Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• kxnkxn Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to purchasing 98 ML320 w/22K miles. Anyone know of any reason I shouldn't buy it, ie chronic defects, etc. Thanks
  • bargamon2bargamon2 Member Posts: 39
    Whats a scribble? or the act of scribbling?
  • parfive1parfive1 Member Posts: 75
    I'd post some thoughts regarding my wifes new 00 ML430, but she won't let me drive it. :-(
    Oh well, the passenger seat is comfortable.
  • tj98tj98 Member Posts: 8
    Pulling stranded cars out of ditches:

I used a heavy duty nylon tow rope that comes with two safety hooks attached to its ends (costs about $20 in local hardware stores - I always carry one). In all cases the ML was pulling in reverse because I want to see what is going on. The rope was attached to the tow hook in the front of the ML and to the appropriate tow point on the other vehicle. It is easy if you have the right rope.

thor3:
    Apologies: I thought it was ETS not ESP. "Whiner" was apparently a carryover statement from previous messages that I read (about 600 of them in one stretch...). '98 is not such a bad truck and I plan to keep mine for a while. With all the bashing that it is getting here there might be some good bargains out there as we speak for people who want to buy a used one.

Speaking of ESP, is there anyone who had a "real" experience with it in an ML? Any comments? Is this all software based (receiving data from existing sensors already in place for other systems), or is there an additional (inertially controlled?) sensor that talks to the computer? I tried brake assist in a 2000 ML and was not impressed (maybe I am a heavy footer to start with :-) ). Of course it was "designed" not "accidental" so it may be better than I thought in a real case.

Have fun!

TJ
  • jmcdowelljmcdowell Member Posts: 13
    I think you'll find that your elbow or that of a passengers is hitting the rear window control buttons on the back of the center console. I have a friend who puts down the back windows everytime he rides in the truck! He just sprawls out and hits those buttons.---Jeff
  • noelb1noelb1 Member Posts: 19
    Did you happen to have a child sitting in child seat in the center rear seat who was swinging his/her little foot into one of those window switches. Just a guess.
  • alexandria2alexandria2 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking into buying a new ML. Does any one know if Mercedes is planning a facelift for the ML any time soon? Any sites that I could get some info on this?

Thanks for your help.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Coming home today in the ice/snow, I took another turn "normally", and normally on the gas. The cool thing was that I heard the independant brakes activate because I heard the vibration of the ABS go off (ice), but I wasnt pressing the brake at all!

Does the ML have four wheel INDEPENDANT ABS brakes? Is this what it was? I'm assuming so.

I think it really depends on the amount of steering you input too, compared to this morning.

I love playing with the snow.

Robert
  • mbml55amgmbml55amg Member Posts: 57
    The ML55 does indeed have a 12 volt air compressor located behind the spare tire.
  • mikestaleymikestaley Member Posts: 35
    The Silver ML didn't look like it had a rear hitch to me...

I am a member of the rear hitch for safety and occasional towing.

Secondary shots - The Green ML towing looked like "It" had a big problem.

Mike
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    I don't remember meeting a Rick there. I thought my salesman (Jerry Pillari) was honest though...not something you find nowadays (had to go through all the dealerships around here before I found him...wasn't comfortable w/ the others).
    Sounds like MB dropped the $2K incentive on the MY2K models?
  • ran111ran111 Member Posts: 9
    I am contemplating purchasing the Manik 3" stainless steel step rails for my silver/ash 00ML320 (similar to yours). Did you purchase the Manik stainless units? On your pictures they almost looked chromed as did your wheels.
    I live in the Chicago area where much salt is spread on the streets during the winter months. I think stainless steel rails would be a bit hardier than base metal or even chrome. You also live in a cold weather climate where I presume they salt the streets. Any thoughts?
    ran111:
    Drew and I have the OEM MB chromed step rails. Stainless steel would last longer; the M4 pkg side runners are SS. Be sure the Manik rails don't cover the jack points; I think one of the m-class list members said they did.
  • mlx52mlx52 Member Posts: 72
    I picked up my new ML 320 Black, Java, M1, M2, Bose, heated seats and Nav. I picked it up in the middle of a Chicago snowstorm, so I got to test out all of the systems. I must say that I feel much more confidant driving in the snow than in my Chrysler Town and Country. I saw the ESP triangle flash a few times, while going around a corner, but felt no impact on my driving.
    For all of you who have concerns about this car; throw those concerns out the window. This vehicle is great and handles like a charm, especially in the snow!
    When I was at the dealership while picking up the new car. I was able to push the SOS button for the Tele-aid system, as it is required to do so in order to activate the system. I also got the salesperson to throw in the all-season floor mats and will pick those up in a week. I also cranked the Bose sound system and found it to be surprisingly adequate, not great, but it will suffice.
    Drew, and others: When I was driving home from the dealership I noticed that when I tried to activate the bright lights they would not stay on unless I kept my hand depressed on the lever. Is this normal, or is there a trick to operating the lights?
    Thanks to all for your help on my decision of this great auto. I will keep you all updated. And if I get a Digi camera for Christmas I will take pics.

