Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• appstate88appstate88 Member Posts: 40
    My wife is a Wrangler driver, but hope some of you can help me out!!

(Copied from Wrangler Board!)

Signed my wife and father-in-law up for a Jeep Jamboree in the NC Mountains this fall. It was an anniversary present and I have to say it has been the biggest hit for a present that I have ever given. And they don't go until October!

Anybody been to one and have advice on how to maximize the experience?

Thanks!
  • donhobsondonhobson Member Posts: 2
    I have 34700 miles on my Jeep and I love it.
    It is a 2000 2WD with the V8. The only problem
    I have is an occasional hard start. "Turn the key twice". I live in Houston and I drive 20 miles each direction to work. I absolutely love the power and comfort. I purchased it at River Oaks Jeep on Kirby, but I don't like the staff there too much. Sorry to hear that some of you are having a hard time. Time for me to get the Maximum care extended warranty. Does anyone know how I can get DC to come down on the offering price for the service contract?

-Don
  • arefeenarefeen Member Posts: 4
    I highly recommend an extended warranty for any GC. I have a 96 JGC Laredo. I had a 5yrs/100000 extended warranty. I had the following items fixed under that warranty within first 4yrs of ownership - main belt, complete AC system, transmission, door panel peeling off etc. Just read the fine lines of the warranty contract to make sure you understand the items covered. There are lot of "not so good" extended warranty available. Hope this helps.
  • jeffc1jeffc1 Member Posts: 29
    I just had to pay to have my rotors turned. I am saving the receipts in case there is a recall on this problem. I can't wait until this POS is off lease ~~ 2 months and counting. The dealer is replacing the headliner under warranty because it is seperating from the roof. Just a couple of more problems.
  • oxx93oxx93 Member Posts: 67
    DRIVING TO WORK THIS A.M. AND SAW WOOD PANELS ON A JEEP---IS THIS A NEW OPTION FOR 2002?--COULDN'T GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO SEE UP CLOSE, BUT THE WOOD TRIM ON THE OUTSIDE LOOKED LIKE THE TRIM ON THE DASH AND THE DOORS ON THE INSIDE---ANYBODY HAVE ANY INFO ON THIS?-----JURY IS STILL OUT ON THE LOOKS---MAYBE IT WILL GROW ON ME
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Besides the missing roof rack cross bars, it appears the 5-speed multi-speed automatic is now a $75.00 option on the 4.7L V8. I guess the V8 now comes with the (old?) 4-speed multi-speed automatic as standard.

Bob
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    The 5-speed transmission was also an option in 2001, the year it was introduced.
    I thought it came standard with the 4.7L V8 last year?

Still, a $2K base price reduction is much welcomed.

Bob
    the 5-speed auto was indeed an option for '01. Maybe it was standard in '00?

Bob
    I took my 2001 JGC in to a 5-Star dealer for its annual inspection. While there, I told them the brakes were pulsing. When I picked it up, they indicated the front brake rotors and pads were replaced under warranty, even though the vehicle has 14,000 miles on it, and the brakes are only covered for 12 mo./12k mi. Anyway, I left a happy camper.

Regarding the 5-speed tranny, it was introduced for the 2001 model year as a $75 option. I just verified it against my invoice. It was not available for the 2000 model year.
    the 5-speed auto has always been an option on the V8. Interesting...

Speaking of the 5-speed multi-speed auto: the only difference between it and the 4-speed multi-speed auto, is that the 5-speed version has an additional overdrive on top of the other gears. All the other gear ratios are the same in both units. Not sure about the final drive ratio though.

