Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• gerdanielsgerdaniels Member Posts: 2
    We are currently looking to purchase a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0
    I-6 but need to know what the towing limits are on this vehicle. We want to tow a 25ft ultralight trailer about 4000 lbs. empty (approx. maybe less). We have looked on this web site (edmunds.com) and the specifications say max is 6500 lbs. but other information we have gotten states that the max is 5000 lbs. Can anyone help? Has anyone ever towed a travel trailer with a JGC 4.0 I-6? Can this work or is this not the vehicle to look at for towing?
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    The max trailer towing cap. is 6500lbs with the factory class3 receiver. Some sites say 5000 because JGC's without the proper equipment can't tow the full 6500. The Jeep makes a great tow vehicle. I noticed on mine that when loaded, it rides much better. But if you need maximum grunt, check out a Laredo with the 4.7L V8. It can tow 7200 pounds with the factory hitch. It only gets one mpg (15/20) less than the 4.0L.
  • gerdanielsgerdaniels Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info.
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    I don't think the 4.0 will have too much problem with the weight, but pushing through all that air with the fairly large flat front of a travel trailer might be a bit much. I think you will be happier with the 4.7 V8, especially when driving into the wind. Your towing MPG may actually be better with the V8 due to the need to put less pedal into it to maintain speed.
  • rickierickie Member Posts: 1
    My 95 Jeep GC dives into the road on downhill RH curves on the driver front side only.Cannot go more than 35-40mph. Have to replace driver front side shock yearly and motor mounts yearly. Transfer case / all wheel drive issues ?
    Dealer no help.
  • boosted82boosted82 Member Posts: 3
    Okay guys.. first off this forums has been great thus far.. alot of gained knowledge, so thanks! Hehe.. but now I have a problem. I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado.

My brake lights don't seem to work when the lights on in the ON position, its only the two driver/passenger side lights also. For instance.. during the day, all three brake lights turn on just fine. But when I am driving around at night, and all the lights are working.. I step on the brake.. and I only get the center brake light.. the other two just turn off. Any ideas/ suggestions? Thanks
    The 99-04 JGC has had problems with both right and left side brake lamps. The circuitry in the each light is what's causing your problem. When water and the elements get to the circuits, they burn out. Unfortunately, I and quite a few people were unsuccessful at finding a cheaper way to remedy the problem other than buying new taillights. At my local dealer here in Memphis, they run about $150 each.
  • gccambridgegccambridge Member Posts: 24
    Question on real world MPG experience of folks with an 2005 JGC... 3.7 L V6 (same engine as the Liberty)...

Compared to the Liberty, the JGC has 5spd auto (versus 4spd), weighs a couple hundred pounds less, has spent enormous time in the wind tunnel, and isn't as tall...

AND yet, its MPG is 17 city / 21 highway - the SAME as the Liberty.

It doesn't seem to add up? Does the Quadra Drive make it all the more thirsty?

Just curious. Thanks!
  • blanksterblankster Member Posts: 29
    My climate control on my 2004 Grand Cherokee sound like they are grinding nuts... Every time I turn it on and off it goes crunch.. Had it serviced once and now its doing it again. Anyone else with a similar problem?
  • boosted82boosted82 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado, bought it with about 96K miles on it. So, I have been hearing a rattling sound under the hood when the car is running, I look at the fan and it is wobbling. So there seems to be alot of play in that pulley. Now my question is, is this just the pulley seperating? Or do you think its the water pump starting to fail? I have also noticed that it leaks coolant while at idle or just while the car is on, no much a slow drip.. but that is still more then I want. Any pointers would be great. Thanks
  • dlcleavksdlcleavks Member Posts: 20
    This occured on my '02 Overland...a mixing door in the dash was the culprit...and after a $800 repair bill, it was quiet for about a month and is now driving me nuts again.
  • jeepinjoeszjjeepinjoeszj Member Posts: 27
    I have a '94 Grand Cherokee. It has appx 220,000 miles on the original 5.2L V8. I recently found an oil leak on the passenger side of the motor, I cannot however pinpoint exactly where it is coming from. I've changed my vavle cover gaskets(I don't know how I did it) but that did nothing. I've heard that it could be the Oil Pressure Switch. However, I own the Haynes Repair Manual and it has nothing in it about the oil pressure switch or an oil sending unit. If anyone happens to know or have had a similar problem and know the solution PLEASE let me know.
    Is the oil leaking towards the rear of the passenger side? If so, it could be your rear main seal. This repair is costly. Just on edmunds some people were paying $1500-$3000 for the repair. Some shops say its this much because they have to pull the tranny. Go figure
    Yes the oil is leaking in that general area. I've pretty much ruled out the rear main. B/c it is coming from a place high than that on the back of my block. But however if it is the rear main, I plan on doing it myself. Thankfully in the '94 Grand the tranny isn't that much of an obstacle. I've heard that the oil pressure switch on the 318 in bored into the back of the block and if it goes bad it will give symptoms similar to mine. AND, its not that costly a repair so I will try that first and foremost. Thanks for your help and input. Any more suggestions?
    The only other thing I can think of is if it's not the oil pan gasket, then it must be the switch
  • janzjanz Member Posts: 129
    So, did you get the Jeep?

