Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• rjlimrjlim Member Posts: 30
    By the way, I bought the ML430 wheels, and trying to figure out what tires to use. I tried calling Jensen Tires and told them I'm looking for a Dunlop 275/55R17 and they said that Dunlop does not have that size, nor any other tire makers. Any suggestions as to what kind of tires I should use?

Thanks
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    biker5 -

I'm live in Virginia.

Has anyone from VA activated their aux lights?
  • cjgordoncjgordon Member Posts: 32
    I just found a wiring harness (unattached to anything) in my jack storage compartment. It's in a clear bag that says Aux. Light Wiring Harness. Where does this thin attach. I've got aux. lights, but they're not hooked to anything.

Also, I have a new wiring harness for towing (from MB dealer). Where/how does this attach?

Any help on either of these is sincerely appreciated.

chris
  • maabmaab Member Posts: 41
    Yup!
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    cj,
    Check the harness...and if it is a Y designed and have a connector on each end that is the harness for your front foglight, you can check it by inserting the blue plug to the harness on your ML and can be found on right side of the grill if you are facing the car open the black rubber cover. Towing harness...on your trunk just right below the first aid kit there are two square opening that you can lift up gently, pick the one close to the lift gate.. inside you will find the wiring cable for your harness.Connect it and pop out the rubber groumet on the car floor so you can pull the end of the harness to attach to your bumper. hope this will help.
    gpvs,
    I used to live in Northern VA for 12 years during my active years in the military,specifically Springfield, VA. Sorry for the off topic.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    This is a (quick) translation of Auto, Motor und Sport's report pertaining to MB's new addition to the off-road family. Pictures (Computer images) can be seen at http://www.mbnz.org under "Forums" and "W 163 M-Class". Please excuse the lack of refinement in the translation (not enough time):

2004 is the beginning of a new offensive move in the off-road market, strategically fucused on north america. Preparations began last year with an investment of $600 million in MB's Tuscaloosa plant. The intention is to double the current capacity to 160 000 units within the next three years.

Not only the new ML-Class (W 164) will be produced there by the end of 2004, but also (even six months earlier) a completely new type of off-roader, the GST (Grand Sport Tourer). This large tourer will posess good off-road capabilities and will be based on the upcoming ML-Class' technology. It is planned to target the more comfort-oriented clientele, for whom the current Geländewagen is just too crude, and who tend to buy the likes of LC, RR, Porsche Cayenne and VW Colorado.

The all-wheel-driven GST will be available in a standard version as well as a version with extended wheelbase, which will not only house a larger trunk but also a fully retractable third seat option. The GST, just as the new ML, will no longer have a separate ladder frame, but a unibody construction. Not only does this measure save weight and cost, it also allows for more flexibility in terms of additional body versions. Novelty for ML and GST: the availability of air suspension and manual leveling on the rear axle.

This construction hints that the "big tourer" will emphasize a comfortable ride over off-road capabilities. For the latter, MB still offers the G-Class (Geländewagen) and Chrysler's Jeep models.

Visually, the close to 17 ft (slightly more than 5 meters) long stretch-version appears big, with a mighty grille, turn signals on top of the front fenders, bulging fenders and quarters, high roof line, panoramic rear glass and vertical tail lights.

Depending on the market, the GST will be available with both, gas and diesel engines, a part of which is force-fed (turbo or supercharger). The smaller engines in the four-, six- and eight cylinder lineup will be confined to Europe. Power ratings should range from 200hp to 400hp in the AMG versions. At least half of all Grand Sport Tourers will most likely be sold in the Geländewagen-crazy USA, where the ML is already an established force in the market, and where the G-Class is now even officially imported.

Although it's hugely popular in the US, the current ML has a big drawback - it is too small. 15 ft (4.58m) might be more than "good size" from a European point of view, but in traffic dominated by full size pick-ups, gigantic vans and monster-SUVs like Excursion, Navigators and Suburbans, the ML-Class seemingly shrinks to Micky-Mouse format. Bigger size is needed just to help visual appearance.

