Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• ddavis001ddavis001 Member Posts: 14
    Give me a break... this personifies America, today. No one takes responsibility for their own actions... it MUST be someone else's fault... or something else's fault. Just like the kids and guns issue, it must be the guns... it can't be the kids.

Stupidity, I say, simple stupidity. If the judge even HEARS the case, he/she is a dolt as well.
  • ddavis001ddavis001 Member Posts: 14
    :) I wonder what the trade-in would be on this type of deal?
  • rjlimrjlim Member Posts: 30
    itsui, you might want to try precisionauto.com, I think it's cheaper there. I don't know how much clairparts.com's price is, but I bought mine at precisionauto.com for $145. Hope this helps.
  • ksydneyksydney Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the responses to my previous post (#3768) regarding a 2002 ML320 or a 2001 ML430. The information on towing is helpful.

I looked this weekend at the dealer and was a bit dissapointed in the selection. Although they might have had more in back, they only had about 10 ML's in front. I guess it's the time of year when some inventories get low. I have decided to wait to see the 2002 ML320 to actually compare. The salesperson said the 2002's should be coming in August / September, however I would guess they will start in late July.

On a couple of side notes, the dealer seemed very busy compared to the Ford dealer I had stopped by earlier ( I wanted to see the new Explorer). Additionally the MB dealer had a 2002 C320 wagon---WOW--. If only the back seat were a tad wider...

Keith
  • scott902scott902 Member Posts: 46
    If you recall a remote key unit for my ML 320 went into the washer and dryer. Unlikely it would work, after airing out and trying again. I did not think of replacing the batteries....thought no chance it working.

So went to dealer, they replaced batteries re-sync on computer and BRAVO it....WORKS.

I am very impressed, apparently it is sealed very well and is made of good quality.

So if this happens, like in the pool, or toliet, or ocean, it should work again..
  • hansenhansen Member Posts: 18
    What kind of discount should I expect to get on a '01 ML 320 since the 2002 models are coming in. Is it worth it or should I get a 2002?
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    Is the dealer charge you to re-sych your remote? If they do...How much? I bought extra because i thought I lost one of my spare. But I didn't..
    Thanks,
    JimB
  • ylanylan Member Posts: 2
    I hear about MB extended warranty that can be purchased elsewhere at a discount. However my question is what if I trade in my Y2K ML320 before using it, is it refundable and would dealer take this in to consideration for the trade-in value. If you know you might not keep the car longer than 5 years, should you buy the extended warranty?

thanks for your inputs
  • ometofuometofu Member Posts: 53
    www.photopoint.com is back.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    but it's always a good idea to have a backup of stuff you want to have around :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• neil99neil99 Member Posts: 11
    It happened to mine last week while we were having dinner at a restaurant. A F-350 with a trailer backed into my truck and pushed it backward along the curb for at least 3 feet. No observed bodily damages. Just the bumper and the wheel alignments are off. Thank God. The other driver admitted that was 100% his fault. The police station was only 1 block away from the restaurant and we filed a police report immediately.

Questions? Does anyone know a good body shop in the western Chicago suburb? Robert Exconde(sp)?
    IMHO, If the other driver admitted that his 100% fault..Why don't you just take it to the dealer/MB body shop to get it fix so you can be sure that the job is up to the MB spec. If the need some parts or paint to use they are ready available.Just my .02 cent.
    Thanks for your kind advice. The 2 MB dealers in my area do not have their own body shops. They both recommended their outsourcing body shops. I have contacted them both last week and today. I also went to the State Farm Claims Center to get the ball rolling. All estimates came out to be very close to each other. I just want the body shop to repair everything back to original (almost). I know it is impossible to repair to what it was before. I hope nothing major happen to the frame structure.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    MotorWerks of Barrington uses Collision Technique. Wauconda, Illinois

Not sure if I can post it here though.
    When I had my accident, they did great work on my ML

Robert
  • peter81peter81 Member Posts: 3
    I'm trying to buy a 01 320 and am being quoted sticker in TX. How much off sticker or above invoice should I expect? I'm being sold the demand is up and inventory is down song and dance. Help is appreciated.
  • noelbongnoelbong Member Posts: 41
    I don't quite like the engine sound of my '00 ML320. It sounds more like a diesel engine than a gasoline engine. Instead of the smooth 'hm' I think it sounds like "Le le ...." Any thought?

