back slants forward just looks awful in white.

The only other color I've see is silver which is OK but still not great.

Why can't they bring back a bright red?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    that I test drove at Camp Jeep and it looked quite sharp in that. My personal fav color for Jeeps is Patriot Blue.

-Paul
  • transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    I like the Light Khaki best, but the Inferno Red is nice (if you can see yourself in a red Jeep). I usually like white on vehicles, but I don't know if it's appropriate for a Jeep. Gray or silver is just too common, IMHO.
    I need to see some more GCs in other colors. I would think that the Light Khaki would be a nice choice. The Patriot Blue is a little too dark for me.

I have the Light Driftwood on my '98 which I like. It turns almost gold when the light hits it right. The Jeep website just doesn't do the whole color thing justice. You really need to see them in person.

I guess I can always wait and see what they'll come up with for '06 since it will be another year at least before I'm in the market.
  • foresterguy1foresterguy1 Member Posts: 5
    The 2005 Jeep GC 4x4 in the V8 has GVW of 6100 lbs. Tax law says if GVW is 6000 lbs or more you can write off cost in one year to %25,000 plus for 2004 tax 1/2 of the cost above $25K. I am a forester and Realtor and for me that takes about $8000 of the price! I just got a 05 Laredo white leather, v8, sticker 34+ for $28k+ with write off that makes it about 20K. The 2005 GC was the only mid size SUV that has the GVW that I could find.
  • foresterguy1foresterguy1 Member Posts: 5
    PS , love the Jeep!
  • abalaskoabalasko Member Posts: 7
    I went to the Cleveland Auto show this weekend with the Grand Cherokee #1 on my list of SUVs to buy. I liked the looks and price/value compared to others. I was really looking forward to checking it out in person.

I was sorely disappointed. I'm 5'10" and my head touches the roof in the front seat. The interior just felt very crammed in. I had to take it off my list.

I still can't believe how small it is inside.

From there, I checked out other vehicles. Favorite SUV for size/style is the Volvo XC90. It is the best SUV I saw. It is pricey though.

Nothing out there in the low 30s I like. Back to square 1........
  • dc325ixdc325ix Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 grand cherokee limited- with all wheel drive- the question I have is why does it take so long for the "4 wheel drive to kick in" I mean on my wrangler which was rear wheel drive when i put it into 4 wheel the traction in the snow was amazing- with the limited I slide the back end all the time in the snow and it bugs me- especially when i see Jeep touted as the go anywhere etc vehicle - and it appears it cant hold its own in the snow.
    Your Wrangler, like mine, is a mechanical lockup. When putting it in 4hi or 4lo, you have to pull that t-case lever.

On the grand, the AWD is engaged by some slipping. When slip is 'deteted' the plates mesh and awd is now in gear.

If you drop your Grand into the 4lo, you'll see the same thing you would on the Wrangler.

Kinda sucks, but it DOES do the job.

-Paul
  • dc325ixdc325ix Member Posts: 4
    thanks- but wouldnt driving around my grand cherokee limited in 4lo on snow covered asphalt/ slippery roads driving around town wouldnt that put alot of wear and tear on the 4wd system and perhaps burn it out?-I understand the concept of AWD I guess I thought it would act more like my audi quattro which drives like it is on rails in the snow.
    is no problem for 4Lo.. the asphalt and wet roads, yes.

Audi's system is more proactive and more even distributed. Jeep's Quadra Drive is more reactive. I've only ever had to use 4lo in the snow to get out of my driveway (uphill climb w/o cement). Once on the road, the AWD worked just fine. Keep in mind, you can't fly along cuz you still have to worry about stopping. Once moving though, QD is awesome!

-Paul
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I don't think I would rule the Grand Cherokee out based only on one at an Auto show. Perhaps the person who drove the car last was short and put the seat all the way up before disconnecting the battery, so it would be too high for you. My 6 foot husband didn't have a problem driving one at Camp Jeep.