Bob
  • cms4cms4 Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased a Patriot Blue 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Agate Leather interior, with the K Package from Quinn Motors in Gloucester, VA. We got a great deal (at least we think we did). It was sold at Invoice, the dealership gave up their $500 dealer cash, we took advantage of the $2500 customer rebate and got an additional $500 -Incentive certificate off of the internet.(There was also no processing fee charged). The dealership also beat PeopleFirst Interest Rate. We did have a 13 year old trade-in, which we were told by the salesman that since we got such a great deal on jgcl that we probably would not get top dollar for the car. we were even happy with the trade in amount. If we ever purchase another chrysler product we would definitely return to this dealership. The management and salesman were really great. It was truly a no hassle car buying experience. (We had gone to three other jeep dealership during our jgcl search, wich was really frustrating).
  • lesliejoylesliejoy Member Posts: 62
    Arefeen,

Thanks for responding. Can you tell who your extended warranty is through?

The dealer is asking $1,500 for a 5yr/100,000 mile warranty thru Warrantech.

Any info about your warranty would be appreciated.
    We have a 1998 with 43,000 miles on it.

Thanks.
  • arefeenarefeen Member Posts: 4
    The extended warranty was through GE. The total I paid was $800 for 6Yrs/100000miles with$50 deductable for each claim (I bought the wwarranty in Nov. 1995). However, the dealer paid that $50 deductable whenever I utilized their shop for warranty repairs. Again, you could be lucky and may not need warranty service but I highly recommend an extended warranty for all JGCs. Just make sure you pick a good extended warranty. Hope this helps.
    Thanks Arefeen.

Do you have a number or website for GE?

What is the coverage called, ex: Platium, Gold etc.

Thanks again.
    Arefeen, Found the GE website for extended warranty. Looks like they'll only cover 3years/36,000 miles.

Think I'll stick with Warrantech which covers just about everything (exclusionary policy), except the usual fluids, brakes, rotors, etc.

Thanks so much for the info.
  • rmhunterrmhunter Member Posts: 3
    Happy to hear that yo are not having as many problems with your jgc as I have had. I also have an 00 with the V8. I have recently purchased an 01 Wrangler, I looked at River Oaks and was not happy with their treatment. Went back to Ron Carter and purchased. Talk to Pam Gillam at Ron Carter, with the past Jeep problems that I had we were able to get an extended warranty through Chrysler and she took care of everything. Hope all works out well...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Chrysler to reduce pricing for Grand Cherokee 2002

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• mikemajestymikemajesty Member Posts: 99
    5000 miles on my grand cherokee. but this high output 2002 sounds like fun. can anyone tell me how i trade in a car that is not paid off. i want this high output motor. input will be greatly apreciated. this new high output has more power than the old 5.0. hope i can get it.
  • 99gc99gc Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone purchased a 2002 JGC Limited.....
    It appears as though Chrysler has dropped the sticker $2K - $3K on the vehicle....
    I am curious if that price reduction is seen on a new lease.
    I am estimating the cost of a 2001 JGC Limited 28K Lease with a Sticker of $38K - $39K to fall between $480 - $530 with minimal downpayment....
    Would anyone care to share lease numbers..?

Thanks
    typo, i meant the old 5.9
  • oxx93oxx93 Member Posts: 67
    just to let you know--i currently have a 99gcl that i am leasing--sticker was 36,750--0 down, 36 mos., payment is 531--hope this helps--you might be able to get a lower payment if they are still dealing--let me know what you find. my lease is up in feb. and i might lease a gcl again--it has been a good vehicle for us.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This story may be of interest:

Jeep sales are down so "DaimlerChrysler AG is slashing prices on 2002 Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge cars and trucks to pump up sales and minimize profit-eating incentives."

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• mazurkiemazurkie Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2002 JGC Limited 2WD in mid-August. Sticker price on the 2002 model was $3180 less than the 2001 for identically equipped vehicles ($32,665 vs. $35,845 for the 2001). Since I wasn't shopping for a lease, I can't provide any info for you there. But maybe the pricing info will help.

I also purchased an extended warranty for it last Friday (10yr/100,000 mi, exclusive).

