Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• bluesun99bluesun99 Member Posts: 16
    May I change the subject for a second. Need some figures from GC 4.7 V8 4WD owners. Trading my 97 GC 6 cly. this month for a 2002GC. Torn between a six or V8. Had two sixes and got decent mileage out of both. Don't know dip about what to expect from the eight. Will some of you '99 thru '02 V8 owners please post your mileage, city and highway, so I can can use it as a basis to make up my feeble mind on getting a eight or six. Any other input appreciated. Thanks
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    Did the Grand Cherokee replace the Grand Wagoneer?

When did they make the last (Grand?) Wagoneer?

I saw one last night, and really, really like the styling. I also like the size and bulk and useful space.

What motors did these come with?
  • gotothelightgotothelight Member Posts: 31
    Just stopped in to see what was happening over here on the JGC and read with much interest the post from tloke1 regarding the MDX. Wow, talk about no creditabuilty. 40 problems with the MDX and a loss of 10k the day you drive one off the dalers lot. Sounds lik a really bad case of sour grapes. I bought an MDX and happen to like my choice. I also like the JGC and love it's off road cappibilties. Is Tloke1 one of those flame guys who likes to write truly stupid remarks in hopes of getting responses? Maybe the best thing to do is just ignore this poster and get on with real point of these conversations, which, I think, is to understand ones own vechule better and ask revel ant questions.
  • fanman8fanman8 Member Posts: 65
    Vehicles that demonstrate surperior quality year after year after year like the Acura's, Honda's, Toyota's, Nissan's, Lexus's, are widely known in the automotive industry as leaders and are considered benchmarks for all auto manufacturers to follow. To suggest that the MDX is beneath the Jeep Grand Cherokee in terms of quality, fit and finish is so rediculous it just points out the level to which you will stretch the truth to prove a point. The thing you don't see when you make statements like that is that other Jeep Grand Cherokee owners who are at least of average intelligence have to read garbage like that and think- My God! Has he put his foot in his mouth this time!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let's stick to the issues and not attack the person!

Thanks.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Is the Grand Cherokee a descendent of the Grand Wagoneer? Any other Grand Wagoneer info???

I really, really, really like these.
  • tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    "gotothelight", what do you mean "no credibility"?? I stated that when someone buys an MDX they will lose up to $10,000 immediately in depreciation. A TRUE fact. If you were to trade one in the first thing you lose is the dealer profit - in the cases with the MDX that is very substantial, usually $6,000-$10,000. My purpose in stating this was that someone had stated how bad depreciation was on Jeeps. The MDX may have a decent resale value, but the first thing you lose is the difference between wholesale value and retail value, a very large sum in the case of the MDX because of the price gouging. The MDX is a great vehicle, I never said otherwise. The second fact is that I counted more than 40 different problems on the message boards that MDX owners were complaining about, isn't that enough proof that the MDX has its share of quality problems just like most other new vehicles? I'm comparing the newer Grand Cherokees and am saying that the problems reported with the newer Jeep vehicles are far less than they ever used to be. I don't deny that the 1999 GC's were very problematic, they were! And what do you mean "one of those flame guys"? You fault me for defending inaccurate claims that Imports are so perfect? Acura's and other competing vehicles have lots of QC problems too! 40 different problems on a vehicle does not constitute incredible reliabilty and quality workmanship. Acura is rushing those vehicles to market and they HAVE let their QC slip in the past couple years, as is evident by the MDX problems. And yes, I agree Acura's overall track record is outstanding, no denying that. But I am not talking the past ten years, I am talking current vehicles and simply stated that Jeep has improved tremendously lately while Acura and some others have slipped in the opposite direction.
  • jwnihilljwnihill Member Posts: 3
    I enjoy all of your opinions and shared experiences. I'm into the home-stretch on my 3rd (2000) JGCL and can only say that after 37k my only gripe is the brake rotors. Had to replace all 4 at 16k and resurface the new ones at 26k. I have never had such radical brake problems in 36 years of driving (except in my 97 JGC) so I'm willing to go out on a limb and accuse DC of perpetually poor brake design. However, compared to the ruptured AC core in my 94 and the 15-20 electrical problems in my 97, this vehicle has been a joy. My quandry now is deciding whether to buy this Jeep and hope my luck persists or bail out start looking around. My current JGC is 6cyl, Selectrac, w/ most options. Any opinions will be appreciated. Also, is there a better brake replacement package I should be looking at? Thanks.
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    I drove it around a bit today 55 miles or so, the sun roof is huge and the stereo is great. Everything seems to be in good shape. As I said before this is my third GC. Besides that who would have thought my military discharge papers from 30 years ago were worth 500 bucks. Mike
  • milousmilous Member Posts: 39
    Well I think I will step back from the controversy here and just say that I am a very pleased 2002 JGC owner. I love the vehicle and in fact is one of the most comfortable and fun-to-drive cars I have ever owned.

