Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    MBzs in general have soft brake pads (and with a fair % of carbon in them, as specified by the German TUV), so it's not just limited to the M-class. 20K miles or less is not uncommon. The pads do wear faster, but this is at the expense of saving the rotors; softer pads have a tendency to squeak a lot less too. At my service A (which was at about 16K kilometres/10K miles, IIRC), my front pads had 60% left, and the rears had 65% left.

Obviously the rotors are a lot more expensive than the pads, so I'd rather have to replace the pads more frequently than the rotors. There are currently no aftermarket brake pads for the M-class, AFAIK, and even if there were, I'm not sure if I'd want to go for them.
  • macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    I had my 01 ML320 stock wheels chromed and they sent along with the wheels some chrome "caps" to put over the lug bolts. They don't fit. Anyone else have their actual bolts chromed or is there another alternative out there so that bolts will match the wheels?
    Yes, the picture of the inside cabin filter was quite an eye opener. I checked mine a few months ago and it was still okay, but I think I'll probably get it changed the next time around, especially with summer fast approaching and pollen galore.

For those of you who don't know what we're referring to, here's the page:

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/cabinairfilter.html

The MB cabin electrostatic air filter is US$18.50 according to Wolfgang.

Yes, there is an alternative. Louis (ometofu) posted a few pictures of his chromed lug nuts a while back. Here's the link to the pictures. I believe that he bought them from the MB dealership, but perhaps he could confirm this. Louis, are you out there?

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=851026&a=6872645&f=0
    Regarding your question about wiring the foglamps, are you referring to the integrated foglamps (with the headlamp cluster) or auxilary foglamps that are mounted on the brushguard? If it's the latter, were they from the MB dealer, or are you planning to go aftermarket?

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Correction, Louis bought them from Precision Auto. Check them out here:

http://www.precisionauto.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Wheels___Wheel_Accessories_45.html
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    I thought there was word that they were going to combine the ML and the G or make it an entire other class altogether? I really like the boxy look. I guess I"m just traditional when it come to that one. I do prefer the old 560SEL to the previous generation S-class.

I really like the slightly more boxy look, I guess it is the more executive look that I like. The Old 560SEL, the Current 7-Series, and the Towncar are nice. I guess what I like best is when you put these cars into a 4wheel drift while making a 90 degree turn.

Robert
    What phone is that you have up there? It looks like a GSM. What is your service provider. I'm about to get a GSM down here in Chicago through VoiceStream. I havent quite decieded yet. Anyone in Chicago have the Voicestream GSM phone? or another service provider? What are the other service providers out here?

I know that GSM is superior technology, I"m just worried about the coverage. Which is why I may go back to Verizon.

Robert
  • proteus456proteus456 Member Posts: 65
    Drivenow, every single thing you mentioned will be available on the 2002. Some, such as leather/wood/soft touch plastic, Xenons, and stereo are available now. All the others will be on the 2002 (Bose stereo goes from 6 speakers to 9).
    No, GSM is just the manufacturer of the faceplate. I know, it's confusing :-) It's a tri-mode CDMA (Telus) phone, the Nokia 6185. I actually also have a tri-mode TDMA (Cantel AT&T) Motorola StarTac 7797 phone. I find that in some spots around here, CDMA has much better reception than TDMA.

I don't think we have GSM here, but we do have PCS. I'd actually much prefer something with an analogue fallback since some areas of digital coverage may be spotty. This is the main reason why I didn't go with PCS. Funny thing is that the PCS provider here (Fido) piggybacks their signal with the Telus CDMA system, so the reception is pretty much the same for Fido and CDMA phones; same dead spots and all.

The soft touch vinyl on the dash was actually added for MY2000, so there will be no changes for '02 there. The wood is different for '02 though...no more Burl walnut. It will be the same type of wood (a bit redder in colour) as the C-class. The basic design of the dash will still be the same as it currently is.

As for the auto climate control system, it's still not dual zone in the sense that you can set different temperatures for the left and right side. You can adjust the fan speed and such seperately for the rear though.
    There will not be any changes to the keys for '02. The system is already the same as the other MB cars, except for the fact that it doesn't use an infrared system but still a mechanical key.

As for the C-class, don't forget that it is a lot smaller, and doesn't have 4WD. If you option out a full loaded C320 wagon (even without the 4-matic system - new for '03 - or Xenons) it will be more expensive than the ML320. Value-wise, the M-class still wins hands down.

