Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• mikeintnmikeintn Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for your comments. I am sure the Audi is a great vehicle, just not for me. Yeah, an SUV guzzles more gas, but I really need the 4WD for the snow, especially through the mountains. I also need a good deal of luggage space, so the back of an SUV is ideal for that. Next, I like to sit up high for a good view of the road, so that also leads to an SUV. If I can get something around 20mpg then I am okay with that. I drive like an old woman, so if the sticker says 19, I can usually get 20.

I have read all the reviews and most of the postings on the SUVs I am interested in considering. It looks like the Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. looks like a pretty good choice. For the money it is better equiped than any other SUV out there, and the 7 year 100K warranty means that if I blow a tranny at 75K, then they cover it. (Less the deductable, but a lot less than the tranny I had to buy for my 1995 Nissan Pathfinder several years ago)

Thanks for the comments everyone, I'll report back when I bite the bullet.

MIKEnTN
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    The Santa Fe comes with a 10/100,000 miler, I think.

Also, I'd SERIOUSLY consider the Trooper over the GC. For what you pay, you get quite a bit.
  • geneseedepotgeneseedepot Member Posts: 30
    19/20 mpg out of the 4.7 v-8???? I think you'd better browse through the GC forum on jeepsunlimited.com (one of the best Jeep resources on the internet)... I don't recall anyone reporting that kind of mileage, no matter how they drive.
  • bobhex40bobhex40 Member Posts: 63
    If you keep it under 70 I've hit an average of 20MPG on a 150 mile trip.
  • leo948leo948 Member Posts: 38
    my '01 jgcl 2wd v8 (23k+ mi) is averaging 18.6mpg (if the trip cptr is correct) in mixed city/hwy driving. admittedly, i'm one of those who prefers smoothness as opposed to exhibitions of speed (but from time to time that's fun too). and on the hwy i usually set my cruise to 70. i've seen 20+ mpg on long trips but who wants to do 65?

leo
  • jeeprcreeprjeeprcreepr Member Posts: 1
    Diddo for my 99 Jeep GCL - I've got 52K miles on my jeep- do I love to drive or what? After 12K I replaced the front rotors. At 37K miles, I had replace the front brakes and we shaved the front rotors. Now, its time to replace the back brakes and rotors. Additionally, the "crunching" noise in the front end...started about a month ago. The shop couldn't duplicate the problem (don't we all love that phrase) they sprayed some lubricate in the sway bar up front- rubber bushing area... which appears to help for now. I've come to the conclusion that all of this is something I have inherited with owning this vehicle. Obviously, I'm not alone. Does it stink. Ya it does. Do I love my Jeep- You bet I do.
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    Almost ready to by the GC and it is the best price I have found for a lease. But they have tacked on a $550 lease acquisition fee and the lease is through Chrysler. I called Chrysler financial and they told me that this is a dealer charge and not a chrysler charge. I know I paid this fee when I went through Chase, but did not realize it through Chrysler. We also lease from Honda and I am pretty sure that there is no aquisition fee through Honda Finance. I really do not want to pay this fee, and I am getting mad about it. Might end up with a trailblazer at this rate. What to do, any ideas. Have not signed anything yet. I suppose I can tell them to sell it to me under invoice or no deal. Thanks Mike
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    If you don't want to pay it, don't pay it! You're the one that has to make the final decision. If they want to sell the car they'll find a way to save you another $550. If they can't do it, they won't. Simple! I think the trailblazer is a pretty decent vehicle. I don't think it could handle the type of driving I do as I end-up in alot of off-road conditions, but I'd consider one for my wife if I could get her into an SUV.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    What kind of construction did the 1993-98 Grand Cherokee use? Ladder type body-on-frame or unibody?
  • jam1000jam1000 Member Posts: 182
    I've been looking at new JGCs over the last couple weeks, and all the ones with the "28F" packages (V8) I've driven have had the Selec-trac 4WD system rather than the Quadra-trac II system that the brochure says is supposed to come standard with the 28F package. I asked the salesman about this today, and he said (1) all the new 28Fs that are being delivered now have Selec-trac rather than Quadra-trac; (2) he doesn't know why this is so (speculates it has to do with parts not being available); and (3) if you keep Selec-trac in the "4 Full Time" position, it is basically identical, if not completely identical, to Quadra-trac. Is any of what he said true?
  • markuliesmarkulies Member Posts: 12
    Is is best to leave the selectrac in full time 4WD all the time?
    That does sound right. The difference between Selec-trac and Quadra-trac II is that Selec-trac has an option to turn off the full-time system, run in part-time, or 2wd. Much better IMHO. The full-time systems are identical from what I understand. The Quadra-drive is different though. As far as leaving it in full-time all the time, it shouldn't matter. The only problem I can see is if you intend to always leave it in full-time with the Selec-trac system, I believe the lever is going to be pointing up a bit and might get in your way. I personally would leave it in 2wd until there is a reason you might need 4wd, then shift it in and the system will engage the front wheels as needed. I won't buy one with the Quadra-trac II as I want the choice of running 2wd, plus part-time 4wd is better in some circumstances and not available on quadra-trac II.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I agree with you on the Select Trac, its a much better system. I had a 94 Grand Cherokee V-8 with Quadra-Trac and at 30K it needed a new transfer case, plus I hated the fact that I couldn't take it out of full time in the summer.

