Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Hi, everyone:

Ken, I'm sorry. I thought this abbreviation was commonly used. I meant the center stoplight in the rear window. I've also noticed a change from my '99 horns towards the '01 ones. I was thinking of the original ones, which were sonically as unconvincing as the center stop light still is visually.

Spike: The ML DOES have a lockout switch for the windows. The only trouble is that where it's located (slide switch on the console), your dog might accidentally step on it. BTW: Couldn't we have a picture of this dog of wonders??

Kind regards from Europe,

Birger
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    As I approach 30k mi on the DunlopGrantrek TG35 "S" speed rated tires on our 99ML320 my concern is that the only similar offering now available is "H" speed rated.The potential for a deterioration in ride quality or increase in noise may be something I wish to avoid with my next tires.

The recent discussion of new Dunlops and competing Michelins has caught my attention while a recent automag (Car and Driver?) rating Yokohama the best all around in all categories really caught my attention wince the test mule was an ML320.

Any thoughts out there?
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    rockypaul:

If you want some info on alternatives, stop by http://www.keysolutions.com/M-Class and have a look at the tire ratings. Unfortunately, not that many people have contributed. I know a few folks on the M-Class list have put on Yoko AVS tires.

If I were you, I'd wait and get the new Dunlops (assuming you're mostly doing street driving)...
  • redgoatee7redgoatee7 Member Posts: 30
    Hey,

I have the same situation with my dog. Her paws are just the right size to lower the windows. My mom just puts a small pillow on the center console of her ML, which doesn't totally elimate the problem, but it's better than nothing. But the most annoying thing is in my 1996 C220 with the trunk release on the center console. The release works with the car in drive but only if the car is stopped. Let's just say my dog has the habit of opening the trunk at red lights...and the trunk opens ALL the way...

-Todd
  • bonefish9bonefish9 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me where I can purchase the
    Rearview Fresnel mirror ??

Thanks,
    Rich
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    But the trunk switch is pull up. And you need to hold it for at least a second. If your pooch is doing that, she's doing it on purpose.
    bonefish9:
    I couldn't find it at any of the local auto stores in the Boston area and ended up ordering it from J.C. Whitney. It's called the Backsee.
  • djohnson64djohnson64 Member Posts: 43
    Try Pep Boys.
  • mikestaleymikestaley Member Posts: 35
    22K on my Y2K ML320 and I am very pleased.

Months ago I saved a contact # for someone who was sharing the extended warranty for a super price.

Well I can not find that information and have two weeks to make the purchase.

Please advise me via mail if you have a "contact."

Thank you... Mike
    Email = mike@mikestaley.com
  • bonefish9bonefish9 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the help

Rich
  • wbreauxwbreaux Member Posts: 33
    We have a 2000 E320 and love it. Am considering getting a SUV. The Mercedes looks better to me than the Lexus and I suppose the cost is about the same. The one major difference I've read is the Lexus drives more like a car. I would appreciate any comments/observations on this or other differences between the two.
  • redgoatee7redgoatee7 Member Posts: 30
    Sorry that this is off topic...but the trunk release on a 1996 C220 is a push down button. They changed it to the pull up switch on the 1998 models.

-Todd
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    Someone said that the ML is a truck that rides like a car, and the RX300 is a car that rides like a truck, what it all means is the ML is a truck, with a heavy ladder frame, good for towing specially in difficult situations since it has a low range box, and very decent off road. The steering is very precise like your E class.

On the other hand the RX300 is built on a car platform, not as sturdy, without a frame, yes the ride should be more car like.
    I have an ML430 and considering that it is a four wheel drive vehicle I find the ride quite good.
  • maristellamaristella Member Posts: 23
    Mike; My dealer said you can purchase the extended warranty up to 40K miles (and not 'till 1 year after delivery as I thought). Their price has been the same since day one; $2500. I have 24K miles on my 17 m/o ML. If you can get a better deal, let me know. I'm interested.