I ruled out the Subaru Outback based on sitting in one at the LA Auto Show several years ago. My problem is that I'm short and sometimes have trouble seeing over the dash, and the one at the auto show was terrible for me (and all the way back). Later I test drove one and didn't have any problems at all, once I had adjusted the seat correctly.

On the other hand, if you thought the whole interior felt cramped, then it sounds like the Grand Cherokee isn't for you. I still would love to have one - maybe sometime I'll get one (sigh).
  • jzuaiterjzuaiter Member Posts: 1
    I have hear some other systems have played dvd movies in the navigation system.

Anyone tried this.? I have a 2005 JGC limited.
    with navigation, but have not tried it yet.

I don't think it will work, but thought I would pose it to forum.
    thanks.
    jz
  • tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    The nav unit in the new GC will NOT play DVD movies. Also the unit will not be damaged by "trying" to put a movie or other disc in it, it will just give a display error and eject the disc.
  • dlcleavksdlcleavks Member Posts: 20
    I have test driven the '05 Grand Limited and find it much roomier than my current '02 Grand Overland. I'm a 6'4 wide body that appreciates as much "real estate" I can get in any car. While I find the '02 Grand a bit short in the front seat for my legs, the '05 has a few more inches for tall folks.

Re: driving in snow/ice: I have the QD with the NV247 and have had no problems on any surface condition. I belong to a local Jeep club where my Grand has been subjected to creeks, mud, snow, rocks and ice. The QD will go where most "locked" Jeeps can go except for those hardcore jeepers.

I recently removed a 4" lift kit and larger tires from the Grand replacing with stock components for the remainder of my ownership. The Grand was an awesome sight and delivered expected results sitting almost 6" higher than stock and able to clear most objects below.

I also have 114K miles on my Grand. I drive it everyday and everywhere, it's serviced on a regular basis and I will purchase another Grand when I must retire my "Jeepo".
  • hemiwayhemiway Member Posts: 3
    I echo some of the other remarks made on the O5 GC as far as driver seat leg/head room. I own one no body that has driven or ridden in the front seats has complained about lack of room. The one you sat in just had the seat too high. The 05 GC is at least 1" wider than previous years which is what my wife and I noticed compared to the 04 we looked a year ago. I have the Hemi which you can't get with sticker of less than $38K but if you are looking for one in the the low 30s, you can get a Laredo with the 4.7L V8 and leather with a sticker in that range. If you prefer cloth seats, one of my coworkers just bought one for $28K with the 4.7L V8.
  • abalaskoabalasko Member Posts: 7
    I did go to a dealer and sit in one without a sun roof and it is much better for head room. Seat didn't move down much at all. The dealer seemed intent on not showing me one with a sun roof.

At this point I am resigned to spending mid/high 30's on something else that is a bit bigger overall though.

I still like the 05 Grand Cherokee look. I wish the bigger Commander was out already, but maybe I'll wait until the fall......
  • kliggkligg Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1994 JGC.....and I seem to have to same problem. Did anyone gave you the answer to your question about exactly how to fix the problem?
    There seems to be a lot of misconceptions on the interior dimensions between the 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees and the new 2005 model.

Front headroom is exactly the same in both generations of vehicles, 39.7".

Rear headroom in the 2005 model is .20" less than before (- approx. 3/16").

Front shoulder room is improved by .20".

Front hip room is improved by about 1", 57.6" vs 56.5

Cargo volume has been reduced, from 72.3" to 67.40".

So overall, the new interior is pretty much equal or less on the new 2005 model.
  • salamonsalamon Member Posts: 6
    How do the leather seats feel after a couple of hours behind the wheel. We test drove a limited and the seats felt decent for the short time we were in it but we frequently do trips of 3-4 hours so I was hoping someone could share their experience.
  • aljoelaljoel Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Noticed that the newly designed front fascia moulding (with circular fog light holes) leaves the lower end of the radiator hanging out and totally exposed to road (and off road) debris, stones etc. My radoiator is already dented up from such exposure. To me, it's a stupid change and does nothing to enhance the sleek look of the front end. seems like purley a cost saving device.