My 98 Grand Cherokee 6-cyl has select trac and I leave it in full time all winter (very unpredictible roads here in Alaska) and 2wd in the summer. I think it saves wear and tear on the system in the summer time to be able to put it in 2wd.

My 98 GC will turn 56K today, only brakes, shocks, and tires so far. Its been a great truck, I plan on keeping it for another 100K or so.
  • akroegerakroeger Member Posts: 16
    Is there a gas economy advantage to operating in 2WD vs. Full time 4WD on the Selec-trac JGC on dry roads? How about any mechanical advantage when towing on dry roads? I typically use 2WD when towing unless I'm on a wet boat ramp. Any thoughts?

Thanks
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    I would not recommend any Crysler product. They are not dependable enough. For about the same money, you can get a Toyota or even a luxury (Infiniti or Lexus) SUV. I just bought an Infinit QX4. I got the dealer down to $34,200 on a 4X4. They come standard loaded with everything you have to add on to other SUV's. Infiniti gave me a 2.9% 60 month finacing deal that I could not pass up. Therefore, my payment is probably even lower than yours will be on the Cherokee even though it is a little higher priced. Also the $/mile will be much lower since it will have less repair costs and last for more miles than the Cherokee. Then when I go to sell it with 250 K miles on it, there will still be some value in it. Go for the QX4, RX300 or Toyota Highlander.
    I disagree, my Grand Cherokee is super reliable. It has 56K on it and no problems, I have only done brakes, shocks, and tires. Infinity QX4 is just an expensive Pathfinder which are not known for their value, they are fairly reliable, but nothing to write home about. I have a friend who has a 92 Cherokee with over 250K on it, and its still extremely reliable and hasn't cost him much beyond general maintance.
    250 K is a rare exception on a Chrysler. It is, however, the standard on Toyota, Nissan and Honda. I have taken notes on 6 friends that have had significant problems, some of which Chrysler never fixed. One actually had to have the air conditioner REPLACED 3 times and it still wasn't right. Another had so much trouble with hers before the 60 K mile warranty was up that she traded it for fear of what major problems would occur after the warranty expired that she would have to pay for. On the other hand, I have 2 friends that have put over 300 K (one 500 K) on Toyotas, 3 with over 200 K on Hondas and 2 with over 250 K on Nissan products. Many of the posts on this board verify what I am saying about Chrysler products.
  • mikeintnmikeintn Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I have it narrowed down to a Jeep Grand Cherokee and Toyota 4Runner. The fact that I have been able to narrow it down to two is amazing. I've driven the Pathfinder, Envoy, Trailblazer, Explorer (what an awful vehicle, and I drive a Ford F-150 now) Tahoe, plus the Grand Cherokee and 4Runner.

I did try the Toyota Highlander and while it appears to be a great vehicle, I just don't like it. It looks too much like the old Honda Minivans and I just can't deal with that. The Lexus is nice, but looks like an upside down easter egg. Again, it is a fine car, but just not for me.

The choice is a difficult one. 4Runner has the Toyota reliability, great ground clearance, and good style. It seems to be laid out very well. Considering that Toyota is about to introduce a new 4Runner later this year, the deals are pretty solid on them. The downside is the 3.4 V-6 does not seem to have as much get up and go as the Cherokee. The fit and finish on the SR5 Sport Editions I have looked at are very nice.