I will agree with tloke however and say that I have read a lot of different message boards, for the Explorer, MDX, Toyota, and the GM models during the past couple years , and there are plenty of problems and complaints about all of them. You can get a lemon from any manufacturer, or you can get something that ends up being trouble free.

All things taken into consideration, I'll gladly take my long-term chances on the Jeep, for in my opinion what it offers in features, convenience and style far outweigh any negatives.

So it really doesn't matter what you buy, you are either going to have problems or you are not. And I wouldn't base my final decision solely on what I read in all the different message posts, as there is just as much good as bad written about ALL of the SUV choices out there. It's best just to go out and test drive 4 or 5 different cars you are interested and pick the one you like the most based on style, ride comfort, features and so on. There were things I liked on the Explorer, the MDX, and the all of the new GM models. I went with the Jeep and am glad I did. Others will be happy with what they choose regardless of any problems encountered by others.
    I have the 4.7 HO engine and have been getting 16mpg combined City/HWY. If it wasn't for my heavy foot I'm sure it would be a couple MPG higher. I would definitely go for the V8 over the I6 as I believe the mileage difference between them is neglible and the extra power is well worth it. Search thru the forums at Jeeps Unlimited as they have done some polls in the past on this very subject.
  • venadolocovenadoloco Member Posts: 10
    "silly question again" The Grand Wagoneers are a neat prehistoric vehicle that have a cult following. Check out this address for info:

http://wagonmasters.com/

They appear to be very high dollar but the vehicles that I have seen at this dealer are looking almost new.
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    I averaged 16.1 mpg over the last 15,000 mi., combined city/hwy. The highest mileage I can obtain is a highway trip on cruise control at 63 mph, which averages 21 - 22 mpg, confirmed by the trip computer and gas purchase.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I was a bit offended by the Isuzu Axiom commercials taking a stab at the Grands awhile back. Found this link interesting:

http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svolsu.asp

Only 492 sales out of over 275,000 SUV's sold in January. I guess when your a company where combined SUV sales still don't eqaul 1% of the market your only chance is cheap-shots.

• ironrootironroot Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Some of the Chicago-area Jeep dealers are advertising this weekend that they are selling new 2002 GC Laredo's and GC Limited's at $5,000 below invoice.

Is this a national incentive offering?? Anybody in other areas of the country seen this? Any catches to this deal?

Thanks...
    Fanman, did you catch this:

The MDX scored a "below average" in CR's emergency handling test. Most SUV's score either "average" (ML320, RX300, Pathfinder, 4Runner) or "below average" (e.g. Explorer, Envoy, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and even the VSC-equipped Highlander). The X5 scores "above average," however. CR apparently will not recommend any SUV that scores "well below average" (the solid black dot), but will recommend an SUV if it scores "below average."

"With average stops from 60 of 132 feet, our drivers noticed a tendency for the rear end to step out slightly, causing the need for a bit of correction."

"When pushed to its cornering limits, though, the MDX fishtails easily, compromising its emergency handling. Electronic stability control would likely help."

"I've got a 2001 MDX and found the driver's seat very uncomfortable. That's because the side bolsters are very steep and very firm."

