Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• pooliopoolio Member Posts: 18
    Had a simular problem,Found out it was the tires.My ml came with Generals tires,had them rebalanced and rotated still had the vibration.Dealer put grandtrek-dunlops on the car and it elimited the problem.Maybe its the tires.
    Good luck
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    Any order prior to the official MB release of appropriate codes and pricing is basically only an order from the dealer you placed it with. In-other-words they have not placed an order with Mercedes and are waiting to get the info.

What you are doing is getting on the first allocation for that dealer so you get first delivery. This is provided all the options you want are going to be available in the first allotment. Some options debut later.. such as Parktronic. I have not heard of the Sports Package for 2002 (the new bumpers really reduce the need for this other than the fender flares which are not part of the new facelift).

They want your business so they're not going to tell you to wait and come back in a few weeks. When they do get the official info. you will probably get a call and an explanation of options and pricing.. then the order will be entered into the official MB system.
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    i wired up fogs which i ddin't buy from MB. was kind of a pain. I used the existing aux fog wire from under the hood and connected it to a relay. THis relay is used to turn on /off the lamps. THe fogs draw power from the ml's battery.

dt77

http://fullspeed.to/ml

• sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    Anyone on this board with a ML 55 at Nunan's Lobster Shack in Kennebunkport, ME on Friday?
    BTW, lobster prices are way up this year!!!!!!
    Yes, I actually met former President Bush and his wife in town at a dedication of a park bench. He and Barbara (4 strands of pearls) posed with my wife for pictures. They were very cordial.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    i've had such good luck with these that i replaced them withthe same. cost 65$ each installed, can't beat them. maybe the problem above was an "out of round tire" in which a belt breaks and as the speed increases the tire diameter changes and allows an imbalance. had this happen on a front right perelli, changed tire no more problems. I wonder when we will get more info on future ML for o2, when do car mags start showing new for 02?
  • proteus456proteus456 Member Posts: 65
    Does anyone know if I'll be able to get the Xenons on a 2002 ML320 without the sport package? The sport package seems like the "designo" stuff...pretty much a very expensive way to gussy up your ML, appearance only.
    Also, will the 2002 come out at MSRP, or will I be able to deal..trying to determine if I should pick up a 2001 model at invoice, or pay a few k more for 2002 at close to MSRP. I REALLY like that rear climate control..:-)
    Thx
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Yes, you can get Xenons as a separate option.
    The order is locked down 1 month before the build date, so you'll get a call from your salesman to finalize your options at roughly that time...
  • gereldgereld Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone taken the factory delivery option for the M-Class? Does anyone know approximately when dealers will begin taking orders for the 2002 models?

Thanks,
    Gregg
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    For those of you wondering how the '02 ML looks like, there is an official picture of the front from the MB Germany dealer's option guide that shows the new headlamps + front bumper with foglamps, and the new wheels (I don't like them).

http://www.mercedes-benz.de/mbd/pdf/M-163.pdf

Also, this picture from the back is probably about 90% accurate of the real thing

http://216.122.199.143/uploads/pics/ML%202002%20rear.jpg

Hope this helps for those of you trying to decide between the '01 and '02.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I think it looks handsome, in a 2001 sort of way. I don't own one so I am not intimate with it's looks, but I really don't see too big a difference (the bumpers?).

If I had been holding my breath waiting for the 2002, I would be disappointed. Of course, there's always 2006, right?
  • paulhsupaulhsu Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking to buy a 2001 ML-320 before this summer. I read a message before we can get invoice price or even better. If somebody know some good dealer in SF Bay area or nearby please help. And does all ML-320 come with Bose Audio CD Changers? I hope later MP3 holding 100+ songs can replace 6 CD changer.
    Any information and comments are helpful. thanks
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    I agree that if you're more of a casual observer and don't own an M-class, it's hard to pin down the visual changes in the 2002. Nevertheless, the bumpers and the integrated foglights are a definite improvement. MB didn't advertise the 2002 changes as a major aesthetic redesign.

Totally subjective, but I agree with Drew, I don't know if the wheels "look right" for the vehicle. They look more like something you'd see on a curvy GT sedan, or something of that ilk.

On the other hand, a lot of the 2002 changes are under the skin.
  • roger23roger23 Member Posts: 48
    I have read a couple of posts on this board mentioning the availability of this option on MY2002 ML's, which supposed to provide voice activation/controls for the MCS ie telephone radio CD etc. However, I just ordered a 2002 ML500, and my MB dealer has not mentioned the availability of this option. Is it in fact available? Is it a factory ordered option or dealer installed? Any insight would be appreciated.
  • acraftonacrafton Member Posts: 99
    Hi. Taking my 2000 ML320 in for its A service and called two dealers to schedule - asked what oil they will use - here are the answers:

Dealer 1 - Castrol 5W50 (said castrol gave a better deal than Mobil1)

Dealer 2 - Mobil 1 10W30

Located in Northern Virginia and confused as to why they are using two different oils and which I should use - does it matter? First oil change was at dealer (out of cycle) with Mobil 1 10W30. Thoughts and answers appreciated!