The Grand Cherokee is a very nice SUV. The limited models I have looked at drive very well, feel very solid, and with the 4.7 V-8 have a lot of power. Their mileage estimates are identical. DC is offering $2500 cash back, plus a 7 year 100K powertrain warranty. I am concerned about the reliablity issues with Chysler, but we also own a Town and Country minivan that has done very well for two years and our dealer's service department has been outstanding in working with a couple of minor problems. They even replaced a bracket that my son broke, under warranty. We told them he did it and that we should pay for it and they would not hear of it. This same dealer is where I would get the jeep, should I select it.

Decisions, decisions! At this point it is a dead heat. I have yet to see what they will give me for my trade, so that will also play a factor.

Thanks for the imput, I'll let you know what I have decided upon by this weekend.

MIKEinTN
    A large majority of the vehicles I've owned have been either Chrysler or Toyota. They have all been good vehicles. Driving 50K per year, the overall cost of the Toyotas was usually the best. However, there is very little difference in overall cost when the vehicle is driven 20K or less per year and kept for 5-10 years. Mid-90's Toyotas were by far the best and were drastically better quality than other makes. The newer models don't impress me as much, and my newest Camry has had more problems than any of my other vehicles. You'd might be surprised how many Cherokees are on the road with well over 200K. The 4.0L engine and tranny is well known for long-term durability. When I bought my '01, there was an '88 Cherokee with 415K. The salesman (who's a friend) claimed it was original engine/tranny and had been maintained at that dealer since new.

You really can't compare a RX300 to a Grand Cherokee. The RX300 is a minivan with all-wheel drive and no towing capacity. I've driven one and they are not an SUV no matter what they want to call it. It could not make it up a snow covered driveway I routinely make in Jeeps and other 4X4 vehicles.

The Pathfinder and 4runner are comparable, although the V8, more sophisticated suspension, and superior 4X4 system of the grand cherokee makes it much more appealing for those that use their vehicles for their intended purpose. If you have no use for 4X4 or towing I don't understand the logic of buying any of these, but to each his own.
    I just sold a 1992 Honda Civic 3dr hatch. It had 132,000 miles on it. It still had the original shocks and clutch. I drove that car hard, sometimes even offroad. I went through maybe 3 sets of tires, and one set of front brakes and a muffler (salty NE winters!).

I bought a 1997 Wrangler. I think with jeeps, you either get a good one or a bad one. I happened to get a good one.

If only Honda made trucks! (convertible, 4x4 ones, that is!)

I have a friend who is a Toyota and Chrysler Master Mechanic, and he said to never ever buy a Grand Cherokee. He said those things eat tires, shocks, and alignments for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. From people I personally know who have them, that has held to be true. Too bad, because I think they are a nice looking car.
    My Jeep just recently had its original tires replaced at 52K, they had probably 2K left in them, but with winter and all I figured new tires were in order. The front rotors were recently replaced due to a recall, so I had front brake pads done too. The shocks were feeling a bit worn so they were also replaced. I don't feel that 50K out of any of that is bad, seems quite normal to me.

You want to talk about chewing up brakes, shocks, alignments, and front ends, look at GMC/Chevy trucks....I know, we used to own one.