Dave; Welcome! What took you so long?
  • geardaddiesgeardaddies Member Posts: 5
    As I test drove an ML320, I was quite impressed. The two questions I have are has anyone towed much with these and does not being able to easily reach the stereo volume control ever get to you? Thanks.
    The question about the stereo volume button has been discussed several times before. Some people don't find it easy, but despite the fact that I'm under 6', don't have gorilla like arms, and sit with the seat as far back as possible, I can touch the button quite easily.
    I tow a pair of three seaters jetskies and a large trailer with other gear, about 3500lbs with no problems, average speed 75, sometimes for over 1000 miles (to the Fla Keys) with an ML430. I know off a fellow who pulls a car trailer with a racing car with an ML320, to different tracks, I asked him about, he said no problem.
    Also keep in mind that the ML has a low range gearbox, it is a plus when in difficult situations, you can keep the vehicle in low range and put the selector in first gear, is almost a crawler gear, go to the dealer and try it, it will pull hard.
    I'm 5'9" and have no problems. It looks like it would be a problem from where they're placed, but in real use, I'm comfortable changing radio stations, etc.
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    Maristella: The 4 yr 50K M/B Premium Extended Warranty must be purchased within 1 year of purchase by the original purchaser. E-mail me and I will tell you where I purchased my ML warranty at a considerable discount (thanks drew)
  • brwndoggy2000brwndoggy2000 Member Posts: 1
    Are these at all discounted in Texas? I live in Austin and there is one dealer so I'm guessing the price won't be the best. 1 Dealer in a town of 1 million!!!

Also, is there anything new for the 2002 coming?
    When we bought our ML we had tried many suv's. Had an RX300 for 2 days then drove the ML.
    Technology of ML is far superior.

2. RX has a front drive Camry engine/transmission mounted sideways as in most front drive vehicles. The shortcomings of that set-up are many but one that was particularly irksome to me was the 42 foot turning radius. I simply could not turn in quick enough to park in my spot without backing up twice. When i finally discovered the spec that lead to this dilemma I realized the RX would be no where near as maneuverable as the ML. The ML has a logitudinal drive train which is far more efficient.

3. Misc.: RX is a 4 speed trans not 5; no low range; not in any spec as heavy duty as the ML; ML has 4 wheel traction control in addition to fulltime 4 wd with a 50/50 torque split; the RX is front wheel drive that kicks in the rear only when needed and in our climate requires the optional limited slip rearend to be effective in snow.

4. both are good vehicles backed up by the best manufacturers' service and warranty policies (I've had both Merc and Lex). The Ml is way cooler.

5. I am often asked about gas mileage. To the surprise of all I get over 20 mpg consistently, winter and summer. When I commute the 38 miles to my office I can get 24 mpg without trying.
    No SUV can compare, that is a real SUV.

Hope this helps and remember - test drive, test drive, test drive....
  • jferris1jferris1 Member Posts: 8
    I have the Michelin Cross Terrains on my 99ML320. I have about 1K miles on them and I'm very pleased with them. Much quieter than the original Generals. I had to take a size larger to get the Cross terrains (70 vs 65?), but everything is working fine.
  • mcferbrmcferbr Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone advise me on what I should pay for a 1999 ML 320, 17k miles, Black Opal, Gray Leather, Moon Roof, 6-Disc Changer, Bose Sound, StarMark Certified? It is in very good condition with a small door ding on one side and a paint chip on the other side. The dealer is asking $31,900. Thanks in advance.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    This '01 Jasper Blue/Ash ML430 with the Skyview roof option was at the Vancouver autoshow last weekend. Again, the picture doesn't do the colour justice. It's much brighter in person.

More autoshow pictures, including detailed ones of the all new '02 MB C230K coupe can be seen here:
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=137587&a=12386777&f=0&sp=0

Bob (bob259) sent me pictures of his Hella MicroDE foglamp installation in the front bumper brake duct area. They complement his HID Xenon headlamps nicely.

• dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    What u guys think about fender flares ? hot or not ? Looks more muscular..but does is give the illusion that my wheels are smaller ? hmmm...
    how much are the OEM flares from MB cost anyway ? they are unpainted correct ? installation concerns ?

dt77
    00ml430
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Hi, everyone

Unless you activate the "city lights", you (on the US/CAN side of the Pond) will not be able to use the silver-look-flash-amber bulbs by Philips and Osram. These bulbs will probably fit in your receptacles, but they're single-filament (21W) and not like your amber ones dual-filament (21/5W). You will thus lose the 'corner lights', unless you get hold of a proper 5W bulb to put in the empty socket in the high beam reflector and do a bit of supplementary wiring.

