Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• casolorzcasolorz Member Posts: 88
    I will never get why people reply "use google", "search is your friend", "why do you want to do that". If you don't know the answer then don't reply. I already spent some time searching and then I thought the answer will probably be better from an actual owner.
    I am looking for a comprehensive comparisons between the two nav systems. One is hard drive based, the other is not, what else? I have seen nav systems that all they do is nav and I have seen some that will give you info about the car, control the temperature, etc.

So I want to know, is it worth spending the money on an 08 with nav if nav is a very important feature to me? or will the 07 with nav do just fine for me?
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    There is a very good website that is dedicated only to the WK Jeep. When I was buying, I found it by searching on google. My previous post got deleted, so I won't mention the site again.

Only you can decide if it's worth it or not. For me it was.

MyGig navigation and bluetooth is very cool (and free at the moment due to a Jeep promotion). The hard drive should be faster than the DVD version. Plus you can upload your own songs. However, I never used the 07 Navi.

The HID lights were a must for me, so the 07 was not even an option. For you the lights might not be as important.

The interior is supposed to be nicer in the 08s than in the 07s. I didn't see the 07, but I quite like the 08.

Finally, I got the new generation 4.7L, which is more powerful and more efficient than the 07.

For me, it was a no brainer decision to go with the 08. For you? I have no idea. You can't go wrong either way.
    Thanks for the reply, much more helpful :-)

Does the bluetooth (the other must have feature for me) interact with the navigation screen at all?
    Is the 4.7L e85 always or do you have to request it like that? On the old jeep I think you had the option for it not to be e85 at no cost which I never understood why wouldn't you want it to also do e85 if it was the same cost.
    As I found out the hard way, the E85 option is not available in all states. Very very small print on the Jeep website says that "* Flexible-fuel engine not available in CA, VT, NY, MA, ME, RI, CT and PA. " I'm in CA. It's standard in the rest of the states.

Yes, the bluetooth interacts with the navigation screen. When you look up POI, it has an option to call. Is that what you meant?
    Wow thats odd, I'll have to make sure I don't buy the car in any of those states.

I guess now I have to read to see what people have been getting as price for the limited trim with nav, towing, 4x4. I am hoping to get it close to invoice before the rebates, we'll see.
  • 05rubisahara05rubisahara Member Posts: 25
    I am strongly considering a 2008 GC Limited. However, I know that they have had a long running problem with front brake rotors warping. Does anyone know if this problem still exists?

Harlan
    That's exactly the car I factory ordered. I got invoice minus $3000 rebates and free MyGig. Several dealers were willing to match that price and there was no trade involved.

I've heard of several people in other forums (which shall not be mentioned here :-) for $500 under invoice.
    I am strongly considering a 2008 GC Limited. However, I know that they have had a long running problem with front brake rotors warping. Does anyone know if this problem still exists?

The latest brake recall didn't affect the 08s. And it was just b/c some rotors were manufactured with weak materials. As far as I know there was no warping involved in the recall.
  • kmausskmauss Member Posts: 72
    Hello! I am a single lady who has always owned sedans, and is contemplating a switchover some time in the next year or two to an SUV for several reasons -- hauling capacity, bad weather driving and because I've gotten to like the feeling of sitting up higher while driving. Part of me has always secretly wanted a Jeep. However, I have had two radically different sets of experiences - not personal, just friends and family. My brother has a Jeep Wrangler he bought new in 1977 and still has to this day. The poor thing has almost 250,000 miles on it, and still putts along. On the other hand, I've had two cousins and a friend who have bought Jeeps (all Cherokees, I think ) and have sworn NEVER AGAIN because they've had nothing but problems. I have heard the same sorts of things in passing from many other people.

It seems that people either have the Jeep that will run absolutely forever with no big issues, or they have a nightmare, and nothing in between. Am I exaggerating or not understanding the issue? I would LOVE to have a vehicle that if maintained well, I could just depend on for about the next 15 years.

What say you, Jeep Cherokee owners? Is it a matter of good maintenace, or is it a matter of luck what you end up with? Was there a run of a few bad years and the bugs are ironed out? Is it certain models?