--- 1st visit: Reported a thud noise at only very slow speeds
    --- 2nd visit: Thud noise still there
    --- 3rd visit:
    (Service: fixed steering problem, and rebalanced
    wheels)
    --- 4th visit: They had it for two days.
    (Service: rotated tires and rebalance wheels)

"I felt like I was looking at the dash of the Odyssey (couldnt shake the feeling that I was driving a minivan on steroids)"

"road noise was louder than I expected"

"My MDX is about one and a half month new. I have been having problems in starting the engine at times"

There are some good things to say but Acura is behind the Jeep in many areas as you can clearly see. There's a reason the GC continues to be one of the top selling trucks in the USA.
  • ness5575ness5575 Member Posts: 29
    my gf recently purchased a '93 jgc with quadra-trac. i was looking in the owners manual and noticed that it says that the mini-spare should not be used with the quadra-trac or "accident could result." so i figured that they must have included a full size spare - wrong. besides the obvious question of why jeep would incude a mini spare if it was going to cause an accident - is using this spare really something that should be avoided? is it ok to drive with it slowly for a few miles to a tire shop? any help would be appreciated - i hate to think she would get a flat and not be able to use the spare...
    I will agree with you that the JGC outsells the MDX. It outsells many outstanding SUV's as well. In January JGC was in the top 5 in sales volume. In emergency handling the MDX got a below average rating. But, so did the JGC. One owner's view of what he or she discussed above - thud,steering problem adjusment, balancing of tires, road noise louder than expected, uncomfortable seats. While these are not favorable atributes that any luxurious SUV should have they are not nearly as offensive to me as poor designed brake rotors that fail prematurely, poorly designed rear end differntials, poorly designed sending units that allow you to run out of gas but your gas gage says you've got over a 1/4 of a tank,and countless transmission failures. Maybe, some of these problems are from older JGC's but then Chrysler has been making the JGC since about 1993. Why have these same old problems not been addressed on 98 And 99 models? Most of the problems I have listed on the JGC are the same problems that have been documented on earlier model years. Why does Chrysler not correct these well known documented design flaws?
    Belive me, I have no axe to grind with you and I am sorry if I may have been somewhat harsh as the moderator of this forum has noted. For that I apologize. I do see why the Jeep Grand Cherokee's sell. First of all they look great, they ride nice, their V-8 has plenty of power. The 4wheel drive capabilities are stellar. If the problems I had with mine didn't happen I can tell you I would be praising this vehicle also. Aside from the quality issues it is a very nice truck. And I would agree with Edmund's asessment of the JGC that because of the quality control issues the vehicle could not be fully endorsed by them. Enjoy your ride!
  • olizerolizer Member Posts: 38
    I'm really a lurker and usually only read (and learn) rather than post but I don't think you're being fair with post 868. All vehicles have individual problems so I don't think it's fair to list all that you've heard or read about. Go stand at any brand's service writers desk and you could write a book. I wouldn't attribute "balancing of tires or steering adjustments" as a JGC across the board problem. "Road noise" louder that expected????
    C'mon this is a Jeep that people forget is a true off roader not a yuppie mobile such as Cadillac, Lincoln, Lexus, BMW or the other "SUV's" that have never seen dirt. You can't have it both ways - either off road capable or comfy ride.
    Seats - I think the seats in my 98 ZJ are more comfortable than those in my daughters FZJ80 (Land Cruiser).
    Yes, the rotors in JGC ZJs and WJs do warp and I can't understand why Chrysler doesn't spend the $10 a unit and upgrade them. The gas tank sending unit problem was a 97/early 98 problem and was covered under warranty. I do not know what you're referring to about transmission/rear diff problems. I frequent the Jeep board from another group in which the members go off road all the time such as the Rubicon Trail, Moab, etc, and they have never mentioned trans problems and seldom talk of rear diff difficulties. Of course there are some differentials blown and repaired due to severe off roading. (Everyone should look at TRUE off roading sites - you would think that Jeeps should not go "there" and I agree; you would have to see to believe. I've never seen a Caddy, Lincoln - or even Suburbans there). The 98 ZJs are very good vehicles, the newer 99WJs had some start up problems but now the 2000/1/2 are mostly doing well. "The noisy wheel gets the most grease" or the people with vehicle problems post the most because they feel "taken". In summary - JGCs shouldn't be singled out; if you are going to criticize one; criticize all.
    Fanman8, I guess all I really want to see on the message boards is a more balanced assessment of the different vehicles out there when talking about "reliability" or fit and finish. It just seems that everyone really comes down so hard on Jeeps while at the same time sings the praises of the "imports". I have spent massive amounts of time during the past year or two reading various boards representing all of the different SUV manufacturers, and I have to say every single one of them has plenty of problems to discuss. In fact, Jeep is not even near the top of the list for most problems and annoyances noted.