Thanks
    Jamie
  • mlx52mlx52 Member Posts: 72
    Did mercedes change the type of cd changer in the m-class for 2000 or 2001?

Thanks
    Glad to hear you got your ML finally :-)

As for the high beams, push the stalk away from you. I know...not intuitive compared to how other cars work. Look at the quick-tips booklet. It's helpful and isn't as confusing as the manual.

The 2001 CD changer ties into the fiber network now. The old ones did not.

Sounds like you and Robert are having great fun playing in the snow...
  • vr1vr1 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the thoughts on my window problem. I usually am in the vehicle alone. I rarely open the center console storage area. And I've had this happen at times that I tried particularly hard not to even rest my arm on the center arm rest. I really don't think it's anything I'm doing, so I'll mention it to my service advisor (although I don't want to make the hour trek to the dealer for a while).

I'm sorry if my scribbling my accidental duplicate post was a problem. I didn't know you weren't supposed to do that.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    Kenyee, I thought the stereo fiber network started on all 2000 MB models.

btw, foound something interesting...
    what color are the wheel nuts on ML 320? aren't they suppose to be silver, just like the rim? mine are black.... @_@
    Ken, I understand you had held out from buying your ML for 3 years, I'm just curious why did you choose to buy an '01 since there will be a face lift for the '02s?

Noel B
  • cassiricassiri Member Posts: 40
    Thanks for the idea about the door seals. I have mentioned that several times and been told that Mercedes has put a stop to paying the dealership for that fix. Do you know anyone who has successfully lobbied for this? Maybe a letter to Mercedes?

You also have to keep in mind that my dealership (Austin, Tx) is terrible. Many people I know don't buy Mercedes just because this is the only game in town and the service is that bad. Also I've seen people complain about the quality of loaner cars - well this dealer doesn't provide them at all.
  • atomic80atomic80 Member Posts: 24
    I don't know the real reason why Ken went for the '01 models but if you saw the car that he replaced then you'll probably understand. It was an Acura Integra in pretty bad shape. Rusting parts, etc.

Jason
  • cassiricassiri Member Posts: 40
    Jeff,

I just had my front brake pads replaced at 24k on a '99 ml430. The pads were only down to 4mm( 2mm being the replacement point) but the indicator was going off and was incredibly annoying as well as ruining AM radio reception. Strange but true. It is supposed to cost $180.
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    Dats my understanding too...the ML's 2000 and later are fiber optic wired.

dt77
    I took ML into dealer to improve the grounding I did myself on my fog lamps. Finally done.

After I thought i took care of the brake squeal, it came back ! So, i guess i didn't ...

I told servisor to check it out and wow. they "replaced front braks disc and pads" -dats wats on invoice. 1 brake shoe, 2 brake discs and 1 brake clean. Now, i'm really squeal-less.

dt77
    http://fullspeed.to/ml
    i meant service advisor =)

dt77
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Thanks for your input on the Motor Rev question. 2500 rpm at 65 or 70 really isn't that bad at all. It's actually lower than I thought it would be.

-mrwhipple
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    Well well, I didn't even have to try this time!

Drew/aling
    Edmunds.com Townhall host
    you're the victor in this case... :)
  • hogster21hogster21 Member Posts: 38
    Since I see an evidence of a scribbled post, pending a recount and verification of who may have scribbled it - I certify atomic80 as the winner of the 2nd century mark...
    hahahahaha......in the wake of the whole election craze, that was a much needed humor upshot! :)

Jason
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    LOL (and I mean both laughing out loud and lots of laughs, Ken )! I admit to one scribble, but it's because I forgot to sign off with my "title" as I'm required. Usually if I'm posting in bulk, I only sign off on my last message. But if it's a singular message, I have to add it in. Well, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :-)

Drew/aling
    Edmunds.com Townhall host
  • sydney6sydney6 Member Posts: 64
    Hogster: Was the evidence of a scribble clear? Could you decern the "intent" of the scribbler from the scribbles? Did you see any "hanging" or "pregnant" scribbles?
    looks like an edmunds "contest" is in sight. Who wants to be my lawyer??

I'd like to contest the fact that aling in fact did not forget to sign his "title" and is only using that as a somewhat pathetic excuse for scribbling one!

