Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    I don't think we have any in the U.S. "roo bars" only exist in Australia and are a lot more substantial than the stuff by Manik, etc. which are just "brush guards"...
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    what do some of you do after driving in snow/snowy conditions ?

spray/wash the undercarriage ?

TIA
    dt77
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Long time no see!

I don't recall how much the 4-matic badge cost, but I do remember that it wasn't cheap for what you get, even with my usual discount. The fact that it had to come from Europe didn't help either. I guess they figured not many people would order it as spare parts (in fact, I was the first person that asked for it through the parts counter :-)).

Smoked taillamps/headlamps are counter-intutitive to me. Manufacturers are coming up with ways to increase the brightness of lamps/make them more conspicuous, and I don't understand why someone would want to make them dimmer. But that's just my humble opinion. I will say that I do like the lightly smoked taillamps of the VW Golf GTI though, but those have met motor vehicle regulations, so at least they're legal and meet certain lighting standards.

If the pipes outside are not frozen outside, I usually wash the salt (and other crud) off the surface of the vehicle immediately after I get home. I then wait for the truck to cool down first before spraying the under carriage. If the pipes are frozen, I fill up a few buckets of very warm water and splash it on the sides/wheels, etc. To properly rinse the underneath, I place a sprinkler - the kind that shoots a wall of water up and side to side - underneath and let it run for a few minutes.
    I took these pictures yesterday, but they don't do the colour justice (it's much brighter in real life; the truck was also fairly dirty).

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    yeah, i agree.
    I like the smoked look. but light output will be decreased - something I don't want =)

so you ordered the 4matic badge thru dealer ?

I'm trying to go for this 'stealth' look on my ml=)
    she is almost all decked out in black hehe. that is why i was looking into the smoking the tail lamps.

I have recently seen some GS lexuses with their badges 'blackened' instead of the usual shiny metal or watever most badges are made of. Not sure if they bought the car like that or they did something to it. Maybe they did what I did to my blackstar. Once I get around to getting them black, then she will truely be stealth hehe.
    i ain't touching the rims. Is the star and the badge at the rear made of metal ?
    The star in front is just plastic.

dt77
    Can I spray anything and everything under the ML ?

dt77
    No, those badges are with what is called the "Black pearl" finish. Toyota offers Gold plated or black pearl replacement badges.

Yes, the badge was through the dealership. I think they're made of metal and not chromed plastic, but I'm not 100% sure. It may be the same as the front star.

Considering that the ML was designed for fording through up to about 2 feet of water, I don't think that you will have a problem with spraying the under carriage. :-)

Drew
    Host
    I put a pic up in my gallery of the optilux bulbs in action.

doesn't prove much really cuz nothing to compare to...just osmething to look at.

I didn't adjust anything to the pic after i took it. As far as exposure goes, the cybershot automatically did it. There was one pic I took standing further back and the glare was just too much. just two bright white spots.

drew, how do u stick a pic on HERE like you just did.? and wat car is in the back ground of one of your pics ? all suped up ..integra ?

dt77

http://fullspeed.to/ml
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Ometofu,

in fact, someone (Schätz in Germany - http://www.schaetz-tuning.de/schaetzallgemein/willkommen.html ) already does make an add-on chrome handle for the ML:

Price is 129 DEM. It's a simple stick-on affair that does not involve taking off the original handle.

Talking of rear logos, my Belgian-sold ML270 CDI proudly announces (in slightly smaller letters than the rest) that it has ESP. Left side of rear hatch, same level as the license plate.

Kind regards from Luxyland.

Birger

There might be a problem for you US/Canadian ML owners in fitting the chrome bit shown above. I think the rear hatches are different on Euro ML's versus yours - at least the recess for the license plate has another shape on ours. The actual handle might be the same, though. Just check carefully before sending off your 129 German Marks.