The rotor problem that the Jeeps have had is really inexcusable as it has gone on for so many years. I, like so many others cannot begin to fathom why DC has not solved this problem once and for all. And yes, even the brand new 2002 Jeeps have the same old crappy rotors. Unbelievable, really. Rotors aside, though, the new 2001 and 2002 models have indeed come a long way from the horrors of the 1999 model year. Like Olizer, I have not heard of trans or rear end problems.

I recently spoke with a friend of mine who is the Service Manager at a major Ford dealer. I was telling him I got a new Jeep and joked about the fact that I would probably have to get the rotors replaced in a few months as it seemed to be a "Jeep problem". He said that no, it's not only Jeeps with cheap rotors, it's a lot of the SUVs out there that are using "car rotors" that were not designed for "trucks" and that I would not believe how many Explorer's come through his shop with the exact same problem - warped rotors. And yet, one hardly ever reads about rotor problems in anything but Jeeps.

Fanman8, apology accepted...

And Olizer, you are dead on here: "In summary - JGCs shouldn't be singled out; if you are going to criticize one; criticize all"!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard! We're glad you finally decided to come out of the shadows and join the discussion. I have a theory that we can learn a lot from lurkers if only they'd speak up!

C'mon lurkers - hint hint!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    "#860 Jeep Reliabilty by milous

Well I think I will step back from the controversy here and just say that I am a very pleased 2002 JGC owner."

How can you comment on reliability? It is less than a year old. Come back in 2 or 3 years and tell us how reliable it is.

THAT is why the 1997, 1998, 1999 opinions are important here.
    Thanks for that link.

I wish Texas were a bit closer to Massachusetts.

I also wish Jeep would bring back that car.

I saw one once at the Cape with the fake woodgrain gone and real wood in it place put on with authentic brass screws! It was the coolest, classiest looking wagon/suv I have ever seen!
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I recently purchased (in November) a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SE, 6-cyl, select trac. It had 49K on it when I bought it and had 2 previous owners, one was a lady who leased it for 3 years and the other was a guy who only owned it for 6 months (he traded it for a minivan, needed more room).

I went to the Jeep dealer to pull service records on the Jeep......none found, in other words it had never been in for service. I have had zero problems with it and it appears the previous owners had zero problems with it too. It currently has 57K on it and I plan on keeping it until it hits at least 150K.

I can't say for a minute that my Jeep isn't reliable, I love it. BTW, this is my second Jeep GC and its more reliable than my last one, although my 94 GC wasn't bad by any means, just a little leaky at times.
  • dennis81dennis81 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know how to remove the factory cross bars on roofrack of the 2000 JGC? I have a Yakima system attached to the rails, but the factory crossbars are in the way. With my Explorer, I was able to loosen a couple of screws and slide them off, but I can't figure these out. I've seen other JGC's without the cross bars so there must be a way to get them off.
  • tasillotasillo Member Posts: 51
    My '00 GCL Quadra-Drive V-8 is on the second fuel pump and needs a third due to faulty check valve. The valve let's fuel siphon back to the tank and thus there is no pressure at the injectors when you start the car. It will eventually start, but only after 20-30 seconds of cranking. Anyone else have this difficulty?

I've also gone through 3 sets of pads and s 2est of rotors in 28k. Similar problem on my '97 Suburban, although '00 Tahoe was OK. Seems the rotors are just to small/thin and get excessively hot. As posted earlier, if the mfg's. would just spent 10 bucks more when specing the part, they'd save a ton in warranty costs.

