Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• bob349bob349 Member Posts: 1
    I've a '98 BB ML-320 with 40,000 miles on it. For the last three and half years, I have a lot of
    little problems but nothing major. The worst one is the replacement of window's electric motor. I plan to keep this car for a few more years but feel leery about it's reliability. Can anyone
    recommend me a good reliable, but inexpensive extended warranty provider? I really worry about one of those on-line extended warranty providers because they come and go, you don't even know where to find them. Anyone has driven a '98 model over 60,000 miles without any major problem? My original warranty will be expired by this September.

Please help!

Bob
  • tangjtangj Member Posts: 4
    my service b is coming up and i have been using mobile 1 10w30 since day one (after the 1st 1k miles), do i have to use 15w50 or the dealer will void my warrenty, i used to supply mobile 1 10w30 and oem oil filter and the dealer accepted it during my last service, any feedback...... thanks
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    tangj; I just had my 'A' service on Tuesday. The dealer here is using Mobil 1 0w40 for the dealer changes. I asked about oil weight and told them about the discussions we've had on the forum and the SA and mechanic, who went to the MB meeting, both said there would be no problems if I continued to use Mobil 1 5w30 or 10w30 for my mid changes.

I wish I could get the 0w40 at a retailer though.
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Wow, no discussion here for almost one day. Is the stock market affecting this site, too? :)

Anyway, noticed that there's some rattle/squeaky noise coming from my front passenger door, i have to investigate some more, but has anyone have this problem? I'll check to make sure it's not coming from the dash.

TIA
    Glenn
  • dagilldagill Member Posts: 13
    rat and sque are part and parcel of owning an ML. I know alot of you out there can live with it, I have had enough. The dealers have been fabulous but there is so much they can do if the problem comes back a few weeks after repairs and I do not think MBUSA gives a damn. It irritates and annoys me when I am driving wout music and the wind noise is another ball game. I have driven Mercedes for the last 10/11 years both in Spore,UK and the US but this will be my last. Sadly the Germaness is not there anymore. ML 6 months, CD replaced, glove box replaced, back wipers sorted, rattles & squeak still around? Will I recommend Mercedes probably not unless you can fork out $50000
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    You could either have the infamous dash noise, of u could have the noise which i noticed some time ago .but only surfaces sometimes. The friction produced when the rubber sealants from the doors rub against each other. The doors' rubber seals rub agains the doors' opening seals and produces this noise. U can replicate the noise by sticking your fingers in the gap while doors are closed. Actually, hardly audible, it occurs when the ML body frame experiences bending.

dt77
    hehe, look at all these flags next to peoples' names...hehe..Drew, got sgp of hkg flags too ?

dt77
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    I think we should replace the flag w/ MB logos ;-)
    OR little gifs of the ML ! =)
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Testing...like my little Canadian flag? ;-) We've introduced this feature so that we can differentiate which countries our members reside in (provided you provide the appropriate info in your profile, of course), especially since we have now brought in Town Hall UK.
    Thanks for your e-mails. I figured out what happened the last time WRT why Photopoint ate my uploads. The image files were over 2600 X 2600 dpi, and Photopoint doesn't allow images that large. I've resized them and will upload them at once.
    A couple of people have written to me in the past asking what sort of pump I use to fill my tires. Here are a couple of pictures of my 100psi hand air pump. It was on sale that week for about CDN$12, and came with several attachments for inflating other objects.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards

P.S. The wheels were just washed prior to these pictures ;-)

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't get it. That's a lot of volume to be filling up with a lil' ol' hand pump. Do the service stations charge beaucoup bucks for air up there?

(my foot operated Taiwanese pump cost US $1.25, btw ).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Why not use a portable that runs off of the cigarette lighter? I think mine cost me $12 USD at K-Mart. I keep one in each vehicle for emergencies.

Still use the hand pump on the mountain bike though.
    I'm headed toward getting a hand bike pump as well. It's basically the fastest way to get air into the tire unless you want to spend $$$. The foot pump is 2nd fastest. The cigarette lighter type is slowest (though it is the easiest to use ;-). The reason is the pump cylinder volume (think piston size) determines the speed you can pump air in. For pumping, bigger is better. :-)

The electric ones aren't fast unless you hack in a room A/C compressor or spend >$300 for an "off-roading" electric pump. Actually, I've always wondered why car makers don't provide an air hookup for the car's built-in A/C compressor.
  • sandeckisandecki Member Posts: 29
    Hi All!
    I am planning on upgrading my wheels on 2001 ML320 to 17 inch. From tire perspective there are not that many choices. I am the Michelin fanatic but unfortunately online I could not find the new Michelin SUV Terrain which looks pretty good.

But all there is available: Dun lop Grand Trek (our original Equip) or Pirelli Scorpion (double the price of Dun lop)

Question: Are the Pirellis really worth it? And what do you all think about original Dun lops? I didn't have the car for too long to form an opinion yet. Thanks for your help. BUS
    Perhaps it's because you got the name of the Michelin tires wrong. They're the Michelin Cross Terrains, not the UV Terrains.

