Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Please join us in our inaugural MB Tuesdays chat tonight at 6-7pm Pacific. All MB owners and fans/enthusiasts are welcome to drop by. Don't miss it, it should be great!

Click on the link below to get to the chat:
    /direct/view/.eea6e59

See you there!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    The ML ESP system can not give throttle to prevent a skid. I will try to paint the picture more clearly. You start down a very slippery steep decent either on ice, wet grass, mud, or the like. Most people would use low gear, possibly low range if off road, in this type of situation. During the decent if gravity overcomes the coefficient of friction between the tries and the surface, the ML will start to accelerate. The ESP or ABS can not do anything at this point to stop acceleration- it is pure physics at this point because there is not enough friction available. As the truck starts to accelerate the engine must increase in RPMS, especially in low gear, low range. The engine braking effect is very strong in low range compared to the amount of friction (traction) available. The wheels will not "lock" but they will remain rotating at the slower speed because of the engine braking effect. As the truck accelerates the wheels are not rotating faster because friction is minimal. This will cause the ML to skid.

The ESP can do two things, if it would even work at all at this slow speed, 1. Reduce throttle-but none is applied. 2. Brake a rotating wheel-this will do no good because there is not enough friction available (remember the engine through low gear is what is causing the skid). The only way to keep the ML from skidding is to keep the wheels rotating at the same speed as the vehicle. Since the ESP can not give throttle to match the wheel speed with the accelerating vehicle it can not prevent a skid under these conditions, but the ABS system can if it is allowed. If the ML were in "drive" the engine would not have the same
    braking effect. The wheels would accelerate as the same speed as the vehicle.

The ABS systems role to keep the wheels rotating regardless of the coefficient of friction. The system actually measures mu (the coefficient of friction) between the tire and the road surface many times a second. The ABS system does this by applying just enough braking force to almost lock the wheel and then releases it slightly. The system now "knows" how slippery the surface is and can adjust accordingly. As the ML starts down the steep slippery decent in "drive" the ABS computer (and/or ESP, since it is most likely integrated in this SUV) has full flexibility to allow the wheel to rotate at a speed to prevent a skid.

Engine braking is helpful in a lot of situations, but not the one described above. With modern electronics engine braking is most helpful to prevent the brakes from overheating. This is not the case because in very slippery conditions because there is not enough friction available. However, on a surface where friction is higher the engine braking will prevent the brakes from overheating.

Drew, I am not picking on you but you keep providing wrong information to the general public. Your statement " With the centre differential locked, the front and rear axles (and wheels) are mechanically bound together and forced to spin the same rate, hence defeating the purpose of ABS" is completely wrong. You are correct that the Blazer locks the center differential (words used for lack of describing GMs autotrac) in low range, but the ABS still works! The ABS works on my 2000 Silverado in low range. The older ABS systems did not work in low range but most new systems have over come that limitation. I bet the ABS works on the ML too in low range (anyone know about this?).

Drew, in short, you are a person of authority in these rooms. You should make certain that you information is 100% correct. If in doubt- admit it. I started reading this topic when I was looking to trade in my Blazer for a ML. I was turned off form this topic from information you gave to someone about (ironically) the ESP and the temporary spare tire. I don't remember the details, but I do remember thinking you may not have been correct and may not have the authority to give that kind of advice.
  • cindy29cindy29 Member Posts: 8
    Please clarify for me. If I am descending on a steep and icy mountain road, which is the safest approach? Normal gear and apply brakes, low gear and use brakes/accelerator, low range?

The manual did say do not downshift but does that mean you shouldn't start off in low gear or does it mean don't downshift while in motion because "jerk" will increase slippage.