Otherwise, noisy, thirsty and rough riding, but goes anywhere and is the perfect size. Wouldn't buy another one, but not totally unhappy with the Jeep.
    There is a snap-on plastic cap at the rear end of each side rail. Just pry out on the sides of the caps and pull them off. The crossbars will then slide straight off the back. Here is a pic of the end cap which will give you a better idea of how it is attached:
    http://www.wjjeeps.com/crossrailcap.jpg
    When I referenced the thud, steering problem adjustments, balancing of tires, road noise louder than expected, uncomfortable seats they were problems one MDX owner had with his MDX that tloke brought here from an unhappy MDX owner and I was not talking about the Jeep Grand Cherokee with respect to those issues. You misunderstood that portion of my post. See post 866 where tloke discusses the MDX owner's problem in question.

Tloke, you are right brake rotors are a problem with other auto manufacturers also. After some further research I am finding that poorly designed brake rotors (metal to thin) are warping and not just on Jeeps. I too beleive that it is inexcusable for Jeeps or any make for that matter to produce poor quality brake rotors year after year.
    "# 872 How can you comment on reliability? It is less than a year old. Come back in 2 or 3 years and tell us how reliable it is."

I can comment on reliability for several reasons - I also owned a 2001 Grand Cherokee, I have family members/relatives with 1990's Jeeps, I have friends who own 2000 model and older Jeeps, and I have read, for years, thousands of posts on different message boards...

"THAT is why the 1997, 1998, 1999 opinions are important here."

Yes, they are important, but moreso if you are buying a particular year of vehicle and are checking out that model year. BUT one cannot look at reliability results from a 1999 model for example and assume that later models will have the same problems. Just because 1999 Jeeps were problematic does not mean that there will be similar unreliability on every model after that. Some issues, like the brake rotors are carried over from year to year and have not been solved, but other than that MOST of the other 1999 and earlier Jeep problems have been eliminated making the newer Jeep models JUST AS RELIABLE as other top SUV's out there - that's my point.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    You want reliability and build quality? Buy a Volvo, and only those after '93. My '94 850 is so dependable it's not even funny. And yes, I find the fit and finish better than any Jeep product (no offense, I hope).
  • paramedic99paramedic99 Member Posts: 64
    Joining the chat after a long haitus. Just bought a 2002 GJC and am looking forward to some nice on and off road drive time. Booted by Dodge 1500 4dr 4WD since I no longer needed that utility.

Let me say this. I have talked to everyone including mechanics at various dealers that are close friends of mine. All vehicles have issues and for various reasons. I thought the GMC Envoy looked nice til a GM mechanic that works on them each day told me they were junk. The same I have heard of Explorers which I dare not even consider in the same class as a Jeep.

My sister owns a Cherokee and has had it for 3 years (its a 99) without any problems including brakes and has 49K on it. Odd ? Perhaps.

I spoke to a Jeep mechanic from a large local dealer who said - problems ??? sure, rotors and a/c before 1999.

My point ? Everyone has an opinion and all vehicles have issues. Jeep makes a good on road and off road product and I believe whole heartedly that in lieu of posting more, I will do and play off road.

I plan to check back over the next few years and will gladly report any problems I have.

Now for my one question - why the hell did they get rid of cross bars on the roof racks ???
    The only things I could think of are big ones to manufacturers: gas mileage and lower cost.
  • dennis81dennis81 Member Posts: 7
    Maybe they got rid of them for the same reason I'm trying to get mine off - they get in the way of those Yakima and Thule rack systems. Milous, thanks for the tip on how to remove mine. With the pictures, even I should be able to do that job.

I got a faring for the roof rack and will be driving from NJ to ME next week with it. We'll see if that helps my terrible mileage and/or the wind noise.
    Whats the MPG you are averaging that you feel is dismal ?
  • myersedmyersed Member Posts: 102
    Folks- I am new to the Jeep scene and this website and need help. Is there a "maintenance site" or possibly some specific individuals that can better respond to maintenance needs regarding the bushings on my 98 Grand Cherokee. I posted a note last week and received no reponse and assume it is because I may be in the wrong forum.

