Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• p3leop3leo Member Posts: 4
    I too have a 2002 JGC and it occasionally makes a screeching noise when the A/C is on. I work at a car dealership and the first time I heard it I had my service manager come take a look at it. I couldn't duplicate the problem, but said based on my description it was my air compressor kicking in as need be.

He said that that'll kick in in a certain way to aid the A/C to keep the air cool inside the cabin when the car is hot. The first day I noticed it, my black Jeep had been in the sun all day, it was at least 95 outside, and I was on the freeway. I noticed the sound seemed to be slightly worse when I was pressing the accelerator pedal. I also noticed that the oil pressure gauge was running slightly lower than normal. He said all of these were signs of a good working car. I have heard the noise twice since then, but have yet to notice any problems with my Jeep as far as performance or handling or faults/failures.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter is interested in speaking with current Cherokee owners about their major likes, dislikes, price paid and other vehicles considered. He will also want to mention your name, city and state. If you are interested in speaking with this reporter, please send your name and daytime phone number to Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com before Wednesday, July 6. Thank you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tokentoken Member Posts: 5
    Yes, they do ride well at first, but mine at 7200 miles has already slipped into that "loose steering" mode. My 2002 Jeep took 2 years and a lot of bumps to feel that way. The interior does look better, but it definitely seems like cheaper plastics were used on most of the moldings, etc. They say it's not smaller, but it sure looks and feels like it is. Also, I fear I'm on my way to the lemon law world, because it's at the dealer now for a new torque converter. Toyota, here I come.
  • mep4mep4 Member Posts: 2
    The steering wheel on my 2002 jeep grand cherokee is off centered. When I am driving down a straight road, the steering wheel is not completely straight. Does this mean anything? The reason I want to know is because I have been in other vehicles where the steering wheel is centered. When putting my hand at 10 and 2 or 9 and 3 on the steering wheel, in relation to the position of the airbag in the middle, it is not completely straight. The jeep symbol in the middle is not vertical. I hope I have explained this properly. Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • bethzbethz Member Posts: 2
    My husband and I are thinking of buying a 02 jeep grand laredo sport it has high miles 125000 but they are all highway miles the price is 6500.we aren't sure if we sholud buy it and was hoping for some serious feed back form jeep owners with high miles. Thanks
  • bethzbethz Member Posts: 2
    My husband and I are considering buying a 2002 JGCLS It has 125000 almost all highway miles it was a car that an exc. had at the company my husband works for drove to and from work about 180 miles a day for the last three years. It has had all of its reg. maint. and we can have it checked out by the dealership before we purchase it. The price is 6500.00 its in great shape inside and out.We would like to get some serious feedback from anyone with jgc with high miles Thanks
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    It is nothing serious most likely. Sounds just like you need a good front end alignment. A competent shop will make sure the wheel is centered.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    yesterday at lunch (I guess that is more detail than you really needed, but if you care to know the menu, just ask... ;) ) and I asked if she knew about the upcoming Jeep Commander (no, I am NOT in the wrong topic)...she has a Grand Cherokee, 2000...she loves it, no repairs other than routine maint, oil, tires, brakes (she never said anything about rotors lasting only 20K miles)...she bought it in 2000, gave her 1991 to her brother in law at 150K miles (the car, not the brother in law), and he still drives it daily at 200K...I mentioned this cuz I was wondering if she had all the negatives that you posters seem to encounter, but she only had creampuffs...if I get a JGC or Commander (also considering 2006 Exply, Santa Fe, 4Runner, Pathfinder), I hope it is as good as hers...yeah, it's the hemi... :shades:
  • echo2echo2 Member Posts: 1
    i have a1998 jeep grand cherokee laredo 6 cyl and last night the check gages light came on and the cars temp was rising so i looked under the hood and there was fluid in the plastic container where the water goes and and abnormal hissing sound. can anyboby give me some suggegetions as to what it could be so i don't get completely screwed by a mechanic
  • greg401greg401 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1995 JGC with 125K miles on it about 5 years ago. It currently has over 195K miles and I still love it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one in similar circumstances.
  • concoursbdhconcoursbdh Member Posts: 2
    I am debating on buying a '98 Grand Cherokee Limited with it being 4wd all the time. What experience does anyone have with the gas mileage that they do? Any other problems that I should know about? Thanks for any information that anyone can give!
  • concoursbdhconcoursbdh Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying a grand cherokee limited model that is 4wd all of the time. Can anyone give me any info on what to expect out of the gas mileage and are there any other things i need to look at about it before purchasing?
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    It sounds to me like you are definitely overheating.
    I have replaced both the water pump and the radiator on my '98 so it is most likely one of those two components.
  • aspadeaspade Member Posts: 42
    What mileage are 05 owners seeing on the highway with the 4.7l or the Hemi? Is there much difference between the two engines cruising at 85mph or so? I know city mileage will be terrible and favor the 4.7, but I'm more concerned with range between fillups on the interstate.