Adam
  • ran111ran111 Member Posts: 9
    According to the letter sent to MB owners regarding service on FSS vehicles, Castrol was one of recommended brands of synthetic oil, along with Shell, Mobil1 and Valvoline. With regard to preferred viscosities (5w-50 vs 10w-30), I would think it is more a matter of personal preference as long as the viscosities fall within the guidelines specified in the MB owners manual.
  • mlx52mlx52 Member Posts: 72
    From what I have heard the Linguatronic system will be a dealer installed option. Much like the K2 and K2a packages that Mercedes offers for its other models. Your dealer may not know about it, because it is not mentioned on the order sheets as of yet. You may want to take a look at www.mbusi.com and search for 2002. Somewhere on there you will find the script for the owners video, which also includes a list of options and accessories.

Hope this helps
    Jamie
  • rajalingarajalinga Member Posts: 9
    As Jamie said, it is a dealer-installed option. I'm not sure if it will be available immediately, but it will be available. BTW, are you planning on selling your ML430 or keeping it? The GPS in your current ML should be compatible with the '02's MCS so you can get them to swap it out.
    Long time no see! Welcome back...I hope your ML430 Sport is doing well. Hope to see you participating more again :-)

Drew
    Host
    Hi Guys,It has been a long time since I wrote to anyone, 6 months I think. Hope all is well
    Been very busy fussing over both my babies, my baby daughter and my sport 430. Of the latter,it has been a pleasure to drive,great handling and great sense of security while driving under wet conditions !!. The problems to date were 1) glue in the passenger side window and 2) my left window motor switch died with my window down !!. The latter bugged me, was cursing BB all the way to the dealer but calmed down when it was fixed and went back to enjoying the ride. No rattles or leaks. It has 4200 miles on it. Star's service was good, no complaints. The only extras I got were what drew recommended, rubber mats and the cargo tray, happy with both. Overall, I am very happy with my truck. yes, I wish those pbms did not occur but when I am glad that I got a BB esp.when I take a ride in the jeeps and the Montero's Just thought you guys maybe interested in the 6 month progress report.
    It is MB, not a BB. sorry,still getting used to the new look. Thanks drew, good to hear from you
    raj.
  • cavman2xcavman2x Member Posts: 26
    I've seen it mentioned nere by a few posters regarding poor radio reception, here is my problem. I live in northern NJ,01 ML320, and have noticed a very bad radio modulation problem. The treble seems to flatten out at any time even when standing still. I have the Bose+CD+6 changer. The problem occurs on any station and does not happen when using the CD. Any experiences/fixes would be appreciated. TIA, G
  • haunruhhaunruh Member Posts: 14
    Adam, my dealer uses Quaker State 15W40 ... I'm in Vancouver, Canada. So, it really depends on the area you're in and the whims of your dealer. There does not appear to be any set standard weight or grade.

Cheers, Harry
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Took my ML to the dealership for the scheduled A maintenance this morning. I was told by the SA that the tire rotation is part of the sked A. I had him fix some of the minor squeaks i've experience during the cooler temps. They had a Budget Rental on premises but where giving out MB loaners. I think they're giving similar cars to the ones you take in. Some of the guys got the C-class and another guy got the SLK, and I got another ML. Not bad. Hope that they'll be able to take care of all the problems.
  • macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    Can you let us know what kind of squeaks you are having looked at and what type of fixes they come up with? I'm on my second ML320, first 1998, now 2001 and am still having trouble with a squeaky sunroof. My last visit to the dealer was that they concluded it was a design defect as we checked out other 2001's on the lot and the same clicking noise occurred when you go over bumps. If you can push up on the rear of the sunroof and you have a little movement, this translates into a clicking noise every time you go over a bump.

Would be interested if others have had this problem, what was done to correct, or am I just so anal that I'm hearing everything?
    i had the front right dash squeaks. That's the only squeaks i have so far. Fortunately, didn't have the sunroof squeaks. Although my loaner has the dreaded sunroof squeak.

They just called me and said that the car's ready. They said that the squeaks were not found since it's not cold here. It only happens on colder weather. so, i guess i have to bring it back this fall. They did schedule A and he rotated and balanced the tires. Replaced wiper blades (front). I'll post anything else they have done once I pick it up later.
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    Hello,

Trying to figure out how flexible the third row seating arrangement is -- is it possible and safe to only use a half of the third row seats for seating while the other half is removed from the vehicle? Thanks in advance.