Drew
    Host
  • megasuvownermegasuvowner Member Posts: 64
    Are the AMG phones more powerfull and are they available with side skirts and other AMG standards?

Just kidding

Sorry-Im bored
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    When you had your B service did you pay anything in additon to the free oil and filter change?

And for the center console thats bubbled is it covered by warranty?, because MY2000 Ml320 start showing the bubble on passenger side. Pls. response.
    Thanks,
    JimB
    Jim,

I just got my ML back from serivce yesterday 10,5K. They did the A service as well as service my brakes, and changed the centerconsole cover since like bargamon's it was bubbling. all for . . . FREE. I had a few other things done but the total on the bill was about $700 for everything. This is what I would have paid if the ML did not have the 4 years service.

Robert
    Don't you know, it has a super sensitive antenna for much better reception ;-)

Actually I hated that Motorola logo so I decided to cover it up with that sticker :-)
    As Robert said, yup, it's covered. Mine started seperating too, and they replaced it. I think the glue that they used didn't hold up too well to the summer heat. The replacement seems to be okay so far.

Drew
    Host
    The lug bolt covers shown in both links sent are the one's I have. However, MB must have changed the dimensions on my stock 2001 (not 2000) wheel bolts as the ones shown just fall off; there is nothing to keep them on. Any suggestions? When I spoke with the company that sold me the chrome wheels and covers, they said that these were the only covers for an ML. I'm guessing something must have changed since these don't fit. Any other ideas?
    I called my SA after I post my message but the SA that I always dealing with is on vacation. I just want to make sure if they are going to tell diffirent story..Thanks again.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    GSM is not the best tech. CDMA is, but Nokia et al. want to avoid the licensing fees. Their data speed rates w/ the DoCoMo system (GSM's 3G successor) have been horrible.
    You got the brake pads replaced for free??? That's not included in the free maintainence AFAIK...
    The lug bolt covers shown in both links sent are the one's I have. However, MB must have changed the dimensions on my stock 2001 (not 2000) wheel bolts as the ones shown just fall off; there is nothing to keep them on. Any suggestions? When I spoke with the company that sold me the chrome wheels and covers, they said that these were the only covers for an ML. I'm guessing something must have changed since these don't fit. Any other ideas?
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    You know, I nearly forgot to close my sunroof the other day right before the rain started. My question is why can't they have an auto close sunroof? I had an aftermarket (ASC) sunroof in my 4runner before and that was great. You can override the auto close feature if you want to. I'm sure it's not that hard to do and not that expensive either considering the ASC was just around $800, but is there a reason why they don't do it like that?
    I was going from what my sisters husband was sying(Motorlola Engineer - works on the Cellular infrastructure, so if the cell sites go down we can all blame him). He was saying that GSM was superior technology to CDMA, I guess till they move to wCDMA, then I think that there is one more that is even broader. whCDMA or something. I was also thinking along the lines that when I go to Germany and the PI I could use my phone.

They told me that the brake pads were OK, but they took off the rotors, wheels and brakes, cleaned them. That was about $400 of the $700 service. The rest was the service and the little stuff.

Oh, I'll look some stuff on that G-wagen for you , havnet got a chance.

Robert
  • doiedoie Member Posts: 1
    REMINDER(S) THIS WEEKEND TECH/TIPS

1. Check the air pressure on your spare tire.
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    I have a '97 C230 and am interested in purchasing the MB (CD-based) service manual. Any opinion on the usefulness of the manuals? I am not interested in doing anything heavy duty work. It'll be just the basic maintenance stuffs like oil change and brake pads, and to gain better mechanical knowledge of the car. Thanks in advance.

Mike

P.S. If anyone have the manuals and they wants to sell them, pls let me know. Thx : )
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    Oil was changed, filters, new wipers, all that is listed in manual in the b service. Loaner was privided, and my ML was ready and waiting all washed and vacumed inside. Arm rest is not bubbly, smooth as a ................

No charge for the service. I would not say it was free, cuz we all know nuttin like that is free, but all inclusive with price of car.