Thanks.
  • thenightthenight Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know a good site to order an MB Nav? :) Don't really want to pay the dealership :)
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Try www.clairparts.com.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    abc246:
    As I understand it, ESP is mostly for controlling direction, but it does this by braking one or more wheels and cutting engine power. ABS controls direction by putting the all the tires on the edge of traction. For MY2001, MB also added 4ETS+ which uses wheel braking if it detects that the wheel is going backwards (not useful for the situation you described, but useful for offroading over rocks/logs); it also added a crawl mode where you can use the accelerator and brake simultaneously while in low range.
    Are you sure that the ML's low range only uses engine compression? I could swear it was a hybrid system that also used the brakes to keep your speed down to 3mph. Of course, if the wheels just slip...the ML can't measure speed correctly and it will probably just slide sideways. As a matter of fact, someone on the m-class list or on this forum mentioned that he was headed down his sloped driveway at an angle (not perpendicular to slope) and stood on the brakes (he could hear the ABS chatter) while the ML continued rotating sideways and smacked into a snowbank. I'm not sure anything helps in that kind of situation...but I'm glad you survived yours. :-)
    You took parts of my previous message out of context. I wrote "When you shifted into drive, did you leave your transfer case in 4WD low range? The reason I ask is because many 4WD systems disable ABS completely when the centre differential is locked (such as when low range is activated)". I didn't specifically say that YOUR vehicle's ABS would not function. I asked if it did.

I was wondering what kind of 4WD system your Blazer had. Now that I know it's the AutoTrac, I know that in lieu of a centre differential, it uses computer controlled clutch packs.

Yes, the ML's ABS works in low range, but one should not use low range in slippery conditions as it activates a special ABS programme that cyclically locks the front wheels (it doesn't pulse the front wheels as quickly as with the normal ABS programme). This means that directional control is severely compromised. This special ABS algorithm was designed for shorter stopping distances on gravel or other off-road conditions where the locked front wheels can dig in.

" You start down a very slippery steep decent either on ice, wet grass, mud, or the like. Most people would use low gear, possibly low range if off road, in this type of situation."

But isn't that's what low range, 1st gear is for when offroading? You're supposed to stay off the brakes and let the engine compression slow your decent or maintain a constant speed downhill.

"The ESP can do two things, if it would even work at all at this slow speed, 1. Reduce throttle-but none is applied. 2. Brake a rotating wheel-this will do no good because there is not enough friction available (remember the engine through low gear is what is causing the skid)."

I'm still not clear as to why low gear would cause "the skid". Care to elaborate?

BTW, ESP can brake on or more wheels harder than the others to counteract the oversteer/understeer. Yes, it works at all speeds.

"During the decent if gravity overcomes the coefficient of friction between the tries and the surface, the ML will start to accelerate. The ESP or ABS can not do anything at this point to stop acceleration- it is pure physics at this point because there is not enough friction available."

I think I sort of comprehend what you're trying to say here. You're saying that if there is not enough friction, the vehicle will slide even if the wheels are not moving. If the friction co-efficient is that low that the vehicle cannot even stay stationary, I'm not sure if ABS can do much. The tires are what matter the most here since they're in direct contact with the road surface.

With all of this said, how does it pertain to your previous posts? Is what you're saying leave it in Drive and not to use engine compression + ABS to slow you down when decending a slippery slope? Instead use ABS only? Wouldn't the vehicle keep accelerating faster if the ABS keeps cycling and you'll eventually smack into something at the bottom?

Please note that the ML has a 4 channel/4 sensor ABS system; it monitors and controls all 4 wheels seperately. Your Blazer probably only has a 4 sensor/3 channel ABS where both the rear wheels are treated as a single entity. If one rear wheel slips, ABS is applied to both.
    I don't think it would jerk at all when shifting into a lower gear. You should just see the revs go up and feel the engine compression holding back the vehicle's speed.

Yes, when you're going at that slow, the transmission should be automatically in 1st gear anyway. But if the ABS keeps cycling and the slope is even steeper (decending) at the bottom, the vehicle will pick up even more speed and it may shift into 2nd gear. That's why I would leave it in 1st gear so that engine compression will at least prevent it from accelerating drastically. Yep, I'd also leave it in low gear ahead of time and shift only if necessary.
    I would recommend the MB all season rubber floor mats, the cargo tray/organiser, as well as the cargo nets. I have all and they're very helpful in keeping the vehicle clean and the cargo from moving around. You can see pictures of my accessories at http://go.to/m-class. You may also want to consider the mudflaps as they help to keep the vehicle clean. If you have shorter passengers, the side steps or running boards are helpful for entering and exiting the cabin

Hope to see you in tonight's MB chat at 6-7pm Pacific (the link to the chat is at the top of the page).
    The owner's manual does state that you should not use low range in ice/snowy conditions since the ABS will not function the same way (because of the off-road algorithm) as it normally would. When decending, I always leave it in a low gear for engine braking and use the brakes.
    I take it that you have this same trailer hitch?

image target=_blank

Debates are part of the Town Hall community. I enjoy them too (just look above!).
    You can purchase both the MCS GPS + integrated MB cellphone from your MB dealership or clairparts.com
  • nikorrnikorr Member Posts: 23
    I'LL START IN CHICAGO AND WILL GO TO IOWA,NEB,CO,UT,AIR,NV,AL,ORE,WAS,IDA,MON,WY,S. DAKOTA,MIN,WIS AND BACK TO (ILL)Mt.PROSPECT.TOTAL CAN BE AROUND 7 000 mi.NOW I HAVE 1 455 MILES (AVR.18.2 MPG)I WONDER HOW MPG WILL BE AFTER THE TRIP.SO FAR NO PROBLEM WITH CAR (:-) .I'LL BE IN LAKE POWELL AND THIS CANYON LAND AREA,DEATH WALLEY;JOSHUA THREE,YOSEMITE,LAKE TAHOE,RED WOOD,OLYMPIA,MT.HELENA,GLACIER NP,YELLOWSTONE ..... LEAVING HOME IN 2 HR'S AND RETURN 19 MARCH.I HOPE I'LL BE BACK W/O PROBLEM'S WITH MY CAR (ML 320)....MARCEL
    That may be ugly, but have a look at this! Well, at least there won't be any minivan comments. ;-p There will be a whole new set of comments! Actually, I think that the company did a pretty good job.

Drew
    Host
    Have a great (and safe) trip! You know...now that you've told about the trip, we're going to expect pictures of you and your ML at all of those places when you get back ;-)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What is that--a Subaru Brat? At least it looks less Aztekky than that Jim Roger's custom job:-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • norge003norge003 Member Posts: 11
    If anyone has time could you please give my your perspective on the SUV comparison done in C&D in December of 2000....Does anyone think that the 320 should have done better or is it really the 5th (tied) best SUV out there? Yes, granted, it is subjective but with all of the enthusiasm that it gets on this board I would have thought that it would have done better than a tie for 5th. Oh, btw, I am on this board daily and thoroughly enjoy reading all of the discussions that go on here.....thanks.
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    What a tough journey you have.Have a safe trip and keep us posted when ever you have a chance. Like Ken said post some pictures. Good Luck
    I know this topic is not interesting to most people so I will try to keep it short. To recap what we seem to agree on.

1)Do not use low range in slippery conditions (on the ML).
    2)Do not downshift in slippery conditions.

I would add:
    3)Do not use low gear when descending steep slippery slopes.

Your question is the key to my argument "Wouldn't the vehicle keep accelerating faster if the ABS keeps cycling and you'll eventually smack into something at the bottom?" The answer to this question depends on the grip or traction available. Remember that the ABS system will use all available grip AND at the same time allow steering control. The engine braking method using low gear can not do this. The scary part about the low gear method is that if gravity over comes the amount of grip the tries provide it is very difficult to regain control (if not impossible). Remember ESP and ABS will not be effective with the engine providing the braking. They will still be functional, but when the systems "release" the tires to regain control the tires will not be able to come up to vehicle speed because of the engine. In other words, the electronics systems can release the brake to prevent a skid but the electronics systems can not release the engine from holding back to prevent a skid.

""The ESP can do two things, if it would even work at all at this slow speed, 1. Reduce throttle-but none is applied. 2. Brake a rotating wheel-this will do no good because there is not enough friction available (remember the engine through low gear is what is causing the skid)." I'm still not clear as to why low gear would cause "the skid". Care to elaborate?"

Sure! The skid is caused by gravity. Gravity is pulling the ML down hill. In low gear the engine tries to hold the ML from accelerating. If the ML accelerates the engine must increase in RPMs. All OK so far. If the hill is steep and slippery enough the engine will "win" in low gear, in other words, the tires will start to slide while RPMs either stay the same or (worse) reduce. Since you are in 4-wheel drive you no have no steering control because the front wheels are sliding too. (I maybe explaining this in a complicated way- if anyone understands- please help!)

The Blazer (and most GM trucks) use a 3 sensor/3 channel system. There are pros and cons to each system. Hope this helps.
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    EST is 3 or 4 hrs ahead of PST?
    Actually, this topic is interesting to many, so continue if you wish:

I asked someone (who I consider very knowlegable about ABS and the ML's other active safety systems) and this is an excerpt of what he had to say. Does your owner's manual say that ABS works in low range?:

"The Blazer slipped down the icy slope with locked wheels in low range. The wheels can not act independantly, as you pointed out, because the center is locked in low range. The front and rear axle would have to start turning at the same time, more difficult than in the ML where
    all four wheels can act independantly in high or low range. So the ML wheels would probably have turned in that situation, even in low range.

In the ML the advantages to use low range:
    Traction control only needs 1.2 MPH wheel speed difference, acting faster if a wheel loses traction than in high range, where a wheel speed difference of 3 MPH is needed before traction control engages. If one needs traction control, one would use low range and put a foot on the accelerator, very, very carefully when it's slippery. In low range ABS has a normal and an off-road mode. The latter can reduce braking distances with dirt/sand/loose snow/ice, anything
    which builds a dam in front of the wheels."

A 3 sensor/3 channel system? I have to say that I'm surprised at this since most use a 4 sensor/3 channel system. A 3 sensor system would mean that the entire rear axle is considered one entity only and hence ABS may kick in earlier than needed.

Drew
    Host
    It's 3 hours :-) The MB chat will be every Tuesday night (beginning tonight) at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern. FYI, the link to the chat can also be accessed near the top of this page, just below the discussion topic title. Hope to see you there!
  • ememelememel Member Posts: 5
    I have a question that I'm hoping someone here can clear up.

I have a 2000 ML320. The Operator's Manual says (pg 147) that snow chains should only be used on the rear wheels, and that ESP should be switched off when chains are in use.

However the little Quick Tips booklet says under Care Tips that snow chains should be installed on all 4 tires, and mentions nothing about turning off ESP.

I called 800-FOR-MERC and got a guy who didn't inspire a lot of confidence tell me hesitatingly that I should put them on all 4, and then when I asked about the ESP, had to put me on hold and "check" and came back and told me to turn it off.

What do you guys think? It's AWD so it should be chains on all 4?!? But the operator's manual pretty clearly says only on the rear.

Thanks,
    Michelle
    Despite what the owner's manual says, I'd put it on all 4 wheels. Have a look at this:

http://4x4abc.com/ML320/ml_chains.html

Strangely, the previous model years ('98-'99) also specified chains for all four wheels. As for ESP, I think you'd probably want to turn it off, but try experimenting with the system on as well.

Good luck! Hope you can make tonight's MB chat
    Those of you may be interested in the Bridgestone winter driving school's one and half day programmes. Hurry though, it ends on March 10th.

http://www.winterdrive.com/

Drew
    Host
  • mdlewis1mdlewis1 Member Posts: 4
    Welcome to CD based navigation systems. Unfortunately, There is no way to plan a trip that involves a multi region area. When MB finally goes to a DVD based system the problem will be resolved as the entire U.S. can reside on a single DVD. In the meantime Mapquest.com is our only way around it.

MDL
    What a nice short story! Sorry Drew- the Chevy may actually have a better ABS system. Yes it works in Low range. Yes it can be used on a slippery surface in low range. The system is actually sophisticated enough (imagine that…. a American SUV- not the MB) to adapt to the surface.

The reason I have not purchased a ML is the off road performance and the V-6 performance. I am actually one of the few people who take SUVs and trucks off road. Every comparison that I have read the ML is nearly last in off road performance. The ESP actually gets it stuck. The suspension articulation is one of the worst of any SUV and the front bumper hangs down way too low. Without the skid plate package there is absolutely no under body protection for off road damage.

I actually took a 2000 ML 320 for a test drive. I was turned off right from the start. It was badged a ML 430 on the rear hatch!!! It was a V6!! It also rattled on the test drive over bumps! The dealer said it was not prepped. The usually story. For this type of quality I will stick with GM. I want to buy a new truck but not sure what to get. I like power (want more the then ML V-6 has). I want to be able to take it off road. I want it to be somewhat reliable. GM has world-class engines and transmissions but the rest of the GM stuff does not speak quality. I am looking at the Toyotas SUVs and possibly a Chevy Tahoe.
  • neicey59neicey59 Member Posts: 47
    Did anyone have the 3rd seat installed in their ML320? I saw one at the dealership and it appeared "cramped" in appearance. I love the look of a ML320; however, I need/want the 3rd seat, and may have to look at the Acura MDX if installing this seat eliminates storage space.

Also, if you have the 3rd seat, can adults sit there, or only children?

Thanks,
    Denise
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Actually, the ML's third row is larger than the MDX's. The latter's third row is really only for children or small adults, while the ML's can hold larger folks for longer periods of time. I wouldn't want to spend hours in the back there, but it'll be fine for shorter trips. You can slide the second row forward to make more room, and access is easier, and you can remove the seat or part of it.

I'm afraid that you'll find little cargo room behind the third row of both vehicles if you use both seats (you can use them 50/50, however, and use some of the space). The MDX has slightly more behind the third row but it's still not very big. A full-sized SUV would have more room.
    Sounds like you'd be most happy w/ a Range Rover (except for the reliability part ;-)
  • cdiccdic Member Posts: 36
    I think he ought to get a Tahoe or Suburban. Seems to me that's the type of GM he wants anyway. Sounds like the trip to the MB dealer was a waste of time. I can't help but think he had it in his mind an ML would not do before he got there. He wants a V8, so why didn't he test drive one. Also, I was not aware that we actually had a reliability problem(?)

How many ML owners out there would consider trading in their ML for any GM?

"The suspension articulation is one of the worst of any SUV", Sounds bias and I beg to differ. Unlike the ML, most 4X4 SUVs have straight axles in the rear, yeilding a rougher ride when encountering the likes of a pot-hole. And the torsion bar configuration of the front end is a proven technology. In '95 Toyota changed from torsion bar to coil spring front end to give their 4Runner the soft highway ride the market demanded, not because the articulation was superior. Perhaps you should focus on ground clearance. Perhaps the ML does not have the inital ground clearance abc246 requires, in which case he should look elsewhere, and I would bet he already has.
  • kwest1kwest1 Member Posts: 12
    I recently arranged to purchase a 1999 320ML and am very interested in obtaining a sales brochure, with all the nice glossies, describing this vehicle. The local Connecticut dealers no longer have such brochures.

Does anyone have one that they could lend me?
    Sorry for the repost but since I am a ML enthusiast I wanted to know some thoughts from people who actually own a ML......thanks in advance.....this will help in my purchase.

"If anyone has time could you please give my your perspective on the SUV comparison done in C&D in December of 2000....Does anyone think that the 320 should have done better or is it really the 5th (tied) best SUV out there? Yes, granted, it is subjective but with all of the enthusiasm that it gets on this board I would have thought that it would have done better than a tie for 5th. Oh, btw, I am on this board daily and thoroughly enjoy reading all of the discussions that go on here.....thanks."
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    wow, interesting topics going on here =)

on another note, I took my 00ml430 in for Service A. She's right about 10000 miles. This is what will be done as part of my service A:

Among some of the thigs done at this service,

- Mobil 1 oil change will be done.

- Wheel Balance

- Wheel Alignment

- Wheel Rotation

Oh, saw a CL600 at the dealership today. Wat a beauty. I've acutally seen a few on campus already too...

That thing has a mark up of 35K on 125,000 making baby $160,000. woa. =)

dt77

http://fullspeed.to/ml

• yickwoyickwo Member Posts: 54
    I have to admit that when I first read the C&R article, I told my wife that we were not going to get the ML. However, three months later, we are now a proud owner of a '01 ML320 and are very happy with the decision. I am not a car expert, but I do my homework, research and compare the subjects to the point that will often drive others mad. Before we actually had the opportunity to inspect and to drive an MDX (first place winner I believe), we thought that it was the SUV we would end up buying because of all the hype and high praises. All the auto mags. are jumping on the MDX bandwagon and preaching how wonderful MDX. However, when we actually drove the MDX and inspected the SUV in detail, we were not very impressed with the quality (in particular the leather and the fake wood). The MDX just wasn't "all that" if it makes any sense. Especially when the Acura dealers are demanding full MSRP (almost $40K for a fully loaded model) for it, I said no thanks and walk out. As I stated in my prior posts, I just don't think the price for the MDX is justified (when compared with the current ML going price).

We than went to the Lexus dealership (RX300 was no. 3, and we skipped the X5 because I am not a big fan of BMW). We were somewhat impressed by the RX300, but did not find it to be so refined as to rival a car. The RX300 was in fact a little irritating because it did not feel like a true SUV and at the same time it was definitely not a sedan. RX300 was a little on the small side, and everyone around the block seems to be driving one. Plus the Lexus does not come with free maintenance. We didn't care for the interior styling, but did find the back seat to be the most comfortable. For a price of $38-$40K, it is not a real bargain when compared with the ML.

We did not look at the Mits. Monetro (4th place winner) because we were shopping for a luxury SUV. As a side note, we were really impressed with the Toyota Sequoia Limited 4X4, but again, for the current going price, it was $1K to 3K more than the ML.

The bottom line is that most people who drive a SUV will almost never go off road and probably will not need to tow any thing. Therefore, all the towing capacity and off road ability is of no importance to us. There are probably many legitimate reasons that C&R judged the SUV's the way it did, but when you factor in what ML has to offer with its current market price, it is a great value. It may not be the "best" (what ever that means) SUV in the world, but it is one of the safest SUV's around. The engineering and safety features of a MB just cannot be beat (although we do have to put up with the sub par reliability issue of the ML). Just like the ML commercial "Staying alive" it is about buying a peace of mind and the best for your family, and having a three-pointed star on the front grill is just added bonus. My long winded advice is don't place too much emphasis on the comparison tests out there. Go out and compare the different models and their prices, and you will be convinced, as we were, that the ML is a terrific value.
    cdic:
    For off-roading, wheel articulation, breakover angle, and entry/exit angles are the most important features (besides a good 4WD system for the times you get stuck :-). The ML does have bad wheel articulation (HaroldP on our mailing list has mentioned this copious times and he's a heavy off-roader) compared to solid axle suspensions; the tradeoff is better on-road handling.

norge003:
    yickwo had a good summary (and I agree that the ML320 is the best "bang for the buck"). I'd also point out that C&D and most auto mags never list their priorities in evaluating "best". Almost no ones' priorities are the same. The auto mags' priorities are usually:
    1) does it drive like an M3?
    2) does it drive like a BMW?
    3) does it have new features no one else has?
    The MDX does have a good blend of what most people want in an SUV nowadays, but "best" is still relative.
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    You complain about pricing of the other vehicles you drove, yet, when I priced out a ML320 with similar equipment (at least M1 and M2, sunroof, etc.) as other luxo SUVs you are now talking low 40's. As you pointed pointed out, a loaded MDX at MSRP is about 39.5. A fully loaded RX300 w/Nav can be had for 38.5 easily.

Free maintenance? You are only getting maintenance as per the on board ML maintenance 'puter. That's what, once every 10k miles? Trust me, all the oil changes on any other vehicle for the warranty period is going to be a few hundred dollars at most.

So I find it hard to believe that pricing was a determining factor.
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Funny - I posted the first part of this 5 hrs ago, and it's never appeared??

Drew:

No - the Norwegian ML in the picture (owned by Per Spangebu) has the "first-generation" EU hitch, which was not removable, which to me is not practical, and IMHO quite ugly.

In the beginning, Brabus offered a trick electrically retractable hitch (maybe they even still do). Apart from the usual horrendous Brabus price, it also involved losing the donut spare - not good.

The present hitch, offered from MY 2000½, is fussier to mount than I like, but at least it stows away when not needed - and the look is reasonably clean.

It is possible to plan travelling using more than one CD. As my region ends 10 miles from my driveway, I know! But it is a PITA, because you have to plan in several steps. Over here, the software (in a borderless European Union!) still list the border crossings in the POI section. What I do is to program in the border crossing as a target, and the final destination as well (you will be able to program [probably] a destination in Western Australia provided you have the relevant CD. It does not matter where the truck is located. Only when you start guidance, it will tell you that you are not on a digitized road, and [probably] show you the approximate distance and direction to say, Perth. After you have done that, and saved the final destination, switch CD's to the local one, and ask Fräulein to take you to the border. Once you have driven off the edge of the map, re-swap CD's, and recall your final destination from the destination memory - and you should be back in business after 1/4 mile or so. It's not the easiest thing, but it's feasible - and YES!, I'd like a DVD-based system.

Kind regards,

Birger

in Luxyland where it's so foggy I regret not taking the ML this morning - the smart doesn't (yet) have GPS ;-))
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    It seems like we are getting a lot of little turf wars going on on which brand vehicle is better than the other, then taking pot shots at those who disagree with that individuals thinking.

What a person decides to buy is his or her own' personal' choice. The choice is based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, purchase price, ones available funds, safety, personal likes and dislikes, options available, input from others (forums like this), style, etc..

We are all, well at least most of us, on this forum because we made that choice and decided the ML was the best bang for the buck and met our personal requirements, or wants and needs. I like all types of vehicles and had a GM prior to my ML, but had decided on a Lexus till I started reading this forum. Between my brother's input (who owns a Porsche), Drew's input, the RX forum and several test drives I changed my choice to the ML320. Would I like the V8, most days no, some days yes, but for 95% of the time the V6 suits me fine and has almost as much torque as my GM V8 did. Would I change my decision, no. But that was my personal choice and I'm more then happy with it, I love the ML more each day and the more I drive it. From a guy who used to swap every year or two this I think is a 'must buy' recommendation.

In any event, lets try and respect each other's decision and opinions. And most of all have FUN!!!
    ...I'm just curious to as how somebody worked out their pricing. I think the ML is a damn fine vehicle, but when I priced it out it didn't come out "cheaper" than any other vehicle that was mentioned by the person who made the claim. Maybe I screwed up in pricing it? I'm willing to learn.

You're right vehicle choice is subjective and I'm not questioning someones choice. I'm simply asking about price, which is objective. Geez...
    I agree with what you both said and I appreciate you guys taking the time to give my your perspective. I agree that C&D as well as some other mag's out there don't ever list priorities when they do comparo's and from a consumers point of view it can be difficult to disect the information that is truly relevant to us buyer's. I also agree (yickwo) in that most of us will never do 'hard-core' offroading with our suv's or heavy towing and our suv's will be used as daily cruisers that take us around in style (safely I might add). Yes, the only true comparison happens when one goes out and individually tests not only the vehicles but the sales and service staff as well and then makes a decision based on real world information and not just imformation provided in a magazine. Thanks again for your input......
  • kozzy1kozzy1 Member Posts: 6
    dt77. I just had the A service performed on my 2K ML430 but it did not include an allignment tire rotation and balance. I think it mainly involved synthetic oil, filter, and other fluids. I'll have to check my manual, but before I do, can anyone clarify what's involved in the A Service?
    Thanks.
    Oh boy I hate to tease you ....Pal I have one on my collection, But I want them too..e-mail me and will talk....Grrrrrrrrrrr I hate to it.....:-)
    allignment ,rotation and balancing is going to be extra charge if you want them to do it. don't qoute me on these, because some dealer in the country they do it for free..Not my dealer anyway..
    Don't be afraid to ask us for our opinions on your findings...e.g., "XX seems safer than YY because of ZZ", etc. The decision is ultimately yours though, unless you want total strangers to help you spend money ;-)
    "unless you want total strangers to help you spend money "

Hey, isn't that what in-laws and cousins are for?
    SA said I get all this for free.
    ONE TIME only.

dt77
    u just want info on the 99 ? or u want glossy pics too ? hehe..i think 99 specs are archived on the MB site...

dt77
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I understand that there was a "hiccup" about the time you were posting. Sorry about that:-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards