Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• mikemajestymikemajesty Member Posts: 99
    just got my grand cherokee laredo yesterday. v8, 2wd, leather interior, infinity gold stereo, tow hitch, full size spare for 26 thousand. Ill be happy to report what looks to be a bunch of problems in the future. but for now, i love it. i also got the 100k mile extended warranty.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Went by Autozone Monday afternoon since they had not called me. Manager never got the message, the messenger came by about that time and when prompted deliver the note. Talked to the manager, and he agreed to order the correct rotors for me. We split the difference, so the pair cost me about $74 instead of $100. I will probably put them on this weekend. Also considering buying a torque wrench for the lug nuts just in case that is what is causing the warping...over-tightening by the folks that rotate and balance, etc.
  • pos2000jgcpos2000jgc Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 JGC. I have had it for 1 year now & it has 17,500 miles on it. It has been in 5 times for warranty work. 2 times for rotor warping, which Chrysler replaced the rotors & brake pads the first time & then the turned the rotors & replaced the brake pads the 2nd time. it has been in 1 time for a gasket on the rear window washer sprayer, apparently the gasket never made it on during production! One time for the passenger front seat reclining mechanism, too much movement when accelerating, braking & turning. They also refused to replace the driver's seat mechanism 2 months later, stating it was to manufacturers specs! And now it is in for a new steering column/mechanism!!! I am so fed up with this. A new car in for warranty work 5 times in one year is absurd! I find that this last time is a MAJOR SAFETY concern but DC doesn't seem to care. It seems all they care about is how the building looked (cleanliness) & how I was treated (served in a timely fashion). Then who the hell cares about their Five Star Program' if that is all they care about instead of resolving these safety hazards!!! I am ready to take the next step in getting rid of this pos. I would like to have it deemed a lemon but I am not too sure about that now. Any help or ideas? Is there a # that I can call that will actually mean & do something.
  • john315john315 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know the story with the rotor problem on 1998 (and other) GCs? I had rotors replaced on my 1998 GC August 2000, and now they're pulsing again.

A friend with exact same year GC said same thing happened to him, and Jeep dealer tried to blame his driving habits for causing "exessive heat buildup."

I made an appt. to bring mine in July 19th, and the mechanic on the telephone has already implied that I will have to pay for new rotors if necessary, also citing "heat buildup."

Doesn't it seem ridiculous that I need anything at all after new rotors (and pads!) August 2000?

I have very little mechanical knowledge. Can anyone give me any advice?
  • whosjaywhosjay Member Posts: 1
    I really need your help! Especially help from those of you who own a 2001 Jeep Laredo V6.

I am frankly blown away by all the problems I have read about Jeep. The brake rotors, windows and door locks freezing, the transmission whine, fuel pump problems, etc.

Who owns a 2001 Jeep Laredo that can tell me how their experience with this vehicle has been????

I have an incredible amount of trepidation about buying this vehicle. I love how it drives, how it feels and the way it looks.

Yet I am leaning toward the Pathfinder because I don't want to spend 1/2 my waking hours in the dealer service department.

Can anyone give me some feedback???
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    My 2001 JGC has 12k+ miles and it has yet to have any service on it.
  • b885574b885574 Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Grand Cherokee has been in the "shop" 4 times in the last month. Originally the dealer had to overhaul the transmission. Car had 14500 miles and was 17 months old.
    After the overhall the following occured:
    1. On July 3rd I couldn't get the car in gear (frozen in the park position). This was tow job #1.

2.Picked up car on July 5th.
    3. On July 6th(Saturday evening)the same problem necessitated tow #2.
    4.Car needed a part not in stock so I picked car up on Tuesday July 10 at 11:30 A. M.
    5. At 1:30 the same problem had tow #3 on the way. Car in Dealer's possesion now. I'm awaiting the call.

I've started the procedure under my state lemon law buy back.
    Will try and keep you advised.

Jeep Gyp
    A Grand Cherokee with 14,500 miles
    Has its owner in an awkward position
    Of being without it 4 times in 3 weeks
    Because of the D----- transmission
  • naive1naive1 Member Posts: 1
    I am among the many unsatisfied JGC owners. I have owned my Jeep for about 2 years..bought it new in 99. I was just hoping someone might be able to help me out with some names/e-mail addresses/phone numbers of some people I could be in touch with at DaimlerChrysler in order to voice my dissatifaction. I'd love any advice you might have...I live in Tennessee, and have had many more headaches than pleasures since becoming a Jeep owner.
  • simon124simon124 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a '97 JGC Limited with 55k on it. Overall, I love the vehicle. However, recently, I've noticed a winning-type noise from the rear axle area. The sound decreases when you let off the gas. Has anyone experienced this noise? I'm sure there's a technical explanation for it. I haven't taken it to my mechanic yet, but plan to later this month.