In 1994 I bought a JGC Laredo new and now have 130,000 miles on it. It's had a few problems (rebuilt tranny, a/c, catalytic converter replaced twice, plus some more minor stuff). Aside from the problems, I've really enjoyed owning and driving the vehicle and decided to buy another. I just hope that I will enjoy my new 2002 as much as I did my '94.
  • kimmydiva3kimmydiva3 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Everyone!
    I'm a 19 year old college student looking to buy a 4x4 SUV. I was looking at a brand new Jeep Liberty, but have decided that they're a little too expensive for me. So, I started to look at used vehicles and I found a '97 JGC Laredo automatic 4x4 I-6 with 28,000 mi. for $16,999. That's where Edmunds comes in.... I decided that it would be smart for me to look and see what actual owners have to say about their JGC experiences. I was shocked to read how horrible many owners find the JGC to be! The only thing I am wondering is this: Most of the people on the board have been complaining about their '99-'00 models. Have experiences been just as bad for the '97 owners? I drive to school 51 miles roundtrip five days a week and like to take a lot of trips to go fishing and camping (That's why I need a 4x4), and I pay a lot of money for school so I simply can't afford to have a car in the shop all of the time. Would buying this car be a mistake? The car itself is beautiful and it seemed solid to drive. I need the extremely low miles because I need to keep this car for quite some time and miles add up quick when you're driving a minimum of 250 miles a week. If this would be a bad choice, do any of you have any suggestions for a good, reliable, low mileage 4x4 SUVs that could be had for that price (Or less!)? Thank you so much!
    ~Kim
    you are not looking for tremendous power, maybe an xterra, used one, would be the ticket for you. That are not that expensive new, so a slightly used one would probably be pretty reasonable, plus you get the japanese reliability to go along with a great off roading vehicle. or maybe a wrangler, though they are not great for long drives.
  • munich7munich7 Member Posts: 1
    My biggest problem has been to replace the front rotors 2 times and the rear rotors 1 time. The current rotors seem to be staying true. I have 20,000 miles on the odometer. All brake work was done under warranty. NO other mechanical problems have surfaced to date. My feeling is that after 5 years the resale value will be so low that it will not pay off to buy my lease. My biggest complaint is the poor drivers seat support. Wish I knew of a way to get a more supportive seat without paying several hundred dollars.
  • jasonrupjasonrup Member Posts: 13
    This model replaces the Limited model at the top of the food chain. Comes standard with 4.7L HO (High Output) motor rated at 260 HP, 330 LB/FT increases of 15% HP and 12% torque respectively over the standard 4.7L. The engine is mated to the same 5 speed automatic (545 RFE) as the regular 4.7L. The 4.7L HO is also available on the JGC Limited Edition as an option. Also standard on the Overland are 17" machined aluminum wheels, dark slate grey interior scheme with premium leather and suede seats, REAL redwood burl wood accents, Overland embroidered mats, rain sensing wipers, side curtain airbags, and a tire pressure monitoring system. Overland is available in Silverstone Metallic, Onyx Green Pearl, Inferno Red Tinted Pearl (a US$200 Option), and Graphite Metallic Pearl exterior colours.
    the HO is not available for laredo's then?
  • jasonrupjasonrup Member Posts: 13
    Laredo's are only available with 4.0L I6 and 4.7L V8 in standard form. No 4.7L HO for anything but Limiteds (as an option) and Overland's (standard).
  • maw1982maw1982 Member Posts: 62
    I am looking at a '93 GC limited with 85k miles. Edmund's says that the trade-in value is around $8k but I can get the car for around 5k. I know that the price shoul be my first concern but should I really avoid this car or look into it more.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Has anybody had any problems with the 2000 JGC oil pressure being abnormally high? I had mine checked by my trusted mechanic and we hooked up a manual gauge. It read in the proper range. Turns out the oil sending unit (the thing that sends the data to the dashboard) is defective. I was just checking to see if anybody else has had similar problems and what Jeep's reaction was to it.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • gabulldawg1gabulldawg1 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone had problems with transmission making noise when you take out of park to another gear.Whe I change from park to drive or reverse, it makes a clanking noise!
    Dealership claims that is normal!
  • vpitravvpitrav Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking at the JGCs for some time now and it seems like for only a little more money it would be wise to go with the V8, but I have heard from some that it's just not worth the trouble. Does anyone have thoughts as to which way to go?
  • bobhex40bobhex40 Member Posts: 63
    That noise is common to most DC cars. My 300M and Jeep GCL V8 does the same.
    It is clear that the issues presented in this forum pall next to the terrible tragedy experienced by many of our fellow citizens and their families, and endured by us all. Nevertheless, going about normal activities is a part of the healing process, so we owe it to ourselves to continue on.