I have a friend with a Grand Cherokee identical to mine, except hers is a 1996 and had 125K on it, she has also had excellent luck with it and no major repairs. I do agree that you either get a good Jeep or a bad Jeep, but I also think it depends on how its cared for too.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    To include all Jeep enthusiasts, the Jeep Wrangler Owners Club has been changed to Jeep Owners Club, located on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in SUVs.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • fanman8fanman8 Member Posts: 65
    It is true that you could get a good JGC however it appears that many are having the same problems with this vehcile that I have found. I started having problems as early as 20,000 miles and I am not hard on my vehicles. I have never owned a vehicle that had as many problems with so few miles on it. Brake Rotors should not have to be replaced at 30,000 miles. Rear diferentials should not have to be replaced under 30,000 miles. Sending units, a common problem with this vehicle, replaced as well. Its horn woke me up from a dead sleep parked in the garage. I could not get it to stop and it burned itself out! Replaced under warranty but come on guys is this vehicle for real? It looks great just like all Chrysler products do. But after its looks its all down hill after that. For the person that is choosing between the 4Runner and the JGC I would say walk,no run away from that Jeep. Yah, it may ride a little better and it may have more horsepower but in the end the Toyota will fetch a higher resale, give you far less problems. But hey, read the Toyota 4Runner posts and see for yourself which has the better fit and finish and true reliability.
    I guess what it really comes down to is what someone wants. I owned several Toyotas, and after awhile I just grew completely bored with the Toyota scheme. They are great, very-reliable, good fit and finish, and down right boring as hell. Believe it or not, most people want to buy something they like over something sterile that will provide them with nothing more than reliable transportation. If I'm driving 50K per year, I'll buy something that hopefully (although I question Toyotas quality since my last Camry) will be very reliable. For just a 20K per year car I'll buy what I like and take my chances. Most people don't rank reliability as their highest priority when buying a new vehicle.
    From a style standpoint the Jeep GC is a standout. If people are willing to shell out good money for poor build quality with marginal fit and finish,then my condolences. People will by whatever wets their whistle. Chrysler, like Ford and G.M. in my opinion keep producing vehicles that are not on par with the imports. Honda, Toyota, Nissan are currently and in the past producing higher quality vehicles. I think that if enough people looking for a Jeep GC visited this site first and did some homework before dropping their hard earned cash on a Grand Cherokee then they would be aware of the problems many have shared with us posting here. I am sure some people will buy whatever they want regardless of this vehicles pitfalls. For those folks then I would say good luck. I am addressing the folks that are not interested in finding out for themselves this vehicles downfall but can appreciate knowledge from former owners about this vehicle and how bad it really is. Just look at where Consumer Reports rates this vehicle and you can get a good idea of its quality. Under used vehicles to stay away from is where they have this vehicle listed. I only wish I would have visited this site first before I purchased my Jeep then I would not have had all of the grief I have found with this vehicle
    I'll agree that overall the build quality is less, but it's not night and day. We aren't comparing a 1970 Ford Fairmont to a Lexus LS400 here. DC sold 230,000 Grands in 2000, which is well over twice as many 4runners and four times as many Pathfinders. Do you think there are going to be more complaints for a vehicle that has over 2 million of them on the road? I see quite a few complaints on the Camry board as well, which is expected considering the number they crank out a year. People come to these boards for the purpose of complaining for the most part. If they were as poorly constructed as you make them out to be the dealerships would be booked years in advance. I find it interesting you bought something with "poor build quality and marginal fit and finish". I'll add my in-laws '99 Ltd was delivered with very good fit/finish and has logged about 70K miles with nothing more than front pads and tires. So at least one out of 2 million seems to work pretty good.
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    With 20,000 mi. on my 2001 JGC V8 with Quadra Drive, the only time it went into the shop was for new front brakes at 14K miles, done under warrantee. There were no break-in issues or initial adjustments. This is one tight vehicle with no rattles, no annoyances, no minor service issues. And hey, it's comfortable, powerful, and fits me well. Regarding the brakes, I've come to find out the cause could have been over-tightening of the lug nuts when I had the tires rotated at the local service station. So to each their own, but I am very happy with my JGC.
  • milousmilous Member Posts: 39
    I get so tired of people complaining how bad Jeeps are reliabilty-wise. Most of the complaints on the Jeep are with the first-year redesign in 1999. Chrysler has solved most of those problems and the 2000-2002 models have been near perfect in fit, finish and reliability. I have owned both a 2001 JGC and now a 2002 and fit and finish have been perfect, as has been reliabilty. I think the 2001-2002 Jeeps are much more reliable than most other brands out there. The Explorer, MDX, Toyota and so on are filled with build quality problems, just read the posts. And these are not just little things, some are major. Look at the engine problems with Toyota!!

I'll say it again, the newer Jeeps are now among the most reliable brands out there. Consumer reports rated the 1999 Jeep and has not had an update since. The "imports" no longer have the "reliabilty" edge as everyone seems to think.
    It doesn't matter what you buy, you can get a good vehicle or a bad one from any manufacturer.

And for "fanman8" his claims are without merit. He is basing his claim of "poor reliabilty" in the Jeep on a model that is several years old. That's fine to perhaps warn others looking for a used Jeep. But, he has not done ANY research on the newer 2000, 2001 and 2002 models which have improved dramatically. Yet he wants to badmouth the Jeep and claim the imports are so "perfect". He needs to read some of the posts in the MDX, Toyota and other "import" forums and make a list of all the CURRENT problems they have - it will be a long list for sure! Compare "Apples to Apples"!
    I hope you still feel that way after you've logged in 50,000 miles on your Jeep. Take some advice from me and purchase the extended warranty once the original warranty has run its course as I am sure it will come in handy. Front brakes at 14,000 miles is not only premature but down right absurd for any vehicle these days. The fact that you were covered under warranty helped you to ease the pain. As happy as you seem now I would wager that you won't find the same smile you are wearing some miles down the road. I consider 20,000 miles just broken in. Also, the V-8 engine while offering more horsepower and better pick up has proven itself to be more problematic than the inline 6 cylinder engine. Things to watch for- rear differential whine, transmission thump,transmission slip, faulty sending unit, engine vibration, etc. etc.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I agree with the above post u can get a good or bad vehicle from any manufacturer. I had a new 2001 honda civic that blew its engin with 1,000 miles, the radio went out, rear shocks defective, front speaker blew, talk about a lemon. I went with a 2001 ford escape and have 22,000 miles no problems. I keep up with the Jeep because i love the looks. My father purchased a 2001 laredo and has 10,000 miles an no problems what so ever and he loves it and im sure he will buy another one day. I guess i could say he is my guinnie pig cuz i was leary of the reliability, however, if his continues to perform flawless like it has i will be in a grand cherokee one of these days. I must say the asian suv are boring and have never been attracted to the under powered over priced asian imports.
    The information I post here is from personal expeirience with this vehicle. Aside from all I have posted with regards to this vehicle the major point of issue being quality proven by resale value of this vehicle. Compare the Jeep GC's resale to a comparably equipped Toyota 4 Runner and there in lies your proof. Wait until you have three or four years of ownership and then see what the resale value of your Jeep will be campared to the imports. If you believe that the domestics currently have the edge on the imports you are sadly mistaken. And, milous, if you are trying to sell that notion here most of the people that read these posts also read automotive publications like Motor Trend, Consumer Reports etc. and they already know how absurd your statement is referencing the Jeep GC as nearly perfect in fit and finish and reliability. I don't know where you found that load of poop you are trying to pass of as factual information but please let us know here where your source of this most enlightening statement's origin is from cause where I stand you are smoking something that is clearly clouding your senses.
    Information obtained from various sources combined will generaly offer a real factual overview with regards to the Jeep GC's reliability. Automotive publications and Consumer Ratings all share the same view that Chrysler has its shortcomings in this area. This is factual data that can be obtained from a varity of sources. To suggest that the JGC's reliability is somehow near perfect in reliability? Ludicrous! Even Edmund's knows that couldn't be further from the truth! Read the reviews of the 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    See what Edmuund's has to say about the new 2002 Grand Cherokee--"Quadra Drive Whine, non supportive seats, QUESTIONABLE RELIABILITY." And again-" A SPOTTY RELIABILITY RECORD prevents us from giving the JGC our whole hearted endorsement. Do these statements suggest to you that the Jeep GC's reliability is near perfect?
  • rb123rb123 Member Posts: 51
    Well fanman8, I think all you have to do is look at the sales figures, the JGC far and away out sells those imports you talk about and while I will agree you want good quality I think you also have to have a vehicle you will enjoy. I have owned three JGC's and can say I have had very few problems with any of them. I had 96 that I put a lot of miles on without a repair only normal maintance. Then I had a 99 and now an 2002 with only having to replace the front brakes on the 99 at 40k miles. As far as resale it has nothing to do with the quality it has more to do with a market flooded with lease vehicles that need to be resold supply and demand. I was just reading four wheeler magazine the 2002 Grand Cherokee named four wheeler of the year for the fourth time.
  • milousmilous Member Posts: 39
    The point is that ALL vehicles out there have their share of problems, but so many people keep focusing on the Jeeps as being so bad and the imports so good - which is not always the truth. Jeep reliability has gained in recent years and imports have slipped. The majority of 2001-2002 Jeep owners are reporting fewer and fewer problems. The 2002's have been exceptionally reliable. Meanwhile, Mustangs are catching fire, Explorers are rolling over and Toyota engines are freezing up. I consider "problems" like those far far worse than whining gears (fixable) and "non supportive seats" (I find the seats extremely comortable). "Near perfect" allows for some flaws but overall the problems NEWER Jeeps have had have for the most part been minor, especially when compared to so many other newer vehicles out there.
  • leo948leo948 Member Posts: 38
    it has been my pleasure to own a '01 jgcl for 13 months now and after 23k+ miles i'm still happy with my purchase. honestly, at the time i was hoping to buy an mdx but the waiting list was too long. having test driven both i can say that the acura is quieter but IMHO i think the fit and finish are equal and the there's nothing like a V8 to put a smile on your face. i've had to turn the rotors at 13k miles but to me IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL. the remaining 99.8% of the jeep performs.

