Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• chefechefe Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2005 5.7 Hemi, the important thing I took into consideration was the MDS system Multi displacement. I had a 1995, with 5.2 litre, and still have a 2000 with a 4.7. I love the Hemi, only have 3000 miles on it but as it get broken in it seems to be getting better gas milage hwy, in cruise the important factor. I'm hopping for 19,20 overall, most of our driving and all the research I did before buying the 5.7 let me to beleive 25 to 26 Hwy,( note in cruise if possibel), 15/16, city, 20/21 overall.
    My 2000, 4.7 litre get 19 overall, 22 hwy, 17/18 city againg we are not heavy footed
  • fengelbertfengelbert Member Posts: 3
    I have an '03 jeep grand cherokee 2wd drv. It only has 41k miles and it has been a great vehicle. Yesterday the check engine light came on and I retrieved the code(on,off x 3) and it falshed this code p0601. I have did some looking on the net and have yet to find but one other who had the same. Any ideals or suggestions would be great and appreciated. The vehicle still drives great but the light is still on. Please Help....
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Check wjjeeps.com. This site has everything there is to know about the JGC, including the MIL problems.
    Thanks to all that helped. I took my jeep to the dealer today and they put it on the computer and found out that the spark plugs needed changing. The engine light came on due to a misfire in the spark plugs. it runs great and no engine light. it was a bit pricy though. 135$. I suggest to anyone to find out how much diagnoses cost first. The dealership in the next town to mine charged 70$ and they would not charge me that if they fixed it. The dealer here in town only charged 80$. So it pays to shop around. Also the kind of spark plugs make a big difference. Champions or NGK's. Thanks again and perhaps this info will be useful to someone else.
    I spoke too soon. Last night the check engine light came on again. :cry: :confuse: I took the jeep back to the dealer and they called and said that it was a Get this" PCM internal control module failure". Not the frigging 135$ spark plugs that they said initially. :mad: She did tell me this part was covered by jeeps 8yr 80k miles powertrain and emission controls warranty. I will be negotiating a refund for labor or full reimbursement or 5 free oil changes. If you have this error p0 0601, better take a strong look at who you take it too and be willing to have another mechanic to change your spark plugs or do it yourself. Thanks. :mad:
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Member Posts: 103
    I'm seriously looking at a Grand Cherokee, crappy mileage and all, (the 4.7 drives so nicely, much smoother than my current Saab wagon!) but one thing that concerns me is the rear seatbelts. When I have my 6 year old in his booster seat (just the bottom seat), the shoulder belt sits out about 2-3 inches out from his chest instead of hugging it. I'm wondering if it will be effective in the event of a crash. Most belts come across the body and fit snugly. Any parents out there who can comment on this?????
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Member Posts: 103
    Turns out, the seatbelts fit better across my son's chest than I remembered. They do sit out a little far at the top of the shoulder belt, but then slides across the chest fine. So we bought it! A GC Ltd. 4x2 in light khaki.
  • flip58flip58 Member Posts: 5
    I have a new (4500 miles) JGC 2006 with a 4.7L engine. Two questions: When can I switch to synthetic oil, and which brand should I use? Also, what are my options to squeak some more HP out of this engine, without getting to involved? What was different with the 4.7L HO that Jeep used to offer? How did they get the extra ponies? Thanks.
    not great, got 2005 6 months ago with 5 miles on it no DVD but loaded otherwise 28,100.
    our 3rd GCL 95V8 just sold with 192000, currently have 2000V8 with 4.7 gave my son who was driving 95, 2005 GCL Hemi 4400 miles on hwy in cruise 26.5 mpg, just one idea I may want to convay, being Associated with a very large aftermarket parts co and knowing price of repair, I decided to purchase best warrantee program chrysler offers at the time 7 year 100,000 miles cheap insurance intricate systems cost a lot to repair.
    at 65 on the hwy, using cruise getting 26.5 not completely broken in yet 4400 miles, 2005 with hemi, over all though same or a little better then you about 16.5 mpg, not like my 4.7GCL average 19.5 overall
    I towed a 21 foot boat with my 4.7 I feel it was weak, cut my milage in half, and I only towed to boat 50 miles,it just had to work to hard. I still own the 2000 JGC limited and love it, but for towing got 2005 with 5.7 Hemi, now boat does not even phase it. If towing is your concern stick wi9th the pick up.
    good luck, I would install at least a transmission cooler.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • kylitokylito Member Posts: 17
    Hi I am currently planning on trading in my 2000 300M on a JGC around the 2000 to 2002 model. Can anybody tell me there experiences with these years.
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • frostyyfrostyy Member Posts: 52
    Just wondering if anybody will be looking to purchase the diesel version of the Grand Cherokee in 07...

Personally, I am looking forward to a test drive and I may trade-in my Hemi for the Mercedes diesel....better gas mileage and longer distance between fill-ups...longer engine life...

....sounds good...
  • aylasslingshotaylasslingshot Member Posts: 1
    Mine is doing the same thing. I put a new motor in it and one mechanic says that these Jeeps are known for fauly crank sensors. The other mechanic says that it is the computer. Let me know if you have figured out the problem and I'll do the same.
  • enegmaenegma Member Posts: 7
    If you have changed the thermostat and it still does not heat, the problem is probably the Heater Core. It is located between the front dash and firewall of the vehicle. It could be leaking. The coolant flows through the radiator through the engine block through the water pump and the heater core. Also if the water pump is bad or sticks that will affect heating as well. Here is what to do:

Start vehicle and remove radiator cap. Run until the coolant level in the radiator starts flowing when the thermostat opens at 195 degrees. If you see no coolant flowing after 30 minutes you may have blockage in the water pump or heater core. To test shut off vehicle and remove heater hoses from heater core ports at firewall.Then butt the hoses together with some copper tubing and clamp tight.Start engine and again with the radiator cap removed look for flow in radiator. If still no flow water pump is bad, if coolant is flowing, then heater core is bad. Replacing heater core requires removing the front dash to replace. That will cost you around $300.00, mostly labor and maybe $100.00 for heater core. The test verifies the function of thermostat, water pump and heater core in the coolant path. The other problem is obvious leaking fluid from hoses(radiator and heater)or crack in engine block. Hope that helps.
  • blanksterblankster Member Posts: 29
    No but at $2.23/ Gal I did. I just bought an '07 Overland due to someone offering me a good price on my 2004 LTD.
  • snapcracklepopsnapcracklepop Member Posts: 111
    Thats awesome I like the new Overland
  • harry0harry0 Member Posts: 42
    My low beams seem to be bothering oncoming traffic. One out of every 30 to 40 cars flash there high beams at me although I have my low beams on. I have been back to the dealer to have them check the lights out. The dealer says everything is fine but I’m not so sure. The low beams do seem very bright to me and they seem to aim up much higher and brighter than my 2003 Chevy pickup. The low beams also light up the interior of the cars coming from the other direction.
    Has anybody else noticed this on there Jeeps?

2006 Jeep
    http://rides.webshots.com/album/548697188kmhzhY
  • jday2jday2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 jgc overland. My heat or ac does not work. The blower works fine, the thermostat is ok, as well as the heater core. I believe the problem lies in the vacuum system. The flaps that open to allow the cool or hot air to pass through are not opening. The heat didn't work for 2 months and then worked for 2 days, and now hasn't worked for 8 months. The temperature of the air that blows is accurate with the temperature outside. I have taken the jeep to three different mechanics, and not one of them could figure out the source of the problem. Any suggestions? I'm freezing my [non-permissible content removed] off.
  • blanksterblankster Member Posts: 29
    There are known problems with the blender doors failing on WJ Jeeps with the dual zone climate control. See WJJEEPS.COM.
  • hayhow1hayhow1 Member Posts: 3
    try tracing down all the small vacuum lines. pay close attention to the ones that run under the battery, make sure they dont have any breaks in them.
  • frostyyfrostyy Member Posts: 52
    Update on Diesel Grand Cherokee Production:

Production on the 2007 diesel Grand Cherokee has been pushed back until Feb. 22/07....
  • jeepinjoeszjjeepinjoeszj Member Posts: 27
    My 1994 5.2 just did this today, I turned it on it idled smooth for about 10-15 secs and cut off. No sputtering no "stalling" just cut straight off, as if I had turned the ignition off. And it will not start back, it turns over just won't start. I haven't had a good chance to look at it yet and am just looking to find the best place to start. I believe it to be an electrical problem, be it a fuse or relay or short. Dunno yet. Any ideas?
    The problem could be the ECM (Engine Control Module)which is located on the right side of the engine near the distributor. It will be sealed in black rubberized epoxy. This is a sealed unit and cannot be repaired.You need to get a code reader to verify what code comes up. That will point you to the problem area. The other cause could be your timing chain or belt since it will no longer start.

Cost for replacing timing chain or belt $350.00 approx.
    Cost for replacing ECM (new) $650.00 (junkyard) $200.00

Since your vehicle is a 1994 and depending your mileage and how frequently you change your oil, I would suspect the timing chain first. ECM rarely fail. I hope this helps. :)
  • holey24holey24 Member Posts: 2
    I had the EXACT same thing happen to my Jeep (same Jeep as well) and I replaced the ECM..and now I'm getting the same probs all over again..with added extras!! Were you able to solve your problem? If so could you let me know..thanks
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    Timing chains are also a almost never fail item. If you did not hear any unusual noises when it shut down I would be more likely to suspect an electrical problem.
  • dkz1dkz1 Member Posts: 1
    I too have the exact same problem with my '05 Grand Cherokee. I believe that JEEP knows there is a standing problem because the first several times I took the car in for the problem, I was also having standard oil changes, etc., and at no time did any of the dealerships ever document that I was bringing it in for the stalling issue. Now, two years later, they are saying there is no history of it. My car stalls mostly at slow down or when I am excelerating from a stop, which has caused several "close calls". It started out being once in a while and has increased to almost everyday. It is only a matter of time before a major accident occurs and I am fearful. I have been told by one dealership in Huntington Beach, CA that there is no reason to even bring it in because it is a random occurance that is not showing up on the computer and so there is nothing they can do for me. I am going to leave the car this week with another dealership in Cerritos, CA and tell them I will not be picking it up until it is fixed! Please email me at dkz@socal.rr.com and I will keep you posted as I am going to try to use the lemon law to get a refund!!
    Debbie
  • jeeptsijeeptsi Member Posts: 8
    I have been told by a couple of mechanics to replace the battery with a new one. That it would solve the problem due to no codes on your ECM. something about the battery not putting out enough current to run everything.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    I'm considering buying a new 2007 Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4. I took one for a test drive yesterday and liked it although I must admit to being concerned about reliability. My list of contenders is pretty much whittled down to the Jeep and, believe it or not, the Hyundai Santa Fe Limited. Without getting into the pros and cons of each vehicle, I have a few Qs regarding the Jeep:

- Can the factory navigation unit be dealer-installed in a 2007 that came from the factory without navigation?

- Are the steering wheel cruise control buttons illuminated at night?

- What kind of real-world gas mileage are folks with the 4.7 liter V8 getting?

- Are there any common reliability issues that I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help!

- Mike
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    I am seriously considering buying a 2007 GC Laredo, AWD with V6 (3.7L) engine.

1) I am curious to know the real workd mileage in city driving?

2) Any known problems with the 2007 model?

Thanks!
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Most of the transmission complaints have been from GC 4WD owners.

Any known transmission/stalling issues with the 2WD GC (2005 & 2006 model years)?

Thanks!
  • rich64rich64 Member Posts: 1
    Trying to fit some lateral roof bars. Do I need to remove the plastic end covers on the rails to be able to slide bars on? Any clues on how to remove these (if necessary) without damaging them?
    Thanks in advance
    I currently own a '01 JGC Laredo w/4.0L 2WD powertrain. Aside from brakes, the power window failure and the crazy death wobble issues, it has been surprisingly a good SUV. BUT.......................

At times, when crusing at around 70 mph, the transmission seems to slip in and out of overdrive, not really bad, but it is noticeable. I was wondering if any of you guys were experiencing any of the same issues. Not sure if it's a sensor or not as it shifts fine any other time, no stalling issues or anything of that nature. It has 121k highway miles on it. Any suggestions or help is definitely appreciated in advance. Thanks...
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    have you changed the trans fluid?
    Yep. I do it every 25k miles. Just recently changed about 3 months ago.

BUT, since then, that's when it has started. Great idea. Thanks
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    do you change it yourself?
    if so you could have installed the filter wrong has to be installed right
    if you have the 45rfe trans you put the o ring seal on the oil pump then install filter (don't install on filter put on pumppick up) also did you use the right trans fluid? atp type 3 plus or atf type 4 (not dextron Repeat not dextron)
  • 07overland07overland Member Posts: 1
    I have no idea if I am in the right forum, but I need some help. I bought a 2007 JGC Overland February 11, 2007. As of right now, my Overland is back at the dealer for the 4th time because of the check engine light coming on. Every time I take it in, they tell me that the problem "is the O2 sensor, but it can't be that because we have already replaced it" they keep the car from either 2 days to 7 days and then return it to me. Of course the light is off, but within 2-4 weeeks, the light is on again and back to the dealer I go....... This time, I am dealing with the service manager at the dealer, and a letter will be going direct to corporate back East (I believe) Does anyone have any thoughts??? :lemon:
  • farmer52farmer52 Member Posts: 61
    Has anyone installed a brake controller on a 2005 Grand Cherokee? I have the factory installed trailer towing package. Is there a connector under the dash? If so, does a Dodge connector work? If no connector, where are the wires located? TIA
  • kara5272kara5272 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced transmission slippage around 70 mph? It seems to slip in and out of overdrive. The transmission works fine shifting through the lower gears and works fine. The fluid level is good and the fluid color is pink (not burnt). Can anyone recommend a solution other than getting the transmission rebuilt? I would like to avoid this expense if possible. Is it necessary to replace the filter when changing the transmission fluid or just go with one of those flushes recommended by the oil change vendors? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    You may want to give Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems a try.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Check when the slipping takes place. Under load when towing and at lower speeds. When it is cold at 70 miles per hour or hot at 70 miles per hour. Does climate affect in anyway? Below 50 degrees F or above 80 degrees? You need to pay close attention to when it happens. Your statement leaves out the conditions when you experienced the problem. Verify this first.

Then depending on your mileage and whether you are towing a boat on a regular basis, yes changing the fluid and filter is the best idea. Even flushes require a filter change. Do that second.

Then if it still occurs....

Your problem could be the Transmission control switch or sensor that talks to the computer in your vehicle. If it is intermittent(electrical connection) or temperature sensitive(i.e. only slipping when transmission is running hot or cold, or when transitioning from cold running to warm running to normal operating temperature)it could cause the problem your having. However you will need a dealer or transmission shop to verify it. Dusty road conditions, vibration, water, sandy conditions could make the connections intermittent. The transmission control switch is usually located under the vehicle mounted to the transmission housing. If it does not do it at low speeds, have a mechanic check for loose connections or even shorted wiring harness that could be touching the engine chassis.

Talk to a mechanic about the issue using my recommendations and write down what you observe. Then that will give him a better idea of where to look. Chances are your transmission will not need to be rebuilt. This is just 2007.You model year was built in 2004. Transmission don't go out in 3 years. If your vehicle has something is really wrong. :lemon: I hope what I have stated helps. :)
  • kara5272kara5272 Member Posts: 2
    This condition occurs during regular driving on the streets or freeways at anytime the speed gets above the range where it should shift into overdrive (55 ~ 65mph). The slipping is only in and out of overdrive after the car has warmed up (normal operating temp). The average outdoor temp range is 55 - 75 this past week when the problem began.

I've read a few other experiences where the transmission filter should be changed and the "O" ring installed properly. Is anyone familiar with this solution?
    Kara,

Yes, there are two seals or O-Rings for the overdrive piston in your transmission. If they are worn they need to be replaced. Since the speed range you mentioned between 55-75 will engage the overdrive, this is a area that could cause the problem. The short answer is to service the Overdrive Clutch Unit. That will require the transmission to be removed and this unit removed to be rebuilt. Inside this unit it has many seals and O-Rings that affect the overdrive unit. Here is the list:

Overdrive Clutch-Clutch Pack Worn- rebuild of clutch pack
    Overdrive Piston or Seal malfunction-Either a worn piston or seal(Transmission must be disassembled)
    Overdrive Piston-Retainer Bleed Orifice worn (Transmission must be disassembled)
    Overdrive Shift valve,Timing Valve or accumulator malfunction- Valve body has worn accumulator seals requires overhaul of valve body

Only two conditions require the transmission to be disassembled. Either way it is not going to be cheap.

I would replace the filter and fluid immediately and drive under the same conditions you mentioned as see if that corrects the problem. :confuse: If not then the other issues need to be explored further. :sick:
  • casolorzcasolorz Member Posts: 88
    Can someone tell me what all the differences between the 07 and 08 nav are? other than the hard drive.
    Thanks.
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/grandcherokee/2008/review.html

Search is your friend. The above page has the changes for 2008.

And as a bonus it won't get my post deleted :)