I have a '99 V8 QDII and the tow package and a few years ago we towed our 18" trailer on a 6 hour trip. Traveling the freeway, especially as we passed the semi trailers, we noticed quite a bit amount of sway and pull from the trailer. The Jeep has a fairly short wheelbase and a fair amount of body roll with out a trailer on the back, and towing only increased this. And although I've read posts from those who say they have no problem, my husband swore he'd never tow with the Jeep again and hasn't. We use our Chevy truck for that now.

Just our experience. Good Luck!
    I hope you meant to say 18 foot trailer. Because 18" isn't a whole lot to tow. And as far as your husband having swaying problems from the trailer, he could've been overloaded. Remember these things can only tow about 7200 pounds, including the trailer. The Chevy was built for towing high-cap loads. I personally wouldn't use the Chevy to tow my doghouse. I found my Dodge to be the best tow vehicle in the pickup world. That aside, the Jeep w/V8 makes a great tow vehicle for loads under 7k. I have used my JGC to tow my boat with nary a problem. Sorry that your Jeep didn't work for you.
    I believe I found it! I was looking in the Haynes Repair Manual this morning, I was flipping through trying to find the oil pressure sending unit, and I found it! I didn't not know on the 5.2 where this little gadget was at until then. I went out to my truck and felt around for it and it was COVERED in oil. I felt around else where and all the oil seemed to be coming from there. So, I'm in the process of changing it(its pouring rain now, plus I need the socket for it). SO I should be able to know if that has got it as soon as I get it on.
    YES!!! That was it! I pulled the oil pressure sensor off in 2 pieces! So that has my problem taken care of.
    Good job, jeepinjoe. Glad it worked out for you.
  • dlcleavksdlcleavks Member Posts: 20
    I did upgrade my stock swaybars both front and rear to the Addco's which stopped alot of the body roll. I also tow various items under 7k and have had no problems.
    I did the exact same thing to my Overland and actually the ride is much better. No sway. No roll. No secondary body motions even in just normal driving. The highway ride is about as good as a car.
  • tthrasher2tthrasher2 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experineced a ticking noise during idle, (it is not a bomb) it does it all the time during idle,and has done it since I bought it new. When the engine is under a load it does seem to go away, when I say load, I mean setting the P-brake with it in "Drive" and reving the engine to about 1000 RPM.

And one other noise, only happens in cold weather (Philly, winter) but there is this valve under the hood near the left shock mount that has a wire connector going to it, and two; what I would assume are vacuum lines, that makes a heck of fast tapping noise when sitting at a stop light or at idle, it does not do it immediatley after coming to a stop but about 30 - 45 seconds. It is load and I have ispolated it and it is coming from this valve, any ideas why?

Thanks
  • rattleboxrattlebox Member Posts: 2
    It's the V8 with only 23,000 miles on it, has a tinny rattle sounds like a loose heat shield. All shields have been checked, the dealer has replaced the Catalytic converter, exhaust system, completely rebuilt the front differential, (new bearings etc.) replaced the transfer case with a new one. The rattle is on light acceleration from 10 mph to 30mph. It's louder when the motor is cold. Even after warm up sometimes it is louder then other times. The dealer has thrown their hands up.
  • horst1horst1 Member Posts: 33
    I am shopping for a SUV and the Jeep Grand Jerokee fits my size.
    Does anyone has enough information to give a honest opinion about gas millage and liability. 5.7L Hemi vs. 4.7L V8. perhaps also towing ability. Any comments are very much appreciated.
    Horst1
    As far as gas mileage goes... The 4.7 wont be much different from the 5.7 HEMI. This is because of the Jeeps size. So if you wanted something for power just go with the 5.7 Hemi and get a few mpg less(1-3mpg). But on the flip side...the 5.7 is a newer motor and setup, if you want a little more reliability go with the 4.7. Thats just my experience, I used to work at a Dodge/Jeep dealership so this is what I've seen.
  • wlm1wlm1 Member Posts: 2
    That has to be a typo. The rear seat isn't changing at all. My problem is the driver's seat. I'm trading in my 05 JGC next week after purchasing it this past July and only putting 5,000 miles on it. I find the driver's seat completely uncomfortable (leather), and the seating position is too high (probably due to the higher belt line that Chrysler is working into its models). My 60-mile roundtrip to work each day feels like I've driven 500 miles due to the uncomfortable seat.
  • tobintobin Member Posts: 6
    Have searched boards and not found this issue.
    My 98 GRC Laredo won't start when not driven for two or more days. Battery is brand new. Mechanic said there is a draw on the fuse that controls power for items that need to be on when car is turned off, radio, remote locks, alarm etc. Mechanic said to take it to Dealer to run tests and resolve issue. Mechanic unable to find anything. Dealer checked it and said everything is good. I even left it there for a weekend and they said it still started when not driven. I can charge battery and car runs..