I have specific questions regarding the inspection and replacement of the front 4x4 bushings for my vehicle.

Please advise or contact me directly if you can help Ed I can also be reached at myersed@clas.net
  • washsqwashsq Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2002 JGC with V8 in December and have been very happy. It's both big and quick. Well...we brought it in for its first oil change and they tell us that the power steering pump is leaking and needs to be replaced. The service guys were great but I'm now a little nervous. I'll keep you posted.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    I would be alot nervous with all the problems I've seen with Chryslers. Its no wonder Daimer is screaming about how poorly Chrysler is doing in the US.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    posts, and, I have read a number of people compare the JGC with GMC Envoy, but not much comparison with 2002 Explorer...when you folks went SUV shopping, did anyone do an extended comparison with 2002 Explorer, and what did you like/dislike...I do not wish to begin a new comparison topic, just get some feedback from those who compared...I have been very impressed with the 2002 Explorer, much improved over the last model, and truly never noticed the JGC... suddenly, after noticing them on the highway, I thought I'd ask the "greatest panel of experts the world has ever seen"...your thoughts are appreciated...acceleration, handling, ride comfort, driver's seat support, sound system quality, how you feel after a long drive of 5-7 hours, visibility from driver's seat, braking ability (assuming rotors are functioning LOL), steering responsiveness, and any other parameter that comes to your mind...thanx
    parameters of comparison, including roominess, ease of entry/exit (do you need a ladder to get in, or can you easily step in like an Explorer), dashboard layout and ergonomics of dash switches, ease of tailgate use (easy to open/close and put groceries inside, or is a step ladder needed to reach inside), headroom (does your head hit the roof or ample clearance), height, length, width, and are the outside mirrors of adequate size for ample viewing, or did they cut corners with tiny mirrors (something that irks me a lot on passenger cars)...thanx again...
    I owned a '97 Explorer for 4 years. I then traded it in for the 2001 Explorer Sport. Both vehicles were excellent, just a couple minor problems that the dealer easily fixed. When news of the redesigned '02 model hit I was most interested. I started researching them right away and followed all the news from early on until they hit the showrooms. At that time I took a few for a test drive and was very close to ordering one. The only thing stopping me at the time were two of the delayed options that I wanted. Since I wasn't in a big hurry to get a new vehicle I decided to just wait until one hit the lots with the right options rather than order one. During the months ahead the Explorer ran into the recall problems and I began to question the build quality. I started looking at other SUV's and comparing them to the Explorer. The GM trio was just coming out so I looked at those. Some great features & options on them but didn't like the "bulgy" look. So I went back to considering the Explorer and drove one again. Here is what I found, in no particular order:

1. The overall ride quality did not seem all that improved to me, but mainly because the seat was not very comfortable, too stiff. Going over bumps though was much quieter and softer than the '01 model.
    2. I absolutely hated the tilt wheel mechanism. It's like the import models with the 2-step awkward process and stiff lever. This may seem a trivial complaint but if you are in and out of your vehicle 10 or 20 times a day it's real annoying. One of the reasons I decided against the Explorer. Clunky and un-intuitive to say the least.
    3. The power seat controls are illogically located down near the floor, hard to reach and hard to operate. One of those quirks that you wonder how anyone could have been stupid enough to design. Didn't anyone at Ford ever sit in the car and ever try things out?
    4. The overall lack of quality and thought for the interior. You can really tell Ford cut corners on the redesign. Too basic and cheap looking, too much plastic. No innovative conveniences. You can tell that “Cost reduction was Job # 1.
    5. Blind spots from the "D" pillars, much wider than previous models.
    6. Third row seat flaw. The hot new feature Ford bragged so much about. Nice idea, poor engineering. Amazingly, the seats do not fold flat. I couldn't believe it. They stick up several inches and cannot be pushed down all the way! One salesman told me that I could just remove the seat like in minivans. Yeah, right. I looked at several more and all were the same. What moron signed off on that? Even one of the brochure pictures showed the seats perfectly flat! Since I couldn't find a model w/o the 3rd seat I was quickly leaning away from the Explorer.
    7. Tried to get used to the exterior looks and convince myself it was a nice looking vehicle. But too boxy and square. Ford did not put much time into the exterior design. One highlight though I did like was the rear cargo window/door design. Now that was creative! Nice low load level too.
    8. I had no problem with headroom or legroom at my 5’11 height. Getting in was easier than on my ’97. One of the options I was waiting for was the V8 so I only drove the V6. which was too weak to my liking.