Please don't get offended, maybe it is just my ML that sounds like that.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    What fuel grade are you running or did you get bad gas. The ML engine is a high compression engine, using low octane will cause what is known a dieseling or preignition.
  • nikorrnikorr Member Posts: 23
    I know one in Arlington Heights. He's bodyshop is one of the best around.You will see perfect job on other cars.Will post you more info later today.Dont remember the phone now. ..>> shop is close to BUSSE and CENTRAL <<.. He'll print out for you what must have be done to finish the job.I was there once and it was like the new ....
    P.S. Dont even try MAACO or you will cry :-))
    Marcel
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    When I bought my extended warranty (on a Starmark vehicle) I was told it was transferable on the direct sale to another owner, but not on a trade-in. They did not qualify that by saying "to anybody but us"; it was just not transferable on a trade-in. I don't know if a new vehicle is treated differently.

Why not ask MBUSA.COM's customer assistance people if its transferable back to the dealer?

Its comes with a 4 year warranty. I think the add'l warranty on a new vehicle is expensive though I don't remember what one extra year costs. It also depends on your annual mileage; will you top the 50K in 4 years, or the 5 years?
  • nikorrnikorr Member Posts: 23
    Phone # 847/670 8881 , Auto collision repair.I dont remember the name. Good luck .
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    peter81:
    You should be able to get it for invoice or really close to it. Tell them you know about the 3% holdback and the 2001 incentive to clear out old models.
    If you have to pay MSRP, just tell them to put your name in line for the next 2002 that comes in and you can order all the options exactly as you like, which is useful if you're not a Bose fan since nearly everything on the lot will have Bose.
    If you're in Houston, go to Star Motors and visit Curt Rich. He's a straight shooter and won't yank you around like it sounds like you're getting.

noelbong:
    Has it always sounded this way?
    I've found that the engine is deeper/truckier sounding when stomping on the gas than others like the MDX/RX which sound more like a car engine. Doesn't matter much to me, but it probably bugs some people. :-)
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    Call Lisa Marie Lehrman at Courtesy M/B in Chico, California, she has all your warranty questions answered and at a price that can't be beat. I purchased an extended 4 yr premium waranty for my 430. I personally feel that it is a wise investment.
    BTW, as someone who had a 98 ML320 and now a 00ML430, I can say that the 430 definitely has some advantages, aside from the 00 updates.
    My wife loves the std. MCS navagation system. It has bigger brakes and tires. The power is wonderful for merging onto the freeway. The downside naturally is fuel economy. Wth the 320, we averaged 400 miles per tankfull, with the 430, just over 300 miles per tankfull, according to the trip computor. Nothing like cubic inches, though. It would be wise to price out a 320 with the options that one would prefer and then price out the 430, many of those options are std., thus the price difference deminishes.
  • muller_bfmuller_bf Member Posts: 3
    Hi Folks,

It's been a long time since I've visited this forum.
    My wifes ML320 (1999) is due for its Service B in
    2 weeks. Since I do 98% of the maintenance and repairs
    on my BMW (540i), I figure I might as well do the same
    for the ML, and just send it in for the dealer stamp in the
    service book and some misc stuff.

Any suggestions as to what are the easiest and most cost
    effective items to do-it-yourself in Service B?

What did you folks pay for Service B (pre 2000 ML's, of course).

Thanks.
    John Feng
  • peter81peter81 Member Posts: 3
    I've never used one. Comments please. I'm getting ready to buy a 01 320 and want to pay less than sticker less 1500 rebate.
  • hussungdchussungdc Member Posts: 5
    Without any negotiating, my local dealer (Louisville, KY) stated that they are selling 2001 ML's at invoice right now. He briefly mentioned that it was an MB incentive...but who knows.

I still think I am going to order a 2002...better styling, automatic temp controls, head protection system, etc.
  • tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    MB engine is always noisy, however the noise isn't going to penetrate the cabin due to its superior noise insulator. Unlike BMW, HONDA, or Lexus is known for its quietness. I don't mind it at all as long I can't hear inside the cabin.
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    Tuscaloosa News on the how a MBUSI employee can drive a new ML..."The price for a team-member lease, which includes insurance coverage for all family drivers and passengers, standard maintenance, luxury tax and license tags, is in the range of $400 a month."

here is the article:

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/business/stories/2045businessarchivedstoriespage.html

• tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Pretty good deal, but standard procedure at BMW here in Spartanburg, SC and also at all car manufacturers in Germany. Usually, cost for the lease payment adds up to roughly one percent of the car's (truck's) MSRP. Official goal is to increase the employee's affinity to their workplace (the pride issue), what they're really after is the number of cars on the road as well as exceeding budgeted production figures.

On a side note, my local (Greenville, SC) MB dealer showed me stats saying that more new MBs have been registered here last year than have been Bimmers, even counting factory subsidized leases - not bad...

Tarik
  • richjnjrichjnj Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased new 01 ML320 at the end of June and paid under invoice for Black, M1, Bose CD Changer, heated seats and glass roof. Purchased the car in NJ, I don't know how the Northeast compares to the rest of the country, but, thought I could be of some help to those on the fence about 01' or 02' models. Keep in mind that the dealer is a good friend and my family has been good customers for many years. I'm not sure whether all similar vehicles are being sold for the same price.
    Thanks for the body shop info. Motorwerks is out of my way. The one that nikorr mentioned is closer to my home. I will give them a call.

Thanks for the great help.
  • whatwasthatwhatwasthat Member Posts: 23
    Oil Fill -- My dealer (Hartford, CT, USA) insists that our '01 ML320 came with full synthetic. Is this correct? This will affect when I change the oil.

Engine noise -- noelbong, I know exactly what you are talking about, it sounds like a light diesel compression note, particularly from outside the vehicle. I too was a bit surprised by the sound; nevertheless, a great drivetrain and wonderful vehicle. Enjoy!
    whatwasthat:
    I wish I knew for sure. I emailed mbusi.com w/ my VIN and they said it came with a synth blend. I asked my dealer to set up an appointment for an oil change and they said my 2001 came w/ synth oil and it's a waste of time/money if I don't follow FSS schedules.
    thanks. They gave me the same response, even with my Castrol Syntec sitting in the cargo compartment at their disposal. I hope someone can let us know for sure (although the service tech manager seemed quite insistent that all 2000 and later ML's in the States came with full synthetic).
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

Don't miss the weekly MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! All MB fans/enthusists/owners/potential owners are welcome to participate. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to enter the chat at the times above. Note that the link to the chat is always near the top of this page, just under the discussion topic title:

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

• scott902scott902 Member Posts: 46
    Biker5

Yeah the dealer charged me...$25.00, new batteries and resynch fee
    Thanks,Scott
  • rjlimrjlim Member Posts: 30
    Just got back from the dealer to pick my wife's ML for a change oil, and test drove the C Coupe. Its a fun toy to drive, not so small, not so big and very responsive with 6 speed and heated seats for $27000.
    For more information about the new '02 C230K coupe, you may want to visit the Mercedes-Benz C230K coupe discussion topic.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    Looking at the photos linked below it seems that the 2002 model will have a single CD unit included in the MCS system.

Is this true or am I overlooking something?

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/w163fldc.htm

thanks guys, for sharing your thoughts on my question on ML engine sound. To answer your questions:
    - I feed my ML gas with octane rating 93 ever since I took delivery. I will try switch brand this time.
    - I like tomjava's and whatwasthat's attitude about as long as he doesn't hear the engine sound from inside he is happy.
    - kenyee, my ML has alway sounded like a diesel truck ever since. I only have 4820 mile on it so far. Do you think I should bring it back to MB for a new 02? :) (then again the 02 will probably sound like the same).
    - I saw a late model E-class emitting a cloud of blue exhaust gas on the highway today. Since the M-class shares the same engine with the E-class, I am worried.
    - To be frank, I am beginning to lose confidence on MB after owning one and after reading problems on this forum. It is just me, guys, don't mean to get you down.

-
    My .02 cent. like others SWITCH BRAND.
    The 2002 will be the same. It's a matter of exhaust note tuning IMHO, unless you mean the sound you hear when you stick your head under the hood. It was probably deliberately tuned to sound "trucky" (low frequency) rather than car like (higher frequency). Rev a V6 E class to see what I mean. Same engine as you said ;-)
    Sounds like that guy's E is burning oil. It happens once in a while to all cars. How many E's do you see that don't do that? You can't base a theory from a statistic of ONE! :-)
    Also be aware that most posts on forums like this on the net are about problems. If you want something to worry about, go to www.bimmer.org/x5/messages. Also, go to www.eliteviews.com. You'll find out what a real problem is...
    Keep things in perspective...
  • chaddschadds Member Posts: 11
    Anyone out there having this issue? Dealer replaced unit under hood, cable and pedal assembly and after the car warmed up the same condition is back. Regional service person to look at it next week. My Team is nice but their story is that there are worse ones out there. Please write if you know of a fix or are experiencing this.
    According to a MB rep. reached via the 1-800 line, 2001 ML's came with a synthetic blend until about March, and with full synthetic thereafter. The guy seemed quite knowledgeable.

Noel -- don't worry about the noise (as long as your oil level is appropriate)! As Kenyee mentioned, that's just the exhaust note, ignition sound, etc., that MB engineered into the vehicle.
    I am planning to perform my first oil change this weekend. MB dealer wants $110 for change using synthetic oil. Does anyone know the size of oil filter wrench that fits ML filters? Can I get this filter wrench in any auto parts store or only MB sells one that fits? Please advise.
    Here's the thing though. Here in Canada, we do not have the synthetic oil policy that you all do in the US. Aside from the AMG vehicles, all other MLs (and MB vehicles) get regular mineral oil changes at the dealership, unless you specify that you want something else (as I did; and I brought my own Mobil 1 too, as you know). Unless MBUSI specially builds the Canadian MLs and fills them with mineral oil, I find it odd that they (the Canadian dealers) would switch back to regular mineral oil at the first oil change, especially with the kind of resistance that my service advisor put up to try to convince me that changing to synthetic at about 3500+ kms would be risky. FWIW, I've had zero oil consumption problems either via the dipstick, or the computer check.

Here in Canada, we do not have the 4 years free maintenance, but instead we have a 2 year wear and tear warranty. Regular oil and filter changes are around CDN$55 already (IIRC), but at the MSRP that the dealers charge for Mobil 1 15W50, the price of the change would jump to over $100. Can you imagine if they invoked the MBUSA policy specify that oil synthetic oil is recommended and approved for use? The customers would squeal at the huge jump in prices for an oil change.

In any case, I'll try to find out more info about this from my end. Perhaps MBC or MBUSI can shed more light on this :-)
    Are you located in Malaysia? If so, which part? K.L? Is your dealership Cycle and Carriage?

You may want to look at the following link for detailed oil change instructions:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/diy_oil_change2.htm

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    No special tool needed just use what ever fits to the filter canister, What I did was I always put some protection around the oil filter canister to avoid scratches. Also, If you have a strong grip bare hand will do the job just use a leather gloves to protect your hand and slipping. Good luck and you'll be happy that you did it yourself. Most imfortant you save some bucks.
    biker5, thanks for the oil change info. Appreciate it. Did you use a topsider or you let the oil drain out?

Drew, hi, sorry for the confusion on my nationality. I grew up in M'sia but I am now a U.S. citizen and have been residing in the U.S. for the past 17 yrs. The name Cycle & Carriage does make me feel nostalgic. They are also the Benz dealer in Kuching, Sarawak where I grew up. Thanks for the link on oil change instruction, very detail and useful.
  • pooliopoolio Member Posts: 18
    Chadds are you sure they replaced everything,encluding the gas peddle.Just got my ML back from the dealer today for the same problem.Everything has been replaced,linkage cable, gas peddle,and hardware under the hood.Right now I'm very satisfied.(no sticking,or binding)very smooth.