Diverging for a moment here, I don't understand why manufacturers build SUVs with such small tanks. 300+ hp gas sucking V8, barely any more gas than a Camry, I just don't get it.
    It is kinda like an oxymoron...if they put in 30 or 35 gallon tanks, you will certainly gain in "miles per tankful"...but the weight of 35 gallons of gas when the tank is full would probably drop the city mpg by 2-3 mpg by adding much weight...then, the EPA city mileage would be so poor that few might buy the gas hogs...tradeoff, I think...

Pickup trucks, OTOH, are designed for folks other than soccer Moms, and so they can come equipped with 35 gallong tanks, or a second fuel tank, because they are designed for working...IMHO, and YMMV...
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    This time around my other half is making the vehicle choice. Now that Chrysler has matched the employees pricing and additional discounts, it might be possible for us to buy another car. I'm thinking that the Hemi might make more sense - we do mostly highway driving and I wonder if we would have the extra power without sacrificing too much gas mileage (he's also thinking about a full sized pick-up). Am I just dreaming? We both drove it and liked it (I especially liked it better than the Chevy pick-up, who's seats are way too big for me). Is there anything I should be bringing up to him one way or the other about it?
  • aspadeaspade Member Posts: 42
    I don't think its the weight. An extra 10 gallons of gas only weighs about 63 pounds. Jeep didn't blink at adding 500 pounds in this redesign, and neither have most other manufacturers.

I'd like a fullsize truck with a 600 mile tank some of the time, but I have to drive and park in the city too. Always a compromise.
  • anajeraanajera Member Posts: 2
    HAVE YOU EVER HAVE THE PROBLEM WHEN YOU TURN ON THE AC, THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE GOES ON, IN NORMAL USE THE TEMPERATURE GOES UP BUT NOT AS THE LEVEL 230 F., THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME
    Do I stand corrected???
    Well, I'll throw my two cents in being an engineer.
    My guess is that it is a space constraint issue. 20 gallons is a pretty decent size giving adequate range but is still a pretty large tank to package in a midsize SUV.
    Pickup trucks tend to have longer wheelbases allowing larger tanks.
  • mm450excmm450exc Member Posts: 37
    I'm thinking about trading my 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe (5.3L V8) for a 2004 JGC with the 4.7L V8. Any known problems/issues with this Jeep? What is the average gas mileage you guys get? How is the ride?
    I do not own either, but from what I have read on numerous posts, and which will be confirmed by those who own, you may be downsizing your vehicle in size, but your mpg will be equal to, or worse than, your Tahoe...for some reason, even those who love their Jeeps seem to comment on the poor mileage they get on their vehicles, whether 4.7 or 5.7 engines...give it about 10 posts, and you will probably have your answer... :shades: :shades:
  • cwcwtfcwcwtf Member Posts: 3
    in a 2000 grand cherokee laredo i seem to have a water leak coming from somewhere under/around the serpentine belt. ive just recently purchased the jeep and did so before finding this forum. now im worried. i must say i love the jeep. hopefully this isnt a big problem any suggestions? thanks
    upon further investigation this seems to be a coolant leak. i havent much here about problems of this nature. anybody else or maybe its just normal maint. problem. thanks
    If it is coming from around the serpentine belt, it is most likely a water pump issue.