In summary of the Explorer, overall I kind of liked it but too many quirks and annoyances got in the way. The power seats, non-flat seats, cheap interior and tilt wheel did it in. Add to the fact that when I traded in my ’97 they really low-balled me saying that “Explorers are just too common”. That means the ‘02s will take a big hit too come trade-in time, especially since the model year is running 1-1/2 years. And, are the new models still prone to rollover problems??? I don't trust them. And I don't trust Ford products anymore. Jaques really messed things up and it will take Ford awhile to get out of their quality and design slump and build better vehicles. When they do, I might consider one again.

Now onto the Jeep. After I took one for a test drive I fell in love. Awesome and comfortable ride. All of the controls were easy to use and thoughtfully laid out. Creature comforts everywhere. You could tell that the people designing this vehicle were true enthusiasts and into what they were doing. Quality fit and finish throughout. The Infinity sound system is awesome for a factory system. Visibility is no problem at all. Longest drive so far about 6 hours and was perfect all the way. No discomfort at all. Cruised at 60-100 mph and it was smooth as silk. Tons of power with the V8. This was one of the nicest vehicles I had ever driven and I was sold. I’m not worried about any problems that might arise, as you see by all the posts here and on other boards every company has problems but the new Jeeps have come a long way. As fun and exciting as this vehicle is to drive, I’ll take my chances. Go out and drive a Jeep Limited or an Overland and see what you think.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Interested in knowing what the differance in $ would be to trade my wifes 2000 w/17000 miles on it for a like 2002. 2000 in perfect condition.

Saw previous post of veteran discount. Also in local paper mention was made of 'up to $1000 loyalty discount' Would appreciate any info on these or other 'hidden' discounts.

Most important what do you think my differance cost would be to trade my 2000 for2002?
  • peachtree103peachtree103 Member Posts: 182
    marsha7: I've owned 2 prior Jeeps (89 Cherokee Limited & 96 Grand Cherokee V8 4WD) and Fords, (no explorers, however). I just helped a family member purchase a Grand Cherokee and briefly looked at an 02 Explorer. I prefer the Jeep because, to me, it is sportier (doesn't feel as bulky, surprisingly nimble for the size & weight) and because, IMO, seems to have higher quality interior materials. This is the opinion of someone who doesn't have a wife, kids, or dogs to truck around.

If you are looking at more of a people hauler, I would probably suggest waiting a month for the 03 Expedition for comparison. The pricing difference compared to the V8 explorers isn't signifcant, and you get a much larger, more comfortable vehicle.

I noticed you are in Atlanta. If you decide on the Jeep, I highly recommend Jasper Jeep in Jasper. They are the original one price dealer, no haggles, and no tricks in the business office (They won't even sell extended warranties or credit life insurance). Great people, worth the drive.

Greasykid: On the smart shopper board, there is a forum called "Real World Trade In Values". There are a few used car dealers who volunteer a lot of their time giving recent auction prices for trade values. Very helpful and often amusing advice. Suggest a re-post over there.
  • 95tahoe95tahoe Member Posts: 4
    I am in the process of trying to decide whether to buy a 2002 Laredo Sport or a Chevy Trailblazer LS. Both priced out within $100 of each other. Does anyone have any suggestions on which vehicle I should purchase?

Brian
    thank you both for the quick responses...how silly of me, considering recent history... possibility of rollover...I thought Ford widened the Explorer to reduce the chance of rollover, but I have never heard anything about JGC rollover problems...does the Grand Cherokee have a greater or lesser tendency to roll than the Explorer, or is any data available???...yes, I live in Atlanta, and thanx for the reco of Jasper Jeep...quite far away, but may be worth the trip..
  • peachtree103peachtree103 Member Posts: 182
    Any SUV will have a higher rollover tendency than a sedan because of the higher center of gravity. Wouldn't base the decision between these two on that basis, but if so, it would be another reason to consider the Expedition over the Explorer, if you're leaning Ford.