Not looking at trading vehicles any time soon, just considering all my options. Info and opinions appreciated!

Many thanks! :)
    HI there. Reliability has improved quite a bit. The latest generation (WK) came out on 2005. buying a first year models are always a bad idea -- regardless of the car.

I have a 2008 and not only has it been very reliable, it's been a great pleasure to drive. They have lifetime powertrain warranty.

There's going to be a redesign in 2010. Not sure how different it will be from today's model because of gas prices, etc. If you like the current one, you might want to pull the trigger for a 2009 at the latest. Remember, don't buy a first year model :)

Best of luck. It is an awesome SUV. My only regret is not getting the Quadradrive II (I "just" have Quadratrack II).

Feel free to ask any questions. And don't rely on my opinion. Do your research. Oh, and as a bonus it's an awesome time to get a great price on one right now.
  • kmausskmauss Member Posts: 72
    Thank you Verdugo! I would probably be looking at next year at the earliest -- it wouldn't financially make sense right now no matter how good the deals are. I'm only a little over a year into a 3 year lease, so I'd be eating a good chunk of very low lease payments. I got caught by surprise last spring -- I had a car that was having major problems and I had to make a fast decision or spend a ton of money, so I didn't have much time to do any kind of research or even test driving. :sick: So having the luxury of a car under warranty and VERY low payments, I want to take full advantage of the time to look around and make sure when I trade again, I get exactly what I want.

By the way, that Lifetime Powertrain Warranty -- how good is it? How much does it cover? It sounds good in theory, but if it doesn't cover some major 'stuff' that can go wrong, what's it worth?

Anyway, thanks again and hope to hear from other owners. Much appreciated! :)
    Karen
  • crazyjeep2003crazyjeep2003 Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 jeep seems to be doing the same thing. Did you ever find out what the problem was? No one has been able to help, check engine light has just come on. Auto Zone could not tell me anything, no code showed up on computer.
    By the way, that Lifetime Powertrain Warranty -- how good is it? How much does it cover? It sounds good in theory, but if it doesn't cover some major 'stuff' that can go wrong, what's it worth?

It covers everything related to the drive train. It is only applicable to the first owner, you can't transfer it when you sell the car. It requires a free inspection every 5 years.

Check this out. http://www.jeep.com/en/lifetime_powertrain_warranty/
  • elevatemanelevateman Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a used 2005 grand Cheroke, the car has been kept immaculate, serviced regularly,but it has 95,000 miles on it. Are jeeps known to run long after 100,000? I'm looking at it to be my daughters first car so it needs to be dependable. any input would be appreciated!!
  • trek87trek87 Member Posts: 49
    I have a '98 GC with 142K. Still runs like new, but I've been pretty religious about preventative maintenance. I won't drive anything else in the snow.