You'll need to get under the van with a drop light and look around until you can pinpoint where it is coming from.
  • keeritjeepkeeritjeep Member Posts: 4
    Hi there aspade,
    My name is Keerit and I am a Marketing Representative with the Jeep Information Center. I’m glad to see that you are doing your research on the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It’s always refreshing to see consumers taking the effort to make an informed decision on a vehicle. I noticed that you had a couple of questions regarding the fuel efficiency on the 4.7L V8 and the 5.7L HEMI V8 engines available on the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I can provide you with the EPA’s estimated fuel efficiency ratings for both of these engines. Hopefully this will provide you with a good outlook for what to expect out of the two.

Would it be okay with you if I joined the conversation?

Thanks in advance,

Keerit T.
  • g_man1g_man1 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 02 GC Laredo 4.7L Selec-Trac 4x4. I have been getting around 16 mpg lately. When new it produced an average of 19-20 mpg on the highway if there was a tail wind the whole way. Ride quality is nice, although I have noticed a tendency for the thing to wander around the asphalt quite a bit. Sometimes it can be a downright handfull and pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. But it absolutely thrives when you leave the pavement. When it hits the back country dirt and gravel roads it feels extremely sure-footed. I have little experience with this vehicle and heavy snow, and I quite honestly haven't thrilled it in a full, off-road experience, so I can't help in either of those areas.

I have had one issue with this vehicle, but it was a biggie (and covered by warranty). I had to replace the entire rear end last year after 35k miles, including the limited-slip differential. No clear reason why this occurred, but basically all of the bearings wore out and the axles were grinding away into oblivion. Hopefully this is not something that will occur every 35k. I have heard other people describing the same symptoms in the "Problems" forum.
    Hello there mtngal,

It’s great to see that you are interested in possibly purchasing a new 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee! I would like to provide you with information regarding the fuel efficiency for the HEMI engine and any other concern(s) that you may have. The 5.7L HEMI V8 engine has an EPA estimated fuel efficiency rating of 14mpg in the city and 21mpg on the highway. A very respectable figure considering the amount of power that this particular engine outputs (330hp @ 5,000rpm). If you happen to have any other questions, I would be more than happy to help.

Keerit T.
    Is the 21 mpg highway likely, especially with a 4WD model? Many years ago I had a vehicle that easily beat the EPA numbers, but my most recent experience has been with the Jeep 4.0L engine. The EPA for highway was 19 for my vehicle, but the only time I ever get close to that is when I'm driving downhill with a tail wind. Otherwise, my all highway mileage runs between 17 and 18, and from the sounds of it, I'm getting better mileage than most. So how realistic is that 21? I sure wouldn't mind getting better mileage while maintaining 4x4 capabilities.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Would it be okay with you if I joined the conversation?

Welcome aboard, Keerit! You're already familiar with the Forum's Terms of Use and we look forward to your participation.