MB goes this route also to separate the ML more from its Detroit sibling, the JGC. It will grow by roughly eight inches (20cm), with an additional version with extended wheelbase in mind. As opposed to the tourer, the next ML will be the more pronounced off-roader, improved over the current version by additional locking differentials.

Optical differences between the ML and the GST will not only be the sheer size, but also the wedge-type appearance due to an ascending side line, a dropping roof line, and a boxy rear end. The cockpit of the second generation ML boasts a newly designed instrument cluster with a prominent and huge color monitor in the center console. In order to keep the current ML-Class attractive until the sucessor is available, it will be refreshed in time for the Frankfurt Auto Show. A first outlook as to the GST might be shown at the Detroit Auto Show in January of 2002.

Exhausted Tarik
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Thanks for the AMS translation.
  • tonytontonyton Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to your help guys I found the 2002 Facelift pics. If anybody else is curious, you can check these 2 links:http://mbspy.bacosys.be/w163fl.htm,

and

http://216.122.199.143/forums/w163/vthread.asp?messid=1818

The changes seem to be interesting and may be worth the wait. Anyone know if there will be an increase in the MSRP ?
  • sslibertyssliberty Member Posts: 7
    Last week I received notification from MB that my 2000 ML320 now requires use of synthetic motor oil as part of the FFS. The recommended engine oils are as follows:

Mobil 1 Synthetic 15W-50
    Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W-40 (only available to dealers)
    Valvoline Synthetic 5W-30
    Castrol Syntec 5W-50
    Castrol Syntec 10W40
    Castrol TXT Softec Plus 5W-30
    Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30
    Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Mobil 1 user like most people on this board. Is MB telling me that Mobil 1 OW-30, 5W-30, 10W-30 are not as good as the other brands listed in similar weights?

I live in Southern California, do alot of stop and go driving, many short trips of less than 10 miles, drive to Mammoth Lakes (snow country) via the desert in both winter and summer. At 1200 miles I changed the mystery factory oil with Mobil 1 5W30 and plan to continue oil changes at half the FSS schedule (approx. 5000 mile intervals). I can't get a straight answer from any of the half dozen dealers in my area. What Mobil 1 weight oil would be best?

I don't like second guessing MB, but 15W-50 seems to heavy and does not provide enough cold temp. protection, and 0W-40 is not available for do-it-your-selfers. What's a guy to do?

Thanks in advance!
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    Did I read that rigth, will a diesel model be available?
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Yes, the ML400 CDI is new for '02, however, not for the North American market. Our high sulphur diesel is the main stumbling block since it renders the advanced emission control devices useless.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Thanks a lot for the AMS translation, Tarik! Good job and it sounds very interesting! I wonder how the locking differentials idea is going to work though. No more 4 wheel independent suspension and traction control? Or maybe only a locking diffy for the centre?

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    ssliberty: When I contacted Mobil a short time ago on where, other then the dealer, I could get the 0w40 Mobil 1 MB suggested they told me it was only available at my MB dealer. However, they went on to say their Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 commercial oil met all of MB's new requirements. I live in upstate NY where we have some quite cold weather, so the 15w50 is not a viable option for my use.

I will be using this for my next change, in between the FSS/dealer changes. Mobil 1's Delvac being a commercial vehicle lubricate is available at most truck stops or repair centers in 4 quart containers.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    Has anyone washed the Engine compartment of their M-Class. Is it safe? Should I watch out for something.

Thanks,
  • cjgordoncjgordon Member Posts: 32
    ...for the info Jaime. And, thanks for the CD Changer Roger.

chris
  • sencsenc Member Posts: 44
    Roger:
    Any idea what he did? I have heard some techs are slitting the seal and inserting very small aquarium tubes ti tighten up the connection between the seal and the steel of the roof. At what dealer/city is your German tech located? Thanks for any info.
  • maabmaab Member Posts: 41
    I'll be very carefull. I tried to wash SAAB engine once, and I messed it up big time. I covered ignition coil and such with plastic bags; however, it just went to a limp mode, and convulse like crazy at idle. A sad scene of freshly waxed black convertilble on a sunny day, but can't drive. My mechanic friend came by and "dried" out MAP sensor(s).