Birger
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    I noticed that all the windows on my 00ML430 have the serial# etched into the glass. The 98ML320 that we had did not. I know that M/B puts the serial# on all the body panels with a DOT tag and has for many years. When did they start etching the ML windows? My 00CLK430Cab does not have the serial numbers etched in the glass, strange.
  • kaz1djkaz1dj Member Posts: 9
    I've had my '00 430 ML for almost a year now. With 14,400mi, I still love it as much as the day I picked it up. However since the 5,000mi mark my "oil high" light kept coming on. Dealer fix was to suck out enough oil to keep the dip-stick mark between full & needs a quart. Light still kept coming on... but not as soon after starting up. I put up with this for a few months. No harm, no foul. Brought back for 2nd oil change @ 10k,(always Mobil 1 5-30, since 2k). Dealer said keep oil level just above low mark!!!! The sensor is a big deal to replace. Well that didn't work and low and behold finally the dealer admits to faulty sensors. New ones are on the way from the Fatherland and should arrive early March.
    I hope this helps some of you that are being told to adjust your oil level.
    AS: about those squeaky brakes...
    kaz1dj:
    Next time you bring it in, you should switch to 15W50 Mobil1. The 5W30 is too thin (and not recommended by MB) and may end up in the oil (one person on the m-class mailing list had this problem). It may be the problem if the sensor replacement doesn't fix it...
    I had a set of Optilux,(highs and lows)bought thru Ken at Susquehanna Motor Sports. A low burned out. Ken said he had a lot of quality control problems and returns of the Hella Optilux. Sent them back and waited. Now Ken says he's discontinued that bulb since the new improved ones still have a high failure rate.
    I now have the PIAA Hiper bulbs. They really mimic the HID's. Gotta get use to them.
    Find them at the Auto Bulb Depot.
    If any of you have them already...how do you like them.
    Oh!, does anyone stateside carry the Schatz chrome hatch lift cover or a chrome exhaust tip for a 430?
    Kenyee,
    Never thought of that since this happened before switching to Mobil 1, but seemed to get worse. A year ago the big topics include oil and Mobil 1. Posters seemed to use the 5w - 30 unless they lived in the south. Service mgr. did get a tech bulletin about replacing sensors...but not due to oil. But your point is well taken. Thanks
    PS: Ken is refunding $ for all the Hella Optilux failures purchased thru him. An honest online business.
  • beetlebug62beetlebug62 Member Posts: 72
    <<#1765 of 1768  OIL Hi - Lites by kaz1dj  Feb 19, 2001 (08:50 am)
    I've had my '00 430 ML for almost a year now. With 14,400mi, I still love it as much as the day I picked it up. However since the 5,000mi mark my "oil high" light kept coming on. Dealer fix was to suck out enough oil to keep the dip-stick mark between full & needs a quart. Light still kept coming on... but not as soon after starting up. I put up with this for a few months. No harm, no foul. Brought back for 2nd oil change @ 10k,(always Mobil 1 5-30, since 2k). Dealer said keep oil level just above low mark!!!! The sensor is a big deal to replace. Well that didn't work and low and behold finally the dealer admits to faulty sensors. New ones are on the way from the Fatherland and should arrive early March.
    I hope this helps some of you that are being told to adjust your oil level.>>

...and after the dealer's first unsuccessful attempt at a fix was to just change the oil. I yelled at them for not fixing it, as the "Oil HI" light came on within 5 miles of leaving the dealership! They subsequently replaced the sensor.
    <<#1761 of 1769  optilux by dt77  Feb 19, 2001 (02:06 am)
    I put a pic up in my gallery of the optilux bulbs in action.
    doesn't prove much really cuz nothing to compare to...just osmething to look at.
    I didn't adjust anything to the pic after i took it. As far as exposure goes, the cybershot automatically did it. There was one pic I took standing further back and the glare was just too much. just two bright white spots.>>

...pics don't prove a thing, as the camera automatically adjusts the exposure, so there is no objective way to compare light brightness by comparing pics. As for color, that's even harder to make comparisons, as different digicams will record color differently. Not to mention how each computer monitor is calibrated, or for that matter, uncalibrated.
    I was aware of the chrome lift handle product about a year and a half about, but I'm sorry to say that our North American license plates are much narrower, and hence the chrome handle will not fit. Oh well...
    <<#1757 of 1770  Orion Blue '01 ML320 by drew_ HOST  Feb 18, 2001 (06:27 pm)
    I took these pictures yesterday, but they don't do the colour justice (it's much brighter in real life; the truck was also fairly dirty).>>

...but your description makes me think that it might be something like the very popular Topaz Blue that BMW 3-series owners are touting. Mine 330xi is steel grey.
    I take it that you added on the "ESP" badge? :-) Was it a MB part? I'm not aware of any MB vehicles that have it.
    VIN etching is usually done by the dealer. MB does not do it to any of their vehicles, AFAIK. I'm not sure if your dealership charged you for it, but many do.
    <<#1755 of 1772  snow care by dt77  Feb 18, 2001 (05:25 pm)
    what do some of you do after driving in snow/snowy conditions ?>>

...I shout a "YAHOO!!", or a "YIPPEE!!". I've heard some people like to just smoke a cigarette.
    You can post images by following the instructions in the Photo Gallery topic in the M-class's owner's club (the link is at the top of the page, just under the topic title). You may also want to cross post your pictures in the Photo Gallery topic. I'm going to do that for my pictures.

Hey, I didn't even notice that car in the background! It's a Honda Prelude with clear taillamp lenses and a weird paint job. I'm not sure if it's actually souped up though, or just all show (possible). To get a closer look, click here for the high resolution picture.

Drew
    Host
    <<#1752 of 1772  VERY OFF TOPIC by rexconde1  Feb 18, 2001 (04:15 pm)
    Anyone have their CFA designation? Currently studying and have a couple questions. >>

...A financial advisor? I'm not a CFA but I'm sure there are people here that are more than willing to hazard a guess at your questions.
    Now that you mention it, yes, it's similar to BMW's Topaz blue, but slightly lighter and even brighter. It's a very conspicuous colour, just like Magma Red :-) One day I'll get lucky and snap a picture of that Magma Red ML55 with the chrome Manik brushguard, taillamp guards, and ground effect modified to accept the chrome side steps.
    According to Curt Rich, part of the reason why MB switched to Mobil 1 (besides the significantly improved low/high temperature protection) is because many US non-synthetic oils did not live up to their specifications, and MB had some engine sludging problems. Apparently the European specifications for non-synthetic oils are much tighter/tougher than over here in North America.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good morning, Drew, Chevron doesn't agree with you<g>.link

The skeptic in me wonders if Exxon/Mobil paid MB to "recommend" their oil:-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards<
    Drew, my dealer did not charge any extra for the window etching, I just thought it was new for the 00 model year.
    As to oil sensor, I just had mine replaced, in my case, the orange oil light in the dash came on and where the digital mileage is posted in the dash, the mileage went blank and an -2.0 flashed.
    I also had a new fuel sensor installed as the fuel gauge was not working properly. Quarter down and it would take only three gallons to fill to full. My brakes also squealed when backing up, don't know what they did to rectify that problem, first time it was attributed to brake dust, this time unsure. I haven't gotten the paperwork mailed to me yet as the ml was delivered back to me late in the evening and the paperwork was not finished yet.
    I am very picky with my vehicles and I must say I never have a problem with my dealership not acting on my requests.
    BTW, Sick in bed today, time to kill, so I finally viewed the video that came with the ML, informative but really surrealistic. It sort of reminded me of "Tron" or "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" It combined real characters with animated backgrounds along with wierd actions and music. Any other movie critics out there?
    exactly what i said

nothing to compare to - something to look at.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/michaelab/carcare-newsection/print_carcare.php3?id=84 did a great review on H7s. Of which, stock H7 and piaa superwhites failed to meet thier standards.

dt77

They make really cool stuff for the ML. The chrome exhuast tip is real good looking and very well made. I had a chance to see one at a store here in LA. They were going for like US$270.

I have the AC control chrome rings from them.

dt77
    DT77, how do they look and are you happy with them?. I have been giving some thought to getting them. I think Bekkers or Precision have them in their catalogs as well as chrome side marker rings.
  • ometofuometofu Member Posts: 53
    Schätz stuff can be purchased via www.airpressusa.com that's where I got my chromed accent from. By the way they told me the chrome trunk handle won't fit the North America models.....damn...
    drew, u know how we have ONE rear fog. is it powered by another separate bulb ? and is there another extra socket on the right side ? hmm..

dt77
    dt77:
    From previous discussions on the M-Class list, it's one extra bulb on the left side...
    I like them a lot. gives the interior a little punch. =) I think there's a better pic on the sites mentioned above.

dt77
    ok, but is there empty bulb socket on the RIGHT side?

dt77
    I don't remember a right socket being mentioned...
    No of course it won't fit. As I mentioned earlier, the European license plates are much wider, and hence their tailgates and rear license plate areas are different than ours. Unlike other companies/vehicles (ex. Jeep Grand Cherokee/Cadillac Deville), MB goes to the trouble of designing a smaller license plate indent/handle rather than having a universal design (very wide for our license plates, and not as clean looking).
    Actually there is no extra bulb on the left side either. :-)
    Drew:

Yep. Misremembered. Must be old age ;-)

Here's a link to a description of it: http://www.escribe.com/automotive/european/mbmc/m3620.html

dt77, if you search for "rear fog light", you'll get a few more hits on how it works.
    There is a dual filament bulb in the left taillamp for the rear foglamp (the 2nd filament for the foglamp is a heck of a lot brighter). There aren't any connections for this sort of bulb on the other side (there's only a normal single filament bulb in the left taillamp). The reason why MB doesn't put in two rear foglamps unlike some other Euro car companies (ex. Volvo) is because it may confuse other drivers into thinking that the brakes are being applied.

Here're a couple pictures (notice the halogen backup bulb) that I took while doing the Parkpilot installation:

Rubber grommet temporarily removed to run the Parkpilot power wire (though that top hole):
    I just noticed that a few of my Parkpilot installation pictures didn't make it into the gallery, so I've uploaded them again. More pictures in here

Here's basically what the wiring looks like:

Parkpilot control unit:

Drew
    Host
  • nkolenkole Member Posts: 18
    Drew,

Nice Parkpilot install! Looks very professional. What does the kit cost? Where did you purchase?

Neil
    Thanks for the compliment. The system is nice (and extremely helpful) now that it is installed, but installation, particularly the drilling, was not easy. The kit was purchased in Germany and was about US$300+ before taxes. See my earlier post for a similar system that Poron USA makes:
    drew_ Feb 17, 2001 10:32pm
    Drew:

No, the "ESP" badge is standard on every Mercedes sold in Belgium - and if I remember right, also in Italy.

My dealer initially also offered, at a reasonable price even, the Bosch ParkPilot like the one you have - but without color-coordinating the sensors. This would have looked awful on my Desert Silver ML:

so I decided against it. It was also a question of time, as this install would have pushed back delivery. Meanwhile, I've dug an old Proron 2-sensor system bought several years back, but never installed, out of its basement hiding, and am contemplating an install.... - after seeing the pain you went through, I don't really want to get the Bosch outfit.

dt77:

Thanks for the link to the bulb test - very informative, especially for us Euros. My current Osram Super H1's will be swapped for a set of Philips Premiums later this week. I wonder if there's a similar comparison for the H3 bulbs??

Birger
    The ESP badge is very interesting indeed. If possible and at your convenience, I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of it on your ML270.

Yes, I noticed that European MB dealerships offer the Bosch system (it's advertised in the accessories brochure). Installation was indeed painful for a beginner :-) While I like the system a lot and have absolutely no regrets, I do wonder if whether I would sacrifies the exclusivity and the some of the integrated look for the Poron system, especially now that I know it can be fitted with 4 sensors.

Here's something I just noticed. Many bulbs sold in N.America have the words "Not for use in Europe" stamped on the box. I wonder if your EU bulbs are built to different specifications (ex. different cutoff, etc.). Any ideas?

No mudflaps (after one day of driving; no rain!):

Ken, this is what the "Stop" sign is for :-)
    Do the headlamps on this Euro ML55 look like they have three seperate sections to you? Could it be that your owner's manual is not a misprint, and there actually are integrated foglamps (seems redundant with the front bumper mounted ones though)?

Eons ago when I first contacted Hella for the retrofit kits, I was told that they would have integrated foglamps. However, this was later changed, and I thought that my contact had made a mistake. But, maybe not...

Drew
    Host
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    I think that it is more likely a misprint. The Standing lamps are in the exact place that the standing lamps would be. Besides there is a hole in my lamps in that area.

If there are integrated foglamps in the housing, where would the standing lamps be since there are no orange corner lamps

On the other hand, the hole in the Xenon's highbeam compartment...is capped off. This is unlike the hole in the Halogen units, which is left open.

Robert
    I guess enough guinea pigs have tried this feature I added to my site for me to open it for general use. If you have anything positive/negative to say about your dealer's service or sales experience, stop by http://www.keysolutions.com/M-Class and enter a dealer log/rating. A rating guide is only as useful as the data inside ;-)