Just my late-evening 2ç/0.02€

Birger

- who's off on early Easter holidays until 04/16 :-)
  • sydney6sydney6 Member Posts: 64
    Those are brake COOLING ducts, and given the M'Class' propensity to use it's brakes to control direction/traction (ESP), I would not think it wise to block the air duct leading cooling air to them.

Just my two-cents worth.....
    Nah, I don't think they'll overheat. Many ML owners have installed lamps in the same positions and have reported no noticable effects. I guess we don't brake the same way that the Germans may do on the autobahn ;-) Besides, Bob's lamps do not obstruct the openings completely, so air is still allowed to pass through that area.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    You're probably right, but they were put there for a reason, maybe partially for aesthetics, but I wouldn't do it.
  • lionahtlionaht Member Posts: 2
    does one have to get the mercedes navigation cds for different regions or is there a microsoft version or something?...dealer wants $135 for it

if i have a timeport phone can i integrate it with my vehicle?
  • epauerepauer Member Posts: 4
    $31,900 for a 99 ML320 with 17K miles is a great deal. I would have expected the dealer to want at least $35K for it. The 1999 model does not suffer from many of the problems that plagued the 1998 models, and it also includes ESP.
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    sidney6: I too was a little concerned about that, at first, but after looking at many different style lamps I chose the Hella Micro DE's because they do offer so much room around the lamp housings for air to flow. It's actually more room then the picture depicts. The affect should be minimal, and as Drew pointed out there have been many people who have made similar modifications, some I might add block it considerably more then my set up.

Of course the best solution would have been to get the ML 55 bumper assembly too, but I didn't think it was worth $2K.

Bob
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    LET'S THINK ABOUT THIS - 2000 MODELS were cleared out late last year for @ $35K...this was with all the new improved interior and MCS + more.... So I would not necessarily think $31,900 is a good deal on an older 1999 model.

I think it is a good deal for the dealer to sell it at such a price but I would think twice before doing it... Here is why... In just a few months (or much sooner) we will have official information on the 2002 models with the many improvements over all previous model ML's...Such as Front and Rear Climate controls, Side Air Bag Air Curtains, New Side mirrors with signal markers, new front and rear bumpers, new Bi-xenon headlamps, New Bose Stereo Speaker Configuration, Automatic Power up "AND" down windows, rear 1/4 power window options, Linguatronic options + other comfort features... ALL of this means we will all take a considerable hit on our current "19xx-2001" model values.

Even if no changes were going to be made, the $31,900 would suggest that the same people who purchased 2000 models at @ $35K would be able to sell them at no loss or even a profit... doubt this seriously... as soon as you drive a vehicle off the lot in this price range you've lost $5K! In addition, the 2001 model are selling close to invoice now in many locations with good negotiation skills. This will soon change to perhaps below invoice as dealers try to clear out 2001 inventory in preparation for the 2002 models. Therefore, you would be better off spending $5K more for a 2001 model now and have full warranty, full maintenance and all the new standard features the 2000+ models have over the 19xx models....

Finally, we own a 1999 ML430 and am very happy with it but our vehicle with every option M4, Bose, Sky///, metallic brilliant silver is worth about what you might be paying for same year ML320....

My advice - get a 2000+ model. Your best scenario, as explained above, would be to work a deal on a 2001 ML320 for close to invoice; with all the ++++ of a new vehicle it is well worth the difference... OR wait until the 2001's are being cleared out below invoice and get and even better deal...

Final Final comments.... just because a dealer asks these prices does not mean you could sell the vehicle yourself for these "high market" prices... they have a very large audience and sometimes an Uneducated Buyer is their Best Customer : )

Take care - Frank
    Plus the newer ML's have more insulation and better door seals, hill descent and better off-road capabilities by having a quicker response to wheel spin.
    A friend of mine has gotten a 430 in WA state for ~$1000 over invoice. Seems like people are really worried about the economy, gas or stocks and nobody's buying them SUVs. Now's a really good time to buy.
  • drwagdrwag Member Posts: 8
    To whom it may concern: the ML 2003 looks similiar the ML 55 AMG, but with twin lights, looks very nice, air suspension, new desing at the back. In the german magazin "geländewagen-suv`s", issue 4/2001, you can see the ML2003, also the coming Porsche Cayenne SUV, a test about the ML 270 CDI, a test about the "unimog 1450", the ultmate offraoder. Don`t know, if they send the journal to USA, ask e-mail "Gelaendewa@aol.com", ask also for the next coming issue in april 11, there would be a comparision test between ML 55 AMG and BMW X5 4.4. The adress of the magazin is: Am Sportplatz 1, D-82041 Deisenhofen/Germany, Fax 089/6132455.
    ML Friends, within two messages, one phone call and a fax I was able to receive the extended Premium warranty at a price considerably lower than would have been able to purchase here in Florida.

I don't know if it would be bad Karma to list the name. Email me directly and I will share with you.
    Been reading this room for a year and I must say that many writers must be in need of an eye exam.
    Why all the need for Higher output bulbs, auxiliary lighting, etc.?

I drive 38 miles to my office in rain, fog, and 125 inches of snow each year. The only lights on my 99 ML320are the original and factory activated fogs. I have absolutly no problem seeing at night or in heavy fog or snow and I wear bi-focals.

Are you folks near blind or are these simply vanity installs?
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    All of the above !!!!!
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    I just spoke with the MB salesman who sold me a MB before. I asked him about '02 ML - below is what he said....

Said shipping of '02 will be earlier this year than before. MB will probably begin shipping '02 in August '01. Current '01 allocation will stop in June. "Special Program" (rebate/discounts) will begin in July '01.

He will mail me with '02 ML features difference. I'll post them if they are not redundant.

Mike
    Rockypaul: I agree. I am perfectly happy with the stock lights on my '00320, but I live in a fairly metropolitan area. I don't ususally drive out into the back country at night, but I can see how some would want extra lighting. But it sure seems like the subject has been beaten to death several times over on this forum.

Bob: I imagine your brakes will be OK, but I would be careful on long downhill runs with a trailer in the desert!
  • djohnson64djohnson64 Member Posts: 43
    I would be discreet about the extended warranty deal as some good-intentioned people in the past had gotten into trouble. I would not mention any names because the local dealership could get jealous and angry when they lose the deal and throw a temper tantrum.
    I probably would mention something non-specific like "I can get this warranty at XYZ price at another dealership" and see if they can match for you. If not, the answer is simple.
    David
    Any chance you could scan the image and post it?
    I'm curious if they're just showing the MY2002 pictures. The air suspension is not coming out until the full redesign in MY2004 (2003 year introduction)...
  • dietmikedietmike Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone had any reception or other problems with the upgraded Bose system? Mine is a 01 320 sport. Where is the antenna, in the back windshield? Thanks.
    Sorry that should be a 2001 ML430.
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    Hi Rolf,

Thanks for sharing the info. but it is not likely many of us will be able to get the publication in a timely manner. Can you scan a photo such as Ken requested or send a scanned version to Drew so he can post?

If you can't, can you describe what you mean by "twin headlights"... are you saying a totally new hood and fender arrangement with separate lights such as the E-class? Or are you just referring to a similar looking arrangement to what we currently have on the ML but with distinct interior high low projector beams in a one piece assembly?

Thanks Again!

Frank
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    I only got mine because at the time, i was just being a law abiding person and did not activate my integrated fogs.

dt77
    http://fullspeed.to/ml
  • atomic80atomic80 Member Posts: 24
    After much debating whether or not I should have two 4x4's, one truck and one SUV, I decided to instead sell my 2001 ML55 and get a car instead. The ML55 is in the Seattle area and for those of you that are interested, email me at jgtang@mindspring.com. I'll be selling it at fair market value to be discussed via email.

Photos of my ML55 can be found here:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1295943&a=9616489

Please be aware that those photos were taken at delivery/pickup back in October.

I'll be ready to actually deliver the ML55 in mid-May for those of you that are wondering.

Any questions, please email me.

Jason