We all know MB has more electronic than anyone out there, so just be careful.
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    I second the carefullness of washing the engine. I once had a corvette and used superclean on it, the acid in the superclean stained the aluminum valve covers. if you do wash it, make sure that the engine is cold. There are some engine cleaners on the marker that act like oven cleaners and must be sprayed on while the engine is hot, but rinsed off after it cools, Gunk comes to mind
  • wedgebunnywedgebunny Member Posts: 14
    I've read a few posts about taking their MLs off the asphalt and love to read some more, after all MB says the ML is more of a truck than a shopping center curb hopper.

I have an MB sedan but I needed something with more space. I picked up my'01 ML 320 with the idea of hauling stuff and going off road with the added comfort of an MB vehicle. What I mean by off road is not the lawn and not the Adirondack Trail, I mean within reason but tougher than light off roading.

Around me in the Northeast there are tons of those freshly staked out areas for future developments. Usually the future road has been staked out and a Catipillar has run up and down it a few times. So they range from a few messy ruts to muddy pits.

I must say the ML did better than I thought, I do recommend you turn the ESP off since it hurts momentum and can get annoying with all of its complaining. I am used to off roading being the past owner of Jeeps and International Harvesters and running them into the ground (literally)around the Catskill Mountains. This type of run was nothing new to me, but doing it in the ML was, SUVs are not supposed to do this, but MB says the ML can so lets go!

Keep in mind I did not take the ML into any serious areas, but, I did hit a few challenging spots. The ride was controlled and comfortable. Not once did I feel as though we would get stuck. A few times we hit a bump hard enough to get the front end to jump a bit, but coming back down was uneventful. Let me add that a Lexus RX300 I would never take here. With the hundreds of large undulations, logs and large stones to go over I'd be fearful of bending something or hitting the frame as the car like suspension tried to absorb rough areas. The ML never felt stressed even when we hit some hard terrain.

I know the ML is not a true 4X4, but, I do believe Mercedes statement that it can handle far more than its competition, Lexus, MDX, etc. is very true, excluding a Land Rover. MB has done an excellent job of building a comfortable SUV that if needed, can take on some decent terrain.

Those of you thinking of trying this just be careful. As I mentioned before, I did hit some tough areas, but I was extremely careful when I did. Having no skid plates and a $40K vehicles paint job kept me humble :)

Look forward to some stories.
  • bishop1213bishop1213 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,

I am new here so bear with me, I have a question regarding MCS system vs The Command system, can some tell me the difference, I spoke to a sales man and he said that Command system is an MCS system with Navigation

Thansk In Advance
  • js888js888 Member Posts: 11
    Here's how I wash the engine on my other cars (have not washed the engine on the ML yet):

With a COLD engine, I cover up the usual suspects (electrical wirings, fuse box, coil...etc) with plastic sheets. Then I start the engine and spray water (or engine cleaner) GENTLY onto the enigne and the engine compartmant and when the engine starts to hick-up on a certain area I spray on, I know immediately that's an area I have to be very careful with, maybe add extra plastic cover onto it.

Just make sure you do it quickly before the engine warms up, you sure don't want to spray cold water on a hot engine. Unless you use hot water :-)

Hope this will help.

Joe
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    When the sunroof is in the opened or tilted position, how bad is the wind noise when the ML is traveling at city and highway speed? I am trying to decide if I should bother getting a sunroof on the ML. Thanks.