This has been going on for months. Any ideas?
    I drove for a half hour to appointment and parked for 45 minutes. Came back to car and it would not start. Starter would turn over and car ran for a few seconds and stopped. Had towed to mechanic, on a flat bed. Car started. They cleaned the fuel injectors and throttle body. Nothing wrong found. Starter has been replaced. Electrical system worked fine at time.

Has this happened to anyone and is there a fix?
    When I drive at a constant speed on the freeway or surrface streets for about ten minutes the Jeep will loose power. The tach will drop about 300-500 rpms for a couple of seconds and bounce back to where it was. It will happen a few times in a row for about five minutes spaced a couple of minutes apart.

The fuel injectors and throttle body have been cleaned. Issue not resolved. The fuel pump has not been replaced.

Has this happened to anyone and how did you fix it?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sounds like a mess. While waiting for responses in here, browse through the "No Start" Problems discussion; maybe you'll get some ideas. Good luck!

Steve, Host
    Thanks! I'll check it out.
  • lem9lem9 Member Posts: 1
    I had a 1998 JCG 4X4 with an inline 6 which got between 17 to 22 mpg; traded that for a 2001 JCG V8 not 4x4 and averaged 16 mpg. Once again just traded in - after MUCH agonizing as I LOVED the past two jeeps. . .but was not so fond of the new body style. . Ultimately went for it and got the 2005 JGC Rocky Mountain V8 4x4. . .i am averaging like 10.4 MGP!!!!! And I am not driving crazy or spending too much time in a lot of traffic. I DID NOT get the Hemi for fear of the low gas mileage. . I might as well have. I thought that the 2005 V8 was the same engine as I had before. . .but apparently I am mistaken? There's been what? some new "german engineering" added that has lowered the mpg? Are other people getting mileage this low? Or have I maybe acquired a lemon?? I am BUMMED. :(
    I believe I found the problem. The under the hood light had become detached and dangled remaining on. There is evidence on the plastic cover that the light has been on for extended periods of time. The plastic is burned and melted.

I removed the light and had not driven the Jeep for a week. Battery shows no drain and car starts quickly.
  • stevernstevern Member Posts: 41
    Since my current 03 JGC lease is ending soon, I am beginning to look into my next vehicle. On the wk jeeps website, there is a news update (from September) that states in December 05, Jeep will begin producing the JGC Laredo with the Hemi option.

Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks, Steve.
  • tomnobletomnoble Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 98 GRC Laredo. It only lasts for about 20 seconds then it kicks back in and starts driving Ok for a while. I was told that it was the fuel injectors and then I was told that it was the fuel pump, but nothing has been fixed yet. I am taking it to the shop soon to get it checked out. Did you ever get your issue resolved?
    I have not resolved the issue. I have found posts from other boards that suggest it is the fuel pump too. It was mentioned that the behavior occurs when the tank is half full or less. I haven't driven to the half tank level and below yet.
  • frostyyfrostyy Member Posts: 52
    I have owned a 2000 GC Ltd, a 2002 Overland, and a 2004 Overland. They have all had relatively low mileage when I traded them; however, I never had any problems with them and I really enjoyed driving them all....especially the 2004 which I thought (and still think) was (is) one of the best-looking SUV's on the market...

...I am very curious about the 2006 Overland and I am wondering if any current owners could comment on their driving experience with it compared to the earlier versions (if they did own earlier versions of this model)...

...also I would be interested in hearing from any current owners of the 2005/06 GC (any model) on their likes/dislikes and driving experience...
  • jeep4jeep4 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a brand new 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited any haven't had any problems besides the power window motors. 3 out of the 4 window motors have already been replaced !!!and they keep replacing them with the same obviously faulty motor ?!?! Does anyone have any suggestions before my warranty runs out and the replacements start coming out of my pocket ? Maybe a different motor or how to fix the old one when it goes out because from my experience with them they will fail. Thanks Kirk
  • frostyyfrostyy Member Posts: 52
    I am hoping Daimler/Chrysler puts a diesel in the 07 or 08 GC (especially the Ltd and Overland) to boost fuel economy and range...I would definitely buy one...
  • transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    According to wkjeeps.com, DC will have a Diesel option for the JGC in 2007 or 2008. I don't know why it's taking so long to get it here in America--it's been available in foreign markets for over a year now. I'm also waiting for the Dynamic Handling System, because without it the JGC doesn't corner as well as it should.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I test drove a JGC Limited 5.7 today. Some observations: I didn't notice the problem with driver seat headroom that all reviewers comment on (I'm 5'11"); I didn't see where the back seat was as awful as all reviewers report; I thought the ride smoothness and quietness were good; I didn't think the quality of the interior was as awful as has been reported; and I thought the power seemed less than I expected. One criticism that I've read from all reviewers is right on: the unsettled ride on a curvy road. For a year the press has been told that a "Dynamic Handling System" is going to be implemented on the JGC. Evidently it hasn't happened yet. Does anybody know whether it is ever going to be implemented?
  • t40tt40t Member Posts: 1
    Although I've built several computers, I've never messed with the internal workings of a car before. The battery of my 1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo TSI died from lack of use. It has become my secondary car. I just bought a new battery today, but I couldn't remove the old one. I got the terminals removed, but there's housing around the battery and an attach metal bar thing. It's all got corroded stuff around it, and I'm not sure what kind of tool I should use, and what part to dismantle. Maybe a hex wrench, but I don't know. Any ideas?
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    If you have jeeps secerity key you have to make sure that it reads the key

ixplanes it in your oners manual
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Most batteries are held in by a bracket that is screwed into the bottom of the battery casing with a hexhead bolt, anywhere from 3/8" to 9/16" and this is only an estimate from me...hopefully it is not metric...

You will probably need a rachet set with a 6-9" extension to reach down there, assuming I am right on the type of bracket...you may need a wire brush to remove the corrosion so the socket will fit over the bolt head...

And, I may be wrong in all of this...:):):)
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    I'm the current owner of a '97 GC Laredo (ZJ) with 120k miles which I really love. It has not given me one lick of trouble since I purchased it with 60k three years ago.

I have just one question: Is it true that DaimlerChrysler hired Porsche to do some consulting work on the body design of the 1999-04 WJ models?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I found this:

"Porsche Engineering, in Troy, Mich., was brought in at the beginning of the program to optimize the body structure for strength, mass and cost. "They applied `holistic' design practices," says Mike Doman, "using the entire body-in-white to counteract load inputs." Porsche's six-month involvement created a virtual production engineering team comprised of Porsche senior and CAD engineers, their counterparts at Jeep, "and even some of our Tier 1s hired Porsche people to design stamped components." notes Doman."

findarticles.com

Steve, Host
  • tblank97tblank97 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97 JGC and it has so far been the best automobile i have ever had. i just bought a lift kit... and i have just installed a new sterio system... its one nice vehical
  • mykemmykem Member Posts: 203
    Hello. I recently (two days ago) purchased my first Jeep - a 2006 Silver Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4.

I also own a 2001 Black Chrysler 300M and a 2001 Silver Sebring LX sedan (which we are selling to a family member).

So far, I like it a lot. I've been reading the last couple posts here and I'd like to share some comments.

For rcf8000:
    I'm 6'4 and the way I like to position my seat (front legs full up, posterior full down, seat back full up) I notice my head is almost uncomfortably close to the roof. If I recline some, it's still comfortable and I've gotten used to it already. However, the legroom is so spacious, I have to push my seat forward a couple inches whereas 99% of the other cars that's fully back as well.

For frostyy:
    As far as my driving experience, it's a little early to tell, but I am having a blast in it. Coming from a long line of owning cars and renting the occasional minivan when travelling, the 06 Overland is pretty impressive, to me at least. Driving it is quiet, and even though I've only had it on the highway a couple miles a day going to work, it seems quiet there as well.

Starting it up, and standing on the gas, I can tell it's a V8 from the roar, but to me that's a contributing reason to get the big V8.

Plus, I love it when I'm discussing the new car to everyone, and everyone seems to have the same interrupting, amazed response after I mention that it has a HEMI...

Anyway, I look forward to reading and hope to contribute when necessary.

-m
  • angelo32b4angelo32b4 Member Posts: 1
    Hello:

I’ve recently bought a new ’05 Grand Cherokee with a 3.7 engine. It was a demo model with 4200 miles. (They already fixed the recall involving the transmission tube.) I’ve put about 2000 miles on it and it has stalled on me about 15-20 times. It’s been to the dealer 4 times already and its going back on Monday. It stalls while I’m driving steadily at city speeds, and also when I’m slowing down or just about to drive away after starting it. It doesn’t make any indication on when it stalls and no instrument panel lights on. It just seems like someone just turned the car off, with no ability to steer and very hard to brake when it does. The dealer has been using it to shuttle people around when they have it and they haven’t been able to make it stall. This has been very frustrating, has anyone else had this problem and what can I do? My wife doesn’t even want to drive it b/c of this.

Thank you.