Regarding vpitrav's question about the V8, what trouble are you referring to? It is a fine motor, and has not given me any problems. You ought to simply consider whether the extra power over the I-6 is worth the trade-off of higher initial cost and slightly lower gas mileage.
  • fishrxmanfishrxman Member Posts: 31
    My 2001 GC Ltd continues to have problems. Originally the security system malfunctioned and the seat and mirrors changed positions upon activation by the remote. This supposedly was fixed in March. Now the mirrors move and the security light doesn't work. Two weeks ago the dealer ordered a part to repair the problem. Today the part was installed. The problem still exists because an additional part must be ordered. In summer, the same dealer replaced bearings, pinions, and the rear differential to reduce the loud gear whine. Recently, the gear whine returned when driving 54mph. In addition, another whine was noticed coming from the right rear tire. When the tires were rotated, the whine moved to the front left. The service rep attributed the noise to an 'aggressive tire'. I was not happy because that problem wasn't fixed and I was blown off by an uncaring representative. Today, the technician also test drove my Jeep with me. He heard both whines. He said Chrysler changed the differential housing for 1999. It is now made of aluminum. The whining noise is caused by the all wheel drive (Quadra-Trac II)which is standard on the Ltd. He could adjust the pinions, but the whine could still happen at any speed and appear to originate from the front, back, right, or left. The fact that aluminum is lighter than steel also accounts for less insulating of the gear whine noise. He also said that new JGC today will have the same gear whine, maybe even more pronounced than mine. In summary, Chrysler considers this gear whine NORMAL. Regardless of what DC says, I call it UNACCEPTABLE. I continue to emphasize that I really like this vehicle. The comfort, ride, looks, towing capacity are just what I want. If DC takes care of the problems and makes me happy, I MAY even buy another one. But right now, my lemon is getting ripe.
  • dsievertdsievert Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with all the options (the ones I want). Its a V8 and have noticed a few nagging things that I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing.
    1: when the car is cold or has sit for a while, I notice that the shifting is rough and sometimes jerky when you are going somewhere between 18-30 MPH.

2: There recently appeared to be a motor or grinding noise when shifting into Drive or Reverse, almost like a gear motor pushing something in place...have never heard it before until recently...is this normal?

3: Car appears to loose power between 60-70 for a fraction of a second. I mainly notice it when you are running under cruise control. Its more annoying than anything but you are going along and everything is smooth and calm and you feel this slight interuption for a fraction of a second--it sometimes happens every 20-30 seconds. Has anyone else experienced this?

Took the jeep in and of course they could not duplicate it. My wife experienced it too and of course the dealer thinks I'm nuts/.
    Don
    dsievert. I have also experienced these very faint pulses at about 60mph with my 2001 JGC Ltd. The pulses occurred at about the same speed whether cruise control is engaged or not. My Jeep has 11,800 miles and I have not felt these pulses in the last few months. Dealer mentioned this may occur when the air conditioner kicks in. I have discovered recently that there are many things about this vehicle Daimler-Chrysler considers NORMAL that many owners,myself included, find UNACCEPTABLE. Rough shifting doesn't sound right and shifting noise seems typical.
  • milousmilous Member Posts: 39
    Vpitrav, go with the V8, no question. I have owned an '01 now for 6 months and just love it. Just finished a long trip on wide open roads and lots of hills. The V8 didn't miss a beat and zipped up large hills effortslessly. I'd never go back to a 6. Also consider that come trade-in or sell time in the years ahead the V8 in my opinion will be much easier to sell than one with a V6.
    the GC still uses the old I-6 engine.

