Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    For starters, don't put any of that "turbonater" junk on there. It does absolutely nothing to help and can only hurt.
    I'd start with the simple stuff: K&N filter and maybe a Borla exhaust. Not sure if they're available yet. Try googling K&N and Borla and see what you come up with.
    I'd also be careful about any chips while you still have a warranty left.
    The brakes are pretty simple. No need to loosen the bleeder screw; just watch the reservoir fluid level to make sure it doesn't overflow.
    Calipers should be a standard socket; most likely a 10mm. I'm not sure though, I don't own an '03.
    It looks like the caliper slide pins may require an allen wrench to loosen them. I'm going by a service manual and it's kind of hard to tell.
    Just make sure you put some anti-squeal on the back sides of the pads and lube up the slide pins.
    You may want to consider buying some aftermarket rotors also. They're normally pretty cheap and will fix any shudder problems you may be having.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I just rented a 2005 JGC Laredo for a couple of vacation days in Florida. I was actually pretty astonished at how unimpressed I was. My thoughts;

1 - I thought the GC was supposed to be more upscale, the interior was really cheap to me. Hard plastic everywhere. Black plastic around radio looks really downscale. Admittedly the version I drove was a rental stripper (cloth), but they don't improve the dash in the more upscale versions, do they? Is this the best Chrysler can do for $30K?
    2. - Not very spacious for the mileage. Not very inexpensive for the lack of economy.
    3. I had the base engine. Lots of noise accompanied by some acceleration.
    4. The door releases are way too low, I always found myself reaching for the handle area but the release lever is 6 inches lower! - blocked nicely by my left leg. Didn't Chrysler think about ergonomics?

I guess I've been spoiled by my previous Audi A4 and my current Acura TL. I thought this 'nice' SUV would have offered a bit more value. It amazes me how some people comment on the luxury it offers - what have you been driving? I can't imagine why I would ever want one unless I really needed the off road capability.
  • tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    1. Why would you think the BASE Grand Cherokee would be more "upscale"? What other similar size and similar priced SUV vehicle is more upscale than the base Grand Cherokee? This model sells for 25k and includes quite a few nice features for that price, not to mention stellar crash-test ratings. Go look at ANY new vehicle in this class and price range and tell me you don't see a lot of plastic in the interior - every manufacturer is doing this.

2. Are there any 25k mid-size SUV's out there that are that much larger than the GC and that get better gas mileage?

Where have you been reading comments about how much "luxury" people are saying the BASE model GC has? (or any other vehicle in the same class).
    So let me get this straight, after 8 years and 108,000 miles the engine has a bit of a miss and you have a screech sound when you turn - and these are "BIG" problems????
  • tgalluptgallup Member Posts: 9
    Thanks, Paule. I worked on my brakes this weekend and they are pretty simple, as you mentioned.

However, my reservoir fluid level is pretty high right now and I have to compress the caliper cylinders to fit the new pads. Is there a way to siphon or remove the excess fluid from the reservoir without bleeding the brakes? I want to try to avoid the hastle if I can.

Thanks again!

Tom
    tloke1 - Answers to your questions:

1. I thought the Cherokee line included the Liberty (small SUV) and Wrangler (traditional, crude, good off-road vehicle). I viewed the Grand Cherokee as the bigger, nicer SUV. Base is $28K for AWD. For example, Honda Pilot is only $26K base and has much more room, more refinement, third row seating, much better interior quality.

2. Again, Honda Pilot is larger, has same gas mileage with much more refined engine, 40 more HP.

My original comment also mentioned that even though the higher models of the Grand Cherokee would have leather, more features, etc. - is that dash surface any different? The top of the dash was hard plastic. I wouldn't think that would change in the >$30K versions. The ergonomics were pretty poor (my comment on the door release handle). The engine was noisy for the moderate power that was delivered.

I realize that this might have looked like a troll but was not - I thought the value and refinement were poor for a newly redesigned vehicle of this class. Given how much GM is criticized for lousy interiors, how much the Japanese and German makes have focused on really nice interior quality - the JGC seems like an amazing step backwards. I also didn't mention that I don't think the new model looks as nice as the previous one. If we want the American (or in the Chrysler case - the German/American) manufacturers to improve this is not the way to do it.

I concluded by admitting that if I wanted a medium-sized vehicle with substantial off road capability then this might be the one, but I don't see a lot of reason to choose this vehicle otherwise. It surprised me because I thought it would be a lot better than it was.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Your last paragraph says it all. You wouldn't even want to attempt to take that Pilot to places the JGC could go.

If you're looking for a mini-van replacement that might see some light snow duty, then I'm sure the Pilot would be fine. You get into the mud, towing, off-road, deep snow....you'd probably be in trouble with the Pilot.

Not a knock, but every mid-range SUV I've seen (including the Pilot) that offers 3rd row seating, is at best weak, when it comes to the 3rd row room.

I test drove the Pilot when I was truck shopping a couple of months ago. It's interior had it's own quirks. I didn't buy one, even though it was the least expensive of the bunch I was looking at. Biggest reason being, I do traverse dirt/mud roads and we do get some 6"-8"-12" snow storms during the winter. I didn't get the feeling the PIlot could handle those as well as a JGC, Explorer or a 4Runner.

In fairness, as a mini-van replacement, the Pilot would be fine.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    We moved from a 2000 GCL to a 2004 Envoy XL. The third row seat is usable in the Envoy. I'm 6'1 about 185 with long legs...I would not want to take a 400 mile trip in the 3rd row but could probably do 2-3 hours without a problem. It is one of the few we considered once we decided about what we wanted. Of course I almost wish I had looked a little more at the Tahoe/Yukon for the size. By the time we got the pretty well loaded Envoy SL SLT we were probably within maybe $2000 of a reasonably equiped Tahoe/Yukon.

We did go 2wd and the Envoy XL is really more of a mini-van replacement than an off roader. If I ever decide to do the off road....I'll buy an older 4wd.
    "Your last paragraph says it all. You wouldn't even want to attempt to take that Pilot to places the JGC could go. "

I agree - but we know what percentage of people buying these vehicles actually USE the off road capabilities.

I'm not looking for a minivan replacement - I just was responding to another poster that said where do you find a nicer vehicle for the same price range. I listed the Pilot as one example that was priced similarly, more refined, nicer interior, and had a third row (even if you didn't want it/need it).
  • murfbearmurfbear Member Posts: 17
    We (my wife and I) have had our hemi powered JGC limited for about 4 days, I'm so impressed. Still finding out all the functions it has mostly sat radio and conv radio. No regrets at all except having payments again. We replaced our totaled Jeep Liberty Renegade. I am a jeep fan now and wouldn't think of driving any other suv, except for maybe the most equiped Hummer.
  • kcreadykcready Member Posts: 7
    Re: Seat Heater Replacement
    What did you have to do to replace the seat heater? How much did it cost?
  • paulschpaulsch Member Posts: 2
    I too have the 5.7L HEMI and my gas mileage is horrible. Driving around town I'm getting 10-12 mpg. The best I've seen on the highway (all Hwy trip averaging 70 MPH) is 16 mpg. Right now on my current tank of gas, driving in a suburban area, being real easy with acceleration, I'm at 11.4 mpg. Is anyone else having these types of numbers or should I contact the dealer to check this thing out? :confuse:

Thanks!

Paul
  • eric091572eric091572 Member Posts: 13
    Paulsch,

I'm getting about the same numbers in my '05 JGC 5.7L 4x4. We all know that the EPA figures are grossly outdated. What I've noticed to be accurate in reading the figures is to take the city MPG figure they list as your average highway MPG, and using that system works well for many vehicles. It was the same in my '98 Expedition too -- I would get on the highway about what they said was the EPA city MPG. They need to change the system badly. But, I expected such to be the case, so, I guess I'm not surprised that I'm not getting the 19 MPG on the highway (although I suspect I might hit that number if I was doing a 300 mile non-stop highway trip with the MDS working most of the time).
  • paulschpaulsch Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. To try to improve things a bit I checked my tire psi and found that all four were at 29.5 psi, so I increased them to 33 psi (as per the placard). I'll see if this improves things a bit. K&N does not have a FIPK filter yet for the '05 so that option is not in play right now. I'm also going to try filling the tank only to the halfway point. I've calculated that a full tank of gas on the JGC weighs between 129 lbs. and 132 lbs. (depending on grade). I figure I can drop approx 65 lbs. of fuel weight that I really don't need to be hauling around in this suburban area of NJ. I don't know what the rest of you are paying for gas but I paid $50 to fill up this week. That was a slap in the face for me.

I welcome any other thoughts and ideas or successes.

Thanks!
    Paul
  • burnedupburnedup Member Posts: 2
    don't know. at 45 MPH up a slight grade the engine quit. pulled over to the side and a witness had us get away from the vehicle as he saw flames dropping from the engine. 10 minutes later, entire vehicle consumed in flames progressing from front to rear. Vehicle was totalled!. burnedup
  • hawker1hawker1 Member Posts: 3
    I have just purchased a '97 with the 4.0 engine, but there was no owners manual
    with it.
    Can anyone tell me the recommended oil for this engine ?

THANKS
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Don't know about the oil, but check this post for a link to a replacement manual:

tsjay, "Jeep Wrangler" #18348, 23 Jun 2005 10:04 am

And the Edmunds Maintenance Guide may be of interest too.

Steve, Host
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I don't own a JGC, but I own 2 Wranglers with the 4.0 L engine. I've just put 10W30 in them and that seems to be working well. I didn't think to change to synthetic in the first Wrangler - and it is still running well with regular dino oil in it (130,000 miles on a '98).
  • amujeepamujeep Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo. The plugs needed changing so my brother in law changed them for me. He used Bosch Platinum plugs. The cylinders began misfiring and I was told at the dealership when I took it in that they were the wrong kind of plugs and that we should only ever put in Champion plugs. Does anyone know anything about types of spark plugs my jeep can take?

Thank you.
    amu
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    spark plug. Make the most consistent performance from the engine. I tried platinums in my Jeep, it ran bad. Switched to Champion - no problems after that (also added new wiring).

-Paul
    Thank You, for your reply.
    They seem to have the best deal on an owners manual. A lot better than what
    is on Ebay!
    Thanks again, Rich
    Thanks for your reply - I will go with regular 10w30.
  • naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    Sorry, I wish there was a way for this forum to "alert" me of a message as I typically am on the 300M forum.
    The dealer replaced the entire lower seat with heater a few years ago. And last winter he replaced the heater element with an upgraded (better quality? he says so...) element in the existing seat. I commented on that around 12/04 in this forum as I was frustrated that it had happened multiple times since in MN having a warm tush (on leather seats after all) is important....but relative to other more major problems with the vehicle, I can live with it as the car starts, drives, is safe, etc.

I do not know the exact costs, but got the impression from the service manager the entire seat replacment was $800+ but the heater element only was around $400 but more labor. Both of which are pretty expensive for a warm tush especially if they only get you a year or two. (Comment: I am about to enter the 2nd winter on my 300M so knock-on-wood the heaters will keep working. Are they different than the Jeeps? They seem to warm up better and extend up the lower back. Ping me in a couple years to see how well both the 300M and Jeep's held out as my Jeep is out of extended warranty this December 05).
    "Take the Grand Cherokee and give it an extra row of seats. Jeep dealers have long been tired of losing customers who need to haul more than five people to other manufacturers, so it's overdue."

First Drive: 2006 Jeep Commander (Inside Line)

Forum link: Jeep Commander

Steve, Host
  • kcreadykcready Member Posts: 7
    Thanks naatz1 for the info on the seat heater replacement.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    At least Jeep put the Commander out as a separate vehicle. I have no need for the extra passenger seating (there's just 2 of us) and it always erks me when people give "extra points" for a vehicle that offers more seating. It's like saying to me that an Excursion is better than a Grand Cherokee because it is bigger. That may be true for some, but not everyone has a large family, and a JCG may be just the right size for someone else. Once when I was looking at Explorers, a salesman presented one with the extra seating as though it was the most wonderful thing ever. He couldn't believe it when I said "don't bother showing it to me - why should I pay extra for something I don't want and have no use for?"

OK, I'll get off my soap box now.
    I agree. Third row seating would be a reason NOT to buy a vehicle for me.
  • jaybird10jaybird10 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a JGC limited with the Hemi and was surprised to see the owners manual recommended using regular or mid grade gas, 87-89 octane. Not having to pay for premium would be sweet, but what would you recommend. I can't afford to let my mileage go down as it is around 14 mpg in mixed driving after one tank of gas.
    Check out What about fuel types & gas mileage? while waiting for responses.

Steve, Host
  • jaybird10jaybird10 Member Posts: 2
    We just bought a 2005 Jeep Cherokee Limited with the Hemi. The owners manual recommends burning regular or mid-grade but not premium. Considering the price of premium, this sounds too good to be true. What you say. In addition, we have just gone thru our 1st tank of gas and averaged 13.8 mpg. Will this go up over time and will burning regular bring that number down.
    Use ONLY the stock Champion plug (4.0= Mopar P/N SP000ZFR5N). Anything else is a waste of money, will NOT offer better performance, and as you found out may cause problems.

P.S. Find someone else to work on your Jeep, your brother-in-law obviously has no idea what he is doing...
  • biogradstubiogradstu Member Posts: 6
    I have a 98 JGC, 6 cy. w/83,000 miles. I've only had it for a couple months now and I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer. The first question deals with some of the optional items that can be turned on. In the manual it says that options such as the lights turn on when the wipers are on and horn beeps when the doors locks can be turned on by authorized dealers. Is there a way for me to manually doing this without going to a dealer and having to pay them?

My other question deals with the 4wd system (select trac). This is my first vehicle I have owned that has 4wd. I'm not too familiar with how to operate the whole system. When shifting from 2wd to 4 full time do I have to have the transmission in neutral? How about when I shift from 4 fulltime back to 2wd? I don't want to goof around with it until I now what I'm doing. Thanks for any help.
    I am a big Champion plug believer. But I put Bosch double platinums (2 prong, not the 4s) in my 01 Laredo six cylinder last March. I noticed a 5-10% improvement in gas mileage this past summer for no other reason .... again, I won't credit the plugs but I don't know what else it would be either. The Jeep has 60,000+ miles so it's well broken in. It runs fine, at least during the warmer months. Again, no digs on Champion as they make good products but the Bosch do just fine by me (and if in doubt, changing plugs on the old growly reliable 6 is about as easy as any vehicle I have ever owned ... a 30 minute operation for all plugs).
  • jeeps4lifejeeps4life Member Posts: 7
    Is Employee Pricing ending on September 6th?
    Is Chrysler offering an additional $1,000 on top of the $2,000 cash back if you finance through them? Dodge is, and the rate you get is higher than the 0% APR, but I'll take $3000 and 5% APR over 0% APR and $0 cash back.
    What is going to happen when EP pricing ends? Will prices increase or will we start to see end of the year clearance prices that are the same or lower than EP pricing?

Thanks
    If a "5%-10%" mileage gain could be achieved by simply using a "performance" plug every car coming off of the assembly lines would have them, and people would be lined up outside auto stores to buy them. There is no such thing as a plug that offers "better mileage" or "more power" when compared to the stock plugs. Your "mileage gain" is most likely attributed to comparing what you were getting with the old plugs to what you were getting with the brand new ones. The results would have been the same had you used stock Champion plugs instead of the Bosch.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I agree about the bolt on efficiencies. BUT, if you do what you can to keep your engine as tuned as possible, you may not waste as much gas and it will see those 'savings'.

I've also noticed that the Jeep gets better mileage with the top and doors on (better air flow I guess).

-Paul
  • transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    Where is the Jeep corporate intelligence? Given the ridiculous price of gasoline, why is Jeep coming out with the SRT-8 instead of immediately announcing that it will sell the European Jeep Diesel model here? C'mon, wake up, Jeep!
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Depending on your driving style ( city/highway-cruiser/leadfoot), you should see that mpg go up about 1-2 gallons realistically speaking in real world terms. I know exactly what you are going through as I just bought my 2005 Hemi a month ago. As for burning regular, at the most you'd see is a slight power lost.

J.S.
    I beg to differ with your comment. I too have installed Bosch plugs (+4, not +2) and have seen dramatic increases in power delivery, driveability, and fuel economy. I've got a 6-cylinder 01 Laredo with only 22,890 miles on it, so the plugs were not bad at all. On top of that to prove my theory, I had the truck put on th dyno, and found it to have 9 additional horses, and 11 more pound feet of torque
    10w-30 mate! Since the truck is older I recommend going full sunthetic (Mobil 1 preferrably). I've got a '98 4.0 with right at 220k miles on original motor burning synthetic since I bought in '99 with 32,000 miles on the odo.
  • rally3rally3 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2005 JGC and it has stalled 4 times now. I am looking into my State's Lemon Laws bought thought you could share some advice on how you were able to get Chrysler to buy it back.
    The factory plugs are spec'd for 30k and 23k miles is 75% through that cycle. You're still comparing plugs with 23k miles to brand new plugs, apples and oranges. The Bosch plugs will NOT give you more power nor will they improce your mileage. Period.

I'll say it again:

There is no such thing as a plug that offers "better mileage" or "more power" when compared to the stock plugs.
    Interesting comments from both of you, but like I said originally I won't credit the plugs... I am a computer engineer, not an automotive engineer. All I know is for whatever reason I am getting the 5-10% better mileage than a year ago when I got just over 20 mpg on the freeway, and I know guys who are getting lower mileage with basically the same vehicle. I just did a 500 mile round trip with the 01 6 cylinder JGC with 67K miles and during 50 mile cycles on the trip computer fairly flat terrain no AC 2WD mode I got:
    - 22.7 mpg at 65 mph Wisconsin freeway limit (amazing no one driving that speed)
    - 22.0 mpg at 70 mph (still getting blown away, slow down and save gas folks!)

Use 87 octane gas and still running original GY Wrangler SRAs which will need replacing soon. Not looking forward to the mileage drop during winter and mostly 4WD driving which in the past costs 1 mpg on the highway.

BTW, any comments on tires? IE, is a more aggressive M&S tread like the SRA worse on gas mileage? Despite living in a rural wooded area I do not do true off roading so I suspect I really do not need this type of tread the dealer sold me on and could go with a more standard (quieter highway, better mileage?) replacement tire. I must say with 6K mile rotations I am impressed on the longevity of these Wranglers though.
  • bwblank444bwblank444 Member Posts: 1
    What is the average mileage of a 6 cyl 2004 on the highway?
  • topspin999topspin999 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 with window/door lock control problems similar to what you're experiencing with a 99. Took it to the local Jeep dealer because the driver's master window/door lock controller didn't work and one rear window didn't work at all. They replaced the rear window motor and regulator for about $450 and said that they couldn't get the driver's control unit to fail. Got it back, and the next day it didn't work. Saw a guy at a Thruway rest area with the same car. Asked if he had any problems with his window/door lock controller. He said "All the time. You have to bang on it." He smacked the control unit with his fist. I did it in my car, and it worked! Incredible. What are the chances that I'd run into this guy and ask the question? Will replacing the driver's master control unit solve the problem? Right now, none of the windows or door locks work. And smacking it no longer works. I don't think that the 1996 GC engineers put their best foot forward on the window control electronics. Based on the number of people on this forum who have replaced window motors and regulators, this seems to be a common problem.
  • transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    Yesterday I picked up the brochure for the 2006 JGC. Besides the introduction of the Overland and SRT models, the only real change I could find was in the listed rear hip room. In the 2005 brochure, this is given as 60.6". In the 2006 brochure, this is given as 45.81". How could the 2006 model have about 15" less rear hip room? Is this for real or just a typo?
  • yaaahseeyaaahsee Member Posts: 2
    Those are the same numbers I,ve experienced all the way up to 4,900 miles. Thought the engine would "break in" but still no evidence of that. Am extremely diisappointed.
  • mrsm93mrsm93 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 JGC limited with 70000 miles. I have only had it for about 5 months. recently my son keeps saying that when we take off from a stop that it seems there is a "clunk" when it shifts at about 5 mph. Last night we were on the interstate running about 70 mph we noticed the engine light come on right after that it kind of hesitated, sort of like we running out of gas. Checked and we had 3/4 tank. We stopped and checked oil and trans fluid. We were stopped about 10 minutes and decided to see how it was running. At this point we were 70 miles from home at 3am. We made it home but the whole time the car was stil hesitating every few minutes. Does anyone know what this could be?? The owners manual was gone when we bought the car so I don't even have that to refer to.
    Thanks,
    Deb :(
    The 4.0 I-6 engine gets an EPA rating 16 city/ 21 highway