Since all Grand Cherokee models from 1999-2004 are bascially same body, wondered if anyone knows if the fascia can be economically swtiched back to the earlier 03 design which protects the radiator and has a better uniform fascia grille moulding?
    Thanks,
    Aljoel
  • janzjanz Member Posts: 129
    I'd swear that the windshield has steeper pitch. Maybe it's an optical illusion. That the head room FEELS shorter.
  • hemiwayhemiway Member Posts: 3
    I routinely drive my 05 GC 100 miles between Chicago and Milwaukee, staying behind the wheel 2 hours at a time. The seats are very comfortable for that length of time so I don't think you will have any problems. I have adjustable break and gas pedals which also help with seat postioning. The seats are firmer than with previous models but not as hard as what I found in my old 01 Acura MDX or in the Infinity FX.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The Commander shares many underbody components with the five-passenger Grand Cherokee from which it was derived, as well as some common sheet metal and styling cues."

Jeep Commander Debuts Next Week in New York (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • davidb1davidb1 Member Posts: 2
    I currently have about 1600 miles on my new fully loaded JGC limited with 5.7 hemi. So far I have averaged 14.2 mgg with about 81% interstate at 70 mph. My best tank is 14.75 mpg while my worst is 13.45 mpg. The trip computer has either been spot on or measures a little low. For 117 K in my 2000 Toyota Tundra V8 4x4 I averaged 16.2 and I averaged 15.0 in my 95 Dodge Ram with 318 V8 before that. I was hoping to average a little better in the much smaller Jeep, but not so far. I am curious how others are doing compared to the EPA ratings. I wouldn't be quite so disappointed if the gas tank was another 5 gallons bigger, but I really dislike having to fill up every 250 miles when I used to be able to go 350 to 400 in my Tundra.

Should I have any hope that the mileage will improve over time? Other than that I have had zero inital problems with my Jeep and I am very happy with it.

Dave B.
  • nwfootballa23nwfootballa23 Member Posts: 14
    what kind of gas mileage would a 1999 or newer grand cherokee with a v8 get? i am interested in trading in my expedition for one
  • plymmplymm Member Posts: 1
    Do you have the QuadraDrive or the QuadraTracII full time 4 wheen drive system?

I've owned a 1993 Grand Wagoneer and a 2001 GC Laredo. The Grand Wagoneer had QuadraDrive and the 2001 GC had QuadraTracII. The QuadraDrive was awesome and works similar to our current Audi Allroad Quattro. The 2001 GC's QuadraTracII was terrible in the snow--the back end swung out frequently. I couldn't use the full time 4 wheel drive on the QuadraTracII--it was only good for dry or wet pavement. Whenever it snowed, I had to put it into part time 4 wheel drive.

I now have the 2005 GC limited with the Hemi, QuadraDriveII and traction/stability control. I find that the QuadraDriveII system does cause the back end to spin out when the stability control is disengaged (the only thing I can conclude is that Jeep changed the QuadraDrive system since the early 1990s). However, the QuadraDriveII along with the stability control works awesome. Better than my Audi and BMW X5. This combo will blow away anything out there. The 4Lo is just a plus--I don't think I'll ever need it.
  • chicagojeepchicagojeep Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in replacing the factory stereo in my '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 6-disc CD changer stereo offered in the 2005 Chrysler 300s (and other new Chrysler vehicles). Is anyone aware of whether or not it is possible to install that stereo into an older model Jeep; if so, what problems might I face and what will be my most effective approach. I like this stereo specifically because its an indash multi-disk changer and has MP3 capability.
    My guess is that it will be harder than you think. I recently thought about putting a stereo from a 2005 Caravan in my 98 GC and it was not going to happen. The connectors are completely different. I would guess you would have the same issue with what you are trying.
    Maybe check out www.wkjeeps.com to see if they can help.
    i was thinking about buying a used 97 laredo with the inline 6 for about 7,000 with 100,000 miles on it. is there a better suv for the money that yall know of?
    I have a '98 with the 6 cyl with 165,000 on it so there's probably a fair amount more mileage left on it.
    Not sure about the $7,000 price tag. That's probably reasonable but I'd check a couple of the used car websites; (kbb.com) for on.
  • cabrellcabrell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee that just turned 281,000 miles. It has a 6 cylinder engine that has never been rebuilt, and the transmission has not been rebuilt. I was wondering if Jeep would be interested in this information and if so who to contact?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I know I am certainly impressed!