Thanks for your help.
  • rinkinkinrinkinkin Member Posts: 35
    2000 GCL V8 Qt II with 19500 Kilometers(11700 miles)
    everything works beautifully EXCEPT the rotors ---I am going in for the 3rd set and the last under warranty (expiring at 12000 miles under warranty)tomorrow morning.
    My 93 I-6 GCL had no similar defect.
    Thinking of putting in Stillen rotors after this saga . Any one had experience with Stillen on a GCL??
  • ereberereber Member Posts: 5
    Same as everyone else here 3 sets of rotors in 12,000 miles and now need's it again. I've found out from DC that the rumor about a recall by the end of the year is not true according to them there is no problem. There is a place on the Jeep web site you can write in with you problem for an official response, I think the more people that log brake problems the better. I would have posted the link but it was too long. Go to jeepunpaved.com then top right "assistance tab" then left colon bottom "contact Jeep 4x4". I love the jeep other than replacing rotors every 4,000 miles too bad they won't fix their mistake.

Anyone with any contacts at DC or info on Lemon law attorney's would be appreciated
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I filed a case with DC after the 5* dealership refused to replace warped rotors at 15,000 + miles on a '00 GCL. I used the '99 GLC warped at 5,000 & 20,000 as evidence. The service mgr called me about that and basically refused to do anything. I filed again asking for a written denial to my request. Have not heard from them in over a week. Will address that with customer service in a week or two.

I replaced my warped rotors last night with aftermarket rotors from Autozone. They are special order, so the list price for the pair was a little over $93 + tax. IF you have a good 6 pt. 18mm socket and breaker bar and a couple of short extension, you should be able to replace the rotors in less than 1.5 hours. I did mine in less than 45 minutes last night.. BUT I practiced last Sunday with the wrong rotors, so I knew what I was doing. So far they have fixed the problem. The receipt I have sayes 2 year warranty. So, I'm probably better off than paying Jeep to do something. If anyone else wants to this and wants a little more detail just e-mail me at bill.brown@stjude.org.