Mike
  • roger23roger23 Member Posts: 48
    Drew, when my ML500 gets in, I will be selling my 2000 ML430. As for swapping the GPS, if it doesn't make any significant difference in my trade in or resale price, then I will. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    I must be missing something. Why would you swap out the GPS from your ml430 and put it in the 500? Is GPS an option now (standard on my '00 430)? Or, is there something in the MCS that you currently have that you're not ordering on the new truck....
    Roger is in Canada, and over here, GPS is only standard equipment on the ML55AMG. It's optional for the ML320 and ML430.
  • rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    I use mine that way often. Either with half folded down or folded up or completely removed. Suits me fine!
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    Thanks Drew. Roger's flag doesn't appear, and I didn't look very closely.
    just another question, does the 3rd row seats have armrest on both seats? Thanks.
  • rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    No - no armrests on my 2000 ML320 3rd seats. Not even a cupholder! But I am still glad I have them. My 7 yr old loves it!
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Paul, they don't deal in the Bay Area like they do in some other regions. Too many people willing to drop their wallets to the dealers.
  • c_j_gordonc_j_gordon Member Posts: 19
    (from Germany)....can be purchased at www.mercedesshop.com for front axle only. I just bought 4 sets...should last several months. Any idea on how to replace them? Just like any other disc brakes?
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    The local MB dealer has a 2000 ML320 with 19K miles for $34,900. I looked inside (dealer wasn't open at the time) and noticed the ceiling was different. Then I realized the car has a skyroof in it and the big wind deflector that comes with.
    Does anyone have any experience with this option? Is is too buffeting to drive at any speed with the roof open? Do all those panels joints tend to leak?
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    signed in and could not get on chat. Welcome to our chat room is what is posted
  • ck53ck53 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know how the rain sensitive wipers work? Where is the sensor? In the windshield or in the wipers?

Just curious.
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    That's exactly what I'm planning to do. To do it myself. I'm pretty sure you check the do it yourself section of Mercedes shop about brake pad change. Its look pretty easy, with a little diffirence from the ML brake it didn't mention about using a T-40 torx bit to remove the caliper.As of now I'm still looking for a brake pad. How much did you pay fo 4 set plus shipping and handling? I check it the other day but the S&H is not showing. How much they did charge you?
  • nikorrnikorr Member Posts: 23
    The sensor is located in rear view mirror [ on right side of the mirror ]. Works well,but "" on stand by "" , I mean when is not much rain it whipes more than I like it :[))
    No, that's not the rain sense wiper sensor. That sensor on the back of the inside rearview mirror measures the amount of light outside and adjusts the auto dimming interior and exterior mirrors as necessary. There is another photocell on the upper right hand corner of the front side of the interior rearview mirror.

The rear sense wiper sensor is located in the box where the interior rearview mirror mounts to the windshield. If you look at the outside of the windshield, you'll see a blue/purple coloured object. That's the infrared rain sensor.
    Here's a picture that Ken took:

I've seen a couple of MLs around my area sporting this Euro-spec rear deflector. I'm not sure where these people are buying it from since the MB dealership doesn't seem to carry it, but in any case, I finally managed to get a few shots of it while driving around in my neighbourhood after my tire rotation on the weekend (more on that later). I don't really like how it looks though. Too boxy, and that huge cutout in the middle (which is for the raked European cellphone antenna) is rather ugly and non-functional for N.American-spec GPS/Cell antennas.

In order to get your Canadian flag to appear, simply click on "preferences" at the top of this page, and set it to Canada. A Canadian flag should appear next to your username the next time you post.
    I hope that we will get to see pictures of your ML430 Sport someday :-) Regarding the spell checker, let's just say that I wouldn't use it!
    A few pictures of the 3rd row seats. It's really quite flexible, as you can see, and unlike many other SUVs out there with 7 passenger seating, the seats can be removed to reduce weight when not needed (not that they're that heavy anyway). Each seating position also has full-sized head restraints, and 3 point seatbelts with pretensioners and force limiters at all outboard seating positions front and rear. The M-class is the only SUV on the market with rear seatbelt pretensioners/force limiters. In fact, MB is the only manufacturer, AFAIK, that has pretensioners/force limiters for the rear occupants as well for all of their vehicles (with rear seats, of course).

The entire 40% section of the 2nd row seat tilts and tumbles forward for easy access to the 3rd row.

Please note that there are child seat tethers behind the 3rd row as well.

Drew
    Host

Well, after taking my ML back from the dealer, I noticed that there's a little bit of vibration on high speeds that I can feel from the steering wheel. They did rotate and balance the tires. I'll check the tire pressure later on today, does that contribute to the shaking? I was thinking that maybe the balancing was the culprit. It only shakes when I go at high speeds (approx 75 to 80) It's not really bad, maybe I'm just paranoid. Any ideas? Besides that, they did a good job, IMO. They used Castrol instead of Mobil1.
    Thanks much for both of your insightful inputs (and pix).

I am leaning towards getting 3rd row seats for the '02 ML that I am purchasing. We are a family of four (myself, the significant other and our 14 and 4 year old sons). Normally, we wouldn't need the third row seats but it sure would be nice when my parents need to ride with us. We have a '99 Honda Ody where seating and interior space is abundance. We are selling that so having the 3rd row seats in the ML will (kinda) ease that transition.

Besides, I think having the 3rd row seats will improve the value and make the ML more sellable down the line. ANYBODY HAVE OPINIONS ON THIS? (Not shouting, just don't know a better way of highlighting : )

Mike
    Yes, i think having the 3rd row will improve the value down the road when you sell it. I wish I had taken that option when I got mine last year. You can always store it when not in use and just use it for those times that your parents are visiting. Although, your 14 yr old might not be able to sit there for extended periods.