just my .02
    drive safe!
  • bobhex40bobhex40 Member Posts: 63
    We have a 2001 GCL V8 with Quadradrive (15 K miles)and my wife and I both love it. In fact I have to pry the keys out of her hands to drive it. Regarding FANMAN8, I have read where competing manufacturers will go to chat pages of competing autos and put some bad info on just to make the vehicle look bad to those doing research prior to making a purchase. FANMAN8 does your paycheck come from Japan??
    I have no affiliation with any automotive corporation. I happen to own a Jeep Grand Cherokee as well as a Toyota Sequoia. With 15,000 miles on your JGC that hardly suggests what you may be in for down the road. I too loved my JGC until it got into the 30,000+ mile range. Then my love for this vehicle soured. I too shared the same expeiriences of having to pry the keys from my wifes hands as well. She now drives it as I want nothing to do with that vehicle. We are Keeping it only until the extended warranty runs its course. As I said in an earlier post I would highly recomend obtaining the Platinum Extended Warranty for JGC if you plan on keeping the vehicle beyond the 3 year 36,000 mile Mfg's warranty. IMO it will come in handy. For those who trade their JGC in every year or so reliability will not be an issue for them. Those vehicles will become other peoples problems in the near future. I have heard this argument before with regards to the number of JGC's sold vs the imports. If you truly believe this vehicle is equal to the imports I would certainly entertain this idea but please provide the source of this information that states this for all to view. And winning four wheeler of the year for four years in a row says volumes about 4 wheel driving but nothing about the reliability issues noted by the trade publications, myself as well as Edmund's own review of this vehicle. If your driving one that has not given you problems I would say count your blessings because many do not share that viewpoint. Are these reviews I have mentioned concocted from those of you that have no problems with their JGC's or the real world? Why would Edmund's mention the reliability issues if they were just a myth? Why does Consumer Reports share this view? I'm sorry if they offend some here but at least let the truth be known to potential buyers that their is documented truth to what I am posting here.
    I was just wondering whether the Grand Cherokee can be had with a front bench seat.
    I can walk onto any dealer lot and clunk down $28,500 for a JGC limited. This will have a V8 with trememdously more power and similar mpg to the 3.4L, a 5-speed automatic, memorized power settings, and a 7yr-100K powertrain warranty. You won't find any of that (along with a long list of extra cost options) available for your $33,000 4runner (that's $4500 for those mathematically inclined).

Resale: According to edmunds comparing limited grands and 4runners, '99 models are $19,400 and 23,200 respectively ($3800). '96 models are $12,700 and $16,400 respectively.

All things considered, I think it's obvious why the Grand easily outsells the 4runner 2 to 1. It also outsells just about all but 11 other models being built so there are just plain a bunch of them on the road.

Reliability: The difference between the highest rated vehicle and lowest is not that big of a swing. I'm not aware of a single model out there that is a flat out piece of garbage. Pretty much everything has some issues. My 97 Camry needed strut mounts because of a design flaw effecting 97-99 models. The pad/rotor issue on the grands is easily fixed by installing performance pads/rotors. Certainly not as big of a problem as the head-gaskets on 4runners a few years back. I'll buy pretty much anything out there right now as they are all well built for the most part. The niggling issues that pop up these days just aren't that big of a deal. I've owned my fair share of Toyotas as well as domestics, and today there is not that wide of a swing. Certainly not $4500 worth in this comparison as I've "heard and seen" plenty of 4runner's with problems as well.
  • smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    As found on Yahoo news...
    Chrysler Recalls 1.6 Million SUVs
    Thu Feb 14, 1:54 PM ET
    By Justin Hyde

DETROIT (Reuters) - Chrysler is recalling about 1.6 million Jeep Grand Cherokees to fix what hundreds of owners say is a tendency in the sport utility vehicles to roll backward even when their transmissions are set in "park," the carmaker said on Thursday.

Chrysler, an arm of DaimlerChrysler AG , denied any responsibility for the problem, saying driver error was the most likely cause.

Federal regulators said the company's move would not end their inquiry into a wider range of Grand Cherokees linked to 364 crashes, 159 injuries and five deaths.

Chrysler said it had found no defect that could cause the problem, but would recall the vehicles anyway to appease concerns from regulators and customers, some of whom have sued. Federal investigators have said the automaker contended most of the problems stemmed from owners getting out of the vehicle while it was still running.

The recall covers 1993 through 1998 model year Grand Cherokees in North America. Chrysler said it would install a device inside the floor shifter to help ensure the vehicle's transmission is placed firmly in park.

Chrysler also gave customers several tips to ensure their vehicles were in park, including removing the key from the ignition when leaving the vehicle.

"We're confident this recall will be resolved based on our actions," said Chrysler spokeswoman Angela Spencer Ford.

But Tim Hurd, a spokesman for the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (news - web sites), said its investigation would remain open while it reviews data from Chrysler. In addition to the vehicles recalled, the NHTSA's investigation also covers Grand Cherokees made starting in 1999, which Chrysler said had a different transmission design.

DaimlerChrysler's shares were down 62 cents at $37.79 in Thursday afternoon trading on the New York Stock Exchange (news - web sites).

One class-action lawsuit is already pending against Chrysler over the problem. Some attorneys and investigators had claimed the Grand Cherokee's transmission was designed so that it would indicate it was in park even though it was actually halfway between park and reverse.

In November, the NHTSA said one of its investigators was able to replicate the problem on a Grand Cherokee three times. Chrysler claimed the government had gone to unusual lengths to test the vehicle, and said any vehicle might be susceptible to the problem under the agency's conditions.

Hurd said the NHTSA had asked other automakers for data about any similar problems they had observed. The NHTSA so far had found that among 23 SUVs, the rate of rollaway complaints for the Grand Cherokee was five times greater than for any other automaker's SUV, and four times greater than for the Dodge Durango.

Sean Kane, head of Strategic Safety, an Arlington, Virginia-based vehicle safety research firm, said automakers often offer to recall vehicles as a way of avoiding embarrassing information coming to light in an NHTSA inquiry.

"I'm glad to hear DaimlerChrysler is taking this action because there's a whole host of people who have been injured," he said.

"Be good... or be good at it!"
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let's avoid posting copyrighted material here - the lawyers have a fit when they see it!

Short excerpts are okay with proper citation.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • ammons2ammons2 Member Posts: 1
    Tell me i am not the only one who has a loud noise coming from the differential (rear end) the shop said that it was not loud on there scale when you hit 65 the radio can't drowned it out.If you have had this problem write back and let me here your views thanks
  • tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    "Why does Consumer Reports share this view..."

WHY don't you "experts" understand that the Consumer Reports review is for a model that is FOUR years old, the 1999's!! This is also the model year that Fanman has. CR has NOT run a reliability test report since, NEITHER has anyone else. The other magazines you mention do NOT have any reliabilty figures either - they simply have stated a couple of minor things they didn't like. Everyone seems to be harping on the problems of YEARS ago, the into of the redesign in 1999. I agree with the others, my 2001 Laredo has been PERFECT. Fit and finish are perfect also, not a single minor problem at all. I just love the vehicle, what a pleasure it is to drive.

Yet, "fanman" wants to blacken the entire Jeep image based on a 4 year old vehicle that he happen to have a lot of problems with. It could have just as well been a Ford or an Acura. We'll see how long his Toyota lasts, better get the sludge remover out and hope that your warranty covers a new engine! And by the way, I have spoken with a lot of '99 Grand Cherokee owners at different events and plenty of them have had NO problems with their vehicles. Many have over 100,000 miles on their V8 engines and still runing strong.

Whatever Fanman replaces his Jeep with his chances of getting a vehicle with problems are just the same NO MATTER what brand he decides to get...one of the main reasons I like my Jeep is the looks and style, miles ahead of the others, especially the overbloated and god-awful looking Sequola or whatever they call it. I bet it's a lot of fun to park and maneuver around!
  • myersedmyersed Member Posts: 102
    Just bought a 98 JGC with 89000 miles. All appears fine after 1000 miles in last 2 1/2 weeks but have noticed some slight clunking noises in the suspension - only on rough roads. Suspicion the bushings are needing replacement but will confirm after hearing back from any experienced owners.

My questions:
    1) Any recommendations on checks or specific inspection tips to validate condition of bushings?

2) Is anyone aware of websites to identify and purchase these bushings from?

3) Any suggestions on replacement? I will do the work myself.

Thanks
    "Whatever Fanman replaces his Jeep with his chances of getting a vehicle with problems are just the same NO MATTER what brand he decides to get..." Do you really beleive that? Don't you see how absurd that statement is?
    "It could have just as well been a Ford or an Acura. A Ford well maybe, an Acura, NOT LIKELY!

Ammons2- You have a differential that is noisy. The noise you are hearing is most likely the whine of gears that are prematurely wearing. This is a common problem with the JGC. Mine was replaced and the new one is getting louder and louder just like the original one. I'll have it replaced near the end of my warranty around the time I get rid of it.
    tloke1 I don't wish to blacken Jeeps image. That is not my intent. I do, however, want people that are looking for reliable Sport Utility vehicles to be aware that the Jeep Grand Cherokee is a Chryser Product and hence it's reliability is compromised. But hey, its not just me that feels this way. Edmunds own review of the 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee addresses the problems associated with its reliablity. They at least seem to feel the new Jeep Grand Cherokee still has problems with its reliability. I welcome your comments on Edmunds review. It sounds like you may have a good Jeep. Well, count your blessings. Comparing the Jeep GC to an Acura in terms of reliability is really where you've lost all credibility with me. Please!!!
    Sorry fanman, in the 1990s sure, but not for the current models. Compare the 2002 JGC's to The MDX for example. In the forums, I counted nearly 40 different problems with the MDX. Everything from wind noise to weeping mirrors to seats that don't fold flat to a cheap interior and the list goes on and on. You'll hardly find a negative post anywhere on the 2002 Grand Cherokee's. Build quality, fit and finish and reliability are exceptional. Owners are extremely pleased. Meanwhile, Acura buyers are bending way over and getting screwed by the dealers. Profits of $6000-$9000 are very common. Now take those figures into consideration when figuring depreciation. You've lost $10k the day you buy one. Plus, you get a nice selection of up to 40 different problems and quirks. All for $40,000. Yep, let me get in line now! Oh, and start saving your money for those $2000 30k tune-ups!
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    Yes have had a 1996,1999,and now a 2002. Hope this one is a good or better than the others.
    Never had rotor/brake peoblems, did have rear spindle bearings go in the 1999, and the radio in the 96, all were fixed in one day. Front axle wine in both, and driver power window motor in the 99. Besides that they have been great. If only could get more than 14 miles/gallon around town, 21/22 on the road is good.
    Test drove an 02 CRV no thanks.
    With all the consumer cash DC is giving towards the GC I am getting a sunroof this time and still keeping close to the same lease payment as my 99.
    Mike
    You said that you have a 2001 JGC that has been perfect and your not surprised (and it is expected) that the 1999 that fanman has alot of problems. Its strange to me that you consider a 3 year old vehicle "old". Why should you not still have good reliability at 3 years. Toyotas Hondas and Nissans are just starting to break in by that point. I have a 1990 Ford Mustang that I bought brand new that has nothing but nomal wear and tear maintenance needs and a cruise control part that broke.

I think we just have different levels of expectations. Yours are obviously lower probably because you have come to accept the Chrysler problems as "normal" (?).
    " think we just have different levels of expectations. Yours are obviously lower probably because you have come to accept the Chrysler problems as "normal" (?)"

WHAT problems? I haven't had any with any of the Jeeps I've owned. But you must be right since you have a Mustang that has only one problem. The focus here, in case you have missed it, is a comparison between the NEWER models. You still want to talk about Mustangs?