tidester, host
    thats insane
  • chicagojeepchicagojeep Member Posts: 2
    Were you unable to find any connector kits that would work? How about the size of the stereo, did you find that it would easily fit into the cavity of the console?
    Try www.jeep.com... and go to the contact information. I'm sure they would LOVE to hear this information.

-Paul
    The size of the stereo is not a problem. It's the connections on the back side. If there are connector kits available that "retrofit" a newer stereo to an older vehicle, I am not aware of them.
    I'm not positive on this one but I believe there are even different wire harnesses depending on model. Hence the connectors may be different depending on the radio.
    The "highline" vehicles will tend to have a greater number of speakers which also affects the wire harness\connections.
    I believe you also run into issues with the steering wheel mounted radio controls and DVD hookups.
    I'm not saying it's impossible to do this, it's just not simple.
    The new 2005 style radios are not compatible with earlier models due to the new CAN bus system used. Prior systems used a CCD bus. Chrysler started switching over to the new bus system with some 2004 models (Durango for example) and now most of the 2005/2006 models. The Liberty still uses the CCD bus radios. All of the new radios/changers that are MP3 compatible are of the CAN bus design.
  • transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    I just got back from the NYC International Auto Show. Yes, I went to the Camp Jeep section, but there was a one-hour wait for the ride, so I just watched all the Jeep models go through the relatively short course. The best part was the 45 degree hill (up and down); all the models did fine. And yes, the Commander was there. Attractive front. Utilitarian overall,and necessary for the Jeep lineup. But I think I'll stick with the JGC. I asked one of the Jeep attendants when the DHS will be available; the disappointing answer was probably not until the 2006 model year (or even later), but his answer is not necessarily "official."

The MB R-Class vehicle and the new M-Class SUV were at the show, but I cannot say I'm crazy about either. The Korean vehicles (Kia and Hyundai) looked quite good for their prices. The new hybrids, Lexus RX-400H and Highlander, were also on display; again, they don't grab me.

So, nothing at the show beats Quadra-Drive II, the Hemi, and DHS. We'll just have to wait for the latter. Oh, I forgot to mention the Land Rover Sport--looks great and probably performs great, but it costs about twice as much as the JGC.
  • kliggkligg Member Posts: 4
    testing
  • jgc20005jgc20005 Member Posts: 2
    have a 2000 jgc
    resurface rotors 2 times, replaced rotors twice. 5 occurrence: latest is need to replace rotors again 12 months and 15 days since replacement.

dailmer chrysler customer service desk won't do anything to help because it is 15 days over the 12 months. call center rep won't give me a person to escalate...

any suggestions on what i can do? 5 times is ridiculous.... customer service poor...
    HELP!!!
    the fix is to replace the calipers with ones that dissipate heat better.

0500302B - FRONT BRAKE PULSATION DURING LIGHT TO MODERATE BRAKE APPLICATION

Date: 12/16/02 (supersedes 0500302A Dated June 10, 2002)

Model Year(s): 1999-2002 (WJ models built May 11, 2002 and prior)

Description: Brake roughness or pedal pulsation when the brakes are applied. The customer may experience a vibration of the steering wheel, floor, seat, instrument panel, or a minor pedal pulsation (brake roughness) under light to moderate pedal application. The condition may be caused by excessive thickness variation of the brake rotor surface.

Details: This bulletin involves the replacement of both front brake rotors and caliper assemblies. NOTE: NEW BRAKE ROTORS MUST BE USED WITH THE NEW BRAKE CALIPERS.