Bob
  • randyrhodesrandyrhodes Member Posts: 54
    Can the V8 be had with Selec-Trac?
    Randy
  • bluesun99bluesun99 Member Posts: 16
    I just priced a 2002 GC Larado on jeepwarehouse.com. As part of the FWP (dealers invoice cost) they show a item of $460 for Chrysler Zone & National Advertising Charges. I've never run into this before. Is it a dealers load, pack, sales gimmick or what. Is it legit? I was under the impression advertising costs like dealers prep were just part of overhead, not a invoice item. Oh, the price I got, $2940 off a sticker of $31840. Not all that great. Shopping the net, can it be beat?
  • jgtan97jgtan97 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone has a problem dealing with a dealership?
    I really regret having brought my jeep 1999 to Freehold Jeep for service. Service Manager by the name of Rick Schreck is stubborn and narrow minded. And their service consultant by the name of Brian Daley sells you anything just to make money off of you...i think they are on commission basis. Their technicians steal your money to buy soda...and charge you $2.00 for writing up the paperwork...
    Anyway...not much details here...but if you are planning to bring your car for service, make sure you don't bring it to Freehold JEEP.
  • baseballmom94baseballmom94 Member Posts: 92
    We have a 1994 Jeep GC Laredo. Our family of 4 (plus extra kids in carpools) has definitely outgrown it and we will be purchasing a full-size SUV next Spring when our Camry lease is up. My husband wants to drive the Grand Cherokee until it absolutely dies. I'm wondering if we should trade it in now while it still holds a little value and we could actually get rid of it rather than sending it to the junkyard. Any thoughts on this. He enjoys driving a "free" car which I understand. What have others done in this situation?
  • jamesjr1jamesjr1 Member Posts: 11
    When id1eing, there is a slight vibration in the steering wheel. This is a new 2001 JGC 4 wheel drive. Any thoughts?? Someone told me might be motor mounts not in proper position or perhaps driveshaft problem. Just enough vibration to be annoying. Don't notice when in motion. THANKS, Virginia
  • wtt3wtt3 Member Posts: 2
    Fishrxman,

I have also had the whine problem but with a 1999 JGC LTD V8 Quadra-Trac II.

The whine problem turned out not to be in the differentials as one would initially think. The final fix for this problem was to replace the front drive shaft and it's related linkages. The DC TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for this procedure is TSB 03-05-00.

Once this was performed, I have not had a hint of the annoying whine. Below is the information from my service invoice that includes all the parts used and their description.

Hope this helps...

DRIVE SHAFT HOURS: 2.30 TFCH(S)
    TSB FRONT DRIVE SHAFT, SOP.
    PERFORM T S B 03-05-00

PARTS
    1______5019624-AA______YOKE AXLE_2012065
    1______5017755-AA______NUT PINIO_2003014
    2______J3240553________STRAP PRO_2010060
    1______5019514-AA______YOKE TRAN_21102019
    4______6034966_________BOLT NONE_2010022
    1______5019616-AA______SHAFT DRI_2510003
    4______J4006928________BOLT NONE_2010022
    1______4275086_________LABEL GEN_18079005
    1______4669020_________LABEL AUT_14086100

WARRANTY
    Invaluable information. Maybe that's the problem in the rear, too.
  • randyrhodesrandyrhodes Member Posts: 54
    Can the V8 be had with Selec-Trac?
    Randy
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    From what I recall from all of the previous model years, SelectTrac can only be had with the six cylinder models. Why not check out http://www.jeepunlimited.com for confirmation about the '02 models?

Good luck,

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards