Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Just did 70 mph in our office parking lot :)
  • Options
    dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    yeah, i think i might have gone about 105MPH max. I think ML can definately go faster. But what are the Dunlops rated at ? they might burst !?

dt77
  • Options
    yeah. I'm signed up for next sun. @ hollywood park. So, it's basically you, test driving a bunch of cars ya ?

dt77
  • Options
    I saw a UNIT 13 special last nite on speed limiters that is why I was curious. I know the MBs are limited somewhere in the hundreds, but can't rem what.

This guy had a ford ranger and it was limited at 80mph. My roomie had a friend, his van was limited to 75mph.

dt77
  • Options
    pepe11pepe11 Member Posts: 41
    Thanks for the response. Yes, I did check the dip stick and the oil was right in the middle of the grid, where it belongs (I think). I haven't seen the hi oil light on since but I still worry that something is wrong. Any others experience this problem ("Hi Oil" light came on while I was driving and oil levels are fine)?

Pete
  • Options
    biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    I think the ML 430 and 320 has a H rated tire meaning it can handle up to 130mph and ML55 has a V or Z rated of course she is faster than ours :-)
  • Options
    kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    gpvs:
    Give Clair Parts a call and speak to Kevin or Mark. They've packaged up the deflector for folks on the m-class list before. It was $$$ though :-P

dt77:
    If the MB Powertrip is anything like the X5 one, it's a blast! Most fun you can have for free :-)
    Let us know what you get to do this year; it's supposed to cover more than the ML. I'm going to the Boston one; hope to see sshowitt there.
  • Options
    nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    Any links to the interior of the new 02 ml?
  • Options
    I called them up and they said there will be BMW, Lexus, Audi and of course MB. 1 guest is allowed...but so early in the morning ! hehe..9am.

I'll let you guys know how it is =)

dt77
  • Options
    kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    dt77:
    I signed up for the 9am one w/ my brother in Boston but it's only 15min away ;-)
    Make sure you squeal the Lexus' tires. Should be easy to do :-)
  • Options
    zfrankzfrank Member Posts: 6
    Recently took delivery on a 2001 ML 320. Was advised that use of 91 octane not necessary, and that 87 or 89 would work fine and cause no problems. Any comments, experience, recommendations?
  • Options
    my 00 430 manual says only use 91 and above.
    i will listen to it =)

dt77
  • Options
    rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Who advised you?

Robert
  • Options
    l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    Wow, now Jeeps and M-Class will share parts!

http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories/mbjeep507.htm

• Options
    cjgordoncjgordon Member Posts: 32
    Great new topic! The folks I talk to tell me to use 87 unless the valves start pinging (These aren't Mercedes dealers) My manual says 91 minimum. I'm very tempted to try 87 or 89. In many parts of the world (Eastern Europe especially), gasoline is dilluted to something below the "stated" octane. Some say that MB suggests 91 to compensate for this. In the U.S., octanes are strictly regulated and frequently audited. I'd love to hear other thoughts on this.

chris
  • Options
    I've got two significant rattles in my 99 ML320. One appears to come from the middle of the steering wheel....airbag perhaps? The other seems to come from the radio or somewhere near the center of the dash. They're driving me insane and quite embarrassing. Please provide me with any advice you may have. It is still under warranty. Thanks in advance.

chris
  • Options
    tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    As to gasoline quality in Europe, just for your information, 91/92 oktane is considered standard in Germany, a lower grade in not available. Premium grade gasoline ranges from 94 to 98 oktane - but you get what you pay for.

Tarik
  • Options
    I wouldn't want to see what happens if I use 87 or 89 and risk voiding warranty on an expensive car. I think it says that you can use a lower octane only for emergencies and then fill it right back with the higher octane when it's available. But, then again, that's just me.
  • Options
    sencsenc Member Posts: 44
    I have a '99 ML320 with NO rattles now. I would keep taking it back until they get it right if it's still under warranty.
  • Options
    kingscorpiankingscorpian Member Posts: 16
    New pictures of KINGSCORPIAN'S JAZZY RIDE

M3 Package Memory Feature for Power Front Seats

Power Front Seats

Privacy Glass

Bose Premium Audio System with Integrated 6-disc CD Changerose Premium

Power tilt/sliding tinted Sunroof

Mudflaps, Window Vent Visors

Front & Rear Grill Guard With Side Steps and Tail Light Guard

Stainless Steel Tail Pipe Tip

Hansfree Speaker Phone

Tweeters in front doors

Here is the link.Please copy & paste in your browser

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1432089&a=12827804&f=0

• Options
    Benson Mercedes (New Orleans)
    Service Department

Attn: Jody

Jody, please review history on my ML 320 (VIN: 4JGAB54E6XA134819). Are there any recalls on this vehicle? What maintenance/repair history do you have on it? I just purchased it from a couple in Houston. It has ~ 15, 500 miles on it. Other than the problems outlined below, it is flawless.