Good luck.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    have 2000 jgc has 193000 miles and no prob service my self
  • mikeyp53mikeyp53 Member Posts: 55
    I have a Grand Cherokee 2004 with V8. Still under 7/70 warranty for drivetrain. Chrysler has never quibbled about my two warranty issues, steering cloumn and front differential. Make sure you keep you repair bills and you are fine. You need to show your repair/maintenance records for the 5 year inspection. Real question is when they go bankrupt, how long is a lifetime?
  • barnettr0226barnettr0226 Member Posts: 1
    When trying to exit the car the key gets stuck in the ignition. The key will start the car, and then stop the car, but won't come out of the ignition. It is stuck in the position just before the accessories are turned on.
  • debramcgeedebramcgee Member Posts: 7
    I had the same thing happen on my 4th day of ownership, then a locksmith told me to remove the rubber cover over the shifter's button you press to shift gears. It gets stuck and won't completely go into park so the key won't come out. So simple. But worth the $25 the locksmith charged to come out.
  • kgw1505kgw1505 Member Posts: 1
    Well finely, I have a problem with my WJ, it wont start'' at all ''LOL''' really, :sick: My old manual said if you dont hear the fuel pump then check the relays and fuse's and if your pretty confedient, that's not it replace the fuel pump, Well I checked and re- checked , and replace the fuel pump, and that's still not it'' I found the right colored wire's to the fuel pump and jumped it, at the relay box'' or ''PDC''' and tryed to start it, Well theres to many things going on here ! . Theres no code's, no guage's and I thought for sure at least'' I could here it start . there's no fire'' So now it look's like, the PCM I need some help
  • rickp5rickp5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee which I recently inherited from my parents. Love the vehicle but noticed that during tight turns, primarily into parking spots, the front wheels jump, skip, etc. Didn't think much of it due to postings here that on older 4 WD that was possible.
    However it proceeded to get worse so much so that at times I could not pull into a space with the wheels turned, would have to back up and straighten them a bit. Almost felt like something was going to break.
    Took in to a shop and they replaced the front wheel u-joints. That took care of the not being able to pull into a spot with the wheels turned like I wanted to, but I still feel that jump or skips when making slow tight turns or circles.
    Is this normal or is there possibly more repairs to be made to the front end?
  • trek87trek87 Member Posts: 49
    I don't have enough information to guess what specific issues you might have with your front end. But I have a '98 GC that displayed similar traction issues, and it turned out that my transfer case (the main culprit was the viscous coupler) was just burned out (happens if you do enough snow driving like I do with full-time 4WD at 142K). After I got a new case put in, the issue was gone, and handling improved noticeably.

Another idea is to check the splines on the driveshafts, but now I'm getting into the realm where I'm BS'ing.

A rep. at the transfer case company I ordered the part through told me that sometimes the viscous couplers inside transfer cases get stiff, so you might (gently) try some 8's in an empty parking lot to see if that helps. Good luck!
  • tcjefftcjeff Member Posts: 23
    I have been looking at some used Grand Cherokees - under $10,000 - for primary use as a "snow day" vehicle here in Colorado. Years have ranged from '96 to '02. Are there certain years, models, or engine types to avoid? I have heard negative things about Grand Cherokees but there seems to be a lot of high-mileage ones around.
    thanks
  • enegmaenegma Member Posts: 7
    I recommend the 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 6 cylinder 242 engine. The slant six engine is almost indestructible and easy to service. I bought mine brand new in 1997 and I have 204,000 miles on it and just recently had to replace my U-joints. That is the major repair I have had. I never took mine to the dealer for anything.I have done my own maintenance meaning changing belts, hoses, oil, x-mission fluids, rear axle fluids, wiper blades and brakes. Head lamps and driving lights and bulbs that is it. I used only 100 percent synthetic oils usually Castrol Syntec, replace original factory battery with a Diehard. The Diehard Battery lasted until 2007 bought it in 1998. So this has been my luck and my Jeep has been all around the country in the mountains, deserts, through mud, snow and rain and this is a 2 wheel drive vehicle. That is my dollar's worth of info for you. My mileage 95 percent highway miles. :)

Most people who have negative complaints usually know very little about cars and will complain about little things. Up keep is essential to ownership of any vehicle.You can't own a vehicle and not spend money to keep it up and running.You find most of those complaints come from poor vehicle maintenance that show as real problems later. There have been some real lemons :lemon: but generally if you do regular maintnance and replace the items that affect the ride, braking,tuneups ups it should not matter which one you get. I bought mine new so I know everything about my vehicle so if I sold it would be one owner.

My suggestion find a one owner vehicle, get a CARFAX report,get a private mechanic,choose someone who has service records,verify that most miles are highway(That would be hard to prove but ask anyway),MAKE SURE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION ARE IN GOOD SHAPE(Hence the Mechanic). Whatever you get replace brakes, shocks,belts and hoses, change all fluids and coolant. These things will be the first to go. Check charging system, tuneup, and get diagnostic tester for the ODBII connector input and run a check on the vehicle health. That will let you know what is needed and then you have some comfort knowing vehicle is okay. Good luck :)
  • tcjefftcjeff Member Posts: 23
    Good advice, thank you.
  • 2000jgc2000jgc Member Posts: 2
    UPDATE: I still have the 2000k JGC-it has 210k miles and is running strong! Love it- and won't replace until I see what Jeep comes out with for 2011. If it's not good- I will look at the GMC Terrain- or the Toyota 4Runner!
  • 1988ryankraft1988ryankraft Member Posts: 1
    i have 1 question...how much hp at the wheels does a 00 jeep grand cherokee limited 4.7 have
  • xc90508xc90508 Member Posts: 26
    What's going on with the 2011 Grand Cherokee? I first heard spring 2010, then July, now September. Why the delay? What's going on? What about the new 6 cyl? Any delay on that beyond September? Any word on pricing? I hear they want it to be more luxury. I assume that means more $$$.
  • fatdadfatdad Member Posts: 1
    i have a 93 JGC and it shakes really bad but only when i hit a bump in the road while turning ill pull over and stop then it runs again does any one know whats wrong or can give me clue of where to start looking
  • enegmaenegma Member Posts: 7
    This commonly called "the death wobble".You will to start replacing front suspension parts. Check all your bushings.If you your vehicle is a 93, those bushings are as hard as rocks and probably cracking. Take it a and get a four wheel alignment and tell the service guy to check everything and tighten whatever needs to be tighten or adjusted. Sometimes they will ask you where do you think you have a problem on the vehicle and they only focus there.Make sure they check everything.Don't tell them whats wrong. let them perform the alignment.That is a cheap way of getting someone to look at it without spilling the beans. Don't them what you are experiencing, set if them wheel alignment will fix the problem. If it does not start looking at the track bar and or stabilzer bar and linkage. There bushing there that could be worn or a broken link. If you need to see a view of it, go to http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com and search for your vehicle. They have exploded views of parts down to the component you are looking for. It will give you a idea of what things look like.Good luck :surprise:
  • crownlinercrownliner Member Posts: 1
    I have 2001 GC. The passenger carpet is pooling with water when I run the ac. I have done some searches and have see pics of where to drill a hole for access for a 96 model. I was wondering if anybody knew a fix for the 01 model? Maybe a tube to look for? Just wondering if anything has changed or if drilling a hole to unclog is still the way to go. I'm not really sure where to drill? Thanks for any help provided.
  • simsamsimsam Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    I need help! I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee that grinds in the front end when turning in 2x4. I have replaced rotors, brakes, shocks, hubs, and cv axles on both sides. It seems to still be getting worse. Is there anything else left to change in the front?

Help please????? :cry:
  • jeepgirl63jeepgirl63 Member Posts: 1
    I am the 2nd owner -- purchased in 2007 with 37,000 mile. Jeep now has 101.000 mile. Has always run perfectly, except that the transmission is leaking somewhere so I have always had to be careful to make sure the fluid level is right. Last week, the car started having problems shifting gears. It usually starts after driving for about 5-10 miles, the check engine light is on. I called jeep, and told them what it is doing, they said to take it in, it probably just needs a fluid change and a differential fluid change. They also said for $90/hr they will diagnose the problem. Anybody have any other suggestions or having the same problems.
  • ryanjohnson12ryanjohnson12 Member Posts: 1
    Were you able to resolve the problem? I am having the same problem with my 2005 jeep grand cherokee.

http://www.automotive.com/2005/49/jeep/grand-cherokee/recalls/16664.html
  • 2010jgc2010jgc Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V6 4x4. I've never owned a Jeep so I would appreciate everyone's help.
    I've always used Premium gasoline 93-94 grade for all of my vehicles. I hear that Jeep recommends Regular 87 gas for its vehicles. I've been using premium gas since I purchased the vehicle. Please explain if this will damage my JGC, or why I should follow Jeep's recommendations, or if it's ok to countinue to use premium gas, etc. Thanks for all of your expert opinions!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    You can't hurt your vehicle by using a higher grade than recommended... The only negative result is the wasted money..

A vehicle tuned to run on regular will see no benefit from premium..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• militaryman88militaryman88 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2011
    i looked mine up and in excellent condition, a 93 jgc with the straight 6 and all options, is worth about half that. Offer him 3K, or tell him no deal. Tell him he can look it up himself. Jeeps are good if you know how to work on them. The only hard part is trouble shooting. I have kids as well and i understand where youre coming from. When i was driving mine, (93 jgc laredo 4.0), i was going about 60mph, and it started choking and sputtering. then it died. it sat for about 3 months. I put about $400 worth of parts into it, then my mechanic came back from out of town, only to find out (impossibly), the timing was off over 180 degrees. That was a simple fix. But i would say the 93 jgc with the straight 6 is a good car. I bought mine for $800, tag price, and out the door was $1100 and it had 175,000 miles on it. the condition it was in wasnt worth 1100, but i had 3 kids i needed the room for. after i put work into it, the condition its in now is worth about 2500, but to FINALLY answer your question, (im a chevy man myself) but yes, the 93 jgc is a great car, depending on the price, and if you have someone mechanically inclined look at it, is up to you. To give you an exact kbb price, it's only worth $3,730....
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2011
    Kelley is asking price so that may be too high. And it's hard for me to consider any car that age to be in "excellent" or "outstanding" condition.

TMV for my zip code puts the value way under your number. Dealer retail (without options) is around $1,400 for one in "clean" condition. You can appraise it yourself at that link.

Of course, we're replying to a 9 year old post, so that number may have been spot on at the time. The OP may have gone through three Jeeps by now. :shades:
  • militaryman88militaryman88 Member Posts: 3
    i didnt even consider looking at the date but thanks for letting me know i wasted my time! lol
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Bet you a nickel six Google/Bing searchers have already read it and are busy researching prices. :shades:
  • hardwarejimhardwarejim Member Posts: 3
    The difficult part of GC fron brakes is removing the cast iron caliper housing mounting bolts (2) in order to be able to remove the rotor. The bolds are usually torques down tight and I recommend the correct size 6 pt. impact socklet and a breaker bar to remove and install these to proper torque.
  • mbk4380mbk4380 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee recently started having problems with the heat. It spits out hot air - perfectly - on the driver's side.

The passenger side, however, blows cold air. Very cold air.

I took it to my mechanic, but he wanted to charge me a lot to take the dash apart and investigate.

Has anyone ever had this experience? If so, appreciate input on the cause of the problem and ballpark repair costs.
  • jmgarland77jmgarland77 Member Posts: 2
    There is a blend issue with your electric doors in the vent assembly. there is a techical bulletin about this issue. I had ours fixed recently. The whole dash has to come out and vent housing gets cut and doors get repaired.

TSB
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    search heater treater on craiges list guy sell repair that you dont have to remove dash
  • themilitia42themilitia42 Member Posts: 1
    It's a flap behind the glovebox, it has broken and will not let the tempature adjust. I've had the same exact problem with my jeep.
  • gmfornow3gmfornow3 Member Posts: 17
    Can anyone comment on the ride quality at 75 mph of a newer Laredo? I am thinking of getting one new or used. Do you feel every tar strip in the road? I tested one up to about 50 mph, and was impressed, but not sure about the higher speeds.
  • capnron1capnron1 Member Posts: 1
    this is a common problem with the climate controlled Jeeps. I fixed mine without removing the dash. The only think I removed was the glove box door. What is causing the issue basically is the blend doors especially the one that controls the right side, stick to the box and when the the temps are set indivdually the door motor for that side strips the nylon shaft and it wont lift or close to control the heat. On Ebay there is a guy that sells a fix for this made out of aluminum with new doors. He has a diagram with very good pics to show where to cut the box to access the doors. It comes with double sided tape to reattach the portion cut out after the repair is complete. It only took me approx half hour to repair mine and I think it cost around 40 dollars for the parts he has. mine now works perfectly for over a year.
  • wimpy123wimpy123 Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking about buying a 2007 jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4d with61K miles from Car Max. What should I be aware of
  • wimpy123wimpy123 Member Posts: 2
    What should I have in an Easy Care Warranty if I buy a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee laredo 4D with 61K miles?