tidester, host
  • eric091572eric091572 Member Posts: 13
    MTNGAL,

I think the 21 MPG highway onthe 5.7L is likely, as I've been seeing about 20 MPG on the highway cruising at 75 MPH with my '05 JGC. I think the MDS makes a difference on the highway, but, my city driving has been piss-poor, about 10 MPG, not even close to the 14 listed using the EPA standards (which is grossly outdated and not reflective of "real world" situations). I hope that helps.
    That's nice to know - my commute is 98% highway and I rarely drive in a city. In fact, in the last 10 months, I've only managed 1 tank of gas that was over 50% city driving, so it sounds like the MDS would pay off for me. We're backing off the idea of another new car, but that new JGC just keeps calling my name. If my other half gets the promotion he's applied for, and if his raise is big enough, then perhaps...
    I have the 4.0L in my '98 GC and I average 19 on the highway. I've been as high as 21 but it usually is consistently 19.
    The only time I get poor mileage is when I'm towing in the mountains and then it will drop down to 11-12 mpg.
  • burnedupburnedup Member Posts: 2
    Hi Sqib: I have joined your club. My 2005 Grand Cherokee "Rocky Mnt edition" Jeep with 2900 miles did exactly what yours did. At 45 MPH, slight incline on a state highway, I lost power. As I pulled over to the side of the road, my wife said "I smell smoke"! Fortunately, we were able to bail out. Within minites, the Jeep was fully enveloped and by the time the fire dept arrived, Ir was flaming 25 feet high. A lot of what if's. What if there was an invalid in the back seat? What if we had our grandchild strapped in her seat back there? What if the doors would not unlock (they lock automatically within a 1/2 mile of start up)? Your right, Jeep needs to address this problem!!! another ex-owner (p.s. this was our third new jeep) burnedup
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Scary stuff.

I wonder if this is at all related to a recall involving earlier model years as noted in this post:

janz, "Jeep Grand Cherokee" #1811, 8 Jun 2004 10:42 am

The NHTSA investigates car fires so you may want to contact them (nhtsa.gov).

Steve, Host
  • yaaahseeyaaahsee Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 2005 Grand C. Limited with the 5.7L Hemi. I break my cars in very gently and have driven about 80% of my first 350 miles on the highway. Average MPG is a staggering 13.0. Any comments. Thank you in advance.
  • teenerjgcteenerjgc Member Posts: 1
    Could you please elaborate? What did you find out as to the cause of the fire???
    I just bought one.
    There are many factors that play a role in optimizing your vehicle's fuel efficiency. Sometimes the markedly small differences can improve your vehicles overall fuel economy. For example, using the correct/recommended octane level of gas, refraining from using the proverbial "heavy foot" as much as possible and changing your vehicle's engine oil at or a little before the recommended interval are all valid factors that can sometimes be overlooked because of increasing gas prices, aggressive driving habits etc. In addition, one must also consider road and weather conditions as these things will in fact play a role. The following are some helpful tips for improving your gas mileage:
    Maintaining your vehicle at the posted speed limit (I know that sometimes we all tend to run a little late). Observing the speed limit not only saves you money, it can save much more. Trying to remove unnecessarily heavy weight from your vehicle. Excess idling is also a concern; although seemingly harmless, how many miles per gallon do you get while the vehicle is just sitting there? And last, but not least, using your vehicles cruise control system whenever possible. Combining all of these variables together will undoubtedly boost your vehicles overall fuel efficiency. If there are any other questions that you may have, I would be more than happy to help!

Keerit T.
    I know one of the biggest factors for my current Jeep has been wind - does wind affect the JGC as much as it does the Wranglers? Also, does the temperture affect the mileage? So far it doesn't seem to make much difference for me, but I wondered.
    Hi there here from Jeep world,
    Oncoming wind does play more of a role in affecting fuel mileage for the Jeep Wrangler than it does on the Jeep Grand Cherokee. In this type of scenario, what you must consider is the amount - or velocity - of the wind that the vehicle is driving against. Given the size of the two vehicles and their respective engine sizes, the Grand Cherokee will experience less trouble with windy conditions. And yes, temperature certainly plays a role in your vehicle's overall efficiency. The hotter the outside temperature is, the harder your vehicle has to work to regulate itself. This is relative to placing a glass of water outside: the hotter the temperature, the faster the evaporation rate. Post away with any more concerns :P

Keerit T.
    thanks paule.....the problem was the water pump at 61,000 miles ....thanks again
  • naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    For what it's worth, I get 21 mpg on my 2001 4.0L Laredo at 70mph summer freeway cruisecontrol driving @ 66,000 miles in 2WD mode AC on. I still have the original Goodyear Wrangler SRAs on it although they'll need replacing this Fall. It drops 1mpg in winter 4WD mode and things like wind and of course city driving really knock it down.