Mike
    wedgebunny:
    We'd had a few good stories on the m-class list (http://www.off-road.com/mbenz). A few folks live in Australia. :-)

mtsang:
    Might depend on other options you want. A sunroof is required for a lot of them.
    The noise is supposed to be bad w/ it open unless you get the wind deflector. It's ok when it is tilted up (what I do). You really should take it on a highway test drive and see for yourself...
  • wedgebunnywedgebunny Member Posts: 14
    kenyee: thanks for that ML off road link!!

mtsang: I have found that with the sunroof tilted up at highway speeds it is no louder than others. With it fully open you might want to crack the rear windows a bit to let the wind flow through and reduce that ear popping pressure that can bulid up. As kenyee suggested a test drive is the best. I am hooked on the sunroof so I say go for it, if you a buying and plan to sell your ML in the future it may be easier with a sunroof. Just look around your area and see if you see any MLs without them. Best of luck!
  • drmhfdrmhf Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2001 ml320 with a Bose CD changer in the rear. It's ridiculous to use when my kids want to keep switching CDs, and the ones they want aren't pre loaded. I think it's a stupid system.
    Anyone know of an after market CD deck that can be installed behind the MS display in the dash? Mark
  • pepe11pepe11 Member Posts: 41
    Still haven't gotten an answer on my original question. Anyone know why all of the sudden "Hi Oil" would come on. The oil was changed 3500 miles ago. I could understand low oil, but not high oil. Any suggestions?

TIA,
    Pete
  • haunruhhaunruh Member Posts: 14
    Pete, have you checked the dipstick? Maybe, when the oil was changed, it was filled to the top limit (not overfilled, just to the top of the limit). Now, when the oil heats up, it expands to the point of activating the Hi Oil sensor.

.... Harry
  • sencsenc Member Posts: 44
    Because the truck sits at a forward angle, you get more noise when the roof is open than in the sedans. The roof deflector was GREAT except that it eventually made the glass panel rattle because of how the wind went over it and hit the glass when closed. I love sunroofs, but this one has been a constant source of frustration. However, if you want an ML, I would get it anyway; you would never sell it without one. The 2001 roof seals are better and the deflector should solve noise with the roof open.
  • roger23roger23 Member Posts: 48
    I found on my 2000 ml430, if you open both rear quarter 'pop out ' windows, with the sun roof fully open, there is almost no buffeting and conversation level quietness. In contrast, my 1998 ml320, did not have the rear quarter pop out windows, and the buffeting was terrible.My MB dealer highly recommended that I ordered the pop out windows when I got my 2000 ml for that specific reason, and it was a great suggestion!
  • roger23roger23 Member Posts: 48
    I am really not sure what he did to fix the windnoise coming from the closed sunroof, but I am extremely happy with the result.MB dealer- Garden Motorcar- (905) 523 5557.
  • vpotlurivpotluri Member Posts: 47
    ML430 blows warm air. I took it into the dealership and they said they put a dye in along with freon fill-up. That improved nothing. I have to wait another 3 weeks before I can get them to take alook at it again. The 1991 Mazda Protege which was replaced by this %)K truck used to blow ice cold air if asked. This is my first summer in the car and it is furstrating driving in 90 degree weather. Any known issues like recalls with ACs in ML430? Thanks.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I never heard about AC problems, but for sure there is a dealer problem, their cure sounds almost like a patient visiting the doctor with pneumonia and the doctor giving hin an aspirin and telling him two check with him in a couple of weeks. If freon did not help it sounds like a stuck valve, anyway there is no reason for a good AC man not to find the problem within an hour at the most, raise hell with the dealer.
    vpotluri:
    I'd strongly suggest another dealer. A/C should work in 90 degree weather.

drmhf:
    You might want to talk to your service manager to see if one of your techs has ever hacked one. Someone moved the MB CD changer to under the front passenger seat; another moved it to under the 2nd row seat. This was the old CD changer that does not use fiber optic connectors though.
    You can't put one in the dash because you'd have to replace the MCS.
  • cdiccdic Member Posts: 36
    The procedure I have used to wash the engine compartment has worked on many cars very well for quite some years now. Cut "Simply Green" by 25% with water and put it in a spray bottle - like an old Windex bottle. Spray on the dirty spots of the cold engine and surrounding compartment. Then let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Spray lots of cold water to wash it off. Wait a few minutes and start up the engine and let it run for 5 minutes or so to dry it off.
    This procedure will not work on real old engines as this Simple Green stuff is just a concentrated soap and not a degreasing agent. But it seems to work extremely well if you don't let it get too bad to start with. I have never had an engine fail to start after this procedure, but I am also careful about how I go about it.
  • jquach1jquach1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,

I had an accident today 5/3/01. My 2000 ML-430 front bumper is all mess up. Since, I am replacing the bumper, I was thinking replacing to ML55 bumper. Question: will this fit on my ML430 and how much is the ML55 bumper cost?