Jason
    Jason, are you suggesting that Drew deliberately altered his posts, in the absence of observers, in a brazen grab for power by disenfranchising numerous posts?
    Gentlemen,
    Matter of such magnitude & importance can and should only be decided by a higher court. Just make sure your case can be presented by a certain deadline.
    No, like the gracious player that I am, I concede defeat graciously to having failed to reach the "200" century mark. :)

Jason
    If only our politicians were so gracious!
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    11 Posts and not a single bit of pertinent ML information...True Politicians!!
    Sorry, I guess we got carried away...
  • hogster21hogster21 Member Posts: 38
    never hurt anybody and I am sure even Mr. Thor had a chuckle... Back to the ML, where were we?
  • mbml55amgmbml55amg Member Posts: 57
    I remember the old days when the ML topic was about SUV's & not post #'s. Ah, such is the way things go I suppose...
    kiwii:
    Everything is fiber in the MY2K ML except the CD changer AFAIK. Guess they finally went all out and switched it for 2001.

noelb1:
    If I could have, I would have waited just so I could get curtain airbags. :-)
    I was starting to freak out whenever I drove my Integra. It creaked (probably torsion bar or bushing), had a leaking A/C compressor, had a speed sensor problem so the engine light went on at 55, had a tranny that refused to go into overdrive in cold weather, had rustthrough in the rear wheel wells and would not have passed inspection because it's considered a safety issue if it gets into the cabin area. Oh well...made it to 152K mi and 12 yrs, and I kinda miss the go cart feel. I hope my ML lasts as long :-)
  • jonathancijonathanci Member Posts: 2
    Those people who is trying to catch the special message numbers have WAY too much time on their hands.... I think it's time to tighten up house, and get back to topics pertinent to our MLs???
  • carbon_00carbon_00 Member Posts: 17
    As much as I love my new ML430 I have to shake my head at the short sightedness of the door seal design for winter driving.

We got our first big dropping of snow in Toronto tonight so I retired to my friends cigar lounge to miss the first snowfall traffic jam where people try to remember how to drive.

after cleaning off the truck I noticed that the snow gets in between the seals of the doors and deposits a nice supply of snow nto the truck upon opening the door. Tthen when I get home a nice ice formation has formed in said seal....our BMW doesn't do this...ahhh...feel better now for venting..However the ML handles fantasticly in the snow and the six Hella lights/bulbs I am throwing down the road certainly brightens things up on a snowy night..Best snow vehicle ever IMHO.

Cheers from snowy Toronto
    We also had an inch of snow in Boston today. Forgot to throw my snow brush in, so I didn't brush the snow off before opening the doors. I remember reading about this on the m-class list, but didn't think it was that obvious.

ML is filthy now, but I felt safe on the way home, though being stuck behind people who crawl w/ no snow on the ground and getting 6-8mpg wasn't exactly fun. I'm worried I'll run out of gas when I'm stuck in traffic one of these days :-P
  • nutternutter Member Posts: 7
    With a inch or so on the streets here in MA, I decided to turn off the ESP and punch the 430 hard while turning onto a street with NO traffic to see what happens. Now that I know, I don't plan on doing it again!! I completly lost control, came too close to a phone pole that initially was quite far away, and wound up in a parking lot on the other side of the street. I will now stick to the comfort knowing that when the Yellow triangle flashes at me, the safety of the M-class is preventing a possibly bad situation (like spinning helplessly out of control off the road). It is good to see what can happen, but as others have said before, pich a spot where there is nothing remotely close by.

On another topic, the current January 01 issue of Popular Mechanics has a spy shot of the 2002 M-Class. I do not have Photopoint or postable space, so mabye somebody can post it here on the list. (Drew, I mailed it to you)
    Any more details on how many spins you made and how far off course you were? I couldn't think of any big parking lots to test handling in.
  • nutternutter Member Posts: 7
    I think I did 2, mabye 3. I was out of control for about 75 feet. There was continous pavement from the road to the parking lot, and I came to a stop about 3- 4 car lengths from the edge of the road (although I traveled diagonally to get to where I stopped). The road had not been plowed, sanded, or salted, and the snow was hardpack. The parking lot was about 1" of fresh snow. I did not back off on the gas until I was in a full spin. There was a guy wire coming out of the pole< and I was just glad that I did not modify my bodywork with the cable. :P
    Thanks for the added info. That's pretty far for losing control at only around 25mph (since you were on the street, that's probably what you were doing?). Glad you and your ML weren't hurt.

I'm surprised ESP mattered that much w/ the 4ETS system driving all four wheels. I wonder if we can get an MDX owner to do a similiar test since they don't have ESP but Acura claims their VTM system works just as well? :-)
    Take a deep breath. Step back. Get a piece of paper. Write down a list of your priorities (safety, reliability, handling, price, 4WD, etc.). Now, put numbers next to them to order how important each one is to you; get another piece of paper and list them again from highest importance to lowest importance. Rate each car from 1-10 on each point. Also make a short list of what you *really* like or hate about each car. After doing this, you should have a good idea about which one is right for you.

This should help you make an objective decision. Please also show us your list so we can understand you and perhaps help you better. It won't matter if you really love or hate one of them though or if the $3K difference bothers you a lot :-)