I like the Dunlop Grandtrek tires. They're very quiet, seem to be wearing well, and have good grip in the snow (and area also capable for mild offroading).
    Gas stations don't charge for air over here :-) I like having a pump at home since it's so much more convenient, especially in the rainy months (which is basically 8 out of 12 in Vancouver ;-) . Did I mention that it has been raining the whole day, not that I really mind? :-p ). Also, after driving to the gas station, the tires have warmed up and the readings won't be accurate. Besides, it's not like I'm inflating the tire from 0 psi. I'm just adjusting it a little.

As for the foot pump, I managed to torque the frame sideways after all of the pumping that I've done. The cylinder is also far smaller than the hand pump, and hence it takes a longer amount of time and greater effort to increase the tire by 2 psi. (2 or 3 pumps of the hand pump = 20 pumps of the foot pump).
    I have a 12 volt powered compressor in the cargo area as well. It has an emergency blinker and a flashlight. I don't like it because it's slow and extremely noisy, as Ken mentioned.

Drew
    Host
    Well, if it's volume and not pressure you're after, I recommend a Carlson Barrel Pump. Everytime I use one, I'm reminded why I prefer canoeing over rafting. Thanks for the info.

Steve
    Host
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Right you are, the speed is SLOW when using the electric, but convenient.

Drew: I like the flag thingies, I think I'll change my country once a day! hehe
    Steve:
    That has got to be the biggest *ss hand raft pump I've ever seen, with a price to go with it. I bet you could use it to pump up monster truck tires. LOL! :-)
    Well, my buddy indeed has one and it comes in handy on those chilly early mornings when his raft is about 1/2 deflated. Then along about 11 o'clock you have to start bleeding air off so the tubes won't bust in the sun and leave you stranded.

btw, kenyee, seems like one of the GM vans (Silhouette?) came with a little elec. pump (like tonychrys's probably) stuck in the back fender well. What do the Hummer's use to get pumped up from the dashboard anyway?

Steve
    Host
    You have one of those $200 monsters? Yikes!

Yes, the GM vans with the auto leveling pneumatic rear suspension do have an onboard hookup for filling up things. It's only a hookup though, since it utilises the suspension hardware to provide the air.

As for the Hummer, I seem to recall that it has a tank of compressed air somewhere onboard (which is constantly topped off by a pump). There are lines that feed off this tank and go directly into to the wheels. It's called the CTIS (optional) - Central Tire Inflation System. The obese tires take forever to inflate though, even with the compressed air tank.

Drew
    Host
    Frugal me? Nah, I just have friends with $200 pumps and $5,000 rafts. And pricey MB SUV's too, come to think of it :-) If I "consumed" all that stuff, I'd have to get a real job, lol.

Steve
    Host
    http://reality.sgi.com/rogerb/4x4/CheapTricks/OnBoardAir.html

The QuickAirII (needs direct battery connections) is actually almost as fast. The QuickAirIII is supposed to be much faster and should be released by now. The problem w/ the electric compressors is that the goods ones are $$$ :-P

• dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    LOL!! Hey, are you going to make FF?
  • maristellamaristella Member Posts: 23
    Hi y'all.
    I'm taking my ML for service next week to have the "gas tank sensor" replaced. The last couple of times I've filled it, the tank reads 3/4 full even though it is full. Has anyone else had this problem? I called Tony (my service advisor) and he diagnosed this problem quickly over the phone. I got the impression it might be a common problem.
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    Hey Dennett, I check your profile and I found out you are from San Diego....????I just don't know what is NL DEU stand for. I'm just want to learn something. FYI I am from Sun Dog also.
    Yes I'm from SD, we've talked before, I believe about the service at MB of San Diego. How's the ML doing? Are you going to the mini fun run the MBWorld group's doing Sat? I'm not, but I think I'll try to make it next month when they do the tour of Brabus, did I spell that right? The NL DEU stuff is so I can get a German flag, Drew jokingly said I couldn't do it in the C thread. I wanted a German flag to match my German car.
    Perhaps biker5 didn't recognize your new accent, dennett. I wonder if there's anything in the Terms of Use here about using one consistent login flag, lol.

Steve
    Host
    I think I'll leave it that way, unless somebody tells me put it back!
    Too many star spangled banners next to usernames in Town Hall anyway ;-). I'll "fly" my TH Canadian flag proudly :-)

Unfortunately I won't be able to make Fridays Freeways. At least not for the 1st half. Have fun and good luck with the trivia!
    Yes, it is a known problem for MLs (and a couple of other MB vehicles actually). Those built after January 2000 got the latest version of the fuel pump/fuel sending unit; I've had mine changed a few months ago too, and no problems since.

It seems that the high sulphur content of North American petrol, in addition to the fuel tank (below the gas station, that is) liner are both the main culprits for the inaccuracies. MB substantially beefed up the design of the later FSU's and it seems to be okay now.