Diagnosis:
    1. Determine if the front brake vibration/pulsation is caused by excessive thickness variation of either front brake rotor.
    2. If excessive thickness variation of the front brake rotor is at fault perform the Repair Procedure.
    3. If this bulletin has already been performed, and front brake pulsation/vibration is present, do not perform the Repair Procedure. Investigate other possible cases for front brake pulsation/vibration.

Parts required:
    52098672 Rotor (MSRP: $65.10 ea.)
    05093174AA Caliper kit (Left & Right calipers, brake pads, attachment bolts, banjo sealing washers)
    04318080AB Brake fluid (DOT3/MS-4574)

This is information I saved when I had my 2000 Grand. Hope this helps.

If you take this information to them, and talk to them nicely and professionally (perhaps another dealer too), you may be able to get it taken care of. If you bought this used, you may be able to ask why this TSB wasn't performed on this vehicle.

-Paul
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    testing

What, exactly, were you testing?

tidester, host
  • jgc20005jgc20005 Member Posts: 2
    thanks paul, already had the caliper fixed a while ago and it doesn't seem to have fixed the issue. sucks that in 12 months my brand new rotors need to be replaced again while my brake pads are fine. i have heard this to be an issue for sometime now and from mulitple people, it realy sucks that dailmer chrysler isn't doing anything about it. 15 days over warranty and no support, gotta question if this is the company i want to buy cars from.....

any other avenue you guys can think of, let me know. if i have to pay for new rotors or fix my breaks (not the pads) every year, i am better off selling my car and never buysing jeep again...
    I would replace the rotors with a nice high grade rotor meant to handle higher heat. When we had the Grand, we lived in the mountains and needed stopping power all the time. I'm honestly not sure of vendors, but I'm sure you could find sources on the net that would carry rotors for a 2000 Grand.

Interestingly enough, I was able to get 63,000+ miles out of my original brakes and rotors, with just a little warp. My wife and I use engine compression braking down hills and downshift as needed. The Jeep transmissions are tough, so we let it do the work. Maybe we were just light enough on the brakes that the heat never really became a huge issue.

Maybe with better rotors and perhaps adjusting your driving style a little bit might help some too. However, if you are in stop/go traffic a lot, there isn't too much you can do. :) We had a 132 mile round trip commute to work every day, so we got a LOT of highway miles.

If you go to another dealer and talk to them professionally and courteously, express your concern about the issues even though you've had the TSB performed. See what can happen. If you go in there mad, they probably will do nothing to assist you. Since it is beyond warranty, they are under no obligation to do anything for you except what you pay for. Given the closeness to the expiration, I would do it if I were them, if for no other reason than positive PR.

-Paul
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    You don't need a special rotor...just a non-D/C rotor. We had a '00 Laredo. Rotors warped at 15,000 or so. D/C and the 5 Star dealer would not help. (Had a '99 that warped at 5,000 & 20,000). Went to Autozone and got a set of rotors for $100. They lasted until we traded it at over 65,000 miles. I did replace 1 caliper later. The caliper stuck and heated up the brakes so the rotors warped and the wheel was so hot it burned my finger just touching. Once the rotors cooled down they were NOT warped any longer. This happened twice.

D/C can not make a rotor to stand up to normal usage. They should pay to correct their design problem. This is one reason I will probably never buy another D/C product.

Bill
  • elevatorguyelevatorguy Member Posts: 87
    Hi,
    I am the former owner of an 03 TrailBlazer that was recently totaled in an accident. I am now looking for a new SUV am considering the Grand Cherokee 4WD. I am looking at the Laredo with the option package that includes the leather interior. What I am looking for info on is first, the 3.7L engine. I am not going to be towing anything, but is this engine reliable and does it have enough power to keep up with this vehicle hauling a family around? Are there any known problems with this engine? I am looking for good economy, as I do a lot of miles, and power isn't a concern as long as it's adequate. I don't need to win any races, but don't want to get run over either LOL. What is everyone getting for mileage with this engine? Are there any options or features that I should be certain to get or certain to avoid? What is a reasonable amount to expect to take off the sticker of a GC priced at $32,870? I will be taking the $2500 plus the $1000 financing cash. Anything else anyone wants to add will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

Todd