As for Jasper, I live SOUTH of the Airport, so Jasper was a little over an hour drive. Went on the recommendation of several friends, just to shut them up. I was extremely impressed. They were the #1 Jeep dealer in the country in the 70's and 80's, before Atlanta got so many Jeep dealers. You could probably save a few hundred dollars shopping their prices elsewhere, but they are the most laid back, no pressure (not low pressure but no pressure) guys in the business. Call ahead for an appointment if you're going on a Saturday, they're usually quite busy.
    Depends on what you want. They are both good choices, but I tend to think the Trailblazer wouldn't last long off the beaten path. I use a 4X4 for more than light snow so the nod goes to the GC in my book. Now my wife could get by with a trailblazer but she hates SUV's.

The trailblazers I've driven were akward for me to get into because they had weird running boards. It seems to sit alot higher than the Jeep, but doesn't gain any ground clearance so not sure what's going on there. Feel kinda "fat" handling/steering wise as well. Like the motor, but it's still doesn't have the V8 ring to it. I like the new Tahoe better than the trailblazer because I figure if somethings going to sit high and drive fat it might as well BE big.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Well, they had to come drag my '00 Laredo onto a carrier to take it to the repair shop Saturday afternoon. Wife called about noon..she was stuck at the gas pump a couple of miles from home...key would not turn in switch. Went down and with a few well placed taps on the steering column, it finally turned and started. When she got it home and turned it off, it locked up again. Called roadside assistance and they sent the hauler out. Local Chr/Jeep dealer service open until 5 pm Saturday. They did not have the ignition switch that needs replacing, but did loan me a 'demo' Neon since the rental agency they use was closed. Dealer is going to fix the dead driver side power window while it is in the shop.
    Almost 30,000 miles... rotors, power window, fuel pump repair...not too bad, though I did have to replace the rotors myself since previous 5 star dealer & DC would not replace. DC never responded after dealer blew me off.

The '00 is still slightly better than the '99 I traded in on it. It needed 2 sets of rotors, 2 power window motors, rear end rebuilt due to whine, shift interlock replaced.

I may break down and buy an extension to the warranty up through 4 years/75000 miles. The trade-in value is about $3000 less that it was on the '99 when I traded it in on the '99 with about the same mileage. I guess the $2000 or more drop in price they had last year has really shafted folks who bought them before...also, all the incentives are dropping the value of trade-ins.
    I typically do not purchase Ford products based on various experiences of friends etc. I do not believe the Explorer to be off road capable and in my view this was not an option.

Regarding rollover risk. This is typically avoidance related, and driver activity. I have seen many vehicle rollovers as a medic and firefighter and few have been with JGC. Many Explorers, Toyota P/U's. Wranglers, Isuzu Rodeos and the usual small SUV's. This could be for many reasons including the skill and/or carefulness with which the driver operates. Trust me you can flip anything.

NY Paramedic
    paramedic backs up what a salvage yard operator once told me. He said he sees very few Grand Cherokees or Cherokees that have gone wheels up. Explorers by far the most according to him. I've seen several accidents where an Explorer was flipped over, and actually witnessed one. I don't think it was so much the truck as the driver. They were going 80mph in the rain and hydro'd staight to the median and flipped. Anything (cars including) can and will flip once you hit the median that fast. From what I've seen, Explorers win the award for "most incompentent drivers".

I do believe that Firestone tires were blowing, although I think alot had to do with the Explorers pitiful 26psi recommended tire pressure. I don't think a tire blowing out should cause a vehicle to flip unless the driver did something stupid. Not going to say it CAN'T happen, but I think a blown tire and whipping the steering would quickly turn things upside down. Car and Driver did a test where they completely deflated a tire at all different speeds and the Explorer never exhibited any strange handling characteristics. Of course they didn't do anything stupid like whip the steering around.

I can't figure out how or why they sell so many of the things as I think they are terrible.