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    I was driving on the 110 here in SOCAL. Carpool lane and it was beginning to merge into one. Was going at about 75 mph. Saw a black spot on the ground from a distance, but couldn't avoid it in time...rumble rumble. The left wheels of the ML just rode over it. A damn POTHOLE ! the ml shook like it never shook before.hmm..should I be concerned ? pothole was maybe 1.5 ft in diamter and maybe 6" deep...haven't noticed anything different..but i'm just paranoid.

dt77
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    This is just to test the flag feature. What if you live somewhere else than where your "roots" are??

Of course I know that Luxembourg is not located in Denmark - but I only live here. I'm not Luxembourgish, nor will I ever be. So I see no reason to wave the Luxembourgish flag about.

It might be an idea to include more possibilities in the next makeover. Maybe even a EU flag, and the flags of the individual US states......

Happy motoring to all,

Birger

PS: Heh-heh, seems that the system got confused by the Luxembourg DNK in my profile

PPS: Wonder what flag will come up after modifying my profile??
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    That's funny, even LUX Luxembourg didn't bring up the Luxembourg flag. Wonder what happens now?? Or doesn't the Edmund's base have flags from smaller countries??

Birger
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    Hi all,

Any spy news of changes and/or enhancement for the '02 ML's? I am looking to purchase a ML in the next six months, want to know if I should wait for the '02 or take the plunge with a '01.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions.
    Mike
  • robsutsrobsuts Member Posts: 18
    Mike -
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm waiting for the 2002 ML to come out. If you search the web, you'll find a spy photo of the 2002 with a refreshed facial and bumper wrap-around. The 430 is possibly going to be replaced by a 500 (5 liter) version. The ML-500 is a "for sure" thing. You can get confirmation of that from the MBUSI.com site by searching for "2002". I've heard that automatic climate control will be available (sad?) and maybe the head lights will finally be automatic (wishful thinking). Confirmation of the automatic climate control can be seen in the Canadian mercedes site under the Fads. I wish they would FIX the rear seat fold down. You have to remove the head-rests and throw them in back when you fold them down. Horrid. Take care -Rob
  • dleungnycdleungnyc Member Posts: 41
    Welcome to pothole driving. 8). I would check for wheel alignment at least, and maybe even the tie rod connection, if the M-class has it ( I don't own a M-class yet, my current garage is too small for it, waiting for my new house 8). ) You might also want to do a visual inspection on the tire and wheel to see if there are any damages.

At the speed you indicated, I would definitely have it check out. Even with the stop and go traffic in NYC, hitting a sizeable pothole at 30mph will jar my car out of alignment.
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    On the MB World site, CLK section, a number of us are going to try and meet up for the April 28th auction in Tarrytown NY. It is suppose to be quite a car show, I'm not necessaryly talking about the auction, but the cars in the parking lot. We may try to get an area just for MB. Please read the note sent to me by Jim on the CLK site.

To: Modntractr@aol.com

Hi Steve,

Christies' Exceptional Motor Cars Auction will be April 28th at the
    Lyndhurst Property in Tarrytown New York.
    Viewing is from 9am to 12 auction begins at 2pm probably about two hours.

For more info an to order a catalog call Christie's : 212-636-2277 and/or
    visit their website: www.christies.com

I enough MB people show we can take over a corner of the parking lot for our
    own show.
    I have many friends at Christie's so I may be able arrange this with them.

Stay in touch,

Jim
  • bfengbfeng Member Posts: 6
    Dear ML owners,

I see the reliability topic has reared it's ugly head again.
    A few things to remember about CU's reliability reports:
    They are based on feedback from members who own the vehicle in question
    As such, they are inherently biased by the expectations and idiocyncracies
    of the owners of each specific vehicle. It's my bet that a Mercedes owner
    is a LOT more finicky than a Chevy owner. That in and of itself would cause
    identically reliable vehicles to perform differently in CU's ratings.

Also, OEM's (and CU) does not differentiate between niggling problems and ones
    that leave you stranded. That affects the meaning of those "not-recommended" ratings.

Lastly, the ML IS NOT one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. It has a multitude
    of niggling problems (some assembly related and some out and out stupid design flaws).
    It's still a great vehicle and the one I'd buy for my wife had I to do it all over again. But,
    I don't wear rose colored glasses, and I will admit the Expedition we had previous to the
    ML had generally better build quality and better materials on the interior. (this says
    nothing about the antiquated mechanical design of the Expd)

John F.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    That's the flag where the sun symbolizes liberty the eight rays represent the first eight provinces that fought Spain? The three stars represent the three major islands of Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao?

I'm learning more geography here than car stuff:-)

Steve
    Host
  • sydney6sydney6 Member Posts: 64
    Hey, it didn't work!
    Thanks Drew! I thought this gas issued had emerged before. Hope they fix it well.

I like the flags...Hope my homeland's flag showed up.
    Nope, it didn't show up! Whoever decided to add flags needs to review US/World history!
    I just noticed after Service A, my black brake calipers have been stratched quite a bit. anyone have similar experiences?

dt77
    For a flag to show up, the country must be in the drop down list when you edit your profile and tell where you live.

And no, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, as a territory, isn't on the list :-(. I'll mention it "upstairs" if you promise not to turn this into a Seinfield episode .

Steve
    Host