BTW, I'm keeping the originals just in case I get the opportunity to give the back to Jeep, or maybe will need them to get turned and replaced just before trading it in sometime in the future.
    Yes, I got the last rotor replaced under warranty this morning and the service rep explained to me in detail that after this set I have to pay and the set they put on this morning will only be covered until coming Sept when the factory warranty on rotors expires.
    So I am on my own after Sept and so far one friendly garage reccommanded Power Stop rotors and also my service rep has been using Power Stop on his Labaron for 3 months . No negative feedback so far. Any one has comments??
    They cost is C$149/side. Stillens are more --US$350 both sides and they don't have distributor here. I will fight with DC first and Power Stop later.
    Also Parts rep and one Jeep mechanic said 2001 GCL has the same rotor problem as '99 and '00 even though they have 17" wheels vs 16" on '99 & '00 (dumb move not to enlarge the rotors and cut DC warranty cost at the same time)
    My brother's '99 GCL with QD gear-whining problem had been solved finally after 2 years of repeated attempts. It's been a few months since the repair and no recurring noise. He mentioned a DC bulletin and replacing a diff yoke.... or axle. I can get specifics from from if anyone needs.
  • josef2josef2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 5.2L with cat-back system, Hi Flow muffler, big exhaust pipes and headers, and a lot of punch. I have been every where with it, and fast. I now have 163,000 miles on it. Even though it still runs great, it is developing transmission and motor oil leaks. Here is my question: What would be more cost effective? Buying a new Jeep or putting a new engine in the old vehicle which is still in perfect shape. How much should I expect to spend, parts and labor for an engine swap? RSVP. Thanks.
  • fishrxmanfishrxman Member Posts: 31
    To rinkinkin: Several recent posts have mentioned gear whining on this board. My 2001 JGC Ltd developed this problem within the last two weeks. How did your brother solve this annoying problem? I'm calling the dealer tomorrow. Any info might help.
    he is in Ottawa and he says your dealer should know a factory bulletin regarding front/rear drive shaft? His service records are in the office and he will be leaving for vacation tomorrow for about 10 days . I hope this gives u some idea ,but he says the noise is gone and that was end of 2000.
    Good luck .
  • blujeepblujeep Member Posts: 44
    in my '99 GC...after MANY attempts to fix it, my dealer finally got it right...they replaced something in the transmission (sorry, I can't remember what it was) & it went away for about 8,000 miles. Then it came back, they promptly fixed it again & it's lasted for about 14,000 miles. I recently (700 miles ago) replaced the transmission fluid, motor oil & gear lube with synthetic, & have gotten a slight improvement in gas mileage & slightly quieter operation (it seems to me, anyway).
    My problem is that the dreaded Bump is starting to come back again. :(:( Could this be due to the syn ATF??? Or is it just coincidence?? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)
  • bmart418bmart418 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 JGCL V8 with QT. Overall, I like the car...it's comfortable to drive, it perfroms well on- and off-road, and it is one of the best-looking SUV's available. However, I an VERY unhappy with the reliability. I now have 26.5K miles. I am on the third set of rotors, the next set I'm responsible for. My driver-side speakers intermittently lose sound while the CD-Changer is playing. I have had this back to the dealer four times, and this is still not fixed. I contacted DC service rep (800-992-1997) and was instructed to go to a different dealer. I also have that infamous "bump" when the car downshifts to first and the transmission whine. Has anyone had much success getting the "bump" repaired? What was the specific problem? Thank you.
    I'll post results when I get an answer.
    I am also having the bump, but my cherokee only has 8oo miles on it. And it makes this strange clicking sound when i put it in drive from any other gear. Going to the dealer on friday to drop it off.
  • bobhex40bobhex40 Member Posts: 63
    The clicking sound you hear (sounds like a ratchet) is normal to most Mopar cars (my jeep and 300M both do it). Sometimes the trans on my 2001 Jeep GC/QD will bump if I let off the gass just as the trans is shifting up. Again I've had other cars do the same (Mt corvette). I think it is due to the load (force) being taken off the drive shaft.
    I agree. Even Mercedes and Bimmers do that sometimes but not very often. My 2000 GCL with QT had maybe three 'bumps' in the last 10 months and I agree with bobhex40 and I can live with that.
  • swrosswros Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 GCL 4X4 with nearly 40000 miles on it. I have been through the whines and the grinds ( and bumps,clicks and thumps)as well as assorted othe minor problems such as 3 electric window failures, flipper glass leaks and 2 A/C blower problems (Thankfully the rotors have been amazingly perfect!) My "5-Star" (out of a possible how many??) dealer even cheerfully replaced the failed battery under warranty. About 1000 miles after the warranty mileage was exceeded, it started to blow the #8 fuse (dome lights, rear wiper). Took it to the dealer anyway figuring they knew the vehicle. They didn't find anything obvious, replaced the fuse and said they would have to rip the entire interior apart to check it. I the took it to a trusted shop that specializes in automotive electrical work, who did "rip it apart" and found nothing. They told me that it has to be the body control module (a $400.00 computer that produces the theater lighting effect). I am wondering what's next. Has anyone else had this experience?? I LOVE driving this vehicle, but a $400 part, plus labor, at this stage of the game is giving me serious thoughts about trade-in.
  • no1nozno1noz Member Posts: 1
    My 95 GJC starting something new. Turning the wheel hard to the left or right (parking) after driving it for a while results in a hard bumping. This feels like the tire in rolling under the car or I am jumping a curb. It only happens after extended driving of 30-45 minutes+. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas?
    you say you have had maybe 3 bumps in the last ten months, i have 3 a day sometimes, and i dont want to risk it. Im taking it in on saturday morning to my "five star". I have less than a thousand miles, so this is a little ridiculous.
  • bobhex40bobhex40 Member Posts: 63
    Within the last three weeks my Jeep has developed a groan in the steering when the wheel is turned to the right. it seems to only happen when the engine is very hot. Anyone have a similar problem??
  • genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    We have a 2000 Grand Cherokee. The steering wheel shudders (a lot) when braking between 60 and 80 kmph. Is this a symptom of warped rotors? We are planning on taking it to the dealer but would like to do our homework. Is this a common failing? Is there a recall?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    what's your km?
    Sounds like warped rotors to me ! See #459
    It's covered under warranty 20000km or one year whichever comes first. Hurry.
  • genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    :(

Could it be the steering death wobble that I've also been reading about? This is scary.

We will talk to the dealer and see if they are reasonable about this.

My brother just talked to the dealer and as soon as he described the problem the SM said it was the rotors. BTW, the problem started only after the car had been serviced and the wheels rotated by the same dealer. So its possible the rotors were over-tightened. Should we go to a different dealer? I would like to ask them to extend the warranty coverage to cover this damage. Is this possible?
    read my message #462
    and also somewhere I read that wheel nuts should be tightened with a torque wrench .
    I told my service rep specifically to do that and he said that's the only way they tighten the nuts.
    yeah, make me believe !!! Anyway I hope they use the torque wrench this time and see how long this 3rd set of rotors last !!!
  • woohahwoohah Member Posts: 14
    I was wondering if people have had good experiences with the vehicle or are all of them junk. I just drove one yesterday and it drove really nice. But with all these problems and no warranty left it scares me. Any suggestions would be nice.

Thanks
    No, I don't think a lot of them have problems. I am not speaking on behalf of DC but in this part of the country , I am surprised that there are lots of SUB's and a lot of GCL and 99% of them are equipped with V8 ID and yet I don't hear anything negative about the '99+ GCL's . The only common problem that is common to most is the rotor-warp issue. The gear whine problem is random and most can be avoided if you stay with the Select Tram or the QT. When I read this board, it gives me the feeling that either they are very good or very bad. But when I see aLL the GCL V8 ID's flying around. I must say it is not a piece of junk.
    read my post 419 and 440. Good luck.
  • rookie7rookie7 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of purchasing a 97 JGC LTD with only 20,000 miles. Two things concern me with this:

1) The tires are pretty worn for only having 20,000 miles. The dealer explained is as having crappy tires on it.

2) They said the brakes needed some work. Probably turning the rotors. The rotors scare me after reading some posts on this board.

thanks

Any advice on this vehicle...it is priced under $17,000
  • muttmblmuttmbl Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a new JGC, my first new vehicle, and had nothing but problems with it from day one to the day I happily traded it in. The initial reliability was awful - fuel sending unit(s), roof rack rattle (that never went away), rear glass leaking (which when fixed by the dealer resulted in multiple scratches on the car and a dent from the inside out which is unrepairable), transmission issues, rotor issues, door panels that peeled, auto door locks that didn't, buldging dashboard, stereo speakers - you get the picture. I had that car in the shop more than the 15 year old car it replaced. When asked if I would purchase another Jeep on their infamous questionaires they send you my answer was always "only with a fully loaded gun held close to my head". Of course there was no follow up. My next car was foreign and has, so far, had much greater reliability in all categories and the dealership is excellent.
  • fonerfoner Member Posts: 1
    I also have 95 jgc with the knocking noise when turning sharp after driving for 20 mins. Estimate by transmission shop indicated the viscous coupling is bad. $1400 to fix or $1700 for entire case. Appears to be a common problem with the 93-95 models. Recall was denied in 1999 because it was found to not cause a safety problem. My AC also doesn't work. Appears to be leaking in the dash somewhere as no leak found up front.
  • jenjayjenjay Member Posts: 2
    We are looking at a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited with 28000mi, fully loaded, and no warranty. Any advice from 5.9 Limited owner's? Would any jeep owner recommend getting an extended warranty? The seem to run about $400/yr depending on length of warranty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW this car will be for our college senior daughter who definitely needs a 4X4 where she is.
    I purchased a 2001 Jeep GC Ltd on 10/31/00 with a V8 engine, tow group and cold weather group for Wisconsin winters and have reported regularly on the problems I have encountered. I was not happy with the service at the dealer where I purchased my Jeep and now go to a different dealer. The Five Star dealer has done an exceptional job fixing the problems. My vehicle now has 10,100 miles at nine months. A gear whine always occurred when decelerating at about 1400rpm or 55-60mph. The problem: rear differential bearing failure. They disassembled the rear differential, replaced bearings, cleaned the diff housing axle tubes (metal in housing), resealed and filled with fluid. The vehicle was in the shop for a full day. I can't imagine what this would have cost without warranty. All other problems I've had are resolved. I want to stress that I REALLY LIKE MY JEEP. I have not experienced warped rotors, clunks or bumps. I did experience the infamous death wobble with my '93 GC Laredo due to a failed part in the steering assembly which the dealer promptly replaced (yes, that was scary). The decision on the extended warranty can wait for 3 years or 36k miles. JGC is an excellent 4x4 vehicle. Every vehicle will have problems. One should expect more problems with a vehicle with lots of parts, like a 4x4 SUV. I report my problems to help others, not to bash Jeep. Thanks to all for your observations and insights.
  • cpheil1cpheil1 Member Posts: 2
    I had warped rotors on all four wheels from day one until I finally replaced them after the delaership tried laser cutting them and charging and arm and a leg. I had the pinion seal on the rear-end blow out. Now the right rear axle baering is out and after getting two places to try and identify problem, it looks as if the rear axle will need to be taken apart and pieced back together. I only have 69,580 miles!!! I have looked on this message board and seen others with the same whining noise or noise in general from the rear-end and looks like the majority of the people had the same problem. Has anyone been able to get Jeep to help pay for their repairs and why have they not made a recall on this?
  • cpheil1cpheil1 Member Posts: 2
    Read my experience in #487.
  • oxx93oxx93 Member Posts: 67
    I have a 99 GCL--v6 with 30,000 miles. Have not had any major complaints--just some nagging problems---have the infamous bump in shifting and the brakes squeak all the time. Service has been ok--except for the time we needed the front pass. window fixed b/c it would not go down--got the vehicle back with window fixed but could not open the door now from the inside. My lease is up soon--any changes on the 2002.
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    You mentioned you can't open the door from the inside. Have you checked the child-proof door switch? It could cause this condition.
  • shark110shark110 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the note--I did check the child locks but that was not the cause. The dealer did something when they fixed the window. Anybody hear anything about changes for 2002?
    stay at Edmunds.com
    click Review
    then Future Telling
    and click Jeep or scroll for Jeep at bottom of Future Telling.
  • 51willys51willys Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 JGC 4X4 Auto,tow package, 58,000mi, moderate off road use (<5,000mi), bilstein shocks, no other mod. Has been extremely reliable, comfortable for 5, great off road -loaded w/camp gear for 5, stable, could use greater ground clearance though--great skid pan set from factory helps. Problem started at 54,000mi, vibration in front end at around 60 MPH on load only, coasts w/out vibration. Becomes much more noticeable at 75-80 MPH. Dealer thought entire front needs rebuild, Ring & Pinion, bearings etc and drive shaft ($1,800)Determined by test drive only without looking in front diff. cover!