Robert, $700 for a couple of things?? Must be hard for a college student to keep a fleet of MBs on the road these days. How's Dad enjoying his clk55? Great car!
    Hey, we made the top 10 discussion topics list again! Been a while since that has happened. :-)

Drew
    Host
    Have a nice Memorial Day to all of you, and check your ML before you go out of town.
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    I can't read .pdf. Can someone explain how the filter can be changed?
    After the brake and rotor removal /fix, there was the regular service, armrest, hatch handle, rear emblem, and a couple other things, but I'm guessing that it was mostly labor that was charged. FYI, I didn't pay a penny of that $700, all warrantied.

I'm out of college now (2nd year out), working...ugh...

My father is enjoying the CLK. I'll be back there in July to play with it somemore, take it out on Rt15. We are changing our S500, I'm not sure what is going to do next, he always tries to surpries me... maybe I'll have something new to report when I get back

Robert
    ctic,
    check the site www.mercedesshop.com and click the Do it Yourself change oil Part 2 and you will have an idea how to take and install the filter..
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    The current issue of Today's SUV magazine features an ML430 being hooked up for an entertainment system. They were using the front headrests for installing the small monitors and i think they're also utilizing the glove box for something. I just happen to have a quick glance at it over my lunch break.
  • sydney6sydney6 Member Posts: 64
    I just had Service B done (at Hohen). The front pads were replaced, plus I had them rotate the tires. I paid about $300 for those two things.

In addition, they replaced the steering wheel because there was something sticky (like glue) coming through the leather wheel, and they replaced (for the 2nd time) the arm rest from bubbling. Lastly, they replaced the black decals on the B pillars because of peeling. They must get a lot of complaints about that, because each time I bring it in for service the SA always checks them whether I ask or not, and they almost always replace them.
    I can't believe the level you guys and gals are doing on this site. When I got my E-430, I went over there to that post and keep my time down from ole edmunds, usually 5-8 posts daily. Lots of old names here. I started about 14 months ago when I shopped and eventually got my ML320. I take breaks here because of the pace!

speaking of brakes, what kind of miles are you people getting till replacement on original pads.

Stanly of maitland, you still out there??

Drew, nice phone! I have seen your cars, driveway, neigborhood, where you take your car, the inside of your car, the outside, detailed closeups of your mud flaps, pictures of crashed vehicles, pictures of red ML55 driven by a lady you stalked, pictures of the red paint you applied to your brake housing, pictures of the products you use to clean your car, pictures of the decal that fell of your motorola phone, but Drew, will we ever see a picture of YOU???????
    Grab a free copy of Adobe Acrobat and to read the PDF file.

Basically it's the panel in the front passenger footwell, where the aux. 12 volt outlet is located. You'll see two screws holding the plastic piece there. Unscrew those and then you'll see the black blower unit. There is a pop-out cover that you can remove on the right side (IIRC) and the filter simply slides out. I removed mine a while ago to knock out some of the dust. I'll replace it soon. You really should have a look at the PDF file (from Bosch) since it is illustrated and has more details.

Good luck!
    I might have an explanation for this. I just remembered that MB did change the lugs from the silver coloured variety to the black ones since some people had problems with the former ones rusting. I assume that since you have a '01, you have these black lugs (the late production '00s also had the black lugs, IIRC). Perhaps MB changed the sizes slightly too? I noticed that Louis has the same lugs that I do (the silver ones).

Actually up to the this point, I didn't even realise that those chrome pieces were only covers for the lugs. All this time I thought that they were replacements.

Drew
    Host

I thought you are talking about the oil filter thats why I gave you the mercedes shop site. well for those of you who wants to know how and what to do to change oil..its there.
    Are those bicycle(foot) pump really works for the big tires?
    I have had any problems with this setup, and I personally find that it's much better than those foot pumps since the hand pump's cylinder has more volume and you don't have to pump it as many times.

This particular pump that I have has a 100 psi capacity. Since the tires themselves max out at 45 psi (at least, that's the max. cold tire pressure that Dunlop specifies; I fill mine to 31 psi), so it's not an issue at all.

I finally get a hold of my SA at MB San Diego and soon as I mentioned the center console problem He said he will order it and I have an appointment next Friday. MB need to increase some QA on these simple thing.

Sidney, Did you have your wiper"refill" replace? How about your pollen Filter inside the car the one below the glove box. I'm just curious because mine is getting close to B service.
    My brake calipers are painted black (from the factory). No red paint here :-).

Let's just say that us hosts prefer to remain faceless and anonymous to a certain degree. ;-) However, on the same token, will we see a picture of you?

BTW, just got an E-class phone faceplate. Pictures later, probably in the E-class topic. I think you'll
    like it too.
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    You missed it. About 6000 posts back Drew posted a picture of himself (and Dad?) driving an E. Go back, it still might be there. Also, on one of the pictures he took, there is a very good reflection of himself holding the camera on a chrome piece, but of course it's a reverse image.

Drew: Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at the filter.
  • sydney6sydney6 Member Posts: 64
    I don't know. They did replace the whole wiper/washer fluid reservoir because they noticed it was leaking. I don't know about the filter...is it part of FSS B?
    I'm not sure either, I'm just concern, did you see the picture of dirty filter that was posted a few days ago..its yukkie, with out that filter where those dust going... to our lungs. If its not covered I'll have to change it myself.
  • ck53ck53 Member Posts: 4
    Drew: I want to fit foglamps to the brushguard and am prepared to use MB or aftermarket. How difficult is it to wire up the lamps to the switch already installed in the vehicle(2001 ML320). Does anybody have information on wiring auxilary foglamps?

Thanks
  • drivenowdrivenow Member Posts: 45
    I just came back from my local MB dealer, where I put $500 down on a 2002 ML 500. I wanted to specify exact options (order codes...) however my dealer "checked the computer, and MBUSA has not yet released the codes... and exact options/colors/specs cannot yet be entered into the system." So, thus far, I have a generic handwritten invoice specifying "Onion Blue, 2002 ML 500, Sport Pkg, K2a Phone, Xenon," - OOPS, forgot the sunroof and M3 pkg. The problem is, without the exact list of possible ordering codes, I'm lost... Will any of these options be standard, what new options or colors will be available, WHEN will I be able to see 2002 ordering info, WILL the dealer merely enter the order as handwritten today?, do I continue to be a pest and check back daily, weekly, monthly to see when the "system" will take the order... I want an early production vehicle. Can anyone make any suggestions about how I can make sure I will get the specific options that I want? Thanks, I find this site and all of your advice very helpful, and you all are infinitely more knowledgeable than my local MB dealers.
    ck53,
    They are very easy,just like 1,2,3 job. and instruction is come with the light.

For kenyee...check this out :-)))

Is this true?

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010525/ts/autos_cities_dc_1.html

• farkafrafarkafra Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 ML320 with 10K miles. It has had a vibration or shaking problem since day one. It gets worse as the day heats up and as the roadway gets worse. It doesn't change with speed. The whole vehicle shakes. You can see it in the visors, the front passenger seat and the steering wheel. It is so bad you can't rest your head on the headrests, it feels like some one is kicking the back of the seat. The dealer (Fletcher Jones) at first tried to fix it. They balanced the tires, then replaced the front tires because they couldn't balance one on them. This worked for about 5 miles and then the vibration was back. Last time they replaced the rear left strut and linkages to fix a clunking that came when I drove into a driveway. This helped with the vibration for about 1K miles. Now it's back. The dealer now says it drives normally. I have driven new ones, loaners and friends and none do this. They refuse to fix it. Any body have anything like this?
    Take it to another dealer.

Also contact regional representitive. I think others here will be more helpful to your cause.

Could motor mounts be bad?? Bad tires???

Good luck and let us know how your experience pans out. Others will help you im sure (Drew?) and you in turn will pass on valuable info.

Good luck!

Drew: I have yet to post a picture. But no offense intended. I am always blown away by your willingness to share and are so helpful to many. With so many pictures posted, and details given, I feel I know you, but not visually. Just a comment in passing!
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    drivenow:
    Stop by www.keysolutions.com/M-Class for more info on 2002 info (search for MY2002).
    Also check out the m-class archives at escribe (www.escribe.com and search for m-class, then MY2002). Tarik put up some pkg info. Don't think it had order codes though.

biker5:
    Boston drivers are indeed very annoying. Their definition of a "safety gap" between cars is "so no one can safely cut in". Drives me nuts since I get cut off like crazy because I leave a real safety gap.
    And F means something else besides the grade....flipping people off.
    However, they are no where near what drivers in Euro/Asians countries drive like...a visit to Paris, Rome, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong will make you believe Boston drivers drive like angels. The common denominator seems to be big city dwellers. They're almost always bad :-)