I have commented a few months back - - it still has overall been a pretty good vehicle. Other than 3 seat heaters for the driver and 1 for the passenger needing replacements and a few items (including the full brake replace of course, but only once so far although high speed stops are starting to get "wobbly" again), overall it's been a pretty good vehicle at almost 5 years old.
    That's a bit early for a water pump to go out on you but it happens.
  • hoppy1977hoppy1977 Member Posts: 1
    My 1997 jgc has started missing very bad and is hard to start. It has 108,000miles on it. I changed the plugs and wires dist. cap and button. took it and had it checked out and they said it was a censer but didn't know which one. Also when i make a left hand turn i hear a screeching noise coming from the driver side tire. I put new brake pads on it and a new roater, it still makes a noise.
    I also have a 2000 Town and Country van before i made the first payment on it the transmission went out on it $1,300 to fix it. :sick: :cry: with 82,000 miles on it.

BEFORE THESE TWO CARS I HAD TWO TOYOTAS' WITH 200,000 MILES ON THEM AND NEVER HAD ANY BIG PROBLEMS WITH THEM. THANK GOD I KEPT ONE OF THEM, OR I WOULDN'T HAVE A WAY TO GET TO WORK TO PAY FOR THE REPAIRS ON THE OTHER TWO!!!!!!!!
  • idlewildidlewild Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 grand cherokee v8 4.7 it has 58000 miles on it and has been very well maintained lately it has started to idle funny when i turn it on it will rev real high for about five seconds then slowly come down. when it comes down it steadily idles up and down, up and down etc. also sometimes after driving for a little while when i stop at a light it will idle very low almost to the point of turning off . While I am not an expert mechanic I can fix some things. does anybody know what this may be and is it something fairly simple to fix?
  • tgalluptgallup Member Posts: 9
    I too would like to replace the front pads and machine the rotors on my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee. For SUV's that have ABS, is it necessary to open the bleeder screw before you compress the caliper piston? I've replaced brakes before but not on a vehicle with ABS. Is there anything special I should be aware of? Thanks!
  • dlcleavksdlcleavks Member Posts: 20
    I own a '02 Overland 4.7 HO that is basically stock now except for K&N FIPK and the Kolak 3" exhaust pkg. The 4" TF lift is gone and I retained the Addco F&R upgraded sway bars. I've also returned to the stock tire size. I drive about 80 miles a day roundtrip...90% highway at 70mph or about 2K rpm...and get just under 21mpg according the the DIC. I only use 91 or better octane and am religious about 3k mi oil changes and tire rotation. I presently have 129600 on the odometer. I'm sure the K&N and the exhaust help a bit with the mileage which is why they are still on the Jeep.
  • tgalluptgallup Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo that needs the pads replaced and rotors resurfaced. I have worked on smaller cars without ABS. This would be my first time with the JGC (and first time the pads get changed).

Is there anything I need to be aware of before I start? For example, do the calipers come off with a standard socket (or is a special tool required)? Do I need to do anything for the ABS before I push the piston in with a C-clamp (such as loosen a bleeder screw)? Would it be beneficial to spend $20 and register on the Jeep site for access to the on-line service guide? Thanks!
  • fubzyfubzy Member Posts: 3
    I am interested in upgrading my Jeep. I am looking for any information on aftermarket parts as follows : Headers, Exhaust, Cold Air Intake Systems, Power chips, the Turbonater, and other such parts and up grades. What are the best brands for each and are they available?? PLEASE HELP !!
    Nothing special about ABS equipped vehicles. I tend to take the lid off of the brake fluid reservoir and watch the fluid level when I compress the calipers.
    I don't think I've ever bled the brakes when just changing out pads.