The center of the dash and the center of the steering wheel rattle so loud that it’s embarrassing to take my clients anywhere in it. The previous owners told me that experienced the same problem. The dealer in Houston apparently couldn’t identify the source, although he did pull the radio out to try to locate it. Hopefully your techs will be more successful.

Also, the clock in my instrument cluster is losing time. Please determine deficiency and take necessary corrective action.

The fuel gauge is inaccurate. Sometimes it show half tank after I put 17 gallons of fuel in it. Please determine source of deficiency and take necessary corrective action.

The brakes often squeal, although the pads have plenty of wear left on them. I believe the pads may be defective.

What loaner vehicles do you have available? Because of the aforementioned problems, I request a vehicle be similar in quality to the one you’re repairing. When I called earlier, you stated that Enterprise would be providing the loaner. My previous MB dealers in both Los Angeles and Philidelphia always provided me with a vehicle comparable to the one I was going to be without. I’m quite confident that your loaner will be similar.

Per our conversation, I will drop the vehicle off at 7:30 Friday morning.

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful consideration of my inconvenience.
  • Options
    ok, i just posted and lost it..hm..anyway

I too, just recently noticed this very subtle 'rattle' from the steering wheel region. Can't put my finger on it, but it's there sometimes. kinda sounds like plastic on plastic knocking whenever i'm going over rough terrain. not as annoying as you describe yours, but it's definately there =)

please tell us what transpires from your visit to the dearler..TIA ! and good luck

dt77
  • Options
    I also have noticed that my driver side front window at not working as well as it used to. It appears, the button for it is losing some sensitivity. [yes, plenty of drive thrus =)]

i'll have to lift the button harder than i would for the other windows....anyone else experience this ?

dt77
    http://fullspeed.to/ml
  • Options
    cdiccdic Member Posts: 36
    Funny the US manual says 91. You simply can't get 91 in the northeast except by filling half way with premium and then mid grade. Maybe some of the Sunoco stations carry it. We seem only to have 86, 89, 93 here. I have used both 89 and 93 and cannot tell the difference to save my life. Best I can tell there is no pinging with either. If there is a detriment to using 89, I imagine that it would develop over an extremely long time.

On the other hand, the car is so well built I am not sure I could hear the engine ping. Has anyone ever heard their MB ML V6 or V8 ping?

It maybe better to feed my ML the real good stuff in the long run, but right now I am sure you all feel the pinch of the greedy oil barons just like I do. That is another topic all together. Anyone know what is going on here? There seems to be these sequential jumps in price so that we get 'used' to one price before it goes up again. Maybe that way they avoid the shock and turmoil that would result by just charging us what they actually want all at once. Who is behind it and where is all that money going? Haven't they got enough already?
  • Options
    toddk1975toddk1975 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem on my 98 ML320. It will get worse and worse until the window no longer comes up, will go down no problem though. My advice get to the dealer as fast as you can. I had the dealer order the part for me in May of last year and as of Nov 30 the part was still on order. After so many darn valets driving the window down not knowing that it wouldn't come back up I finally had to have the dealership remove the switch all together. I got so frustrated with the problem I sold the car and ended up buying a new one.
  • Options
    thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    Lower octane gas means it is more explosive or more flamable, the ML having a high compression engine needs a higher octane gas, wich means is less flamable, if not the lower octane gas with the heat of the compression ignites (preignition) before time, (ping) in everyday language. That will cause valve damage and other problems, it forces the computer to change engines settings, which are not the optimal and finally the efficiency of the engine is lowered, so you pay less for the gas, but the MPG is lower, reducing the savings to about even with high octane but to the detriment of the engine.

The moral of the story is that by using cheaper gas there is no savings, the damage will show up later, after the warranty is gone, with all the good repercusions and less trade in value, those are going to be some expensive pennies.
  • Options
    The moral of the story is that by using cheaper gas there is no savings, the damage will show up later,...

What would be the consequence/damage to the engine from using lower octane fuel?

All modern power plants have sensors (one of them being the piezo electric knock sensor), which feed the ECU with enough information to apply certain measures if needed. Shouldn't retarding the timing take care of "pinging"? I do not believe that the ML's compression of 10.0:1 is high enough to completely render the engine management system useless in trying to prevent damage.

Just a thought...

Tarik
  • Options
    dietmikedietmike Member Posts: 7
    Not to my liking. You took a great SUV and put a bunch of junk on it. Looks silly as I'm sure most of the drivers around you think as well.
  • Options
    thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    Ten to one is already a high compression engine, it is not much an engine can do by itself to compensate for a deviation on the intended design, the ECU can control the timing and the amperage going to the injectors thus controlling the fuel flow, I am no Mercedes engine expert, but in the past I used to build engines for the track, and the principles are the same.

When the Mercedes engineers set to design the engine, the fuel is part of the design just like any other metal part. For efficiency, timing is of essence, the spark is set to fire at a few degrees before TDC, the combustion will take a few milli seconds to take place and should be at its apex at TDC, I imagine the ECU will retard the spark and dump more fuel to change the stochiometric ratio to keep the burn on time and cooler, valves and emission control devices will suffer.

If one considers the low emissions this engines emit for the high torque and hp, and the good milleage they get for that power and weight they lug around, they are remarkable pieces of engineering.
  • Options
    dr_suvdr_suv Member Posts: 12
    Nice looking truck. A little to much for my taste but to each his own and upgrading is one of the benefits of owning a truck. Did you get the tail-light covers, bumper guards painted ? Or did you buy them silver matching. I got an RX-300 and would like to get the tail-light covers but Manik only has them in black.
  • Options
    dhueydhuey Member Posts: 1
    Hi!

I am wondering if anyone has or knows of a great place to purchase the following accessories for a ML430:

1)Sunroof Deflector - this is the one that has an additional curve to it so that it covers the roof rails

2)Rear Wing/Deflector
  • Options
    Sunroof Deflector - I think you're referring to the skyview wind deflector which i asked a few posts ago. Anyway, Kenyee said that clairparts do have them at $$$. (go back 2 pages back)
  • Options
    kingscorpiankingscorpian Member Posts: 16
    They all were custon ordered directly from the factory
  • Options
    Anyone getting their oil changed at places other than MB dealer? Anyone doing it themselves? Are there any special tools/knowledge required? Or is it just like changing oil in any other vehicle? (Other than FSS issue) I used to get my oil changed in my BMW (Mobil 1 5W-30) at Wal-Mart, but they refused my ML320???
  • Options
    wedgebunnywedgebunny Member Posts: 14
    I feel your pain, I have been there, mine were so loud I could record them.

I have a 2001 and have experienced many rattles and squeaks that have all been fixed, (one was in the dealer show room, should have been a clue) thank goodness I have a reliable dealer. I too had noise from the center of the steering wheel. It was more of a buzz and some groaning going on. They replaced the entire housing unit just after the air bag, the area where the stalks and hazard buttons connect. That has cured the rattle and lessened the groaning.

As for the squeaks in the dash I had them all over the place. They eventually replaced all the insulation and re packed it, problem solved. It used to sound like two mice having a picnic in there.

Push your dealer hard, some of these MLs do rattle too much. Most SUVs do, but some of these rattles are unacceptable especially for an MB. The constant ones are unforgiving. If it really gets to you and the dealer won't help drive through the glass of their show room and claim insanity, heck, the rattles told you to do it.

Good luck
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

Don't miss the weekly MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! All MB fans/enthusists/owners/potential owners are welcome to participate. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to enter the chat at the times above. Note that the link to the chat is always near the top of this page, just under the discussion topic title:

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    Thanx for the feedback !
    I'll prob be visiting the dealer soon...
    let see.

1. cure steering wheel rattle
    2. window button
    3. calipers ... ?!?!

I'm still not sure how to approach my caliper problem. After Service A and tire rotation and all that. all my calipers were scratched....

dt77
  • Options
    The resulting damage you're suggesting would then be carbon build-up on the valves and possibly unburned remnants of the richer mixture getting into the catalytic converter - makes sense.

How about the ECU controlling the current flow to the solenoid valves? I was taught that the duration of opening determines the fuel/air (stochiometric) ratio for cylinder filling???

Anyways, engines should be operated with whatever fuel the manufacturer recommends, but if the impact of much lower quality fuel is so severe, why doesn't the manual explicitly prohibit such doing?

And - at least for European engines - compression ratios between 9.5:1 and 10.5:1 are rather the norm than the exception, but as I mentioned before, average octane ratings are much higher, too.

Wondering Tarik
  • Options
    Regarding self-performed or 3rd party (non-MB) oil changes.
  • Options
    macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    I am having sunroof rattle problems. It started with my 1998 ML320 and three dealers tried to fix it. After over 30+ days in the shop (cumulative), I got MB to buy my ML back and got a 2001. Sure enough, the same problem is there (although not quite as bad as the 1998) and they have now deemed it a "design flaw" after attempting to fix it on three separate visits. Felt added, realigned, new bellows, etc. etc.

The problem is that the rear part of the sunroof moves up and down ever so slightly; there is too much play in the roof. If you put your knuckles on the rear of the glass, at the two sides, and push up and let go, you hear a "clicking" sound. This same sound shows up when you ride on an uneven surface (90% of the roads in CA) or on a bumpy road. The problem seems to be worse in the morning when it is not as hot.

Has others had this problem? I sat in 5 other MLs at the dealer yesterday after they told me it was a design flaw, and they all had this movement, although I'm not sure that movement would translate into a clicking sound when driven.

I'd appreciate feedback on what was done by your dealer if you had problem and they fixed it. Specifically, what did they do?
  • Options
    I think to do the oil change yourself, you need a topsider or some oil suctioning device.

Try going to www.mercedesshop.com and check the DIY section. I think they have something there for oil change.
  • Options
    biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    It is not hard to do, I you don't, have a top sider..you can do it in a old way, crawl underneath and unplug the oil drain, you are gonna need a 13mm socket wrench open or close then get a bucket and rag and start draining and I'm expect that you already have your filter element from the dealer it cost around 14.00 including tax here in California anyway. good luck
    Jim
  • Options
    sencsenc Member Posts: 44
    I agree the roof is poorly designed. I have had c-class cars and absolutely no roof rattles, so I now know this is a problem with only the ML. Mine got alot worse when I decided to put a deflector on it and the wind would come over the deflector and hit the back of the glass at 65 mph and make it rattle. I took the deflector off and noise went away.... If you take the rubber things off each side of the inside of the roof, you can reach up and feel the rattling pins that the roof slides open and closed on when you hear the noise. These are the same pins that slide when the roof is raised open. I have researched it to death, and I told the dealer exactly where the noise comes from and they couldn't improve it. It's all in the design. I finally decided I preferred the wind noise to the rattles. Funny thing is, even with 44k miles now on my '99, this thing still runs and drives better than most vehicles I have driven. Read my previous posts if you need to eliminate your door latch rattles(use electrical tape and forget dealer service).
  • Options
    I called Jiffy Lube (New Orleans). They no longer service Mercedes. Manager said drain plugs strip too often (Perhaps the need for suction device???)

Any ideas on other places that may change it?
  • Options
    cticctic Member Posts: 291
    Any decent service station would change your oil, but I wouldn't use any other than the MB dealer.

Just did my FSS A. I had Mobil1 5-30W in at the 3000 mile mark. The dealer put in Mobil1 15-50W or 15-40W, the service guy didn't really know, but the engine seems to have a lot more punch with the heavier oil.
  • Options
    roger23roger23 Member Posts: 48
    Maybe it's luck, but I had a 1998 ML320, and now have a 2000 ML430, and I never had any rattles in either vehicle. I have also driven different ML loaners from my MB dealer and these had no rattles from their sunroofs. I would really question whether your sunroof rattle is "an inherent design flaw " as you were told, or the inability of your MB dealer to properly diagnose and fix your sunroof rattles.
  • Options
    rwharcharwharcha Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone know if a Presentation Guide book for M-Class is available only at dealership. Can it be ordered from MB ? TIA

Russ
  • Options
    drmhfdrmhf Member Posts: 29
    I had been using 89 octane gas as my dealer recommended. I accidentally filled the tank with 87 octane gas and noticed no difference. I'm going to use 89 next time, but I'm wondering if it is really necessary. Mark
  • Options
    kito2kito2 Member Posts: 4
    I am thinking of getting a ML and joining your ranks. I'm looking at a '99 430 and would appreciate any comments regarding good/bad features and things to look out for. Thanks.
  • Options
    achtungbabyachtungbaby Member Posts: 3
    I bought an ML320 yesterday in southern California (black on black, M1, dose, moon roof) for ~$50 under "invoice" ($37,398).

The negotiations were rather painless, so I'm wondering... has anyone else been able to get an ML320 under "invoice," and if so by how much?

My pet theory is that BMW is eating MBZ's lunch with the X5, therefore, the MBZ dealers are willing to really "deal" on the ML. Or perhaps, they are liquidating stock in anticipation of the '02 model.

Whatever.

I'm happy with my purchase price and just curious as to how cheap others have been able to get their cars for.