Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• lockheedlockheed Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone still have the instructions for activating this
  • applehubbyapplehubby Member Posts: 5
    We are planning to buy a ML with
    Sport package (M6), Bose,
    Luxury Package (M1), Convenicen package (M2)
    heated from seats, 3rd leather row.(M7)
    and power sunroof.

Invoice comes into: $43,417.
    Reading thousands previous post, and found out sb paid $600 over invoice price.
    Any better deal rather than $600 over invoice? I don't know if I offer $200 over invoice and
    dealer will take it.
    Comments are welcome!
  • alik61alik61 Member Posts: 2
    My 1999 ML320 looks like a big LEMON from guys of MB. This is the second time for the last six month that it just died in the middle of the highway, putting my family and myself in real danger. The first time fuel pump and third time fuel tank has been replaced. Now it's at Morristown. MB for a whole week and is still their. They try to find out what is wrong with it.
    The second thing is loaned cars, that MB is giving to drive while your car is in their shop for any reason. If you hope it's a MB, you are wrong. I've been given Dodge, Chrysler, Toyta automobiles not a MB. As far as I know they are the only luxury car manufacture that do not respect their own brand or just cheep, cheep, cheep. I am not a proud owner of two MB cars 1999 C230 and 1999 ML320. I've got my lesson. I'll never buy any MB product and try to convince everyone I know to do the same. MB not only make not reliable, but dangerous to be on the road cars.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Last month there was a $1500 dealer incentive, and your margin would have been a great deal-for the dealer. Maybe someone here knows if it's been carried into July, my current issue of "CarDeals" doesn't show it.
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    Hi,Alik
    I had the same problem on MY2000 ML320 for the fast two months my ML died in the Highway while I'm driving in the the legal speed. I agree with you 100% that this is a safety issue. My ML problem was the fuel hoses came off from the fuel pump..in short no fuel got in to the engine, so it died in the highway. It was scary when you saw all your warning light came on while you are cruising and the engine has no response. What the dealer did was they replaced my fuel pump and fuel sending unit. I just don't know how long this will last. Sometimes I am too scared to drive it in the highway especially when my family is with me.I am due for another long driving next month...I just crossing my finger that the problem will not come back anymore.
    Did you contact the Client assistance service and complaint about it? That's what I did, and their response was "Take it to the dealer and have it check...They are not so professional to adapt this particular question. E-mail me if you want to talk more.Just click my "Alias"
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    I think for the loaner cars, those are dealer dependent. I've taken mine to a dealer in MD and they provide ML loaners through Budget rentals. I have also taken it to another dealership in VA and they use Enterprise and provide non-MB vehicles.
    I am mounting a Yakima bike rack and was wondering if there's a lot of wind noise from the bars or the rack without using the fairings? TIA
  • blackjavablackjava Member Posts: 9
    Good question! If you have the round crossbars there is absolutely a lot of wind noise and you will want to get the fairing. I bought the smaller one for about $40 and mounted it just behind the sunroof, and it make a huge difference. The one problem is that the fairing is about 1/2 inch too long on either side to fit in between the rails so I used s Dremel tool to trim it to size. It makes a big difference in the look, though ... makes it look rather sporty I think.
  • blackjavablackjava Member Posts: 9
    I've been disappointed with the fuel pump going out 3 times on mine. It IS a safety issue, I agree, because one time it happened on the interstate and the vehicle just instantly lost all power and power assist for the steering and brakes. However, I have been very happy with my local dealer's attempts to fix it. Each time they had it repaired the same day. Also, the first time it went out during a vacation and MB reimbursed me 100% for over $800 of expenses and flat-bedded it to my local dealer 250 miles away! I also love the way it looks and am very happy with the way it drives. The only other SUV I'd consider would be the Acura MDX.
    Thanks, blackjava.

I was curious why you installed the fairings behind the sunroof and not infront? Did the rack interfere with the sunroof tilting? Was there more noise with the fairings in front of the sunroof as oppose to behind it?
    IMO, Don't do it, because I installed one before but I returned it the following day after I drove it on the highway its gives tremendous amount of wind noise. If I was you stick to the hitch type bike rack it cost a little bit more but the convinience to use is paid off. Also to put the bike on the roof Oh boy you gonna need a stool everytime, especially with our size I am 5'8" and still having a hardtime reaching the roof.Anyway its your call, wherever you are happy go for it.
    I'm now leaning more on spending extra for the hitch and hitch type racks. When you installed yours, did you install the fairings? I know what you mean about height of the vehicle, i don't have the side bars, so even cleaning it is a problem, I'm a little bit over 6' but i still open the doors to clean the top. On my old truck before, i had the side bars, so i was able to reach the racks without much of a problem.

Thanks again for your input guys.
  • khoonkhoon Member Posts: 85
    Folks, I love my '99 ML320. Recently, the road noise from cheap General tires has increased significantly. Beginning at about 38-40 mph, the road goes up as the speed increases. The local dealer first identified the brakes as the culprit and changed them (on my dime) When that didn't fix the problem they fingered the tires. I have about 26K miles on the truck, and the tires have significant tread on the them. MB and the dealer are asking me to duel it out with General on my own.

I was wondering if others have experienced similar problems. Any suggestions on a course of action? And, any recommendations on replacement tires?
  • shorelineshoreline Member Posts: 10
    Read messages #3605 and forward on ML 320 price discussions.
    As of now I don't have any complaint on my General tire with 19K + miles on them and of course it depends on what type of road you are riding on I heard the road noise once in a while especially on asphalt with gravel. My suggestion go for Michilin Cross Terrain but the price is pretty high $158.00 ea at Cosco, compare to the OEM General at $68.00 ea. Its your choice.
  • rjlimrjlim Member Posts: 30
    gpvs, you're over 6 feet? You must not be a Filipino. HE HE HE. What mix are you? Do you have a Spanish blood? Just thinking, 'coz I'm the same as biker5, 5'8", and I'm 50/50 Spanish/Chinese. Just wondering.
    Not a whole lot taller that 6, just about 6'. I'm mix chinese, too.
    My wife's driving the ML today and she just called me and said that those lights are on. It was working fine last night. Do you guys have any ideas what could've caused it?
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    I'm 5' 11"
    Mix: Chinese,Spanish, and 50% Filipino.

Robert
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I had that happen to me a few weeks ago. After shutting off the engine when I reached my destination, and then restarting it, the idiot light went off. Nothing seemed to be amiss, but I booked a service appointment anyway. Turns out that it was just a small glitch with the stop lamp switch (all of the brake lights still worked though). Problem solved.

BTW, I'm 100% Chinese, 5'9", born in Singapore ;-)
    Thanks. I'll ask her to see if the lights went off after turning the car off and then on. I'll have to book another appointment then.

Did they have to replace anything?
    Yes, according to my work order, they just performed the Star diagnostic to check for the codes (nearly everytime an idiot light illuminates and stays on, and error code is recorded in the computer, even after the light goes off at the next restart), determined that it was the stop lamp switch, replaced it, and then deleted the code. All under warranty of course. Looks like it only took the technician only about an hour or so to do everything.
    So, does that mean that a stop light bulb is out or was it actually the switch? Is this something i can do without taking it in?

Shei shei, ni.
    It was the "stop lamp switch" according to the work order. It was definitely not the bulbs since I checked it all just to make sure that everything was functional. As I mentioned, it was not a failure, but just a glitch. If it was a total failure, the light would've illuminated continuously. I can't say with 100% certainty that this is also your ML's issue, but it is definitely a possibility. In my case, the idiot light didn't re-illuminate for the two weeks between when I scheduled my appointment, and when it first came on.

Bu ke chi :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I guess it's time for another visit for service. Wife just verified that the lights indeed went off after she turned the car off and on. So, it could be the same issue as yours.

Thanks again.
    I had that problem when my ML reached a little over 7k miles of course I took it to the dealer and they replaced some kind a switch on the brake, it did'nt say if that is the same brake switch that Drew was mentioned. Since then the BAS/ESP never comes on. And Yes, the light will stay off for a while when you turn off your engine then it will came back on after a few miles. Best bet have the dealer change that switch.

BTW. I am pure blooded Filipino. Have a nice day and keep S(ML)ng (got from Jüri at MBNZ.org)..Thanks Jüri..
    JimB
  • rjlimrjlim Member Posts: 30
    Is your Mom the Filipino or your Dad?
    I have already called my SA to schedule a visit but he has not returned my call yet. Thanks for all the help. Maraming salamat.

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Thanks Shoreline,
    today, I've called dealer again and discussed with him about incentive. He said he can do $5000 below MSRP, which is about $1,782.00 below invoice. This should be not too bad. What's the dealer's hold back on ML320? 2% or 3%, anybody knows?

Thanks.
    That sounds like an extremely good price. If you want the vehicle, go for it!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    If you like the vehicle, it's a no brainer, get it.
  • trantatranta Member Posts: 2
    Could you post the contact (dealer name, saleperson name, phone number) that give you that good deal?

The holdback for ML320 is 3% of the total MSRP as listed on edmunds.

Thanks!
  • dbonodbono Member Posts: 8
    Yes, Drew's right, that's a very good price. I started my shopping at the end of last week, and that's much better than I've been able to get using blind e-mails. What dealer/salesperson gave you such a good quote?
    is on now! (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    Dear all, I will go to dealer tomorrow. However, I won't guarantee how many miles are there already because they've only got a couple left with options I want. U know, normally the lowest mileage one will go first.
    I will let you know the details tomorrow.
    Including name, contact info ... ... :)
    My parents are each 50% Filp. My m. grandfather is chinese, my p. grandfather is spanish.

But, man do I love my blood stew... dinner tomorrow night!

Robert
  • imissmyslkimissmyslk Member Posts: 10
    As I ponder my next purchase, I have the following questions for the collective. I know that most of these must have been discussed earlier, but I would like the latest and best thinking of the community:

ML 320 v. ML 430: Is the 430 that much better power and feature-wise?
    Skyview v. Sunroof: Does the noise ruin the Skyview experience? (Any former ragtoppers input will be particularly useful.)
    Bose v. No-Bose.
    Any current pricing/dealer info for Southern California.

Please fire away and thanks for the help.
    Are you thinkning of a 2001 or 2002?

2002 the ML500 will be out and have more power than the 430. This will make the gap between the v6 and v8 much larger.

Will you be towing?

If I could do it again I probably not get the Bose until they adjust speaker placement or make some sonic improvements to the ML. I'm not unhappy but not happy either with the BOSE but the $$ could have gone somewhere else.
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    I use a 3 foot step ladder to wax the roof of my Ml320.

But my parents were of german and polish ancestary.

Therefore, I am 6 ft. tall; hope this helps the discussion with respect to overall tire diameter, parentage and roof reach.
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    First, I miss your SLK too. The dealer manager let me have me a 2001 SLK320 as a loaner and I thought it was a perfect car (except for those two-seats-when-you-have-a-wife-and-two-children and no-AWD-in-the-Midwest things.)

I have a 2000 ML320 and think the acceleration is fine (however I don't tow anything). I haven't driven the 430 though I am sure that more power always feels better. I have read here that the 430 has lower profile tires and rides harder though.

I wrote extensively at #3618 about my skyview roof. In short, I love it. Drew said it is not available for 2002 because of the aircurtains so you'd need to find a 2001.

I haven't heard the non-Bose stereo. I don't think my dealer gets any that way. I like the stereo; may not be perfect but no real choice in the matter anyway.

I live in OH.

(To everyone else: not Filipino, but my wife is 100% Chinese, although she doesn't get to drive the ML.)
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    It seems to me that whenever someone has a safty issue, such as the fuel pump stranging you on the highway, you should send a letter to the dealer with ccs going to MB and especially DOT. By ccing DOT, they are able to build a file. This is something no manufactor want, especially with the Ford fiasco. Just my thoughts.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Robert:
    Is this the pig blood stew one of my Taiwanese friends tried to get me to try? Ewwww :-)

slk:
    If you don't want the Bose, you have to order it. Dealers always get it w/ Bose because the American public has been conditioned to think Bose is good (except for the audiophiles who have a severe allergy to anything Bose....and I know, Drew, I haven't heard the S-class Bose yet ;-).

rocky:
    I have no problems with this and I'm 5'9". I climb on the side steps and the rear tires but can cover everything. No idea how people w/o side steps do it.
    I don't have side steps yet so i use a step stool to do so.

re: pig blood stew - if you didn't know it was that, i think you would try it, although i have to admit, while it's being cooked, it really stinks up the whole house. Trying to ban cooking that in the new house.
    Why can't She (your wife) drive the ML. I'm just curious..

Why are we talking about food here. I just got in to my desk and I feel hungry already. Oh i missed those Mama's home cooking. Hey Homeboys..We have Jolibee restaurant here in San Diego, come and visit us.
    Jim
    i was just in SD this past february. Where was Jolibee? Should have asked you before we went there.
    Its just open this week, Across Sea Food City, so next time you visit SD
    make sure give me a ring. Where are you located at VA cuz the whole family will be there on X-Mas holiday..(Northern VA at Springfield)
    I'm in the Dulles area, so Springfield is not that far. You have relatives in the area?
    glenn, do you mind to give me your E-mail address,cuz we are going to be OT on this board.
    Yes, I have plenty at Fairfax,Lorton and Springfield all from my wife side cuz I'm the only one here, my last name is Batongbakal BTW and don't laugh ok..:-)

Sorry Drew
  • ggoudeli1ggoudeli1 Member Posts: 14
    My '99 truck comes off lease in Nov., at which point the '02 trucks will be out. However, by then the $1,500 rebate will be history and pricing presumably will be firmer.

My question is does it make $ sense to terminate my lease early to take advantage of sub-invoice pricing today, or wait four months, turn in my truck, and get an '02 at '02 pricing?

Thanks, George