Any other similar experience? results?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Lot of talk about the Grand Cherokee 2002 Overland, biggest change I guess is the 270hp/330 torque engine with antiknock sensors. Lots of other doo-hickeys.
  • nikibluenikiblue Member Posts: 5
    Finally returned my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited v8, 4x4, quadra drive, up country piece of junk.
    DC finally bought it back when I hired a lawyer. Arbitration process was useless. I only got results when I went to a lawyer. Advice to all, don't give up. It took me over three month to get rid of this truck. I will never buy a jeep product again. In the year 2001, a $40k truck should be luxurious as well as reliable. Jeep just proved that they still cannot build a reliable vehicle after all these years a Jeep is still a Jeep --UNRELIABLE SUV that can get you anywhere if you can keep it running. Good luck to all.
  • teddhuntteddhunt Member Posts: 2
    We bought our 97, 6 cyl. jgc 4 years ago. We have 70,000 miles of trying to enjoy it, the usual rotor problems & endless trips to dealers to shut off, "check engine lights." The latest bout after being tired of dealerships was taking it to a specialty shop. It seems the car wants to stall as you excelerate in the 30-40 mph range. We can watch the rpm's fluctuate between 100-500 rpm's as she goes almost into a stall, there is no stall, just as decress in speed, some shuddering, then things seem to clear out and all is fine. We can go a few days or just a few miles before this happens again. The specilty shop first replaced the computer, @ the rate of $700, two weeks later same light, replace the fuel pump. Drive two days same problem, car looses power, wants to stall. Shop says fuel filter is in the gas tank & doesn't get changed. Please any ideas, this is a safety issue! We'd like to keep and enjoy this suv, but our patience is wearing. Ted
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    NHTSA has now received 144 consumer complaints of "inadvertent rollaway in reverse" involving 1995-1999 Grand Cherokees.

Jeep safety probe widens

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• tom_tom_ Member Posts: 25
    To help prevent any vehicle from moving, always apply the parking brake before exiting.
    the safest way is to turn off the engine. The parking brakes cannot hold the vehicle if it is in gear.