Thanks for you help,
    -John
    jkquach@home.com
  • cavman2xcavman2x Member Posts: 26
    Has anyone experienced this?? With the rear door windows down, front windows up, and sunroof closed, an unbeliveable air pressure noise occurs in the passenger cabin. It feels like the pressure from a very powerfull subwoofer in your ears. At first i thought it was the radio/Cd going wacko, but my wife who said she experienced this before told the kids to close the windows and the pressure went away. It is really hard to describe so try it for yourself at highway speeds. Could it be that the cabin is so airtight. I don't know but as a person who likes the openess of a car it blew me away. TIA G
    IMHO...Yes, I did experience that sound..and the answer to your question about the airtightness of the ML, the answer is yes they are air tight, thats why the air pressure stay inside.If you want fresh air open 4 windows not just two.
  • cassiricassiri Member Posts: 40
    My '99 ML430 also has a defective AC. It only works in warm weather if the car is moving over about 20mph. Sitting at a light you can hear the compressor kick in and out rapidly. The result is warm air. Once I get going all is fine. They have replaced some part once before, but with summer approaching it looks like it's time again.
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    hey people, wats the fastest you've gone in your ML, and wat ML were u driving

also, does anyone have official 'limited' top speeds

dt77
    http://fullspeed.to/ml
  • andreassonandreasson Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone found inexpensive items, to increase performance? I have heard of N air filters, for other vehicles, which are often good for 10-15 P.

Comments?
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    has anyone been to one ?
    What goes on there ?

dt77
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    and others, thanks for the insightful feedback re: sunroof.

Mike
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Definately go to the power trip. EXTREMELY FUN

I went to the one for the ML. It was a blast. I think my page is still up

http://www.exconde.com/pt.htm

unfortunatly I never got to put the description up.

There will be a bunh of cars to test drive there

• bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    I just had a similar problem, a/c only worked at highway speeds. Turned out to be a bad AAM and pinched wire at the control box. Took four days to diagnose, but it works great now.
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    I signed up for the one in MA. The information and signup is at www.mbpowertrip.com
    As for wind buffeting from a sunroof, I installed
    a plastic bubble wind deflector that I purchased from Percission for about $40.00. It makes a big difference. It has two metal clips that insulated
    with a thin piece of adhesive to keep it from scratching any paint that it comes in contact with. Very simple instalation. MB sells one also, much cheaper than the MB skyroof deflector.
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Is the skyroof deflector easy to install on a non skyroof ML, if at all possible? Where can you get one of those since aren't those part of the package when you get the skyroof option? I looked at clairparts and didn't see it. Any suggestions?
  • macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    If you hear the a/c compressor turning on and off rapidly (and subsequent warm air), then the compressor has lost its freon. It cycles to protect itself from overheating which can occur if freon is gone. Seals get dry when the a/c is not used for a while (i.e., the winter). You need to cycle on your a/c (or use the defrost feature on occasion, min. once per month) to continue to keep the seals "moist". This is true for all cars and trucks, some more than others.

Go to the dealer, and have them repair. If compressor is shot, hopefully you are still under warranty, as this is an expensive fix.
  • ometofuometofu Member Posts: 53
    Just done a 100mph (for about 30 seconds, then new york traffics kicking in) on my 99mL in New York (major Deagan, I87)....
    form San Francisco to San Diego, My ML want some more ,but I got scared,next week I'm going up North and I'll try it again. 14,700 plus as of today
    MY2000...ML320.... have a nice week end..you all.:-))))